6.9

1. Feb 8, 2019
    Its atmospheric, exploration story. Beautiful, otherworldly, quirky and maddening. Between the role playing aspect and the artwork alone make this worth sinking a few dozen hours into. Game play isn't much different then Sunless Sea; Combat-lite mechanics seem just to add a rarely engaging system of story pacing. Though the beautiful setting it worth inching all over it can get repetitive.
  2. Jan 31, 2019
    Post-apocalyptic Victorian adventure novel set within a mission driven combat-lite exploration game.

+ Well composed and atmospheric environment, rife with pathetic fallacy. + The stories are rich and diverse, tempting you ever onward. + Combat puzzles have some diversity and are a fun aside. - Fairly regular stuttering when loading new scenes can break immersion. - Some UX issues

+ Well composed and atmospheric environment, rife with pathetic fallacy.
    + The stories are rich and diverse, tempting you ever onward.
    + Combat puzzles have some diversity and are a fun aside.

- Fairly regular stuttering when loading new scenes can break immersion.
    - Some UX issues and missing quality of life conveniences.
    - Combat AI is relatively immature, leading to common glitches.

If you enjoyed Frostpunk’s theme, Windward’s gameplay or Darkest Dungeon’s storytelling, then this is worth picking up and likely a must have after the first patch...
  3. Feb 14, 2019
    With a focus on intircate story telling and excellent atmosphere rather than action and complex gameplay, Sunless Skies is an refreshing change of pace.
  4. Feb 15, 2019
    this game is amazing the atmosphere and writing are flawless this game is one of the best
  5. Sep 9, 2019
    If you can look past the minor annoyances, the writing makes all the sunless games more than worth playing.
  6. Aug 21, 2020
    I love sunless skies but there are flaws

pros great exploration when ever I played the game Loved seeing everything i saw in the backgrounds great writing this game has some of the best writing I've seen combat I did like the combat but its not the best great atmosphere and story the story kept me in maybe not the main story but the side story's cons I felt slow when exploring
    I love sunless skies but there are flaws

pros
    great writing this game has some of the best writing I've seen
    combat I did like the combat but its not the best

cons

I felt slow when exploring and a better engine is costly
    The main story I had to look for specific things to learn about story
    The best way to get money in my opinion takes time and resources to do

even with the cons the pros outweigh them by a lot in rate this game a 10/10
  7. Dec 15, 2019
    This is definitely biased as I am a long fan of the Fallen London verse, so I am already pretty invested in this world. Nevertheless, if you are into atmospheric game with gothic eldritch horror undertone, you will definitely be into this.

This game is also a lot friendlier to those who aren't that into the brutality of the rogue-like genre and just wanna keep the character to enjoy the ongoing story.
  8. Apr 5, 2020
    Sunless Skies is not for everyone. It's sort of an acquired taste. So I can understand why a lot of people don't like it. The game has its flaws, there is no denying that, but I think they can be easily overlooked. At least if you're a fan of the Fallen London universe or appreciate video games for their story, atmosphere, tone, etc. and not for gameplay alone.

The greatest issue I have

The greatest issue I have with Sunless Skies is how needlessly unforgiving it is. The combat system is clunky and ineffective, so when you encounter enemies (and you encounter enemies at every turn) you always end up taking damage. If you could repair your sky engine at any port this wouldn't be an issue, but you can only get repairs in one or two ports per region.

I find this quite frustrating and hard to understand especially since Sunless Skies is about exploration and free play first and foremost. It's actually counter-intuitive. The game should encourage you to explore new areas and discover more of the Fallen London lore, not constantly hinder your progress. Until you get the hang of it and learn how to avoid (or fight) enemies you have to spend half of your time just heading back to port for repairs. I feel this could (and should) be fixed.

My other issues are not really worth listing. They are just minor annoyances. I have 100+ hours in the game so far and I still haven't explored all the areas. I barely reached the Blue Kingdom. But I thoroughly enjoy Sunless Skies, more than I did Sunless Sea. It's such an immersive experience and the lore is fantastic. So is the writing, which is quite important in a game that focuses on storytelling. I recommend you give this game a chance, especially if you appreciate deep lore, good writing and immersive gaming experiences.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 30 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 17, 2020
    Sunless Skies is an excellent game that rewards commitment to its steady pace and steep learning curve. A web of plots and places suggest the infinity of the heavens, but even infinity must end; in this case, it stretches across a million words or so and easily forty hours. The story doesn’t explore every nuance introduced, but that’s a running problem when writers seek to explain the ways of the heavens to mortals. Like many powerful, unique titles, Sunless Skies leaves the player with the desire for more, not because it’s lacking but because it appeals to the mania to solve every mystery, plumb every depth.
  2. Feb 21, 2020
    Failbetter finally balances smart gameplay and ingenious prose in this poignant saga of mortality, writ large.
  3. May 26, 2019
    It's an amazing journey — clever, spectacular and exciting. Fire up your furnaces, ladies and gentlemen, but don't forget how treacherous those twinkling stars can be.