8.1

1. Dec 2, 2018
    Unique art style, interesting premise, and a clever main mechanic; but I didn't have a good time with the experience at all. Especially disappointing given my love of Pope's previous work, as well as detective games and sudoku.

I completed the game after about 8 hours, but forced myself through to the end. My primary issue with the game is that the majority of the time, playing through it felt like busy-work - on multiple occasions I'd deduced what was needed to find someone's identity/death, and from then on it was a matter of piecing it all together by traveling through various memories. This doesn't happen quickly, nor seamlessly. I feel like I wasted about 2 or 3 of my 8 hours purely in traversal in pursuing this busy-work, and found it extremely frustrating.

On a personal note, had I known it was a lovecraftian story going in I definitely wouldn't have played it at all, as that is not something I ever enjoy; but I can't fault the game for that, and arguably it was my fault for not having researched enough beforehand to know.

Regardless, I recognize why some people may love Obra Dinn; but I was extremely disappointed by the game.
  2. Dec 1, 2018
    This game might be worth a look for hardcore fans of maritime disaster epics, especially related to the age of sail. I found the interface difficult to master and the in-game help nearly nonexistent. It became quite a grind to find out 45 of the 60 fates, and not all of the problems are solvable. The ending was especially lame considering the work that went into a play-through. ReplayThis game might be worth a look for hardcore fans of maritime disaster epics, especially related to the age of sail. I found the interface difficult to master and the in-game help nearly nonexistent. It became quite a grind to find out 45 of the 60 fates, and not all of the problems are solvable. The ending was especially lame considering the work that went into a play-through. Replay potential is lacking. Expand
  3. Nov 7, 2018
    can't change the controls... unacceptable... can't play with the default ones.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 35 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Nov 14, 2019
    Lucas Pope is a genius and Return of the Obra Dinn is something truly exceptional. It’s a bit like sudoku – the only thing it needs from a player is logical thinking, therefore it can be recommended to anyone. [13/2018, p.50]
  2. Jan 15, 2019
    Sound design, music, and an inspired graphical style makes Return of the Obra Dinn an unsettling but satisfying exercise in deduction.
  3. Jan 4, 2019
    The Return of the Obra Dinn is a stunning work of craftsmanship. Pope, who handled every aspect of its production himself, has created a work that celebrates scrutinizing details.