5.8

1. Dec 3, 2019
    so much good ideas... so much they **** it up.

QA / release is really... WTF ? So many bugs... So many ! 1. Game freezes constantly 2. You cant see damage done by aliens when zoomed 3. zooming and focus is just bugged Here you see the difference between AAA Studio vs start up ... Oh **** I really wanted to love the game. But I can not start over every mission over and over
    so much good ideas... so much they **** it up.

QA / release is really... WTF ?

So many bugs... So many !

1. Game freezes constantly
    2. You cant see damage done by aliens when zoomed
    3. zooming and focus is just bugged

Here you see the difference between AAA Studio vs start up ... Oh **** I really wanted to love the game. But I can not start over every mission over and over again because of the constant freezes

be careful with nvidia 1080 / 1080ti these seem to have problems

Hope they will fix the game. It has so much potential
  2. Dec 4, 2019
    The fact that Snapshot games kept referring to Firaxis' last two Xcom games ended up hurting it.
    Truth is I was bored ten minutes in, 3 hours later? It hadn't changed.
    Truth is I was bored ten minutes in, 3 hours later? It hadn't changed.
    You start out with two soldiers, rescue a third one (not as much as a hello), afterwards you're told to do some repairs. Then suddenly you have 3 more soldiers the next mission (no introductions, you didn't recruit them, you're just left with a "Huh... where did these guys come from?"

Story/narrative feels completely absent (save the cutscenes giving you a vague introduction).
    As it's quite impossible to not compare it to Firaxis' games? I've got to say... I -miss- Bradford, Chen, Vahlen, Lily (Xc2). Having characters (that aren't faceless/without personality) did wonders for that game. Truth is? In Phoenix Point I don't feel I -care- for the soldiers under my command, nor any other people you come across.

Phoenix Point to me, is just a bunch of numbers, menus and stats. I'm a backer (who -really-really-really- hoped the game would be up to expectations. At the very least not be disappointing.
    As reviews are always linked to what you feel about a game (are you having fun or not), I'm having trouble recommending it.

As for me, personally? I'm not enjoying it (6 hours in). I -do- hope, and I really mean that, that Phoenix Point will keep evolving, and perhaps over time it'll win me over
  3. Dec 4, 2019
    Slow animations (the jetpack is painful to watch and drags on the combat), serviceable but little more.

The monster design is cool, but the choice of interface and art direction of the rest of the game makes me wonder where did the Fig and Epic game went: why is an indie studio like Goldhawk Interactive able or willing to put more effort in the base for Xenonauts 2 than the creator of the "XCOM genre" with way more funding?

Why is everything so lacking in "oomph" using jetpacks in a newer tactics game than using a grappling hook or just door-kicking a door or jumping through a window in a game from 2012? It's neither as elaborate or complex as Xenonauts, nor action-intensive or eye catching as XCOM, and the lack of actual story telling I personally missed: I spent the time I was playing it wondering why I wasn't trying Mutant: Year Zero, replaying XCOM: War of the Chosen, or looking over Xenonauts 2 instead.

Since I couldn't give myself a satisfying answer to neither question, I reinstalled XCOM 2, and I'd recommend you to make the same. It's just a better game.
  4. Dec 4, 2019
    The best game I've bought this year. Though I've only bought about 3 full priced games.
    I have well over 800 hours in XCOM 2 and bought the original Microprose terror from the Deep on UK release day in the 90's and completed it on the hardest level many times.
    This is pitched somewhere between the Firaxis games and the Microprose games in terms of depth. It has a lot of user QOL improvements, good graphics and despite a couple of bugs (Overwatch can be flakey) it is a great game already.
    The tutorial does a great job. It explains the basics but leaves so much to discover,a nd that is - after all - a HUGE part of the game. Discovering what to buildm what goes where. There does not seem to be a right way to win, different strategies seem to work if they are well thought out. But the game lets you discover much for yourself and for me that is far preferable to being hand held.
    After the tutorial you can do anything and everything - but only at a superficial level. The rest is for you to find out. That's the ideal tutorial as far as I'm concerned Discovery and imagination are key gameplay ideas that so many developers destroy by forcing you to play a certain way and explaining every nut and bolt of the game
    It's a lot more stable (for me) than XCOM 2 was at launch and looks considerably better, The geoscape is a vast improvement over the Firaxis game. The UI in the base is clean and simple to understand the aliens are wonderful and that game has become a classic with solid developer support, well priced and effective DLC's and a massive boost from an enthusiastic modding community.
    Phoenix Point starts in a better place (as far as I'm concerned) and with good support could (and perhaps should) be a better game in timer than XCOM 2 is with mods, DLC's and bug fixes.
    It's a solid game now. 50-60 hours for a game that costs quite a bit less than most AAA releases.

I'll be playing this game a lot in the coming months. This and Factorio are the only two games I'll play till Spring probably. Wish I had more time for games and wish there were more games like this :)
  5. Dec 23, 2019
    I really like xcom and this is a decent clone. Or at least it could have been. The problem is that there is no balancing making some missions impossible thus forcing you to replaying them. Also you can see that the XCOM team is much more experienced, there are many comfort functions missing like switching to the next soldier while the other is still running. The story is interesting badI really like xcom and this is a decent clone. Or at least it could have been. The problem is that there is no balancing making some missions impossible thus forcing you to replaying them. Also you can see that the XCOM team is much more experienced, there are many comfort functions missing like switching to the next soldier while the other is still running. The story is interesting bad badly implemented, you are not really immersed into it and it often feels a bit forced. Also there was no warning that the game will not be on Steam when I kickstarted it, disappointing to see that the developers where bought. Expand
  6. Jun 12, 2020
    I really like the premise of this game but the implementation is extremely laking on balancing and quality assurance.

Even on the lowest difficulty the artificial difficulty makes the game extremely slow and punishing, with the same aliens increasing their HP exponentially between missions while also throwing more and more at you. This wouldn't be a problem if your units could keep up, but this is impossible unless you use some of the exploits that the community already consider mandatory for the game, forcing everyone to play exactly the same way if they don't want to fail after 7 or 8 mission inevitably.

Another Issue I have with the devs is that they notice that the community was asking for valance changes, they asked for feedback and I was hopeful for the game again. But they decided to implement some of the community recommendations as DLC! Basically a pay to win circumstances.
  7. Dec 25, 2019
    Promising game that is crippled by an absurdly high level of difficulty. Even on Easy I have to use a trainer to have a chance in later missions. But that destroys the fun of the game completely. Even if I hate to give up, I have to realize now that it makes no sense to torture myself with it any longer. This isn't a game, it's frustrating, hopeless work without any pay. That's really aPromising game that is crippled by an absurdly high level of difficulty. Even on Easy I have to use a trainer to have a chance in later missions. But that destroys the fun of the game completely. Even if I hate to give up, I have to realize now that it makes no sense to torture myself with it any longer. This isn't a game, it's frustrating, hopeless work without any pay. That's really a pity, because the game mechanics and the story would in principle be a lot of fun. Expand
  8. Dec 28, 2019
    After almost a hundred hours into this game, it`s might seem hard to give it a low rating. I do because much of this time was spend grinding for resources, doing the same missions over and over again, running into bugs, looking for story missions (that actually differ from the ordinary kill everything missions). I spend all this time hoping it would get better, but research takes foreverAfter almost a hundred hours into this game, it`s might seem hard to give it a low rating. I do because much of this time was spend grinding for resources, doing the same missions over and over again, running into bugs, looking for story missions (that actually differ from the ordinary kill everything missions). I spend all this time hoping it would get better, but research takes forever and after all this time in the game I'm nowhere near the end - even though I couldn't tell because there's not really a clear story ark.
    The game certainly has it's pros, like flexible class composition and great measure of freedom in planning and executing on the strategic level. Also the diplomacy is a big plus.
    On the other hand, there are only very few types of enemies and the weapons are very similar to each other - most of which you get early in the game. The overall game progression it ridiculously slow. I guess the first 20 hours or so are neat and that's what most reviewers see.

But then it falls apart. No new missions, enemies, weapons. But grave balancing issues. Some skills and especially combinations of skills are overpowered so that it looks like an exploit: An attack on the third biggest alien base requires you to kill a specific big alien, which you can see from your starting point. With the right skills, you can kill it in one action, ending what is supposed to be one hard type of mission with just that.
    And that's even more sad, as you usually have to kill everything. In missions where you don't, balancing fails. Often in not in your favor, so that half your soldiers get killed the first enemy turn, no matter what you do.
    Oh! I'm a die-hard XCom fans since the original one in the 90s from Micropose. I really would love to see a proper remake. What troubles me in phoenix point also is the practically none-existent base building. You just discover bases (and can't even choose the location) and then you seldomly need to build anything in them. You build one storage unit, one alien containment and it's enough for the game. Hospitals are useless because you can use medipaks instead, base defence non-existent.

What brings me to the last point at which I quit. If your base get's attacked you'll get a timer. You can move soldiers there, if you have them near. But they need to be relatively near, because even the fastest vessel doesn't cross a third of the globe in that timer. If the timer runs out before you can send in troops, you'll love that base. So - you'll have to reload and send troops before the attack timer even starts. If you did a difficult mission just before or during the timer and don't want to reload to much earlier. Your bad. You'll lose a base without having had any chance to do anything about it.

And after all those hours spend doing repetitive missions for resources and not being offered anything new to keep you going, that really breaks it for me.

Could have been much more. I suspect they just ran out of budget. Due to the fact that it's a crowd-founding game. With all the additions build in and a lot of balancing and bugfixing, it could really be better then the Firaxis XCom. Shame I couldn't wait and played it now and not after a year. Maybe I'll take another look then. Glad I bought it, so they can work on it some more.
  9. Jan 20, 2020
    Do you like deceptive game trailers? Are you a fan of paying full retail for half a game, and then paying full retail twice more for base content sold as DLC? Do you like frequent bugs that make the game unplayable, self-corrupt save games, "balance" in a game that's an unplayable mess and a customer service department that practically sings "COMPLIMENTS ONLY PLOX, NO REFUNDS KEK"?Do you like deceptive game trailers? Are you a fan of paying full retail for half a game, and then paying full retail twice more for base content sold as DLC? Do you like frequent bugs that make the game unplayable, self-corrupt save games, "balance" in a game that's an unplayable mess and a customer service department that practically sings "COMPLIMENTS ONLY PLOX, NO REFUNDS KEK"? Buddy, have I got the game for you: Phoenix Point. A spiritual successor to XCom: Apocalypse (the worst XCom game from the 90s) with an update of Terror From The Deep's aesthetic, (admittedly, I like this portion--the main reason for one of the two stars [out of ten]) with all the effort and attention to detail you've come to expect from an industry that doesn't care what they ship as long as they can make money on pre-orders. Content that appeared in the trailers does not exist in the game, and likely will not until it drops (who-knows-when) as paid dlc, graphics that don't measure up to what's shown on the best settings, unoptimized engine, frequent freezes, crashes and zero guarantee that your return to your saved game will not result in a failure to load error. The UI is something you'd expect from someone who's learned nothing about graphic interfaces in the last 30 years, gameplay is lacking in everything--except unnecessary time sinks to pad play time and repetition, and once you buy this game, your hopes of getting your money back are as minimal as your chances of actually enjoying the lies that are Phoenix Point. Expand
  10. Dec 23, 2019
    This game is an improvement (idea wise only) from XCOM 1 , it has nothing on XCOM 2, I was stupid enough to pay for the full game with the pass to get everything and it is really bad. I played 27 hours and It is a waste of money.
    I like the vehicles and the aircrafts, I like the faction warring, but the game is not new player friendly, the characters are very unremarkable, the classes are bad, the graphics are bad and the maps are very limited.
    I regret paying for that game. If you want to try it still don't pay the full price for it, wait till it drops below 20 $.
  11. Dec 25, 2019
    The game quickly bored me and began to annoy. You will not see anything new in this game. Better to play XCOM again.
  12. Dec 24, 2019
    Interesting at first. it get's boring on the long way. Diplomacy is so flat it makes me cry. They should rather remove it that make it this awfull. Rather stick with XCOM or Xenonauts
  13. Dec 25, 2019
    Game seems to have such a big potential. Great mechanics for tactical combats and new solutions for this kind of games.

But what makes my score so low it's: there are plenty of bugs! Game constantly freezes (Laptop user) and there is no autosave every turn. Freezes can happened every 4th mission or often making this game unplayable. Enemy can move at surface inaccessible for your

But what makes my score so low it's:

Freezes can happened every 4th mission or often making this game unplayable.
    Enemy can move at surface inaccessible for your crew.
    Interfaces are not convenient to manage your team members, and aircraft (after having more than 3 its very hard to to maintain geo-scape map.
    Researching does not bring you a lot of useful stuff (other havens have all you need to progress)
  14. Jan 5, 2020
    This game is nearly a **** even though I like turn-based tactic games particularly and strategies as a whole.
    Gameplay copies XCOM while screaming everywhere that it's not XCOM. Literally, this game took the worst mechanics from XCOM and added their own fails. Ok, there is no % hit chance, however, the covers work absolutely awful. I mean part and full covers. There is no difference between cover types and my soldiers got hit even behind the walls. Most of the time covers work against me as they don't allow to shoot or overwatch enemies (WHILE THEY CAN HIT MY SOLDIERS AT THE SAME TIME). That is also another point that makes me mad: soldiers can't turn or peek in covers. Staying near the door they literally look into the wall, while are expected to look into the next room or at least be able to peek and shoot there. Line of sight works pretty bad while shooting and even worse during the overwatch.
    Next. You can't research new weapons or gear. Yes, you can disassemble and copy them, but "scientists with guns" as someone says about Phoenix organization can't make something new or improve the existing gear. Factions are... well, they could have been interesting. However, their principles and differences are pretty uncertain, so I couldn't choose any to ally, although I have to. And why do I have to? Aren't they all humans and the game idea is "humans vs crabs"? Moreover, if I choose to ally with New Jericho, as I want to get their guns and stuff (as my own scientists are morons), I have to fight against other factions - against humans (instead of the real threat) and loot their gear (while I want New Jericho's ones).
    Enemies are pretty interesting and well-designed (mostly the crabs). But the battle mechanics are bad, so it's not interesting to fight. Almost forgot! The aiming and the ability to shoot off some body parts. Do you know that the head is not so important for humans? **** headshot from **** sniper rifle DOES NOT instantly kill the human. That is so stupid that I couldn't believe in this ****.
    The graphic is usual (worse than XCOM 2). However, the details are awful, for example, the hairstyles. The effects are mediocre as well. Music and sounds? Well, nothing to remember. The story? Dialogs? They just exist. Nothing new, nothing interesting. WE ARE NOT XCOM - that's the main idea of the story.
    To summarize, the game doesn't worth the attention of the players (and it absolutely won't be interesting for the players new to turn-based tactics).
  15. Jan 17, 2020
    Suffers from the same design flaw as nearly every X-Com wannabe including the terrible rebooted X-Com games: enemies get free attack after free attack and usually bonus movement as well. My first battle with other humans consisted of me moving, getting hit by free reaction shots, firing back, getting hit by free return fire, repeat ad infinitum. Even after enemies use full movement theySuffers from the same design flaw as nearly every X-Com wannabe including the terrible rebooted X-Com games: enemies get free attack after free attack and usually bonus movement as well. My first battle with other humans consisted of me moving, getting hit by free reaction shots, firing back, getting hit by free return fire, repeat ad infinitum. Even after enemies use full movement they can do this. Couldn't uninstall fast enough. Expand
  16. Mar 13, 2020
    [Edit 14-Mar-20 - I'm going to bump this up to a 5/10, because the March patches have done a lot to address the issues. That said, I still had to cheat the final level (and it was horrible even with cheats), so I'm still not persuaded it deserves more than 5/10]

I am so bitterly disappointed in this game. First and foremost, it is *stupidly* difficult and unforgiving. There's nothing innovative about the monsters, they just hit really hard, and can take repeated sniper rifle shots to the face without dying. I should note that I've played similar games without issues, *and* I had Phoenix Point on the easiest setting. Worse, it's often not apparent that you've made a critical error until literally twenty hours of gameplay later, by which stage it's much too late to actually do anything about it.

Secondly, the devs repeatedly pushed the release date out, ostensibly to make sure that it was polished and bug free. I also waited a month after it came out to avoid the worst of the (inevitable) bugs. Despite this, it was buggy as all hell, and even the hotfixes just seemed to solve one set of problems while creating another.

Finally, it is very poorly optimised. My PC is relatively high-end, but it runs like a pig, and frequently hangs on enemy turns (which, as it happens, cannot be halted or interrupted so you can reload).
  17. Feb 4, 2020
    Horrible animations, the game engine is outdated and boring. The menus look like a mobile game and the combat is slow and boring as well.

I would NEVER buy this game or recommend it to anyone.

The voice acting is laughable, it sounds like some dev recorded himself with his phone...
  18. Feb 12, 2020
    This game is the shining example of how to make something absolutely mediocre. Whoever said that this was from the creators of X-Com, is lied. There is a retextured X-Com game with the missing about 70% of the fun, an added 40% not fun, including unnecessary game mechanics, like AMMO.

This game shows the difference between professional game making and amateur game making. You can feel that the creators absolutely not loved the game at all, and they aren't really even players.
    You get CRABS (???) instead of aliens, a terrifyingly bad MOBILE HUD instead of a clean and professional one, an overtextured, terribly optimized graphics instead of a nice and clean one and the most boring campaign you ever had.

The story is just simply idiotic.

I really wanted to love it, but I caught myself falling asleep constantly.

Why did they even had to make this game?

EDIT:

After playing 20+ hours, I have to say that this is pretty much a decent game. While I still don't like the art-style, the game mechanics is pretty interesting and contains lots of stuff which was missed from X-Com2. Only, you have to take time to unravel this. But there is still no interesting story-line. The optimization is terrible, including the huge loading time.

Therefore I give it a 6 score instead of a 3, after all.
  19. Dec 19, 2019
    Я вообще не понимаю кто и почему ставит этому... оценку 10. Это просто неиграбельный кусок долгостроя, который откладывали миллион раз и лучше бы закрыли. Патчи ломают 25 вещей, 10 чинят. В итоге чем дальше в лес, тем больше "веселья".

Каждая миссия это рандом, где может заспавниться 10 неубиваемых врагов. Или таких же 10 убиваемых. Не получилось, реролим карту и мобов. Мобы всегда в

Мобы всегда в курсе о враге, не важно в какой точке карты они стоят. Аим мобов в 90/100 не мажет.

Вариативность карт, нет не слышали. Разнообразие врагов, нет не слышали.

Лучше перепройти Х-Сом чем эту пародию.
  20. Dec 20, 2019
    Buggy on release, although that may be fixed over the time. What can't be fixed so easily are the repetetive and boring missions. Go there, kill that, finished. Over and over again. Tech tree is virtually non-existant. You are forced to ally with at least one of three equally appaling factions to get some useful tech and gear. The map design of combat missions is lacking, to say the least,Buggy on release, although that may be fixed over the time. What can't be fixed so easily are the repetetive and boring missions. Go there, kill that, finished. Over and over again. Tech tree is virtually non-existant. You are forced to ally with at least one of three equally appaling factions to get some useful tech and gear. The map design of combat missions is lacking, to say the least, as are the construction options when building your bases. Everything that added salt&pepper to the classic xcom not to say the 2012 re-release has been dumbed down in Phoenix Point. Expand
  21. Dec 30, 2019
    I have played the first xcom game and since then absolutely loved the franchise. Needless to say, enjoyed some titles and dropped some very quickly. This is conditional love. Some time back I watched the phoenix point trailer and completely forgot about the game. Few months later... or years and I can see this gem in the xbox beta pc store. I thought about it for like 0.1 second andI have played the first xcom game and since then absolutely loved the franchise. Needless to say, enjoyed some titles and dropped some very quickly. This is conditional love. Some time back I watched the phoenix point trailer and completely forgot about the game. Few months later... or years and I can see this gem in the xbox beta pc store. I thought about it for like 0.1 second and installed it. Some annoying things from the XCOM series were removed. It was always funny to have rifle in the face of the enemy (standing next to him) and having 85% chance of hitting him. This time they fixed it with double aiming reticle. There is 100% chance that it will hit the circle and 50% to hit the inner circle. Well... this is the beginning of the issue. Not sure what has happened but my guys kept missing that 100%. It wasn't often that this happened, but 100% is broken. There were no obstacles on the way so I guess the hit zones are somewhat broken here and there. Then there was the biggest deal breaker for me. The difficulty. I enjoy the learning curve on bits of the game but at some point most of the enemies got an upgrade in armor. The most powerful weapons were not so powerful anymore. One of the enemies had to be shot by my guys x6 4 turns in a row. Problem is there were other guys coming in. Also the enemy was spawning more enemies. So pretty quickly, from challenging the game turned into ridiculous. I heard that they AI adjusts the game so it matches your play style, but it is my play style that I enjoy in the game. Most powerful sniper rifle with armour piercing felt more like a pistol. At this point I thought that maybe I'll get a better armor like in the xcom series. That would be a redeeming feature. ...well turns that that 'super' armor was already reverse-engineered by my scientists at the beginning of the game, and it didn't feel like an upgrade. It added 3x the armor but removed the aiming, perception and movement bonuses to what I already had. This meant that all my snipers needed to be dropped for new heavy troops. There is more explanation that is needed but cutting to the chase I googled all weapons and armors and turns out, there is nothing more. I immediately stopped playing this, as it felt more like a punishment for surviving so many days.

CONS: game sucks, still filled with bugs

PROS: got it via xbox pass so it was for free... a free disappointment.
  22. Jan 18, 2020
    There is no way to describe how annoying filled with bugs and broken the game is.

If you’re gonna do a literal copy and paste of another game, you should make sure you are better then the other one.

Don’t spend more then 20$ on this, it’s probably what it’s worth
  23. Jan 29, 2020
    Has real potential, but it is clearly unfinished, even text is missing, it says so.

It's unbalanced, the game is an uphill struggle and it never gets better and I ended up cheating just to finish it, even with that I found myself depending on them way too much, not because I had them available, it seemed necessary to have them on. Mind you, I have completed several of these turn based tactics games and never turned to cheating in them, as they progressed naturally; Enemies gets harder, but you get so much better, not just by your own experience, but because you have better equipment and stronger people. That's not how it works here, you get stronger, but the enemy gets much sronger and starts attacking factions and your bases frequently, because you need to buy people from the other factions, you'll never have the manpower to protect yourself and help those factions fend off attacks, even defending yourself will be too big of a task, as you might have enough people, but you won't be able to afford the equipment to give them a fighting chance or vice versa.

Ressources needs to be found, stolen or traded for. You can only produce food, so you can use that for trade, but you can only find or raid tech ressource, which is needed for everything of worth. This breaks the economy system as you have way too much to do, with defending, raiding/finding, attacking and following the quests.

It seems like they tried hard to make XCOM with a few twists, but they never really bothered trying out how those twists or adding all they needed from XCOM. They could have added stuff to take the pressure off from the frequent tasks, like protecting your bases, where they could have made made the ships fast enough to get there in time when they're close, added defenses, maybe guards that stays put, added ressource production for the other 2 ressources, they could just produce very little with the possibilty of upgrades, so you don't need to raid or search for it all the time.
  24. Feb 6, 2020
    A good beginning and a terrible mid game.
    Enemies are bullet sponges, or can ruin your day too suddenly in no time (two bombarding artillery aliens one shooting your soldiers from across the map)
    Equipment doesn’t scale well to be competitive I found many missions to be boring and a slugfest, chipping away enemy hp slowly. Some map designs are horrible. (Alien hives, with endless
    A good beginning and a terrible mid game.
    Some map designs are horrible. (Alien hives, with endless reinforcements)
    When it takes over 30-50 mins for a single resource run map due to slow AI turns, I decided to uninstall.
    Had high hopes. Waiting for the patches.
  25. Feb 7, 2020
    I want to like this game, but it still has numerous bugs like enemies getting stuck inside objects. It just feels unfinished.
  26. Feb 17, 2020
    this game is very buggy and unbalanced. content feels a bit repetitive and boring.
  27. Mar 7, 2020
    Are you an X-Com aficionado? Have you amassed massive hours into the genre? If you did, then avoid this game—buggy, boring, unbalanced, and unplayable.
  28. Apr 15, 2020
    Going back to X-com 2, Phoenix Point is too awful to play. Buggy missions, missing dialog (I hope it is missing and not a case of "Who reads it anyway. Skip it") Backed it early, very disappointing.
  29. May 3, 2020
    There's still so many issues with this game and the devs are now shipping DLCs for cash.
    I've played so many Gollop games over the years and it seems sadly you can't teach this old dog any new tricks. I would not recommend the game to anyone other than hardcore Xcom2 fans.
  30. May 10, 2020
    Released in a buggy and unbalanced state; after two patches some bugs have been fixed, but balance issues remain.

Initial missions start off quite well, but before too long both your own soldiers and the enemies that you'll face become terribly overpowered - This leads to a situation where the game ends up being more about trying to alpha strike the enemy with your superhuman squad before they can do the same to you. Top tier soldiers, moving at top speed, are able to reach any point on the map in a single turn and whilst doing so still have the possibility to shoot multiple enemies and regain actions along the way, thus making the whole 'turn based' aspect of turn based strategy redundant. None of this is helped by the fact that the maps themselves are tiny, meaning that you and your opponent will nearly always be right on top of each other from the start of every mission and rarely experience any change of pace.

Basic features such as change of stance and different firing modes for weapons aren’t present, instead the game relies on its USP of a free-aiming system - This was an interesting idea in theory, but I found that trying to estimate what area of a targeting reticule was filled became stale fast and would have preferred at least the option to be able to switch to seeing the percentage chance to hit whatever I was aiming at instead. The free aim system also creates problems of its own when combined with an automatic cover system - head shots for example aren't fatal (as they would be too easy to make), but you will be able to experience death by being shot in the toe.

If you liked the modern Firaxis XCom games then you might enjoy this, but if you were a fan of the original XComs/UFO titles then don’t expect Phoenix Point to be in the same vein.
  31. Feb 20, 2020
    It is hard to say for me but I am bit disappointed with game. I loved to tune airplains and base in X-Com Apocalypse. I loved X-Com 1 and 2 tactics missions, but nothing from it is here. Base is just picture - not very clear what room is it. And airplains cannot be modified. Research is not very interesting since not very usefull equipment is there (at least in the beggining) and mainly anIt is hard to say for me but I am bit disappointed with game. I loved to tune airplains and base in X-Com Apocalypse. I loved X-Com 1 and 2 tactics missions, but nothing from it is here. Base is just picture - not very clear what room is it. And airplains cannot be modified. Research is not very interesting since not very usefull equipment is there (at least in the beggining) and mainly an absurdly high level of difficulty. First missions were fine, but suddenly it increased difficulty madly. No joy to play on such level. Hopefully They will work on it yet but I am afraid that it will not be the game I was expecting. Expand
  32. Feb 25, 2020
    I want to love this type of game but I just can't. The gameplay is not balanced to be fun with these damn mindcontrolling units etc. Also the GUI is horrendous, the game looks nice and all but the GUI menus etc. looks like they were made in paint.
  33. Feb 26, 2020
    I could write for hours about this game but for God’s sake I’d just point out the main issues that pushed me to give the score of 5.
    Fist of all, the game is boooooooring. The missions are always the same. There are 7 types of enemy. They said that Pandora could mutate; the true is that the kind of enemy, mutated or not, is always the same (crabman is always a crabman, with shield or machine gun). So the missions are always the same.
    Second: the game play is not balanced. Some classes are a waste of time, other are overpowered. The skills are always the same with very little options. So every assault or priest or heavy soldier, at the end, is always the same.
    Third: base attack is awful, terrible, boring. At the end of the game you would defend your base a lot of times (10, 15, 20 times) with attacks every 30-40 minutes of gameplay and the mission are always the same and the same and the same. The only things that change is the starting position of the soldier. So booring (did I say it?). And by the way: what is the sense of having the pandoran attack preannounced 16 hours before if you can’t choose the starting position of your man? So you find all your soldier scattered in the base and you lose 3-4 turns just to regroup. It’s not realism is wasting my time!
    Fourth: what is the sense of making me recharge every magazine of very weapon of the squad?? Can’t it be automatic? Again we’re to talking about hardcore game, etc… but about boredom.
    Fifth: research? What? After 5-6 hours of gameplay you’ll have all the weapons researched. No improvement, no surprise. So in the end: same enemies for the same soldiers with the same weapons, armors, gears, from the start to the end.
    The true good ideas are: the aim system (XCOM should take note), the movement system (versatile) and the lovercraftian background.
    We are far far far away from fireaxis (maybe just because XCOM are fun…).
    Try it if you have times (a lot) to waste.
  34. Apr 3, 2020
    As a platinum backer I been disappointed several times throughout its development but let's keep it short and stick to the game at hand: It still needs a lot of work until it's in actual release-ready state. Mechanics feel clunky, animations feel drawn out, the storytelling is a bit lacking in regards of depth and and in general after a short time you've had already your fill of theAs a platinum backer I been disappointed several times throughout its development but let's keep it short and stick to the game at hand: It still needs a lot of work until it's in actual release-ready state. Mechanics feel clunky, animations feel drawn out, the storytelling is a bit lacking in regards of depth and and in general after a short time you've had already your fill of the game. After all the trouble I really thought the team could pull at least something on XCOM 2 level but this feels like are just only aspiring to be as good as Firaxis latest sequel in this series which started off as Gollop's brainchild after all. Expand
  35. Apr 14, 2020
    Overall, I like the game and see it has potential. Sadly, its wasted potential. Notice I said I like the game, not that I enjoy the game. The game itself has a fantastic framework and some intuitive ideas. But sadly it's patched together in a way to frustrate the player, rather than challenge the player. I would say most of the issues stem from odd balance decisions exacerbated by in-gameOverall, I like the game and see it has potential. Sadly, its wasted potential. Notice I said I like the game, not that I enjoy the game. The game itself has a fantastic framework and some intuitive ideas. But sadly it's patched together in a way to frustrate the player, rather than challenge the player. I would say most of the issues stem from odd balance decisions exacerbated by in-game bugs.
    The Overwatch mechanic, for instance, is almost pointless to use. Not only do you have to risk the fact that your soldier might naturally miss. But also have to roll the die on if the ability will activate at the correct time. There have been so many instances where the enemy would run through the engagement zone I set without triggering the ability. Then when they cross an object that is obstructing the line of sight of my soldier is when my soldier would decide to start shooting.
    On a similar note, your troops shooting at their cover is also an issue. It's just a glaring and obvious bug that you think would be the first thing the developers would fix. When you see it happen, you're dumbfounded. It's the sort of thing you would see from an Early Access game, not the final product.
    Other issues are that your grenades sometimes do no damage for no reason, troops missing shots on Pandorans when the area of fire within the body of the Pandoran.
    For the balance side:
    Sirens mind control - this has been the bane of my existence, mainly because of how one-sided this mechanic is. First of all, it requires no line of sight from the enemy doing it. If you're within range, you get mind-controlled. Your "Will" stat contrary to what you might assume, doesn't actually help. This ability also comes at the cost of the victim. Even if you manage to kill the Siren, it uses up the turn of the victim. What makes this worse is past the early game, there is usually more than one of them. In similar tittles, units that could mind control are balanced by being physically weak. Not the Siren, she has high armor, as well as blades for arms that also make her deadly in close combat.
    Chiron's ICBM's - It's an organic lifeform the size of a tank and armored like one too. That, for some reason, behaves like it has some sort of laser-guided missile system. It can accurately shoot you from across the map without even seeing you. Is this fair? No. Is it fun to deal with? No.
    The Spawn System - Enemies can attack the same turn they spawn in. I don't even know how to describe how unfair this is. There is no amount of skill in the world that can help you against an enemy that essentially cheats. You are at the mercy of the game and simply have to hope luck is on your side.
  36. Apr 17, 2020
    Game literally doesn't work. After three months after release there are still long loading. Even after that I couldn’t play. There is nightmare lag. It’s early access but not finished game.
  37. Jan 5, 2021
    This is definitely not X-COM. The X-COM games right through X-COM 1 (X-COM 2 was not a true X-COM, more like a multi-player arena fight game) had much more diversity and were feasible in more than one way and always with some strategy. Here the progression pace is extremely slow for the player but lightening fast for his opponents. The enemy constant re-spawning in most missions makes itThis is definitely not X-COM. The X-COM games right through X-COM 1 (X-COM 2 was not a true X-COM, more like a multi-player arena fight game) had much more diversity and were feasible in more than one way and always with some strategy. Here the progression pace is extremely slow for the player but lightening fast for his opponents. The enemy constant re-spawning in most missions makes it totally unfair. The AI always knows what you are planning (Like if your soldiers are on over-watch facing a direction, the enemy will not move or simply move into an other direction even if it makes no sense to do so). With limitless re-spawning on the AI side its easy to make winning impossible or with great loss to the player. Resources are scarce and everything is overly expensive. Stuff recuperated after a mission makes no sense. Like you were fighting aliens and you get humans' ammo or from a faction that did not at all appear in that mission. Honestly, it seems fun in the beginning but it will all be gone within a few hours. Its more than disappointment, its total crap! Expand
  38. Apr 18, 2020
    Game is just a disaster, tons of bugs, crappy combat system, mediocre research tree. Going from the new X-Com games to this is an enormous step down, I would really be surprised if any of the original X-com fans even enjoyed it. I torrented this game for free and still feel l like I overpaid.
  39. Dec 31, 2019
    The most frustrating game you will ever play...

The most frustrating game you will ever play...

Firstly a little about me. I am 39 and been gaming since I was 15. I've never written a review as quite frankly I can never be bothered. I have played many games where they were so poor I vowed to write review afterwards and let everyone and the devs know about how mad and disappointed I was with the game. But then I calm down and think my energy can be better spent elsewhere. This game though, is so bad that I just felt compelled to tell you all. The point I am making here is that this is by far the worst and most frustrating game I have ever played. I won't even mention the pros cause there are none.

The main issues are bugs and glitches. I am actually going to try to remember all ones I have encountered so far:

- The game has a zoom feature so you can target body parts. Every single time I shot with one of my soldiers, (even if I was right next to the enemy) I would use the zoom feature to target their head to play it safe. This happened about 20 times without issue. To use the zoom feature it takes the tiniest amount of extra time so one time I just decided not to use it. I was so close that it was impossible to miss…but I did. What is important to note here is that it wasn’t RNG. Phoenix Point doesn’t use RNG, instead you have a reticule like an FPS and if that circle is wider than your target then some of your shots may miss. In my case, the reticule was basically the size of the enemies nose so it was impossible to miss, but it did. This was the first bug and resulted in the death of the soldier.
    - About half way through the campaign it just decided to no longer autosave. Due to the insane amount of bugs your soldiers will die a lot and you are forced to save scum. The game always autosaves before you deploy for a mission so when everything went wrong I decided to quit and reload the most recent autosave...but it was 10 real-time hours ago...I almost rage quit there and then. Eventually I started up a new campaign and autosave started working again…bug no 2
    - LIke xcom you can throw grenades. When targeting, the game shows you the trajectory of the grenade and it highlights who will get hit and how much damage will be done etc. But in one occasion my idiot soldier through it straight at the wall in front of him and blew himself up. Bug 3
    - One soldier class can deploy turrets. The turret auto targets enemies; you have no control of it. Can you believe that the first time I deployed the turret it targeted the enemy behind me. Since I was in the way it emptied every single bullet into me instead and killed my soldier. I mean really?? How stupid are the game designers?
    - Some of the ingame guns/items don't even have descriptions. One item was a turret and the image for it was an assault rifle and the flavour text said "needs text". That is just outright lazy. That is the standard we are dealing with
    - There are many many many more.

Then there's the balancing or game mechanics which were obviously never tested. Some of the worst are:

- There is a perk called "return fire" but it doens't work how you might expect like xcom. If an enemy shoots at you (even if you've used all your action points) your soldier will shoot back. But there is more! ANYONE who has line of sight to the enemy and has this perk will also shoot. Some enemies have this same perk, it sounds like an interesting wrinkle but it poorly implemented. Here is what happens; there are 5 enemies and you shoot one of them. All 5 of them shoot you back and kill your soldier. So another dumb design! You could use this to your advantage and to be honest you will so that you can cheese your way through missions. So let's get that right, in the end you just bunch up all your soldiers together and don't even SHOOT the enemy, instead you just wait for them to shoot you and all your soldiers return fire as this is the most effective.
    - at a certain point in the game when the difficulty is meant to increase, one type of enemy suddenly can one shot your soldiers…with an assault rifle. So it is the power of sniper rifle with all the flexibility of an AR. Once this happens your soldier start dropping fast and there is no counter to it because guess what? You can’t even one shot them, with your shotty at close range.
    It is just a terrible terrible game and is without a doubt the bugiest alpha game I have ever played.

Was going to write more but there is a 5000 char limit. It is a steaming pile of you know what!
  40. Dec 19, 2019
    Such an exciting idea, with great design elements throughout, but it just wasn't ready for prime time. XCOM (the original, not the newer ones available on console) might honestly be my favorite game ever and all I want is more of that original design, with updated art and quality of life. Sadly PP (heh) doesn't deliver.

As far as pros go: It looks great. Each faction is extremely

As far as pros go:
    It looks great. Each faction is extremely distinguished, and at a glance you can see exactly what that enemy is and likely figure out what he does.
    The aiming is miles above and beyond the newest X-COM games, because each round that comes out of the gun has its own ballistics (even a missed burst is likely to land at least one round) and because you can individually target enemy limbs. Can't kill or disable that strong enemy in one turn? Bang away at his rifle and hope you break it. Great touch.
    The sound is truly outstanding; it's got that quiet, sinister synth drone from Terror From the Deep that I didn't realize I missed until I heard it again.

The cons:
    The game balance is completely nonexistent. Some classes are complete, utter garbage and are not worth taking along with you in any way. Some are so overpowered that you might as well put four or five on your squad. Same goes with weaponry.
    Some mission types are broken. Stealing tech, for example, necessitates getting to a terminal and downloading research data. However, half the time this doesn't work, and you need to destroy any windows, tables or chairs around the terminal in order to interact with it. Sloppy.
    The factions are all pretty boring. While each of them has a very clear focus and they all disagree on everything, frankly i hate them all. Maybe that's the point, to see what Earth has degenerated to, but still, it kinda bugged me that I'm saving the planet, but it is populated entirely either by bloodthirsty monsters or complete douchebags. Why am I bothering?
    The Nest/Lair missions are complete BS. When the Pandorans place a Lair, there's a red region on the map that begins to expand to show their territorial conquests, and naturally any friendly havens within that ring come under attack and all of them need your help to fend them off. You can choose to attack these Lairs to destroy that ring and cleanse that part of the planet. These missions are predictably hard, but are unfair in their hardness: endlessly spawning enemies, and an objective at the far, far, far end of the map. Prepare to use five magazines of ammo per soldier, and lose at least one to mind control, before you even see the objective you need to destroy.

I don't think anyone wanted to love this more than I did. God, I love XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and God I wanted another one. Instead we got a pale imitation of the weaker, newer X-COMs and I didn't want that.
  41. Dec 25, 2019
    I had high hopes for this game. I was left very disappointed. The whole thing seems very rushed and with a lack of polish that I with my somewhat limited amount of available game time cannot tolerate. This game should not be priced as a AAA title.

Anyone looking for something to fill the gap until XCOM3 should look elsewhere. This just doesn't compare.
  42. Dec 21, 2019
    Being a huge fan of the original XCOM game I had high expectations for this Phoenix Point. I hoped for an added layer of complexity compared to the Firaxis XCOM games. But unfortunately it just feels a bit messy and become boring quite fast, many of the added features seem pointless and don't really add anything to the gameplay.
  43. Jan 9, 2020
    I was a huge fan of the X-com games and I want so bad to say this game is good... but unfortunately it is just so terribly balanced that I can't play it anymore. Enemies are ridiculously overpowered, but then certain combinations (stealth infiltrators, rage burst snipers, etc) are even more ridiculously overpowered. Absolutely nothing is explained in the game, everything is confusing andI was a huge fan of the X-com games and I want so bad to say this game is good... but unfortunately it is just so terribly balanced that I can't play it anymore. Enemies are ridiculously overpowered, but then certain combinations (stealth infiltrators, rage burst snipers, etc) are even more ridiculously overpowered. Absolutely nothing is explained in the game, everything is confusing and undocumented without going to the forums to ask for help. And then of course all the bugs that occasionally crash the game - I could live with those, but do have to point that out.

This game is clearly NOT ready to be released yet, but the creators needed the cash grab so they threw away their reputation releasing a crap game, probably hoping that they can fix the issues as they release more paid DLC content. No thanks, I uninstalled and I'm done with this garbage game.
  44. Mar 2, 2020
    Well, this game became exactly what I was expecting, so happy I did not buy it.

There are THREE big big big issues with the game: 1: Its a FiraX-Com copy paste straight away. I bet they have even got the scripts from Fira to copy it and compile it in unity, a quick cash-grab with minimal work and hey have probably shared the profits. It has the same flaws, same bugs and same stupidly
    Well, this game became exactly what I was expecting, so happy I did not buy it.

There are THREE big big big issues with the game:

1: Its a FiraX-Com copy paste straight away. I bet they have even got the scripts from Fira to copy it and compile it in unity, a quick cash-grab with minimal work and hey have probably shared the profits. It has the same flaws, same bugs and same stupidly illogical decisions

2: Its totally half-arsed. Even the good parts are not fleshed out, they well seen simply did not care to work on it, even basic mechanisms have such mind-boggling stupidity built in that made me bang my head against the wall. Some examples:
    -infinite reaction shots. If a unit that has reaction shot skill added, it can do it with every attacker. Seriously, a single crabmen can devastate an entire army as it deals more damage with reaction shots than a shotgun user soldier from 2 meters
    -the reaction shot itself: it has the same accuracy than normal attacks. a reaction shot is not accidentally called "reaction", somebody attacks you who you might never even seen before, you shouldn't be able to shoot back fully aimed
    -all units have reaction shots on the attacker not only the one been attacked. stupid
    -the reaction shot and friendly fire: yeah, the worst of all... if one of your soldier is in line of sight to the attacker, your unit will happily shoot the back of his mate. PP has the dumbest ever soldiers

3: built in cheats... yeah, its so annoying and so visible, but this too comes from Fira, if you are too good, simply everything start missing. 400 damaging shotguns start doing 10 damages, snipers miss shots where there was only a hair-thin area not covered in the aim circle etc. And if it happens ones or twice, yeah, bad luck, but 5-6 times with both my snipers in the same one mission... that's not random. The game keeps cheating both for you and for the aliens depending on how well things go...

+1: bugs. Insane bugs. not odd crashes of wrecked savegames, I could live with those. No, bugs that are affecting gameplay. enemies walking through walls, grenades missing targets that are within the explosion ball, soldiers running where you click with right click, even though I was just cancelling a dash or an aiming... Ehhh

++1: Many was hoping this will be more of a classic XCom but its not. Its not even close. There are no big dropships, no 16 soldiers on missions, no air-to-air fights, no alien crafts, NOTHING. This game is even LESS than FiraX-Com. Which is very sad.

+++1: The maps are the utter joke. They are always the same and they are tiny. so tiny, my better soldiers can run through any of them in just 1.5 rounds, well, with dash, in a single round from corner to corner. Its insane. The only exceptions are the alien lairs and citadels, those are bigger but any average map you will encounter during the game are just that. a building in the centre and some crap around it. done...
  45. Dec 15, 2019
    The game could be great, and is within the first few hours of play, but it all goes downhill after that. Balance is horrible in the game. It takes almost no time whatsoever for you to be nailed with OP enemies which would be mini-bosses in most other games. The sirens especially are game breaking. They have a mind control power which is always 100% successful, and that they can use atThe game could be great, and is within the first few hours of play, but it all goes downhill after that. Balance is horrible in the game. It takes almost no time whatsoever for you to be nailed with OP enemies which would be mini-bosses in most other games. The sirens especially are game breaking. They have a mind control power which is always 100% successful, and that they can use at a pretty long range. The worst thing about them is that they're complete bullet sponges so it's not like you can just pick them off first. (oh yeah, and they like to send them in groups) Expand
  46. Mar 5, 2020
    После больше 6 часов игры, я понял лишь одно, это позорише, которые оголтелые фанаты настолько защищали, оказался редкостным дерьмом, впрочем олдфаготам нравится разные вещи в их горле, так что неудивительно что они защищают это убожество, забагованная, недоработанная, украдено всё что можно из новой Xcom 2 (да я знаю что феникс поинт разрабатывал автор оригинальной игры), но серия емуПосле больше 6 часов игры, я понял лишь одно, это позорише, которые оголтелые фанаты настолько защищали, оказался редкостным дерьмом, впрочем олдфаготам нравится разные вещи в их горле, так что неудивительно что они защищают это убожество, забагованная, недоработанная, украдено всё что можно из новой Xcom 2 (да я знаю что феникс поинт разрабатывал автор оригинальной игры), но серия ему больше не принадлежит, как и некоторые вещи которые он просто скопировал из новых частей, при этом сделав их хуже, не покупайте это, НИ-ЗА-ЧТО! Expand
  47. Dec 6, 2019
    Well, nice try, but this game is inferior in comparison to XCOM2 in every aspect. Poor level design, unimaginative character development options, horrible menu icons and fonts, story narrative is almost absent. Other people complain about bugs and crashes, however I did not encounter any major bugs.
    I uninstalled the game after 1,5 hours. Pity.
  48. Dec 7, 2019
    I really REALLY wanted to love this.

As of writing this review, it's nothing more than a slightly polished beta. PROS: Very interesting story premise. Cool enemy visual designs. Interesting warring factions premise. Interesting take on x-com aiming system. Interesting take on global map mechanics. CONS: Direly lacks polish. Horribly un-intuitive user interface, making it an
    I really REALLY wanted to love this.

As of writing this review, it's nothing more than a slightly polished beta.

CONS: Direly lacks polish. Horribly un-intuitive user interface, making it an absolute chore to learn the game. The game tends to hide important information. Game balance is a total mess. Clearly not play-tested enough.

Some examples of how messy PP is right now:

1) Mini-bosses called Sirens attack you in handfuls - MINI-BOSSES. HANDFULS. Inexplicably, the devs intentionally actually created the Siren and intended them to be all-powerful with no weaknesses or counters. The only way to survive an encounter with a handful of Sirens is to hope that they don't all attack at once, which is totally outside your control. One or two, you can defeat. But 3 or 4 at a time? You're dead. Dealing with Sirens is RNG. Will your snipers miss hitting breaking the head or tail? How close will they spawn? How small is the map? Which of your allies gets mind-controlled first? Note that Sirens can mind-control AT RANGE, MULTIPLE TIMES, AND IT HAS NO COUNTER. You will encounter squads of Sirens very early in the game, meaning you'll have to save-scum to scrape by. A SINGLE mind-controlled ally often results in a total squad wipe. It's telling that the devs did NOT ship this game with ironman mode.

2) Random, run-ending base attacks with ONLY 12 HOURS WARNING. Before the 12hrs, it's RNG. You won't know until it's too late because your plane is halfway across the world. Also, of course, a handful of Sirens will join the assault so you need all hands on deck or it's game over.

3) Allies WON'T DUCK when ally behind wants to shoot, resulting in friendly fire. Seriously?

4) The game does not show you the percentage to hit. Seriously? In an X-Com-type game? Who thought this was a good idea? The realistic bullet-tracking is cool, but the game needs more consistency. I NEED TO KNOW THE CHANCES OF A HIT. This is especially notable on one-shot soldiers like snipers or heavies. The lack of percentage calculation is very, very infuriating, considering this is a core concept in these types of games. I understand that they wanted to eliminate the comical 99%-to-hit-but-miss-at-point-blank scenario...but at what cost? PP is much worse off for it.

5) The maps are smaller and the enemies attack you all at once the moment they know where you are. This make combat faster and tighter, which is good, but somehow it's not quite as good as x-com. I'm not a game dev so I'm having a hard time elaborating. One, the combat skills your soldiers get feel very...generic. They don't really feel like they add flavor to the soldier's specialty. Add to that the cross-class system and it makes each soldier feel less special. X-com's leveling system is more fun and more intuitive. It gives you limited but meaningful choices. PP just throws a bunch of generic buffs at you to choose from. Two, somehow the enemies feel very generic, too. Sorry, can't elaborate well. X-com did enemies better, too. For whatever reason, fights play out very same-y in PP. In x-com, they were more dynamic.

After an additional year of polish and patching the core mechanics, this could be a GREAT game. But as it stands, this is nothing more than a prototype. If you buy it now you're just a beta-tester. It sucks bad because there's a great game hidden under the thick muck.
  49. Dec 11, 2019
    TL;DR It's unbalanced, completely unfit for Ironman mode (which isn't even in the game yet) and feels like a Beta.

The good bits: There's 6 classes that all have their uses, which can also dual-class. There's plenty of room for experimentation. Enemy variety is quite good. Lovecraftian feel works well. Atmospheric music. Interesting aiming system which allows for

The good bits:

Enemy variety is quite good.

Lovecraftian feel works well.

Atmospheric music.

Interesting aiming system which allows for greater tactical variety.

Wide variety of equipment (though something that is definitely a downside is how you unlock it)

Downsides:

Very slow start. You can expect the initial 10-15 hours to be comfortable, even on the penultimate difficulty setting, bar a few specific situations here and there. This means that starting a new campaign is tedious and repetitive.

Missions are, generally, repetitive and many don't feel like they're important. For exmaple, you have to defend other people's bases a lot, and there's not much variety in those missions. You feel like you're running around putting out fires and not getting on with your own objectives.

Ridiculous yo-yoing of difficulty with some, quite frankly, silly situations that can occur due to enemy composition and/or spawn areas. There will be instances you lose soldiers, or maybe the entire squad, to these kinds of things. That means one of two things; 1: Restart the campaign with all the tedium that brings, as mentioned above. 2: Savescum your way through, which for many will be completely ungratifying.

Bugs. For example, your team might spawn behind scenery they cannot move out from. Game can get stuck on enemy turns.

Unbalanced mechanics that make things very unpredictable and either very hard or, sometimes, very easy. On their own turn, for example, you or the enemy can only fire once or twice. However, a mechanic called return fire can mean that guns can be fired up to any number of times when it's NOT the shooters turn. Example;

You have a squad of 6 soldiers. An enemy stupidly runs into the middle of you and takes no cover. The logical thing to do is blast him, right? Well, not if he's wearing armour. If you shoot him, you'll just chip a bit of health off, but he'll blast you for a quarter of your health. If you were to shoot him twice with all your team, 3-4 of them would be on half health by the time you take him down. Instead of shooting him, you go overwatch and wait for him to run to cover. Everyone shoots him and hopefully, on your next turn, you can finish him off.

Sniper rifles and armour shred weapons are king since enemies rely on heavy armour to provide a challenge later on. It leads to a shallow experience with little variety, despite there being so many classes, items and weapons.

The geoscape (world map) is very limited and base management is very shallow. You'll have 6+ bases but you won't really care as you'll just use them to heal troops. They do little else and defending them is sometimes such a pain you'll simply get fed up and just maintain 2-3 on opposite sides of the world so you have global coverage.

Attacking the big enemy camps is either long and tedious or short and cheesy. You see, if you play like a normal game, the enemy has infinite reinforcements. So instead you just cheaply send in a 'ninja' to stealth-bow the alien hatchery until it's destroyed. Or riskily jump-pack a heavy trooper with a sniper rifle over to it. Not satisfying.

When you take all this into account, Ironman mode is a non-starter. I think that's why they haven't implemented it yet. They know the game's structure doesn't fit such a mode.
  50. Dec 7, 2019
    review after finishing the game

Pros -while the fact that enemies adopt to your style is nice and interesting because finally the battlescape dosent feel boring this is the only good part of the game. AFter a while it bottlenecks to use shred ammo else die -lovecraftian horror vibes and theme -julian gollop Cons -Base management is nonexistent -diplomacy aspect is flawed and
    review after finishing the game

Pros

-lovecraftian horror vibes and theme
    -julian gollop

Cons

-Base management is nonexistent
    -diplomacy aspect is flawed and dosent add anything at all,besides the grey area most games adopt is pure pure fail(hey aliums attack but we fight among us because insert needed drama-ideology here)
    -research is not worth it(you can get best weapons-and only weapons oO- early on)
    -You have no idea what base your craft is or which base your personell are,good luck with trying to defend havens,which arent needed but is good to have them
    -You dont have to research best weapons,there are none
    -No need to get better aircraft,all are the same stats wise
    -shot that arm?nice if it did 10 damage you re good,sometimes it does 0 damage,just like grenades do
    -alien bases are not interesting and you can get stuck,there are parts that if you fall you cant get out,and enemies cant kill you,so restart if that soldier is your last one.
    -want to steal tech from a faction?nice. Keep in mind some of these missions cannot be finished.
    -Want interesting soldier classes? We dont do that here son

This game left a bitter taste,but hey if people are enjoying it more power to them. I refunded my game because yeah.This is not an xcom,this is something resembling xcom and dosent do it well either.On its own the bugs here and there and the slog that most battles have make it a tedious game to enjoy
  51. Dec 13, 2019
    Good but inferior from XCOM games in many aspects. Quality is surely worse from XCOM games with worse menus much worse base management and characters are poorly designed and lack emotion. Feels like an old Flash game sometimes with some minimalistic static screens. There is no aerial combat and the gameplay is more complicated that it needs to be, The plot feels lacking and it's not thatGood but inferior from XCOM games in many aspects. Quality is surely worse from XCOM games with worse menus much worse base management and characters are poorly designed and lack emotion. Feels like an old Flash game sometimes with some minimalistic static screens. There is no aerial combat and the gameplay is more complicated that it needs to be, The plot feels lacking and it's not that interesting when you fight the same mutant alien crabs. Overall it's not as good as the XCOM series sorry Expand
  52. Dec 8, 2019
    Наиграл уже больше 15 часов. И если честно, продолжать играть не тянет. В игре много проблем. Если вам нужна атмосфера, то играйте в XCOM: Enemy Unkown. Тут её нет. Вы просто летаете на самолёте по точкам, разведуете карту. Иногда сражаетесь с монстрами. Причем миссии скучные просто пипец. "Защитите ресуры" и "вы попали в засаду". За 15 часов было 3 нормальных миссии: атака на улей,Наиграл уже больше 15 часов. И если честно, продолжать играть не тянет. В игре много проблем. Если вам нужна атмосфера, то играйте в XCOM: Enemy Unkown. Тут её нет. Вы просто летаете на самолёте по точкам, разведуете карту. Иногда сражаетесь с монстрами. Причем миссии скучные просто пипец. "Защитите ресуры" и "вы попали в засаду". За 15 часов было 3 нормальных миссии: атака на улей, момент когда на мою базу напали, и когда я впервые встретил монстра артиллерию. Всё. 15 часов. Тупой скукаты и летания между точками на карте. Сюжет движется ооочень медленно. Причем больше всего меня раздражает, что когда появляется новый монстр, никакого внимание, как в том же XCOM: EU ему не уделяется. Вы просто его убиваете и все. Дальше максимум прочитаете чуток текста про него в лаборатории. Всё. Никакого удивления, никакого внимания на монстра, ни какой близкой камеры, чтобы его полностью посмотреть нет. В том же ХСОМ: EU при первой встречи с новым противником, доктор Вален что-то рассказывала о нём, как и при вскрытии, как и при допросе. Было не только интересно узнавать нлошников, но и пытаться их поймать. Тут же вы всё делаете с покер фейсом. Причем храмает и сама механика. Противник "оглушен" ок да. Ты подходишь и пытаешься его парализовать, а он в ответ по тебе стреляет в притык. НО ВЕДЬ ОН ЖЕ ОГЛУШЕН!!!! Бред. Плюс эти всякие маленькие иконки в инвинтаре, когда ты снаряжение вешаешь на своего бойца. Они все почти одинаковые, как патроны, так и оружие. Отличаются только цветом. Характеристики оружия читать не удобно, что-то сравнивать тоже. Про фракции в игре я вообще молчу, ибо они клешированы (копия фракций из Fallout 4), и тебе просто становится на них плевать. Я игру то пройду, но через силу. В общем в игре много проблем во всём. Пока играть не рекомендую, максимум попробовать в неё сыграть, когда выйдут все длц. Expand
  53. Dec 3, 2019
    OK game. Tactics are more like the old X com titles which I was looking forward too.
    The visual design though is a bit different. You know someone else was drawing and creating the stuff here.
    Has some bugs and a lot of stuff is unexplained. You dont even know that you can build stuff in your base when you dont explore every button in this game. Feels like a very low budget game whit
    Feels like a very low budget game whit really nothing innovative in it. I couldnt tell if some random was making this game or a well known game designer in the industry.
  54. Dec 5, 2019
    Pros: The taclical aiming feature is what separates the from games like xcom. It makes the tactics side of things far mor enjoyable and adds more variety in gameplay. Adding to that the fact that the enemy load out can be quite varied is a nice touch, so while you may see the same enemy
    Over and over the way they affect combat is different. Cons:The game is incredibly buggy, It has hard crashed my PC multiple times in the couple of hours I've played. My PC is pretty decent too as I just had a new one built this January.
    Story wise the game is really dull. It's a shame because the lore surrounding the game pre launch was fascinating but the game seems to be completely void of anything remotely interesting. Overall despite it being from one of the original creators of xcom, this game can't hold a candle to it. I'm lucky I was able to get this for £15 on a epic store sale so I didn't get too badly burned, wait for it to drop to a tenner if you're desperate to try it out.
  55. Dec 28, 2019
    I'm a huge Xcom fan. I've been a Backer since 1-2 years, been looking forward to Phoenix Point since then. After 20 minutes of the Backer Build, I decided to give the full version another shot, for a couple of hours. It didn't take.

The game sure do have some great mechanics: free aim, ballistics, movement mechanics, etc. BUT! It's hollow, lack of story. No background, nothing

BUT!

It's hollow, lack of story. No background, nothing (besides the intro).

You play a team of unknown soldiers in a world with unknown factions, without any particular introduction. You have no connection to what you're trying to immersive yourself into.

And what is up with the aliens? Colourful blobs where you can't tell the difference between a leg, a torso and a head. They just look weird.

This feels rushed. Very rushed.
  56. Dec 5, 2019
    Phoenix Point is a grand strategy and tactics game that is really innovative for 2007. Or it would be, if it weren't released 12 years too late to be relevant, and seems not to have learned much from titles released in the last decade. It's main gimmick is a "free fire" mechanism that isn't functionally different from the hitbox doll from titles like Battletech, except for being a lotPhoenix Point is a grand strategy and tactics game that is really innovative for 2007. Or it would be, if it weren't released 12 years too late to be relevant, and seems not to have learned much from titles released in the last decade. It's main gimmick is a "free fire" mechanism that isn't functionally different from the hitbox doll from titles like Battletech, except for being a lot clunkier to work. And given you're expected to use it for every shot, that extra time really drags the game down. So many systems are in the game, not because they make the experience more interesting and fun, but because the designer said "I don't care, I want it in there!" Remembering to constantly refill your characters ammo, or ensuring you've gotten them food, is tedious realism that detracts from enjoyment. Which is funny, because if you stripped away these time sinks the game runs all too quickly given its price tag.

Character specilization is present, but again feels a decade old. Choosing new character skills is a chore, given the lack of interesting options. Again, it feels like skills were decided upon based on if they were reasonable, rather than being fun, interesting, and balanced. Vehicles in the game aren't very useful, nor worth the cost, robbing the game of another mechanism.

Overall, I expected to be hooked to this games mechanics but honestly, I find I can't keep myself from putting this game down. It's supposed to be "come on, let me play one more turn" and not "ugh, let's just be done with this mission."

I think I'll start up a new Long War 2 campaign instead.
  57. Dec 4, 2019
    I don't know how to express how sad I am for this game, it's so buggy and glitchy that it's just nearly unplayable. half the cover does nothing and enemies can shoot you through, or walk though walls (and i'm talking 10x worse than xcom 2).

On top of the cover doing nothing there's a body part damage system that either does nothing or makes your character useless - i.e. you can disable the head, which literally does nothing, same with the legs. or you can disable the arms which makes it so 2h weapons cant be used. that sounds like a good mechanic on paper, but in reality its just infuriating, 2.3rds of the enemies have explosives that they can chuck half way across the map over buildings and blow off your arms. there is no way to fix your body parts so if you're shot in the arm your soldier is completely and utterly useless, sure you can bring a pistol, but only snipers are proficient in using a pistol so you will get a -75% accuracy to your shots.

speaking of accuracy, its not the same as in xcom, in this you can a circle like in an FPS and anything in the cross-hair has a chance to be hit, the better your accuracy the smaller the circle. this is a nice system except, as I said before, half of the set pieces on the maps do not count as cover, so you may think that wall is a nice solid cover, but no your soldier instead stands 5 feet away from the wall and is super easy to hit.

as for the enemies you fight, some are rightly balanced where as others (like the siren imo) are stupidly overpowered and ( the siren can literally mindcontrol your whole team, which by the way she can sometimes do through walls because as I said before the enemies don't care about walls, also if you do get your whole team mindcrontrolled it soft-locks your game.) I've put a few hours in to the game so i'm sure there's ways around this via tech or such but currently if you don't kill them fast enough its an instant squad wipe.

recruiting soldiers is a bit expensive and your cant just batch recruit like it xcom, no you must first find a friendly city which happens to have a training center, then wait for them to produce a soldier. on my save the RNG on the training centers were far and few in-between and I had to nearly fly across the map to pick up soldiers.

I've even had some missions where I spawned and half of my crew was stuck at the edge of the map behind a table that they couldn't jump over. I had to restart the mission to even play it

one of the smallest things yet one of my biggest gripes about the game it that after a mission you don't collect any of the loot unless you throughout the mission actively pick up every piece of loot an enemy drops or open and loot every single thing in a chest, it would make sense to not get the loot if it was a mission like an ambush where you need to get your people out immediately and need to leave loot behind, but every single mission you shouldn't need to hunt down every dead person to pickup their load-out
  58. Dec 5, 2019
    В игре разочаровался есть интересные механики но графическая составляющай очень слабая, ИИ врагов тупой, неудобный инетерфейс, слабый лвл дизайн в целом игра выглядит как ранний доступ а не финальный релиз.
  59. Dec 7, 2019
    I'm so dissapointed at your product. I played your game for 2 days and I have already uninstalled it. I just got stuck in a lair having endless waves of the same enemy attacking me not even knowing what the hell was I suppossed to do. Also, I don't understand how resources even work and there's nowhere to learn about it. I'm used to hard games. I played almost every XCOM game and I loveI'm so dissapointed at your product. I played your game for 2 days and I have already uninstalled it. I just got stuck in a lair having endless waves of the same enemy attacking me not even knowing what the hell was I suppossed to do. Also, I don't understand how resources even work and there's nowhere to learn about it. I'm used to hard games. I played almost every XCOM game and I love playing Dark Souls. And these are hard games. But it always feels fair. In Phoenix Point I'm left wandering why I'm I spending hours hitting my head against a wall. I am terribly dissapointed at having backed this project. Expand
  60. Dec 8, 2019
    Awkward, buggy and unfinished. Some good ideas here and likely had the potential to be better but for whatever reason lacks refinement and polished.

The outright lies told to backers and investors only to switch the rug out underneath them and go Epic exclusive also cannot be ignored. If the payout was used to bring this game up to a high standard that would be one thing but none of that seems to have shown. The game still looks very rough and amateurish in some areas so wherever that Epic kickback went, it doesn't seem to be in to the game's production.

I hate to say it but if you are expecting this to be the next XCOM, you will be disappointed.
  61. Dec 21, 2019
    Update: This is my first and last purchase on the Epic Games store. I requested a refund for this game, it's just too glitchy and unbalanced, but they are giving me the run around and claiming that I have not made any purchases with my account. Which is bizarre, because they took my money and I can clearly see the game installed using that account. They are either lying or incompetent.Update: This is my first and last purchase on the Epic Games store. I requested a refund for this game, it's just too glitchy and unbalanced, but they are giving me the run around and claiming that I have not made any purchases with my account. Which is bizarre, because they took my money and I can clearly see the game installed using that account. They are either lying or incompetent.

There's some good stuff in here, but Phoenix Point needs a new polish, a new coat of paint, and more. It looks and feels like a kickstarter game. The textures are good, but the models are far from smooth, the skybox flickers in and out when you're aiming, and the character movements are much jankier than you'll find in XCOM. I want to like this game, but it just feels underwhelming next to XCOM 2 and Wasteland 2, which still look and play great at 4 and 5 years old now. And with Wasteland 3 coming out in May, I suspect Phoenix Point will be an afterthought unless they make some serious improvements to the graphics and UI.
  62. Dec 3, 2019
    Какой позор. Кто эти продажные журналисты-обзорщики, которые ставят такие положительные отзывы? Просто не пишите больше обзоров, не позорьтесь.
    Поиграл пока только обучение, но уже вижу насколько плоха игра. Лет 10 назад она была бы хороша, и выход XCOM Enemy Unknown было бы логическим развитием этого жанра. А вышло наоборот - деградация от лучшего в 2012 и 2016 годах к худшему в 2020.
    Во время прохождения обучения вспомнил невольно первую атмосферную обучающую миссию в Enemy Unknown, насколько она была атмосферной и технически отполированной. Игра погружала в себя с первых шагов. Здесь же никакого сочувствия этим кускам мяса в кривом интерфейсе нет, и обучающая миссия каждый ход заставляет меня отдать их на растерзание, как-будто хочет заставить меня считать их расходным материалом.
    Игру пройду (скорее всего), но не надейтесь на что-то качественное если думаете о покупке. И не сравнивайте её с XCOM, это лишь её дешевая реплика.
  63. Dec 4, 2019
    I must admit that the game is a bit of a slow burner. At the beginning I wasn't very hooked up, but after the first 5–6 hours I just couldn't stop, it is always just one more mission or research. The game get compared to XCOM a lot and for a fair reason. However, to enjoy it truly you should come with a clear mind as you have to unlearn quite a few things as the flow of the game is quiteI must admit that the game is a bit of a slow burner. At the beginning I wasn't very hooked up, but after the first 5–6 hours I just couldn't stop, it is always just one more mission or research. The game get compared to XCOM a lot and for a fair reason. However, to enjoy it truly you should come with a clear mind as you have to unlearn quite a few things as the flow of the game is quite different. Expand
  64. Dec 5, 2019
    Raw, unfinished product which looks like PAID BETA
    Critical game breaking bugs on release
    Dumb but cheating AI
    Unbalanced fights
    Useless cinematics
    Failed localisations
    Repetitive maps
    Animations ... ugh it hurts.

WASTED potential
  65. Dec 9, 2019
    Game is tight. Extremely well thought out. Amazing atmosphere. There's occasional stuttered animation when i jumpjet a heavy, but only rarely and only exists while jetting, could be because i have free camera on. Occasional issue with shooting the cover you hiding behind, easy work around is to look down the sights, before firing, which is a fantastic mechanic (sniping weapon arms andGame is tight. Extremely well thought out. Amazing atmosphere. There's occasional stuttered animation when i jumpjet a heavy, but only rarely and only exists while jetting, could be because i have free camera on. Occasional issue with shooting the cover you hiding behind, easy work around is to look down the sights, before firing, which is a fantastic mechanic (sniping weapon arms and shutting down annoying mutations, i sniped someones mounted rocket pack yesterday and blew them up) The inventory and customization is great. Yes people compare it to xcom, why? Because firaxis bought the UFO xcom franchise upon which they based their games (which i find so frustrating i cant play it). This game is very very good. The learning curve may be steep for some, I'm on my 4th restart and now have the hang of the game and can plan my progression accordingly. The amount of game and story content here is massive, when the dlcs become active, it's going to be even more amazing. I have a deep love for well crafted things, whatever they may be and this game gets it. Cannot understand why there is so much meh towards this game. For a 4x tactical squad based game, there is currently no equal. (I suspect that people who have a problem with the freeform narrative format struggle with their imagination, as you explore the world, the story of what happened to the previous earth and the mystery of the virus becomes clearer, dont just click through the encounter scripts... READ THEM!) There are so many different ways you can approach this game and customize units it's really so very great. I only had to look for online aid twice. Once was for the armored buggy you can stick in your ship, still dont know if it's a robot or needs a driver, but i have future plans to drive one in the midst of enemies and dump a crew of shotgun toting super mutants up their noses) game is good, it's a strategy tweakers wet dream. Expand
  66. Dec 6, 2019
    I’ve only played a few hours, but I enjoy the depth and variety of play. Like any complex game, it takes a bit to understand the systems, especially the range your weapons are effective and how to best level up your troops.
  67. Dec 8, 2019
    Sadly bland and uninteresting - and I was waiting for that game a long time. Storytelling is naive (telling the story as some personal journals rather than scientific discovery - this seems as if the game was directed towards 13 years old, who need a simple to understand story).

Art is silly - the weapons are very elaborate and detailed, which does not really fit a post-apo feel.

Finally, the gameplay is quite meh.

And finally the sounds - some psychopath decided to put very loud, whistling noise in the "spooky" music - those are super-irritating and way too loud.

I've supported this game a long time ago, and wanted to love it but it's unfortunately very meh.
    Waiting for Xenonauts 2.
  68. Feb 12, 2020
    I have known Metacritic for years. This game is so bad that I actually decided to go through the registration process on this site.
    This game sucks ass.
    It's an insult. I bought the ultimate edition when it was released. On the Epic Store. No reviews, no changelog. This game isn't even finished. It's a barebones game full of bugs, unpolished, unfinished. No story, like someone else
    This game sucks ass.
    This game isn't even finished.
    It's a barebones game full of bugs, unpolished, unfinished.
    No story, like someone else wrote, it's all just numbers.
    And the performance is terrible and all you do is wait.
    You can't skip the enemy animations.
    The setting sucks.
    Some virus sent by the aliens has now turned people into bugs.
    And they start mind controlling you 15 hours into the game.
    WIth super resistant mind control bosses. The avatars from xcom2? Regular appearance.
    Mindcontrol idk what they are.. vaginas that land on your soldier's face, but there are 10 of them and you just killed the Scylla it's called a brood mother huge bug type that explodes into those when you kill it and yeah all your soliders are around it and yay you managed to kill the superbug and now you have those mind control vaginas on your face on all soldiers and game over.

**** those devs.

They claim they worked on xcom. Yeah as what? Coffee boy?
    80€ for the ultimate edition!

They better re-release this game. This isn't even a game, it's an alpha.
    It's an insult. Give me back my money.

Absolutely unrealistic and uninspired skills.
    You can't just recruit soldiers, oh no, you have to make friends with some other faction and fly there to recruit them. ****

Balance, what balance?

Seriously I want my money back.

Oh yeah and then they copied the concept of xcom. You know there is the loading screen where your team lands. In xcom it's used as an actualy loading screen that loads stuff.
    Here it's just fluff, to make you waste more time watch some irrelevant video.

Give me my money back!
  69. Mar 16, 2020
    garbage, stay away at all costs
    dont botter buying... full of bugs, abysmal content, scam practices
  70. Apr 7, 2020
    It’s just a frustratingly annoying game. I found myself too annoyed with the glitchy, clunky and frustrating gameplay to enjoy it. Phoenix point puts you in a starting position where it’s difficult to get going and build any momentum.

It could have been a fantastic game, but they have hamstrung themselves by adding too many variables, complex difficulty scaling with enemies and just not filing the game with any meaningful content.

There are not many games that I begrudge buying, however this joins them. It’s nothing like Xcom, a game I enjoyed.
  71. Mar 6, 2020
    This was sold as cutting edge graphics and gameplay, yet delivered basic mechanics and very outdated graphics. The "evolution" system is borrowed from many older JRPG games as is nowhere near as ground-breaking as the devs would have you believe. This brings us to a 4/10 if it were not for the following:

This has become a typical cash-grab by releasing DLC (Blood & Titanium) with

This has become a typical cash-grab by releasing DLC (Blood & Titanium) with critically missing content, balance, and other aspects that prove this was EA but falsely advertised as complete. Also the initial lack of refunds when the juvenile imbalance in gameplay drove many to request one with the first 90 minutes, makes this one more reason to avoid this until (or more likely IF) this game is ever finished and a total pack for a very reasonable price ever comes out.
  72. Sep 26, 2020
    This game could've been epic, but I think they gave up when Epic paid them enough money to move on to other projects. Game is unpolished, and downright lazy in some aspects. Very disappointed.
  73. Nov 18, 2020
    If you loved X-COM so much that you'd play a hollow, ugly, glitchy shell of an X-COM clone, you might just be able to tolerate this hollow, ugly, glitchy shell of an X-COM clone.
  74. Dec 4, 2019
    Love it! more like X-Com UFO Defense than Firaxis versions. Incredible lore and could one day be a masterpiece.
  75. Dec 4, 2019
    Very boring Game.

No sense lore, very bad copy if XCOM 2. El juego es muy aburrido. Empieza a saco, con muy poco contexto. La inclusión de soldados Es aleatoria, no hay proceso de expansión inicial, sencillamente re subes a un coche y cada vez hay más soldados aliados. La IA enemiga es toros,el sistema de apuntado es absurdo, está fuera de sitio. No entiendo las notas, ni sí quiera a
    Very boring Game.

No sense lore, very bad copy if XCOM 2.

No entiendo las notas, ni sí quiera a nivel gráfico está a la altura.
  76. Dec 5, 2019
    Solid game - Was pushed out a bit too soon - but im sure it will grow and evolve into a better game.] Gave it an 8 just to balance out the unfair 0s . Its a rushed out Day 1 game - so their are some bugs and missing features , but its an indie studio in a niche genre so that expected and im sure will evolve over time.
    It a bit hallow from what it should be but the tactical combat is deep
    It a bit hallow from what it should be but the tactical combat is deep and fun. Has a long way to go to be a good game but worth supporting to keep it going .
    It released with a completely unexplained and undocumented stealth system though which is a bit confusing but otherwise fun and solid and another one of those " Just one more round" games
  77. Dec 5, 2019
    I'm about 15 hours in and I must say I quite enjoy Phoenix Point. The big marker of success for this genre of game is whether or not you want to play it to the end— by that marker it works. I offer what I find good about the game and ways I think the game NEEDS to be polished and improved.
    (There's a summary at the bottom)
    It feels like a worthy iteration of one of the most paranoia
    (There's a summary at the bottom)

It feels like a worthy iteration of one of the most paranoia inducing series in gaming history. The procedural map generation is well done in this game with a lot of variety in design and layout. The inclusion of faction specific classes as well as the balance between resting your squad and the injuries you will inevitably suffer breaks the tendency in X-Com 1 and 2 to have a single super squad that steam rolls all missions. This along with the difficulty in getting new soldiers means you will have a constant rotation of different compositions, sometimes out of experimentation sometimes out of desperation. And importantly classes behave differently and serve very different functions, in this way nothing feels too samey.

Metaphorically speaking the construction of Phoenix point is tied to its main theme, I describe it thus as mutagenic. There are a lot of different moving parts in terms of game play, the three factions are in conflict with one another pursuing their own research and slinging arrows while the ominous red mist creeps across the globe spreading Lovecraftian horror. The rogue-like quality in this system of diplomacy has a narrative purpose. I find that for the most part the factions bring nuanced story building through the random encounters and dialogue you have. You speak with haven leaders who are associated with a faction but not necessarily the leader of the faction itself, resulting in conversations with folks from different levels of power in the society. You thus get a sense of the gleaming ideals of those at the top and also the average person's experience living in the proposed society. It's a nice touch and well communicated through the various cinematic bits.

I will say however because it is a mutagenic game a lot of it feels unguided. While there are story missions the game play loop is vaguely pointed to and not structured like X-com 2. A lot of the exploring and doing missions hovers between busy work and immersing yourself in the fantasy. The prospect of scavenging missions, even 10 hours in tends to be, "stop the man crab from hitting the apple barrel." The game itself seems best explored through trial and error, but the payoff is at times vague.

Even as a veteran player I chose the normal difficulty for the sake of learning the game and thus far I've lost a few soldiers and when it happened I knew it was my fault, which is excellent. Still, most fights feel pretty one-sided at this difficulty at least this early on.

Now for the critiques;
    The voice acting in the battlescape is uninspired. The recording quality is not consistent which is almost worse than having everything sound uniformly bad. The sound design, I found it momentarily compelling but not particularly engaging; it's serviceable. This in particular is a shame because I have such a strong positive association with the sound effects and score from the Ps1 port of the original X-com. The music is never bad but often times is hardly noticeable, the gun shots, explosions and sounds of the mutants serve their purpose but aren't anything special.

The graphics are a let down. I find them rudimentary for a 2019 release and it's only by ambition of the ideas that I don't really dislike them. The enemy design is alright, it's not pretty or jaw-dropping. This again is in stark contrast to the excellent design in X-com 2.

As I said earlier the game play loop is unfocused, a lot is tossed at you at once and you'll always have choices to make (what should I research, what should I build, where should I go) but often times it's just a sheer volume of things without any real satisfaction in doing them.

Most egregious are the many typos in different descriptions or journal entries. It's wildly disappointing to see something as simple as a spellcheck being overlooked and I think ties to my final assessment of the game.

Here's my summary:
    Phoenix Point's ambition to expand X-com into something that is simultaneously modern while invoking the complexity and atmosphere of the original is largely successful. It achieves this through the power of its ideas, both regarding that of the hostile invasion that is taking place as well as the interplay between differing ideologies battling in crisis. The mechanics through which it does this however are at this point unpolished. There is a lot of squinting you have to do in order to get sight of the big picture. There are lots of details in of design and implementation that need to be smoothed out in order for it to reach its full potential. I cannot recommend this as a first entry, for veterans go out and buy it for the upcoming free updates.
  78. Dec 6, 2019
    First day I got it, I pumped in 10 hours straight! PP is not genre changing but I addressed all of what was lacking in all of the recent "XCOM-WANNABES"; Firaxis XCOM's lack of strategic depth and overly simplified combat, the Original X-COM's overly complex action points system with unimpressionable characters, the UFO AFTER series lack of a proper combat system. I am glad PP found theFirst day I got it, I pumped in 10 hours straight! PP is not genre changing but I addressed all of what was lacking in all of the recent "XCOM-WANNABES"; Firaxis XCOM's lack of strategic depth and overly simplified combat, the Original X-COM's overly complex action points system with unimpressionable characters, the UFO AFTER series lack of a proper combat system. I am glad PP found the perfect middle ground for real X-COM fans in terms of combat and base management. Particularly in terms of the new action points system. It is dressed up visually to look like the XCOM system but is really internally a simplified X-COM system. Sounds complex? I think the way it is presented makes it too much like XCOM and do not give justice to the genius of this new system. AS a 30 years X-com player, I really love this and I think this along with the real ballistic and aiming system does push the genre forward. I will not be surprised to see more of similar mechanics in future turn based games. Expand
  79. Dec 8, 2019
    This game has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, potential is the thing it already had when the crowfunding was occurring. Now that it's released, I can't help but see it as a disappointment.
    Sure, it has a lot of interesting mechanics (stealth is rather well implemented even if the information feedback is lacking), some weapons, like the viral guns and the spider drone are are fun to use, the dual classes are a fun thing,... but it has a lot of glaring issues too.
    For one, balancing... The game has none. The special actions are based on a will point system, but this system has a weird value for what counts as an action... Enemies can mind control you for a handful of points, and repeat it on every turn, on different soldiers. Some can snipe you from the other side of the map with crippling explosives as long as one of their allies has a line of sight, and all for one measly will point. They can have heavy armor and run across half the map, while you can't do **** if you have heavy armor. The enemies are all equipped with some sort of shredding weapon while you are not,... And the list continues. I'd say, buy it if you are ready to play only this game for 100 hours, with a stale gameplay compared to other similar titles, and only a handful of strategies worth using (which is ironic considering the "variety" mutations and weapon diversity was supposed to bring to the table)

Tldr : wait for patches, steam release and (eventual) mods
  80. Dec 9, 2019
    Bloody good xcom like game, needs a bit of bug squash and better tutorial, but it's a great game regardless
  81. Dec 3, 2019
    Забавляют микрочелики, которые сравнивают эту игру с XCOM, при этом не понимая, что PP является идейным продолжателем X-COM из 90х. В игре много потенциала, надеюсь разработчики доведут все до ума.
  82. Dec 4, 2019
    Ah HUGE step up from the X-Com remake. Captures the flair and angst of the original X-Com. Micromanagement for ammunition, Perks and the free fire option are great implementations for the genre. Also, the frustrating "adjacent miss" that X-Com was infamous for is no more. Dive into that great game and enjoy! Btw, this is not a X-Com ripoff when the creator of the original X-Com made thisAh HUGE step up from the X-Com remake. Captures the flair and angst of the original X-Com. Micromanagement for ammunition, Perks and the free fire option are great implementations for the genre. Also, the frustrating "adjacent miss" that X-Com was infamous for is no more. Dive into that great game and enjoy! Btw, this is not a X-Com ripoff when the creator of the original X-Com made this game. It is more like the next step in evolution!
    Graphics are good, Story is okay, all in all a stable release (at least for me it is). If I could remap my keys now it would be a perfect 10 (or 5 out of 7 if you like)
  83. Dec 4, 2019
    Review based on around 8 hours of play. As a fan of Xcom, so far i am really enjoying this game.
    The good -
    Enemy design is great and varied. Enemies of a certain type will not always have the same loadout or the same approach and this leads to a lot of variety. Tactics find a very good balance between making this deeper than the console friendly new Xcoms from Firaxis (which i liked)
    The good -
    Tactics find a very good balance between making this deeper than the console friendly new Xcoms from Firaxis (which i liked) but not making it too complicated.

The factions are memorable and seem to take a leaf out of the playbook of Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri i.e. factions are well differentiated by philosophy and the game does a good job of presenting these different perspectives with neutrality. I really like this and more games should do it.

The meh-
    The game is lacking in the graphic design department - though i do really like the enemy design, the design of everything else is a bit generic and UI is very dated especially in the strategic screens.
    This clearly didn't have a triple A budget and both the cutsene and voice acting quality reflect that. It's not bad per say but it is 'budget'. None of this should put you off buying the game.

Overall for a kickstarter game this it's great. Looking forward to spending many more hours with this!!
  84. Dec 8, 2019
    Initially I gave 6/10 to this game, but after playing for couple of days changed to 9/10.
    My problem is that I expected something like X-COM or better yet X-COM with modern graphics and maybe a bit different firing system, the game is not it .
    However, its a great game, I started to love it ! On the bad side there still rather uneventful, blend, research and the learning curve is
    However, its a great game, I started to love it !
    On the bad side there still rather uneventful, blend, research and the learning curve is unpleasant, also the “switch” from “everything is too easy and world is small” to “damn, I can’t pass any mission and the world is huge” is just too sharp.
  85. Dec 6, 2019
    Quite a good game, it has it's own lore, I love the way every bullet is individually simulated so you never feel like the game just cheats you. It keeps me interested like the XCOM and X-Com games did. Way more flexible in soldier maneuvers than the 'walk-shoot' system in Firaxis games, it fits my careful playstyle more.
    Individual spotting rather thant 'packs' of enemies, that makes it
    Individual spotting rather thant 'packs' of enemies, that makes it nice and realistic.
    I really enjoy this game and look forward to many more hours in it!
  86. Dec 6, 2019
    Dishonest devs. Less than average game. Low quality no doubt because of epic exclusivity. 6.8 user score is generous.
  87. Dec 4, 2019
    Not at all what I was expecting in terms of quality. Also getting some crashing issues with the game unfortunately. I do not recommend.
  88. Dec 4, 2019
    I want to note that i rate this game as what it is, a mid budget successor not to FiraxCom but the old Xcom UFO defence. while a tad rough around the edges the out of the box experience is entertaining and loyal to much of the original. the gane will clearly benefit from some DLC, but i stress again that the out of the box experience is a fun one.
  89. Dec 4, 2019
    Хороший наследник старого X-COM. Сюжетно это больше хоррор в стиле Лавкрафта, нежели боевик об войне с инопланетянами. Ибо главные наши враги это мутировавшие люди и животные. Очень радиует балистика стрельбы - каждая пуля в очереди просчитывается отдельно (привет Front Mission 3) - почему так нельзя было сделать в играх Firaxis мне не понятно.
    Да, есть и минусы. Слабый дизайн и графика,
    Да, есть и минусы. Слабый дизайн и графика, кое где не очень удачная анимация. Но лично я готов это простить. Очень надеюсь что 5 грядущих дополнений сделают игру действительно 10 из 10. А пока десятка авансом.
  90. Dec 9, 2019
    Amazing Game. If you liked classic XCOM or even the newer version, you will love this game. I can see it being a classic for years to come. It's a life stealer though. Set some time aside.
  91. Dec 9, 2019
    First, this game didn't deserve a Mass Dislike and review bombing like that...
    For a AAA like BL3 or else i can understand, but not a Kickstarted Indy game...
    If people want to play Xcom from Firaxis, just do it, don't ask a game to be an other one, it's useless. My opinion after some hours, didn't finished the main campaign yet: Good: - Combat are strategics - The 3D visual is
    First, this game didn't deserve a Mass Dislike and review bombing like that...
    For a AAA like BL3 or else i can understand, but not a Kickstarted Indy game...

My opinion after some hours, didn't finished the main campaign yet:

Good:
    - Combat are strategics
    - The 3D visual is nice and is really well optimized (60FPS at 1080p with a PC: i7-4790K no-OC + GTX 980 no-OC )
    - There is many way to play, many classe and combo
    - The Ui who is clean, not a mess, easy to understand
    - An in game PhoenixPedia for more info
    - Mechanics are well explained and easy to understand, but not easy to mastery
    - Really cool looking Artistic direction
    - The Real Aim Sight Mechanics !!!! it change A LOT the game play, it's amazing and totally change the feeling from game like this one.
    - The story who seems amazing and very interesting but...

Bad:
    - ... the Story is not nought present, to mush in the back, why ???
    - The music are to shy, and i think they was composed before the game loosed his horror atmosphere, that why sometime the music seems more dark than what happen in game and doesn't suit well.
    - Combat music have to be a little more punshy, more energetic i think, but it's personal feeling.
    - No cinematic effect during combat, or cut Scene, like when you One shot someone from far away with your sniper, as we can see in Trailer Video, there nothing like this in game.
    This point isn't that important maybe but it add a lot of fun and help the player to feel the grinding of his team and when he grow in power. There isn't to be all the time, but just sometime, when great action happen.
    It's nice to see the effect of our strategy in action in a nice looking scene.
    - Maybe not enough class and different equipment
    - No PvP online :/

Special case:
    - The lost of the Horror Side of the game.
    I can understand why for this point, this is a niche game and with an horror background and story, maybe too mush people will let the game on the side and look for something else.
    But the game had to be sell one day and earn some money, we musn't forget this, even if it's fan made from people who love video game and what they done, even if it's a kickstarter, there people who need to feed there family behind this game !
    I a saying all of this and i not even backed the game xD

Well, whatever, the game is nice, interesting, need some adjustment and there will be some before the end of the year with a free DLC.
    Give it a chance, even later, if you like this kind of game.

But stop Review bombing, it's stupid, Epic or not !
  92. Dec 9, 2019
    Snapshot delivered a good game. It builds on UFO/XCOM mechanics in a fun way and adds own twist on top of that. Geoscape is meaningful and fights are fun. Currectly there are some bugs and balacing issues here and there but nothing that can't be solved by a patch. I do like the difficullty though - it seems player has to adapt to Pandoran evolution too and it is a race with time to win.Snapshot delivered a good game. It builds on UFO/XCOM mechanics in a fun way and adds own twist on top of that. Geoscape is meaningful and fights are fun. Currectly there are some bugs and balacing issues here and there but nothing that can't be solved by a patch. I do like the difficullty though - it seems player has to adapt to Pandoran evolution too and it is a race with time to win.

I liked the game a lot better than first XCOM and at least on par with XCOM2/Xenonauts.
  93. Dec 9, 2019
    what a dissapointment!
    big fan from the old xcom and the new from firefax is nice too.
    i was hoping for an old x-com with new engine :D or an firaxes xcom with more deepness that game is boring and it lacks at love u can not grow an experience general soldier who done many missions.they are max lvl (7) in very short time. can remember how much fun it was at the old x-com to
    what a dissapointment!
    big fan from the old xcom and the new from firefax is nice too.

i was hoping for an old x-com with new engine :D
    or an firaxes xcom with more deepness

that game is boring and it lacks at love

can remember how much fun it was at the old x-com to have those "special" soldiers.

there is not rly any basemanagement.yes u can trade and sell stuff but it is useless.

the maps are soo damn boring,firaxes did way better job.

the geoscape is .. yes boring :D and confusing. i miss the ufos

the soldiers management is a nightmare.

for what i need another phoenixpoint base? why do i need a better aircraft?all useless.
    with weapons its almost the same.
    its just not fun if the research have new things for u.
    the feeling with that research result, where u get finally the plasma gun to kick the technically superior aliens in the ass are not exist.

there are so many more things i could write but i spare u people more from my bad english

lets hope for xenonauts2 than
  94. Dec 17, 2019
    This game is a hot underdeveloped mess. An intriguing story and concept of a long dormant virus released from melting permafrost is wasted. The global map and games overall pacing are underdeveloped. The bases have no strategic game to them and look like place holders for real content. Maps are small and cluttered and most times you out gun the enemy except when your forced to face armoredThis game is a hot underdeveloped mess. An intriguing story and concept of a long dormant virus released from melting permafrost is wasted. The global map and games overall pacing are underdeveloped. The bases have no strategic game to them and look like place holders for real content. Maps are small and cluttered and most times you out gun the enemy except when your forced to face armored monstrosities a few hours in with no hope of beating them. Gear and Danger should escalate slowly over time. It just isn't fun in it's present form. Expand
  95. Dec 5, 2019
    Глючная, сырая, скучная, безликая. Разнообразие тактик? Нет. Баланс на высокой сложности? Нет. Хотя бы экшон и графон? Тоже нет. Кто-то купил в EGS за 300р. - вот её цена, а не 1799р.
  96. Dec 16, 2019
    The game is fine. But this is an indie level game, that was crowdfunded, and it shows. So I dont understand why it is being sold at AAA pricing and exclusive on EPIC.
    Wait for it to come to Steam and at a discount. By then the bugs of the game should be fixed and they had a year to add content to the game.
  97. Dec 6, 2019
    Just started and i must say the game is very good, have an old laptop so i have to play on low setting but still looks fine, but used to have sinclair so maybe graphics isnt a deal breaker for me. the game works great but some loading times. But i think most of the negative reviews are because people were just expecting too much and some people thought it would be more user friendly likeJust started and i must say the game is very good, have an old laptop so i have to play on low setting but still looks fine, but used to have sinclair so maybe graphics isnt a deal breaker for me. the game works great but some loading times. But i think most of the negative reviews are because people were just expecting too much and some people thought it would be more user friendly like the new XCOM games who are great by the way. And its the same with this game as any other game today that is its probably put out a little bit soon so we have to wait for patches and upgrades for some time and hopefully after few months it will be even better. have been playing Fallout 4 finally and its great and everything works fine and all the dlc's are good too. If you want a great turn based game then check this out Expand
  98. Dec 6, 2019
    The core game is fine and fun but far from polished. The cover mechanic is broken on many maps as well as the line of sight. In such a strategic game it can break a mission if you rely on the line of sight indicator.

Also the maps and missions get repetetive pretty fast...
  99. Dec 7, 2019
    While some of the mission types pop up far too often (I'm looking at you scavenge missions), there is a lot of detail to get into and depth to explore.

I prefer the movement mechanics to xcom, though they did take getting used to!

The story is interesting and I'm currently working with the faction I least thought I would. Enjoyable fun that will keep me going for quite some time!
  100. Dec 7, 2019
    Before i start i have some bias from the whole steam epic store switch, but still the game is dated and has too many bugs. you can say its good for a kickstarter game or indie dev but at the end of the day they got backed by epic hard so they were no longer a kickstarter in terms of funding. the game truly deserves a 5 or 6 at this point with some polish and maybe see what they do in theBefore i start i have some bias from the whole steam epic store switch, but still the game is dated and has too many bugs. you can say its good for a kickstarter game or indie dev but at the end of the day they got backed by epic hard so they were no longer a kickstarter in terms of funding. the game truly deserves a 5 or 6 at this point with some polish and maybe see what they do in the coming months a 7 or 8 if you get over your bias for the dishonesty Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 48 Critic Reviews

1. May 7, 2020
    Even with all its technical flaws and strategic hiccups, Phoenix Point manages to pull together some of the best aspects of classic and contemporary turn-based tactical design and, in doing so, it somehow leaves me wanting more. It’s not a recommendation that comes without caveats thanks to the bugs and hiccups, but the struggle is worth it.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 28, 2020
    In some ways, the game may look simple, but the opposite is true. Thanks to the difficulty and intriguing environment you will spend dozens of hours playing the game. [Issue#301]
  3. Feb 28, 2020
    This is a true spiritual successor to X-Com games. The tense atmosphere and terribly lopsided fight to save humanity make this a wonderful strategic experience.