7.7

1. Jul 6, 2016
    There have been very few games that explore the squad-based tactical genre with a side-scroller perspective. SteamWorld Heist does this by combining elements of the classics X-COM and Worms, being played with a well made and full of content campaign.

With hand-drawn graphics, a selection of fresh colors and well made animations, SteamWorld Heist sells itself as a nice game in sight. Once we launch the game and see how it stands, we will be captivated by only appreciating the aesthetics. The music, though its obvious endless loops plays, reflects a decent level of production that is good for the steampunk and tactical setting theme.

The game offers the option to be played with keyboard or mouse. Using the keyboard we will feel the Worms kinesthetic when moving our units directly in combat, while using the mouse command we will have the feeling of playing a side-scroller 2D X-COM, if that is not enough the game supports the use of a gamepad. Whatever our means of interaction will be, these options will give us the comfort that will fit our preference.

SteamWorld Heist is the third game of the SteamWorld universe, and although it is not a sequel to the previous titles, it is set hundreds of years in the future. This time the Earth has been destroyed, and intelligent steam-driven robots have managed to survive in space, for it they not only seek for water and resources, but must deal with scrappers and Royalists, diesel-driven robots that abuse of their power by monopolizing space. We will play as Captain Piper Faraday, commanding a crew of smugglers.

The best way to describe SteamWorld Heist is either imagining a side-scroller X-COM or a more tactical Worms. However, those who have not experienced these strategy titles and might lack of references, will understand the mechanic of the game if it is described as an role-playing squad-based tactical game with side-scroller perspective.

As is characteristic of the genre, we will be in charge of a team of units with unique abilities and attributes. Combat will be made up of rounds of one turn per unit. These units may take cover in the environment, attack and use skills and items. The tactical dynamics of the game are based around the player's ability to coordinate their moves and make optimal use of the potential of their units.

Once we start the campaign we can choose from five difficulties: Casual, Regular, Experienced, Veteran and Elite. Each difficulty not only describes what audience of players it fits, but it specifies how it will reward the players when it comes to the experience gain. As if that were not enough, at the beginning of each mission we can re-adjust the difficulty to our liking. This not only makes the game friendly for those who are new to the game's genre, but also offers a real challenge to those who are veterans.

The tutorial will teach us the essential mechanics of the game, including the fact that the bullets can bounce, which is one of the peculiar features of this title and by which it takes advantage if its side-scroller 2D nature.

Once we complete each mission, the living units will gain experience to level up, and thereby increase their attributes and unlock skills. In addition, we can equip the crew with weapons and equipment that will modify their statistics. These items will be obtained by opening swags that we will pick up in the map of each mission and by buying them in stores with the game's currency: water.

It is notable that one of the features that makes the title so replayable is not only the versatility in the difficulty, but that the game manages to prevent us from playing the same missions each time we enter them, that is because the game randomly generates the structure of the maps whenever we replay them.

Once we finish the campaign once, we will unlock the New Game+, which has a higher difficulty. However, despite that the title offers a successful campaign that invites to be replayed while taking advantage of its random map generation, it is regrettable that the game with its potential can not be enjoyed through interaction and competition with other players due to the lack of a multiplayer features.

SteamWorld Heist offers a premise that has not been explored in other titles, with a mechanically challenging combat, fans of the genre will be in no way disappointed. Meanwhile, more casual players are invited to be pleased by their difficulty selection system, which allows them to set the conditions of the combat mechanics and make the experience more of a ride that an unforgivable challenge.

The fact that the game with its great potential does not support a multiplayer mode can cause discouragement for many, however, the game offers a satisfactory campaign that does not fall short with its sense of progress and persistent RPG features. This is why SteamWorld Heist becomes so easy to recommend, the versatility in the challenge it offers will not disappoint any kind of audience.
  2. Jul 7, 2016
    From digging mines in Steamworld Dig to traversing the galaxy in a pirate spaceship alongside a smuggler crew. Steamworld Heist disembarks forgetting about the formula that made its predecessor famous, in order to, advance the medium with a risky movement, transform itself to an action packed turn based strategy game, straying far away from the previously mentioned comfort zone.

Set in

Set in an steampunk-style environment, in this dystopian future there is a neat finish with a two dimensional graphic design. Although it boasts great visual art, the action of the fighting will make one put aside the beauty of the sceneries around in pursuit of a focus on achieving victory, using its design and objects for this purpose.

The audio is like the gameplay, fast and dynamic, there is no voice acting, only short sounds that the characters make while talking. The rest is all dump functions, the use of objects and ambient music is well-implemented, that comes to the game like a ring on a finger, of the hand of the folk group Steam Powered Giraffe, they can be seen performing in the different scenarios that we visited, just as if they were other characters of the game.

The game makes its foundation clear from the get go: the Earth was torn to pieces, and the steam based that lived there were forced to wander the cosmos in search of resources to survive. As if that weren't enough, there are two factions of enemies to face, they are the Looters, who are enslaving those who still reside in the remnants of the Earth, stealing the last drop of resources, and on the other side, the Loyalists, more advanced diesel based robots which seem to represent a corporate dictatorship. All of that, and something more...

The captain of a pirate ship, Piper Faraday, together with a group of smugglers, will begin a journey through space to give a lesson to the looters and collect resources. Travelling to different places where you will recruit new troops to help in the task.

Being playable both with mouse and keyboard, the game expands your way of being played, even allowing to combine both peripherals to the time of the action. Unfortunately, when you use the mouse to shoot, it can be annoying that it auto-locks aggressively towards what it wants to shoot.

In Steamworld Heist one makes use of his own playstyle, be it slow and methodical, direct or from afar, or even kamikaze. The different ways of doing the same creates a different experience for each player. However, the increasing difficulty of the game will force one level retries, updating their type of strategy and adapting to the type of circumstances presented.

On choosing, we will not only have a weapon available, for though the system of equipment of the characters is basic, sleek and simple, you will also have to choice of medkits, bombs and other equipment to improve movement, protection and others. Each character has three equipment slots that must be used strategically, as this will depend on the success of many battles.

Once in action, you will need to use the design of the level, like objects that provide cover, to tilt the balance in favor of Piper and her group. When making the use of barrels to take cover, the enemies will break it if damaged enough, and in the case of seeking cover behind explosives, it is best to go in thinking of what to do when you have to repeat the level. Once in cover, you must use the system for pointing and shooting, because the trajectory of the bullets is displayed on the screen if it has a laser sight; the bullets are capable of bouncing against surfaces, increased the strategy range, also considering, that the damage dealt depends of the impact area on the enemy.

The pace of the fighting goes hand in hand with the turn system, because everything will go at a relatively fast pace, even allowing you to enable in the game’s menu, the option to fast-forward character movements in order to save time.

Given that the level repetition, and the process of trial and error on pre-existing can patterns become extremely tedious, the game manages to randomly generate the layout of each level, which is without doubt a great relief for those who hate the constant repetition, and favours replayability since the game presents a development that is addictive in all its aspects.

Despite the fact that the game ends when it no longer has more to offer, fan petitions become notable, the one to add a multiplayer mode that would definitevely lengthen the experience incalculably and thus increase its replay value.

Steamworld Heist, as the title of strategy, but with the inclusion of elements of a role playing game, results in a safe bet for all of those who enjoy the genre. Addictive, fast, balanced but challenging; a jewel like no other.
  3. Dec 27, 2017
    Seriously, this is 2D XCOM except it is better, funnier, and cuter. I actually preferred Steamworld Heist to XCOM 2. Love the Steampunk setting, color palette, music, and the feels.
  4. Jun 22, 2016
    Great turn-based game with a neat twist on XCOM - you aim your shots yourself. The game is set in a Steampunk world with a real Firefly fell to it. The playable characters are colorful and diverse, the weapons look great and the DLC is just superb.
  5. Jul 7, 2016
    Originally a Nintendo 3DS title, Steamworld Heist manages to succesfully transition to the Steam platform with increased fidelity. The developer decided to take their next title in a different direction, drawing inspiration from games like XCOM and Worms. The end result is a game with a unique combination of mechanics which make for addictive and rewarding gameplay.

Despite being set in

Despite being set in a time of struggle, Steamworld Heist manages to maintain a beautiful artstyle, with every asset showing high levels of fidelity. Characters are very well animated throughout the experience, and on top of that, the game features fully voiced cutscenes which help further set the tone of the game. Nothing strikes you as lazy or out of place in this game.

The audio is also impressive and packs a real punch. Great sound effects give the player a sense of satisfaction when downing an enemy, or a sense of urgency once they hear an alarm go off. The game features a great soundtrack as well, from the main menu’s theme, to the dramatic combat music and catchy tavern songs. All music is performed in-studio by the band Steam Powered Giraffe.

Earth has blown up, making water a very scarce resource. The game’s main character, Piper Faraday, and her crew of smugglers will have to discover why the Scrappers, a criminal organization, are causing so much trouble with farmers and other citizens. While handling this situation, you must also keep a healthy stock of water supplies, and focus on avoiding the attention of the anti-smuggler Royal Space Force.

The interface feels very natural. It is easy to understand where your character can move, and which objects can be used for cover. Each character's path has a color which indicates if they can still shoot after moving. Damage is also presented in a form that is easy to comprehend, even without the need for massive numbers which clutter the screen. The game also features a very simple, but effective, inventory system, giving you the option to equip items to your crew members before each mission.

The controls are very well done. It is easy to cycle through your crew members and issue them orders. The game recommends the use of a gamepad, although less optimal mouse and keyboard controls are available in the options menu.

Steamworld Heist is primarily a turn-based strategy game. What sets this game apart from similar games is the 2D nature of it, and the ability to manually aim your weapons. This introduces a level of skill that is very unique for this genre, as you won’t be depending on hit chances and critical strike percentages. If a shot misses, then it’s solely your fault. On top of that, some of the game’s weapons feature a ricochet mechanic, meaning you can get really creative with how to shoot enemies that are taking cover.

The game has five levels of difficulty: Casual, Regular, Experienced, Veteran and Elite. So if you’re the type of player who only wants to see the story, you can do just that. Or if you’re up for a challenge that is more intense, you can go with the higher difficulties. Each mission is randomly generated, giving the game replayability. However, due to its randomized nature, luck can work for or against us. If a player finds themself struggling to complete a particular mission, they can opt to die or abandon and restart, hoping that the next generated map will be “easier”. Despite what could be considered a flaw in any other game, Steamworld Heist deters this in a very smart way by introducing a currency penalty every time we fail.

We collect loot in every mission, and are rewarded with reputation and experience at the end of each mission. Reputation is granted based on how successful a run was, and can be used to unlock new paths. It can also be used to recruit new crew members who want to join our cause. The game punishes sloppy performance, not only by diminishing the reputation gain, but also by preventing dead crew members from earning any experience at all.

The backstory of your crew members can be explored by initiating a conversation with them in between missions. An exclamation mark over their head will indicate when they have something new to say, which is reminiscent of other games in the genre. By not shoving a bunch of backstory into the player's face, the game provides a nice balance between gameplay and narrative, allowing the player to engage in the game’s lore if they so desire.

Steamworld Heist oozes with quality in almost every aspect of the game. It would be nice to have a multiplayer mode and a map editor, but this is no excuse to skip the game. Fun characters, amazing game design, and great music make this title one that every fan of the genre should play. At the same time, thanks to its flexible difficulty options, it serves as an entry point for players who want to get into the genre.
  6. Jun 11, 2016
    Con una jugabilidad ágil y desafiante, una banda sonora perfecta y una estética cuanto menos atractiva, “SteamWorld Heist” se convierte sin duda en una joyita independiente y posiblemente de las mejores del año.
  7. ave
    Jan 1, 2018
    Well, I'm not entirely impartial when it comes to squad-based turn by turn tactical games since I love them.

For me, Steamworld Heist is a perfect blend of familiar and novel. Tying the aiming and shooting mechanic to an actual player skill and not a random roll is just perfect! The whole game takes about 11 hours to complete, and it's always a pleasure to try a new one, a little bit

The whole game takes about 11 hours to complete, and it's always a pleasure to try a new one, a little bit harder at each time, to test out new strategies (team composition, item selection, field tactics).

It's a very complete and satisfying game, and I had something to wish, it would be non narrative adventure, where you start with all the characters, and build up your team on several missions. But that would be a cherry on a top of a cake :)
  8. Jan 31, 2017
    I don't think I can recall any other turn-based game since Xenonauts that I've enjoyed this much. But while people compare it a lot to XCOM, I actually wouldn't do that. At least not right away. To me, it oddly enough reminded me more of Lost Odyssey.
    Why?
    Why?
    Well... because of RPG elements like leveling up characters and looting that to me feel more RPG-like than strategy-game like. Probably because the number of characters, items and abilities is limited. Don't get me wrong, there is still a fairly large number but still... it has the feel of an adventure instead of this larger scale simulation type thing that XCOM has.
    Similarly with the combat. In most scenarios, you only fight using 3 of your crew members. AND accuracy/timing is key for getting those important head shots (similar to the timing-based combat in Lost Odyssey).
    Of course I wouldn't deny comparisons with strategy games completely. Maybe saying that it feels like a blend of JRPG and turn-based strategy would be accurate.
    Anyway, there is also lots and lots of content to keep you busy for many hours. My current in-game profile says 22 hours but that's with a bit of new game+ already, I think my first play-through (difficulty "Experienced") took 15-20 hours. Speaking about difficulty - if you feel that the game is incredibly difficult at first - don't worry, it gets more manageable pretty soon (even within World 1 already, if memory serves me correctly). Also note that the game branches at times and some are a lot tougher than others.
    I also find it noteworthy that this may be my favorite game of recent years, period and that despite the fact that I absolutely can't stand steampunk!
  9. Jul 12, 2018
    I expected to be disappointed by the turn-based approach to this one. So glad to be wrong -- it's so much fun. If anything, it's even more addictive than Dig, and more innovative too. Same high-end production values and attention to detail. Lots of difficulty levels make it accessible and provides motivation to move up -- slick that you can change the level for individual missions too.I expected to be disappointed by the turn-based approach to this one. So glad to be wrong -- it's so much fun. If anything, it's even more addictive than Dig, and more innovative too. Same high-end production values and attention to detail. Lots of difficulty levels make it accessible and provides motivation to move up -- slick that you can change the level for individual missions too. Great music, compelling characters and a simple upgrading system that works well. The beauty of this one on PC is that it will run fine on anything -- even ancient, gutless laptops. Expand
  10. Feb 28, 2017
    Surprisingly good side-view turn-based fun! Your rag-tag Steam-bot crew take on evil scrappers and haughty diesel-powered Royal bots in ship-boarding combat, earning water you can spend as currency (for the steam, naturally!) as well as new and sometimes rare weaponry. New skills are unlocked in a linear fashion (no choosing skills), so finding a good combination of 'bots for eachSurprisingly good side-view turn-based fun! Your rag-tag Steam-bot crew take on evil scrappers and haughty diesel-powered Royal bots in ship-boarding combat, earning water you can spend as currency (for the steam, naturally!) as well as new and sometimes rare weaponry. New skills are unlocked in a linear fashion (no choosing skills), so finding a good combination of 'bots for each boarding action can be crucial. Lining up "ricochet" shots by eye is necessary with some of the guns, so playing on a big screen can be an advantage. The campaign is quite big (just about the time I thought I was done, an entirely new campaign area opened up!) and there seems to be quite a lot of replay value due to enemy ships being procedurally generated anew each time you board them.

In short, it's wacky but surprisingly deep tactical gameplay makes Steamworld Heist fun to pick up and play but still nuanced enough to stay fun even after several hours of bouncing rounds off of deck-plates.
  11. Jun 29, 2016
    Great turn-based game like XCOM or Total War Warhammer. Steampunk setting is pretty astounding. The playable characters feel everyone like different and you try to hang on them. weapons looks great. definitely recommend for players who like turn-based games.
  12. Jul 30, 2017
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  13. Jan 5, 2021
    Un juego muuuy divertido con unas mecanicas muy interesantes. Ademas tiene unos personajes muy carismaticos.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Sep 16, 2016
    A solid, pretty and enjoyable tactical game held back by lack of the strategic layer and unengaging story. [09/2016, p.44]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Sep 14, 2016
    Turn-based strategy with an amazing atmosphere and interesting action aiming, among whose weaknesses belong both shorter game-time and hardcore difficulty. However, you should not miss it. [Issue#266]
  3. Aug 24, 2016
    The whole thing is fun to play, and with a good presentation accompanying a great game length, SteamWorld Heist is a worthy addition to any game library.