6.7

1. Aug 2, 2011
    While I liked the ideas in Runespell, I never felt the gameplay executed very well. Attack points for specific card hands feel unbalanced, and the system requiring you to buy special moves feels wrong. Quite frankly, after an hour of playing I was bored and wanting to quit. Wanted to like this one, but sadly not really.
  2. Nov 26, 2011
    It took me five hours to finish this very uneven game. While the concept is intriguing the game suffers from two major problems. The first is that the game is unbalanced at times probably because the AI is poor. The monsters sometimes have much better cards and much more health points than you and even if you play well it's really is just a crap shoot. There is no real strategy to the cardIt took me five hours to finish this very uneven game. While the concept is intriguing the game suffers from two major problems. The first is that the game is unbalanced at times probably because the AI is poor. The monsters sometimes have much better cards and much more health points than you and even if you play well it's really is just a crap shoot. There is no real strategy to the card game and on the whole it just feels entirely too random to me. The second is that the story that strings these card games together is below average. It would have helped a lot if there had been voice overs. Anything to help bring the stale story to life. On the positive side the programming was good as I encountered no bugs and the graphics seemed quite relevant to the game. This is an OK game if you are looking for something that is a change of pace from your normal hack n slash. I didn't feel like I had wasted my time to play it to the end but I won't be playing it again, either. Expand
  3. May 4, 2012
    The core gameplay of Runespell is essentially a weird combination of poker solitaire and a trading card game. In each fight, you face the AI opponent in a card game where the goal is to take the other player's health to 0. You create poker hands from a solitaire style board, which can be used as attacks against enemies. The better the hand, the more damage the attack deals. Also, youThe core gameplay of Runespell is essentially a weird combination of poker solitaire and a trading card game. In each fight, you face the AI opponent in a card game where the goal is to take the other player's health to 0. You create poker hands from a solitaire style board, which can be used as attacks against enemies. The better the hand, the more damage the attack deals. Also, you can play cards from your sideboard, which have various effects such as dealing damage, blocking damage, or giving you extra actions on the current turn. While not as deep as either poker, or a typical trading card game, I still found it to be oddly addictive and fun. The card game is wrapped in an RPG story, which isn't particularly interesting. The dialog is painfully bad, and the story and quests are just an excuse to run you around the map fighting things. The artwork in the game does look really nice. The epic score almost seems like overkill for this game, but it's quite good. Overall, it's a neat little game, even if it doesn't quite reach its potential, and I applaud the developers for trying something different. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. PC PowerPlay
    Oct 3, 2011
    Overture deals a winning hand with this gem, delivering addictive gameplay in spades. [Nov 2011, p.52]
  2. Sep 16, 2011
    With the introduction of the new and entertaining game mechanic called Mythic Poker, Runespell: Overture becomes quite an interesting little game. You fight your way through medieval England and battle both Vikings and powerful creatures from mythology.
  3. Aug 15, 2011
    Runespell: Overture is good for an hour or two, the size of the demo conveniently enough, but beyond that, there's just not enough there to warrant spending the additional time playing it.