7.8

1. Dec 14, 2013
    I really like Asteroids and Cosmic Rift type games (top down space shooters) and this one does a lot of things well but has a number faults to its name. Without going into detail I'll say the game is pretty heavily single player campaign driven (it has a very inactive or dead multiplayer) and the single player campaign felt a little tedious and not rewarding to me. Reading or skipping aI really like Asteroids and Cosmic Rift type games (top down space shooters) and this one does a lot of things well but has a number faults to its name. Without going into detail I'll say the game is pretty heavily single player campaign driven (it has a very inactive or dead multiplayer) and the single player campaign felt a little tedious and not rewarding to me. Reading or skipping a bunch of dialogue text, then off to the next waypoint to kill or pick something up. I can't really motivate myself to get through it.

As you play you unlock a bunch of stuff and money, and the ability to research new stuff. All of this you can use on different ships to customize them. Sounds all very cool but it didn't feel very intuitive. When I went in there I didn't really know whats what, or whats better than the other 20 upgrades I have. When I did take my customized ship out for a spin it was 10 times worse then the default one provided for me so that was a little disappointing.

I never really felt like I was improving my ship or accomplishing anything as I went through the campaign. Also, give me reverse thrusters please. Navigating in a 0 gravity environment when you can only thrust forward is a pain.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 5 Critic Reviews

1. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 24, 2014
    If you can come to grips with the controls and the rather unhelpful upgrading UI, Ring Runner can be a very rewarding experience. [March 2014, p.59]
  2. Jan 28, 2014
    Ring Runner is fun, different and challenging – but unfortunately it lacks a little accessibility.
  3. Jan 27, 2014
    Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages is inspiring both for its unique concept and for being a great example of what can come from a successful Kickstarter campaign.