7.4

1. Sep 20, 2022
    The announcement of a new Monkey Island from Ron Gilbert was the best news in the last 30 years.

Then the trailer came, and I knew they screwed up. The art style is terrible, it's a flash mobile game with terrible animations. This is how you ruin a legendary series. It's so sad.
  2. Sep 26, 2022
    I've never played the series and decided to start with this one since it was renowned and I'm familiar with point & click adventures (I've obviously watched a recap of the previous chapters).

The gameplay is pretty basic, I expected something more intrigate and mind-poking, but it may be because I chose the first difficulty option; perhaps veteran suited me more. Graphically it's

Graphically it's definitely not bad as many would swear. I'd have appreciated better animation tho.

I liked the writing, it was quirky, but the plot...
    Firstly I was expecting something longer, and more complex, and the ending was so disappointing. i read it was something the author reused to cope with the fact that he would never satisfy the expectations, so he simply bailed from trying. That's the overall vibe I'm getting for the entire game. It could have been much more, but something went wrong.
  3. Sep 24, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a hardcore monkey island fan and I'm saddened to say this game could be the worst of the series. For me it would be difficult to chose the best one in the first 3 games, but probably would be the 3rd, then the Telltale Game and finally, the 4th (most of the bad score would be the ending though), before this one came up.

Will say positive things first, the music it's just perfect, they never got this wrong. The game works smoothly, translations seems to be very good, gameplay has become simplier and works well, you can see still creativity in dialogues, puzzles...the puzzles are well done, they are not really hard, all the clues are there and well setup in dialogue with one sentence or one key word it's pretty well made.

I will be kinda neutral on the art, it's not really a favorite of mine, but got to say that works well in some places. What I dislike the most is the way the portrayed Guybrush, he looks ugly, and he never looked like that in any game, at most, dumb.

Now, the ugly would be the actual plot, I think I get they want to sell this is a story telled to a kid and the things he tells are not actually what happened, not accuratelly at least, or just straight made up, and with that they want to get away with it, not actually telling the Secret and other things, but to me, lands as an excuse at the end, bad writting. If you don't want to tell the Secret (let's face it, it's kind of impossible to find something great to satisfy people), just make up something else, like the other games. This is the only game that at the end amounts to nothing, there's no payoff for me. Every other game had an actual end to the story. Seems to me they want to reminiscent MI2, with the odd ending, but even there you got an ending that somewhat clearly tells you you were on a Lechuck spell or something. This game ends up with Guybrush finishing his story on a bench, looking a bit traumatized maybe, serious at least, maybe selling the vibe of a more serious and dark plot in his stories, that he does not tell his kid and that's why his stories end up weird (at least, MI2 and this game). I think I get that but again, seems lazy to me.

This game it's mostly hundreds of little puzzles chasing a macguffin, decorated all the time with huge nonsense, going to monkey island to find that the Secret is actually on Melee ¿? solving a lot of puzzles to get the macguffin, returning to Monkey Island and ending with a nonsensical bizarre ending in an amusing park, the secret being a T-shirt like MI1. It really adds nothing to the overall story. There's really nothing moving the story but the macguffin, they want the Secret because they want the Secret. In other games there was other plots moving the story, Elaine being kidnapped, Lechuck coming back to life, Elaine being cursed and Lechuck being a threat to all creating a massive army in his park, Lechuck becoming the leader of the 3 islands while you have to fight a legal battle somewhere, Lechuck becoming human.....There were many plots, in this game I just can say that they want to find the treasure and puzzles happen in the way.

Another thing I dislike a lot is Elaine in this game, she's a loving wife that's more like a pet than anything, it's not like the strong woman she is in other games. Maybe because it's a story for their kid she's portrayed as a loving mother? Regardless, she's only there to appear unexplicably a few times and move the plot forward nonsensically, like fabricating a ship, dealing with bad guys and rescuing everybody, a super mama maybe. In the game they sell you a plot about Elaine discovering that in Guybrush quest there's rampage going on, he's doing harm to people, and even sabotaging Elaine work a bit, I was expecting to have to face angry Elaine at some point, but no, it just end up in a dialogue with Elaine telling you the bads you've made, how she had to fix some of it and still being supportive and helping you, no payoff to that plotline.

Getting Gilbert back on track I was hoping to get a more serious tone and deep storytelling to be honest.

Finally, as a fan of all the games, I have to say that I liked it when I saw that they actually featured and recognize all of them, I feared they made a reboot going back to the 2nd, but in the end, they don't really do it because they take a few things of them, but forget many, or so it seems to me, I've tried to exhaust all dialogue options, but maybe miss a few. For example, they recognize Carla getting a public job thanks to Guybrush in MI4, and they say that's how she end up being mayor, but there seems to be no mention on Herman being Elaine grandfather, and how he end up losing the job and go crazy again, and with that, many more little examples.

I will end saying that I was also kind of dissapointed to not have real gameplay of swordfight, or something akin to it. I will always love the swordfight in MI3, best of all.
  4. Sep 25, 2022
    The puzzles are too easy and the game has been extremely simplified. There aren't any truly remarkable puzzles like the insult fights. It relies too much on nostalgia instead on being good.

The art style is bad, specially the faces and some backgrounds, but animations are even worse. They look like puppets with just a few joints. Backgrounds have very little animations on them. There are indie games made by one or two people with way better art and animations.

The ending is disappointing and feels rushed.

Come on! This is Monkey Island. People should be more demanding, and not settle for less just because of nostalgia. If this game wasn't a Monkey Island 2 sequel, everyone would have rated it lower.
  5. Sep 24, 2022
    ========
    only worth 15 dollar
    ========
    - 8-10 hours long.
    -vomiting characters design but loved environments.
    -meh puzzles.
    -happy they didnt ruin the music.
    -oh ending was pile of **** and disappointment ruined the franchise.
  6. Sep 24, 2022
    Disappointing.
    Don't expect a true Monkey Island 3. The writing doesn't compare to 1+2, the artstyle does not fit and the puzzles are really not as clever and challenging as Thimbleweed Park.
    Disappointing.
    I was hoping for a pirate adventure with goofy jokes and pop culture references. What I got was just another Monkey Island I didn't care for since at least Escape from Monkey Island with a lot of annoying self-references.
  7. Fuz
    Sep 28, 2022
    Disclaimer: The Secret of Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revenge are my all-time favourite games and they will never be topped. I love Ron's Gilbert, he's my favourite developer and I loved to death Thimbleweed Park.

I had a very bad feeling about Return after seeing that god-awful trailer. Worse than I thought. Much worse than I thought, since I was confident Gilbert's writing would have

I had a very bad feeling about Return after seeing that god-awful trailer.
    Worse than I thought. Much worse than I thought, since I was confident Gilbert's writing would have been top notch despite the art direction. I was wrong.
    The artstyle is adequate for what the game writing and story are. And I don't mean it in a nice way.
    Yeah, it's an absolute disaster visually, ugly with cheap flashlike skeletal animations everywhere. It's small, both in scope and in lenght - it has no breadth. It's empty. Just compare the islands in act IV with the islands in Monkey Island 2. There is no Caribbean to be found here. The puzzles are easy and not particularly well designed or interesting, some of them also have small hints on how to solve them (like seeing a blowfish while going down the anchor). They're just silly. The interface... well, I hate those barebone interfaces designed for tablets and little kids at their first P&C experience.
    And the writing. Oh my god.
    I said the art style is adequate... because it's a full fledged low tier nickelodeon cartoon. It's silly through and through. Forget On Stranger Tides. It's not a pirate story anymore, it's a cartoon. LeChuck - from a scary ghost pirate - became a caricature, Elaine is utterly destroyed, as is everyone else. Cartoon caricatures.
    And the writing. I don't even know where to start. Pretentious overall. I'm convinced that in 30 years Ron got sick of people asking him about Monkey Island (and a secret that never existed) and started to resent his creature. Now it's a meta story on growing old and the likes. I don't even feel bad about the ending like most people (I LOVED MI2 ending), but... AGAIN? Not that I was expecting anything different due to all the clues during the game.
    And where the hell their fixation for THE SECRET came out? They make it sounds like they didn't search for anything else since the beginning of the saga, while it was NEVER a thing.
    And why Chuckie and Guybrush aren't the ones playing, since MI2 was Guybrush's story? "Uh, no, it weren't them" yes, they were, clearly. We also saw his parents in the dream, and they were not strangers. They retconned A LOT and it sucks. Ron was hell-bent on NOT giving the fans what they wanted.
    Gilbert had no idea what to do with this game, scratched everything he planned and thought (his famous 17 points and "Guybrush goes to hell and Stan is there") and destroyed his creature.
    The music is also disappointing. I mean, it's good but... it's the bare minimum. They just basically gave an orchestration to the old tunes. And it's overdone and overcomplicated, in 1 year no one will remember those tunes, while we still perfectly remember every song in MI1 30 years later.
    A mention for Dominic Amato, who does an excellent job - still not my Guybrush voice and still doesn't sound like MI1-MI2 Guybrush should sound (too -again- cartoony), but he's GOOD at his job and he was obviously very committed to the part.
  8. Sep 25, 2022
    I really, really wanted to like this game.

The puzzles seemed a little easy with the new interface but I still think it could have been good. But so much of the game is just rehashing things in a less satisfying way. There's not enough Murray (which is from a game I thought didn't count "officially"). I don't care if the art style is different. It only matters if I like the style,
    I really, really wanted to like this game.

I don't care if the art style is different. It only matters if I like the style, not whether it's new or old. I didn't like this one but it still could have been a good game.

Ron Gilbert said Disney let him make the game he wanted. I only partially believe that. Disney's diversity quotas are in heavy effect. You see that the minute you walk into the Scumm bar. 2/3 of the pirates you talk to are female and 2/3 of the pirate leaders are female. Coincidence? Nah. It goes on throughout the game.

Finally, you get to the ending and it just sucks. What would be a better ending? ANYTHING. I don't care what the secret is. Commit to an ending. It's not that hard.
  9. Sep 25, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ron Gilbert said he wanted to make a pirate game. This game isn't one. The ending shows that.

The ending is terrible and shows that Gilbert doesn't care about the story. Instead, we get a load of bs philosophy about stories are "mainly the middle part, which is where the good stuff is" and they "change with time".

The original Monkey Island story doesn't change. Every time I play that game, it's great. Good stories don't change. You read them again because you enjoy them. A good story has a good ending.

This game isn't getting my money and I'm done with Gilbert games.
  10. Sep 29, 2022
    The game is a real crap. In addition to horrible graphics (I'm not surprised anymore) the story is terrible (there are too many moments where nothing makes sense). It's such a soulless game. Disney put his stamp just like in his last movies (Star Wars franchise and others). Absolute sadness
  11. Sep 25, 2022
    Gameplay & Puzzles: 7/10 Fun and clever, as always, but no sword/insult fight? No timed event?

Ending (s): 4/10 I preferred the endings of the others Monkey Island. This one felt like they were lacking time, and decided to somewhat copy one of the past ending.

Graphics: 2/10 It really felt like they skipped the corners. I was really disappointed by the general look.
  12. Sep 20, 2022
    The Return to Monkey Island captures the spirit of the original games. The fun and adventure can be felt throughout the entire game.

I’m glad they didn’t copy the pixel art of the first 2 games. While they were charming when they came out, they feel too retro and vintage now. This new art style fits the narrative and makes this game standout.
  13. Sep 20, 2022
    The game brings back the first-class point and click adventures! Many thanks to the entire development team!
  14. Sep 20, 2022
    First a little note to every person who comes to score badly the game because it is not Pixel art.
    IT´s TIME TO GROW UP babys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    IT´s TIME TO GROW UP babys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I am with a smile from ear to ear. A game made with all the love of the world. I waited for my whole life. I played the originals in their time and the only one that I liked after that was the Cure, 3. Then what followed that and those of Tell Tale did not like at all. As soon as this game starts at the 3 seconds of playing them, one feels immersed in that world 30 years ago. Same jokes itself.
    Thank you forever Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman and company. I never imagine feeling a 12 year old boy again.
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. Sep 25, 2022
    my humble opinion, the existence of this project is just as tasteless
    It's your call but for now it's not recommended.
    4/10 this game at that stag
  16. Sep 27, 2022
    So eye-hurtingly hideous that it's impossible to bear; so I can't even comment beyond that.
  17. Sep 30, 2022
    Tenía mucha incertidumbre por los comentarios que se leían al respecto sobre el diseño pero una vez que ya lo he jugado tengo que decir que fue injustamente etiquetado, el juego tienen un aspecto genial.

Sin embargo para mí eso es lo de menos, la grandeza de este juego es que he sentido que estaba disfrutando otra vez de un Monkey Island de verdad, disfrutando de cada momento de la historia, de las situaciones pintorescas y de los absurdos comentarios de Guybrush, tal cual como lo disfruté hace 30 años... Y eso ha sido un logro enorme para este juego y una alegría igual de grande para mí.
  18. Oct 3, 2022
    Very enjoyable game, hardly no frustrating elements. Great modern application of the old school point and click adventure.
    But: I think it's time for something new. Many locations and characters return once again.
    Somehow it misses some atmosphere.
  19. Sep 29, 2022
    A fun return to a much loved franchise. Largely enjoyed the new art style. Music and voice work is excellent, and the puzzles were suitable challenging. I had to ponder overnight on several of them and even used a hint early on (I wish I hadn’t - it was obvious!). I liked the ending, but it felt a little abrupt. All in all, a really enjoyable game.
  20. Oct 3, 2022
    Un juego sobre encontrar un tesoro, pero también sobre el paso del tiempo. Y en este sentido, en cierta manera, traspasa la pantalla para reflejarnos a nosotros mismos buscando algo que quizás no nos complete al final, pero si en el camino.
  21. Sep 20, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island perfectly captures the atmosphere, soundtrack and humor of the old games, and elevates the technical aspect to modern times. Sure, the graphic style is definitely a matter of taste, but it just works great at what it does. Thanks for bringing the series back after all these years!
  22. Sep 21, 2022
    Perfect game. Don't trust the haters and graphics kiddys. This game is charming and intelligent. It's a game worth any penny!
  23. Sep 21, 2022
    Genuinely can't believe how good this turned out to be. Nostalgia rarely works and usually disappoints but this felt like a warm hug from an old friend. And yet it's not living in the past, it recognises that things change over time, the nature of life. It's also actually funny and I'm pretty jaded when it comes to comedy these days.
  24. Sep 20, 2022
    To set expectations, if you were hoping this game would explain the cliffhanger in Tales of Monkey Island you will be disappointed.

It flows directly from the end of Lechuck's Revenge and while it didn't completely throw out the stories of everything after Monkey Island 2 they play little to no impact in the events of this game. The art style is divisive, it felt a bit jarring at times

The art style is divisive, it felt a bit jarring at times in the first Act but definitely feels more at home in the subsequent ones.

The puzzles overall are good, though even on the "hard mode" they're generally not too complicated.

My main complaint of the game is one you see in quite a few puzzle games these days, backtracking to previous areas over multiple acts (with one specific area needing 3 different visits over 3 acts).
  25. Sep 20, 2022
    Great Artstyle, funny as ever, really captures the essence of Monkey Island!
  26. Sep 20, 2022
    Putting aside the contentious choice of graphical style, Return To Monkey Island lacks a lot of the charm of the original games. Straight up failing to capture the essence of Monkey Island along with including a few scenes that seem to be Ron Gilbert upset that his creation outgrew him and throwing shade at his "fans". The game also features an overly simplified UI. Every item you canPutting aside the contentious choice of graphical style, Return To Monkey Island lacks a lot of the charm of the original games. Straight up failing to capture the essence of Monkey Island along with including a few scenes that seem to be Ron Gilbert upset that his creation outgrew him and throwing shade at his "fans". The game also features an overly simplified UI. Every item you can interact with boils down to a left click or right click option and as such, the puzzles, even on the harder difficulty are so easy even a games journalist could get through them. As for the ending, we already had this before Ron, when you fall back on this yet again, it loses most of its punch. Expand
  27. Sep 20, 2022
    I was 10 about years old when I play the first game back in ´91 and it has been my favorite game since then.
    Now, 30 years later I find myself reliving those times in more than one way.
    By introducing my kids to The Secret of Monkey Island and being overtaken myself by the thrill ride that is Return to Monkey Island.
    Thank you!
  28. Sep 27, 2022
    I don't really think there's anything about this game I don't like. It is an absolute master-piece when it comes to adventure game point-n-click. Every piece of the game intersects perfectly with the others making it a complete joy to play. From the music, to the art, animations, hint system, story, dialog. I love it all!
  29. Sep 25, 2022
    Can't digest that they turned the iconic monkey island to this low budget, generic corpo art, soulless game. I guess it caters to a modern audience but for us folks who grew up with MI this is a major letdown art wise, script wise, puzzle wise, world wise... 4/10 from me. Now excuse me while I go play the first three games again to forget this atrocity ever happened
  30. Sep 25, 2022
    I find this game initially a very charming and endearing story in which each character is a true individual. I had a lot of fun on this short but intense adventure.
  31. Sep 20, 2022
    This is not a pixel-art Monkey Island, this is not the 90s anymore but this is pure Monkey Island essence to the core. It's feels good to have it back and to be as good as it was then. No matter how hard the haters try.
  32. Sep 21, 2022
    Guybrush makes a solid return with writing comparable to that of earlier games in the series. Through unique writing, it manages to make all former games canon, yet directly follow the events in Monkey Island 2.

The interface gets out of the way for the adventure like never before and the new graphics are now more dynamic and expressive in terms of facial expressions. The to-do list

The to-do list is a great addition that I have missed in all adventure games!

I have a hard time finding any serious faults with this game. It is evident Ron Gilbert is the father of adventure games and that he is pouring his decades of experience in game design into this.
  33. Sep 21, 2022
    The atrocious art style is making my eyes bleed and the gameplay is pretty meh. The dialogue and puzzles are severely lacking the charm and wittiness of earlier installments, and otherwise all I have really been doing during my playtime is revisiting locales and talking to characters that we already know. From what I have seen, RTMI is more of a reimagining of Monkey Island, than a newThe atrocious art style is making my eyes bleed and the gameplay is pretty meh. The dialogue and puzzles are severely lacking the charm and wittiness of earlier installments, and otherwise all I have really been doing during my playtime is revisiting locales and talking to characters that we already know. From what I have seen, RTMI is more of a reimagining of Monkey Island, than a new game.

The developers are creatively bankrupt. Stay away, Monkey Island fans.
  34. Sep 21, 2022
    I don't really get the hype, but then again I didn't play the original games. It seems like an average adventure game to me owing a lot to the nostalgia. After playing Brok the investigator which released recently or Unavowed from Wadjet eye I see the rift, if anything it doesn't have the tons of choices and narrative content these games have and this leaves a sour taste. Oh and theI don't really get the hype, but then again I didn't play the original games. It seems like an average adventure game to me owing a lot to the nostalgia. After playing Brok the investigator which released recently or Unavowed from Wadjet eye I see the rift, if anything it doesn't have the tons of choices and narrative content these games have and this leaves a sour taste. Oh and the animation is really low budget and lazy.
    Play it only if you're a fan of the series, otherwise there are much better modern adventure games out there.
  35. Sep 20, 2022
    Not even closer the epicness of the past titles... i'm sorry, but for me is a big NO.
  36. Sep 22, 2022
    Graphics: 4/10 Very poor like watching a cheap cartoon show this looks almost worse from previous games. There are no details, it's full of low polygon animations
    Gameplay: 7/10 Puzzles felt ok for being hard mode altho I haven't played it in casual mode so can't measure it.
    Story.: 3/10: Just MEH nothing memorable i expected more from the way the story was being told. It left me with a weird sense of disappointment and tiredness.
  37. Sep 20, 2022
    Probably in comparison to some of the previous writers, I actually played the game. And I have to say that despite my initial scepticism about the graphics, I liked it very much. It would have got 10 points from me if it had been a pixel look adventure game in the style of Monkey Island 2 or a comic adventure game like Curse of Monkey Island.

Giving the game 0 points is just childish.

Giving the game 0 points is just childish. I'm sorry to say that.
  38. Sep 21, 2022
    This game is everything I wanted going back to Melee Island and more. You will hear complains about the art not being on par with the one in the MI1 and MI2 and the CoMI but don't let them fool you: this game looks and feels amazing. Once I saw the first videos I was doubting myself about the animations and movement of the characters but once I was the one in control of Guybrush, thatThis game is everything I wanted going back to Melee Island and more. You will hear complains about the art not being on par with the one in the MI1 and MI2 and the CoMI but don't let them fool you: this game looks and feels amazing. Once I saw the first videos I was doubting myself about the animations and movement of the characters but once I was the one in control of Guybrush, that doubt walked the plank and never came back.

The interface is simple, yes, but that doesn't changes the gameplay, if only it makes it more enjoyable and fresh. You are not the same person as you were 30 years ago, why does the game need to be the same as 30 years ago?

It took me around 11 hours to beat the game, checking the hint book a couple of times when I was a bit stuck on things the game could do a better job explaining or highlighting but overall it feel like a fair challenge. And there's more for you to go back into the game and explore some more: achievements for solving puzzles in a creative way, trivia cards that test your Monkey knowledge and endless dialogue options, each of them so funny that you want to try them all.
  39. Sep 21, 2022
    Dejando de banda la nostalgia de la saga de monkey island, 20 años de espera para este juego? No gracias. Me explico:

Si me dijeran que este juego esta hecho por una empresa diferente, la cual ha querido retomar una saga clásica y que no tiene nada que ver con la franquicia, me lo creería, pero la realidad es que duele más saber que SI ha sido hecho por sus propios creadores (a excepción de Tim Schaffer, por suerte).

En Monkey Island 2 (MI2 en adelante) tuvo un gran final de juego, dejando abierto al jugador, pero permitiendo que la saga pudiera retomarse en un futuro con otra aventura o bien terminando poniéndole punto y final a la de MI2.

El final de este juego es decepcionante cuanto menos (me lo pasé en dificultad difícil sin usar libro de pistas en 8,5-9horas) y deja muchos cabos sueltos, no tiene ninguna historia que permita ser vinculada o resuelta con MI2, simplemente las cosas parecen metidas con calzador para así no tener que contar una historia más.

En cuanto al precio de juego, que decir por 10€ me lo hubiese comprado igual, pero n oes un precio para este (aunque me pudo la nostalgia), además me da la sensación como si fuera un port de otra plataforma (o pensado inicialmente para esta) ademas de, dar la sensación de ser un refrito de MI2, que podrían haber puesto antes del titulo Return to monkey island, REMAKE de Monkey Island 2 y lo aceptaba.

En fin, quitando de banda mi opinión, si jugaste a los anteriores juega a este, aunque bien es cierto, que la nostalgia no es la misma y te deja un sabor agridulce.

Buen gaming y buen provecho de escorbutifarras! Arrrrr
  40. Sep 25, 2022
    big disappointment the return to monkey island, don't waste your money on this cash grab attempt
  41. Sep 20, 2022
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a trainwreck. Nevermind the horrible, corporate infographic art style. Nevermind the cheap, tweened Adobe-Flash-like animations. The entire game is apparently attempting to pander to the 'old fans' crowd by being chock full of references to the previous installments and revisiting old locations, while at the same time engaging in on-the-nose moves like enforcing a jarring diversification of the cast and introducing an ending that's much akin to the one in MI2, only this time it's even more of a "haha, none of it mattered" kind of thing. A damn shame, after all this time spent waiting for this. I really thought Gilbert and Grossman could do better. Expand
  42. Sep 21, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is a true return to glory for the series.

I am so impressed with what they have done with this new entry in the Monkey Island series that just oozes charm from start to finish. This 7 hour nostalgia fest is chock full of character cameo's, humour, brilliant writing and zany situations that the series is best known and loved for. This game has some of the best
    Return to Monkey Island is a true return to glory for the series.

This 7 hour nostalgia fest is chock full of character cameo's, humour, brilliant writing and zany situations that the series is best known and loved for. This game has some of the best music and voice acting of any game released in 2022. Some veterans of point and click gaming aren't going to like the controversial decision to take the series in a new art direction, with the corporate infographic style visual aethetics. What I would say, is don't write this one off just for the trailer visuals and give it a shot. Personally, this is a true return to form for the series. Once you get stuck in, the game looks visually amazing, and the canted and often exaggerated art style really suits the gameplay. Playing the game, I can understand why they made this choice, and it really serves to fill the gap between the second and third game, with visuals more akin to the art style of Broken Age.

Overall, this is a game with a lot of heart, and is certainly one of the best games I have played of 20202. Do not sleep on this one! 10/10, pure joy from start to finish.
  43. Sep 20, 2022
    Excellent game with gorgeous lush visuals. Love it. Thank you team, Ron and Dave.
  44. Sep 21, 2022
    Be still my childhood heart! This is what I hoped for! Even though, like many, I was slightly sceptical about the art style, I knew the writing team led by Ron G. would be able to deliver another swashbuckling adventure that wouldn't disappoint. Art is only a fraction of the game itself after all. Playing the actual game quelled my scepticism. First off, it plays GREAT. Everything movesBe still my childhood heart! This is what I hoped for! Even though, like many, I was slightly sceptical about the art style, I knew the writing team led by Ron G. would be able to deliver another swashbuckling adventure that wouldn't disappoint. Art is only a fraction of the game itself after all. Playing the actual game quelled my scepticism. First off, it plays GREAT. Everything moves smoothly and quickly and the art style makes a helluva lot more sense now!

Is the art perfect? No. But how can it ever be after 30+ years of game development history. Is the writing perfect? No. But we all have expectations and biases after 30+ years about how it SHOULD be. How close are we, though, to a Monkey Island sequel that will live on in our mighty pirate hearts for the next 30+ years? We are already there, my friends.
  45. Sep 23, 2022
    Oldschool great game with a lot of humour.
    Love the world of pirates and how the characters expand during the story.
  46. Sep 27, 2022
    I have been a fan of Monkey Island since the first game, and I loved all of them including the non-Ron Gilbert ones. Monkey Island was the game that got me into point and click adventures, but very few other adventure games match the quality and humour of Monkey Island. I was initially a bit hesitant about the odd choice of art style, but I was so distracted by the the sharp, witty andI have been a fan of Monkey Island since the first game, and I loved all of them including the non-Ron Gilbert ones. Monkey Island was the game that got me into point and click adventures, but very few other adventure games match the quality and humour of Monkey Island. I was initially a bit hesitant about the odd choice of art style, but I was so distracted by the the sharp, witty and excellent writing that the art style ended up not bothering me. I was so sure of this game I pre-ordered it on Steam before release, and I'm glad I did. A masterpiece... Expand
  47. Oct 4, 2022
    Art style is bad. Maybe it looks cool and modern to whoever designed it, but what I see is a tasteless ugly mess. It's not a remaster - the original game looks nothing like that and not because of a different technology from back of the days, but it had own style which is now completely gone.
  48. Sep 28, 2022
    Its an ok enough game from an puzzle standpoint but the ending is terrible and they made Guybrush into an cruel ****
  49. Sep 28, 2022
    Very good point and click adventure. It is not as deep as MI2, but still very enjoyable. The graphic isn't bad at all, you get used to it just after a couple of mins of gameplay. Music is perfect: it give a nice touch to every location in the game.
  50. Sep 20, 2022
    Just finished it. Wonderful game, really solid humor, written with a much more adult sensibility than its predecessors. It doesn't rely on in-jokes and gratuitous nostalgia. The finale will undoubtedly puzzle someone but it's a real love letter to the old school fans. The puzzles are all logical and the interface feels modern without being constrictive. The artstyle doesn't follow theJust finished it. Wonderful game, really solid humor, written with a much more adult sensibility than its predecessors. It doesn't rely on in-jokes and gratuitous nostalgia. The finale will undoubtedly puzzle someone but it's a real love letter to the old school fans. The puzzles are all logical and the interface feels modern without being constrictive. The artstyle doesn't follow the trends and I'm quite pleased that they didn't go for the retro-look, it would have been superfluously retro. The voices are stellar and so is the score, the punchlines are delivered with a dry wit that really fit the characters. The only thing that subtracts a bit is the length and challenge. With such logical solutions to the puzzles any experienced gamer will fly through the game in less than 10 hours and that is listening to every line of dialogue. But still for a smidge over 20$ is undoubtedly great value nonetheless. Expand
  51. Sep 23, 2022
    The artsyle is bad so I'm giving it a zero. I don't care about the rest of the game.
  52. Sep 24, 2022
    Excellent atmosphere, voice acting, humor and such a joyous way to Return to Monkey Island! Love the new and old characters, the puzzles are awesome (even if simplified IMO). Check it out, well done to all the team who worked on this gem of an adventure game! :)
  53. Sep 21, 2022
    Echoing the sentiment of the critics, this game is a delight and brimming with personality and the sort of humour that separated Monkey Island from the other franchises
  54. Sep 25, 2022
    It does not suck. Does it reach the peak of its predecessor games? maybe. It is a good game and worth to buy. Play the originals first though.
  55. Sep 25, 2022
    Funny and fun game, I wanted to play it with my kids but they weren’t interested
  56. Sep 24, 2022
    I played the game and 3 h in, I was already loving it. I wrote my review on steam , at that point I was still not into the new graphics, but after playing it for a bit more I have to say I really like them. The writing is fantastic as usual on this games, really lovable characters, nice hilarious situations. I really hope this is just the first of some games from this team. I enjoyed it a lot.
  57. Sep 21, 2022
    What an amazing point & click adventure.
    It is funny, smart, colorful and the music... superb!
    The characters, the story, the riddles - all well written and balanced.
    And the game looks great.
    10/10.
    If you love adventures games - It's a no brainer.
  58. Sep 21, 2022
    just perfect, I love the art style, the story, and the voices!!, new and old good characters!! don't know why so much hate, 100% amazing game
  59. Sep 22, 2022
    Return to form for Monkey Island and one of the best point and click adventure games. Starts off simple but gets better by the 4th chapter when the game opens up into a more open world with a wider choice of options. Music and voice acting are superb and I'm glad they got the original cast back. The art is different, better than the 3D games, though the remastered versions of classics areReturn to form for Monkey Island and one of the best point and click adventure games. Starts off simple but gets better by the 4th chapter when the game opens up into a more open world with a wider choice of options. Music and voice acting are superb and I'm glad they got the original cast back. The art is different, better than the 3D games, though the remastered versions of classics are hard to beat. The dialog is where the game shines, the humour on par with the originals. Bringing back Murray from Curse was a genius move, along with Elaine, LeChuck, Wally and the Voodoo lady, the cast of characters was perfect. I'm on the last chapter so I don't know yet how it ends, genuine sense of anticipation for an ending 30 years in the making. Expand
  60. Sep 20, 2022
    Why Windows 10 only? Release a patch for Windows 7!!!
    Why Windows 10 only? Release a patch for Windows 7!!!
  61. Sep 21, 2022
    It is so sad to see my beloved Monkey Island become a mobile game. The art style is so bad it's unbelievable... what were they thinking? Cheap, lazy flash animation and horrible art direction... This is a disgrace.
  62. Sep 27, 2022
    Thank you Ron Gilbert for this game. It's a fun and engaging sequel. For most of the time it captures the spirit of previous games, with fun story and silly puzzles, cool presentation and great sound. But it feels too much controlled by outside forces presumably, and also every now and then seams a bit empty and unfocused. That's why it's only 8. But overall it's a good experience.
  63. Sep 26, 2022
    An excellent game ! Just finish in Normal mode (12 hours). Not too easy, not too hard. Good story.
  64. Sep 27, 2022
    a Monkey Island. With all the essence and spirit from the originals. Fun adventure, lots of details from the originals but not full of useless fan-service. Just perfect.
    Graphics are beautiful, with a LOT of personality. And it looks waaaaay better in movement.
  65. Sep 20, 2022
    Superb return to form in a hilarious, beautiful and emotional adventure.
    Will treasure this experience!! Thanks Ron
  66. Sep 24, 2022
    Oh, how lovely it is! The art style makes it so alive. The puzzles are so balanced! The story unfolds so smoothly! And it is a TRUE Monkey Island! Amazing?
  67. Sep 25, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is a game in which you can see the care and love put into it by its creators. It also offers a good story, which knows how to appeal to the nostalgia of the old players of the series without this being its central element.

Regardless of whether the choice of its graphic style has been successful or not, I have no doubt that over the years it will become a cult work just like its predecessors.

Full review in Spanish: https://pcgamia.com/analisis/analisis-return-to-monkey-island/
  68. Sep 22, 2022
    great game. i love the visual style. it's like in the old lucasfilm days. a worthy successor.
  69. Sep 24, 2022
    I had fun playing Return to Monkey Island, but overall would rank it 7.5/10 overall, similar to other recent games by the old LucasArts veterans like Broken Age and Thimbleweed Park. The interface is excellent, the visuals are great and the writing sharp. And, at 10 hours in length, the game is good value for money. I was left wanting more, though. Some old faces felt either underused orI had fun playing Return to Monkey Island, but overall would rank it 7.5/10 overall, similar to other recent games by the old LucasArts veterans like Broken Age and Thimbleweed Park. The interface is excellent, the visuals are great and the writing sharp. And, at 10 hours in length, the game is good value for money. I was left wanting more, though. Some old faces felt either underused or underdeveloped (especially the return of 'Plunder Bunny'), some puzzles were a little light, and the ending was an anti-climax. I hope there'll be more additions to the series and I enjoyed this, but it falls short of classic. Expand
  70. Sep 21, 2022
    The best sequel one could hope for. The visual style is perfect to support the game's mood. Really well realized and full of hilarious details. The control system has been improved. And the story and the characters remain in line with the quality of the first two episodes. Wow!
  71. Sep 21, 2022
    El pepino que todos queríamos introducirnos por el recto, excepto haters, empleados de prensa y gente que nunca comprará un juego de forma legal. 10/10
    The cucumber that we all wanted to stick up the rectum, except haters, press employees and people who will never buy a game legally. 10/10
  72. Sep 21, 2022
    Le daría un 10 de no ser por el apartado Artístico, en especial el diseño de personajes...(en especial al de Guybrush), fuera de eso, un juego excelente que me lleva de nuevo a la mejor aventura gráfica de todos los tiempos.
  73. Sep 22, 2022
    Great puzzles, is faithful to the early secret of monkey island games. A few puzzles are rough and have poorly explained elements but I didn't choose hard mode for an easy ride. overall I'm very happy with it and the ending left me feeling how the Devs meant for me to feel
  74. Sep 21, 2022
    It's a great experience for those who grew up with the original point n' clickers. As a modern game, it's still pretty decent. Nothing about it really sticks out to me except for the nostalgia of the original games. Unfortunately, the difficulty is dumbed down for this new generation of gaming. Hours were dedicated to trying to find the craziest path to your objective, and now you're givenIt's a great experience for those who grew up with the original point n' clickers. As a modern game, it's still pretty decent. Nothing about it really sticks out to me except for the nostalgia of the original games. Unfortunately, the difficulty is dumbed down for this new generation of gaming. Hours were dedicated to trying to find the craziest path to your objective, and now you're given a hint book that can be too enticing to read through from time to time. The comedy is still pretty on point if you know the originals, finding that perfect balance of nostalgia and new. You'll get your fill here if you're a fan of the first two Monkey Island games. I just don't think much else will. Expand
  75. Sep 22, 2022
    Amazing game and a good comeback to this franchise, everything in return to monkey island is 10/10 clever puzzles, great gameplay and good story like always from the hand of Ron Gilbert i hope we can see more Point and Click games like this one
  76. Sep 23, 2022
    It is great to be back. All feels so familiar, yet, a fresh story and good, mostly logical (within that world) riddles. I did not like the graphic in the first screenshots I saw, but playing it, that art style feels just right. When the game was first announced I was excited, then rather worried, because creating a worthy successor seemed practically impossible, but in the end the game wasIt is great to be back. All feels so familiar, yet, a fresh story and good, mostly logical (within that world) riddles. I did not like the graphic in the first screenshots I saw, but playing it, that art style feels just right. When the game was first announced I was excited, then rather worried, because creating a worthy successor seemed practically impossible, but in the end the game was so much more than I expected. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 41 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 4, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is a fantastic addition to the series and a great game in its own right. If you’re a Guybrush Threepwood fan or want to revisit the high point of adventures past and present, you owe it to yourself to come back to Monkey Island.
  2. Oct 3, 2022
    I believe that Return to Monkey Island will become a remarkably personal game for many of the people who play it. For those who have grown up with the series, Return illustrates what it’s like to reflect on your youth and try to find a new purpose in a world that has moved on. For those who are new, it could provide them with an excellent entry point into a brand-new genre of video game. Return is not just a return to form for the series and a celebration of everything that made it great; it’s also an outstanding example of a genre that paved the way for almost every deep narrative experience in video games today.
  3. Oct 3, 2022
    Return to Monkey Island is a competent nostalgia-filled ride for loyal fans.