• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Oct 24, 2011
7.6

1. Oct 27, 2011
    Don't expect a long drawn out story with loads of dialogue and character development. If that's what you want look elsewhere. Do you like a challenging shooter/survival game that has you frantically shooting and dodging demons? This game was created for people like you! Not to mention it's decently priced, and I just haven't gotten sick of decapitating demons after the tens of hours I'veDon't expect a long drawn out story with loads of dialogue and character development. If that's what you want look elsewhere. Do you like a challenging shooter/survival game that has you frantically shooting and dodging demons? This game was created for people like you! Not to mention it's decently priced, and I just haven't gotten sick of decapitating demons after the tens of hours I've spent in the game so far. Some highlights are:

Visuals are great.
    Levels are very different and fun. Controls are good (love queuing up combos between shooting).
    No story (plus or minus depending on your taste). Free DLC later (yes please). Challenging difficulty (you will have to work up to normal or hard).
  2. Nov 8, 2011
    This is a very fun game..very fun in co-op. In my opinion, it's along the lines of a Killing Floor type game, but maybe a little bit darker. You should definitely pick this game up for a good time! And the developers are incredibly nice should you ever need to contact them! Two thumbs up! :]
  3. Nov 8, 2011
    Great, fun game- didn't expect much from it, but it definitely surprised me. If you're a fan of Killing Floor or similar games, this is a great purchase. Nice step away from the traditional FPS formula, too... Needed something like this.
  4. JD_
    Nov 9, 2011
    The Haunted Hell's Reach is an all out blast to play. It's a horror indie arcade action thirdperson shooter with a great mix of melee combat. Visuals, level design and dynamic effects are impressive. This game drop's you right into action and leaves all the boring stuff out. I think some people are plagued with the idea that a great "game" needs a good story. If I want a story, IllThe Haunted Hell's Reach is an all out blast to play. It's a horror indie arcade action thirdperson shooter with a great mix of melee combat. Visuals, level design and dynamic effects are impressive. This game drop's you right into action and leaves all the boring stuff out. I think some people are plagued with the idea that a great "game" needs a good story. If I want a story, Ill read a book. In the meantime, I enjoy running around playing explode-a-minion as there isn't anything more satisfying than ridding the world of hell's minions in a beautifully bloody, gory fashion. For a small Indie Dev team, they did an awesome job. This game offers free updates, free DLC and plenty of modding support. It's 20 bucks well spent. Expand
  5. Nov 14, 2011
    The Haunted: Hell's Reach is is a refreshing old-school third person shooter in a time of Call of Duty copycats. The action is frantic and fun, while the gameplay itself is addictive and easy to get into. Even on easy mode the game is challenging enough to keep you engaged; you'll be dying frequently until you figure out how to manage your ammo. The blend of gunplay and melee actionThe Haunted: Hell's Reach is is a refreshing old-school third person shooter in a time of Call of Duty copycats. The action is frantic and fun, while the gameplay itself is addictive and easy to get into. Even on easy mode the game is challenging enough to keep you engaged; you'll be dying frequently until you figure out how to manage your ammo. The blend of gunplay and melee action keeps the game fresh as it relentlessly throws hordes of demons at you. There isn't a great deal of variety in the enemies, but the map and weapon design is superb, ensuring you won't quickly get bored decapitating the undead. The game is a steal at $20, but make sure you're able to talk some friends into buying it as well because it's no fun alone. It's nice to see an indie developer release a real game instead of some cutesy side-scroller for once. Great games with production value can be made on an small budget and I hope the rest of the indie community takes a page from The Haunted: Hell's Reach's book. Expand
  6. Dec 23, 2011
    An incredibly fun game. After reading many bad reviews I did not expect much of this game but after recieving it i'm glad I did. Sure this game doesn't offer an immersive story but why do I need one when I can run around drop kicking demons into walls and blasting flying demons with a shotgun. Just like the good old days of DOOM.
  7. Feb 5, 2012
    I'm very surprised why the score for this game is so low.

It's a third-person shooter and a very good one too! The game does not hold your hand, it is difficult but it's a lot of fun too. The maps are very big and the horde are a constant stream that will attack you mostly non-stop until you complete you complete each section, you also have environmental disasters (fog, thunder and
    I'm very surprised why the score for this game is so low.

The maps are very big and the horde are a constant stream that will attack you mostly non-stop until you complete you complete each section, you also have environmental disasters (fog, thunder and lightning, etc.) which can be avoided if you can find and destroy the chronostone which will spawn in a random area several times during each phase, you'll then face the end of game boss, Abaddon, very tough but a nice challenge too.

The weapons are also very nice to use, from the single handgun to the akimbo shotguns, RPG, mini-gun, akimbo uzi's and the deadly arsonator, etc.

You can choose 1 of 4 characters to play as, each with their own characteristics and dialogue, you also have melee attacks for close-range battles and can pick up different types of grenades/dynamite during each phase which are scattered throughout the level.

The levels are well designed and one of the things I like about this game.

A low score that is undeserved in my opinion!
  8. Jan 18, 2012
    When I saw this game on steam a few months before release I expected it to be a low-price-demon-slaughter-game for in between and that's exactly what it is. Whoever said this game is ugly and has bad graphics is either blind or stupid. It's a rough, dark and demon-filled world and the developers did a great job displaying that with the graphics. They aren't top-notch but still good.

You

You got 4 unique characters, all with badass quotes the old school duke would be proud of. But if you expect a more in depth character development or some sort of story, this game is nothing for you.

The gameplay is very challenging and I mean VERY challenging. It's not just a Killing Floor like run around and shoot freaks kinda gameplay. You have to use evasive moves, combine them with one of several unique melee attacks, use your guns to keep away the horde before you finish the foe you knocked down a second ago. It's not just a 3rd person shooter. You can combine melee attacks and weaponkills to chain some combos and achieve a much higher score through that. This game is so hard that the devs had to implement a "beginner"-difficulty, because "easy" just wasn't easy enough for most of the players (by that I mean, that learning the game and all the melee mechanics was quite hard on easy, but it was still possible).

To bring in some facts, this game has 5 difficulty leves (beginner, easy, normal, hard, nightmare) and believe me when I say that the last 2 difficulties are really worth their name. There are 2 coop modes (up to 4 players), Inferno and Survival. In Inferno you have to survive 4 rounds, while each round requires to kill a specific amount of baddies (depending on how many players are on the server) + between all the kills you have to look out for randomly spawning blue stones, that you have to destroy quickly in order to prevent a unique and hazardous environmental event (different on each map), which makes killing and surviving extremly difficult. After those 4 rounds you end up facing a huge endboss, which isn't that hard to beat, but can deal quite a huge amount of damage if you don't pay attention.

Survival mode is just what you would expect from a survival mode: survive as long as possible. Every few minutes a healthstone spawns to help you survive. Blue stones don't spawn, instead the hazardous environmental events I mentioned before just happen and you can't prevent them.

If I remember correctly there are 2 pvp-kinda modes, which also allow you to command and take control of demons, in order to beat up other human players.

The Haunted: Hells Reach had a few little starter problems when it was released, but those were disposed quickly. The game now runs pretty stable and I've yet to see any bugs.

To summarize a few finished thoughts I have:
    I did not expect this game to be a graphic-fest with epic story and in depth gameplay. And you shouldn't either. Hells Reach is more an arcade'ish game. You start it, join a server or create a listen server yourself, beat up some demons and stop playing anytime if you want. You are not bound to anything like savegames or things like that. If you enjoy beating up strange creatures in a bloody, dark and gory way, then this game is what you need. If you like hard games, getting better at them and mastering them, this game is what you need. And if you like highscore games, trying to beat your friends with all your heart, always striving to get a better and longer combo to get the best out of your highscores, then you better get on steam and buy this game now. Did I mention that this game is freaking cheap? Only 9,99â
  9. Jan 4, 2012
    The Haunted: Hell's Reach won the "Make Something Unreal" contest, and there are many easily visible reasons for that. When you first drop into a game, you might be deterred if you jump straight into Survival. In Survival, the game's sole objective is to hunt you down - up to four of you - and annihilate you. It does this with uncanny ability after only a few minutes, despite being on evenThe Haunted: Hell's Reach won the "Make Something Unreal" contest, and there are many easily visible reasons for that. When you first drop into a game, you might be deterred if you jump straight into Survival. In Survival, the game's sole objective is to hunt you down - up to four of you - and annihilate you. It does this with uncanny ability after only a few minutes, despite being on even "Beginner Difficulty".

There's absolutely no story, no cut-scenes, no mission objectives, absolutely no plot. It's senseless brutality on a grand scale. Some people put their keyboards or controllers down at this point, and left with a bitter taste. Those people have missed out.

For the rest of us, we get curious, we try the "Inferno" game mode, and realize that the cacophonous destructive overtures of Survival are exaggerated, and that the Inferno mode is where you can really enjoy the game's many strong points. In fact, you can have fun in any mode; but that's another strong point; variety. You can even control minions in one mode.

What you get from this game are many, many different things. You get an arcade-style beat'em-up. You get a third-person shooter. You get violence of a wholly-new level (rolling and uppercutting a minion, only to break his torso off tells you you're not in a game for the faint-of-heart). You get 4 demon-crushing heroes, each with their own personalities, their own glib remarks, and their own salt for adding to the atmosphere of the game.

Running into Inferno mode, you square off against ever-increasingly difficult waves of enemies. They drop HealthStones on occasion to heal you - keeping you active, in the brawl, and a functioning killer. Then, a random ChronoStone drops and you scramble to destroy it - or face brutal environmental hazards like Thunderstorms, Acid Rain, Flies, or even worse... it motivates you to keep moving, keep killing, and have fun. Similar games try hard, but fall short of TH:HR's sheer brutality, minion killing inspiration, and variety of enemies to dispatch. But with friends to back you up, TH:HR can be one of the most fun games you'll have for a mere $20.00 USD (Steam as of 01/04/2012).

The graphics are simply gorgeous; the Unreal 3 engine powers through a wild display of surreal environments, from desert Canyons to Mining outfits, to lost temples and even excavation sites. The level count initially had me worried; but the sheer size and replayability of each level more than compensates for this. With hidden weapons, and attention to detail, each level will have you worried over it's unique environmental hazard, while you take in the sights afforded by the engine.

The music is very unique, fits the atmosphere of the game perfectly, and crafts a mood of both despair and adrenaline-soaked furious combat, all in one package with superb execution and timing.

Gameplay controls are offered for both the typical keyboard and mouse setup, or even the XBOX360 controller. With the 360's controls, the game becomes a snap, and the seamless transition between melee combat and blasting off that minion's head behind you with your pump-action shotgun become second-nature. Fighting long enough will build up weapon experience, allowing you to upgrade weapons wholesale; a simple pistol becomes a burst pistol, a UMP-like weapon becomes a Colt Commando-like weapon. The upgrade system even applies to your close-quarters-combat (CQC) weapon, which can dispatch enraged and tough minions.

The attention to detail in minions also shines; everything from large hulking minions carrying spiked clubs, to minions wearing helmets so you can't headshot them, to minions barfing toxic acid on you can be found. The combination of these different characters meshes well, and genuinely disencourages blind melee attacks or using only projectile weapons. It's clever, inventive, and invokes varied gameplay with a touch of ingenuity.

As for Co-Op, there's few games that give us what we want nowadays. You can have coop online with some games; but no dedicated servers. A slap in the face for any PC gamer. You can have dedicated servers, but then the gametypes offered might not be coop. You might have both; but then you get stuck with a peer-to-peer system with no choice out. Or - you could be playing The Haunted: Hell's Reach, which offers us dedicated servers, easy-to-use peer-to-peer hosting, or even a friends-exclusive match to ensure your friends get their slots. TH:HR did very well here, catering to the PC gamer and giving us what we need most in our network games; flexibility and CONTROL.

All-in-all, this is an outstanding game through-and-through. I bought the game on discount, but it is very well worth the $20.00 USD admission price. With friends joining in (or if you've sprung for the 4-pack) it becomes a running riot, sure to entertain you again and again. Games of this value and this magnitude are seldom and few between.

Check out TH:HR. It's worth every penny.
  10. Jan 11, 2012
    Pre-purchased this game and I love it. maps are well designed. really fun game. Even more fun if you play with friends. Love the guns and melee combat. for £9.99 it is definetly worth it, buy it now!
  11. Mar 11, 2012
    The Haunted: Hells reach is really fun, especially if you got a buddy or two to play it with. Its a fast phased shooter with extreme amounts of gore. Most of the gameplay-videos on Youtube shows clips from the addon. In the addon the animations are worse and the game doesnt run as good as the retail version so make sure it is the retail version you are watching when checking it out. I paidThe Haunted: Hells reach is really fun, especially if you got a buddy or two to play it with. Its a fast phased shooter with extreme amounts of gore. Most of the gameplay-videos on Youtube shows clips from the addon. In the addon the animations are worse and the game doesnt run as good as the retail version so make sure it is the retail version you are watching when checking it out. I paid 10â Expand
  12. Jul 18, 2012
    The Haunted: Hell's Reach is a lot of fun to play, don't pay attention to the low scores here. Decent weapon customization, along with challenging levels, good map designs, it all just works. Also, Gamespy and Hovis are literally dumbf /ks.
  13. Oct 25, 2011
    The Haunted: Hell's Reach is a terrific third person shooter. Fans of horde survival games similar to Killing Floor will love this game. It's full of fun and interesting enemies that keep you on your toes, and it's not for the weak. This game is very hard and challenging from the moment you spawn, as hordes of enemies charge after you. If you are looking for a co-op horde game, then giveThe Haunted: Hell's Reach is a terrific third person shooter. Fans of horde survival games similar to Killing Floor will love this game. It's full of fun and interesting enemies that keep you on your toes, and it's not for the weak. This game is very hard and challenging from the moment you spawn, as hordes of enemies charge after you. If you are looking for a co-op horde game, then give this one a try. It's also only $20 :D Expand
  14. Oct 27, 2011
    The Haunted: Hell's Reach is an incredibly fun game and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a deceptively deep, action-packed, co-op multiplayer shooter and brawler. I liken it to SmashTV in Hell for the 21st century. The game offers a lot of value for $20, and represents an incredible effort from a small team of developers who won the 2010 "$1,000,000 Make something unrealThe Haunted: Hell's Reach is an incredibly fun game and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a deceptively deep, action-packed, co-op multiplayer shooter and brawler. I liken it to SmashTV in Hell for the 21st century. The game offers a lot of value for $20, and represents an incredible effort from a small team of developers who won the 2010 "$1,000,000 Make something unreal contest." Unexpectly, I find my little free time consumed by this title while my recent $60 purchases of Rage, Battlefield 3, and others are quickly gathering dust. Expand
  15. Oct 27, 2011
    think it was a good game, although many people do not like the story without killing zombies, but I think it was good enough for me to care about the topic .. Steam pre-bought, and I trusted the developer in
  16. Oct 27, 2011
    The Haunted: Hell's Reach is a great third person horror game. If you enjoy the Resident evil series you will love this! The graphics are great the game play is nothing but brilliant and the on line is even better!
    The game has four modes: Inferno (which is a coop get to the end of the wave mode) Survival (How long can you live without everyone else dying) Battle (4 players are humans and 4 other players are demons) and Demonizer (When a human die they become a demon)

A lot of people play the game so the multiplayer community shouldn't die for at least some years.

The game cost 9.99 pounds or 19.99 dollars which is a great price for such a great game.

However their are some problems with the games:
    If you melee a stunned minion they will become enraged therefore making them even more powerful you think that would teach players to be careful using melee but some of the minions spawn as enraged making the game very tricky but some minions enrage powers are very over powered such as spinning around and if they come in contact with players will deal quite a bit of damage and can only die by being attacked with a knife making it very hard to actually kill the minion.

The game doesn't have a lot of maps but the developers say that they will release free dlc for the game.

The verdict of this game: If you like shooters then you will no doubt love this game and gets a 8 out of 10
  17. Oct 28, 2011
    The Haunted: Hells Reach is a wonderful game, full of action, replayability, and lots of fun. At this stage, there are still some things the developers should work on, like an improved Lobby, a Stats/Leaderboard system, more achievements, dedicated servers, etc. But they promised us that in the next patch(es) :) I wouldn't say this is a casual game tho, even on "easy" difficulty and with 4The Haunted: Hells Reach is a wonderful game, full of action, replayability, and lots of fun. At this stage, there are still some things the developers should work on, like an improved Lobby, a Stats/Leaderboard system, more achievements, dedicated servers, etc. But they promised us that in the next patch(es) :) I wouldn't say this is a casual game tho, even on "easy" difficulty and with 4 human players, this game is really challenging and it's hard to finish a map, killing Abaddon in the last encounter. Might also be something to work on, or maybe it's simply a matter of time and practice. I was skeptical about the 3rd person view before the game was released, but I have not been dissapointed. KTX did a great job making this game, and with the next patches this game surely deserves a 9 :) Expand
  18. Oct 27, 2011
    Pros: Great graphics, Good Detail in Gore, Zombies/demons, interesting game modes.

Cons: Upgraded weapons go away after each game, no leveling up or perks outside of match, Inferno is not fun when the entire level is filled with flames that slowly kill you. Difficulty is not balanced. Easy should be Normal Normal should be Hard and Hard should be suicide. Game is too frustrating when you die every 3 seconds with virtually no pacing placed in the game. Wave 2 is just as hard as Wave 4. I actually spoke to one of the developers on their website pre game release and suggested that they add in a leveling and stat up system. I felt that this was really what the original mod was lacking. He said that it was a good suggestion and that they already implemented a upgrade system. Well they did add one and its completely useless. People dont enjoy pointless shooters anymore. Unreal tournament and Quake era are long gone. They should have listened to me and made the game more rewarding. They should use this is a lesson. Killing floor was succesful because it had a certain charm and it was very addictive to level up. This game will be dead in 3 months because people will lose interest. They will really have to add in some kind of a leveling system, fix the diffculty, fix the pacing, and add new game modes to try to keep their gaming crowd.
  19. Oct 29, 2011
    This game is incredible, the sounds are great, the visuals are pretty decent on high settings, the motion is excellent. All of these attributes really make the game so addictive and thrilling. The multiplayer is very fun as well. Playing as one of the many demons in battle mode 4v4, is very satisfying, you can either deploy your demons to do the work for you, or posses one of them so youThis game is incredible, the sounds are great, the visuals are pretty decent on high settings, the motion is excellent. All of these attributes really make the game so addictive and thrilling. The multiplayer is very fun as well. Playing as one of the many demons in battle mode 4v4, is very satisfying, you can either deploy your demons to do the work for you, or posses one of them so you can reek havoc on your own. I find both Human gameplay and Demon gameplay just to be so satisfying it was well worth the buy. The only thing bad about the game is that THERE ISNT ENOUGH PLAYERS, so if your on the fence about the game, just buy it! Expand
  20. Mar 6, 2012
    Unlike some gamers that had anything bad to say about this game, I am very pleased with this purchase, Its a fast pase shotter game with lots of action and you will always need to to shoot your way out of attacks. Unlike some shooter co-op games it can get boring with another player taken all the action, Free to roam your own direction and take out your own targets makes this game ofUnlike some gamers that had anything bad to say about this game, I am very pleased with this purchase, Its a fast pase shotter game with lots of action and you will always need to to shoot your way out of attacks. Unlike some shooter co-op games it can get boring with another player taken all the action, Free to roam your own direction and take out your own targets makes this game of horror hours of fun.. Not much to say about the graphics but hey if the game play is fun why worry about pretty graphics? its based in hell any way! I recommend this game to any one that enjoys co-op shooter games Expand
  21. Oct 25, 2011
    Very rarely do I walk into a game expecting a challenge, however The Haunted : Hell's Reach actually had me turning the game down to easy, just to come to terms with the expansive (for a third person shooter) amount of combos and melee attacks you have at your disposal. The game is gorgeous, of this there is no doubt, The graphics are a key winner in this genre of horror survival. ThatVery rarely do I walk into a game expecting a challenge, however The Haunted : Hell's Reach actually had me turning the game down to easy, just to come to terms with the expansive (for a third person shooter) amount of combos and melee attacks you have at your disposal. The game is gorgeous, of this there is no doubt, The graphics are a key winner in this genre of horror survival. That and the fact that this game does not play around as far as trying to decide what you can and cannot do. You will be launched into a world, with no obtrusive story line poking it's head in to annoy you between levels, and certainly not gigabytes of bland videos to fill your HD that you watch once and never bother with again. Expand
  22. Oct 25, 2011
    Really poor. I mean it's an Unreal engine shooter, so it kind of technically works, but it's just really lacking in character or originality and without any sense of place or context. I was expecting a kind of more modern build of Killing Floor or something of that type, but while Killing Floor has loads of rough edges it at least has charm. The experience of The Haunted just feels emptyReally poor. I mean it's an Unreal engine shooter, so it kind of technically works, but it's just really lacking in character or originality and without any sense of place or context. I was expecting a kind of more modern build of Killing Floor or something of that type, but while Killing Floor has loads of rough edges it at least has charm. The experience of The Haunted just feels empty and perfunctory. Shooting stuff that makes no sense, that comes out of nowhere, for no reason. Expand
  23. Jan 5, 2012
    I have a curious like/hate relationship with this game. I really do love playing it - it's great fun for endless, mindless killing. I can't explain why, except it's unusually satifsying to get that squishing noise when you crush them. But it's ugly, the monsters are dreary, it's repetitive, it's limited, and its controls are awkward as hell. Granted, these guys are new. I take that intoI have a curious like/hate relationship with this game. I really do love playing it - it's great fun for endless, mindless killing. I can't explain why, except it's unusually satifsying to get that squishing noise when you crush them. But it's ugly, the monsters are dreary, it's repetitive, it's limited, and its controls are awkward as hell. Granted, these guys are new. I take that into account. Perhaps I was hoping for the jaw-dropping visuals and frights of Painkiller or Doom 3. So many little issues that screw it up - and yet it's a fun distraction and stress release with its very basic and sometimes goofy kill-fest. Unfortunately, that's all there is to it. No back story, no context, no cool hidden stuff to find, just a few maps (which aren't that interesting), hoaky monsters, ....and plenty of annoyances with the way you do battle. It's insanely awkward to aim your weapons, so you rely on kicks and punches. Those attack combos are odd and way too many of them to learn. The camera view - sort of third person, over the shoulder - is a bit wonky and headache-inducing. I far prefer the way the new Tron works in that regard, or even the latest Transformers. Misses the mark on so many levels - and yet it can still be a kick to play when you want something mindless. It's like craving and then porking out on bad candy - fun for a while, but you can get stomach sick and sick of it fast. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jun 18, 2012
    Hordes of dumb, brain-eating zombies couldn't help this promising cooperative shooter to rise above grey averageness. [June 2012]
  2. Dec 16, 2011
    KTX Software has to draw people's attention to Haunted's original multiplayer modes, otherwise the game's already humble potential will be lost in brainless monster-bashing matches.
  3. Nov 14, 2011
    If you have three friends who don't mind rustling through some awkward mechanics and just want to kill massive quantities of demons with no consequences then pick it up. Otherwise, if you're into deeper multiplayer experiences, there are countless other games that will be more suitable to your cravings.