6.8

1. Oct 16, 2014
    I understand all the bad reviews regarding this game. It is very very linear, shallow combat, and repetitive combat ( and the glance of microtransactions gives me the creeps )
    Reviews are subjective matter.
    First of all, I am a big fan of movie 300 and Spartacus tv Show, so it is natural that i find this game desirable. From the moment it started, when i saw the first scene i knew
    Reviews are subjective matter.
    From the moment it started, when i saw the first scene i knew that i would like it.
    Graphics as expected are sky high when the game comes form Crytek. Production is very very rich, level design in aesthetic not so much in functional way is astonishing throughout the whole game. Atmosphere is very rich and sound and acting are incredible. Very immersing experience. In moment when commander Vitallion comes to Marius and says that hi will provide him a lot of cinematic slow-mo combo that produces a lot of blood and gore and tones of dead barbarians behind him, i knew that i would be a true Roman ;))
    Another thing are animations and armor phyzics while Marius is moving and lip sync is incredible.
    Now i know that all those pluses that i mention are regarding the form not the matter, but that combat was not so bad after all, reviewers were too harsh, than every now and then it breaks the pace with formations and managing scorpions and giving orders to archers.
    I found story interesting enough, even if predictive I was thrilled.
    And to mention , this gorgeous game ran on my gtx 770 2 gb without supersampling almost all the time in 60fps while preety ugly ( comparing to this )The Evil Within gives me the hick ups.
    I give this game 9/10
  2. rev
    Oct 23, 2014
    Graphics and voice are amazing, combat is well done. The game is repetitive, yes, but also short enough for the repetition not to become a bore. Two evenings well spent.
  3. Oct 16, 2014
    The game looks Fantastic and i do not know why so many people think the combat is so bad, QTE is weird at first but you get used to it. The combat is satisfying and brutal to me. Not sure why they still used colors for the Xbox Buttons on the PC version though.i guess for anyone using a Xbox controller on their PC its fine. But without one it may be confusing for some to remember whatThe game looks Fantastic and i do not know why so many people think the combat is so bad, QTE is weird at first but you get used to it. The combat is satisfying and brutal to me. Not sure why they still used colors for the Xbox Buttons on the PC version though.i guess for anyone using a Xbox controller on their PC its fine. But without one it may be confusing for some to remember what button on the keyboard is for what color.

If you think QTE is repetitive, well you can say the same for any Hack and Slash game out there, or any shooter where you are just mowing down stuff all day with guns. People using the repetitive excuse in these reviews are just lazy reviewers repeating the critics main grips. At least make your own observations people.
  4. Oct 22, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome amazes with stunning graphics, but the pace of the game and its length doesn't allow a player to enjoy it.

First of all, you have to realize that most negative scores are based on the fact that the game is extremely short. I finished it in 2 evenings - so I played for 6 hours maybe. If you take the price of the game and its length then the score is quite reasonable. My review, however, focuses only on gameplay and it's AWESOME! If you like the times of ancient Rome and slicing your opponents this is the game for you. I love actions games and taking a break from BF4 to play such a gem was really nice. Let's be honest, there isn't any other game where you could be a Roman soldier apart from i.e. Total War, which is a different genre. It puzzles me however, why the game is so short, why you can't walk (you almost always run), why you can't kill silently and why the creators didn't develop it further. Because of that, it seems as if the product was not finished. They could have gone so much further, because the world of ancient Rome they created is beautiful. I will never forget the feeling I had when I first saw Colosseum - absolutely stunning! Unfortunately, you don't get much chance to admire the views because everything happens too fast. Also, slicing your opponents becomes boring quite quickly. A player has no choice over his actions and there is no stealth option whatsoever.

All in all, Crytek created a beautiful game, which is definitely too short. If they developed it further, created alternative choices of events, enabled stealth kills, using tactics and an open world it would be 10/10 for me. (Personally, I would like to see all the elements from Shadow of Mordor combined in Ryse - then it would be perfect.)
  5. Oct 21, 2014
    Great graphics. Good plot. Good characters. Great animations. Great combat but it gets a bit repetitive but it is so great looking that you would still look at those animations a thousand times. For a sequel we would need more variation in combat without ruining the great feedback and power of each blow and more enemies 3d models.
  6. Oct 25, 2014
    Well, though mostly dislike it, I personally think it's quite a good game...especially the graphics..the control a bit confusing though, but this game has a good campaign overall..
    i guess if the developer make it more serious like they did with Crysis, it would boom and loved even more.
  7. Nov 25, 2014
    It's a game with stunning graphical quality, I can Play it with Nvidia 650M with Normal Quality graphic and High Texture Quality, and what got is an impressive XOne looking game in my weak laptop, and it's playable . It's a game which voice acting and video dialogue impressed me the most. It's a kind of game that I am looking for; a Roman epic war action game. Hope there's more of thisIt's a game with stunning graphical quality, I can Play it with Nvidia 650M with Normal Quality graphic and High Texture Quality, and what got is an impressive XOne looking game in my weak laptop, and it's playable . It's a game which voice acting and video dialogue impressed me the most. It's a kind of game that I am looking for; a Roman epic war action game. Hope there's more of this games

but,
    Though I really like the combat system, yes it's lacking originality of combat, but it's still good, but It's repetitive game play really wears me off. A game that offers it's players different pace will surely be a Win. And that's what this game didn't have. I was hoping this game would feature a camp or base or whatever where you can manage your equipment and choose a region that you are hoping to seize.

But in the End, it's just an action game that plays one way story that doesn't offer much decision making that actually affect the outcome at some stage of the game.

I applaud the story, think It Is good for Roman setting game, and quite epic at that. I don't get the impression of so-called god of war wannabe and 300, It's purely a Roman story that topped with very few mythical stuff. That's what I like in this game.

And thank the developers that this game can be beaten in just half a day, so we don't have to endure the repetitive yet focus consuming game play too long to reveal the Great Story.
  8. Jan 16, 2016
    Points based review:

STORY: Intro - 7.6 | Midsection Progress - 4.2 | Protagonists - 3.8 | Ending - 8.1 | Storytelling - 4.3
    GAMEPLAY: Main Activities - 8.4 | Gameplay Variety - 4.4 | Fun - 6.2 | Genre Rating: 8.6
    GAMEWORLD/DESIGN: 5.2
    TECHNOLOGY: Graphics - 9.8 | Audio: 9.0
    OVERALL RATING: 6.7

6.7 = 7
  9. Dec 14, 2014
    Ryse it's a perfect example of bad game design. There's so much things going right that you are almost temped to ignore what the game does bad. But then it becomes impossible to do so, since the mechanics just keep on getting in the way and spoiling the good stuff. The graphics are simple amazing, not only by the polygon count and shining armours, but because adding to that you have anRyse it's a perfect example of bad game design. There's so much things going right that you are almost temped to ignore what the game does bad. But then it becomes impossible to do so, since the mechanics just keep on getting in the way and spoiling the good stuff. The graphics are simple amazing, not only by the polygon count and shining armours, but because adding to that you have an amazing level of attention given to detail. Animations are very good and facial animations are as close to perfection as they can be. And the story, while not ground breaking, is good enough and well structured. The acting is also surprisingly good. But forget if you think you'll be given time to enjoy any of this, because by some obscure reason the developers though it would be important to constantly push you forward and even when it's not the game it self that is pushing you it is the context it self that pushes you at the cost of breaking immersion for not doing so. And the disastrous rhythm makes damage everywhere. Level design it's not perfect, just OK, but add to it the constant rush and you will be hitting walls, stands and everything around you trying to meet the urgency the game ask of you.

The much criticised combat system falls in the same mistakes. But let me just point one thing. If you listen someone saying this is just a button masher, you can for sure know that that person never played the game. The combat has some complexity and it offers enough diversity to keep it challenging and diverse. But... again the game ruins it with the rhythm that imposes. Plus some tweaks would in did be good. A midway between this and Dark Souls, with the needed lower pace, would push this game to a whole new level.

Ryse it's an OK game. It lacks in many aspects and excels in some. Sadly the bad is so bad that it annihilates the good. This is a prime example of a game made without passion and heart. A game that tries so hard to offer entertainment that ends up leading you to a general feeling of boredom and indifference.
  10. Oct 14, 2014
    Ryse:Son of Rome is a repetitive hack & slasher wrapped in a gorgeous setting. It is fast paced. Straight forward linear game play with a simple story. Sure one might argue the game falls short in various regards. But for what it is, it delivers well. Similar to a blockbuster movie it doesn't hurt to just get on with it and enjoy a piece of entertainment for what it is.

After the first

After the first few levels you have seen every mechanic there is to discover in this game anyway. And the longer the game goes the more you feel like a passenger, a means to an end for the game to play out in front of you. You are being reduced at many points to just hit one of two buttons at the right time for the animation in front of you to play on. At that point the game might as well play itself. Almost out of worry you as a player could be in the way of how this story needs to unfold.

It looks great. It has great animations. Good cut sequences. But it is so very simple and repetitive.
    I say good for a rainy Sunday when you feel the itch to just play something without really having to invest in much.
  11. Oct 26, 2014
    What the f**k is wrong with people? And critics? GTFOoH! Seriously! This IS a great game. Sure, it has its ups and downs, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. Pretty short, yes, but at least it doesn't have a moment of dullness. Storywise it's also good enough, Not the greatest, but good enough. Graphics is gorgeous, really, sometimes even breathtaking. Though the gameplay and combat system couldWhat the f**k is wrong with people? And critics? GTFOoH! Seriously! This IS a great game. Sure, it has its ups and downs, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. Pretty short, yes, but at least it doesn't have a moment of dullness. Storywise it's also good enough, Not the greatest, but good enough. Graphics is gorgeous, really, sometimes even breathtaking. Though the gameplay and combat system could use some polish, it is very fluid and enjoyable, fits the setting and story.
    If you like the Roman setting, a pinch of mythology, intense, satisfying close combat and good story, don't hesitate, GET THIS!
  12. Oct 12, 2014
    Sadly, this game hides bad gameplay design behind nice graphical design. But how good is a nice looking game when it is boring as hell and offers absolutely nothing but repetitive fighting. If at least it would have memorable characters or a story that sucks you in. Very sad that the developer spent so much work on the visual aspect of the game but gave it no soul. Could have been great.Sadly, this game hides bad gameplay design behind nice graphical design. But how good is a nice looking game when it is boring as hell and offers absolutely nothing but repetitive fighting. If at least it would have memorable characters or a story that sucks you in. Very sad that the developer spent so much work on the visual aspect of the game but gave it no soul. Could have been great. Only one positive thing to mention (visuals) makes one point. Expand
  13. Oct 24, 2014
    Love it. Has the right difficulty, great cut scenes, most beautiful graphics, and a very good story. I loved the fight, it was a little bit repetitive, but i could not get bored of it.
  14. Dec 19, 2014
    it looked like a movie more than a video game. i don't recommend it for anyone. fighting system is boring, but some cinematic was good. your gonna enjoy it if you like gladiator movies! graphics are good but not in every chapter.
  15. Oct 11, 2014
    Another Xbox One timed exclusive makes its way to PC and once again; it is a game that lacks any real substance or depth. There are much better titles out there for a lot less money.

Ryse does look fantastic but the combat is extremely repetitive, shallow and tiresome in time. The story is reasonable but the gameplay is desperately lacking and linear. It feels like this game was designed more as a technology showcase for the Xbox One as opposed to delivering an engrossing title on a grand scale.

On the XB1, Ryse was an welcome game for many thanks largely to a lack of titles available on the system but for PC gamers; it's nothing more than an average hack and slash. At a price of £34.99, this is far too expensive to justify a purchase now and even at a dramatically lower cost down the line; I'd still struggle to justify paying money as there is always a better title out there on the Steam Store.

With Shadow of Mordor already out and games like Dragon Age: Inquisition and AC Unity on the horizon; Ryse will sink to the genre abyss, so save your money for these or something else.
  16. Oct 14, 2014
    A hack and slash game with a superb story. The game play is linear so it doesn't offer much for replayability. There is a lot of cut scenes so you will feel like you are watching a movie while playing a game. I would recommend waiting until the game is discounted as it's not worth the full price.
  17. Oct 13, 2014
    Now I have bad headaches and I stopped playing this game. The intense shaking of the my virtual hero has provided me that. Mindless animations, thousands similar looking attackers, permanently identical text passages about honor and Rome raises this computer game to the most boring game which I have bought for a long time. My 4 points are for wonderful to amazing scenarios, the high degreeNow I have bad headaches and I stopped playing this game. The intense shaking of the my virtual hero has provided me that. Mindless animations, thousands similar looking attackers, permanently identical text passages about honor and Rome raises this computer game to the most boring game which I have bought for a long time. My 4 points are for wonderful to amazing scenarios, the high degree of details and light effects. I feel sorry for the programmers who have created this wonderful atmosphere for this game. the landscape and equipment programmers have really given close to everything possible, the rest is not worth roughly his salary. Whoever likes monotonous processes doesn't prefer any excellent action and would like to strike on final opponents for hours, he may buy "Ryse, son of Rome". All the others should save the money because better games soon will come out. Expand
  18. Oct 14, 2014
    A visually sumptuous game. Showcasing what graphics can look like if that is the only aspect that you concentrate on, which unfortunately they did.A shallow game with basica fight mechanics. However a very rewarding experience and a short play through. Will take around 10hrs to complete. All action gameplay, which there is a market for, but I think PC gamers want more. Pick up and playA visually sumptuous game. Showcasing what graphics can look like if that is the only aspect that you concentrate on, which unfortunately they did.A shallow game with basica fight mechanics. However a very rewarding experience and a short play through. Will take around 10hrs to complete. All action gameplay, which there is a market for, but I think PC gamers want more. Pick up and play carnage is only fun for so long and they capture that length well. The game benefits immensely from the locations and themes in this game. A few interesting twists and a good story. Worth a play through. It has the feel of an Uncharted game. A rollercoaster that lets you ride the tracks, you may fall out but you hop right back in where you left it. Expand
  19. Oct 13, 2014
    Totally mediocre game, stunning graphic, basic game play and combat, no combos to pull up, even the story is kinda meh... It was good for one and a half day, but that's it only the engine is memorable.
  20. Oct 13, 2014
    I give it a score of 9 out of 10

What can one say about such a game? It a lot like a movie and that what ya get is nothing short of amazing, from the stellar music, good ol classic story of revenge with great characters, good fighting system "though not the best" and above all some of the best graphics ever seen to date. I knew this game would have some bugs at first and that's why i
    I give it a score of 9 out of 10

What can one say about such a game? It a lot like a movie and that what ya
    I knew this game would have some bugs at first and that's why i didn't buy it on day one.
    Saw that there were some issues and it looks like the devs got right on it so that made believe in it.
  21. Oct 15, 2014
    awesome graphics! brutal gore! great story! BUT! press X to win! wtf! figth system is very "low". nevertheless interesting to play. dialogues are short, simple, but it's only for the better. finish the game with pleasure now playing arena. 10 severed feet of 10: D
  22. Nov 3, 2014
    1) For today the game is optimized like a trash. 2) Combat system is pretty stupid, because: a) the started combo can be done without players involvement and all that you lose is a combo multiplier - i don't care about multiplier, but care about beautiful combos..., b) boring combos, c) limited combos. 3) Lost my interest for now. We'll see if they can still fix it - pending....
  23. Oct 15, 2014
    For an action game, Son of Rome is not on the top of the list: you have just a few combos, one set of weapons, control is a bit clanky and not as responsive as it should, and the auto-aim awful mechanics will make you mad.

But despite all of this, it is still a pretty funny experience. The graphics are impossible to improve and surprisingly well optimized, character animations achieved with motion capture are a delight to watch and the art direction recreates an spectacularly beautiful ancient Rome. The hard difficulty mode is pretty chalenging and I liked to call it "the realist mode" because you can get killed with just 2-3 hits of a sword.

The story is pretty entertaining too, the characters have a lot of personality and the voice acting is excellent. Although some people complained about the length of the game, I felt it was just fine.

Finally, the multiplayer in a game like this is always welcomed!

If you are a fan of action games, probably you want to wait for this to reduce its price. If you like Roman odysseys and want to have a good, although not unforgettable experience, then you won't be disappointed.
  24. Oct 23, 2014
    Pros:Graphics,Ending,story
    Cons:gameplay battle system

This is the best game of crytek ever made.....................................................
  25. Nov 1, 2014
    I enjoyed this game a lot. I have heard a lot complains of fighting system, but in my opinion it is close to the perfect. Since it is Roman soldier with sword and shield he can't do much more what he already does in this game. Story and graphics are amazing and gameplay is good. Campaign is too short and there is none re-play value. I would suggest to buy this on sale, but not for full price.
  26. Jun 21, 2015
    I Love this game . People which critic this game so hard perhaps havent finished it . If more i play this game then more i love it . Its something differrent than positive criticed games
  27. Oct 10, 2014
    Yes the game is repetitive, but the story is surprisingly good and it is a technical masterpiece which really shows what the Xbox One and PC can do graphically. I enjoyed the game for the story.
  28. Oct 13, 2014
    I like this game because it's Crytek. Because here cinematic graphics, medieval Rome and there are no elves. But it seemed short game. Probably because it was interesting.
    Don't die, Crytek.
  29. Oct 11, 2014
    Love this game, something different from usual FPS and 3rd person game. Most games have same/similar story and can be boring. People do say that Ryse is repetitive but are not all the other games repetitive? E.G shooting enemies in different maps. People are annoyed because of short campaign but like all of the crytek games have short campaigns.
  30. Oct 13, 2014
    What I don't like is when game is getting bashed for being repetitive...

WHAT GAME ISN'T? GTA, Assasin, Max, Oblivion...any game out there is REPETITIVE!!! Difference is - what game makes it feel great. Well, this game sure does. Visuals are superb in all manner - from pure techical detail to visual style and art in general! Audio is excellent. Gameplay, yes...it is
    What I don't like is when game is getting bashed for being repetitive...

WHAT GAME ISN'T?

GTA, Assasin, Max, Oblivion...any game out there is REPETITIVE!!!

Difference is - what game makes it feel great.

Well, this game sure does.

Audio is excellent.

Gameplay, yes...it is repetitive...but then it feels so great and it is intuitive and overwhelming.

Action and story is on par with every blockbuster out there.

ONLY thing that could be better, in my opinion, is skill trees and execution upgrade. Feels kinda irrelevant.

Oh yes, and "on the fly" booster selection is awesome gimmick.

ALL IN ALL.

This is a great title that deserves much more credit.

Especially when some hyped titles get great scores they do not deserve.

This is a good step forward in gaming history!
  31. Oct 10, 2014
    It's Ok. The combat is fluid, the controlls solid. The game looks amazing, and it's well optimized. The Story is too much God of War, too little 300. The Co-Op is good for a few hours,but not much longer. It may seem like I'm not being very specific in this review, and, well, that's because it's hard to. It's just a VERY mediocre game that could've been more,but it just...well...isn't.It's Ok. The combat is fluid, the controlls solid. The game looks amazing, and it's well optimized. The Story is too much God of War, too little 300. The Co-Op is good for a few hours,but not much longer. It may seem like I'm not being very specific in this review, and, well, that's because it's hard to. It's just a VERY mediocre game that could've been more,but it just...well...isn't. I'll call this one a miss. Pick it up on sale for $15 in December, play it for 8-9 hours, forget about it, and go back to watching Gladiator or 300 if you want a solid Roman Warrior Fantasy. Expand
  32. Nov 14, 2014
    I guess if there was actually a game here I would be justified giving it higher than a 0. This game suffers from what I like to call "Crysis Syndrome", it looks really pretty but there is no game to be found. If I wanted to look at something for enjoyment I would go see a movie. Don't buy this "game" unless you don't like interaction and you just want to watch a story unfold without youI guess if there was actually a game here I would be justified giving it higher than a 0. This game suffers from what I like to call "Crysis Syndrome", it looks really pretty but there is no game to be found. If I wanted to look at something for enjoyment I would go see a movie. Don't buy this "game" unless you don't like interaction and you just want to watch a story unfold without you and when you do have control the game will hold your hand through it and treat you like an idiot. Expand
  33. Nov 22, 2014
    Went into this game with high hopes, and will say the graphics are very nice, but the game play is very dull. You basically go through 95% of this game pressing shield bash, slash, slash, repeat.. on everything you fight in the whole game. With an occasional need to dodge an incoming enemy attack. An hour into this game and I was already bored with the combat mechanics and it didn't reallyWent into this game with high hopes, and will say the graphics are very nice, but the game play is very dull. You basically go through 95% of this game pressing shield bash, slash, slash, repeat.. on everything you fight in the whole game. With an occasional need to dodge an incoming enemy attack. An hour into this game and I was already bored with the combat mechanics and it didn't really improve from there. Then I noticed my progress.. 11% completion, already?

Every enemy in the game seems to be recycled over and over again, sometimes you are even fighting 2 or 3 guys simultaneously that are just clones. Its extremely linear as well, so there is really no exploration to this, you're just kind of pushed through the hall completing tasks the way they want you to.

This game would be best experienced as a rental, as you will most likely do, and see everything it has to offer in 1 or 2 days.
  34. Nov 12, 2015
    Story is great and unexpected.

Graphics are WOW

Gameplay is Fun and Cool .
  35. Oct 12, 2014
    God of War wannabe, with poor game mechanics, it only exists on PC because it already bombed on the XBone. Quick cash grab, without any depth or original ideas. They even didn't bother with a decent story, instead the mashed together some ideas from Gladiator the movie and some historic inaccurate **** into a an headache inducing mess. Don not buy it.
  36. Oct 12, 2014
    Amazing game, loved it from start to end. Great action, great story, great graphics, alot of playtime and I would love a second part. Been wanting this game since it came for XBox, it is totaly worth a try.
  37. Dec 6, 2014
    RYSE Son of Rome is just another shining example of "why we cannot TRUST professional reviews"!

that said, the game actually DOES look great on PC! it's like all professional publications say/write, it looks quite gorgeous. BUT, I remember a time - and it is not as long ago as one might believe - when graphic quality alone asured a game a rating in the 60-70 range! to be honest, I

to be honest, I really wish this game had more to offer... I wish it had ANYTHING to offer, but after completing the game about 50%, there has not, unfortunately.

10 years ago, RYSE Son of Rome would have gotten reviews in the range between 40-50 - as it deserves.
    but, nowadays, you can put in nicely crafted models and textures and get away with a rating between 60 and 79(!).

it's really disgraceful! not the game alone...well, that too, but I meant the developers not putting a second thought into everything GAMEPLAY!
    that, and, OF COURSE, lacking honesty from all major publications and critics.

then again, after seeing how the professional critics PRAISED "Bioshock Infinite" as a "masterpiece", slapping their 100/100 ratings on it, blinding even consumers into repeating all their marketing garbage, I should have understood that all a game needs nowadays are decent graphics, a fine promotion team behind it and LOTS OF MONEY TO PAY SAID CRITICS for their "professional opinion".
    see, that's how "Ryse: Son of Rome" has gotten it's 60-79 reviews, instead of those 40-50 points reviews it actually deserves!
  38. Oct 20, 2014
    It really pains me to write this review. It was a great (maybe the best) looking game, and the combat system is difficult to master when playing on hard. I enjoyed it. However, they committed the unforgivable sin of not being able to skip cut scenes and as with all other games that do this, they have ruined the game with this choice. I keep hitting a cutscene and having to press ALT+F4It really pains me to write this review. It was a great (maybe the best) looking game, and the combat system is difficult to master when playing on hard. I enjoyed it. However, they committed the unforgivable sin of not being able to skip cut scenes and as with all other games that do this, they have ruined the game with this choice. I keep hitting a cutscene and having to press ALT+F4 because I simply cannot be bothered with the cut scene and powerless to skip it. Why do this??????. Expand
  39. Nov 1, 2014
    This is without a doubt the most beautiful game ever made. And not only beautiful, but detailed, animated and presented. Everything is dynamic, lighting is awesome, level design and architecture are perfect work of art. Running the game maxed out on a GTX970 is pure orgasm. The gameplay is admittedly simple, but still thigh and reactive. The shield wall formation portions are something newThis is without a doubt the most beautiful game ever made. And not only beautiful, but detailed, animated and presented. Everything is dynamic, lighting is awesome, level design and architecture are perfect work of art. Running the game maxed out on a GTX970 is pure orgasm. The gameplay is admittedly simple, but still thigh and reactive. The shield wall formation portions are something new and very nice, but for the rest I agree it's missing some diversity. The finisher moves executions are probably the worst part of the game. While the animations are very nice and diverse, the slow-motion/stop others enemies from moving and press the correct corresponding color button get old very fast. This is the only reason why the game did not get 10/10. If this is a glance of what the future of video game is, things are looking quite bright ahead!

I'm disappointed at the current low score this game have, gamers seriously don't know what's good for them.
  40. Jan 21, 2015
    The best graphics ingame of the history. I don't know why is so low the score because it's awesome, fantastic an very funny. Only the duration short, but for me it's a fantastic game.
  41. Oct 11, 2014
    Game is awesome! It has a Batman-like combat system just like Sleeping Dogs, Shadow of Mordor and other new third person games. Graphics are incredible (better than Metro Redux) and plays with +30 FPS on R7 260x + i5 4430. The story is interesting, the action is really immersive and intense and the soundtrack really sets the mood.

No complaints.
  42. Jan 29, 2015
    What company releases a PC game in 2014 that doesn't allow you to choose what keys you want to use? That company is Crytek, which spends all it's time making a game look beautiful, but spends zero time making it playable for a PC audience. All key binds are pre-set and can not be customized, so get ready to use WASD to move your character around like a game from 1990. No wonder this gameWhat company releases a PC game in 2014 that doesn't allow you to choose what keys you want to use? That company is Crytek, which spends all it's time making a game look beautiful, but spends zero time making it playable for a PC audience. All key binds are pre-set and can not be customized, so get ready to use WASD to move your character around like a game from 1990. No wonder this game is already discounted so low, it's a shoddy console port meant to be played with a controller. Keyboard and mouse PC players need not apply. Expand
  43. Oct 18, 2014
    This is a techdemo, nothing more. I won't touch history and credibility, this is a fantasy game, like the Gladiator movie, it has nothing to do with reality - and that would have been the slightest of errors.
    It came out since a week ago and we have 2 updates for it, but it is still buggy a hell. Sometimes it just loses controll - Marius stands there, he can't figh/roll just go around and take blows... If it is a techdemo, buggy as it is, it's not a miracle that nobody buys the bl..dy engine and Crytek goes bankrupt.
    Controls are non-existent: sometimes you have to hit the key 2-3 times, so mr. Marius moves/jumps/fights. Ridiculous. By the time he moves, he got hit 2 times from any boss. Did Crytek care about making this playable? We are in 2014.
    BTW you can't skip movie sequences, you have to replay 5-10 mins from the last checkpoint, so you don't even want to discover or look around (what kind of techdemo is this?), because you might die. You just focus on going ahead.
    Your "soldiers" just stand there watching, while you fight. They don't free the prisoners or help, just shout. Believable :)
    Every boss can be killed in one way only and the game tells you how to do it. So you walk in a tube the whole game, then you kill even the boss with one trick (and these boss fights are damn boring, a chore - any of the devs played Arkham city? No? They should have...). So much about creativity. As I've told you: an empty tech demo.
    No way you can take serious a "game" like this, so I gave it a 2, seriously...
  44. Sep 9, 2016
    One of the most underrated games of the generation. Shows you what a joke is "gaming journalism". This game is one of the best hack and slash games i have ever played.

It has incredible graphics and is extremely optimized, has nice keyboard and mouse controls, satisfying and gory combat, and a nice story. It is not very long, but it is replayable. Sure, this game is no masterpiece,

Sure, this game is no masterpiece, but it is one of the best on its genre. You don't do much, just hack and slash increasingly more difficult enemies, and proceed to the next corridor. But 99% of the modern AAA games are similar, yet no one complains. How come God of War can get stellar reviews and this was buried by the same reviewers? Same on you, "professionals".

This game is a 8/10, giving it a 10 to counter the retards.
  45. Dec 17, 2017
    I was trying a bunch of games tonight on my new gtx 1080 and this is the one I enjoyed the most. I think it would be great to have an option so it's a bit less violent (blood, sound) but otherwise the graphics are nice and the combats are fun, so far. At full price, I can understand the bad reviews for 6 hours of campaign but for 10-20$, I think the game deserves at least a 7.
  46. Oct 31, 2016
    Ive red some of the reviews and I think people forgot that this is a slasher... They expect some miracles in the field of combat which is anyway pretty good. Story line its interesting and graphics are beautiful although FPS drops happens so thats -1 from the perfect 10. Its a good SLASHER game.
  47. Nov 14, 2014
    ive never played this game and posted a review thinking i was posting on a different game and apparently i can't delete it only edit - Big thumbs up Metacritic (Y)
  48. Apr 3, 2016
    I bought Ryse: Son of Rome with discount for EUR 5 on Steam. For that money I got around 7 hours gameplay for singleplayer campaign. And that I think is what one should expect from the game: simle action game to play instead of going for a movie.

The game features superb graphics I caught myself looking at some of the vistas for some time. It a dynamic combat system based on attacks and executions similar to games like Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor or - to some extent - Dying Light. But the comparison ends there as Ryse does not have the sandbox mode that the aforementioned games have.

In general the gameplay is smooth and fun on PC and I would consider it as a good port. You cannot map controls but since you really only need 7 keys (four movement keys, dodg, block and execute) the standard WSAD + LShift + E + Space worked fine for me.

So all in all given the low price of EUR 5, Ryse was a good purchase for me and I recommend it to anybody who loves this type of game. However I can totally understand people who bought the game for full price rating it lower or even giving it sub 5 rating if their expectations were much higher.
  49. Dec 3, 2014
    Boooo.... Get this out of here. Ryse:SoR is a pretty game when the framerate holds up. The combat is interesting(for the first 30 minutes). The game is linear and the story is kind of rediculous. The game ends without explaining a lot of unnecessary mystical stuff. This is one of those games where you could close your eyes, hold up on your controller and get to the next area of the gameBoooo.... Get this out of here. Ryse:SoR is a pretty game when the framerate holds up. The combat is interesting(for the first 30 minutes). The game is linear and the story is kind of rediculous. The game ends without explaining a lot of unnecessary mystical stuff. This is one of those games where you could close your eyes, hold up on your controller and get to the next area of the game so you can fulfill the required tedious combat minigames.

Oh.. Combat is just a bunch of minigames and button pressing. Booo!!! DIdn't the developers look at any good games before they made those? It is ported poorly as well. Like i said, the frame rate doesn't hold up. I guess adjusting the engine for PC took too long so they had to release it as-is.
  50. Feb 25, 2015
    At a price point of 15-20 dollars, this game is criminally underrated. Gorgeous graphics (hard to believe it was on that peasant console) and entertaining combat, despite the repetition. Story and voice-acting are very well-done, which is a breath of fresh air from the recent games that had pretty crappy stories. I can see why people would get angry if they paid 40-60 dollars for thisAt a price point of 15-20 dollars, this game is criminally underrated. Gorgeous graphics (hard to believe it was on that peasant console) and entertaining combat, despite the repetition. Story and voice-acting are very well-done, which is a breath of fresh air from the recent games that had pretty crappy stories. I can see why people would get angry if they paid 40-60 dollars for this since it is short. Wait for a steam sale and enjoy the 5-6 cinematic beauty this game throws you into. Shame there won't be a sequel but I'm glad they ported it over to the rightful platform. Expand
  51. Dec 25, 2016
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a very interesting game, that although for some would seem short, it comes packed with the potential to make every single hour you invest in it worth it an enjoyable.

Some things I really liked: - Graphics - Plot (Although it could have been better) - Characters are vivid and you feel identified with them - Gameplay: Exterminations and Tactic oriented combat was

Some things I really liked:
    - Graphics
    - Plot (Although it could have been better)
    - Characters are vivid and you feel identified with them
    - Gameplay: Exterminations and Tactic oriented combat was interesting.

I was not appealed by:
    - Skill systems and upgrades: Feels somehow short
    - The collection systems: Picking up scrolls and the likes did not add aggregate value to me.
    - For some the game combat can become repetitive.

I would definitely give the game an 8/10. Enjoyed it a lot!

I did not try the multiplayer, so cannot comment on it.
  52. Feb 8, 2015
    Game is perfect example of masterpiece in any way it could be. Astonishing graphics, strong story, cool effects, great combos & gameplay. I can't think about any minuses of this game. It's just awesome. If you're fan of old wars, gladiators, Rome theme, if you like the movies like "The Eagle", "Gladiator" & "300" then this game is for you! I'm giving this beautiful piece of art 10/10.
  53. Mar 27, 2015
    Ennesimo gioco bistrattato dalla critica che a me invece è piaciuto moltissimo..... insomma, non dico sempre, ma ogni tanto trovarsi di fronte ad un gioco che punta tutto sulla sceneggiatura fa piacere.
    E' vero, il gameplay è un tantino ripetitivo.... ma la campagna progredisce così velocemente che difficilmente ci si ferma troppo a pensare al combat system, anzi tutt'altro... la voglia di addentrarsi sempre più nella trama alla fine riesce a far dimenticare certi difettucci.
    Insomma niente da ridire su questo gioco, durata nella norma (per la tipologia), storia interessante, grafica e combat system sono logicamente pensati per garantire un certo impatto visivo all'utente... e così è.
  54. Feb 5, 2015
    I don't think they actually play tested the hard mode.

In the introduction tutorial where you can't hit any buttons besides the ones they tell you to, I died. I was one-hit killed by a barbarian while awaiting my forced control. Soon after I found myself constantly getting by hits I pressed the deflect button to deflect, being taunted by it telling me the command I just used.
    I don't think they actually play tested the hard mode.

Alt+F4 also doesn't seem to work, because after 20 minutes of dealing with clunky controls, poorly implemented commands and repetitive combat I was about done.

I just finished playing Shadow of Mordor before picking this game up and man is it hard to go from one game in the genre that is so much better to one that was clearly not even QAed. Go play Shadow of Mordor it is way fun and the combat is slick, unlike this clunky piece of garbage.
  55. Dec 25, 2015
    EXECUTION TIME!

EXECUTION TIME!

I would rate this game a 7, but I have to give it higher to counter the noobs who rated it red. The game is short, there is not much to it, but graphically it is without equal and the gameplay (oh my, the executions!!!) only begins to wear out it's welcome at the end of the short 5 hour "story". It's a Xbox One tech demo. Expect that. Do not expect a full fledged ARPG.Pay $10 or less and you should not be disappointed, especially if you like God of War type games or roman type settings.
  56. Jul 13, 2016
    I'm a massive classical antiquity buff, fan of Greek/Roman lore. So perhaps that makes me a little biased, however I have to say this game is absolutely incredible for it's genre! Having played and really enjoyed other games such as Lord of the rings; this game is likewise amazing. It not only has the best graphics I have ever seen in such a title, but every little detail has beenI'm a massive classical antiquity buff, fan of Greek/Roman lore. So perhaps that makes me a little biased, however I have to say this game is absolutely incredible for it's genre! Having played and really enjoyed other games such as Lord of the rings; this game is likewise amazing. It not only has the best graphics I have ever seen in such a title, but every little detail has been painstakingly molded. It seamlessly transitions from the story to the game-play, the story-line is fantastic, very well acted. Amazing animations. Oh and really enjoyable combat. Then it also has multiplayer.... Cannot fathom why anyone would give it less than 8.. Expand
  57. May 2, 2017
    My Opinion of Ryse: Son of Rome - 8/10

Difficulty: Centurion When I first started this game, I was already amazed by the power of CRYENGINE, I've always known the engine's capabilities and it's reputation, but Ryse: Son of Rome looked visually absolutely stunning! The animations, camera movements, lighting..everything felt lifelike, which gave me an immersed feeling while playing.
    My Opinion of Ryse: Son of Rome - 8/10

Difficulty: Centurion

When I first started this game, I was already amazed by the power of CRYENGINE, I've always known the engine's capabilities and it's reputation, but Ryse: Son of Rome looked visually absolutely stunning! The animations, camera movements, lighting..everything felt lifelike, which gave me an immersed feeling while playing. The combat however was a little repetitive, though the executions looked awesome and had a 300-like style, it felt very repetitive because of the same way you have to deal with enemies and the same way you kill them over and over again, this game is very focused on it's combat but I think that could've been done better. The story however is a big plus for me, I always get attracted to games with a good story and this is certainly one of them, I agree however that some characters could've been better developed as in that we know very little of them while we'd like to know more. Aside from that the overall storyline was really great and felt like I was truly a Roman. The only thing I do not like is the fact that everything is linear and scripted, no dynamic changes into the story or environment. Would've loved to explore more of Rome in this game, especially with those stunning visuals.

Pro's:

Beautiful environments powered by the stunning visuals and audio of CRYENGINE
    Amazing storyline
    Lifelike and immersive cinematics and cutscenes
    Time setting and location

Cons:

Repetitive combat
    Short campaign (would've liked to see more)
    Undeveloped characters
    Everything is linear and scripted

Conclusion:

Ryse: Son of Rome is certainly a game worth playing with stunning looking visuals and lifelike cutscenes & cinematics. The story is very good with the feel of being an actual Roman, though the campaign is very short and linear, it is very enjoyable as well. The combat feels a bit repetitive and not much variety in both enemies and kill actions. I would recommend this game for people who love the Roman history, along with some action, a good story and amazing visuals.
  58. Sep 3, 2016
    Great game, great story, great soundtrack, great gameplay especially with a controller and the most beautiful feature of this is the astonishing graphics. On the other hand it is a little bit too violent and I think this is making the game to departure from reality NOT to get close of it. Worth to give it a try. (75/100 for me)
  59. Mar 18, 2016
    * The game has great graphics, and many characters are perfected polygons
    * cut scenes are great and animation is excellent looks like real
    * story line is good and interesting * Field of view is narrow while running, * The way the character moves while running and annoying dodging camera, should be better, * Hit and slash again and again is annoying little bit, but fighting is brutal
    * The game has great graphics, and many characters are perfected polygons
    * cut scenes are great and animation is excellent looks like real
    * story line is good and interesting
    * Field of view is narrow while running,
    * Hit and slash again and again is annoying little bit, but fighting is brutal with nice cinematic scenes,
    * If the game was more to adventure or finding secrets, and exploring places would be perfect,
  60. Oct 31, 2014
    Pros: Graphics, Clothing customization, Voice acting
    Cons: Repetitive combat, Boring combat, QTEs, Boring story-line etc.

Unfortunately this game suffers from a mundane story-line, and utterly monotonous combat. Saved from being a complete disaster are the graphics and voice acting.
  61. Oct 17, 2015
    Ryse is a story driven third person, action adventure game with a heavy focus on melee combat.

Visually it's absolutely spectacular, it very much left me in awe on the same level as The Order 1886 did. The in-game facial expressions are the best I've ever seen, when you're fighting enemies you can see the fear in their eyes, and the pain on their face as you kill them, it's really amazing. The cut scenes are also really well done, and the little cinematics are great as well but I would have liked more of them.

To go along with the top notch visuals the audio is also really top tier, with quality voice work throughout. The characters are really brought to life by these exceptional performances and the whole game feels like a well made film that you're directing.

Gameplay wise it's solid as well, you have your standard weak attack, strong attack, block and dodge. What makes the combat so great are the slow motion execute moves, they're absolutely brutal with limbs flying off all over the place, and swords being plunged where they shouldn't be plunged. They're glorified QTE's with the enemies glowing either yellow (y) or blue (x) but you don't care because they're so satisfying. There's a unique mechanic where you can gain either health, XP, focus or damage when performing an execute move depending on which one you select (can be changed freely with the D-pad if you use a controller).

The one area the game falls is the performance, it's not optimised well at all. I spent a lot of time on Google trying to find fixes and optimal settings and even when using them the game still dropped frames fairly often, massively so in a couple of areas. It was not uncommon to go from 100fps to 20 - 30fps for a split second. I managed to mostly eliminate these huge drops with a little tweaking, but nothing I did removed the small dips.

The next time this is on sale I would highly recommend buying it, it's only 6 - 7 hours worth of content so bear that in mind, it's maybe not worth £25 but it's definitely worth the £8 I paid for it.
  62. Feb 8, 2015
    Don't buy the game though the graphics look great. It is bugged beyond belief. It will not run on a Win 8.1 i7 4930 3.4 GHz system with 16 Gigs of memory and an AMD R9 290x system. The game freezes continuously and needs a hard reset on to restart your system. It's a shame the developers did not even test their product before releasing it and an insult to the guys who made the graphicsDon't buy the game though the graphics look great. It is bugged beyond belief. It will not run on a Win 8.1 i7 4930 3.4 GHz system with 16 Gigs of memory and an AMD R9 290x system. The game freezes continuously and needs a hard reset on to restart your system. It's a shame the developers did not even test their product before releasing it and an insult to the guys who made the graphics design. They did a great job. The fact that Steam is putting the game in a sale (oct 2014) is an omen!! Sales on Steam mostly are about doomed games. Beware!! :-) Expand
  63. Oct 22, 2014
    The game has incredible graphics and semi-decent story (though it's 100% fictional aside of character names, the screenplayers completely messed up Rome's history, but it's to be expected in such game). Also there haven't been many story-driven games set in ancient Rome, and there certainly haven't been any action games. Playing a Roman soldiers feels incredible, especially with theThe game has incredible graphics and semi-decent story (though it's 100% fictional aside of character names, the screenplayers completely messed up Rome's history, but it's to be expected in such game). Also there haven't been many story-driven games set in ancient Rome, and there certainly haven't been any action games. Playing a Roman soldiers feels incredible, especially with the perfectly presented combat system that does show us exactly how Romans fought.

This is where the positives pretty much end, though. The game is EXTREMELY repetitive. There are only 4 types of enemies, and we have to blow through thousands of them over the game. There are not enough moves to make up for that. You can't exactly do any complicated chains like in DMC or God of War, the combat system is pretty much reactionary, there's hardly any room for player's creativity. Boss fights are also very uninspired, bosses are simply glorified mobs of a specific type (Boudica is a typical dual wielding enemy, Commodus is a shield enemy, and so on), the only difference being that they are stronger.

The game is also very, very short. It lasted me around 6 hours, and that was on the highest difficulty.

40 euro price tag is almost literally a scam for a game like this. Stay away until the price drops to ~10 euros, the game is worth that much, unless you don't care about your money.
  64. Dec 25, 2016
    This is not a real game; it’s just a movie with quick time events because the game does everything for you. There is no skill needed at all, just do the fighting with quick time event button presses and repeat this until boss fight starts with quick time events. Repeat the same thing for 6 or 7 hours and you are done. There is no great storytelling or anything, it seems like the graphicsThis is not a real game; it’s just a movie with quick time events because the game does everything for you. There is no skill needed at all, just do the fighting with quick time event button presses and repeat this until boss fight starts with quick time events. Repeat the same thing for 6 or 7 hours and you are done. There is no great storytelling or anything, it seems like the graphics were the only thing developers were trying to get right and they did. Everything else is just a big fail. Expand
  65. Oct 22, 2014
    The graphisms are very nice, well optimized for pc, but nothing more..
    Gameplay is poor and repetitive, the story is annoying and the campaign takes no more than 5 hours...
    Moreover, the game is pretty expensive...
    currently, crytek is very disapointing :(
  66. Nov 11, 2014
    Gameplay (of 10) : 7
    Story (of 10) : 7
    Graphic (of 10) : 9
    Sound (of 10) : 7

Total : 7.4 / 10

Total score is weighted average of four factors, respectively Gameplay, Story, Graphic, Sound.
  67. Oct 20, 2014
    Personally I didn't like the game due to repetition, Shadow of Mordor was released prior to the PC version of Son of Rome and after playing such a wonderful game Ryse was a hard one to enjoy. The main reason of purchase though is that Crysis developed the game and as everyone knows they are great at creating demanding benchmark tool games.
  68. Nov 1, 2014
    I liked the story and it was very fun, however the combat was boring and repetitive. I didn't like the involvement of the gods, and it wasn't very realistic. The graphics were unmatchable and very easily handled by even a low-end PC. The characters had a lot of depth and history, and the mythology was great. All in all, I thought it was an average game.
  69. Nov 25, 2014
    I bought this game for 25 €, and history has lasted me 5 hours, increasingly strive least complement stories, and the graphics are not everything, not worth ... maybe heavily discounted price yes.
  70. Dec 23, 2014
    Such a gem of a game! Amazing graphics and awesome story. Taking control of a legion is so awesome!

Anyone looking for a good Roman times game and immersive combat should play this. Don't believe the reviews.
  71. Dec 21, 2016
    Ryse is amazing game. Very fun, crazy graphics one of the best of all time and good story. I hope for ryse 2. Please crytec dont leave this excellent game
  72. May 29, 2015
    I am delight of this game! The masterpiece of game industry has come! Impressive! So good. I haven't gone it at all but almost. The script looks like the Hollywood's film. Good slasher and interesting as well.I don't understand people who write that the game has bad gameplay, short, etc. Can't, just can't put this game lower than 10.
  73. Mar 8, 2015
    worst game ever played, spend 30euro for nothing.............................................................................................................................................
  74. Apr 5, 2015
    Je to nářez maximální :) Bavilo mě to každopádně celou hru, ... ta hra nedá moc vydechnout ... komba jsou skvělé, nenudí a neomrzí ... divim se nízkému hodnocení této pařby.
  75. May 5, 2015
    This is possibly the most boring game I have ever played. I bought this game expecting a pretty amazing experience (it was the launch title for the XboxOne for crying out loud). Rather than getting a polished game with a fantastic store akin to God of War I got a stuttering mess with decent visuals and a short, unoriginal, and boring storyline. Really this game wasn't even worth the $10 IThis is possibly the most boring game I have ever played. I bought this game expecting a pretty amazing experience (it was the launch title for the XboxOne for crying out loud). Rather than getting a polished game with a fantastic store akin to God of War I got a stuttering mess with decent visuals and a short, unoriginal, and boring storyline. Really this game wasn't even worth the $10 I spent via HumbleBundle.
    I can't speak for the online play as graphic issues have turned me off from even trying.
  76. May 11, 2015
    Um dos jogos fotorealistas mais incríveis de todos os tempos que traz consigo um modo multiplayer ( Gladiator Mode ) tão sensacional quanto aquele filmaço homônimo dirigido pelo mestre Ridley Scott que fora vencedor do Oscar de melhor filme no ano de 2001!

Ignore os críticos e compre esse jogaço e lute pela Glória de Roma!!!

Roma, Victor!!

Força & Honra!!
  77. May 15, 2015
    Absolutely GOTY!

I seriously cant understand the low score. Game is 10/10 gorgeous! As for the gameplay: AMAZING and addictive! Only downside i can find is: Not long enough! It has for about 10/15 hrs of gameplay WITH decent replayabilty. A serious 9/10 you can rarely find! Performance: Really well optimized on 4770k, GTX 780. Which is my setup= ran WITHOUT any problem on
    Absolutely GOTY!

I seriously cant understand the low score. Game is 10/10 gorgeous!

As for the gameplay: AMAZING and addictive!

Performance: Really well optimized on 4770k, GTX 780. Which is my setup= ran WITHOUT any problem on HIGHEST graphics WITHOUT SMAA, for obvious reasons, SMAA is OP. ABSOLUTELY no aliansing issues AT ALL! This is like a first game in forever wthout aliansing issues, using temporal aliansing(Nvidia TXAA).
    I did have LOTS of framedrops on a bit open and graphics demanding areas. Those framedrops usually fell down to 30 at minimum and usually stayed at 45. Otherwise it was a CONSTANT 60fps...
  78. Oct 18, 2015
    Excelente game, uma pena não ter jogado antes, Bons gráficos, trilha sonora e jogabilidade. Só faltou ser mais longo e menos linear. 100% Recomendado!!!
  79. Nov 6, 2015
    RYSE SON OF ROME best ever storyline and stunning amazing graphics and voice. we need ryse 2. crytek never made dissappointing to its gamers fan. pleaseee second hack and slash title.
  80. Dec 7, 2016
    Injugable, tuve que devolverlo porque bajaba a 18 FPS constantemente aunque mi equipo supera los requisitos recomendados para jugar a 1080 y 60 FPS. Realmente, un port nefasto.
  81. Apr 18, 2016
    I understand many of the bad critics made for this game, most of them talk about the simplicity of the combat system, a restricted area for playing and historical mistakes (I got a bit angry myself when I first saw the colosseum, wasn't built yet by then). All that may be kind of true, but, this game was not made with the purpose of giving awesome combat, immersive open world or historyI understand many of the bad critics made for this game, most of them talk about the simplicity of the combat system, a restricted area for playing and historical mistakes (I got a bit angry myself when I first saw the colosseum, wasn't built yet by then). All that may be kind of true, but, this game was not made with the purpose of giving awesome combat, immersive open world or history lessons; this tgame is not even a game, is a film about a DIFFERENT Rome in which you can interact. Yes the Emperor is called Nero and Boudica existed, but apart from that everithing is part of another reality (Armors, characters, elephants in Britain, legend of Damocles...). I really enjoyed the game and its plot, full of great interpretations, good cutscenes and better dialogues.
    It has also some cons though, almost all the enmies look the same, there's very few variation on their looks, and the fact that you cannot customize the controls is quite annoying. To sum up , if you play this game dont expect too much liberty or historical accuracy, you're playing a fiction film!
  82. Jul 7, 2016
    What is great about Ryse: Son of Rome, it's graphics. It is extremely cool when we're talking about graphics. You will see high-quality textures, good lighting, etc. I was amazed with quality, really. Moreover, there's an interesting plot and pretty good gameplay. Recommended, but remind that it's only for one completing.
  83. Jan 28, 2017
    NICE GAME with amazing graphics and voice actor. The story is also interesting and will make you curious what will happen next. game mechanics is repetitive, but it is covered by amazing story and graphics. Great for you who only wants a nice graphic with hack and slash action
  84. Sep 8, 2018
    The game starts out and it immediately feels like its trying to be cinematic. You start out in a location and then it cuts back in time to show you how your character got to that point. The intro is fine but a lot of times thats to create ambiguity and you feel curious but this game didn’t do a great job of peaking my curiosity. I kept playing because the combat seem fun and eventually theThe game starts out and it immediately feels like its trying to be cinematic. You start out in a location and then it cuts back in time to show you how your character got to that point. The intro is fine but a lot of times thats to create ambiguity and you feel curious but this game didn’t do a great job of peaking my curiosity. I kept playing because the combat seem fun and eventually the story did intrigue me but it did not get its hooks into me initially.

To boil the story to its most simplistic, it ends up being a boiler plate revenge story. Which I found to be incredibly disappointing, you’re in Ancient Rome but you don’t really take advantage of it. Its a story that could fit in almost any era and thats a bummer.

What ended up carrying this game for me personally was its combat. Its not a combat that you want to engage in for a long time but for the games 7-8 hours, its the perfect amount of time to have enjoy the combat but not get sick of it. The combat really kind of reminded me of Shadow of Mordor, its very mashy and beat em’ up where you attack, counter and then go back to attacking. Eventually you wear down the enemies to the point where you can finish them off with a special kill move. The animations took a little longer than you would want but atleast there were quite of few different killing animations so atleast they felt somewhat fresh.

I did enjoy my time with the game, this is one of those games where I bought this game for cheap and enjoyed it. If I spent $60 on the game, I would probably have a different outlook on this game. It definitely wasn’t worth the $60 but if you can get it under $20, its not a bad game to sit down and play through some weekend.
  85. Dec 26, 2016
    Its really hard to judge this game, because it won't get high score if you judge it against all other games overall, but if you judge for what it is, short but very intensive and emotional experience, it is great and does its job very well. Depends of what you expect. I played it through 3 times in 2 years and liked it every time, not really caring about how it compares to other gamesIts really hard to judge this game, because it won't get high score if you judge it against all other games overall, but if you judge for what it is, short but very intensive and emotional experience, it is great and does its job very well. Depends of what you expect. I played it through 3 times in 2 years and liked it every time, not really caring about how it compares to other games overall, not really looking into details and flaws so much, which I normally do and this makes it hard to get into the games with some major flaws, so it means that Ryse is very engaging if it managed to make me ignore the flaws and enjoy the game, 3 times. Expand
  86. Jan 15, 2017
    Ryse: Son of Rome is different but enjoyable third person shooter game.
    Movement combinations just a little hard but you take
    pleasant when you learn.
  87. Jun 20, 2017
    I will start by saying this game looks great and the graphics are quite pretty when turned up to max. The combat is also feels quick and polished for the most part. The reason for my low score however, is that this game gets very repetitive, very quick. You kill the same 4 enemies, using the same 4 buttons over and over again. I would say this game is fun when played in short bursts, butI will start by saying this game looks great and the graphics are quite pretty when turned up to max. The combat is also feels quick and polished for the most part. The reason for my low score however, is that this game gets very repetitive, very quick. You kill the same 4 enemies, using the same 4 buttons over and over again. I would say this game is fun when played in short bursts, but trying to play this game for more than an hour to two at a time gets incredibly boring. Expand
  88. Apr 16, 2018
    Fantastic game. Story is extremely compelling and graphics are amazing. Combat can become a little stale but overall does not diminish from the games integrity.
  89. Sep 3, 2018
    Juegazo, muy buenos gráficos, buena jugabilidad, historia algo corta. Muy recomendable !!!
  90. May 29, 2020
    Такое говнище, просто шок контент, псведно-экшн игра, которая на самом деле является тупейшей qte , ни сюжета, ни нормального геймплея, анимации шок, постановочные моменты выглядят по дешмански, враги тупейшие, просто я залетаю в толпу лучников, вокруг меня человек 10 , все они пытаются меня с лука выцелить.... просто стоят и целят с лука, найс iq, пропорционально iq разрабов по-ходу, наТакое говнище, просто шок контент, псведно-экшн игра, которая на самом деле является тупейшей qte , ни сюжета, ни нормального геймплея, анимации шок, постановочные моменты выглядят по дешмански, враги тупейшие, просто я залетаю в толпу лучников, вокруг меня человек 10 , все они пытаются меня с лука выцелить.... просто стоят и целят с лука, найс iq, пропорционально iq разрабов по-ходу, на самом деле 0/10, но графика неплохая. Expand
  91. Jul 22, 2020
    Great graphics, environments and animations, deplorable, boring and annoying gameplay.
  92. Mar 26, 2020
    I must say I really like this game. First because graphics just blew me away. I did not expect visuals to be that good. Second because I like the game settings and the story, I enjoy playing as roman centurion and I like settings of the ancient. Combat is simple ,easy and enjoyable. Just do not expect to be challenged like in Bloodborne. It took me about 9 hours to complete the game onI must say I really like this game. First because graphics just blew me away. I did not expect visuals to be that good. Second because I like the game settings and the story, I enjoy playing as roman centurion and I like settings of the ancient. Combat is simple ,easy and enjoyable. Just do not expect to be challenged like in Bloodborne. It took me about 9 hours to complete the game on normal difficulty. Overall solid 8 out of 10 for me. Expand
  93. Nov 12, 2018
    Underrated game. Even at the end of 2018, around 5 years after its initial release, this game is high up there for contenders of best graphics and overall visuals in a video game. Running this game at 4K with a GTX 1060 on max graphics and it looks better than most modern games! The production value of Ryse is nothing short of top-tier, at least in terms of the content that's there. TheUnderrated game. Even at the end of 2018, around 5 years after its initial release, this game is high up there for contenders of best graphics and overall visuals in a video game. Running this game at 4K with a GTX 1060 on max graphics and it looks better than most modern games! The production value of Ryse is nothing short of top-tier, at least in terms of the content that's there. The art style, soundtrack, audio quality, cutscenes and especially the level of detail in the motion capture is impeccable. Despite its relatively short length (the game has 8 levels), it feels like a complete experience and doesn't outstay its welcome. Which brings me on to the other aspects of the game, graphics and production value aside.

The story isn't particularly innovative in its plot or its execution, but it's certainly not tacked on. It's very straightfoward and well-paced, being mostly aided by its non-standard ancient Rome setting; though admittedly it could've capitalised on this more. The level design is also very bland uninspiring. Sure, there's plenty of collectibles and you probably won't get all of them in one run, but I have never played a game more linear than this one. The world is very small and each level is mostly the same but with different environments. Although this difference is novel in the last couple of levels, mostly it's just a change in scenery and not gameplay.

This is where Ryse is most heavily criticized: the reptitive and basic gameplay. Whilst I can definitely see where critics are coming from, I also appreciate a simple but rock solid combat system. This game is literally the definition of hack and slash: you have your sword and shield attacks, alternating them in a suitable rhythm (so long as you don't do more than three of the same in a row) to defeat enemies. Of course, you also have the usual defense mechanics of evade and deflect, including parry for some heavy attacks. This is combined with a Batman Arkham style combo system, and genuinely feels satisfying when you have a good rhythm and can clear entire sections without taking any hits in a perfect freeflow. Even when that doesn't happen, the combat system is so unobtrosive that it's difficult to hate it.

Of course, a game which is almost entirely reliant on combat can't get away with just that. So what makes Ryse different is its heavy emphasis on executions, which are basically a bunch of preset quick-time events that require to press either the sword or shield attack button to finish off your enemies in brutally violent manner. Although there are plenty of these and you unlock more throughout the game with the upgrade currency, towards the end you will inevitably recognise each one of them and can time your presses perfectly; though there are so many including environmental ones that it's never predictable which one you will get.
    Here's where things get really messed up though: if you fail the prompt by either not pressing the button in time or pressing th wrong button, the game automatically ocmplets the execution anyway, with no consequences other than your rating being lower. So the only thing that makes executions satisfying is getting the right button and timing perfect so that you can get a higher rating. What these ratings do? I'm still not sure. Presumably they give you higher XP and credits, allowing you to purchase upgrades more quickly.
    That's right: Ryse does have a very simplistic upgrade system for standard things like damage, health and even XP gain, and executions can grant bonuses on any of these depending on your choice (a system which is again familiar from games like Remember Me). So what else is there? Well, there are some very simple projectiles in the game: spears and spear cannons. However there is no aiming involved: the game automatically does that aiming and you just pull the trigger. This becomes hialriously absurd in the beginning of the last level.

So, that brings me on to the conclusion. The short version is that Ryse isn't an innovative game, it's very repetitive and the gameplay is about as cookie-cutter as you can get. But in a world of overly complex systems, microtransactions, DLCs and so on, I must say that Ryse is one of the games I've been most impressed by recently. I've always had a soft spot for short, single-player experiences like Remember Me and Mirror's Edge (which are amongst my favourite games). Where it shines is its simplicity: take a historical setting, put a simple combat system in, add a decent story, wrap it around 8 levels and build it with state-of-the-art game engine and you're done.

TL;DR: It's super-cheap on Steam, I got it for around £2 or £3. Repetitive, but gorgeous and high quality.
  94. Dec 27, 2014
    A Solid 7. It was a fun little game with absolutely amazing graphics. I wouldn't say they really focused on anything else, but I enjoyed it. Full of action, very simple. It NEEDS a better third person camera, and maybe a better combo system. That would immediately and easily make it a better game.

Its what you would expect from Crytek, a game that's essentially a benchmark/benchtest. You should have known what you were getting into.
  95. Oct 23, 2014
    Great game, great story and great game play. This is definitely worth a try if you didn't play it Xbox One yet. My only complaints about this game and the reason why i gave it an average score is the simple fact that your weapons and armor are not upgrade-able. I wish i was able to upgrade weapons and armor would've made my grind throughout this game a lot more satisfying but other thanGreat game, great story and great game play. This is definitely worth a try if you didn't play it Xbox One yet. My only complaints about this game and the reason why i gave it an average score is the simple fact that your weapons and armor are not upgrade-able. I wish i was able to upgrade weapons and armor would've made my grind throughout this game a lot more satisfying but other than the look of your weapons and armor that changes the more you progress in the story there's no feature for that. I love the kill moves and if your pc is capable of running this there's not too much lag in the fps department. I did notice on my less powerful laptop that the lag was bad but not enough to get me to stop playing. Another problem i have with this game is that the story is too short. I wish i was able to experience more in this world. I love ancient Rome and wish i was able to spend more of the story in the Arena (Coliseum). Just to keep it short get the game bro. If not wait until its on sale on steam or something it's definitely worth a try. I did have some personal issues with the game and felt like the story would've benefited a lot more if it had to deal with greece and the 300 spartans story or somewhere along the line of the Persian war. Or maybe the trojan war. Expand
  96. Mar 12, 2015
    Ryse: Son of Rome strives to show us how visually beautiful games on next generation hardware can be, it unfortunately fails to impress with its some what linear game-play. While I must give credit for the character development and intriguing story essentially what this games ends up being is no more than a repetitive hack and slash game where repeating the same attacks numerous times toRyse: Son of Rome strives to show us how visually beautiful games on next generation hardware can be, it unfortunately fails to impress with its some what linear game-play. While I must give credit for the character development and intriguing story essentially what this games ends up being is no more than a repetitive hack and slash game where repeating the same attacks numerous times to ultimately work towards an execution , which you will mind numbingly do so many times, it becomes unbearable.

With all its beautifully rendered environments and amazing effects it turns out to be nothing more than an impressive tech demo and gives a future glimpse into what this new hardware will bring.
  97. Sep 15, 2016
    This was a short game, but I enjoyed every minute going through its world. The story is engaging and the combat is very satisfying. It does suffer from a few camera problems and the upgrades you get are somewhat lackluster. It did a really good job making you feel like a bad a** roman leader as you command your troops forward. It is a solid 7 that was worth the price I paid on the steam sale.
  98. Dec 24, 2015
    Immensive and amazing graphics, beautifully rendered enviroments, suits, armor, skin, and everything you see is so gorgeous. Fighting mechanics would have been better, but with bloody fatalities, it enjoys you. Top class action and war atmosphere. I do not think this is a bad game, and for powerful machines out there, it's an eye show.
  99. Oct 10, 2020
    Granted I certainly didn't pay $60 for this game, but at the bargain price I got it for, it provided me with a solid week of fun playing through the campaign on regular difficulty and then on the highest difficulty. This was followed by an additional week of going through the multiplayer (which, on Xbox is still playable; I was getting matches 3 out of 4 times).

There is a lot to be

There is a lot to be desired in the levelling up system (half-baked doesn't begin to explain it's ineptitude), but it's a fun romp with an aesthetic and time period (albeit, stupidly historically inaccurate) that is often not seen in games.

All, in all, it deserves a slightly better score than the average here, but seeing how you can pick it up for the price of renting a movie, it's definitely worth at least going through the campaign on regular difficulty.

Have fun, just don't expect to get a lifetime's enjoyment out of it.
  100. Jan 7, 2015
    ok, so this game was both good and bad!
    the game play was so poor and and it didn't have any cool moments
    the levels were so boring that i wanted to sleep so if i want to judge till this part it would be 50/100 But the final 3 levels were actually really really good they were nearly perfect. i can say that the last 3 levels were a good 90/100 and the graphics were really really good
    ok, so this game was both good and bad!
    the game play was so poor and and it didn't have any cool moments
    the levels were so boring that i wanted to sleep
    so if i want to judge till this part it would be 50/100
    But the final 3 levels were actually really really good
    they were nearly perfect. i can say that the last 3 levels were a good 90/100
    and the graphics were really really good and without any serious bugs and the frame rate was fixed on 30 so it was 79 or 80 overall.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 15, 2015
    If you are in the mood to spend a weekend enjoying some graphic ultra-violence with your brain turned off, then Ryse: Son of Rome should make a nice addition to your library, especially if you can find it on a Steam sale.
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 9, 2015
    It treats players like drooling idiots that expect games to play themselves. [13/2014, p.62]
  3. Nov 11, 2014
    Ryse is very simplistic, but at least it’s beautiful to look at. No wonder Microsoft made it a launch title for Xbox One – it is an ideal introduction to slashers. Unfortunately, if you have played other, better-designed games, Ryse will quickly disappoint you.