5.0

1. Sep 23, 2015
    While not unique in any way, Bedlam’s art is just scrumptious, its story-line is addictive and game mechanics are infuriatingly fun.

Skyshine’s Bedlam is like XCOM meets FTL meets Fallout meets Mad Max. You and your immense APC, simply dubbed Dozer, have to traverse the desert riddled with Mutant, Cyborg, Marauders and Rogue A.I. cities. If your foes won’t be your end, then the lack

Skyshine’s Bedlam is like XCOM meets FTL meets Fallout meets Mad Max.

You and your immense APC, simply dubbed Dozer, have to traverse the desert riddled with Mutant, Cyborg, Marauders and Rogue A.I. cities. If your foes won’t be your end, then the lack of crude, meat and power cells will surely make a dent in your quest.

Your goal is to reach Aztec City where, rumors have it, a sanctuary can be found – a new hope for life.

It's clearly a rogue-like game that takes inspiration from Oregon Trail, XCOM and FTL with a little bit of Mad Max and Fallout sprinkled on top.

I don't get why everyone is bashing the combat system - it's supposed to be this hard. You have to think to win a fight. There are so many dumbed down games nowadays that don't require any strategy whatsoever. Unfortunately, shallow titles have cemented themselves as the gaming industry's standard. It has to be incredible easy to play, filled with tutorials so everyone can jump on it and of course, have a safety net just in case you don't quite get the mechanics - aka a ton of checkpoints and the possibility to Save Game.

Well, this is not the case with Skyshine's Bedlam. It stands tall with its middle finger pointed at the status quo.

Combat is fun and enjoyable - if you spend time to actually learn it. The story unravels as you play. If you just go straight to Aztec City you'll be missing out on the fantastic lore made by John Mueller and his team.

Sure, it can feel lackluster if you don't pay any attention to details, if you don't immerse yourself into Bedlam's universe. But who's fault is that?

Try it out on Steam, it's totally worth it.
  2. Dec 26, 2015
    I've been following this game since Kickstarter. I have to say while it was rough around the edges upon release, the devs have been listening and have made major updates to this game. So all the review below are actually invalid as they pertain to version 1.5 and under. You have to try version 2.5 - they added a new tactics mode for combat!! All my other issues, like wonky boring eventsI've been following this game since Kickstarter. I have to say while it was rough around the edges upon release, the devs have been listening and have made major updates to this game. So all the review below are actually invalid as they pertain to version 1.5 and under. You have to try version 2.5 - they added a new tactics mode for combat!! All my other issues, like wonky boring events are also being addressed. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 26 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 23, 2015
    There are two sides to one’s experience playing Skyshine’s Bedlam. You either feel bewildered when you lose another character in a seemingly unavoidable catastrophe, or grind away, repeating the same routing over and over again. And there is no gameplay between these sides.
  2. CD-Action
    Dec 16, 2015
    The game failed to win me over because its simplicity was taken too far. [12/2015, p.64]
  3. Nov 24, 2015
    Combat feels good enough, but there's not much to it, and little to strive for.