8.7

1. May 23, 2019
    Это именно тот Мор, который мы ждали. Я очень рад, что в России ещё делают игры такого уровня.
  2. Oct 26, 2019
    Pathologic 2 is not without its issues. I'll get those out of the way quickly, so I can get on to explaining why I still esteem the game so highly.

First and worst, combat is as clunky as it was in the original game. But where Pathologic 1 mitigated that with quicksaves, Pathologic 2 has a far more limited save system and permanent death penalties. Those penalties were, in my

Those penalties were, in my opinion, a misstep on the developers' part. They discourage exploration and experimentation in a game that otherwise encourages - or even demands - those very things. The ability to learn through death, rather than fearing and shunning it, would have felt much more congruent with the rest of the game.

Then there is the system by which named NPCs can become infected and die of the plague. A system that feels, too often, like it is completely out of the player’s control. While I'm sure that's part of the point, the plague is implacable, untameable, it is still a system in a game. If the player is to be motivated to interact with that system, they need to feel that their efforts are at least making some difference.

As an experiment, one day I made my rounds, treated everyone as best I could, and waited to see what results midnight would bring. I then reloaded a recent save, took a nap instead...and got the exact same results. The same people lived or died, were infected or remained healthy. A system like that, in which the player's best efforts and complete inaction can produce the same results, is not one that encourages the player to bother with it at all.

Now. With all that said, let's talk about how Pathologic 2 is still an excellent game and well worth your time.

The writing is some of the best I’ve ever experienced in a game. The people of the town, whether on your 'side' or not, are sympathetic and genuine. To your benefit or not, or without you in mind at all, they act according to their own fears and goals and convictions.

This sense of reality extends to the player character. He isn't a bland conduit through which the player can interrogate NPCs. He brings his own beliefs and history to each situation, so the player is always learning about him. He brings his own moods, but a player immersed in the experience will likely feel as he does, so the dialogue options come naturally.

And, perhaps most importantly, conversations flow. From one choice to the next, to a sensible conclusion. Again, no looping back to an interrogatory list of questions. It feels as though you are actually talking to people, as a person. Something sorely lacking in most games with interactive dialogue.

The atmosphere is also wrought perfectly. Ice-Pick Lodge excels at creating a very specific feeling - that of something unique, precious whether or not it is good, disappearing forever. A very autumnal sense of nostalgia and loss. The town, visually and aurally, is always communicating this sense to you. It is, itself, something unique and precious that will never be the same once - if? - this storm passes.

On the more strictly gameplay-mechanical side of things, the synergy between resource management and time management is gripping. Food, water, medicine, a safe place to sleep, places to be, things to do. It immerses you even more deeply in the world and character, and makes the game very difficult to walk away from. There's always the sense that you'll be able to breathe easier if you just find a bit more food, or complete this task, treat this person, make it back to your hideout, or at least through this infected district...the next thing you know, it's two in the morning, and you can't sleep anyways because your thoughts are still walking the streets of the infected town.

All that is why I heartily recommend Pathologic 2, despite its faults. Some of the systems weren't as tight or satisfying as they could have been, but the characters rang true, from the urchins in the warehouses to the town and the plague itself. The world felt real and important, the player’s choices plausible and emotionally difficult. What Ice-Pick Lodge does best, they do BEST, and I hope they can continue doing it for many years to come.
  3. May 31, 2019
    Kryptonite for professional reviewers: it uses difficult mechanics to tell a difficult story. Strongly recommended, if you can handle it.
  4. Oct 25, 2019
    Очень годное переиздание моей любимой игры.Всё пересено в ногу со временем и трендами разработки игр.При этом игра не потеряла того шарма,который был с самого начала.
    -1 балл за оптимизон.
  5. Dec 31, 2019
    Игра не отпускает до финала. Выжимает тебя полностью, пытается заставить тебя бросить прохождение и дарит абсолютно уникальный опыт. Одна из лучших игр на моей памяти
  6. Mar 25, 2020
    This is the most unusual game in the world. Such games have never been, never will be. You will surely never see this again, anywhere. This is the best Russian game ever.
  7. Aug 15, 2019
    10 point - It is a masterpiece
    - 1 point - poor optimization
    Total: 9 out of 10 orgasms
  8. Jun 3, 2019
    Всеобъемлющая, тягучая атмосфера, ею буквально пропитываешься. Стилистика игры, диалоги, история 10/10. Графически, конечно, не Crysis, но картинка вполне хороша. Мне очень нравится как она нарисована. (Единственное, подкачало количество моделей нпс + редизайн некоторых персонажей). Минус балл за оптимизацию.Всеобъемлющая, тягучая атмосфера, ею буквально пропитываешься. Стилистика игры, диалоги, история 10/10. Графически, конечно, не Crysis, но картинка вполне хороша. Мне очень нравится как она нарисована. (Единственное, подкачало количество моделей нпс + редизайн некоторых персонажей). Минус балл за оптимизацию.
  9. Jun 2, 2019
    First of all I would like to say that i haven''t played the original , just heard of it. Nevertheless , I enjoyed the game. There is a lot of things to dislike and maybe even hate but the story ,i think makes it worth playing even with the amount of problems you encounter. And now that i think of it , the story is the only good thing about the game. Other things are somewhat average. IfFirst of all I would like to say that i haven''t played the original , just heard of it. Nevertheless , I enjoyed the game. There is a lot of things to dislike and maybe even hate but the story ,i think makes it worth playing even with the amount of problems you encounter. And now that i think of it , the story is the only good thing about the game. Other things are somewhat average. If you like good story , you should probably try it out. Expand
  10. Aug 24, 2019
    Одна из лучших сюжетно-ориентированных игор за последнее время. Просто дайте ей шанс, и вы сами не заметите, как пролетят эти 12 дней.
  11. Sep 20, 2019
    Pathologic 2 is a real artistic masterpiece! It's very immersive and the story is like no other, eerie and fascinating. This game can be hard since the character needs to survive in a town affected by plague and try to save others as well with limited resources and time. But the recent patch allows players to choose the difficulty level so everyone can find his own pace (although I'dPathologic 2 is a real artistic masterpiece! It's very immersive and the story is like no other, eerie and fascinating. This game can be hard since the character needs to survive in a town affected by plague and try to save others as well with limited resources and time. But the recent patch allows players to choose the difficulty level so everyone can find his own pace (although I'd recommend to try it on an intended difficulty first, it really adds to the atmosphere). If you like dark, mysterious, artsy games and are not afraid of a challenge Pathologic 2 is for you! Expand
  12. Dec 31, 2019
    Great narrative, a game different from all other stories better than the overrated The Witcher 3 and The last of us PLAY PLAY PLAY, game not for idiots for whom the Witcher is the height of the story
  13. Feb 2, 2020
    Cool and not funny story. Plague in city. Atmosphere soundtrack and very cool persons. Must play!
  14. Mar 14, 2020
    I rarelly write reviews but Pathologic 2 had to be the exception. After 80 hours of gameplay, i feel that it is one of the most beutifully made games i've ever played.
    Storyline: Compelling, particurlarly unique and full with interesting lore. The more you play , the deeper you get into the story, the more you want to uncover. Sticking till the end is DEFINITELY worth it!!
    Mechanics: We
    Mechanics: We are talking here about a really hard and punishing game, but on the whole the mechanics system makes the gameplay even more realistic as your charakter tries to survive (find food, water, weapons) in a plague hit city with prices skyrocketing and criminality hitting the streets. The battle mechanics can be a bit clunky but then again...your character is a stepe-surgeon, not a marine . Having a fight or not can be an important decision at times, reminding me of those old school survival horror like SH2 and Resident evil 1-2 .
    Music-Visuals: Some of the best ive ever seen, of course not 3A level but, the shadows.colours, voices, background music create a beautiful atmospheric experience. Almost everything seems to be exactly where it should.
    Hint: In comparison to other games, here you are not the one in the center of the story, events might happen all over the city in real time, whether you are there...or not.. You will have 12 days, it will not be much but...barely enough .Your most important resource is time
    All in all : 9,5/10
  15. Apr 19, 2020
    Популярно выражение о том что философ, для того чтобы понять устройство мира должен быть голодным. И под голодом имеется ввиду не именно биологическое состояние, а состояние духа. Человек, который находится в добром здравии не может и не хочет развиваться, обдумывать, меняться. Эта игра - философия. Именно суровость игрового процесса готовит твой мозг для новых мыслей. Геймплей слабоват,Популярно выражение о том что философ, для того чтобы понять устройство мира должен быть голодным. И под голодом имеется ввиду не именно биологическое состояние, а состояние духа. Человек, который находится в добром здравии не может и не хочет развиваться, обдумывать, меняться. Эта игра - философия. Именно суровость игрового процесса готовит твой мозг для новых мыслей. Геймплей слабоват, графика слабовата, оптимизация слабовата. Сюжет восхитителен и интересен, но одном дыхании проходится. Персонажи великолепны и самобытны. Если рассматривать игру как компьютерную дибилку в которой главное геймплей - не покупайте. Тут больше продукт искусства и философии Expand
  16. Jun 9, 2019
    Не совсем понимаю критиков, отличная игра с хорошей историей и атмосферой. Видимо 8-10 будут получать игры за которые забашляли.
  17. May 23, 2019
    Great story, beautiful art style, remarkable characters, dialogues and stunning sound create atmosphere.
  18. May 23, 2019
    Круто круто круто, то что ждали. Очень интересная и самобытная игра такого хер найдешь.
  19. Jun 24, 2019
    Most of the professional reviewers didn't even bother learning their Lines. Tragic!
  20. Jun 1, 2019
    This is a genuinely good game, but it is a niche one and rather hard to get into. It also has a long way to go, as it really needs perfomance and balance patches and bug fixes and the devs promised 2 extra campaigns, which were present in the original game.
  21. May 24, 2019
    После стольких лет ожидания он наконец-то вышел, словно для меня и не проходило долгих 12 лет с момента первой игры в него. Очень надеюсь, что продажи будут успешными, и нас ждут остальные две истории от ледорубов.
  22. May 23, 2019
    То чего в принципе и ждали все фанаты. По мне так все по канону, очень рад, что могут делать подобные игры.
  23. May 23, 2019
    An important game for the generation. Clunky? yes. Tough? Yes. Unforgettable? You'll never forget.... Yes it is bleak in nature, but it teaches you to push past. On the other side you become better than you were before. Time to be the person you've always wanted to be!
  24. Jun 21, 2019
    Отлично! Великолепно! Графику подтянули, атмосферу не испортили. Сюжет топ.
  25. Jun 20, 2019
    The first part (the Haruspex scenario) is simply brilliant and very true to the original Pathologic. Can't wait to play the Bachelor and the Changeling!
    As for those who are new to this game and its universe - I strongly recommend to play it on medium difficulty ("Larva") because otherwise it will be a pretty tough experience and can scare you away.
  26. Sep 3, 2019
    One of the most immersive and harrowing experiences out there. This game really deserves an 11/10. If approached with a bit of patience and tenacity, Pathologic 2 can be the best the medium has to offer.
  27. Jul 12, 2020
    Deeper than the deepest ocean, higher than the highest mountain.

Almost as sick as you. You do not look healthy.
  28. Jul 1, 2020
    Don't listen to the critics who gave up on the game because "it's too hard". This game is art, disempowers you, every choice it's weight. Best game experience I had in years, you just have to get into it.
  29. Jun 20, 2020
    The greatest art game of all time. Incredibly ambitious and philosophical without ever coming off as pretentious.
  30. May 13, 2020
    Pathologic 2 is a coomplex and very atmospheric survival-RPG game that will not leave you indifferent. And I advise everyone to play this game.
  31. Jun 29, 2020
    This is the only game that I've ever played that successfully dis-empowers the player in a way as to not come across as disrespectful or pretentious. You really feel just like another character in the story and don't really stand out unless you work really hard for it. The plague setting is perfectly executed and represented by the characters themselves, even to a point that very muchThis is the only game that I've ever played that successfully dis-empowers the player in a way as to not come across as disrespectful or pretentious. You really feel just like another character in the story and don't really stand out unless you work really hard for it. The plague setting is perfectly executed and represented by the characters themselves, even to a point that very much predicted how covid ended up being treated by high-power individuals.
    In an industry where the most talented technical workers are stuck on a battle of "who can make the most realistic-looking shooter?", Ice-Pick Lodge dives deep into unexplored aspects of games and, by consequence, developed a real masterpiece. This is a game where the Theory of mind applies and all credit for that goes to the writing of each character.
  32. Mar 29, 2020
    Amazing game.
    Awesome characters.
    9 point - It is a masterpiece
    +1 point - graphics
    Total: 10 out of 10 orgasms
  33. Feb 1, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Невероятная глубина, отличный сюжет и интересный геймплей. Expand
  34. Feb 2, 2020
    This is very cool game, i love Ice-Pick Lodge games, they are very good. Pathologic 2 is very good story of plague.
  35. Feb 2, 2020
    Not bad graphic with very interesting story. World need a this games, not funny and not easy.
  36. Feb 2, 2020
    Очень глубоко продуманная игра, далеко не для всех. Хочется только похвалить Ice-Pick Lodge за проделанную ими работу.
  37. Feb 23, 2020
    Pathologic isn't a fun game. It aims instead to be enthralling, and it succeeds immensely. The game creates an excellent atmosphere of anxiety, dread, and unease, using music and sound effects to great effect. Although the game can look a bit iffy at times, most of the time it looks great. The game play adds greatly to this sense of anxiety due to having to manage your health, immunity,Pathologic isn't a fun game. It aims instead to be enthralling, and it succeeds immensely. The game creates an excellent atmosphere of anxiety, dread, and unease, using music and sound effects to great effect. Although the game can look a bit iffy at times, most of the time it looks great. The game play adds greatly to this sense of anxiety due to having to manage your health, immunity, hunger, thirst, and exhaustion, causing you to not have enough time to complete all the goals given to you within a given day. The writing in the game is also top notch, having a very novelesque feel to it. The only thing holding this game back from a 10/10 is some performance problems. Other than that though, a phenomenal game that I highly recommend. Expand
  38. Apr 20, 2020
    Outstanding! Good choice. Very scary and interesting journey. Must play guys!
  39. May 7, 2020
    Game starts a little clunky and that can scare of newcommers. At the beginning you are completely disoriented and frankly, I thought it's just broken - it's 12th day, people talk to me like it's half of the story, dialogues are weird and feel like don't do anything... after that you pass through the tutorial where you witness some weird scenes. AFTER THAT story begins. You are coming backGame starts a little clunky and that can scare of newcommers. At the beginning you are completely disoriented and frankly, I thought it's just broken - it's 12th day, people talk to me like it's half of the story, dialogues are weird and feel like don't do anything... after that you pass through the tutorial where you witness some weird scenes. AFTER THAT story begins. You are coming back to your home town, back from unfinished medical studies, for your father's request. You go back and you are getting involved in fight - three cadavers lie on the ground. Also, it happens your father was murdered and you are the suspect. At the first day of coming back to town people don't trust you, you are an outsider, folks in town try to lynch you few times. After connecting to few friends you are cleared of all suspitions, but there is much, much larger problem at the horizon - the plague...

Game is mix of cruel and forgiving - on the one hand survival mechanics are really rough (you will find yourself often selling last part of your clothes for simple apple bite), but if (or rather, when) you die, you just come back to the last save point - it is even integral to the story.

Play only if you are into challenging games. Visuals are absolutely great, storywise this game is also very immersing. I have my struggle with lack of voice recordings of dialogues - but it is understandable, knowing that the whole budget for the game was around 300,000$. It's absolutely wonderful that that game exists and creators were stubborn enough to release it.
  40. May 14, 2020
    The critics' reviews are a joke.

The critics' reviews are a joke.

I say that as someone who usually looks at critics' reviews before watching a movie or playing a game. But in this case there seems to be great ignorance on the part of the reviewers about how this game works. Yes, it's hard. This is a deliberate feature which actually serves to make the game so much more immersive. Survival in this game is tough, and sometimes it's frustrating, but that also makes it that much more rewarding.

Focusing on the survival mechanics also ignores the real beauty of this game, which is art direction and writing. This is a beautifully-realized world featuring the merging of two worlds, a strange turkic steppe culture and Russian settlers. I've never been so intrigued by a game's settings.
  41. Jun 19, 2020
    A groundbreaking experience. I've honestly never played anything that comes close to how this game merges story and gameplay. An artistic masterpiece, for sure
  42. Jun 23, 2019
    There's an interesting story in here somewhere but you'll be too busy playing whack-a-mole with your survival meters to ever see it.
  43. nd_
    Sep 7, 2019
    The Fail. Terrible technically, plastic artificial, boring. Perhaps it could be good 10 years ago - but this is not the graphics for 2019. As it has extremely bad sales, lets wait for a huge discount.
  44. Sep 4, 2019
    An incredibly boring game before you can even reach anything exciting you need to pass through these artsy scenes that are just tedious and boring and loads of text that barely provides anything useful.The creators tried to create something artistic and visually good but they failed miserable at it.The gameplay is lacking and the optimization is incredibly bad.I was so excited forAn incredibly boring game before you can even reach anything exciting you need to pass through these artsy scenes that are just tedious and boring and loads of text that barely provides anything useful.The creators tried to create something artistic and visually good but they failed miserable at it.The gameplay is lacking and the optimization is incredibly bad.I was so excited for this game and was also expecting that you will be able to play and choose from 3 characters like they promised but that was a lie and you only play as 1 character.The survival aspect is really badly done and you can barely reach any point in the story if you are not fully stacked with food,water and medicine.The game tries to be bizzare but it only comes out as annoying and pretentious.The first game was amazing but this one is just dull.

Reading the other reviews, people seem to think this game is doing something ground breaking. I didn't see it. Other games are grim, surreal, difficult, have good dialogue, have plot lines that should be avoided, etc... It's all been done before with varying degrees of success.

Ultimately, I say skip it. Save your money. If you would like to put yourself through tedium with at least some tangible payout, pick up a few late night shifts at work. At least you'll make some money at the end instead of waste it.
  45. Sep 4, 2020
    Another boring walk simulator. You look at wired crap and think up pretentious themes for the wired crap then preform fellatio of your self for making yourself feel so smart. Complete dweeb **** game.
  46. Jul 24, 2020
    Честно говоря не ожидал такую шикарную игру. Раньше ничего не слышал о ней, думал очередная инди. Но нет. Я почти неделю провел в ней не вылезая. Я терпеть не могу сложные, хардкорные игры, многие даже бросал поэтому. Но эту я прошел до конца несмотря на все сложности. В ней все имеет последствия, в ней все продумано. Она дарит уникальный опыт и имеет огромные возможности реиграбельности.Честно говоря не ожидал такую шикарную игру. Раньше ничего не слышал о ней, думал очередная инди. Но нет. Я почти неделю провел в ней не вылезая. Я терпеть не могу сложные, хардкорные игры, многие даже бросал поэтому. Но эту я прошел до конца несмотря на все сложности. В ней все имеет последствия, в ней все продумано. Она дарит уникальный опыт и имеет огромные возможности реиграбельности. Я бы мог написать огромный обзор по ней, да думаю нет смысла, все до меня говорили. Порадовали и картинка, и шикарный саундтрек, и геймплей, и механика с ограниченным временем и кучей заданий. Но один балл все же сниму, за две вещи. Во-первых, система диалогов. Несмотря на огромное количество вариантов ответов, они почти ни на что не влияют. Даже когда отвечаешь абсолютно по разному, диалог линеен. А в ролевых играх диалоги крайне важная вещь. Во-вторых, даже после прохождения непонятно огромное количество вещей. Зачем спасать людей и персонажей? Это очень дорогой процесс, но толку? Ради пары-тройки квестов? Да и те зачастую разочаровывали. Потратил кучу времени на спасение, например, Ласки или других детей. А все квесты появлявшиеся вокруг них были бредовыми. Какие-нибудь пустые, ни к чему не приводящие диалоги, или же хоть и сюжетные, но в целом бесполезные и сразу забывающиеся события. Вероятно, если сесть и сложить все детали пазла, все станет ясно. Но кто же будет этим заниматься?
    Вот такие небольшие замечания, в остальном игра замечательная.
  47. Aug 22, 2020
    this is my favorite game. my review must be at least 75 characters long.
  48. Jul 3, 2020
    Truly an eerie, gratifying experience full of atmosphere. The reactive world and the NPCs in it are dark and intriguing but this game has much difficulty, save often and waste no time.
  49. Jun 5, 2020
    История затягивает с самого начала. Суперинтересные диалоги и история. Единственный минус - оптимизация
  50. Sep 24, 2020
    One of the best and atmospheric games I've ever played.
    It's made by tiny russian game studio, so that means that you probably have never heard of this game because it's totally opposite to the experience you could gather from the mainstream games and industry. This game was created for you to suffer and to feel the pain of dying and living.
    I know that many could find this game
    One of the best and atmospheric games I've ever played.
    I know that many could find this game unbearable, so I write this review for people who'd like to experience something out of conventional gameplaying.
    If you manage to survive, at least, halfway through, this game will change you forever. Try it.
  51. Sep 20, 2020
    A brilliant unison of storytelling and gameplay, Pathologic 2 goes its own seperate way unburdened by the norms of contemporary game design. The result is a spectacular triumph of a game that comes once in a decade.
  52. Jul 14, 2020
    An exceptional game with exceptional systems that can make morally complex scenarios other games just script, other games will force you to feel sad about some random dude the game forced you to kill, pathologic 2’s systems can create natural scenarios where you can consider to do many morally bad choices just to survive and that is where the game shines where others try, it’s not a gameAn exceptional game with exceptional systems that can make morally complex scenarios other games just script, other games will force you to feel sad about some random dude the game forced you to kill, pathologic 2’s systems can create natural scenarios where you can consider to do many morally bad choices just to survive and that is where the game shines where others try, it’s not a game where you can make a perfect run, nor you can complete every quest there is in the map nor you can save every character, it tries to be more than many games from the market and wants to create a hard but engaging experience.
    This is one of the best games that utilizes difficulty to tell a story, to create a terrifying ambient, to empathize with the people and to make you fear the spread of the pest, and there are many things you can talk about this game this review would be enormous.
    If you want to play the game, TRY IT, it’s a hard game and I can comprehend that there are some people that can’t simply play the game in the intended way but if you can play the intended difficulty, play it that way, you will die many times but don’t worry, it is something natural and the game expects you to die, the maximum theme of the game I can argue is failure and to succeed even in the worst situation.
    Only one thing before you play the game, DO NOT EVER MAKE THE FELLOW TRAVELLER’S DEAL AFTER DYING TO MUCH.
  53. Sep 22, 2020
    an unrivaled and unique experience. this game is difficult and surreal with writing second to none. if some one wants an example of video games as art, point them to this game. everyone should experience this rich and nearly flawless game.
  54. Jun 24, 2020
    Pathologic 2 is probably the best game i've ever played. I don't have experience with the original Pathologic so this review is based solely on Pathologic 2.

Mechanically, The game is challenging but fair. The developers use the game mechanics (hunger, Immunity, health, etc.) and economy to great effect. You experience the tenseness and desperation that one would feel if they found themselves in a plague infected town in the Russian Steppe. I've seen complaints about the combat; in my experience it was difficult but fair. I did not find it to be very "janky".

Artistically this game really can't be beat. It is stunningly beautiful and terrifying at the same time. The character models are amazing, The sound design/music is up there with the Legend of Zelda games (probably better), and the writing is HONESTLY the best i've ever seen in a game. If there were a Pathologic novel i'd be reading it right now.

The last thing i have to mention is the dynamic quest system which can be viewed in the "Thoughts" page. The game is so good at pushing you to investigate different quest lines which each have multiple different articulation points and end in multiple, often unpredictable ways.

To summarize, I never expected that I would love this game so much, nor did i expect to give any 10 score reviews but here we are. In many ways i view Pathologic 2 as a contemporary take on Majora's Mask. There is really nothing else like it.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Edge Magazine
    Jan 3, 2020
    "Unbearable" is definitely one word for Pathologic 2, but that hides a few others: engulfing, ingenious, profound, invigorating. [Issue#341, p.106]
  2. Sep 11, 2019
    Pathologic 2, just like its predecessor, has a ton of annoying routines which will easily scare away even the most patient players. Yet after getting through the game to the last bow I felt a sudden urge to return to this moody prairie town in the middle of nowhere.
  3. Aug 12, 2019
    A very difficult game that can be frustrating at times, but ultimitely does keep you entertained. Worth adjusting the difficulty to make it more playable.