7.6

1. Aug 12, 2015
    Has less humor and fun than the previous and more of the annoying type puzzles. After a while you get bored of trying to find out what the game wants you to do. What's more there are a lot of bugs (I have the 'finished' version, not the early access), so sometimes you don't know that what you try isn't okay because it's not the solution or because it is a program error...
    There are other
    There are other bugs, clipping errors, very often when an ingame video is playing and it won't stop. You can't select anything or leave the scene, so you have to reload last save. Also the inventory hides a portion of the scene behind it and you can't move out of the way. What is the meaning of the early access if not fixing these bugs?
    Disappointment after the 1st game.
  2. Aug 25, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed and finished the first Book of Unwritten Tales, but, sadly, only the graphics have improved from its predecessor, while the rest of the game has gone downhill. The humour seems more forced than the first one, and a lot of the puzzles are incredibly frustrating and seem to require a trial-and-error approach to solve.

One example - one of the characters you play as, Wilbur, gets tasked with cleaning up the school of magic he works at, along with a surly, unhelpful troll janitor. He has to get a broom out of a locked display cabinet, but the key is nowhere to be found. To get the key, you have to wedge a coin into the entrance door, then call the troll janitor to fix the "stuck" door. While his back is turned to you, you then notice a set of keys on his belt which you can then remove and use to open the display cabinet and finally get the broom. Firstly, how the hell are you supposed to figure out that you need to wedge a coin into the entrance door, and secondly, how are you expected to know that the troll janitor has a set of keys on him when you can't even see them initially??? No hints whatsoever are given and it seems like you are often expected to take a trial-and-error approach and just waggle random objects from your inventory around the screen in the hope of seeing a prompt to use the object somewhere!

I had to Google the solution to this one as well as two other puzzles which had me absolutely stumped. Eventually I just got completely bored and uninstalled the game while trying to figure out how to get all the parts for the golem and getting hopelessly stuck once again.

The game looks wonderfully crafted, but really, the puzzle design is piss-poor. I was able to finish the first Book of Unwritten Tales without looking up any hints online, so why now all of a sudden do I have to resort to continually turning to Google or YouTube for help???

1. May 28, 2015
    Unwritten Tales 2 comes up unfavourably when compared to the classic games it tries to emulate, contemporary titles that have tried to do a similar thing, à la Broken Sword 5, and games that have tried to modernise the genre such as The Walking Dead. In that context, it would perhaps have been better if those ‘unwritten tales’ remained as such.
  2. Apr 24, 2015
    The story is short on emotions, the main characters lost their charm, the script is a messy patchwork, but the worst flaw is that the gameplay is repetitive and sluggish.
  3. CD-Action
    Apr 1, 2015
    The sequel revived my faith in point’n’click games by proving that we do not have to settle for run-of-the-mill dialogues and flat characters. King Art is a seriously talented studio that could make a game about a snail crossing the street and still make me laugh regularly. [04/2015, p.54]