7.7

1. Nov 17, 2019
    Superliminal starts strong, very strong. Puzzle mechanics are different enough for it to pique interest.
    Unfortunately after the third "wake" things go dramatically downhill. Puzzle solutions become more mundane less imaginative and the solutions become less intuitive, which is ironic given the idea of the game is looking at things with a different perspective. The game quickly becomes a Stanley Parable walking sim, which as good as that game is, is not something I signed up for by buying Superliminal.
    Although the game is short, it ran out of ideas well before the end point, and I was rather wishing for it all to be over about three quarters of the way through.
    I am sure you can sense my frustration here, because after first half hour I was sure I had stumbled upon a classic game.
    It is not without some charm and interest, and of its genre it is pleasant enough to play through.
  2. Nov 15, 2019
    This game is simply mind bending and amazing. It’s like portal, but more about experiencing rather than puzzle solving. Your way of perceiving the environment will never be the same agin after finishing this game. Gameplay wise, the only mechanism is the forced perspective, it’s very tricky to explain to someone but amazingly intuitive. This level of innovation although is not quite PortalThis game is simply mind bending and amazing. It’s like portal, but more about experiencing rather than puzzle solving. Your way of perceiving the environment will never be the same agin after finishing this game. Gameplay wise, the only mechanism is the forced perspective, it’s very tricky to explain to someone but amazingly intuitive. This level of innovation although is not quite Portal level, it’s definitely good to see from floods of similar 3A titles these days. Expand
  3. Dec 8, 2019
    Interesting puzzles, but not very challenging. Also game is pretty short. When I reached the end of the game, my first impression was "That's all?"
  4. Nov 13, 2019
    It is pretty good. It doesn't have much of a story, and it isn't real deep. The puzzles are so simple it is more of a walking simulator along the lines of The Stanley Parable or The Beginner's Guide than something like Portal. It is also pretty pricey at $17 (that includes the 15% launch discount) for a 2-3 hour game. Plus it is only on the Epic store right now, for PC only, and has noIt is pretty good. It doesn't have much of a story, and it isn't real deep. The puzzles are so simple it is more of a walking simulator along the lines of The Stanley Parable or The Beginner's Guide than something like Portal. It is also pretty pricey at $17 (that includes the 15% launch discount) for a 2-3 hour game. Plus it is only on the Epic store right now, for PC only, and has no controller support.
    But personally I thought it was worth it overall. It was a fun, trippy walking simulator if nothing else. A couple sections were fun enough to play around with even though I knew how to continue on. I've spent that much on 2-hour movies that weren't nearly as entertaining.
    I would much rather waste $17 than 3 hours of my time. I thought this was worth my time. But if money matters to you, there are longer, better, cheaper puzzle games out there.
  5. Nov 22, 2019
    Game with great potential that hasnt been used. When I bought this I thought its gonna be a puzzle game with levels like in portal or other games. Well, start is very addictive, but later it gets worse and worse. At the beginning we are solving puzzles then we are just walking around, the story is really shallow and it is supposed to be a "woke" game (like do something with your real lifeGame with great potential that hasnt been used. When I bought this I thought its gonna be a puzzle game with levels like in portal or other games. Well, start is very addictive, but later it gets worse and worse. At the beginning we are solving puzzles then we are just walking around, the story is really shallow and it is supposed to be a "woke" game (like do something with your real life etc). The worst part of this game is that, there is no easter eggs, the game is very linear. You can basically finish it in 1,30 hours. I dont recommend buying this game for full price (20$). It is not worth spending 20$ on a game where there is no graphic options and there are still several bugs. Overall it is worth checking but not for 20$. Expand
  6. Dec 21, 2019
    This would normally get a very high score. Unfortunately, Pillow Castle decided to abuse their copyright and only licensed their product to Epic Games under an exclusive license. As a result, their game is inaccessible to those opposed to Epic, and their game specifically endorses these immoral business practices.
  7. Nov 22, 2019
    Every once in awhile you are totally caught off guard by a game. You get a email with a review key, and you look at it with dread. I know you probably shouldn't. You should just go into games with open mind and accept your assignment, but when you're reviewing games daily it can get tiring and stale. Some times you see things , and just dread doing them. That is how I felt whenEvery once in awhile you are totally caught off guard by a game. You get a email with a review key, and you look at it with dread. I know you probably shouldn't. You should just go into games with open mind and accept your assignment, but when you're reviewing games daily it can get tiring and stale. Some times you see things , and just dread doing them. That is how I felt when "Superliminal" arrived. I thought here we go another indie puzzler "Who wants it" no one stepped up so I was like oh well guess it's mine. It didn't take long though to realize I had stumbled on to something really special. It took me back to he very first time I had discovered "Portal" Just a puzzler so intelligent , and unique in it's style. This might sound crazy, but "Superliminal" might actually go some where Portal didn't go. It might actually be more special. Note I'm not talking about Portal 2 the far more in depth title, but the original entry into the franchise. Superliminal brings first person puzzling a new element in depth perception and optical illusions.
    As you fall asleep with the TV on at 3AM, you remember catching a glimpse of the commercial from Dr.Pierce’s Somnasculpt dream therapy program. By the time you open your eyes, you’re already dreaming - beginning the first stages of this experimental program. That is the description given by the development team at Pillow Castle. It is just a really original and unique feeling. You have no idea what is going on, and why you are trying to solve these puzzles, you just do. As you advance and advance nothing ever feels the same, and that is rare from a puzzler. That usual repetitive feeling of puzzlers just isn't there. Every area looks and feels totally different. They all look amazing as well. The beautiful colors and well designed levels are just so easy on the eyes, You will find yourself looking at them for a good amount of time just trying to find your way so it's good they put so much time into their perfection. I can't put into words just how great these environments look and feel. I kind of worry that my intelligence level in description won't do this game justice either. The game is just so smart that way. It really never frustrates you, but still tests you at the same time. I wish i was better with words when it comes to reviewing "Superliminal" I hope maybe my score for it will help with expressing how I felt about it. I feel it's the best puzzler of 2019, and maybe the best since Portal 2.
    I would usually talk about music, but there really isn't any. I think that aids in the feeling of isolation. I think you really feel like you are there trying to escape. The narrator delivers almost the same level of excellence that Glados did. You really question yourself who is this guy, and why has he put me here. That sticks with you all the way into completion when it all comes together.
    Is this for you? If you like puzzlers with out question. I'm not the guy that says not my genre. As a reviewer and gamer, I'm open to all types of games. I've never been one dimensional at anything though. I've always enjoyed different types of movies, foods, drinks etc. I've always went at life with I don't want to miss out on something , because I was to set in my ways. That has led me to many of great experiences. "Superliminal" will go into that category for me. I'm glad I decided to go against my original thoughts and ideas, and I hope you will to if given the chance to play this. It is so worth your time, and it is so not like anything else. If your feeling the grind of repetitive games I highly recommend you run over to the Epic Games Store and give it a try.

Pros: Beautiful well designed levels
    Realistic sounds and amazing narration
    Unique ideas and game play
    Spot on controls

Cons: Wish it was a little longer

Overall: 9.0 Superliminal is one of those games that just sneaks up on you, and sucks you in. In my opinion a puzzler Game of the Year contender. Would be my pick without question. Most fun I've had puzzling since Portal 2.
  8. Dec 7, 2019
    I was so hyped about this one even before I played.

I was so hyped about this one even before I played.

Sadly idea of the game drained very quickly. I blazed through 1st part of the game as it felt like tutorial. Through the rest of the game I met 2-3 puzzles that really provided some intellectual challenge. Rest of them felt quite unfair as it was often about finding some minor thing to see or to click. Puzzle of green corridor loop would be awesome if not so detached from the rest of the game - it was huge difficulty spike.
    Ending of the game was even worse and if gone mad. Entire idea of ending was one big cheat - no clue what is wall or that to click.
  9. Dec 28, 2019
    It's fine though not a masterpiece but great. The main reason it's not a 10 is that the story and setting of it is very blunt to the point of being boring and cheesy though at least it doesn't resort to cheap jump scares like other games so at least it does that well. The other reason that makes it lose a point is that while the puzzles aren't necessarily unoriginal they do not make youIt's fine though not a masterpiece but great. The main reason it's not a 10 is that the story and setting of it is very blunt to the point of being boring and cheesy though at least it doesn't resort to cheap jump scares like other games so at least it does that well. The other reason that makes it lose a point is that while the puzzles aren't necessarily unoriginal they do not make you think they are revolutionary but they are still partly original especially if you haven't played that many 3d puzzle games before. Expand
  10. Jan 1, 2020
    Superliminal is a brilliant puzzle game with relevant message to everyone. One of the most important indi-games of 2019 and fantastic ending of this year. Highly recommend!
  11. Dec 15, 2019
    Superliminal: If Portal and Antichamber had a baby.
    It's short--for me, about 2.5 hours. But this means it doesn't overstay its welcome.
    It's got a unique perspective-based game mechanic, and the game stretches this mechanic to its limit without becoming too repetitive. The puzzles were often very satisfying, and they became more obscure and interesting as the game went on. The story
    Superliminal: If Portal and Antichamber had a baby.
    The story is engaging but somewhat vague, and some of the story is told through the environment, like in the Portal games.
    But because of the nature of its gameplay--satisfaction coming from exploring a unique environment and finding the solutions to puzzles--it will not have much replay value. So if you're looking to get more mileage out of the $20 price point, this one may not be for you.
    Overall, Superliminal was a satisfying and unique experience, and if you don't mind the price for a once-through type game, pick it up.
  12. Dec 26, 2019
    muito bom, realmente fico sem palavras muito bom mesmo serio vai la joga agora top muito bom de +
  13. Jan 8, 2020
    Completed in 1.5 hours, broke the game twice - first time at the kitchen when its revealed that blood is actually red paint - jumped out of bounds. Second time when there were supposed to be a paradox in switching houses - i became an ent and fell out of bounds in white space- not the one you are supposed to fall in. Whole plot is weak, puzzles are weak and i dont recommend anyone buyingCompleted in 1.5 hours, broke the game twice - first time at the kitchen when its revealed that blood is actually red paint - jumped out of bounds. Second time when there were supposed to be a paradox in switching houses - i became an ent and fell out of bounds in white space- not the one you are supposed to fall in. Whole plot is weak, puzzles are weak and i dont recommend anyone buying this game, torrent on your own risk. Expand
  14. Nov 14, 2019
    Amazing, but too short. The game is completed in about 4 hours, the walkthrough on YouTube is for 1.5
  15. Nov 13, 2019
    Un juego de puzzles 3D, muy al estilo Portal o Qube.
    Cuenta con una dinámica de juego innovadora que consiste en jugar con la perspectiva de los objetos, haciéndolos grandes o pequeños, según se necesite para resolver el puzzle.
    Es un juego sumamente fácil y se termina en menos de 2hs. Sin embargo es de esos pocos juegos que sientes que te deja algo al terminarlo...quizá te vuelvas más
    Un juego de puzzles 3D, muy al estilo Portal o Qube.
    Es un juego sumamente fácil y se termina en menos de 2hs.
    Sin embargo es de esos pocos juegos que sientes que te deja algo al terminarlo...quizá te vuelvas más creativo al terminar este juego.
  16. Nov 13, 2019
    Amazing game! Graphics are amazing, easy to control and interesting mechanics! Although the game is slightly buggy it is still a blast to play!
  17. Nov 14, 2019
    I don't know what all the people saying "it doesn't have a story" are talking about. They told the story they wanted to tell, and personally I enjoyed that far more than if they made it "deep" or bent it to what other people might have wanted to see. The only reason this isn't a 10 is because I ran into a single bug that made me re play part of a level. The overall graphics execution isI don't know what all the people saying "it doesn't have a story" are talking about. They told the story they wanted to tell, and personally I enjoyed that far more than if they made it "deep" or bent it to what other people might have wanted to see. The only reason this isn't a 10 is because I ran into a single bug that made me re play part of a level. The overall graphics execution is amazing, except for their lack of efficient shadow maps or whatever in a random room somewhere. The overall gameplay is one of the most unique things I've experienced.

At multiple places I thought I was stuck, and then I figured out what clever trick they played on me. Most puzzle games I have had to use a walkthrough or tutorial to figure out, but not this one. Puzzles in this were perfectly made to be figured out not instantly, but after some work. Although its playtime is only around 4 hours, those hours are totally worth it.

Overall pros: Incredibly unique, fun as a casual puzzle game, engaging but not hardcore story.

Overall cons: Occasionally glitchy, some FPS drops, shorter than many games at the same price point.

You should get it if: You don't want to play a normal game, you want a completely new concept, you liked portal or inception.

You shouldn't get it if: You don't like games that don't play fair, you get frustrated easily, you are pinching pennies and want 20 hours of entertainment for $20
  18. Nov 25, 2019
    Superluminal is a fun and confusing puzzle game that's sure to make you think about your approach to many different obstacles. Without going too much in to detail, it's a journey of the mind that really forces you to wake up. Easily this is one of the best games post 2010.
  19. Dec 2, 2019
    It's a mindbending game with inspiration from the Stanley parable I believe. very good, but short i finished it in one sitting.
  20. Nov 29, 2019
    Good idea. Interesting mechanics. But it more like a tech demo than a puzzle game. You can do different interesting things with stuff in the game but puzzles are very easy to solve and it's all very linear. The game is also very short. Story is simple and doesn't deserve attention. Environments are pretty simple too. Nothing beautiful. Music is just OK. If not for "out of the box thinking"Good idea. Interesting mechanics. But it more like a tech demo than a puzzle game. You can do different interesting things with stuff in the game but puzzles are very easy to solve and it's all very linear. The game is also very short. Story is simple and doesn't deserve attention. Environments are pretty simple too. Nothing beautiful. Music is just OK. If not for "out of the box thinking" mechanics than it would have been 5/10 or even less. Expand
  21. Dec 2, 2019
    Superliminal is a game that tries to do too much with its unique game mechanic of perspective. The first hour feels fresh and exciting because of its concept. The idea of shifting depth and field of view to make things shrink or grow in size is an awesome mechanic. It is still invigorating to move puzzle blocks to get bigger and see what potential routes I could do, if I wanted to speedSuperliminal is a game that tries to do too much with its unique game mechanic of perspective. The first hour feels fresh and exciting because of its concept. The idea of shifting depth and field of view to make things shrink or grow in size is an awesome mechanic. It is still invigorating to move puzzle blocks to get bigger and see what potential routes I could do, if I wanted to speed run this later. Unfortunately, this game has a big problem on its lack of depth. Beyond that first hour, you'll be doing similar puzzles where the "perspective" mechanic starts feeling mundane with nothing new coming to the forefront unless its something completely different (e.g. East/West Puzzle). Many of the new puzzles you'll experience only come during the 3rd act of the game, and are one offs. This is a big issue because that relinquishes the notion of learning, which is integral to puzzle games, because you'll never use that new knowledge ever again.

Also, this game's "story" is not really a story. It initially feels like something out The Stanley Parable because of its reverb-heavy, omniscient voice. Except, they replaced the humor and wit with parental lecturing. One could argue that the exposition dump in the 3rd act of this game could be the story, but the fact it comes so late makes me believe that the story was more an afterthought. It does kinda piece things altogether, but when you have no real foundation of what is occurring, I believe its best to scrap the story. I think the game's story would have been far more cohesive and streamlined if players are given the choice to figure out the underlying story through the puzzles and items that can read/picked up (i.e. The Witness).

When it comes to visuals of the game, it does run pretty hard for me and there was no setting changing that I could find with my game. I am a little upset by that. I don't have the strongest system, but I was able to run at 60FPS without screen-tearing. The landscapes are pretty well detailed and look nice. It looks very similar to textures from The Beginner's Guide. It's by no means ugly, but it's nothing to shout about either. I cannot speak much about sound, but I did find the game's base settings to be quite loud.

Can I recommend this game? No. The concept of superliminal is pretty cool, but its an incredibly short game that gets tiring pretty fast. I hope that a larger company is able to take the Superliminal Guys and make it a triple AAA title that could be a spiritual successor to Portal. That would be an amazing product, and could be one of the greatest puzzle games in the 2000s. As for right now, I cannot recommend it because its too short and tedious for those who are fans of puzzle games.

5.5/10: Wait for absolute bargain-bin sales.

1. CD-Action
    Jan 15, 2020
    The moment when the puzzles get really interesting, the game unfortunately starts to wrap itself up. A fun but short experience. [02/2020, p.67]
  2. Dec 16, 2019
    It might not be the toughest puzzler out there or the most highly polished, and it is true that some puzzles do tend to repeat themselves. None of that matters, however, because this is such a thoroughly unique experience that everyone should taste. The first day this came out, a clip of it went viral and reached the front page of Reddit. It wasn't a speedrun or glitch or anything like that. It was just someone playing the game. That's the kind of novelty this title has, and it is absolutely worth your time to go out and experience it for yourself.
  3. Dec 12, 2019
    Compared to other puzzle games, Superliminal doesn’t necessarily feel like it stands out. However, its use of perspective is incredibly well-executed, and provides a nice mental exercise for those willing to give it a try.