6.5

1. Oct 13, 2017
    Skyrim special edition is a re-release of the poplar game Skyrim, released on November 11th, 2011. The special edition, released 5 years later includes the original game with better graphics, all DLCs and a whole lot of over hype. All Bethesda has done is improved its graphics, then put a price tag on it.

When starting up the game, the nostalgic memories that the main theme brings to my mind of the original game made me smile, as I sing along with the male choir. When entering the game to the execution in Helgen, I noted how good the graphics had improved since the original, although it does lack the quality that mods had brought to the game when I had played it previously. The controls are the same, letting my sub conscience take over to sprint and escape Helgen. However, the gameplay is still the same: The massive speeches by the Jarl of Whiterun, which makes the user just want to quick save and go on a killing spree; the boring grind of useless skills to accomplish a task you originally thought was quite awesome, but then realise you had just wasted a massive portion of your life. Without mods, all this game is is a repeat of the original. Sure, it was a great game in its prime, but surely good things should be just left alone, letting us remember it as a masterpiece?

Apart from the improved graphics, giving it a decent look (although there are mods that have done a greater job at achieving this) the gameplay itself supplies no other difference, apart from a couple of bug fixes, however there are still many left within the game. The repetitive nature of the side quests is still mind-numbing for those players wanting to complete the game as far as they can is still there, as well as the boredom of trying to level up useless skills.

Overall, the gameplay is still good… bringing back the nostalgia of a great game, however this does mean it I repetitive, and while it did let you replay great memories, it also means that you have to replay the bad games
  2. Oct 29, 2016
    No real improvement in graphics. The Hi res official patch from Bethesda for vanilla Skyrim is probably about the level this achieves.

Godrays and HDR used all over the place like the designer was on a trip when deciding where to put them. Glaring off walls and buildings in a blinding bright light that obscures the textures - Which is just as well as they are barely better than vanilla. Simple fixes like allowing for modern PC monitor sizes above 1920x1080 (who buys monitors with a res that low any more these days?)

Yes,you can fix the in game mostly with an ini file change, however the menus remain largely unusable with elements unreachable off the top and bottom of them. Shocking that a remaster doesn't fix simple things like accommodating modern monitor sizes.

Expecting PC users to still be using the poorly named "Full HD" which now looks like watching a block puzzle rather than playing a game like Skyrim.

Perhaps 64 bit mod support (Will modders bother to repeat their work on such an old game?) and DX11's box of tricks might help a little in the coming months, but for now, if you own original Skyrim and even just the official HD patch - this isn't worth it in any way shape or form.

If you are running SKY UI and other mods on your original then stepping back to play this will be a disappointment.

My advice is, until or unless the modders fix this - steer well clear. It's just about worth its price of free so I give it a 5.

I don't feel entitled to more BTW -It's free so no issue in terms of value proposition.
    I just think this is such a wasted opportunity - such a lazy conversion it deserves no more than average.

Shovelware - even free shovelware - is still shovelware and a score above average simple isn't deserved.
  3. Oct 28, 2016
    This gets a five, because this is a rating for the PC version, not a console version and irrespective of those fanbois who get their knickers in a twist because they don't like people rating the game as it is. Frankly, there is little point in upgrading, as you can get better graphics from self installed mods.

Is the game going to be more stable when modded? Well, not if my experience

Is the game going to be more stable when modded? Well, not if my experience with the incredibly buggy, 64 bit crashfest called Fallout 4 is anything to go by and after years of being lied to by gaming companies, I'm not going to take anybody else's word for it.

But the main reason that this game gets a five is that they Devs have removed achievements if you wish to mod your game even slightly. Yes, you can mod achievements back in, but given that modding has been an integral part of the whole Elder Scrolls experience since I started playing the series with Morrowind back in 2002, it is highly insulting to the gaming public to remove achievements just because you've installed even a single mod.

Like many modders, I mod my game to make it far more difficult, or complex than the vanilla version and achievements make a good way of tracking progress that you've made towards different goals and provide a good point of focus for gameplay in a sandbox game. Needless to say, mods like the unofficial patches are essential in order to fix the numerous bugs that Bethesda always ships along with their games and are then too lazy to bother fixing.

Frankly, it demonstrates a complete lack of respect when developers think that its cool to give the middle finger to their highly motivated and amazing modding community in this way and it certainly doesn't make me want to play their "special edition" any longer than it took to realise that it does far less than my existing graphics mods already do.

Of course, another reason this gets a five is that Bethesda seem to have made no attempt whatsoever to fix the literally thousands of bugs and glitches that are still present and unpatched in the original Skyrim. Who gives a toss about graphics if they've been too lazy to fix basic errors that modders have known about and rectified years ago?
  4. Oct 28, 2016
    Greedy Bethesda. This game should be no more than $39.99 at this point. I mean Come On! This game originally came out in 2011. I'm not buying it for this price just not gonna. Bethesda has been doing more and more recently that makes it seem as if they now care more about the money than they do their customers.
  5. Oct 28, 2016
    For me, there is no fun in collecting gold, materials, etcetera, while a simple -1 second -console command will do the trick. And it doesn't disable the achievements. This concept doesn't work for me. The game looks very beautiful, though
  6. Nov 1, 2016
    El gran juego de 2011 ha vuelto, aunque su vuelta podría haber estado un poco mejor.
    La mejora gráfica se nota, sí, pero no creo que haya sido suficiente como para haber hecho un remake.
    A nivel jugable sigue siendo lo mismo, sus épicas histórias y su nivel excisito de fantasía y RPG. Sin duda, si no has jugado al Skyrim original, te recomiendo jugar a este, eso sí, a la versión de PC,
    Sin duda, si no has jugado al Skyrim original, te recomiendo jugar a este, eso sí, a la versión de PC, porque en un futuro con la ayuda de los mods mejorará mucho (La versión de PS4 está limitada a 1GB de mods, y XBOX ONE a 5GB)
  7. Nov 23, 2016
    The improvements to the engine are really good. Ok, it's x64 and has the potential for years of modding.
    They had been very clear that they won't release a TES 6 game for a long time.
    They had been very clear that they won't release a TES 6 game for a long time.

I think Bethesda still have a chance to lift up the score for this release. A remaster without bugs fixed? They even know the entire community would help them catalogue the problems, in fact they are well listed by the players and there is an unofficial patch to address this.

I received the game for free, but the list price should be at least 25% lower.
    I cannot give a score lower than 7 because for a new player could be a good buy, it also includes the DLCs. Skyrim itself is a solid 10, but for the SE someone expects at least the bugs fixed.
  8. Jan 29, 2018
    The best feature of this game is the new engine. Modding the game on a 64-bit engine gives you way more possibilities. To get it for free on PC is also great.

About the graphics: They have slightly increased the visuals, but let's be honest Skyrim is about modding. The vanilla textures are only interesting until a better mod is released. The reason why PS3 or Xbox user with all DLCs

The reason why PS3 or Xbox user with all DLCs don’t get it for free is because PS4 and XBOX One is another platform. It might be frustrating but understandable.

The biggest negative point is the denial of community mods. The achievement disabling and not communicating with the most important mod creator such as SKSE and USKP. And don't forget the Creation Club ;^).

In conclusion it is nice for free and enables more possibilities for mods, but the way they released it was a failure.
  9. Dec 13, 2020
    07/10 --------------------------------------- -------- ---------------------
  10. Jun 25, 2017
    I don't understand all the hate on this version. It is Skyrim, with better graphics. That's all. Now, is it worth buying? I bought the game, but to be honest, it has little more to offer than the original didn't. With mods, you could get a very similar experience. They saw an opportunity to make more money and that's it. It is still a good game, the graphics are good, but the game'sI don't understand all the hate on this version. It is Skyrim, with better graphics. That's all. Now, is it worth buying? I bought the game, but to be honest, it has little more to offer than the original didn't. With mods, you could get a very similar experience. They saw an opportunity to make more money and that's it. It is still a good game, the graphics are good, but the game's physics look very old compared to what we have today. It is still midly enjoyable. 7 out of 10 for me. Expand
  11. Feb 4, 2018
    Excellent: bunch of mods (some of them are super fun), DLC included (for achievement hunters & story/quest lovers)

Very good: graphic (nice visual medieval surroundings little torn apart with some glitches) Good: longer duration (because of DLC's) Bad: gameplay (nothing worth buying it except DLC?s are included; glitches & bugs are still there) Terrible: aforementioned problems

Good: longer duration (because of DLC's)

Terrible: aforementioned problems (after 6 years are still there untouched & unsolved)

Undecided: survival mod (haven't played yet)

Overview: Better graphics packaged with DLC's & salted with mods. For modding community & collectors.
  12. Oct 15, 2017
    Make it a "visually improved" version of a great game, have made the mistake of qualifying for its original version, and not for the quality of the remaster.

Same bugs, same game, nothing new in exchange for a visual retouch: 5.
  13. Feb 11, 2018
    Mechanically, this is the best game in the series so far, or at least the most engaging. Unfortunately, its story and irreverence to the established lore let it down in many respects. The middlingly-written characters don't help, either. The lack of color for the sake of being "more edgy and realistic" was a poor choice, as Oblivion shows us that more color was definitely a good thing,Mechanically, this is the best game in the series so far, or at least the most engaging. Unfortunately, its story and irreverence to the established lore let it down in many respects. The middlingly-written characters don't help, either. The lack of color for the sake of being "more edgy and realistic" was a poor choice, as Oblivion shows us that more color was definitely a good thing, with many popular mods offering solutions to this issue(indicating there was obviously a demand for a splash of color in the first place). Overall, I would recommend this game only if you have the know-how to mod(but who doesn't? Nexus mods makes it quick and easy). Expand
  14. May 11, 2018
    As a standalone vanilla game, the "special" edition certainly does improve in certain areas. For instance, the game has received a graphical update, and the executable is now 64-bit, allowing it to address more than 4,294,967,296 bytes, but that's about it. Some claim the engine is also more stable than it used to be, and, while I have had the same experience, I can't objectively say forAs a standalone vanilla game, the "special" edition certainly does improve in certain areas. For instance, the game has received a graphical update, and the executable is now 64-bit, allowing it to address more than 4,294,967,296 bytes, but that's about it. Some claim the engine is also more stable than it used to be, and, while I have had the same experience, I can't objectively say for sure.

As a general rule, I would recommend buying this version if you don't mind the current lack of mods and plan on playing vanilla-style. However, since many mods have not yet been ported to this "special" edition, mod users may wish to play the old 2011 version instead.

Finally, for those that already own the original version from 2011 but didn't get the "special" edition for free, know that, aside from the graphical update and increased memory address capability of the new executable, there is little to gain in spending another $40-$60 to get this version; I would wait for a sale, get it elsewhere for a lower price or just skip it altogether.
  15. Apr 5, 2019
    It is more or less just a graphic update to the original one. A bit of bug fixing would have been nice. If you haven't played it yet, you can grab it, it's still a good game. Otherwise stick to "Oldrim", because there are more mods on the nexus.
  16. Mar 17, 2020
    Süper bir oyun modlayarak oynayin lütfen jhwhhwbwbwbbsbsbsbsbbşbsgsvsvvsvsvsvvsvsvsvvsvsvsvsvsv
  17. Sep 11, 2020
    This game is very good, I play every day, because the world is so big, but have some points I don't like, first the bugs, because the game have so many bugs, they can be funny, but they can break your game, and this is a remaster, but they haven't correct many bugs, and I now there are mods that correct this bugs, but isn't official, and because this you need to install these corrections,This game is very good, I play every day, because the world is so big, but have some points I don't like, first the bugs, because the game have so many bugs, they can be funny, but they can break your game, and this is a remaster, but they haven't correct many bugs, and I now there are mods that correct this bugs, but isn't official, and because this you need to install these corrections, but this isn't a big problem. And now the graphics, they aren't so different to the original game, and Skyrim is a 2011 game, but this remaster was released in 2016, and I believe they can make a better work in the graphics, again, there are mods that help to make this game more beautiful, but if I want a remaster, I don't want to install mods to make this game more beautiful. Now I have a opinion about a "mechanic" they have introduced the Creation Club, basically paid mods, because in this mechanic, you have Credits to buy, creation (mod) of one house, or a new sword, and this credits are completely paid, you have 100 credits when you play the game in first time, but this is all, if you want another Creation, you need to buy these credits, and I don't want to pay for mods. In my opinion, I like the game, but the bugs, graphics and this paid mods aren't what I want to play, but the game is playable and you will have a lot of fun if you like RPG games. Expand
  18. Nov 10, 2020
    скайрим....................... .......................................................
  19. Mar 10, 2021
    I really like the game: story, the graphics, sound and gameplay are great in respect to the origin release date. I do not have played the predecessors of ES V Skyrim and therefore my genre benchmark ist The Witcher 3. That is the reason why I can not give the game a better rating. :-)

Mixed or average reviews - based on 6 Critic Reviews

1. Games Master UK
    Jan 1, 2017
    The original version with graphics mods installed still looks better, so it's not worth the upgrade. [Christmas 2016, p.73]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 12, 2016
    Purely graphical upgrade with support of the Gen4 console modes that PC owners of the original game and all expansions get for free. [Issue #269]
  3. Nov 11, 2016
    Skyrim is still a great place to get lost in and the visual upgrade is welcome. It perhaps doesn’t go as far as it should and it’s a shame no other aspect of the game got looked at but it’s still well worth your time.