7.3

1. Jan 26, 2019
    It's only January and this is already the most overrated game of the year.

There are very few heroes, few enemies, few bosses, etc. Once you've played for a couple hours, you've seen all the game has to offer. All that's left is to go through the same thing over again with a crappy deck again. Custom modes help slightly, but they're not nearly enough. As someone else put it: "the
    It's only January and this is already the most overrated game of the year.

As someone else put it: "the rogue-like elements destroy the deck building elements". It's true, and unfortunate.
  2. Feb 25, 2019
    Luck and RNG game. Be lucky and the game beats itself. Try strategy and get punish for it.
  3. Aug 10, 2019
    Its all fake! Everything in this game is predetermined! I can prove it to you. At the start of a battle remember your cards. Force quit the game and reload it. The next draw will always be the same which could never occur if the cards were drawn randomly. So unfortunately its all fake!

I expect a card game to be random. By that I mean that cards should be drawn randomly. Not in this game, you either get cards drawn preselected by the developers or their random card drawer is extremely bad implemented. I had a deck of 50 cards and one of the cards I had five times in the deck. Next draw I get 4 of those 5 cards onto my hand! Do you know how low the odds are for that to happen?! And this did not happen only once, it happens all the time. After this the game became unplayable for me.
  4. Feb 10, 2020
    The game appealed to me with what looked like deck building strategy / rogue-like elements.
    But it's so poorly implemented that you can see how shallow the game really is once you play for a couple of hours. I'm almost 100 hours in and without a doubt I can say this. This is not a game, it's a slot machine that makes you think that it's a game. You have almost no say in building your deck, your encounters or even the way you play. Still you're up against unforgiving enemies, set-back and awful balance issues. So much so, your luck is the only true player. You either get a winning combination (cards, potions and relics) and soar through the levels or you get handed a **** hand and you got nothing to do about it. I can say without no doubt in my mind that the dev team worked hard on this but stopped halfway and put up a RNG system to cover the other half.
    Can't recommend this to anyone who wants to really sink their time and effort into a strategic deck building game. It's just not worth it.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 23 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Dec 11, 2019
    Slay the Spire proves that tactical games can glue the player to the chair for long hours without depriving them of mental comfort. At this moment Mega Crit’s debut doesn’t seem to have any competition – neither in the card game genre, nor in the roguelike. [03/2019, p.68]
  2. Apr 16, 2019
    Deck-building RPG + Roguelike, Slay the Spire is one of the most surprising, deep and engaging game you'll see this year. An absolute must play.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Feb 28, 2019
    Sweetest of all, the satisfying thrum of a finely tuned engine. [Issue#330, p.116]