7.9

1. Sep 26, 2018
    The first one still the best. Ending choices of the second game dont matter. Canary betrayal plot is dropped. Ludin and Vognirs death plot is dropped. Alette is still a Rambo and wins battles duo with the scald. Ivers battles can give you a pause until you figure out that stonesinger and strength buff + mender and armor restore can net you 20/50 monsters. And with the heroics? An overkill.The first one still the best. Ending choices of the second game dont matter. Canary betrayal plot is dropped. Ludin and Vognirs death plot is dropped. Alette is still a Rambo and wins battles duo with the scald. Ivers battles can give you a pause until you figure out that stonesinger and strength buff + mender and armor restore can net you 20/50 monsters. And with the heroics? An overkill. Rivers of renown you dont know who to spend on because the rest dont matter. In the first game everyone mattered because you had not that many characters and after dealing with second waves and its randomness while being half dead, you could have injuries, possible limited supplies and had to rotate your squad. Expand
  2. Aug 23, 2018
    The ending is somewhat disappointing and unless you played the two previous games recently you will feel a little out of the loop. Everything else is the same as the first 2 though. Really you should definitely not play this out of sequence.
  3. Jun 2, 2020
    This game is much more weaker than the previous ones. I didn't even finish it.
  4. Jul 29, 2018
    What a letdown.

What a letdown.

When the original game came out, I was a massive fan. Beautiful music and art style, simple, but well crafted turn-based fighting, challenging resource management, great story, meaningful choices, many options to take. Then the second game came, and it was noticeably weaker. Gone were the managing of food, morale, units reached the soft level-cap, stopping any real advancement, making the fights easy. It still had the art, the fun combat, and had huge enemy variety, but it also featured false choices. You could refuse somebody, but she tagged along for the journey anyway - so why ask my opinion about it? The lowest point was the mustache-twirling villain: Rugga. He was so obviously evil, he could have tattooed it on his forehead, yet he was so cunning and devious, he somehow always cut in front. But the story took a good turn: it started flirting with the idea, that the kind-hearted mage couple might just hide some pretty evil secrets. It ended on a massive triple cliffhanger, but I was still ready to tag along to see the ending.
    And I walked away massively disapointed.
    Every sequel stripped features from the original: this time, there is no resource management, or morale. They are gone. The caravan is now moving across blighted, dead land - so the art-style, while still impressive, has to show you dull, featureless landscapes. Choices are much less meaningful, characters are forgotten, plotlines are dropped. The battles come around being challenging again, by facing overpowered enemy, who also outnumber you. This time there are no WAR options - but if you win a fight, you can face another wave - for that you can deploy a new team.
    Rugga is such a comical villain, that I fully expected him to kidnap poor Alette, and tie her in front of a speeding train, while laughing maniacally. His deviousness is almost comical - and everyone is powerless to stop him, for some... reason... Also Oddlief turnes dumb, Iver turnes nice and optimistic, Eyewind turnes... evil for two seconds.

Mild spoilers!

The worst, however, was the ending. It is one thing, that the game shies away from the more mature ending, instead, the two magicans were just long suffering good guys, not villains at all. Okay, no biggie. But the ending itself is so abrupt, I couldn't believe it. Sure, it brings an end to this story, and it is largely up to you, how it plays out. But you don't actually get to know, what will happen 5 minutes after the end credits roll. What happened with Bolverk? What happened with Alette or Rook, if you kept them alive? What happened with the other 100 people I saved?

End of spoilers

Also a smaller complaint is the fact, that every game takes 5-6 hours to finish, totaling to 16-17 hours of gameplay. 40% of it is you, watching people slowly march across beautiful landscapes, doing nothing. There is no reason, to release it in three parts, other than to make 3 times as much money. But I like Versus Evil, so I hope they will use the money to make more games.
    If I were to rate the series as a whole, it would total into a 7/10: a good game, that any fan of tactical turn-based games should try. But individually, the first game is by far the best. That is an 8-8.5/10, the second is 6-6.5/10 - that leaves me with the third one. And due to it's bare gameplay, stripped features, the most annoying villain ever, and an unsatisfactory ending, I rate it a 5/10. An average game. Certainly the weakest in this otherwise good, high quality series.

5/10 - average
  5. Aug 17, 2018
    I'm confused. The first banner saga was fresh. The second one was good. But the third? I feel like it's made because of someone needed to milk this little brand. It's like going on a vacation trip only to see tired people trying to make your holidays pleasant but they actually don't care. Maybe if you don't want to make a certain game don't make that game? Such wise advice by me. II'm confused. The first banner saga was fresh. The second one was good. But the third? I feel like it's made because of someone needed to milk this little brand. It's like going on a vacation trip only to see tired people trying to make your holidays pleasant but they actually don't care. Maybe if you don't want to make a certain game don't make that game? Such wise advice by me. I probably won't buy banner saga 4 after this experience. (I know that it should be the end of the trilogy but with that brand milking to the death they may try with next one) Expand
  6. Aug 22, 2018
    The 3-rd part is a huge disappointment.
    1) Dialogues are written with the left foot. Boring, uncharismatic, with mistakes and, at times, with complete absence of the slightest sense.
  7. Dec 2, 2018
    I liked everything in the game! The main thing is that it is unusual and differs from many modern games.
  8. Aug 13, 2018
    The 3-rd part is a huge disappointment.
    2) If you don't have save files from previous chapters, the authors formed the most disgusting version of the previous decisions for you. [spoiler] The bridge of the warls is blown up. We did not take the child of the dredges in the first part. etc [/ spoiler]
    3) Backgrounds and music are mediocre. Music - background noise. The backgrounds are faded and unattractive.
    4) The final, though logical, but terribly banal. [spoiler] Say "Hello" to Prince of Persia (2008). [/ spoiler]

Outcome:
    - We do not have a choice, we have to buy to find out the end of the story.
    - Developers know this too, and therefore we got what we got.
    - The third part gets 4 points out of 10. The first and second parts are 9 out of 10.
    - If you are not familiar with the series, definitely take the first part, and then decide for yourself shell you continue or not.
  9. Jul 27, 2018
    What an incredible ending to an amazing story. This is how you finish a trilogy!

Your decisions from two games weigh heavy, new mechanics complicate existing tactics and the visuals and soundtrack have been kicked up to 11.

Stoic should be proud of this fantastic game.
  10. Aug 6, 2018
    Banner Saga series became very special to me. Sure, there are some minor weaknesses, but for me they don't really matter much because they don't disturb my immersion with this game.

I love Banner Saga series for the characters and their development. And this development depends on your decisions in the game, some of them are very hard to make. Often there is no right or wrong because every character has a different story and, like in real life, their own truth in it.

Banner Saga achieves to convey the message in a beautifully designed world and the matching soundtrack strikes in the heart to make you feel as a part of the journey that it takes you with.

I love the game because I can grasp a bit of it for real life. Some decisions, not all, makes you think about ideas you normally wouldn't think about because you haven't been in a situation that required it.

I'll keep Banner Saga in memory because it is a piece of art entirely and a figurehead as to what a video game can be instead of being dull and meaningless. It's the opposite and I am going to play this one again some time. The only thing that I would have wished for in approach to the maximum of immersion is dubbing the characters.
  11. Feb 15, 2019
    Неплохое завершение серии. Единственное, что концовка подкачала и очень не хватило качественного и красочного эпилога. Не совсем ясно, зачем нужно было ближке к концу отрисовывать раскрытый ранее и полностью понятный твист, и при этом никак не отрисовывать эпилог, да хотя бы текстом и картинками выдать. Но это такое.

По технической части. Стоит дождаться патчей. Игра умудрилась вылететь

По технической части. Стоит дождаться патчей. Игра умудрилась вылететь 8 раз и в большинстве случаев после распределения уровней персонажей и битв с несколькими волнами врагов, что доставило определённые неудобства из-за необходимости делать всё заново.

Что касается русской локализации. Ей занималась не отечественные локализаторы, а польская компания Testronic. Вышло средненько. Во-первых, в тексте встречается достаточно опечаток, ошибок и косяков с тэгами, попадаются даже строки с пометками локализаторов (в духе "Саня, что это, переведи", но более коротко и официально). Во-вторых, сложилось впечатление, что текст был очень криво разделен, либо переводился вразнобой, либо какие-то строки переводились гораздо позже уже другими переводчиками, иначе сложно объяснить, как в подряд идущем тексте сначала персонаж изъясняется вполне ясно, а во второй фразе уже так, будто переводящий фразу человек не понимал, что происходит, да ещё пол персонажей перепутал; туда же идут разорванные строки, когда предложения и куски текста повторяются в двух диалоговых окнах, словно текст обновлялся, строки видоизменялись (старый текст перемещался в новую строку), а в переводе и старый текст оставался, и новый переносился, в итоге получилась каша. Исходя из указанного ранее, можно предположить, что в переводе не было редактора и корректировщика. По итогу локализация всё ещё уступает первой части, но стоит признать, что гораздо лучше второй, где она была просто на уровне грунта.
  12. May 18, 2020
    I felt myself as if I'm inside of a fantasy novel... It was truly epic! I really advise this game! 9hrs on record.
  13. Dec 9, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Favorite Thing: A great end to an epic journey.
    Least Favorite Thing: (!!!!SPOILER!!!!) Alette, who has been with me for three games, gets killed almost as an afterthought and the game quickly moves on from her.

Date Completed: 2018-11-24
    Playtime: 9h
    Enjoyment: 8/10
    Recommendation: If you played the first two you mostly know what to expect. If you haven't you should!
  14. Jan 12, 2019
    Had some fun.
    DIsappointment ending. Combat is completely unbalanced now. Too short. Not enough animation (they advertise their game with in-game hand drawn animation, but there is 1 minute of it total).
  15. Nov 22, 2018
    The Banner Saga 3 has less resource management and more impactful choices than previous games of the series. There are few bugs that cause crushes during loading, I personally had two in 10 hours of playthrough and they can be cured by reloading the last save.
    Overall, despite it's technical issues, it's a great finale for one of the best modern game series.
  16. Jul 29, 2020
    ‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Generally favorable reviews - based on 51 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 31, 2018
    A successful ending to the trilogy, which is also the best game of the series. Stoics managed to finish the entire saga marvelously. [Issue#288]
  2. CD-Action
    Dec 4, 2018
    With its dated, slow combat system, no intention to evolve the series, bugs, and no tension, The Banner Saga 3 is sadly just a game you tick off to get closure, not a spectacular finale. [10/2018, p.82]
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Sep 26, 2018
    It’s Part 3 of the trilogy, so if you’ve missed the previous two, there’s no reason to play this one first. But if you’ve been anxiously awaiting the finale of the story that began 4 years ago – The Banner Saga 3 won’t disappoint. [Issue#232, p.58]