9.1

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Apr 19, 2011
    If this is the game of the year, then it definitely is a bad year for games.
    i could see how this game could be challenging and funny to 10 year olds,
    but for adult gamers its just too easy and childish in its execution, don't believe the hype, its an ok game but nothing to get excited about. the singleplayer part is worth around 4-5 hours of gaming , after solving the puzzles
    If this is the game of the year, then it definitely is a bad year for games.
    i could see how this game could be challenging and funny to 10 year olds,
    but for adult gamers its just too easy and childish in its execution,
    don't believe the hype, its an ok game but nothing to get excited about.

the singleplayer part is worth around 4-5 hours of gaming , after solving the puzzles there's no point in playing through them again, so the replayability is lacking.
    i haven't tried the multiplayer coop yet but hope this offers some redeeming qualities.

i'm giving this a 1 only to bring the unrealistic score caused by valve fanboys down to earth,
    my actual rating would be around a 6

Pros:
    - some new gameplay elements
    - occasional funny lines - ok graphics
    - slightly longer than portal 1 - new different areas/settings

cons:
    - The game was dumbed down, much easier than part 1 despite the new gameplay elements, which is a shame - the game tries to hard to be funny, trying to turn every line in a joke, often without being humorous
    (a little subtlety would have been better)
    - stephen merchant gets annoying in his role of robot orb.
    - story is lacking really, one dimensional, predictable without much depth.
    - Music sounds amateurish
    - too many loading screens.
    - occasional crashes
  2. Apr 6, 2021
    it is not gex ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍it is not gex ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍
  3. Jun 27, 2018
    I am deeply disappointed with Portal 2. To the point that I feel almost "painful" playing it, it feels a bore to me, and I'm hoping it will end soon (could I stop playing? Yes I could. But I like finishing stuff - I'm OCD that way ;-).

In a few words, I find Portal 2 boring, extremely linear and soulless. Level after level, test chamber after test chamber, there's only one way to go,

In a few words, I find Portal 2 boring, extremely linear and soulless.
    Level after level, test chamber after test chamber, there's only one way to go, one solution to the puzzles, and nothing to discover or stumble upon (save for some minor Easter eggs). It's like a giant "connect the dots" game: the dots are neatly drawn, you only have to connect them.
    Yes, some puzzles are hard (to me, at least), but I cannot see creativity there because once you found THE solution, it's the only one possible. There's no point in experimenting, or looking for alternate ways.
    In one word, it feels like a drag (though I admit it gets a little better and a bit more creative with the gels).

Lastly, I loved GlaDOS mean personality in Portal 1. While here I find Cave's comments funny and quirky, they're way less entertaining and unique than GlaDOS one-liners in Portal 1.

I see I'm in the minority, and it's fine. It's all subjective.
    But Valve, oh Valve... what have you become?
  4. Dec 19, 2019
    Read this review before voting No on this review. This review is coming from a person with game design experience and playtesting experience. If I were a playtester for Portal 2, I would beg valve to change it.

Let me get this straight, Portal 2 is a good game. But the fact that this game is a sequel to the original is why the score is so low. Why it is the worst sequel I've ever

Why it is the worst sequel I've ever played:
    I cannot take Portal 2 seriously at all. I don't understand why valve would do this to the Portal series. How does this mix in with the original? If I were to look at a screenshot of the escape levels in
    Portal 2, I should be able to say "That looks like something from Portal", but Portal 2 went with it's own style which was a big mistake. Portal's behind the scenes areas were supposed to look like maintenance rooms with nice orange and beautiful atmospheric lighting. Portal 2 messes that up and I still have the same atmosphere as if I were in a test chamber.

All walls in Portal are supposed to be held by panels while other walls like the metal (non-portalable) textures in the test chamber are actually just blocks. Some metal walls even had light holes in them. But for some reason Portal 2 has change everything to robotic arms. Portal already had panels and some of the could even turn using joints. Why did valve choose to use robots instead of machines? I don't want to feel like the facility is made of robots.

Elevators in Portal 1 are way better than Portal 2, for some reason everything in Portal 2 is transferred by a tube. In Portal, they look more futuristic especially because it is being held by a beam. Portal 2 tries to make their elevators look cool by putting random buttons and random crap on it.

For a sequel, it gets a 3/10
    I would rather valve call this a game that is not a sequel to portal but rather puzzles with portalgun.

Now lets look at the merits of Portal 2:
    Has a long campaign and takes us to the backstory of Portal. The graphics are good.

Good plot and I won't say that Portal has a better plot than Portal 2. But I will say that Portal tells their story better in a very satisfying and unique way.

Portal 2 has an official, working and functional cooperative.

Portal 2 also has a user-friendly map editor, you can make maps for cooperative or singleplayer.

For the game it self, 8/10. But it still gets a general 3/10 because valve says this is a sequel.
  5. Jul 16, 2011
    I had a great time with the original portal and overall the second has disappointed me a little. At least with the first one there was some skill involved in hitting your portals that you placed, Now you practically get funnelled into the portal. I enjoyed wheatleys comic relief but overall it became a little annoying and personally I think they should have left. I certainly hope thereI had a great time with the original portal and overall the second has disappointed me a little. At least with the first one there was some skill involved in hitting your portals that you placed, Now you practically get funnelled into the portal. I enjoyed wheatleys comic relief but overall it became a little annoying and personally I think they should have left. I certainly hope there are some advanced maps like in portal 1 because some of those were really challenging and I loved the time trials and the take only this many steps part. Expand
  6. Apr 28, 2011
    The dissapointment felt at playing this game is probably made greater by the fact that games of an excellent quality are expected from Valve. The problem with Portal 2 is that it does not have that perfect feeling that accompanies other Valve titles. The original Portal was an amazing game, sadly I feel that Portal 2 is more eratic and less focused than it's predecessor, and although aThe dissapointment felt at playing this game is probably made greater by the fact that games of an excellent quality are expected from Valve. The problem with Portal 2 is that it does not have that perfect feeling that accompanies other Valve titles. The original Portal was an amazing game, sadly I feel that Portal 2 is more eratic and less focused than it's predecessor, and although a good game by todays standards I do not feel that it has done Valve justice. I also feel that the price-length ratio is terrible, for such a short game the price tag was very high. Expand
  7. Sep 13, 2011
    Some people get Portal. I don't. I don't find it entertaining. It gets boring really fast. Perhaps it's the amazing start - too amazing to fit the rest of the game.
  8. Apr 21, 2011
    very unimpressed so far. paid way too much for just a short game, expected more game time for such a high price. The cash shop (day 1 DLC) pretty much sealed the deal for me. Big letdown from Valve.
  9. Feb 11, 2014
    I only would like to know why is this game a perfect game. wow . A robot jumping in holes . A laberinty square game. i didnt finish it . Why is the game of the year ? maybe the money ? Who knows? I prefer tetrix
  10. Jan 6, 2012
    How can this be game of the year in so many peoples eyes. Its too similar to the first game.
    The first game was decent as it was original and I managed to get it for free.
    Overall this is just disappointing.
  11. Oct 5, 2011
    I've beat both Portal and Portal 2. Portal 1 is ok, and my favourite of the 2. Portal 2 is pretty boring, tedious, and is extremely drawn out for what it is. The hype surrounding this game is just that... hype.
  12. Apr 25, 2011
    Fairly uninspired. Co-op is ill advised, and single player is short and not worth the asking price. Ending was weak, and the middle managed to drag even when the game is only 3 hours long.
  13. Mar 7, 2013
    cute sayings (6), nice logic tasks (8), relatively good graphics (7) constant load (2) a punishment for a fast thinker. Especially at the beginning where you basically run through, not even pressed every 2 min charging time enjoy the game into bottomless
  14. Sep 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is almost outstanding with some crucial technical flaws that gave this game rating a four for me. First, the game rating would have been retained as "T for Teen" since adventure and violence are too intense for young children. Second, one level in one map loading at a time makes a lot of players knew it was a ported PC game from the video console. Third, the story is great with some laughs, but redundant drama isn't making a good sense of keeping up the gameplay. Fourth, the SP game campaign is as long as any recent Call of Duty game with a "not-so-worth it" regular price. The co-op campaign was a great addition but having 100+ levels of puzzles and having additional DLC and MP features would have secured a outstanding deal out of this game. I loved the graphics with its recent engine but overall the best game by Valve is always the first Half-Life game, period. Expand
  15. May 14, 2011
    How long Valve will create games using 7 years old source engine ? High price for an old looking game and shameless console port, is nothing more than a joke.
  16. May 21, 2011
    The game's art is beautifully done, but in terms of difficulty, it;s much easier than the first one. I finished the game in 5 hours, finding all the hidden things and dens.

Many tests are basically just find the patch of white wall now. The length of this game in relation to its price is simply atrocious. The length is less than half of what a normal game length should be. Its less than

Many tests are basically just find the patch of white wall now.

The length of this game in relation to its price is simply atrocious. The length is less than half of what a normal game length should be. Its less than a third. Therefore I'll divide my score by 3.
  17. May 29, 2011
    A totally overrated game. What I couldn't stand was the annoying characters and some of the really stupid dialogue lines. Everything else was pretty much below average. Piece of trash game!
  18. Apr 25, 2011
    Normally I would not rate a game, any game, especially a Valve game, this low, but the crazy people rating this game a 10 need an offset. First off, let me say I LOVED the original Portal. As much as I loved my purchase of Orange Box, Portal, the little addon, was my favorite part of it. I still go back and play it now and again. Now, with this poorly executed console port known asNormally I would not rate a game, any game, especially a Valve game, this low, but the crazy people rating this game a 10 need an offset. First off, let me say I LOVED the original Portal. As much as I loved my purchase of Orange Box, Portal, the little addon, was my favorite part of it. I still go back and play it now and again. Now, with this poorly executed console port known as Portal 2, I have my first ever disappointment from Valve.
    While the game was not terrible by any means, it was just... Lacking... The voice acting is ok. The characters are ok. None of it was outstanding. However, the level development is where the game really goes south. NONE of the levels took more than one or two tries to complete. At the current price point this game is a HUGE waste of money. The fact that they are on day ONE charging people for DLC just shows that Valve has succumbed to the greedy views of other game companies.
    Porting Portal 2 from the console to the PC was bad. Just bad. You now no longer need to "aim" yourself into a portal. You sorta just get auto piloted into them. The puzzles are so easy because, well, there is no where to place a portal except in the correct spot. Where there is not a correct spot, there is some of the white stuff to make the right spot. With the addition of the light bridges, blue and orange gells, there could be sooooooo much more and better level design.
    Most of the levels are simple minded click here click there win designs. You don't even get into the new gels until most of the VERY short game is over.
    I played through the entire game in half a day casually. I was expecting to get at least a couple of days of play out of it. I was sorely disappointed. The "rat in a maze" feeling I got from this game left a very sour taste in my mouth for Valve...
    The ending... wow, what a let down...
  19. Apr 25, 2011
    Basically in Portal 2 you're spending $60 for a poorly done console port. The puzzles aren't horribly challenging and the game engine Value has been using since Half-Life 2 is starting to show its age despite all spit polish the developers have rubbed on it. Graphically it looks remarkably like Left 4 Dead, and I swear they're actually repeating textures used in that game. At best thisBasically in Portal 2 you're spending $60 for a poorly done console port. The puzzles aren't horribly challenging and the game engine Value has been using since Half-Life 2 is starting to show its age despite all spit polish the developers have rubbed on it. Graphically it looks remarkably like Left 4 Dead, and I swear they're actually repeating textures used in that game. At best this game is worth $24.99 and not a penny more. Expand
  20. Jul 26, 2011
    the game is so easy that to finish it within hours, the game have not bugs that true, but the gameplay is boring and easy, only need to seach points for passing level. i also dislike the voices xD
  21. Mar 31, 2015
    A puzzle game? No - it's something like point-and-click game as for me. There's no challenge filling at all. You complete the game very quick. The gameplay is very linear and monotonous. There's no gameplay at all!
  22. Oct 13, 2020
    Portal 2 is a painful irritating garbage fest, with repetitive puzzles, unbelievably same-ey locations that feel like Deja Vu every time, boring mechanics, and clunky unintuitive controls that make you feel like a fat drunkard on stilts.
  23. Dec 30, 2021
    The passage was super dull, I went through it through force, in three passes with a break of a month. The puzzles themselves are easy, but looking at the reviews, this is a masterpiece of puzzles, and in fact, super stupid, dull ****
  24. Jan 18, 2021
    since the pandemic started, we have all been feeling bored and depressed, but for me, NOPE! PORTAL 2 SAVED ME! do yourself a favor and PLAY THIS GAME. NOW. 10/10, complete masterpiece.
  25. Nov 14, 2020
    As cool as this game may be, it does NOT work on MacOS Catalina even though advertised that it works on Mac. This caused me to pay for the game unnecessarily after not even being able to access it on my laptop. Please update the game software to be compatible with the latest and most popular MacOS.
  26. Jan 6, 2022
    El juego de referencia en el género puzle, es el que crea y asienta las bases con una sólida historia, divertido, jugable, y con 2 campañas distintas, para un jugador y 2 jugadores coop.
  27. Aug 3, 2022