8.6

Buy on

1. Sep 29, 2022
    Good-
    Good-
    Stellar writing and characterization with excellent English localization. Visual improvements go beyond a simple remaster and look gorgeously clean. Top-notch soundtrack. Tons of stuff to do and a meaty story. Combat is easy to get into but offers plenty of depth, especially with Support Crafts and Combo Crafts. Quality of life features like Message Log, High-Speed Mode, and so on work great.

Bad-
    It takes some time to get rolling, and some exchanges could be trimmed. Backtracking between locations before fast travel is unlocked can be tedious. A few graphical glitches and oddly translated lines are present.

Thoughts-
    Objectively, some things prevent Trails from Zero from being perfect, and it may not be to every RPG fan’s taste. But as a fan of Falcom and the series, this is pretty much it. A compelling story with great characters, backed by superb localization; a stunning port with great quality-of-life features and visuals; compelling combat with extensive depth; and much more. It’s a hallmark of the series and well worth the wait.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 28, 2022
    Just like the rest of the franchise, Trails from Zero won’t be for everyone. While it starts up faster than other entries in the series, it’s still a slow burn compared to most other games. There’s also just such a ridiculous amount of dialog, so reading-averse gamers aren’t going to find much to enjoy here. But for JRPG fans, especially those like myself who fell in love with the Sky games, Trails from Zero is an absolute must play. Seriously, just flat out: go play it.
  2. Sep 26, 2022
    Considering its availability on modern platforms, The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero is potentially the best and easiest starting point currently for players to easily jump into this behemoth of a series. With this release, it is the easiest of the games to play while spoiling the least amount of events from other games and also having a solid and slightly more modern feel to it. I fell even more in love with the SSS after finally being able to see their beginnings and experience the start of their stories together and their home of Crossbell. I loved exploring the hills of Amorica and the mines of Maize, heading off the goons of Revache while befriending the gangs of the Downtown district. I loved reading every witty response from each treasure chest I opened (seriously, after opening a chest, check it again for some great messages and puns), and each new reveal I uncovered. Having primarily played this on my Steamdeck, it led to many late nights and hushed gasps as I tried not to wake my wife after a shocking twist, a feeling that Falcom seems to have mastered.
  3. Sep 21, 2022
    All in all, The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero is a unique experience. If you love worldbuilding, modernizing fantasy worlds, and urban fantasy, you should check it out. If you’re allergic to long cutscenes and extraneous infodumps, you should avoid it. Love it or hate it, Trails from Zero clearly knows what it is and what it’s doing. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go buy all of Trails of Cold Steel so I can find out what happens in Zemuria next.