8.5

1. Feb 18, 2018
    Trails of Cold Steel 2 is a direct sequel to the 1st Trails of Cold Steel It would be best to play that 1st.
    As Trails of Cold Steel 2 Expands on the 1st game. Together thay are one of the best JRPG currently available.
  2. Apr 22, 2018
    WARNING THERE ARE UNMARKED SPOILERS TO TRAILS OF COLD STEEL IN THIS REVIEW!

WARNING THERE ARE UNMARKED SPOILERS TO TRAILS OF COLD STEEL IN THIS REVIEW!

A direct sequel to The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, leaving off a month after Rean and his newly aquired Divine Knight escaped Thors as it was attacked by the Noble Alliance. I enjoyed this game quite a bit more than the first game let me tell you, but there were also plenty of things that dialed my enthusiasm back a bit.

First of all, it FEELS like you have a bit more freedom than in the first game since you can go back to old areas to revisit them and you aren't tied to the school. You DO get a sort of homebase eventually, but I won't spoil it.

The Divine Knight battles, which were only introduced at the end of the first game, are also handled much better and are a lot more fun to do. I also enjoyed finding other students of Thors and unlocking more shops and stuff for your "homebase" but I've always been a sucker for building villages and the like in the Dragon Quest games too. So that might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Just like the first game and the Trails in the Sky games, Trails of Cold Steel II is also quite long with loads and loads of NPCs, quests and minigames. But doing quests often felt less like a chore than it did in the first game. Perhaps because you're tying to help citizens in a country at war.

Anyway, now for the bad...

The sprites still look stiff, leaving some "animated fighting scenes" look awkward. And the dumb anime clichés I mentioned in my review of the first game are still around. Especially in Rean's goal to return Crow to the academy despite the fact that the guy is the leader of a terrorist organization that is probably directly or indirectly responsible for quite a few deaths. He also doesn't seem to show a lot of interest in actually returning.

The game also feels more "padded" than its predecessor. Finding and recruiting students, doing sidequests and minigames are optional. But there comes a point where you must forge a weapon for you divine knight. Which is cool. But in doing so you have to go through four shrines which kind of feel like "mini old schoolhouses" from the first Trails of Cold Steel. (And doing that on every free day already felt like a chore).

Worst is the ending, however. There is "Finale", "Divertissement" and "Epilogue". The Finale is just you going through the final dungeon, nothing wrong with that. I also like Divertissement which takes place after. I won't spoil what happens.

...but Epilogue is just another free day of doing tasks for the Student Council and, yes, going into the Old Schoolhouse. The dungeon is 17 floors long. Which are all randomly generated. And. There. Is. No. Point. To. It.

Even the Epilogue's Boss says its a "Hollow Trial". There is no cliffhanger, no hints to what Trails of Cold Steel III might hold in store. Nothing.

After that, Class VII says goodbye to each other and it might pluck at the heartstrings. But for me, it felt a bit "too little, too late".

I would still rate this about as good as the first Trails of Cold Steel, with several things improved. But it could have been so much better if they've cut out some of the fat...

That being said, I am still looking forward to Trails of Cold Steel III!
  3. Dec 20, 2018
    Picking up directly after the end of the first game, Cold Steel 2 works almost the exact same way as the first game. A number of upgrades populate the world, including a few new additions to the battle system as well as giving the player more freedom to go where they want later on in the story. However, nothing much as changed from the first game and it's crucial that you have played thePicking up directly after the end of the first game, Cold Steel 2 works almost the exact same way as the first game. A number of upgrades populate the world, including a few new additions to the battle system as well as giving the player more freedom to go where they want later on in the story. However, nothing much as changed from the first game and it's crucial that you have played the first game in the series to have any hope of understanding this one. Also this is only the 2nd game in a planned 4 part series, of which the 3rd and 4th games are nowhere even close to being released in the west. That also doesn't include the 2 games in the long series that haven't been localized that tell the other half of the story that is happening in the background of this game. I personally have enjoyed my time with this but I know that this entire story won't be told for a few more years down the line, that's if they get translated and make it to the west. However, for this product by itself, it's a good JRPG with a good cast of characters I've come to quite enjoy my time with. Even if the story has a few plot holes in it that don't make a ton of sense, it still works out well most of the time. Expand
  4. Nov 3, 2019
    Cold Steel 2 was an amazing follow up to the first game. Some of the best RPG games to pick up indeed. My only issue with the second game is optimization isn't exactly the best like the first game. Some areas can be more taxing than others. I would also say like true Trails of fashion, you can break the game here too with stats.
  5. Oct 3, 2019
    I have to say I discovered the Trails series of games like in 2016 and already played all of the Sky games before trying the Sen No Kiseki series (Trails of Cold Steel), and the only ones I've yet to play are those from the Crossbell arc, for the obvious and simple reason that there's yet to exist an official translation here...I know about the really decent fan translation but I'mI have to say I discovered the Trails series of games like in 2016 and already played all of the Sky games before trying the Sen No Kiseki series (Trails of Cold Steel), and the only ones I've yet to play are those from the Crossbell arc, for the obvious and simple reason that there's yet to exist an official translation here...I know about the really decent fan translation but I'm patient, so it's no problem.

Now, the Cold Steel series seems to be a little bit more targeted towards a more young'ish audience, both from the art direction and story perspective, but that's understandable. That doesn't mean the series has lost its touch compared to the previous sagas, on the contrary, it still feel quite solid when it comes to the core principles these series are known from: great characters, both "primary" and "secondary", with extensive story and lore attached to them; Great setting /world to explore; Amazing music...hell yeah, the music, oh yes, what else there's to say about it, it's epic and fits the game perfectly in so many ways. And last, but not least, the super interesting "meta" plot that all the games are building which makes us keep playing and try to figure out what the heck is going on and who is a bad guy, or who isn't...I really enjoy that because it leaves many of the deliberations in the hands of us, the players, so we can keep making our own theories while we wait for even more games to be brought to us.

Now, I want to briefly talk about the technical aspect of this version of the game, in a single word: perfect. Durante has, as usual, done an excellent job working on this game, it looks great considering the original hardware it was made for, runs very well, quite smooth and it has all the stuff I want to see on a proper PC game, even good keyboard and mouse controls. It's a solid job and I hope the publisher keeps making use of his amazing skills for future games, he deserves it, and we as gamers who love good PC ports do, as well.

Overall, ToCS II is an amazing JRPG which takes what the previous game did great, enhances it and adds quite a lot of stuff. Hopefully we PC users will get to finish this amazing saga one day, I know Cold Steel III is coming soon to the western console player base, I bet they're thrilled, heck even I am, but as a PC player I'll patiently wait, for sure.
  6. Jul 19, 2020
    Falcom once again returns with a masterfully crafted RPG that basically gives you more of what you're used to from other Legend of Heroes games, this time more polished and more well thought out with a fantastic and very likable and relatable characters, each very similar on one level as they all have high values for moral and pride, but on another level they're different enough so theyFalcom once again returns with a masterfully crafted RPG that basically gives you more of what you're used to from other Legend of Heroes games, this time more polished and more well thought out with a fantastic and very likable and relatable characters, each very similar on one level as they all have high values for moral and pride, but on another level they're different enough so they complement each other almost perfectly.
    While it's not 100% divided I'd say you can divide the game into two different sections: Story that happens inside the school and story that happens outside of school. The first part mostly consists of social stuff like spending time with your friends and doing side quests while the "outside of school" part covers combat and progresses the story way more than the "inside of school" parts do. Technically you don't need to play any of the other Legend of Heroes games before and can still have a really good time with this one, but it's highly advised since it's an ongoing story. The games are divided into different arcs, but overall they're all connected.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 5 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 5, 2018
    Everything in the game adds up to the overall experience, making The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II one of the best in the genre. The third part of Trails of Cold Steel saga has seen the daylight only in Japan for PS4. I hope the western PC conversion doesn’t take too much time to arrive. I want to see what’s stored for Rean and Class VII in the future!
  2. Feb 27, 2018
    There are plenty of Japanese Role-Playing games available on the market and, none of them can quite measure up to Trails of Cold Steel 2.
  3. Feb 23, 2018
    I’ll keep playing because the story is engaging and I want to see what happens to Class VII, but the battles and exploration don’t hold the same spark that they did in the first. So if you are considering playing this, without having played the first, don’t. The first is a far better game and includes very similar content. If you play that and find that you are sufficiently interested in the story, then I’d recommend getting this game as well. But this is a game I would only recommend to JRPG fans or to players engaged with the ongoing exploits of Class VII.