7.5

1. Oct 22, 2015
    Imagine they made a Firefly videogame, and that videogame was an unholy fusion of FTL, Mass Effect's space flight bits and the naval combat from AC: Black Flag.

I really like it, it's not particularly complex but it's fun to fly around trading, smuggling and fighting other ships. I can't vouch for story quality but if you want something inexpensive that you can get lost in for a while I fully recommend it.
  2. Nov 17, 2015
    Excellent for what it is. While it is clearly a budget game, to some extent, with a 2d movement plane mechanic, a limited selection of equipment, and a somewhat simple, but fun, Assassins Creed: Black Flag style ship combat system; the mechanics that the developers did choose to put in really do make the universe feel alive. You can trade, mine or fight and each one is a bit nuanced. ForExcellent for what it is. While it is clearly a budget game, to some extent, with a 2d movement plane mechanic, a limited selection of equipment, and a somewhat simple, but fun, Assassins Creed: Black Flag style ship combat system; the mechanics that the developers did choose to put in really do make the universe feel alive. You can trade, mine or fight and each one is a bit nuanced. For example, let's say you are bringing food to a station in famine: you can increase your profit by blowing up relief ships heading to the station (or not). You can negotiate your way out of fights by dropping cargo, bribe officials to smuggle illegal goodies out of a station. Worth a buy at full price. Expand
  3. Oct 24, 2015
    Rebel Galaxy is a very good game - that plays is very safe.

At its core - it is something like Age of Sails brought to space - more than something like Elite or Freelancer - in terms of game mechanics. However - almost every aspect of Freelancer can be found in Rebel Galaxy ... but improved upon - somewhat. Trading exists - and is kind of dynamic. Missions exist and are certainly
    Rebel Galaxy is a very good game - that plays is very safe.

Trading exists - and is kind of dynamic. Missions exist and are certainly more diverse than Freelancer or similar games - sometimes spanning over multiple star systems - each of those being pretty big by itself. A long list of upgrades for weapons, equipment and subsystem exists ... but its not the most exciting list - to be honest. And of course ... a small fleet of playable ships for the player to save up for.

Those ships offer a good list of diverse features and are not always a straight upgrade to a cheaper ship. - However.... in many cases they are. I doubt that the game can be beaten in a small and nimble ship - because those ships simply lack the firepower to scratch the big ships... which makes sense - but also forces the player into the big capital ships.

Ship combat is very good. As i said before - it is much more like Age of Sail (or insert any other pirate or sail combat games) ... with powerful broadsides, turrets and support weapons. Managing all those weaponsystems is VERY well done ... and despite the game offering autoaiming - a difficult combat feels like an achievement (and in some cases like cheating due to a sometimes incompetent AI)

Placement, angle and chance - to use a specific weapon at a specific time ... while positioning oneself just defensive enough not to take too much damage - and turn damaged sides away from harm is what combat is about.

Since combat happens on a 2d plane - game mechanics are of course easier than real 3d counterparts.

The only problem i do have with the game is the unadjustable camera. Especially larger ships seem to occupy just too much of the screen - with no option to zoom out.

Trade - as i mentioned - exists .. but at least at that stage that i am at ... is no real option. There is a lack of cargo haulers for the player ... and there interface does not quite support trade either.

Graphically - the game is quite nice. The ships are neat - but the meshes are not too detailed. the texture quality is well below average but hides it behind a somewhat overuse of shaders. Especially the corona effects (which can be turned off) makes the game appear in some crazy 80s drug infused dream of something.... (well, not that crazy ... but it is quite a colour trip)

Sound design can only be described as conservatively boring. Voice acting is a little stale - but then ... this is a space shooter... so the story kind of takes a back seat i guess.

The overall feeling of the game is quite nice though. It is simple - yet challenging. All parts of the game fit well together - and the game itself feels well polished (maybe due to good beta testers or so - i don t know... but it does feel very optimized)

With only few negative factors like a lack of proper information, bad camera and sometimes strange AI - this is a game to play for sure. Highly recommended ... just do not expect an action fueled shooter like Freelancer or Freespace.
  4. Oct 23, 2015
    This game is absolutely brilliant, the storyline is hilarious, the missions are fun, the environment sucks you into it. I love that everything is completely open world and its up to how you choose to play it, you can be whatever you want to be, e.g pirate, trader, a do-gooder, bounty hunter, etc. Your ship is totally upgradable in so many ways. I wasnt sure about the 2.5D plane becauseThis game is absolutely brilliant, the storyline is hilarious, the missions are fun, the environment sucks you into it. I love that everything is completely open world and its up to how you choose to play it, you can be whatever you want to be, e.g pirate, trader, a do-gooder, bounty hunter, etc. Your ship is totally upgradable in so many ways. I wasnt sure about the 2.5D plane because I am a bit of a space sim enthusiast (with my own HOTAS and everything) but it works so well, and I just take Rebel Galaxy for what it is which is a great action packed Space Arcade game. At $20 its a steal! 10/10 Expand
  5. Oct 24, 2015
    I've only played this for a few hours, and whilst it's not mind-blowing, it's still pretty good.

The Good: Good set of resolutions to launch with, can play it on my 1080 secondary display, or my 1600x900 pc display. Excellent graphics. Everything is really well pieced together, making good use of various light effects and shading, even the explosions are pretty neat. Uncomplicated

The Good:

Uncomplicated gameplay controls
    Challenging missions of varying degrees of difficulty so nobody misses out on the fun and progression is always possible at some point in the future if a mission is too hard.
    The music is pretty cool, and you can even set it up to use your own music, which I think was a neat addition to the game's settings.

The Bad:
    Arguably the main issue here is that of all the directions a vehicle capable of flight, terrestrial or space, is that it should be able to go up as well as down. Here we have a game that lets you go forward, left and right. That's about it. It really knackers the experience. This could probably be a decent offline contender for Elite if more effort were put into the obvious things like this. But they missed out on it.
    I have no idea why. It seems like everywhere you go, you're just traversing along a road that bends when you want to turn and goes straight when you want to go straight. It feels lacklustre, boring and could easily add to the challenge of getting from one place to the next, or even make the combat sequences more interesting.

Sometimes travel is a bit slow, even with boosting and warping - it will take patience and probably a lot of coffee sometimes to get through a fair amount of gameplay in this one. - although there are trainers that allow for 10x an increase in speed using warp - but that's not exactly playing the game as it was intended to be played.

That music can get a bit tedious. Thank the lord for the mute button.

Despite it's shortfalls, it's still a damn fine game that certainly looks pleasing to the eye when you get underway with it. Make the most of the graphic settings - they're easily played on mid-range PCs with half a decent graphics card, and it's smooth as a baby's bum when you're using an i5 or i7 processor too.
    It's worth getting, for sure.
  6. Dec 19, 2018
    Sometimes I just want a change of pace from the intensive micromanagement of the X-Superbox universe of games and enjoy something quick paced and instantly gratifying like Freelancer of old. Rebel galaxy sure does a good job of fitting that bill for sure. Freelancer the game meets Firefly the TV series set on a 2D combat plain in a 3D universe.
  7. Dec 1, 2015
    This is simply a fun, busy, shoot-y, explode-y upgrade of what Privateer wanted to be. Immense fun, with an excellent soundtrack that you can customize with your own mp3s. It's not a space combat sim, it's a gleeful brawl in 2.5-D space with Nazareth's "Hair of the Dog" screaming out of your speakers.
    It's what you'd get if Firefly and Star Wars had a baby in a spaghetti western.
  8. Nov 12, 2015
    Love this game, I must say the first 10 hours I played though I did not. That was because I tried to race through max all my weapons and bully and grind my way through that was not fun.

I restarted took my time planned how my character was going to be {played like a Pirate) and have absolutely loved this game. The developers did a great job with this game the first game I can remember hoping they release a bunch of DLC for it.

If you want a fun space sim this is it, it is really good from soundtrack to depth to gameplay, I dont really like the new dumbed down games that appeal to everyone but this one has enough meat on its bones to justify 20 bucks and 100 hours of gameplay, sit back and enjoy.
  9. Jan 21, 2016
    Perhaps not for everyone, but I certainly enjoy the perfect mix of Freelancer / Privateer and Firefly / Serenity. The soundtrack / atmosphere are awesome, and it's just so damn pick-up-and-playable, easy to enjoy space piracy and epic naval-style capital-ship battles. Pyrotechnics ahoy!
    *Gamepad strongly recommended*
  10. Nov 9, 2015
    Rebel Galaxy is a fun, arcade-y naval-game-in-space that provides some of the trappings of a space-sim while ditching the complexity and time-investment required of more traditional space sims like EVE Online or Elite:Dangerous. Those looking for a deeply engaging story aren't going to find one but the characters have tons of personality. The setting has a very lived in feel-just be readyRebel Galaxy is a fun, arcade-y naval-game-in-space that provides some of the trappings of a space-sim while ditching the complexity and time-investment required of more traditional space sims like EVE Online or Elite:Dangerous. Those looking for a deeply engaging story aren't going to find one but the characters have tons of personality. The setting has a very lived in feel-just be ready for the ending to be a bit of a let down.

The accent is on combat so expect to blow up a lot of ships if you're looking to be one of the galaxy's richest space truckers. Despite a few flaws this is an impressive first game from Double Damage Games. While a bit shallow the developers put a lot of heart into this and it shows. This would have been a solid deal even at $30 but at $20 it's way more than worth it.
  11. Feb 20, 2016
    Space battle and exploration at it's very best. Pirates and aliens fighting with the player in the middle. Add a bit of mining and the different upgrades for ships and you've got a very decent space game. Liked the sideways navy-like battles. Gave it a 9 for the ending and in anticipation of RG 2 which will get the 10.
  12. Oct 15, 2016
    A Firefly in a video game, if Firefly was more space combat oriented.

A Firefly in a video game, if Firefly was more space combat oriented.

Excellent space simulator with RPG elements, vast variation in both spaceships and their weapons, can fit all play-styles from slow well-armed destroyers to versatile frigates. Has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game - a combination of Classic Rock and Bluegrass. Only downside is players can move only in two dimensions while all the NPCs move in three.
  13. May 14, 2016
    A 2D space game? Really? Well that's what I thought, but honestly it works. Because do you really want a space shooter game that has realistic Newtonian physics? Can you imagine trying to play Kerbal Space Program (much as I love that too) and fire a solid salvo of plasma and ion canons at some random alien horde?... No?... I thought not. Its not high brow, but its f****g good fun.
  14. Aug 16, 2016
    I love this game, it fun, easy, with a good gameplay, huge universe, it's fun to be a space guy who travel to trading, mining, kicking ass with big space shift.

Simple and fun ! already spent 20 hours on it (i've played more rebel galaxy than no man sky)
  15. Jun 22, 2016
    Rebel Galaxy is a sandbox space sim from two of the guys who brought you Diablo, Hellgate: London, FATE, Mythos and Torchlight, Travis Baldree and Erich Schafer. After so many years working on isometric action-rpgs, the pair cooked up something a little different. Rebel Galaxy is a tale of space cowboys and pirates set on the fringes of known space. Your aunt Juno Markev has asked you toRebel Galaxy is a sandbox space sim from two of the guys who brought you Diablo, Hellgate: London, FATE, Mythos and Torchlight, Travis Baldree and Erich Schafer. After so many years working on isometric action-rpgs, the pair cooked up something a little different. Rebel Galaxy is a tale of space cowboys and pirates set on the fringes of known space. Your aunt Juno Markev has asked you to come out to her neck of the woods to help her out with something. And I'm not saying its aliens, but it is definitely aliens. The flavor of the setting has been compared several times to Firefly, and I'm inclined to agree. The ships are scratched up and very spartan in design, there are bandits, merchant caravans and lawmen, and combat is up close and personal, accompanied by a blusey hard rock soundtrack including Blues Saraceno's "Evil Ways". But Rebel Galaxy differs from many space sims you may have played before in two very big ways: one, the entire game is on a 2D plane. You steer your ship with the left stick and aim your guns with the right, which brings me to the second big part- your strongest guns are mounted on the sides of your ship, which I should add, is no mere snubfighter or freighter. No, you begin the game with a corvette, and purchase increasingly larger and better armed ships all the way up to a fearsome dreadnought. The biggest fights are close up, harrowing exchanges of cannon fire like you were in an old pirate movie, or more accurately, the Harlock series. And ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ is it fun. Some reviews I've read have knocked this 2d plane element, and I can understand where they're coming from, but I think it lends Rebel Galaxy a certain "space is an ocean" feel that only helps the overall premise. One particular reviewer said something along the lines of "it might as well be about truckers in a desert" which, upon reflection, would be a pretty badass game too. At any rate, you can also have a number of turreted weapons including ballistics, lasers and missiles, as well as a secondary weapon like auto-tracking missiles or fighter-disabling EMP flak guns, and you can designate auto-targeting priorities for your turrets so you can focus on firing your broadsides. You can hire a mercenary gunship to back you up, loot, buy and sell commodities at the station markets or with passing merchants, pirate said merchants or defend them from other raiders, take side missions, hunt for bounties and pirate lords, break blockades, mine asteroids, and join merchant or mercenary guilds. You can also outfit your ship with various specialized subsystems that allow you to, for example, accurately target incoming torpedoes or convert missile damage to your shield into more shield strength. Your actions affect your reputation with the citizenry, the militia, and various pirate factions, A series of story missions take you from one side of the sector to another, and each mission, main or side, is marked with its "risk level" allowing you to judge whether to take it on your take some time to upgrade your equipment first. In some ways, Rebel Galaxy is a bit barebones. I played it for almost 40 hours and enjoyed most of it, but you will see most of what the game has to offer after the first 5 or so. From that point on, its mostly about buying bigger ships, more guns, and fighting larger groups of enemies. The side missions, as in any other space sim, are stock "go here, shoot this, escort that, collect this" affairs that quickly begin to loop. Thankfully the combat never feels stale, and though you a lot of time early on in warp travel, you can buy faster warp drives as you progress, eventually rendering travel times completely non-annoying. The plot is not nearly as epic as say, Freelancer, but it serves its purpose. If you believe that any time spent grinding is time wasted, then Rebel Galaxy might not be for you, but if you see some grinding as a part of the experience, and enjoy space sims or shooters, Rebel Galaxy is worth your time, especially for the price. Expand
  16. Oct 3, 2019
    Good game!
    Travel by the universe smashing the enemies, trading and contemplating the scenario, it's quite relaxing.
    Please select your favorite songs on pre definitions, the experience is superb in that way.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 3, 2016
    Rebel Galaxy is an open world Freelancer-like with capital ship combat and a universe that looks more alive than it really is. The gameplay was fun enough, visuals good enough, audio epic and the story interesting enough to keep me well entertained for the duration. [Jan 2016]
  2. CD-Action
    Feb 4, 2016
    Bland story, repetitive quests and overall lack of depth made me feel like I was wasting my time. [01/2016, p.55]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Dec 3, 2015
    The galaxy may be a bit empty, but there's still a lot to love about Rebel Galaxy. [Dec 2015, p.64]