7.3

1. Aug 23, 2018
    The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit is a slice-of-life adventure game set in the same universe as Life is Strange. Its protagonist is Chris, an elementary school kid who plays around in his house as Captain Spirit while his dad gets drunk while watching a basketball game.

This doesn’t really feel like a complete story; it ends on a cliffhanger, and really doesn’t feel like it has much of a resolution. It seems more like an ad for Life is Strange 2, which the end of the game promises that Chris will return in.

The game is melancholic, with Chris making the best of his situation while his dad is an alcoholic mess who wants to care for Chris, but not so much that he doesn’t want to get drunk and angry at the world. The gameplay mostly consists of Chris wandering around the house and its immediate environment outside, solving some simple puzzles/tasks, while having a couple conversations/interactions with his dad.

The whole thing is very light and very short, and doesn’t really have a whole lot of payoff.

This isn’t really something I’d recommend to most people, but it sounds like it is going to tie into Life is Strange 2. If you were a fan of the first game, and are planning on getting the second, this might be worth checking out. Otherwise, I wouldn’t really suggest this to people – a lot of people would walk away feeling like it didn’t go anywhere/ended just as it was starting to get interesting.
  2. Jun 26, 2018
    Using denuvo cause some problems, but publishers are always worried for their games sales and using drm is understandable, BUT THIS IS A FREE DEMO! why denuvo must be paid for nothing and why we must deal with these problems in a free demo? this is crazy
  3. Aug 10, 2019
    Being a free game I should just be grateful and there's nothing to say to stop you getting this at all but doesn't mean I can't say anything negative about it.

Coming off the amazing Life is Strange and Before the Storm, we now have a teaser of sorts getting us ready for Life is Strange 2 which recently released episode 3 of 5 so this game has been out over a year now and I must say it didn't do a good job getting me interested for season 2's release.

The graphics have been much improved over the previous games but it's a far less interesting story and playing as a small 8-10 year old boy, his interactions with the world can be lost on the older generations (like me though I found it mildly entertaining) and those that don't have a hyper active imagination but I do get it's charm which I know some players will love.

His family dynamic is both believable and tragic but the interesting dialogue options were few and far between and just not engaging enough and at the time, wanted them to be over just to progress the story and get back to the slightly mundane tasks this kid has set himself to relieve the boredom of the day. Shame he seems to offset some of that boredom on to me.

You'll get about 2 hours out of this game which by the end, just didn't do it's job in getting me interested for Season 2 or anything involving this kids world, but being a big fan of the original series, it has massive shoes to fill and I feel that's not too much to ask and I'm not feeling it here but it is trying and going in it's own and new direction.

I do recommend this but mainly because it's free and does follow the narrative choice based game I crave but even though this "teaser" is free, just wasn't enough.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Oct 25, 2018
    By finding extraordinary in completely ordinary situations (there are no supernatural elements in The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, and there are actually no real adventures either) Dontnod reminded me why I fell in love with the studio. [09/2018, p.54]
  2. Jul 30, 2018
    A very short, but lovingly narrated adventure, skillfully combining serious and funny topics.
  3. Jul 13, 2018
    A worthy (and free) successor to Life is Strange, and an intriguing teaser for the full sequel. Dontnod have improved on most accounts and look to draw in new fans with this prologue.