6.9

1. Sep 5, 2019
    Ugh. Self-Indulgent Faux Hollywood Writing you can’t escape from. Lack of basic interface mechanics that would drive any gameplayer who actually focus tests this game to short-circuit the long tedious stretches (7-8 minutes of video! Add PLAY FROM BEGINNING/FAST REWIND, it’s common sense) rather than endure them. “Ending” doesn’t land properly. I liked Her Story, but that story (andUgh. Self-Indulgent Faux Hollywood Writing you can’t escape from. Lack of basic interface mechanics that would drive any gameplayer who actually focus tests this game to short-circuit the long tedious stretches (7-8 minutes of video! Add PLAY FROM BEGINNING/FAST REWIND, it’s common sense) rather than endure them. “Ending” doesn’t land properly. I liked Her Story, but that story (and definitely not this one) wouldn’t be worth it if it wasn’t interactive. Regret purchasing, should have waited for Steam reviews to roll in vs. publication critics. Expand
  2. Aug 23, 2019
    Hi to everybody i just felt alone when my brother got to Canada so i waited to play this game so i can release my feelings . you know nowadays we do not see many games which gives us stories and some kind of looking to life in other hand telling lies is a masterpiece for people like me who had much more bad moments than good moments in their life. enjoy it and i hope to see the new Silent Hill too
  3. Aug 30, 2019
    So much bugs. No new patch in steam. I dont know HER STORY WAS MASTERPIECE . This game is BRUH. When you just go forward in the video. Next videos just go so fast and you cant stop it. The game isn´t finished it. But Money Come on to my pocket. I dont care. Dont buy it.
  4. Sep 16, 2019
    If you liked Her Story at all you should play Telling Lies. If you like visual novels or detective work at all, you should play Telling Lies.
  5. Oct 19, 2019
    Same system as "Her story" : good story but the interface is awful :

- why am I forced to rewind videos while stop, start buttons could have prevented me from rewinding a 7 min video ? - only 5 results from a search even if there are more occurences with the chosen keyword ! - impossible to watch 2 videos in the same time, very useful to link 2 conversations. Really, if NSA
    Same system as "Her story" : good story but the interface is awful :

Really, if NSA analysts use such outdated tools, rogues and terrorists don't need to worry ! These amateurish errors spoil the gameplay.
  6. Dec 30, 2019
    A well layered story with superb acting, very fascinating if you can tolerate the flawed interface.
  7. Sep 17, 2019
    Perfect example of where UI and basic game response kills whatever story being told, but story is not good anyway (unfortunately, after HerStory expected much better)

Generally favorable reviews - based on 34 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 23, 2019
    Telling Lies is a desktop thriller that takes a bit too much to be in gear and suffers from avoidable technical intricacy, but if taken with the right amount of patience,it gifts us with a story of love and violence, fear and lies, with credible and admirably interpreted characters.
  2. Oct 8, 2019
    As a successor of Her Story, Telling Lies succeeds in delivering a deep and varied story with what is essentially the same system. However, whether that story is full of surprises or not, depends hugely on the player’s reasoning powers.
  3. Sep 23, 2019
    In sum, Telling Lies represents a niche genre that explores interactive storytelling in a very unique way. The game’s director, Sam Barlow, evolved the Her Story formula, but at a cost. After all, what makes the game so good also reveals its flaws. The ending, for example, can feel very anticlimactic depending on how you uncover specific videos. Still, as the saying goes, “Life is a journey, not a destination.” And Telling Lies is quite a journey — hopefully, one that will inspire many more story-driven games to come. Now go, awaken the sleuth inside you.