7.2

1. Oct 17, 2020
    Cool rougelike game, catchy design. Suggested!

This is a great twist on the usual card-roguelite game. Every choice feels important and card combos are really interesting.
    the art and Atmosphere of the game is also excellent
  2. srx
    May 2, 2021
    A unique take on the roguelike deckbuilder genre, but it's not only very repetitive, but also terribly luck-heavy to a point that it's just unfun most of the times. However, it does show promise and with more content and balance tweaks when it comes to "dungeon" generation, I can see it being a banger.
  3. Oct 8, 2021
    I have a lot of experience in other card-based roguelikes like Slay The Spire, and for a while I felt like this game would be a great alternative. There are a ton of elements to this game that I really enjoy, but after playing about 20 or 30 runs now I have to say that there is just too much volatility, especially in the endgame, and it leads to runs where I've made hundreds of goodI have a lot of experience in other card-based roguelikes like Slay The Spire, and for a while I felt like this game would be a great alternative. There are a ton of elements to this game that I really enjoy, but after playing about 20 or 30 runs now I have to say that there is just too much volatility, especially in the endgame, and it leads to runs where I've made hundreds of good decisions ending because of a single misclick, which is just aggravating and not very fun to play around. I enjoy playing games with a lot of risk, but this game takes it way too far and makes it unconscionably easy to die in an instant to something that wasn't even obviously a threat. Expand
  4. Mar 1, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ring of Pain is a linear survival card game with 16+ levels.

Gameplay

We can either move left or right, sometimes teleport to a different position, pass cards, try to sneak past enemies or attack them. There are plenty of stat cards, healthy potions, random rewards, chests and various strong enemies. New levels have stronger enemies and ultimately lead into a boss battle.

Replay value

Each run is unique as we build our deck of cards, increase our stats and gain some special abilities.

The game also offers daily challenges that have special rules.

Graphics

Cards look very distinctive, move positions in the ring, they can transform, explode or evolve.

There is a symbol above them what action they will do next and below, there are stats.

We will unlock new cards everytime we discover them in the treasures or at the traders, there are also various exits.

Similar to Slay the Spire.

Music

It is very subtle and mostly focuses on sound effects.

How many hours
    It's possible to finish it from start to boss ending in an hour but as a newcomer there will be some unexplored parts and getting used to game mechanics takes a while. Moreover, we need to play carefully, build up for the finale with the best possible card combinations.

Difficulty
    Hard. Tricky. It is different from game to game, some can last almost till the end without struggle, some end up being too short because the placement of enemy cards makes it painful to stay in the level.

Verdict

It's an interesting spin to card games, giving players freedom of choice, forcing them to make well thought-out decisions when overwhelmed by strong opponents.

I've only been half successful as I have unlocked the majority of items but only beat one of the bosses.

It's got great replay value and despite not offering direct progression, it feels rewarding after a long run.
  5. Nov 7, 2021
    This game has a fun central card-battler mechanic and art style, but the gameplay design is way off, as many critics and gamer reviewers have noted here. It feels more based on luck than strategy, and is too punishing and brutally tough to be fun for long. I sometimes wonder if game devs, especially solo, lose perspective on difficulty and the importance of tutorialisation duringThis game has a fun central card-battler mechanic and art style, but the gameplay design is way off, as many critics and gamer reviewers have noted here. It feels more based on luck than strategy, and is too punishing and brutally tough to be fun for long. I sometimes wonder if game devs, especially solo, lose perspective on difficulty and the importance of tutorialisation during development… feels like the case here. I hope it gets tweaked based on all the reviews and feedback - it’s *almost* really good. But something just isn’t clicking. Expand
  6. Oct 31, 2021
    Really good, if you like a challenge and don't mind randomly dying due to the luck based system. You really have to play for a good couple of hours and unlock more powerful cards before the game reaches its full potential.

When I first started playing this game immediate comparisons were to Slay the Spire however, whilst on the surface it seems similar, the games are not that much alike. Ring of Pain has a grittier, darker aesthetic and plays a bit differently. I have put in about 20-30 hours of the game and still have not managed to beat it as the later dungeon levels are quite difficult. The biggest negative is that some runs are impossible, this is due to the game relying heavily on luck. This means that if you draw 3 powerful enemy cards in a row it is highly likely that you will die and have no alternative way of working around it.

That said, runs can be quick so not the end of the world if you die and there are a lot of cards to unlock the longer you play. These unlocks make the game a bit easier, giving you more powerful loot. All round if you like deck-building roguelike games then definitely worth playing.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 9 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 28, 2020
    Ring of Pain shows creativity and promise, but all to little depth to carry those qualities through. The choices presented by the game are interesting in principle, but in practice your success or failure are determined by luck more than anything else. The result is a game defined by repetition, which struggles to justify the time it asks of you. That said, for a minor price and a fun few runs, you could do far worse as a distraction.
  2. Oct 28, 2020
    Ring of Pain is interesting and enjoyable in ways that can keep you enthralled despite doing almost the exact same thing for hours. The quick runs are really nice for just jumping in and having a few goes rather than oversaturating yourself with this world. It nails the creepy aesthetic from the art and sound design right down to the way it plays. It can make you feel a bit unsettled no matter what stage of the game you're at and how confident you're feeling. Ring of Pain swings between frustration and satisfaction but thankfully leans heavily to the latter most of the time. It's a delightfully disturbing mix of roguelike and card game genres that's worth stumbling in the darkness to discover.
  3. Oct 20, 2020
    All in all, Ring of Pain is a different enough take on the card game genre that it’s definitely going to be a good time. While not perfect, it has enough lurking in its depths to keep you thinking “Okay, well just one more run!”