6.1

1. Mar 1, 2016
    The Flame in the Flood is a refreshingly ambitious game that I gravitated toward for its art and sound direction - two developmental aspects that can sell me on the idea of a game, even if the gameplay doesn't necessarily take me to the places that I'd like to go, and TFitF sold me high in those areas. That said, my rating here misrepresents my initial feeling for the game with regard toThe Flame in the Flood is a refreshingly ambitious game that I gravitated toward for its art and sound direction - two developmental aspects that can sell me on the idea of a game, even if the gameplay doesn't necessarily take me to the places that I'd like to go, and TFitF sold me high in those areas. That said, my rating here misrepresents my initial feeling for the game with regard to some of the gameplay mechanics for which I'm still trying to come to some kind of conclusion.

The Flame in the Flood is a great game and deserves high marks, but I did find its unruly, randomized quality and steep learning curve prohibitively difficult and frustrating in the context of playing its campaign mode. While unexpected challenges in games like TFitF make for a fun and replayable experience overall that keeps you guessing about what you should do, how you need to compromise, and what you could change or bring with you for the next playthrough (not unlike FTL), it's been pretty maddening so far, not really being able to fully enjoy what I imagine is a basic storyline thrown over with fun mystery and atmosphere.

And all of this might boil down to some kind of anterior randomness that clumps up playthroughs somewhere along the process of playing. I found myself in the middle of few playthroughs on the easiest setting relatively prepared but ultimately out of luck with regard to the resources, essentially trapped watching myself starve to death or pass out from exhaustion floating down the river because, hey, that's just how that particular game disproportionately shook out. Maybe there wasn't enough food. Maybe you couldn't find building supplies. Hell, maybe there were just too many wolves and warthogs. Frankly, the normal game is so difficult, it's hard for me to imagine the harder difficulty to be all that playable.

All of that said, the game is refreshingly ambitious and cinematic. The art direction is strong, offering a brightly visual look at a game world that is honest and vaguely literary. The sound design also hits hard, helping to generate expansive environments that play with your sense of safety and alarm. Even the game's overall difficulty, which can certainly be prohibitive, seems to take on a charming quality, part of a larger, wild idea, a force with a real soul to it and not entirely unlike the wolves that threaten to tear you down.

Great game, great courage in development, and a fun experience for more hardy gamers.
  2. Feb 28, 2016
    Good interesting game. Artwork is a nice looking but a bit abstact.
    Played it for a few hours and it feels like a game with a lot of love and attention to details while making.
    I really enjoyed playing this game but there were moments where the situations frustrated me, put my on the edge. Very micro management oriented game where you really need to think what to leave behind what to
    Good interesting game. Artwork is a nice looking but a bit abstact.
    Very micro management oriented game where you really need to think what to leave behind what to carry.
    If you are not challenged enough with a regular campaign you have endless one and permadeath one.
    Nicely made little game.
  3. Feb 24, 2016
    Very enjoyable game - artwork is beautiful and the music fits the atmosphere perfectly.

Felt like it had a bit of a steep learning curve, but as soon as I figured out some of the tricks (like don't even try to mess around with Wolves - duh) it was a much better time. Does a great job keeping me a little on edge as I try to decide which items to take and which to leave behind...

Does a great job keeping me a little on edge as I try to decide which items to take and which to leave behind... should I use this resource now, or wait for an emergency.... Very well done in my opinion.
  4. Sep 10, 2019
    Amazing atmosphere with beautiful soundtrack & sound overall makes Flame in the flood unforgettable experience, even with simple story and quite disappointing finale it's still really worth checking out.
  5. Apr 27, 2021
    Excelent game. It was a pleasure to play every single minute. Thrilling story. Clear gameplay and amazing soundtrack!
  6. Feb 7, 2022
    This game introduced me to Chuck Ragan (musician).
    It is a great journey game. If you can ignore questionable visual choices (or if you like me and can enjoy the visuals) then you will face uncompromised survival experience with great music and interesting mechanics.
    This game introduced me to Chuck Ragan (musician).
    But most of all you will face your journey. This game change all we know about survival game (hoarding resources) and give us smart approach, to travel along the river you need to prioritize what to take with you cause your boat couldn`t take it all. I realy enjoy the game with it`s growing difficulty and sense of journey.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 43 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    May 30, 2016
    An experienced traveler will deal with the campaign in 2 hours tops, but gathering experience in a series of adventures in a randomly generated world is the most enjoyable thing here. The moments of triumph and fear that you will experience along the way are reasons enough to give this game a chance despite its many (but not severe) technical issues. [05/2016, p.42]
  2. Apr 28, 2016
    The Flame in The Flood can be seen as a novel of formation nestled in a methapore that turns life into a river. Unfortunately Molasses Flood's first work tries to transmit a deep and manifold message with a not so deep and manifold messenger.
  3. Games Master UK
    Apr 25, 2016
    An impressive shake-up of survival tropes - but dedicated fans of the genre may be left wanting. [Apr 2016, p.74]