6.4

1. Aug 13, 2019
    I am really enjoying this game. It seems to put the focus on fun, rather than super-realism. I like fun. I like blowing things up. There's lots of explosions. The voice acting is pretty decent too. The one liners when fighting people are pretty great!
    One of my favorite games growing up was Wing Commander: Privateer. If you played that and enjoyed it at all, you owe it to yourself to check this game out!
    If you want a super realistic space sim, with a super dynamic economy, rendering the entire mikly way.... this isn't it.
    If you want to have fun blowing stuff up in space while rocking out to a great soundtrack, this is definitely it.
  2. Aug 14, 2019
    Amazing arcade type space game! This game plays extremely well the way it was intended to which is using a game-pad that is the recommended play style and with a game-pad the game is excellent!

The story is quite good actually I found it more enjoyable then the first, the graphics are very well and the game is extremely well optimized! On my 1060 with a Ryzen 5 2600 I get a solid 60FPS on the highest settings at 1080p.
    The game however is not without faults some of those can be a tad annoying such as engaging in combat with lower ranged weaponry and the NPC's talking to you which will prevent you from viewing the enemy ship range meaning you either fire and waste power or wait for the chat to end and see the distance, another issue is the save system and as much as I enjoy it actually saving more often this does bring up issues where it can save mid mission and if that mission is too difficult you may be stuck in a combat loop forcing you to restart the entire game since the game does not allow you to re load the save from a certain point such as when you docked at the station. I have also encountered a strange bug where on occasion when approaching a station without enemies I immediately lose shields and take massive module damage for no apparent reason and this is quite annoying as heavily damaged modules are not cheap to repair.

Now onto music, the music in RGO is quite impressive it has a massive array songs ready to play and several stations of differing genres to choose from, it even includes a neat little streamer mode so it only plays songs that you can use in your videos without issues! You can even add your own custom music which can be set as the combat music, station music, or idle music and even create a custom mix tape that shows up in the radio menu.

If you are looking for a space arcade type game (not to be confused with space sims such as Elite Dangerous) then this game is worth the $30, its quick to pick up and has plenty of action!
  3. Aug 13, 2019
    Bought the game for space combat but found the controls to be pretty bad. The combat is based around an auto follow / auto aim setup. Mouse is essentially unplayable. My HOTAS which i typically use for these games also controlled incredibly bad. The gamepad is the only thing that works well for this game. If you don't like playing on pad and find hold button to follow/lock on unappealing IBought the game for space combat but found the controls to be pretty bad. The combat is based around an auto follow / auto aim setup. Mouse is essentially unplayable. My HOTAS which i typically use for these games also controlled incredibly bad. The gamepad is the only thing that works well for this game. If you don't like playing on pad and find hold button to follow/lock on unappealing I would just avoid this game entirely. It could probably be a middling score if it weren't for the show stopper of bad controls. Expand
  4. Aug 14, 2019
    Launched with abysmal keyboard and mouse controls, and apparently a slew of flight stick issues. I cannot put into words how awful the keyboard and mouse controls are. For a game selling itself as a continuation of '90s space flight sims, they sure did **** all research into good control schemes.

The gameplay itself is what you expect of the genre, if a bit shallow. For example you can't actually dock, you can only approach stations and press 'E'. Missions consist of flying to a purple or yellow icon by pressing 'E', and then either pressing 'E' again, or clicking on enemies until they die. Sometimes you press 'E' again to loot. There is a reason it only costs $30. Your money is probably better spent on other games, unless you really want to play it for some reason. No Man's Sky is on sale for $30 right now and if you don't have it yet you'll get way more out of it.

if it wasn't for the horrendous controls I would give it a 6 or 7. I wanted to like this game, I really did, but it is so damn half baked, with incorrect keybind prompts popping up, no "up one menu" key, really strange mouse controls in certain menus, and so on. Be highly dubious of anyone giving it a 10. I could see someone who played it with a controller with no expectations of a flight sim giving it an 8 at the most, which is what the professional critics seem to have averaged on.
  5. Aug 13, 2019
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    . While the first game focused on large ship battles with broadside cannon engagements, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a story prequel, putting you in the cockpit of light fighters playing the mother of the original games' protagonist. It is now exclusively available on the Epic Games Store until around Aug 2020, at which time it will expand to a Steam release as well as
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

It is now exclusively available on the Epic Games Store until around Aug 2020, at which time it will expand to a Steam release as well as other possible platforms.
  6. Aug 14, 2019
    This game is bad. Really bad. Coming off of just finishing rebel galaxy, jumping into everspace and elite dangerous, this game flies like a monstrosity mix of elite dangerous and no mans sky. In a world where we have unbelievable gems like everspace for freedom of movement and elite dangerous for realism, why would you ever go back 10 steps to something just bad. Everything about this gameThis game is bad. Really bad. Coming off of just finishing rebel galaxy, jumping into everspace and elite dangerous, this game flies like a monstrosity mix of elite dangerous and no mans sky. In a world where we have unbelievable gems like everspace for freedom of movement and elite dangerous for realism, why would you ever go back 10 steps to something just bad. Everything about this game is more complicated than it needs to be and not in the elite dangerous good way.

Pros
    1. Soundtrack
    2. Graphics (cartoony but fine)

Cons
    1. Gameplay
    2. Acting
    3. Controls
    4. Space movement

I think much of this could be corrected if you were zoomed out significantly further from your ship
  7. Aug 14, 2019
    The game is very poorly intuitive and balanced. You're attacked but Elite unkillable hoards of ennemies without a single chance to win. Graphics and not very nice, they're okay for a 2012 game, but not in 2019. Economy is way too basic and obscure ; anyways, you just can't have a big trade ship, as there are only 4 models of ship in the game, and the cargo capacity is ridiculous.The game is very poorly intuitive and balanced. You're attacked but Elite unkillable hoards of ennemies without a single chance to win. Graphics and not very nice, they're okay for a 2012 game, but not in 2019. Economy is way too basic and obscure ; anyways, you just can't have a big trade ship, as there are only 4 models of ship in the game, and the cargo capacity is ridiculous.

Dogfight is very hard to manage as the radar is almost unreadable. I was waiting this game for a long time, and I'm eventually really deceived. I was hoping for a new Freelancer, I get this poor game whose content is far from any player expectations.

I do not recommend.
  8. Aug 14, 2019
    Absolutely brilliant game. Great, exciting, accessible combat. The best explosions I've ever seen in a game. Awesome soundtrack. Just amazeballs.
  9. Aug 14, 2019
    Definitively worse than the first. Telling people that this game reminds them of Privateer is an insult to this master-piece.

+ the music
    + ship design
    + nice intro

- the hud and the user interface are horrible
    - the fov made me puke
    - the grind
    - the mouse controls are terri-bad
    - the protagonist is dull
    - the story is meh

Avoid at all cost !
  10. Aug 13, 2019
    It's a great game. The tribalism by Valve fanbois will obviously drag the ratings down though.
    If you loved Privateer, as I do, you'll love RGO.
  11. Aug 13, 2019
    Oh
    My
    God

This game reminds me about the best time and experience I had playing Freelancer. Been waiting for next Freelancer or a game that looks like Freelancer for almost 2 decades.
    If you used to be a fun of Freelancer or Wing Commander series you should try to play Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it!
    Thanks to developers of the game. You're amazing guys!
  12. Aug 13, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good space combat and things to do good price too and it also has a story line to go through as well and its only 30 dollars Expand
  13. Aug 15, 2019
    The controls are unbearable. Can't believe that Freelancer in the 90's outclasses this one. Also, beware the Epic Games Store. I created an account for this game and suddenly, someone got ahold of my credit card information. What followed are three $150 charges on my credit card. I'm guessing some sort of Fortnite currency. I don't play Fortnite so I'm just guessing. Beware, however, theirThe controls are unbearable. Can't believe that Freelancer in the 90's outclasses this one. Also, beware the Epic Games Store. I created an account for this game and suddenly, someone got ahold of my credit card information. What followed are three $150 charges on my credit card. I'm guessing some sort of Fortnite currency. I don't play Fortnite so I'm just guessing. Beware, however, their security is obviously not up to par with some other sites. You have been warned. Expand
  14. Aug 15, 2019
    Ok. I’ve upped the score because I have found workarounds to the save system which Double Damage have said they will be fixing.

Will update review when they come through. Hmm, I was so looking forward to this but it feels unfinished and the save game system is bad and colours this review.I had to start a new game twice after being auto saved in a combat loop on two different missions

Will update review when they come through.

Hmm, I was so looking forward to this but it feels unfinished and the save game system is bad and colours this review.I had to start a new game twice after being auto saved in a combat loop on two different missions where I was under attack and unable to escape, Maybe later in the game when I can afford afterburners it may be easier to run away, which dec]vs recommended, but no money for those.

There is only one save game and no secondary save back at your last base. To adult insult to injury the save menu has multiple save slots but that’s for new games only. No manual save and no secondary save at last base.

If you have poor eyesight the settings menus in game may gave you problems as they have gone for a sort of faded scratched out look for the text.

Taking the ship out for a spin started out being fun and I liked the graphic style but there is no tutorial and you can be quickly out of your depth if you get into a fight and haven’t worked out what button does what.

Writing this I think I’ll stop playing before I exceed the two hour refund limit and see if the do something about the save system as I want to love this game but it’s fighting me all the way. Thank god you can skip the cutscenes when you have to start a new game due to borked save.
  15. Aug 14, 2019
    A fantastic return the the classic space game formula, just tons of find and at a very reasonable price! Considering this is just made by 5 people it’s packed with features that rival some AAA games. It’s WW2 style combat and it’s offers a variety of different ships that can be kitted out in many ways. Honestly, it’s just fun to play! The soundtrack has got to be one of the best a game hasA fantastic return the the classic space game formula, just tons of find and at a very reasonable price! Considering this is just made by 5 people it’s packed with features that rival some AAA games. It’s WW2 style combat and it’s offers a variety of different ships that can be kitted out in many ways. Honestly, it’s just fun to play! The soundtrack has got to be one of the best a game has ever had, even rivalling GTA5.

Sure it’s not perfect and I can imagine the gameplay loop may get repetitive for some but if you love explosions and want a game you can use to de-stress then this is it! This has already been promoted into my top 5 games ever! Buy it!
  16. Aug 14, 2019
    Game is fantastic if for no other reason than the art tool alone. Add in a super sassy main character and a whole mess of supporting characters. Sharp fast paced action and all the bells and whistles of a classic arcade space sim. Best game of the 2010's
  17. Aug 13, 2019
    this game is a perfect example of a 7.5/10 game. it is good in its niche and don't expect anything else from it. if you like space combat and elite style game mechanics, then this game is for you. if not, look elsewhere.
  18. Aug 13, 2019
    Great game with a dedicated team of developers. Scratched that freelancer itch. Has a mild learning curve that you will get used to in no time.
  19. Aug 13, 2019
    Attention, everybody!

Attention, everybody!

If you haven't caught Chris Roberts' space simulators in the early 90s, go past the game. And no, I'm not even talking about Freelancer. I'm talking about the Wing Commander series. Specifically, I'm talking about his spinoff - Privateer. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is an almost complete WC:P remaster. Remaster in good and bad sense. If you, like me, spent hundreds of hours in Privateer as a child, it will be a great nostalgic trip to the past for you. If you haven't caught that era of space games, RGO will be more of a museum piece for you. What you think is a bad gameplay design or a mistake - a tribute to the "old school".

The game has some control problems, but for those who know what they're paying for, it's not a problem.

A small view in the cockpit? It's the same as fog in a silent hill - a feature of many 3d games of those times. It allowed to reduce the rendering area and reduce the number of objects in the frame, which increased the number of FPS. And yes, the authors copied this detail for the sake of nostalgia.

Didn't find a vanilla tutorial in the game? The same reason.

Can't pass the first story mission? Because your starting ship is a pile of garbage literally. First, take missions at the station, carry loads, rob merchants - your progress in the game depends only on you, nobody will babysit you.

In general, if you haven't played Privateer, but want to know what were the space simulators of the golden era of this genre - play RGO. Why did I call that era golden? Because in the early 90s, the Wing Commander series was one of the most expensive, large-scale, and, most importantly, selling series in the industry, and its scale at that time can be compared to the Call of Duty series. Simply google the actors who starred for the numerous WC cutscenes.

My 10 points are for those who understand what it is. My 10 points are for developers who may have realized all the risks, but still released in 2019 a nostalgic trip to my childhood.
  20. Aug 14, 2019
    Do yourself a favor and grab a Xbox Controller for this!
    The game is SUPERB. I always wanted to get into Elite Dangerous and such but found it to hard and to much of a simulator. This is basically the opposite, it is more alike to an arcade game.
    And boy is it fun once you get your first ship upgrade!

Do yourself a favor again, and bind "target nearest enemy" to right thumb stick up.
  21. Aug 13, 2019
    RGO is a great game with an enjoyable and fairly intuitive combat system, great graphics and HUD design, and the best soundtrack I've ever see in a videogame. Seriously, the soundtrack perfectly sets the mood, no matter which of the 7 (SEVEN) in-game radio stations you're listening too. There's more than 24 hours of music, its insane.
  22. Aug 13, 2019
    Amazing game, Great Detail and just so fun to play. It's easy to lose yourself in all the detail and systems.
    Def look into it before deciding, A lot of the bad Re3veiws here are just Epic Store Bombing, It's a wonderful game
  23. Aug 13, 2019
    Great game, dont let EPIC haters fool you by skewing the reviews, greasy explosions well over 20+++hrs of great music. Reminds me of the old space sim days, theres even a few games 'asteroids' dice poker, pool. Nice greasy explosions, slight learning curve but the Devs made it simple, and took out Alot of grind that you see in games today. The game can be easier or much much harder if youGreat game, dont let EPIC haters fool you by skewing the reviews, greasy explosions well over 20+++hrs of great music. Reminds me of the old space sim days, theres even a few games 'asteroids' dice poker, pool. Nice greasy explosions, slight learning curve but the Devs made it simple, and took out Alot of grind that you see in games today. The game can be easier or much much harder if you want it to be. The dev's reccomend a controller, but there's HOTAS support, and for players who are new to space combat theres a lot of aids, and assists as well as an auto pursuit feature if you just want to jump in the game. OR choose the old school mode, starts with nothing and all asists off. I would like to see them make the contols layout easier to understand, but its nothing major, and everything works. The dev team is very dedicated, and is releasing minor patches , but ive just been having a blast with no issues. GTX1070 I5 6600k, 16gb ram. Expand
  24. Aug 16, 2019
    This game is designed to have simplified flight controls, so the 'hardcore" Player (Laughable term), who is looking for a Microsoft flight sim in space will be COMPLETELY disappointed. (If you want to use a HOTAs or something... see ya later)

This game is designed for a game-pad, and if you use a game-pad it's great. I have throttle as my mouse wheel, and all works great. This is

This is making Wing Commander Privateer or pick your late 90's space economic game and updating it, while keeping the look and feel decidedly of the throw-back time period. The Music is GREAT too, the voice acting I also enjoy, and I love the look and feel of the game.

The story starts off slow, as it should, and you can pick and choose what you want to do. Investigating every system, all points of interest, and making cash and learning the game takes some time, but it's enjoyable.

You have to be careful when you start off, you may take on missions you CANNOT win, and that's intended, you start off in a glorified space-tugboat... can't take out actual heavy fighters in it. DUH. You gotta grind up, just like in the good old games this is a homage to.

Getting into mining isn't something you look at right away, but it's also fun. This game is FUN. I've killed a lot of time on it so far and look forward to finishing with my work today so I can do a few more missions and check out 1 or 2 new systems.

This game will lend itself to amazing DLC's, MODS and expansions!
  25. Aug 16, 2019
    This game is an amazing tribute to the space games of old, improving on them in every aspect. The graphics are fantastic, the soundtrack has so much variation and the gameplay just feels right. (Played using a controller)
    I can wholeheartedly recommend this game to anyone who wants to get into space sims and even more to those who already are.
    The only thing thats bad about this game

The only thing thats bad about this game is that it is bound to the Epic Games Store, but that should not influence the score.
  26. Aug 16, 2019
    If you liked the first Rebel Galaxy then you should really like this one. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw expands on all of the things from the first game. You have way more freedom and a lot more to explore and do. The biggest difference is Outlaw is not 2D like the previous game, it also has several different modes to chose from. Normal,veteran and even sim which all change how flight works and itIf you liked the first Rebel Galaxy then you should really like this one. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw expands on all of the things from the first game. You have way more freedom and a lot more to explore and do. The biggest difference is Outlaw is not 2D like the previous game, it also has several different modes to chose from. Normal,veteran and even sim which all change how flight works and it decides what you start with. The combat is very fast paced which is very fun. The game is made to be played with controller but there are other options as well. I have been playing with controller and find it very enjoyable. The devs stated from the beginning that this isn't Elite or Star citizen, this is supposed to be a fun arcade space shooter. And it is very much so! On top of it the soundtrack is just awesome. So much good music to hear. They have also made it really easy to stream if you do that. There are options in the settings to only play licensed music so you don't get copyright dinged. There has been a lack of space shooters that are just fun, so hopefully this will scratch that itch for you. Expand
  27. Aug 14, 2019
    This is the best space game you're going to get this decade. Elite has been ultimately a disappointment, I won't get stared on Star Citizen, and it's left to the indie devs to keep the genre alive. This game is essentially a sequel to Privateer 30 years later. Every pixel of this game is a determined effort to recapture the aesthetics of the past, but carry the usability and scope of itThis is the best space game you're going to get this decade. Elite has been ultimately a disappointment, I won't get stared on Star Citizen, and it's left to the indie devs to keep the genre alive. This game is essentially a sequel to Privateer 30 years later. Every pixel of this game is a determined effort to recapture the aesthetics of the past, but carry the usability and scope of it into the present. When you fondly think back to how great the games of the 90s were, this is how you remember them, not nearly as clunky and pixelated as they truly were. 10/10 because they delivered above and beyond expectations, and everything here is their full list of intentions - there is nothing that didn't make it in, or got left half finished. This is a completed game, which we've mostly forgotten what that looks like. Modding support is coming. Go wild, community. Expand
  28. Aug 15, 2019
    This game is NOT a spacesim. Do not play this expecting Elite Dangerous 2. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a basically Privateer's successor, and mainly focusing on the fun factor of games. This is one of those games that focuses less on how realistic everything is, and much more on how fun it is. And this sure as hell is a lot of fun. From the hilariously timed comm messages to the huge assThis game is NOT a spacesim. Do not play this expecting Elite Dangerous 2. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a basically Privateer's successor, and mainly focusing on the fun factor of games. This is one of those games that focuses less on how realistic everything is, and much more on how fun it is. And this sure as hell is a lot of fun. From the hilariously timed comm messages to the huge ass explosions, the game is filled with things that just make you think "Hell Yeah".

This game has some really amazing customer service. It includes almost 24 hours of (pretty damn good) music, a CRAZY ship painting tool, and the fact that the game is only 25€ ($30) on launch.

Most of the issues in the game are technical issues. Mouse & keyboard is almost unplayable, but most controllers will do very well. But many issues may see fixing soon, as the game has some really, really good technical support. I reported a bug and within a couple hours a patch that fixed it was live.

Overall the game is one huge bang for the buck, buy this if you just want to have some fairly brainless fun. The story wont make you amazed, but the mostly care free combat will surely entertain.

(PS: Just the fact this game was made by five people is pretty amazing)
  29. Aug 17, 2019
    Worse from the first game a silly made arcadish type of game and unfinished you can tell from the poorly designed menus (even the graphic options are missing from inside the game you can only change them if you use the game launcher WTF !!). The plot is stupid typical B-movie stuff with space Rednecks and aliens and they all look like toys (even the spaceships look like toys inspired by aWorse from the first game a silly made arcadish type of game and unfinished you can tell from the poorly designed menus (even the graphic options are missing from inside the game you can only change them if you use the game launcher WTF !!). The plot is stupid typical B-movie stuff with space Rednecks and aliens and they all look like toys (even the spaceships look like toys inspired by a Kids tv show) completely forgettable story with meh characters. The graphics they are very cartoonish (Borderlands art style yuck !!!) nothing special to write about as for the controls they are confusing and badly remapped in the PC version you have to search the keyboard options menu to find how everything works and the mouse control during combat it's bad you have to use the autolock game system just to make the targeting easier LOL !!!. There is not even a Tutorial in this game and it's supposedly a 2019 title for god shake.. At the end it's just a poorly made arcade and nothing more than that don't waste money for this wait for something better Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2019
    First of, this game is not a 10/10. These 10/10 scores are complete delusion. I have played the game for 30 hours and it started to get old at about 15 hours. The story line is more of a chore than well crafted journey. The main character, a Female, is very boring and one dimensional. The combat is fast paced and good if you want a mind numbing experience that doesn't require a lot ofFirst of, this game is not a 10/10. These 10/10 scores are complete delusion. I have played the game for 30 hours and it started to get old at about 15 hours. The story line is more of a chore than well crafted journey. The main character, a Female, is very boring and one dimensional. The combat is fast paced and good if you want a mind numbing experience that doesn't require a lot of skill. You can ramp up the difficulty by turning off auto follow mode, which basically points your ship at the target to make it super easy to shoot the enemy ship.

Trading is very basic and at times frustrating. You can be good or bad depending on which missions you take and this will effect which stations you are allowed to land in. There are a lot of variations in enemy ships, but you only get to fly 5, but there are some hidden ships around, but the main 5 are ok but not great. For $30 its a decent game, but does get repetitive after 10 hours and doesn't expand this style of game in any direction. It's a clone of Freelancer(2003) and Privateer (1993), both of which had far better story lines and more atmosphere.

If you want a game that doesn't require much brain power of skill its good for the price, but no way is this game a 10, at most a 7 is being generous.

1. Aug 17, 2019
    Quotation forthcoming.
    For a game set in space, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is rich in atmosphere. While some activities are a bit of a letdown, there's a lot of gratification in cashing in a hefty profit from a lengthy space-truckin' session.
  3. Aug 15, 2019
    Rebel Galaxy Outlaw brings a smaller scope and simplified controls to a sometimes intimidating genre, watering down the grandeur of spaceflight, but making it more fun and accessible at the same time. Its repetitive missions and sparse narrative weigh it down, but its fantastically engaging dogfights make it an easy recommendation.