5.0

1. Jan 20, 2016
    Not so good I'm afraid.
    Visual style, theme and game concept are really very good, I compliment the character design....but gameplay is not.
    Not so good I'm afraid.
    Combat is very light from a tactical point of view, very few option to choose from during turns, no option in character development (equipment, role, ability ...nothing is changeable), convoy management also very basic...so sadly get boring very quickly.
    It's more like an Android game than a pc one.
    I would suggest seeing gameplay video before purchase
  2. Sep 21, 2015
    This game was on my radar for awhile and I was looking forward to it (I love a good turn based strategy game). Most notably that it was using the Banner Saga engine, a great game if you haven't tried it!!!

Sadly this is NOT The Banner Saga, its a close copy but without ANY and I do mean ANY of the combat depth (or meaningful choices). I was hugely let down within 5 minutes and after

I was hugely let down within 5 minutes and after watching my entire squad get wiped out because I simply ASSUMED you could move and position your team (your "whole" team). However after watching the tutorials I realized they had basically implemented an absolutely dumbed down version of just about every other decent turn based strat game on the market.

Your ENTIRE squad (depending how many you choose to take to battle) gets 2 action points per turn, the AI gets the same, you can either move or shoot, move twice or shoot twice, move once attack once, etc. So instead of a position / cover based system it ends up being a terrible zerg what you can without moving too much while you watch your squad members get nailed (you'll basically have to sacrifice a lot of them to simply level others up) because everybody has ridiculously low health.

After completing the "main" objective of the game, I had seen so many of the not so random encounters repeat themselves again and again, which seemed to be par for the course, just a flat out lack of depth to the core game mechanics, although it does come in a very nice looking package.
  3. Sep 27, 2015
    People keep saying it has something to do with Fallout. Ha!! Apart from post apocalyptic theme it has nothing in common with it.I hated Banner Saga, but this is worse. Saga at least had nice drawings and nicely told story with distinct characters, this has nothing of the sort. Graphically obsolete, mechanically shallow (combat is just WTF?!), tutorial is non existent (or it's buriedPeople keep saying it has something to do with Fallout. Ha!! Apart from post apocalyptic theme it has nothing in common with it.I hated Banner Saga, but this is worse. Saga at least had nice drawings and nicely told story with distinct characters, this has nothing of the sort. Graphically obsolete, mechanically shallow (combat is just WTF?!), tutorial is non existent (or it's buried somewhere hard to find), interface is counter intuitive... the list goes on. I have to give my thanks to CODEX for saving me money on this piece of **** game. Uninstalled it 15 minutes after installing it, so minimal time lost.

P.S. Please stop making ****ty games.
  4. Oct 11, 2015
    Wow what an overhyped game.I saw some payed promos on YT and was a bit hyped.After some hours into the nothing but disappointment remains.Lets look into the details:

Visuals:Yes the game got a unique look.Or maybe not unique but you dont see this style not that often.Its a futuristic/cyberpunk-artstyle.Looks ok.But for the most part the game looks not that great.Especially in the fights it looks kinda bad.I played a lot of the classic PS2 strategic-RPGs like Stellar Deus.They looked more unique and they hold up to this day.When i compare Bedlam to these games i think the devs did an ok job but is this enough?

Sound:Wow, really nothing shines here.The weaponsounds suck.They are generic and dont have any impact.Is there a theme, a backround music?I dont think so.I demand more when a game sucks when it comes to visuals.You can do so much things with the sound to make the player forget that everything else suckz.But here?Nothing!

Gameplay:Ok, visuals suck, sound suck, what about the core mechanics?In 2015/2016 i demand more compared to the old PS2 strategic titles of this genre.Even on PC the genre evolved quite a bit.You have games like Jagged Alliance on the throne of the genre and here comes a game that looks not great with a bad sound assets and......a shallow gameplay.That describes the gameplay pretty accurate, its shallow.You cant equip weapons, different armor or do research.You start out with **** soldiers, cant equip anything.You cant adapt your own play because of the very limited supply of fighters.The healing takes FOREVER and everyone dies far too quickly.And here comes the cavalry, the fanboys, i know you guys.You say "but it is meant to be a hard game".Yes, a hard game, not a stupid one.The enemy will rush you cause hey, hey have nothing to lose.They die, no one cares while your healing takes weeks and you will encounter enemys every 1-3 days.The enemy will often dont use cover, instead the braindead AI will rush you, often instakill 1 guy per fight.Sometimes you awayteam will start the map seperated.Think about that.You start your mission and 1 or 2 guys stand in the other corner of the map and between your 2 groups are enemys.This is unfair, youll lose guys in this situation because the devs made it so so you have a feeling of "wow this is hard".Nope, not hard, unfair.A big disapointment are the encounters.You can choose what to do but wow, youll get no infos about what is going on.It will say "you found X, what will you do" and you can choose options.That is so random and its not appealing to me, im sorry.

Conclusion:From a technical point this game is ok at best.THe gameplay is shallow and unfair.No customization and soldiers that die in a second and you are not interested in them.Wow, what a boring game, i had fun for 5 minutes.The only upside:No bugs.A game that bores me so quickly deserves a 4.You can compare this game to FTL.That was much more fun with more customization.Buy that, not Bedlam or how i call it:Badlame.
  5. Oct 9, 2015
    I love squad based combat games. I cut my teeth on x-com back in the day and jagged alliance I played endlessly. This game looks amazing but the game play mechanics are hopelessly broken. Cover is made worthless as you can't shoot from it for no goddamn reason. You get two action points before your turn is up and they get to move making it impossible to coordinate your squad's tactics. YouI love squad based combat games. I cut my teeth on x-com back in the day and jagged alliance I played endlessly. This game looks amazing but the game play mechanics are hopelessly broken. Cover is made worthless as you can't shoot from it for no goddamn reason. You get two action points before your turn is up and they get to move making it impossible to coordinate your squad's tactics. You have to just stand out in the open and shoot like a **** idiot. It's like they found some amazing artists who never played a squad based game in their lives and created this amazing looking game with what looks like an intriguing story but god it sucks to play. Just no. Oh also most times you want to shoot someone right in front of you who is in fact in range of your shooter you have to move to some special square where the game will then allow you to shoot from that spot for some reason that is confounding thus burning both your actions to shoot only once at a guy who is like 4 feet from your character. Oh god this game looks so cool! But goddamn is it broken. Basics people fundamentals some play testing for gad sakes. Jesus stay away its a beautiful trap.. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 26 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 23, 2015
    There are two sides to one’s experience playing Skyshine’s Bedlam. You either feel bewildered when you lose another character in a seemingly unavoidable catastrophe, or grind away, repeating the same routing over and over again. And there is no gameplay between these sides.
  2. CD-Action
    Dec 16, 2015
    The game failed to win me over because its simplicity was taken too far. [12/2015, p.64]
  3. Nov 24, 2015
    Combat feels good enough, but there's not much to it, and little to strive for.