6.2

1. Mar 12, 2015
    I'm a grown adult in my mid 30's, I've been playing golf games dating back to the Links PC series in the early 1990's. I've played numerous editions of Tiger Woods on the PS1, PS2 & xBox360. The Golf Club is bar none the greatest golf simulation of all time, and probably the greatest sports sim also.

The beauty of this game lies in the fantastic swing mechanic, which is easy to learn and challenging to master. The physics system is darn near perfect, all of the shots are available from any spot on the course, you can chip, putt, pitch to your liking around the green.

The game being unlicensed is actually a huge plus IMO. The Greg Norman Course Designer is spectacular, and has been improved beyond belief with numerous (free) game updates/patches. New themes have been added, new objects for course design (walls, fences, stairs etc) have been added and the user community has done an unbelievable job creating some truly breathtaking courses. Real courses can be replicated (there's a very good rendition of Augusta National), but the true strength is the original user creations. These are completely free, can be played cross platform, and compromise some of the best looking/playing courses of any game I can remember.

The hours of my life that I've sunk into this game is amazing, and my many other xBoxOne games collect dust now. The guys at HB Studios should be recognized as truly first class game developers, and TGC is a must play for any golf fan out there.

Anybody who negatively rates this game is a goof in my opinion, who doesn't grasp the concept of playing a round with your mates on a Sunday morning. People complain about the graphics, which are darn good, but could be improved on the XB1. The framerate suffers on some courses packed with objects, but it's not a major problem in any way. People who complain the that swing mechanic doesn't reflect the actual golf swing are just failing to come to grips with a "simulation". I thing many people are frustrated by the fact that you can't apply post shot spin control, and there's no magic system that shows you the path of the ball pre-putt. Putting itself is almost perfect, by far the best representation of putting in any golf game to date.

The other complaint I see a lot is the "bare bones" nature of The Golf Club. Just because the game lacks the face of Tiger Woods and a licensed version of Augusta doesn't mean it's "bare bones" in any way. In fact, I would argue the opposite. The depth of this title is actually a strength, it just comes in the form of thousands of (completely free to play) courses instead of buying a new driver shaft that adds 10 yards to your drive.

The true excellence lies in the gameplay itself. It's the first game that replicates the feel of going out and playing 18 with your mates. Well done HB Studios!
  2. Oct 18, 2014
    As a beta tester of this software since feb 2014 I've seen huge improvement for the released version. Please give those guys another year to polish this and you'll be amazed.

You should remember that TGC is not a simulator, it's more like golf is - find your own style to play and feel it, or do not. You may also give us your artistic skills and design. Do 'THE golf course', tools exist.

Since TW08 there hasn't been much choice for PC golf, now we have. Stay away if You hate golf ;)
  3. Aug 29, 2014
    This is an excellent alternative to the EA PGA series. It's tough and you get better by practice. There are no power-ups, or skill building. Everyone is on the same playing field and only the well practiced and skills will play better, just like in real life. Also, cheaters can be identified by how frequently they hit straight shots and their scores will be removed from leaderboards asThis is an excellent alternative to the EA PGA series. It's tough and you get better by practice. There are no power-ups, or skill building. Everyone is on the same playing field and only the well practiced and skills will play better, just like in real life. Also, cheaters can be identified by how frequently they hit straight shots and their scores will be removed from leaderboards as a result.

This game is supposed to represent golf as it is in real life. This isn't a PGA tour title with tournaments, spectators, and grandstands. It's nice relaxing golf like you'd play with your friends or by yourself. I’d take this any day over the poorly animated crowd of people that surround the perimeter of the fairways.

I've spent more time playing this game than the last few PGA Tour games combined. The course creator is really powerful and more intuitive than the others that are out there. If you're smart and pay attention to course ratings and how many times they've been played, it's easy to identify the good courses from the bad. Not to mention the excellent community on the TGC forum and a dedicated site to helping players find good quality golf courses. All courses that are made are shared on all Platforms, PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Not to mention that more tools will be added to the creator as time goes on, as promised by the developer.

Graphics look great, I recently fired up TW 14 the other night and noticed an immediate difference. This game is next gen and looks great. Don't let any of these negative reviews trick you into thinking this game looks like it's 2 generations old, because that is incredibly inaccurate.

Some people will miss the multiplayer lobbies but you are still able to play with your friends live, you can play against ghost balls from anyone on your platform. As someone who has no interest in playing against a stranger live, this is ideal for me but I can understand why others may be put off.

There is no career mode, or heavy customization. But the developer has confirmed that they are currently working on putting something in place to fill that void. The development team have been very helpful and involved on the forum. They have helped individuals troubleshoot issues, they’ve offered tutorials on how to play the game, and they have actually added features that were requested during early access, and have fixed bugs that were reported. They’ve also promised to continue to add more content and tools in the future and are trying to stay away from the yearly release structure of the PGA Tour series.
    This game is my favorite golf game to date, it does have a few rough edges and a few missing features (which aren’t as important as some people claim). This is a great start to a game that will continue to build as time goes on. For half of the price of a PGA Tour game, this was well worth the money.
    Some people may be disappointed for what they get, and they are likely more vocal about their complaints than the people that enjoy the game. So do yourself a favor, go to the game website, watch the tutorials, read the mission statement to the game and do your research before playing the game.

I give this game a 9/10.

Pros:
    -Excellent Course Creator that isn't gimmicky at all.
    -Plays really well and tough. Everybody is on a level playing field and the better players are better because of skill, not because of power-ups and leveled skills.
    -Graphics look really nice on all systems although the Xbox version is only running at 720p.
    -I'm able to play with my friends even if they're not there.

Cons:
    -At the moment Crossfire and SLI are not supported but may be in the future.
    -Some course creators get carried away with their designs and it can cause framerate dips, especially for console versions.
    -No career mode currently (but something is in the pipeline to fill this void)
    -Limited customization, but more will become available as time goes on.
  4. Aug 29, 2014
    It's realistic at its core. Not an arcade game like TW. The course creator in itself is worth the $34.99. But it's much more than that..at this moment there's over 12,000 courses to play. Give it a shot..
  5. Sep 6, 2014
    I wrote bad review about this game a few weeks ago well,I take it all back although still not perfect or near perfect the pc has been shouting out for a golf game since tiger woods 08 here we have it , great things to do course creator is fun and addictive but for me its the community, everyone is so helpful and live turn based play although in places glitchy is great fun.Whats more theI wrote bad review about this game a few weeks ago well,I take it all back although still not perfect or near perfect the pc has been shouting out for a golf game since tiger woods 08 here we have it , great things to do course creator is fun and addictive but for me its the community, everyone is so helpful and live turn based play although in places glitchy is great fun.Whats more the development of this game continues with among other things putting and chipping this is turning out to be the best £23 iv'e ever spent, I highly recommend this if you have the patience to practise and fine tune your play don't expect to pick it up and get it right from your very first shot that will come later isn't that what any form golf is about.give it a try you wont be sorry. Expand
  6. Aug 22, 2014
    This is a very good golf game, some people in the steam forums have decided to hate the game and to even go so far as to try to encourage others to come here and give bad reviews without even playing the full release. Many do not have a PC worthy of running the game properly so just assume that it must be bad for everyone , this is not true, the majority have no problems running the gameThis is a very good golf game, some people in the steam forums have decided to hate the game and to even go so far as to try to encourage others to come here and give bad reviews without even playing the full release. Many do not have a PC worthy of running the game properly so just assume that it must be bad for everyone , this is not true, the majority have no problems running the game and have fun playing it. I have played many golf games and this one is the only one I have every seen that is making an effort to keep everyone`s playing ability the same with no attributes or extra powerful clubs that can be bought with cash, Someone who is new can buy the game and drive the same distance and accuracy as players who have been playing right from the start, so its about golf, not how long you have been playing or how much money you have to buy extras because there are not any. Expand
  7. Aug 21, 2014
    There's something fishy going on here with all the hate and low scores posted on here, and I am guessing it's the work of a few trolly types with multiple accounts and a lot of free time on their hands. I've waited decades for a golf game like this to come along and now we have it. Unbelieveable course creation tools and cross-platform sharing, infinite number and variety of courses thatThere's something fishy going on here with all the hate and low scores posted on here, and I am guessing it's the work of a few trolly types with multiple accounts and a lot of free time on their hands. I've waited decades for a golf game like this to come along and now we have it. Unbelieveable course creation tools and cross-platform sharing, infinite number and variety of courses that take just seconds to generate, and no loading time between holes.

I find the graphics to be quite nice - nothing cutting edge, but definitely not the sub-par experience these trolls would have you believe. It runs fine on my mid-range gaming PC so those who are having issues need to figure out what their issue is - if it runs fine on one PC and not another.....it's the PC and not the game (duh!). And the physics are excellent overall. There are a few times when things go a bit wonky (just like my real game) but it's software people, and there are such things as patches that we should expect.

This is a very ambitious golf game that also strives NOT to be the next Tiger Woods game, which I could take no more of. No career, no power-ups, no pro shop with meaningless bling upgrades...no problem. I want a real golf game, with infinite replayability, social features and hell, they've even partnered with the leading home golf simulator company which makes this an absolute steal for $35.

Metacritic attracts all kinds of haters, so I've learned not to trust what people post on here much. Just go on the Steam community pages and you won't find any of this nonsense.
  8. Aug 19, 2014
    This is NOT tiger woods! don't expect cheesy gimmicks or crowds to stroke your ego when making that 40 ft putt. This is more of an amateur experience. You know, like going to the Golf club with a mate and shooting a round of golf.

You will have many courses to play that will be user generated, Quite a clever move by the Devs seeing as they could not afford official course licenses or they were unable to obtain due to being owned by EA.

The games graphics are not the best and not the worst. You have no sense of progression through stats, which is good. Your progression will be shooting a lower score on a course you previously did terrible on. Competing in tournaments or tours. Getting your average score down and so on. People will inevitably compare this with TW but I feel this would be unfair, they have different aims and perspectives.
    I loved TW but the boosting and being able to apply spin or remove it while mid-air was just plain stupid.

This game will attract the more hardcore golfer. Difficulty will primarily come from the course you play and you being able to master the shot. All in all i recommend this game, its realistic, its fun, it has tons of potential with user generated courses, and I will be playing for a long time.
  9. Aug 19, 2014
    In short, steer clear. It's not worth the money.

In short, steer clear. It's not worth the money.

As a lover of golf games, I'm an optimist about this genre and I'm willing to give most any golf game the benefit of the doubt given that the genre hasn't had much love the last decade. I believe TGC has potential to be decent. But as a warning to customers regarding the 8/19 release, this game is not ready yet. There are some major issues with TCG that you should be aware of:

1. The game is still poorly optimized on the PC. It still runs poorly on medium on my PC (which is pretty decent) and there are numerous reports about poor optimization and the game cooking video cards or vid card fans having to run at 100%. Supposedly an optimization patch will come out upon release, but be warned that this game may not run worth a damn on your PC. And frankly it doesn't look that good to work the PC that hard.

2. The game is not immersive and there are a host of reasons why. The voice overs are still lifeless and amateur. No crowds. There's a noticeable lack of good environmental sounds and even the course backgrounds are pretty dull. The trees are fairly uniform. Also, there aren't weather effects or things like that. It plays like you're hitting into a screen, not that you're on the course. In short, the golfing environment isn't very good. It's not ugly by any means, but it's most certainly not immersive.

3. If you can't play on max resolutions, your green grid won't work from more than 20 feet outside the cup. Faced with a 40 foot putt? You're screwed - you have no idea how it's going to break. On low resolution this radius is only about 8 feet from the cup. They've known about this issue since putting the game out on EA and haven't fixed it yet (and according to them, won't until sometime "after release").

4. There's still the mystery long/short putt issue. I've played TCG for 20 hours or so. I know how to putt and get it close to the hole. My last round was -14. But there's still the mystery but (happens every round or two) where you draw back, hit the ball and the putt that should go 25 feet goes 4 feet. It's been around since the game was released on EA and still hasn't been fixed either. It probably has something to do with lag in the game engine due to it not being optimized, but it's a PITA having your round spoiled like that.

5. The wind and physics are still weird at times. I've seen a 6-8 MPH wind blow wedge shots 25 feet from side to side. I've played golf in real life for 30 years now and haven't seen that on the course. Also, the ball physics are wonky when it hits a slope. Low, hard shots like with a 3 wood don't bounce right when they hit an upslope. They'll stop dead and bounce backwards rather than pop up and forward like they should. It's like the ball velocity doesn't count when figuring out the physics on a ball hitting an upslope. Hit a 3 wood into a 55 degree rise and the ball will bounce backwards in this game. That doesn't happen IRL.

6. Want to play an honest game online? Forget it. There's so much cheating from edging to other forms that it's not enjoyable. The swing motion in TGC may be novel, but it lends itself to rampant cheating and artificial "assists". People will outright admit it on this forum and this is probably not a solvable problem. If you want an honest MP game, TCG isn't the game for you.

7. There's no character progression, no tour, nothing like that. This is hitting balls into a moderately attractive backdrop. That's it. Now I applaud TCG for not putting in a half assed version of progression (which is worse than none), be aware that that's all there is - that and the designer.

While future promises are nice, TCG really needs quite a few more months of baking before it leaves Early Access. So what you're getting on the 19th is really not much more than what I got 6 months ago on EA. Do I regret my purchase? Not really because there's nothing else out there. Do I think it's a good game or a good golf simulation right now? No. So for those who haven't purchased the game, know what you're getting before you fork over your money because it's not that good of a game right now. It's only a fair representation of golf with a mediocre golf designer and no career mode or progression.
  10. Aug 20, 2014
    I have been waiting for a golf game like this for a long time. Great graphics and game play. No other game recreates the feel of being out on the course as well as this game. Instead of feeling like a video gamer trying to be a professional golfer you will feel like an average Joe out on the golf course playing a round. There are no flashy gimmicks to this game just pure golf, the way aI have been waiting for a golf game like this for a long time. Great graphics and game play. No other game recreates the feel of being out on the course as well as this game. Instead of feeling like a video gamer trying to be a professional golfer you will feel like an average Joe out on the golf course playing a round. There are no flashy gimmicks to this game just pure golf, the way a golf game should be. But.... it gets even better. The golf course designer system is so well done it has received endorsement by Greg Norman and the quality of games simulation itself has received endorsement from ProTee United Golf Simulation. Those are the guys who sell the $10,000 golf simulator set-ups that use real clubs and balls. If you want to feel like the greatest PGA Tour professional then perhaps this game is not for you but if you want to recreate whats its like to go down to your local club and play a round then this is it. You can even use the course designer to recreate your local club. Expand
  11. Aug 21, 2014
    The community is full of fanboys who flame anyone who dares to offer constructive critism.

Only the course creator is passable but needs lots more work

Online is awfull. Only strokeplay with 10 second delay between shots. No other online modes or lobby

Full of bugs. Of concern is that more bugs appear everytime there is an upgrade.

Save your cash guys
  12. Aug 26, 2014
    I also play this on PS4 and really like it. If you have a really good DX11 card, this game will look amazing. Lots of GPU usage but mannnn it looks good. No career mode but thousands of courses have been shared so far - really cool community around this one cranking out courses.
  13. Sep 5, 2014
    Horrible game, i wanted a cool golf game because i didnt have any and i really feel scammed right now. The delay between your real moves and the game feels like playing 2000 ping it's just weird, graphism are bad, comments are awful. Nothing good about this game, just make sure you skip that one.
  14. Aug 20, 2014
    I am going to give this game a 10 - strictly speaking it's a solid 8 - but I wanted to add balance to other reviews. I LOVE this game. It's a really good game of golf. There are some glitches and there is a lack of character progression. But this game is so social. It's easy to play with your friends. Some players have put hundreds of hours in - that speaks volume for the playabilityI am going to give this game a 10 - strictly speaking it's a solid 8 - but I wanted to add balance to other reviews. I LOVE this game. It's a really good game of golf. There are some glitches and there is a lack of character progression. But this game is so social. It's easy to play with your friends. Some players have put hundreds of hours in - that speaks volume for the playability of the game. There is a nice variety of shot modifications. You can even create your own courses. Simply put, I recommend this game. It's not perfect but most will be glad they bought it. Expand
  15. Aug 19, 2014
    Bought this game when it hit Steam during Early Access. Developers used funds to optimize console versions instead.

The graphics are sub-par, the animations are horrible. It really looks like Golden Tee 2004. Even on a top end system, this game chugs along like it's gasping for it's last dying breath. The only good thing about the game are the sounds, but they aren't good enough to pull the score up a point.

The control scheme is horribly wrong and poorly configurable (must be done prior to launching the game. The game's launcher is actually the standard fare unity launcher with ZERO customization, other than control inputs and resolution.

The putting is atrocious and poorly iterated, giving the user no feeling of immersion, but rather confusion and disorientation.

Bottom line, not worth it even on sale.
  16. Aug 20, 2014
    One of the wors releases in the history of golf. Just what we need to mar the already rocky video game relationship with golf.

Basically, it's a half a**ed attempt at throwing something at the market before the game comes out. All the mechanics are a straight rip off from TW, with NO (and I mean NO) imagination whatsoever. It's fun, for about three holes. Then you realize the

It's fun, for about three holes. Then you realize the courses don't play right, there's no one else to play with (unless you want to try to get that going - an act of terror).

All these idiots claiming that it's awesome because there's no gimmicks obviously never played anything on TW other than beginner mode. I'd say this game plays like amateur. And you can't change it.

I want my money back. Giving it a 0.
  17. Aug 20, 2014
    Best golf game ever and best course designer ever ! This game is design to simulate the golfing experience of the weekend golfer so there is no real-life PGA pro, no PGA courses and no sponsored golf equipment. There is also no 2-click swing and no meters. This is all by design in order to simulate the golfing experience and it is done exceptionally. If you want the next Tiger Woods gameBest golf game ever and best course designer ever ! This game is design to simulate the golfing experience of the weekend golfer so there is no real-life PGA pro, no PGA courses and no sponsored golf equipment. There is also no 2-click swing and no meters. This is all by design in order to simulate the golfing experience and it is done exceptionally. If you want the next Tiger Woods game with the ability to control the ball after you hit the shot then this is not for you. If you want to click on a meter to unrealistically determine you exact shot power this is not for you. If you want to fire the game up and start playing like a pro this is not for you. If you want the best game game ever then this IS for you. Bad reviews are from people who's PC can't handle the game. Expand
  18. Aug 20, 2014
    Great sim where all players are equal, no perks or silly upgrades just pure golf. This is the closest I have ever felt to being out on the course.

The community is fantastic and the heart and soul of this very social game. The course creator is incredibly powerful, courses can be made in a few clicks or you can lose dozens of hours realizing your vision. Fantastic game and highly

The community is fantastic and the heart and soul of this very social game.

Fantastic game and highly recommended to all golfers.
  19. Aug 22, 2014
    I cannot recommend this game to anyone unless you're a bit of a gambler. It has lots of issues including lack of optimisation, sluggish frame rate (around 30fps) even on higher end systems, graphical glitches, GPU at 100% load throughout & mouse & keyboard control issues.

Pre-release (early access) the game was much more playable & enjoyable. That was until the devs 'optimised' the keyboard & mouse settings. Forget about playing a tournament using M/K against others using a controller. It won't be a level playing field. It's almost impossible to gauge your power on delicate shots. Putting is also massively flawed & will quickly lead to frustration.

The game runs terribly for me (around 30fps) even at medium settings using a card that was mentioned in the recommended system requirements. I don't find that acceptable. I've even seen people with GTX780's having issues. The puzzling thing is that the graphics are very average even on high settings.

I find it astonishing that some are giving this a 10/10 yet they admit to it having flaws.

The annoying thing is that this could have been such a good game. Sadly, playing it just makes me end up feeling a bit flat. It's rather a dull experience.

I'd advise waiting until it's under £10/$10 because it's not worth paying full price for in its current state.
  20. Aug 20, 2014
    Never reviewed a game before, but got suckered into this thing.

Followed the forums for awhile and noticed anyone who raised questions about the game basically got the banhammer. Figured it was because they were flat out lying. Ended up buying Early access with the assumption (as the devs kept promising) that the finished product would be WAY different. It's not. It is terrible
    Never reviewed a game before, but got suckered into this thing.

It's not. It is terrible and an embarrassment to say the least. Nothing works right, the graphics are TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE! This was even touted repeatedly that its a 'breathtaking' game. Zelda: A link to the past has more appealing graphics than this piece of junk.

Combine that with a choppy swing that doesn't resemble a serious golfer and you've got yourself a pretty crappy game.
  21. Aug 19, 2014
    I gave it a 2 because you can play something that resembles golf.

I have been skeptical of this team from the beginning. If you are a TW hater - that is, you hated the support that TW got, well this game is produced by the team that supported TW (up to now). And it shows. No functional multiplayer, terrible terrible physics, and really gimmicky course creator. The idea of the
    I gave it a 2 because you can play something that resembles golf.

The idea of the course creator sounds pretty good in principle, but fire up a random course and... 9/10 times it's not actually playable. That is, you'll end up at a 430 yard par 4 with 20 yards of fairway in front of you, water for the next 350 or so, then some fairway and the green. So you're stuck, unless you want to chop 40 shots around the damn lake in the heavy rough.

That's not the only thing that outright sucks though, as you'll find user created courses are even more diabolical. Wait till you get the flagstick that's elevated 100 yards. Also, there's cross platform sharing, so you'll get to sort through about 10000 of these by the end of week one. Good luck finding anything that resembles real golf in there!

The real insult to injury though is the development team promising a very different game than what was available in 'early access'. It's the same game. Runs on the Xone at low settings. Trees blink in and out randomly. Weight graphics issues around the rough. Your player will stand upside down in the lake if your ball is in the right place.

But don't worry, *someday* they're gonna fix it *WINK WINK*
  22. Aug 19, 2014
    I do not recommend at this time. Check back in a few months to see if HB studios has fixed the game. Very poorly optimized for pc, it's running at sub 30fps with i5-2500k at 4.5ghz, dual 7970's in crossfire, 8GB RAM. No career mode, or multiplayer.
  23. Aug 20, 2014
    If you played early access on a computer that could barely run it, then expect more of the same. Poorly optimized for no good reason - graphics are basically 2 generations old. Yet, a gaming rig can barely handle it without melting down. Don't even get me started about the terrible golf mechanics. If you actually play golf, this game will piss you of to no end.

As a rec golfer, about a

As a rec golfer, about a 10 handicap, I hit the ball decently far. Probably carry about 10 yards further on each club than the in game golfer. That being said, I can easily stop the ball after the first hop on everything up to 3I. I have played TPC Scottsdale, Sawgrass, Boston, etc. It is still very easy to stop the ball. In game however, your 9I will roll out about 40-50 feet. That brings about a seriously artificial score inflation, as the core game is trivial, then you're left with 50-60 ft putts. Eventually you'll wise up and miss the green intentionally because it's pretty easy to hole out with a chip.

A really shortsighted and poorly imaginative production out of this group. Not very surprising I guess.
  24. Aug 26, 2014
    This game is not Tiger Woods. If you want a Tiger Woods clone, stay far, far away from this game. With that said, this game aspires to be a realistic golfing simulation, and the recent patches are inching closer to that realization. Sadly, getting there is so far, far away. The graphics are still choppy. The environment, although improved, could use more atmospheric help. I do not mind theThis game is not Tiger Woods. If you want a Tiger Woods clone, stay far, far away from this game. With that said, this game aspires to be a realistic golfing simulation, and the recent patches are inching closer to that realization. Sadly, getting there is so far, far away. The graphics are still choppy. The environment, although improved, could use more atmospheric help. I do not mind the lack of spectators, but I can see people seeing that as amateurish game development, especially in the tournament mode. The lack of choosing equipment, shaping your swing, and character makes this two-dimensional, but then again, I can understand the focus on the gameplay. Which leads to the next part - the controls, while not terrible, can use refinement, especially when the hand-holding features are limited (which I do not mind). I want to get the "feel" and be able to get precise shots. All in all, this game shows promise to be a good game if they continue to develop it, add features to add to realism and accuracy, it can really go places. I am personally really enjoying the game despite its flaws. If you are looking for a highly polished golf game, you might want to sit this one out. Otherwise, if you are like me and just want to play some golf on your PC, then give this a try. It seems the developer is trying their best to patch things. Time will tell. Expand
  25. Oct 27, 2014
    PRO:
    Course editor, Multi player

CON:
    Need loads of polishing before this game become real golf simulation. Engine, graphic, variety of controls...
  26. Snk
    Sep 5, 2014
    I do not recommend this game !
    On the screenshot it to look nice, but in reality it's ugly.
    The annimation are very slow. The game in general is not reactive !
  27. Nov 26, 2014
    The players move and address the ball in unnatural positions. It's pretty in spots, but that's it.. Game play is awful and almost unplayable at time. Save your money, this game isn't worth it. I cannot recommend this game
  28. Dec 15, 2014
    We have the sad situation where PC golf reached its pinnacle in 2007. It is now pushing towards a decade without anything better than EA Tiger Woods 2007. The Golf Club promised a lot, but delivered poorly. The whole game has the feel of a games that ran out of funding and was released I " what we have so far" state. Please can I have a game where I can play with friends or randomWe have the sad situation where PC golf reached its pinnacle in 2007. It is now pushing towards a decade without anything better than EA Tiger Woods 2007. The Golf Club promised a lot, but delivered poorly. The whole game has the feel of a games that ran out of funding and was released I " what we have so far" state. Please can I have a game where I can play with friends or random opponents in real time. A game where I can see their face, play four ball or alternate shot. Expand
  29. Jan 1, 2015
    Personally, I've grown to really dislike this game. It's just too difficult. Most of the time I hit a severe hook, even though I swear I swung straight, and getting the swing speed to be anything less than 100% is ridiculously hard to do. When you do manage to get it under 100%, there is next to no chance it will be at the percentage that you are shooting for. I guess if a person wantsPersonally, I've grown to really dislike this game. It's just too difficult. Most of the time I hit a severe hook, even though I swear I swung straight, and getting the swing speed to be anything less than 100% is ridiculously hard to do. When you do manage to get it under 100%, there is next to no chance it will be at the percentage that you are shooting for. I guess if a person wants to spend countless hours learning and practicing, then this game would be fine. The graphics are terrific, and there are some great courses. For me though it is just overly difficult, and I'd rather spend my time doing less frustrating things. Expand
  30. Mar 22, 2015
    I was very happy when first seeing the news that The Golf Club was coming out. I jumped on the early access in anticipation only to be hugely dissapointed. I have never written a review on here but feel obliged to now so people dont waste money on this bitterly dissapointing golf simulation. I have been a big avid fan of golf simulations for many years , enjoying Links 2003 and most latelyI was very happy when first seeing the news that The Golf Club was coming out. I jumped on the early access in anticipation only to be hugely dissapointed. I have never written a review on here but feel obliged to now so people dont waste money on this bitterly dissapointing golf simulation. I have been a big avid fan of golf simulations for many years , enjoying Links 2003 and most lately WGT for the past 4 years as it has been the only really option besides link. The Golf Club coukd have really filled a huge gap but instead fell flat on its face. Poorly optimised from the get go, unable to run smoothly on even the beefiest of machines ( no idea why as it aint graphically good).

Then we have the ever changing sys req from beta to launch which was a kick in the teeth for people with low end pc's who had stumped up there cash only to be told by the game staff "were optimising it honest". Unfortunately that never transpired snd still to this day it runs at a crawl with almost slow motion club movement, pop up everywhere, texture issues, network issues, the list goes on.

Then there is the small fanboy base of the game who ponder over the steam forums frantically looking for any negative feedback to pounce on. From the terribly optimised engine , shocking community, atrocious selection of things to do and finally the staff who clearly need to learn how to optimise a game and stop using the atrocious unity engine. Do not buy is the moral of the story.

It is the worst golf game i have played in over 20 years of gaming.
  31. May 24, 2015
    I am a golf instructor and author of "Golf Demystified" on Amazon who has played golf for 28 years. For this reason, I believe my experience and knowledge counts for this review. The Golf Club is the most realistic golf games I have ever played. Yes, I have played every golf game. I currently have devoted 125 hours playing it. The sheer number of courses and various terrain really drawsI am a golf instructor and author of "Golf Demystified" on Amazon who has played golf for 28 years. For this reason, I believe my experience and knowledge counts for this review. The Golf Club is the most realistic golf games I have ever played. Yes, I have played every golf game. I currently have devoted 125 hours playing it. The sheer number of courses and various terrain really draws the player into the game. Of course, it is not perfect. First, you need to play the game with a controller to really enjoy the experience. Second, the game is challenging like the game of golf. Third, there is room for improvement and additions. Overall, it is worth scheduling a tee time to play The Golf Club. Expand
  32. Dec 20, 2014
    AUGUST 21st 2014:

I'm giving the devs another chance to sort this game out, a game that should not have been released in it's current state. I think HB Studios have learned a lesson over the last day or two and if they stay true to their implied word, TGC could be very good. Although, I don't see it ever being outstanding. Considering I can now at least play the bloody thing after
    AUGUST 21st 2014:

Considering I can now at least play the bloody thing after plugging in a 360 pad - the M+K controls are far from satisfactory at present - I'll give it a six. It's not completely broken, so a very low score is not really justified, and there is definitely something about it that shows promise.

I'll review this review in the months to come, when hopefully the devs will finish the game properly.

UPDATE DECEMBER 20th 2014:

OK, the game has been worked on and it's starting to look like a finished product; basically this is how it should have been released some four months ago!

It's still better with the 360 controller, but with extra features, optimized code and settings (I can now run it @ 3840x2160 [4K] on my 780Ti and it runs very well) it's a decent golfing game. If the devs can implement a good mouse swing - as Tiger Woods PGA managed many years ago on PC - then it would be a very good game.

As it stands, it's an improved 8/10 (original score was 6/10) from me as the devs have shown effort.
  33. Mar 5, 2017
    The game is godd for local multiplayer. It has interesting courses. But the graphics unoptimized so you will run UHD with low fps'es even with a GTX 1080.

1. PC Gamer
    Nov 10, 2014
    Admirably back to basics, eschewing fancypants gimmicks to focus entirely on the ancient, noble art of hitting balls into holes. [Holiday 2014, p.58]
  2. Nov 5, 2014
    It is always risky launching a community-based game, but The Golf Club delivers a very solid experience, accessible, but also deep. There are many good ideas here, and we’re looking forward to see big, ambitious updates, or even a sequel that polishes and improves the overall experience.
  3. Sep 16, 2014
    The Golf Club is a pretty good golf game, that delivers a brilliant challenge that relies entirely on the multiplayer. It does not have a career mode, or a progression system of your own character, but this is not some sort of lack; this is not your regular Tiger Woods game: it's just another type of title.