8.1

1. May 17, 2020
    Great indie story made by a 2 person studio. The game has a great atmosphere and interesting puzzles.
  2. May 8, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Someday You'll Return is story adventure in first person, realistic forests with unnatural and horror features, puzzles and other activities.

Story 5/5

Normal. Hard.

How many hours?
    15-25.

Similar games to SYR?
    Gameplay: What Becomes of Edith Finch, Gone Home, Return of the Obra Dinn, J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Metro 2033
    Grafically: Bioshock: Infinite

Verdict

Name of game “Someday You'll Return” comes from what Daniel said once, never to return here. Why - we find that out close to the end and slowly get to know why and what place Stela ran off to and why our character is such a nerve-strain. It is maybe quite usual story, relationship between father and daughter?

World is opening up in parts while previous ones are closing up. There are parts where is stealth, running, climbing, swimming. Puzzles are solved with help of found notes. Reality intersects with supernatural. When we end up in danger, we are defenseless to some extent.

Crafting of more complicated items is made by blueprint and every item which can be dismantled and combined is labelled with icon. Game linearity makes progression easier but takes away possibility of acquiring all not found collectibles that are plenty in this game.

Outside of main storyline, we can read about history of places which we visit, and that will clear up even what we experienced. Exceptional atmosphere is underlined by great music together with newly introduced locations. Beautiful nature is not the only thing that history of forest is hiding.

Game is not without its issues, the prominent one and maybe negligible is fluctuation of video smoothness. Environment is stunning at maxed out details but we will prefer quick video responsiveness in many moments. That is why it is good to expect lagging.

Story is extensive and it is possible we will not know what and where to, but all we need to know is hidden somewhere, or it just needs to be understood. I was delighted that psychological horror can fulfil my curious questions at the end and pass my expectations.
  3. May 16, 2020
    Это вот то как надо делать хоррор-бродилки!!! Здесь есть всё что давненько не было сотнях подобных! Диалоги, звуки, музыка на высоте! (Ну кроме криков бабских) Графоний - четкий почти без изъянов - природа, подземелья, бункер. Визуальная составляющая убеждает.
    Единственные минусы это: Много мелочей для разгадок которые валяются где-то в лесу с неудобной навигацией! Но в остальном игра любителям бродилок типа "vanishing of ethan carter" - зайдет! 8-10
  4. May 6, 2020
    Someday You’ll Return
    Too much of a good thing.
    Someday You’ll Return
    Too much of a good thing.
    Someday you’ll Return is a 15 hour long psychologocial horror game where you play as Daniel who goes to the forest.. a very specific forest.. to search for his daughter.. as a horror game, of course things start going crazy and your phone starts acting up.. right off the bat, someday youll return is visually impressive… the world building is some of the best ive seen in games.. there is so muh attention to detail in this hand crafted forest, from the tees to the rocks, everything feels as though it was hand placed and serves a purpose rather than random or filler.. and this is the thing I appreciate most of someday youll return… the first half of the game is great, infact its one of my favorite experiences of the year… exploring, solving light adventure puzzels such as repairing a ladder, going on a hunt for a doll with a hand drawn map.. these moments are what bring the world of someday youll return to life, it makes the game feel alive.. like a real place.. really immersing you… and then… the second half of the game happens… really only 5 hours of this 15 hour game is great.. these are the moments youre exploring the forest, climbing mountians, crafting potions to interact with different things in the environment… but the game starts to fall apart the moment you get to camp.. youre smacked with a puzzl that can only be solved if you find a certain object what feels like forever away, and even after being told what I was looking for by the dev team I oculdnt find it.. so there will actually be patches for certain puzzels to give a bit better hints… though moments like this only happen maybe 3 or 4 times… Someday youll return’s biggest problem is its obnoxiously long…
    This is a horror game, no one wants to play a horror game longer than 6 hours let alone 15… especially not one that doesn’t do anything new beyond hour 6… someday youll return after such a strong start throughs you into maze after maze, where its feeling your way around in the dark, finding items and combinging them until you’ve pulled enough levers to move on… its so repetitive and feels padded out, recycle,d and completely unnecessary to tell this games story or deliver the experience it sets out to deliver, with its super natural items and characters… half of this game could’ve easily been cut out and not a single soul would miss it or feel cheated when the credits rolled… every chapter felt like surely this is the end.. this has to be the end.. only for the game to drag this out even longer.. heres another maze that looks exactly like the one you did 2 hours ago except now were going to make you play with the annoying over used rock climbing macanic around every corner until you hate it… a mechanic that I actually really likd and felt added to the immersion during the first 6 or so hours… someday youll return started out as one of my favorite games of the year, but it just doesn’t stop hitting you with things until you don’t like it anymore… that being said, I cant overlook all of the goodthat it does, the attention to detail withing the first half of the game, its attempt to tell a chilling storey and create memorable characters… someday youll return has such great and even amazing aspects to it, it’s a shame that such a great game is watered down by the menotony of horror game tropes, sure I ran into annoying bugs that forced me to reload later saves but if I had to chose fixing bugs or trimming the fat that is the constant mazes this game throws at you, ill gladly take the great bug filled experience …
    That being said the first 6 hours of Someday Youll Return alone makes it worth picking up, even if that’s where your journey ends..
    I give Somedya Youll Return
    a 7.5/10
  5. Oct 30, 2020
    Masterpiece!!! ... Hello everybody. I want to share my game experience with "Someday You'll Return". If you like original locations of Czech nature (e.g. Kingdom Come Deliverance), mysterious places, thrilling story, then buy it. That game is awesome. Graphics, soundtrack, whispering wind, singing birds. Perfect! Game was made by only two developers and I they have my respect. So nice andMasterpiece!!! ... Hello everybody. I want to share my game experience with "Someday You'll Return". If you like original locations of Czech nature (e.g. Kingdom Come Deliverance), mysterious places, thrilling story, then buy it. That game is awesome. Graphics, soundtrack, whispering wind, singing birds. Perfect! Game was made by only two developers and I they have my respect. So nice and large game only in two people? Give them chance, try this game. My recommendations. Expand
  6. Jul 21, 2020
    Отличный атмосферный инди-хоррор. Игра которая делалась всего лишь двумя чехами и которая приятно меня удивила.
  7. Nov 1, 2020
    Great game with a very interesting story, especially interesting for czech players.
  8. Mar 6, 2021
    This game is basically a walking simulator with adventure aspects. Although parts of it were probably intended as an advertisement for tourism in the Czech Republic, the tourist achievements in the game are life-threatening. The encounters and interaction are based on jumpscares and are so surreal and absurd that it is impossible to take the story seriously. Otherwise, though, the game isThis game is basically a walking simulator with adventure aspects. Although parts of it were probably intended as an advertisement for tourism in the Czech Republic, the tourist achievements in the game are life-threatening. The encounters and interaction are based on jumpscares and are so surreal and absurd that it is impossible to take the story seriously. Otherwise, though, the game is beautiful and interesting. Expand
  9. Aug 4, 2020
  10. tdl
    Jun 26, 2020
    See the variation in critic reviews when there's no incentives? This game was very well made and had lots of interesting mechanics introduced to you throughout the game. The map is huge and very beautiful and the way in which it is presented is very clear.

This game was made by 2 people by the way and this is the result. A underrated game in my opinion as I rarely finish games to their completion unless the story is one i still want to progress and this one I finished to the end!

Hard to fault this but if i had to criticize something i would say the phone becomes pretty useless a quarter way through the game and after that is only good for receiving calls to progress the storyline. Also i have no idea what the power saving feature on the phone does as it never went off.

Well worth a buy if you are into games like Ethan Carter, Dear Esther, Everybodys Gone to the Rapture type experiences interspersed with tense moments of stealth.
  11. May 28, 2020
    One of the best games of the year. A very small indie studio gave us a 20 hour+ exploring adventure similar to an AAA game. A must have
  12. Jun 20, 2020
    La versione, analizzata in questo testo, sia quella successiva all’aggiornamento dei contenuti. Quindi, basandomi solamente su ciò che ho potuto provare, Someday You’ll Return si rivela un titolo che ha alcuni “debiti” con giochi dello stesso genere pur presentando una discreta quantità di personalità propria. La scelta di inserire meccaniche legate all’uso degli attrezzi e alla creazioneLa versione, analizzata in questo testo, sia quella successiva all’aggiornamento dei contenuti. Quindi, basandomi solamente su ciò che ho potuto provare, Someday You’ll Return si rivela un titolo che ha alcuni “debiti” con giochi dello stesso genere pur presentando una discreta quantità di personalità propria. La scelta di inserire meccaniche legate all’uso degli attrezzi e alla creazione di pozioni risulta apprezzabile, nonostante renda il ritmo di gioco più lento e pacato. Perciò, al netto di pro e contro, mi sento di consigliare questo gioco a chi abbia apprezzato videogiochi come Blair Witch e possieda una buona conoscenza dell’inglese data l’assenza di sottotitoli e doppiaggio in italiano. Expand
  13. Sep 13, 2020
    Great game in beautiful czech woods (almost so good like in kingdom come). Very underrated.
  14. Sep 2, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is excelent. the best story ever. very good gameplay. nice music. i like it for a more endings. its very good. but strong emetion with storytelling is fantastic. i like it very much. this game is 100% for me. Expand
  15. Oct 2, 2021
    This game does have it's weaknesses but overall it does an amazing job on pretty much everything! Great, immersive atmosphere, intruiging story, good balance of horror elements. Some difficult puzzles and horrifying enemies. The only thing I would criticize is that it's possible to miss out on A LOT if you are not extremely thorough. The open world is huge and the game does little to guide you.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 32 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 12, 2020
    Someday You'll Return has a great idea, beautiful Czech nature and a moderately exciting storyline, but just drowns in a boring and ridiculous gameplay.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 22, 2020
    Someday You‘ll Return offers a deeply intimate, coherent storyline experience resonating in every player according to their own personal experiences, fears, pains and remorse. [Issue#302]
  3. Jul 22, 2020
    It’s in those quiet moments when it ventures furthest away from Silent Hill‘s template that Someday You’ll Return becomes a beautiful, unsettling delight. Unfortunately, the game forgets its strengths towards the end, and as a result, the ending sags and is much less urgent and interesting than the middle.