4.9

1. Sep 18, 2021
    I waited for so long the release of this game... I had such high hopes. Unfortunately the amazing visuals and compelling story are killed by a subpar videogame. Clunky movements, then you die and you are forced to go trough the cutscenes without skipping, I could go on and on. Such a wasted potential
  2. Sep 2, 2021
    After all those genres combined, i think that, Recompile, is mostly a narrative game after all. I found the story incredible interesting and well written. The gameplay is fun too, specially the platforming. The biggest problem for me was having to wait until i reach the bottom of the map every time i fall off; there are always large falls and become tedious quickly. But that was my onlyAfter all those genres combined, i think that, Recompile, is mostly a narrative game after all. I found the story incredible interesting and well written. The gameplay is fun too, specially the platforming. The biggest problem for me was having to wait until i reach the bottom of the map every time i fall off; there are always large falls and become tedious quickly. But that was my only problem tbh.
    The bosses are wonderful, the music fits the story in every scene and the controls are as responsive as they should be.
  3. Sep 3, 2021
    I really enjoyed the game. the music and the amtosphere are amazing. The story is really good too and ad more hour to the game if you want to discorver all of it.
  4. Dec 10, 2021
    It is a fine 3D platformer with a great, artistic concept of the setting and audiovisual design. The ambience is fantastic and calming. Level design in case of geometry was satisfying and traversing through mainframe was pleasant.
    Unfortunately there are a few flaws. Falling off a platform takes 6 to around 20 seconds before you die and respawn. Bosses were very similar and the difficulty of fighting them felt artificial. Puzzles were very simplistic. Working out the logic gates had great potential at first but next tasks of this sort weren't challenging. I also found writing of characters ridicilously made stupid for the sake of the plot.
    Other than that, it's a fine platformer. It has and does what you would expect from a 3D platformer, but it doesn't bring anything new to the genre or to gaming as a whole in terms of mechanics or storytelling. You could even say that there's small variety in new options in terms of travelling through levels. For me it is 6/10 but it has a potential to be a very good game.
  5. Dec 11, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game's graphics are an interesting take on the metroidvania genre for a 3D enviroment. HOWEVER it is set back due to the bad, blinding green and sometimes red lights.
    The lore itself is well paced and well built, but oh boy, the combat system.

I'm talking about a 3rd person POV going into a 1st POV, fps style, which you must slow down your walking. That's not the worst i've had. There are bosses in this is the part where the minor spoiler starts:

The fire launcher pyramid which you must dash was a total nightmare. Not only playing on PC makes your Shift button break apart and your computer thinks you have some hatred against this button for how many times you need to dash on this battle. You must dash to deal damage on the pyramid and break it's pieces. The problem lays on the hitboxes themselves: if i hit the pyramid straight into one of the sides, i'm killed for whatever reason it may be (even when it is vulnerable). If i'm dashing and trying to hit it, the flames come straight into my face as a hitkill for only starting the battle.

The battle system is frustrating to the point of making me not want to continue this game.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 17 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 11, 2021
    While I wanted to like Recompile thanks to the strength of its concept and visuals, it never managed to strike the right chords with me. Regardless of how sharp it looks, the experience is marred by weak metroidvania design and frustrating platforming that override the aesthetics. Players interested in this one would do well to watch Tron or track down the excellent first-person shooter Tron 2.0 instead.
    When you perform an inaccurate jump and fall to the void, you won’t be terminated until you reach the bottom, which means you can be free-falling for about ten seconds before the round concludes. However, these problems are secondary to the mixed, complicated emotions I experienced–from the pure joy and satisfaction when finishing a challenging area, to more complex and bitter thoughts about our humanity–and our efforts to be better. Hypervisor provokes conversations not only about our daily dependence on technology, our increasing levels of anxiety around it, or the isolation bubbles created through social media, but how our imminent future could be made even worse. Hopefully, we can change this trajectory before it’s too late–if it isn’t already too late.
  3. Sep 7, 2021
    The game does occasionally muster some remnant of satisfaction with the way its world and aesthetic is structured. But a case of artistic vision overwhelming implementation leaves Recompile with a muddled, at times horribly-frustrating sense of progression.