5.3

1. Aug 13, 2016
    Slain is a rare success story in the sense that it released in horrific condition and instead of washing their hands of it and cashing what little money they made from it the devs actually fixed it, and so we have Slain: Back from Hell which is basically version 2.0 and it fixes most of the issues that plagued initial release build, which is reflected in the recent (very positive) andSlain is a rare success story in the sense that it released in horrific condition and instead of washing their hands of it and cashing what little money they made from it the devs actually fixed it, and so we have Slain: Back from Hell which is basically version 2.0 and it fixes most of the issues that plagued initial release build, which is reflected in the recent (very positive) and overall (mixed) scores in the Steam user reviews section.

I'd like to start off by saying Slain is hard, almost frustratingly so at times so you're going to die, a lot. Going into the game I didn't quite understand how challenging it was meant to be so it was quite the shock. Just for reference I have finished Bloodborne, the Dark Souls series and Salt & Sanctuary so I'm no stranger to hard games but Slain had a way of making me feel like it was being unnecessarily hard or even cheap just for the sake of it at times, however for the most part the game was a solid, enjoyable challenge, it's just a shame the overall experience was tarnished a little due to a few rare outliers that left me saying to myself "Really?.....", for example certain mobs have brutally tight timings on their counter attack, and when you have to hit multiple of them in a row without taking a single hit it can be frustrating, and it was. I also found myself begging to the Metal Gods themselves for a checkpoint at times after a tough section or mob but was left wanting which again caused frustration when I died and had to do it all again. I'd like to make it clear though, for the most part this isn't an issue, but these blips really did hurt my enjoyment of the game and I think Slain would benefit greatly from a final tuning phase.

Difficulty aside the game is tight for the most part, but I did run into a couple of issues where my attacks would pass through enemies, most notably on the final boss, I also had an issue where the charge up attack would sometimes cancel before the *ching* even though I was holding down the button still, it didn't happen a lot but enough to become very frustrating, especially as it often meant death when it occurred. Other than those issues the gameplay is good, the controls feel responsive and the combat is enjoyable, I would highly recommend using the D-Pad over the thumb sticks, though, as it was far more accurate IMO.

Technically I had no issues, I played the game on a GTX 970 / 3570k @ 4.3GHz and it ran at a solid 60fps throughout on maximum settings which is what you'd expect, but it's not always the case sadly so I thought I'd mention it. Visually the game is great and I say that as someone who isn't a big fan of pixel/retro style graphics but in Slain's case they worked and were executed well. To go with the smart visuals we also have a solid metal soundtrack which is a core part of the game and theme, so it was crucial that it was good and it is.

Overall I do recommend the game but only if you enjoy challenging games, if you go into Slain expecting to He-man your way through everything you'll be sorely disappointed, you never feel particularly powerful and you're always one wrong button press away from death so it's quite stressful, but if this sort of adrenaline rush is what you enjoy then I'm sure you'll have a blast with Slain: Back from Hell.

1. Jun 20, 2016
    Slain! is a poser, well-dressed and intentioned but vacuous, contributing nothing to the scene. It has the spiked gauntlets, the long hair, the denim jacket; but the house lights are on and everything’s out of tune.
  2. May 27, 2016
    Slain! is in the middle between its beautiful atmosphere and its problematic gameplay, which is unable to fully valorize it. The biggest problem lies in its structure, enjoyable but still wasted if compared to the game's potential.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    May 18, 2016
    Boring, frustrating and technically ruined arcades are unworthy to play. Slain! deserves attention only because of its decent soundtrack. [Issue#263]