6.8

1. Oct 12, 2014
    Sadly, this game hides bad gameplay design behind nice graphical design. But how good is a nice looking game when it is boring as hell and offers absolutely nothing but repetitive fighting. If at least it would have memorable characters or a story that sucks you in. Very sad that the developer spent so much work on the visual aspect of the game but gave it no soul. Could have been great.Sadly, this game hides bad gameplay design behind nice graphical design. But how good is a nice looking game when it is boring as hell and offers absolutely nothing but repetitive fighting. If at least it would have memorable characters or a story that sucks you in. Very sad that the developer spent so much work on the visual aspect of the game but gave it no soul. Could have been great. Only one positive thing to mention (visuals) makes one point. Expand
  2. Oct 13, 2014
    Now I have bad headaches and I stopped playing this game. The intense shaking of the my virtual hero has provided me that. Mindless animations, thousands similar looking attackers, permanently identical text passages about honor and Rome raises this computer game to the most boring game which I have bought for a long time. My 4 points are for wonderful to amazing scenarios, the high degreeNow I have bad headaches and I stopped playing this game. The intense shaking of the my virtual hero has provided me that. Mindless animations, thousands similar looking attackers, permanently identical text passages about honor and Rome raises this computer game to the most boring game which I have bought for a long time. My 4 points are for wonderful to amazing scenarios, the high degree of details and light effects. I feel sorry for the programmers who have created this wonderful atmosphere for this game. the landscape and equipment programmers have really given close to everything possible, the rest is not worth roughly his salary. Whoever likes monotonous processes doesn't prefer any excellent action and would like to strike on final opponents for hours, he may buy "Ryse, son of Rome". All the others should save the money because better games soon will come out. Expand
  3. Nov 14, 2014
    I guess if there was actually a game here I would be justified giving it higher than a 0. This game suffers from what I like to call "Crysis Syndrome", it looks really pretty but there is no game to be found. If I wanted to look at something for enjoyment I would go see a movie. Don't buy this "game" unless you don't like interaction and you just want to watch a story unfold without youI guess if there was actually a game here I would be justified giving it higher than a 0. This game suffers from what I like to call "Crysis Syndrome", it looks really pretty but there is no game to be found. If I wanted to look at something for enjoyment I would go see a movie. Don't buy this "game" unless you don't like interaction and you just want to watch a story unfold without you and when you do have control the game will hold your hand through it and treat you like an idiot. Expand
  4. Nov 22, 2014
    Went into this game with high hopes, and will say the graphics are very nice, but the game play is very dull. You basically go through 95% of this game pressing shield bash, slash, slash, repeat.. on everything you fight in the whole game. With an occasional need to dodge an incoming enemy attack. An hour into this game and I was already bored with the combat mechanics and it didn't reallyWent into this game with high hopes, and will say the graphics are very nice, but the game play is very dull. You basically go through 95% of this game pressing shield bash, slash, slash, repeat.. on everything you fight in the whole game. With an occasional need to dodge an incoming enemy attack. An hour into this game and I was already bored with the combat mechanics and it didn't really improve from there. Then I noticed my progress.. 11% completion, already?

Every enemy in the game seems to be recycled over and over again, sometimes you are even fighting 2 or 3 guys simultaneously that are just clones. Its extremely linear as well, so there is really no exploration to this, you're just kind of pushed through the hall completing tasks the way they want you to.

This game would be best experienced as a rental, as you will most likely do, and see everything it has to offer in 1 or 2 days.
  5. Oct 12, 2014
    God of War wannabe, with poor game mechanics, it only exists on PC because it already bombed on the XBone. Quick cash grab, without any depth or original ideas. They even didn't bother with a decent story, instead the mashed together some ideas from Gladiator the movie and some historic inaccurate **** into a an headache inducing mess. Don not buy it.
  6. Dec 6, 2014
    RYSE Son of Rome is just another shining example of "why we cannot TRUST professional reviews"!

that said, the game actually DOES look great on PC! it's like all professional publications say/write, it looks quite gorgeous. BUT, I remember a time - and it is not as long ago as one might believe - when graphic quality alone asured a game a rating in the 60-70 range! to be honest, I

to be honest, I really wish this game had more to offer... I wish it had ANYTHING to offer, but after completing the game about 50%, there has not, unfortunately.

10 years ago, RYSE Son of Rome would have gotten reviews in the range between 40-50 - as it deserves.
    but, nowadays, you can put in nicely crafted models and textures and get away with a rating between 60 and 79(!).

it's really disgraceful! not the game alone...well, that too, but I meant the developers not putting a second thought into everything GAMEPLAY!
    that, and, OF COURSE, lacking honesty from all major publications and critics.

then again, after seeing how the professional critics PRAISED "Bioshock Infinite" as a "masterpiece", slapping their 100/100 ratings on it, blinding even consumers into repeating all their marketing garbage, I should have understood that all a game needs nowadays are decent graphics, a fine promotion team behind it and LOTS OF MONEY TO PAY SAID CRITICS for their "professional opinion".
    see, that's how "Ryse: Son of Rome" has gotten it's 60-79 reviews, instead of those 40-50 points reviews it actually deserves!
  7. Jan 29, 2015
    What company releases a PC game in 2014 that doesn't allow you to choose what keys you want to use? That company is Crytek, which spends all it's time making a game look beautiful, but spends zero time making it playable for a PC audience. All key binds are pre-set and can not be customized, so get ready to use WASD to move your character around like a game from 1990. No wonder this gameWhat company releases a PC game in 2014 that doesn't allow you to choose what keys you want to use? That company is Crytek, which spends all it's time making a game look beautiful, but spends zero time making it playable for a PC audience. All key binds are pre-set and can not be customized, so get ready to use WASD to move your character around like a game from 1990. No wonder this game is already discounted so low, it's a shoddy console port meant to be played with a controller. Keyboard and mouse PC players need not apply. Expand
  8. Oct 18, 2014
    This is a techdemo, nothing more. I won't touch history and credibility, this is a fantasy game, like the Gladiator movie, it has nothing to do with reality - and that would have been the slightest of errors.
    It came out since a week ago and we have 2 updates for it, but it is still buggy a hell. Sometimes it just loses controll - Marius stands there, he can't figh/roll just go around and take blows... If it is a techdemo, buggy as it is, it's not a miracle that nobody buys the bl..dy engine and Crytek goes bankrupt.
    Controls are non-existent: sometimes you have to hit the key 2-3 times, so mr. Marius moves/jumps/fights. Ridiculous. By the time he moves, he got hit 2 times from any boss. Did Crytek care about making this playable? We are in 2014.
    BTW you can't skip movie sequences, you have to replay 5-10 mins from the last checkpoint, so you don't even want to discover or look around (what kind of techdemo is this?), because you might die. You just focus on going ahead.
    Your "soldiers" just stand there watching, while you fight. They don't free the prisoners or help, just shout. Believable :)
    Every boss can be killed in one way only and the game tells you how to do it. So you walk in a tube the whole game, then you kill even the boss with one trick (and these boss fights are damn boring, a chore - any of the devs played Arkham city? No? They should have...). So much about creativity. As I've told you: an empty tech demo.
    No way you can take serious a "game" like this, so I gave it a 2, seriously...
  9. Dec 3, 2014
    Boooo.... Get this out of here. Ryse:SoR is a pretty game when the framerate holds up. The combat is interesting(for the first 30 minutes). The game is linear and the story is kind of rediculous. The game ends without explaining a lot of unnecessary mystical stuff. This is one of those games where you could close your eyes, hold up on your controller and get to the next area of the gameBoooo.... Get this out of here. Ryse:SoR is a pretty game when the framerate holds up. The combat is interesting(for the first 30 minutes). The game is linear and the story is kind of rediculous. The game ends without explaining a lot of unnecessary mystical stuff. This is one of those games where you could close your eyes, hold up on your controller and get to the next area of the game so you can fulfill the required tedious combat minigames.

Oh.. Combat is just a bunch of minigames and button pressing. Booo!!! DIdn't the developers look at any good games before they made those? It is ported poorly as well. Like i said, the frame rate doesn't hold up. I guess adjusting the engine for PC took too long so they had to release it as-is.
  10. Feb 5, 2015
    I don't think they actually play tested the hard mode.

In the introduction tutorial where you can't hit any buttons besides the ones they tell you to, I died. I was one-hit killed by a barbarian while awaiting my forced control. Soon after I found myself constantly getting by hits I pressed the deflect button to deflect, being taunted by it telling me the command I just used.
    I don't think they actually play tested the hard mode.

Alt+F4 also doesn't seem to work, because after 20 minutes of dealing with clunky controls, poorly implemented commands and repetitive combat I was about done.

I just finished playing Shadow of Mordor before picking this game up and man is it hard to go from one game in the genre that is so much better to one that was clearly not even QAed. Go play Shadow of Mordor it is way fun and the combat is slick, unlike this clunky piece of garbage.
  11. Oct 31, 2014
    Pros: Graphics, Clothing customization, Voice acting
    Cons: Repetitive combat, Boring combat, QTEs, Boring story-line etc.

Unfortunately this game suffers from a mundane story-line, and utterly monotonous combat. Saved from being a complete disaster are the graphics and voice acting.
  12. Feb 8, 2015
    Don't buy the game though the graphics look great. It is bugged beyond belief. It will not run on a Win 8.1 i7 4930 3.4 GHz system with 16 Gigs of memory and an AMD R9 290x system. The game freezes continuously and needs a hard reset on to restart your system. It's a shame the developers did not even test their product before releasing it and an insult to the guys who made the graphicsDon't buy the game though the graphics look great. It is bugged beyond belief. It will not run on a Win 8.1 i7 4930 3.4 GHz system with 16 Gigs of memory and an AMD R9 290x system. The game freezes continuously and needs a hard reset on to restart your system. It's a shame the developers did not even test their product before releasing it and an insult to the guys who made the graphics design. They did a great job. The fact that Steam is putting the game in a sale (oct 2014) is an omen!! Sales on Steam mostly are about doomed games. Beware!! :-) Expand
  13. Oct 22, 2014
    The game has incredible graphics and semi-decent story (though it's 100% fictional aside of character names, the screenplayers completely messed up Rome's history, but it's to be expected in such game). Also there haven't been many story-driven games set in ancient Rome, and there certainly haven't been any action games. Playing a Roman soldiers feels incredible, especially with theThe game has incredible graphics and semi-decent story (though it's 100% fictional aside of character names, the screenplayers completely messed up Rome's history, but it's to be expected in such game). Also there haven't been many story-driven games set in ancient Rome, and there certainly haven't been any action games. Playing a Roman soldiers feels incredible, especially with the perfectly presented combat system that does show us exactly how Romans fought.

This is where the positives pretty much end, though. The game is EXTREMELY repetitive. There are only 4 types of enemies, and we have to blow through thousands of them over the game. There are not enough moves to make up for that. You can't exactly do any complicated chains like in DMC or God of War, the combat system is pretty much reactionary, there's hardly any room for player's creativity. Boss fights are also very uninspired, bosses are simply glorified mobs of a specific type (Boudica is a typical dual wielding enemy, Commodus is a shield enemy, and so on), the only difference being that they are stronger.

The game is also very, very short. It lasted me around 6 hours, and that was on the highest difficulty.

40 euro price tag is almost literally a scam for a game like this. Stay away until the price drops to ~10 euros, the game is worth that much, unless you don't care about your money.
  14. Dec 25, 2016
    This is not a real game; it’s just a movie with quick time events because the game does everything for you. There is no skill needed at all, just do the fighting with quick time event button presses and repeat this until boss fight starts with quick time events. Repeat the same thing for 6 or 7 hours and you are done. There is no great storytelling or anything, it seems like the graphicsThis is not a real game; it’s just a movie with quick time events because the game does everything for you. There is no skill needed at all, just do the fighting with quick time event button presses and repeat this until boss fight starts with quick time events. Repeat the same thing for 6 or 7 hours and you are done. There is no great storytelling or anything, it seems like the graphics were the only thing developers were trying to get right and they did. Everything else is just a big fail. Expand
  15. Oct 22, 2014
    The graphisms are very nice, well optimized for pc, but nothing more..
    Gameplay is poor and repetitive, the story is annoying and the campaign takes no more than 5 hours...
    Moreover, the game is pretty expensive...
    currently, crytek is very disapointing :(
  16. Nov 25, 2014
    I bought this game for 25 €, and history has lasted me 5 hours, increasingly strive least complement stories, and the graphics are not everything, not worth ... maybe heavily discounted price yes.
  17. Mar 8, 2015
    worst game ever played, spend 30euro for nothing.............................................................................................................................................
  18. May 5, 2015
    This is possibly the most boring game I have ever played. I bought this game expecting a pretty amazing experience (it was the launch title for the XboxOne for crying out loud). Rather than getting a polished game with a fantastic store akin to God of War I got a stuttering mess with decent visuals and a short, unoriginal, and boring storyline. Really this game wasn't even worth the $10 IThis is possibly the most boring game I have ever played. I bought this game expecting a pretty amazing experience (it was the launch title for the XboxOne for crying out loud). Rather than getting a polished game with a fantastic store akin to God of War I got a stuttering mess with decent visuals and a short, unoriginal, and boring storyline. Really this game wasn't even worth the $10 I spent via HumbleBundle.
    I can't speak for the online play as graphic issues have turned me off from even trying.
  19. Dec 7, 2016
    Injugable, tuve que devolverlo porque bajaba a 18 FPS constantemente aunque mi equipo supera los requisitos recomendados para jugar a 1080 y 60 FPS. Realmente, un port nefasto.
  20. May 29, 2020
    Такое говнище, просто шок контент, псведно-экшн игра, которая на самом деле является тупейшей qte , ни сюжета, ни нормального геймплея, анимации шок, постановочные моменты выглядят по дешмански, враги тупейшие, просто я залетаю в толпу лучников, вокруг меня человек 10 , все они пытаются меня с лука выцелить.... просто стоят и целят с лука, найс iq, пропорционально iq разрабов по-ходу, наТакое говнище, просто шок контент, псведно-экшн игра, которая на самом деле является тупейшей qte , ни сюжета, ни нормального геймплея, анимации шок, постановочные моменты выглядят по дешмански, враги тупейшие, просто я залетаю в толпу лучников, вокруг меня человек 10 , все они пытаются меня с лука выцелить.... просто стоят и целят с лука, найс iq, пропорционально iq разрабов по-ходу, на самом деле 0/10, но графика неплохая. Expand
  21. Apr 15, 2016
    I don't see where this game excells. For a hack n slash/adventure kind of game the combat system is as boring as it gets. You have a button to hit with a sword, a button to hit with the shield and a button to block. There is NO interaction between all these except for animations. There are no interesting combos at all.
    Then you have a button for executions that at first are pretty cool,
    Then you have a button for executions that at first are pretty cool, they start a minigame and the animations are well handled, but after an hour of repeating them it gets sort of annoying.

The plot is as cliché as it gets. A warrior that is blessed by the gods to fight for honour and justice and overcomes entire legions of barbarians (which by the way, defeated the Roman empire so there's that) without much difficulty. It is influenced literally in its entirety by Hollywood with that "hero" stereotype and I could even say which movies they copied scenes from.

Historically wise, while not being that important, this game **** on the Roman empire. I know it's just a game, but if you're gonna make a game about Romans, at least learn how they did things.

Graphically it's pretty okay. It's not that amazing, it just has pretty textures on the models of your character and enemies. Not that it needs anything else but it's not anything special.

I got this game for 5€ during a sale and I don't regret it cause of the price, I had an okay time (got bored in a few stages) but I don't see this game being worth more than 30 bucks, and I don't see myself replaying it ever again in the future.
  22. Mar 10, 2019
    All and all, Ryse is a decent hack and slasher, but i dont know what the hell has gone wrong with the performance after its post PC launch updates, its borderline unplayable now.

The stuttering, lagg is like i havent experienced before in any game, i mean WTF ? I remember playing Ryse back in 2014 with much smoother performance on lesser hardware. Now its barely playable due to all the lagg on PC that surpasses the game's reccomended requirements. Lagg is evident all throughout the game, mostly when youre moving though levels, but also during battles where mini freeze ups occur and boss fights, its really painful. Crytek dropped the ball some where real hard.

Its a shame, since the game isnt that bad. Combat might be somewhat repetative and lacking depth, but every stab, slice, amputation and execution feels quite satisfying even in last the minutes. However the boss fights felt quite disappointing, theyre very restrictive in terms how you can use the game's combat system. Levels, while pretty linear and restrictive in terms where you can go, look great due to Cryengine graphics and artistisc efforts put into them to make their historical settings feel alive. Soundtrack is pretty solid aswell. Story doesnt fair that badly either, it has a grandeur feeling to it and feels satisfying as you progress through it. I liked the inclusion of the mythical aspects aswell.

I barely managed to convince msyelf to finish the game due to the abysmal lagg. Its a shame since for a 2013 game, it still holds up really well visually and offers a quite interesting adventure.
  23. Mar 14, 2017
    Es la típica película de acción donde sabes que todo lo que esta ocurriendo no puede ser verdad, pero es divertida debido a las muertes y escenas espectaculares, pero hay un problema, una película de acción dura en torno a 1 hora y media, y esta dura alrededor de 6 horas...

Lo único bueno que tengo que decir es que es espectacular, escenas de película, con flechas silbando a tu alrededor, edificios en destrucción, catapultas destrozando barcos, ejecuciones espectaculares, etc. Es decir, como una buena película de acción. Añadir, también que aunque la historia no es una obra maestra, ofrece lo que el juego necesita, lo suficiente para entretener.

Ahora empiezan las cosas malas.
    No busquéis realismo, ni histórico y de ningún tipo, no lo hay (vaya, como en las películas de acción).
    Las ejecuciones están chulas... pero después de una hora, ya te sabes de memoria las 10 pu**s ejecuciones que tiene el juego.
    Hay, literalmente, 3 tipos de enemigos, que cambian de armas y armaduras para aparentar ser otros... no sabia que los bárbaros fueran todos gemelos.
    Los distintos modos de dificultad solo aumentan el daño que te hacen los enemigos.
    Los enfrentamientos contra jefes son de los mas sosos, aburridos y absurdos que he visto en juegos de este estilo.

Empece este juego pensando que no podría ser tan malo como había escuchado... y en cierto modo es así, aunque me ha decepcionado en varios aspectos, no es injugable, y llega a ser divertido en ciertas ocasiones.

Por cierto, no menciono el multijugador por que no me interesa lo mas mínimo.

Y, ¿por que he recomendado este juego si he dicho tanto negativo sobre él?, por varios motivos, para que un juego sea recomendado no solo tendríamos que ver que sea una obra maestra, si no que sea entretenido, y este lo es, si lo pillas en unas rebajas por 5 euros o menos, te va a dar al menos una tarde entretenida (siempre y cuando no seas muy tiquismiquis).
  24. Feb 5, 2022
    ⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀
  25. May 15, 2022
    It was one of the worst games I've ever played, I just couldn't finish it. I will not say there is an optimization problem because there is no optimization, it has a bad gameplay. Everyone loves its graphics, but it doesn't matter as it's not optimized. I would never recommend it, you don't need to waste your time here.
  26. Jun 12, 2022
    Clunky controls. Noob, child devs who must be banned from making games. Bastards noobs idiots **** cents and did I say noob devs? **** ur mothers noob ****

Mixed or average reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 15, 2015
    If you are in the mood to spend a weekend enjoying some graphic ultra-violence with your brain turned off, then Ryse: Son of Rome should make a nice addition to your library, especially if you can find it on a Steam sale.
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 9, 2015
    It treats players like drooling idiots that expect games to play themselves. [13/2014, p.62]
  3. Nov 11, 2014
    Ryse is very simplistic, but at least it’s beautiful to look at. No wonder Microsoft made it a launch title for Xbox One – it is an ideal introduction to slashers. Unfortunately, if you have played other, better-designed games, Ryse will quickly disappoint you.