Sep 13, 2021Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is not a big improvement over Kingmaker, but it is an improvement, nonetheless. Some of its elements are exceptional, like the overwhelming variety in classes, skills, and "paths," or the general epic aura it has, while some other parts sit somewhere between decent and good, like the story (which is a bit too stereotypical), the Crusade portion of the gameplay (which is a buggy chore), and the actual role-playing, which, while fine and all, won't be enough for those spoiled by other modern classics of the genre. Despite some its flaws, it is undoubtedly very entertaining, and highly recommended, as it will surely satisfy your hunger for a good RPG.
|This publication does not provide a score for their reviews.|
|This publication has not posted a final review score yet.|
|These unscored reviews do not factor into the Metascore calculation.|
Sep 3, 2021I’m now preparing to storm Drezen, a fortress-city full of demons. Along the way, I have plenty of quests to take care off to both defeat the Abyssal incursion and dive into the stories of my companions. This is what I want from an RPG, and Owlcat does an stellar job delivering this. The few bugs I encountered were either pathfinding errors (sometimes, one of my characters would just spin around as they tried to get to where they’re going) and one instance of freezing when I was casting a buff spell on my cavalier.
Generally favorable reviews- based on 276 Ratings
Sep 18, 2021I wouldn't recommend this in its current state and even after the bugs are fixed the actual game suffers from serious balancing and pacingI wouldn't recommend this in its current state and even after the bugs are fixed the actual game suffers from serious balancing and pacing problems.
+ Writing is solid, although spoiled by the occasional 'cartoonish' good/evil option.
+ Voice acting is great.
+ Music is on point - some of the best game music I've had in a long time.
+ Itemisation is very cool - less about the numbers and more about the effects.
+ Owlcat really nailed the 'wow' moments of the story.
- Difficulty is extremely erratic. Some mini bosses are easier than regular encounters in the same area.
- Save scumming is a must - many fights hinge on save or die spells (both for and against the player).
- Some fights require very specific meta knowledge and builds.
- Lots of enemies cause permanent debuffs. Not difficult to deal with, just extremely annoying.
- Many companions feel forgotten as they go long stretches without any interaction / quests.
- Many of the companions are simply unlikable with little redeeming features.
- Bag of Tricks mod is mandatory due to broken quests and bugs.
- Game breaking bugs including broken quests. graphical issues, and cut scene problems.
- Some skill/save requirements are simply ridiculous.
- Game requires regular restarts as it slows down after a couple hours played.
- Crusader section feels very underwhelming. Basically Kingmaker but with a diluted HoMM game tacked on.
- Game guides are basically mandatory due to the amount of missable things, and the poor telegraphing for quest/campaign progression.
- You need to manually save regularly due to this as well.
- Secret/True ending requirements often feel arbitrary rather than something you could consciously and naturally work towards.
Bugs aside, the game just isn't fun or challenging, rather it's frustrating and tedious. Every enjoyable moment I've had in this game has quickly been spoiled soon after either through poorly planned quests or tedious fights.
It's a real shame Owlcat seems to have focused so much of their attention on the poorly implemented mechanics, instead of (where I think their true strength might lie) on the story and character development. What little gems of enjoyment WotR has to offer are drowned in the mire of sheer tedium the poorly designed mechanics and gameplay offers. It takes the worst from Kingmaker and expands on it, while seeming to shelve what was good.
WotR is an exhausting mess of over-tuned fights and missed opportunities in character driven story.… Full Review »
Sep 4, 2021Its plagued with bugs, AI cant even autoattack, difficulty is all over the place...feels like beta..No idea how this got good reviews in theIts plagued with bugs, AI cant even autoattack, difficulty is all over the place...feels like beta..No idea how this got good reviews in the current state.… Full Review »