7.3

Mixed or average reviews- based on 2022 Ratings

1. Nov 13, 2019
    The Outer Worlds is sadly one of the most disappointing games I have played in recent years based on my expectations and the disconnect between the review score and my own experience.

First starting off with the positives: + The world is quite beautiful and aesthetically pleasing. + The game runs smoothly and has relatively low system requirements despite the good looking graphics

First starting off with the positives:

+ The world is quite beautiful and aesthetically pleasing.
    + The game grants you a good amount of freedom in how you play the game and complete the story

Sadly these few positives don't make up for the glaring amount of negatives that haunt this game:

- The story is a bad joke. You have a nice intro that peaks your interest and then for the next 20 hours you're basically doing fetch quests and go from A to B to C until the story is picked up again a few hours prior to the end when everything is hurriedly wrapped up.
    - Sadly the world you walk through is completely sterile. Even Fallout 3 had more surprising NPC interactions in the "open world" than this game. It's just a bunch of robot npcs that stand on their assigned spot for the entirety of the game and do nothing at all.
    - The entire game is basically based on the 15 year old KOTOR game design. You have cities seperated by loading screens and giant doors. You have "open worldy" zones which are a bit bigger and no longer separated by loading screens thanks to the advancements in technology. But there is no real discovering going on and there's still invisible walls limiting your movement to a core area.
    - If you know Obsidian's old work like KOTOR 2 , the "Captain + Crew + Spaceship" template makes you expect interesting characters, unexpected interactions as the story progresses and intruiging character side quests. There is exactly one interesting party member (Parvati) in your crew, the rest is devoid of intruige and just a gigiantic waste of space and time. Well, let's be generous and say 1.5 characters, because the cleaning robot Max was a nice companion to have, but he has no side quest.
    - The balancing of all aspects of this game is terrible: The Game is too easy, even on "Hard". You constantly feel overpowered like walking through the game in God Mode.
    - With the exception of the opening hour you always have too much money, ammo, lockpicking, medkits and hacking tools.
    - You receive so many attribute points that you won't miss a single dialogue skill check until late into the game which makes the entire system meaningless as you don't have to take any hard decisions. Even then a single quickload, a change of items with different stats and you'll be able to pass the check on the 2nd try in 9/10 cases
    - The skill tree is devoid of any interesting pieces. It's consists almost entirely of things like 10 points added on this attribute, 50Kg more weight carry, 20% more dmg here, cooldown reduction on that or a few more seconds in Bullettime. Basically its sole purpose is to make an already easy game even easier.
    - The item variety is poor, unimaginative and has been done better in games that are 15 years old.
    - Melee combat feels terrible and ranged is average at best.
    - Controls feel floaty and unrealistic. Not state of the art at all.
    - The highly acclaimed dialogue is not outstanding at all. After a dozen hours when I realised nothing of interest is being said in 95% of text I found myself pressing space bar to skip the voice acting and just skim over the text. The one exception was Parvati who is the only amazingly voiceacted character and therefore enjoyable to listen to.
    - The text snippets are unimaginative and boring. I played "Control" a couple of months ago in which I read every piece of information. In The Outer Worlds I gave up on trying to find anything of interest after 10-12 hours of game time

There's probably more that I could list, but I can't bring myself to write anymore about my terrible experience. What a waste of time it was. For 10 hours this game makes you believe that there is another level of depth to it, which simply doesn't exist. In my case I didn't want to believe that an Obsidian RPG could be as bad and boring as this one, so I fell victim to the sunk cost fallacy and carried on. Sadly there is no pay-off, no magical turn-around, no new exciting gameplay mechanic. Just more of the same bad game.
  2. Nov 8, 2019
    I had to come give my review since so many people are raving about how good it is, they all say "the writing is good" yeah it has well written dialogue in a boring short story. Also the combat is boring, the skills dont matter the perks are bland, many of the characters are forgettable and the game is very easy even on hard mode. I enjoyed parts of it but its not a "10/10" game.
  3. Nov 3, 2019
    Before buying, everything seemed so attractive, specially because it was supposed to be made by the same guys who created Fallout New Vegas, and with a similar structure, it sounded like nothing could fail. Well, lots of things did.

Let's begin with the STORY: The idea and the theme have a lot of potential on paper, however they feel so badly carried out. All the missions feel so simple, like they're straight corridors for you to follow without any difficulty, with a great lack of originality in the quest designing, and this applies both to the Main and Secondary Quests. Your decisions are mostly A or B all the time, and they never have a noticeable impact in the world. The amount of NPCs that feel unique and interesting can be counted with one hand. ADA seems so interesting at first but then it's just like the writers forgot about her...

The DIALOGUE is extense, yes, but to me it was made with more quantity than quality in mind. Every mission, no matter how pointless, features one or two NPCs with endless dialogue which, would be good if they ever told you anything interesting, original or unique. Mission after mission I kept exhausting every dialogue option hoping to stomp on something special. Eventually I ended up thinking that perhaps the good stuff was in the Main Quests, but no, they are barely any distinguishable from the Secondary ones.

It's not just the lack of attractiveness of what you're told to do, it's the low levels of greatness in what happens in the missions. There's no action beyond combat in the game. Nothing blows up, no cinematics, nothing. Hell, it's a game set in a wild colony lost in space, I can't understand why they just didn't throw some more spectacle in it. Also, it seems like the game forgets about the existance of feelings in the players. It will never make you feel sad, happy, furious, nostalgic. You get the point.

The COMBAT is quite poor, there's a certain variety of weapons, yes, but very few feel any unique, and even fewer feel fun to use. The kind of enemies you face is very repetitive and limited. Human enemies barely use covers, and everyone just ends up running head-on against each other, your companions included.

The PERKS feel so little original and useless, they don't change or unlock anything. The character skills aren't that bad, but they feel badly balanced. You can always easily convince every NPC of whatever you want, no matter how early in the game.

As POSITIVE THINGS, there's the art design, which in fact does feel special. Loading screens, clothes, interiors, neons, etc. The voice acting is quite good. The enviroments in the planets are quite original too, but that doesn't mean they are beautiful or attractive.

To me, the game just lives of copying New Vegas, clearly a powerful marketing tactic, but it does so wrong trying to imitate its structure. In fact, as far as I know the important minds that designed New Vegas left Obsidian long ago. We all know how dissapointing Fallout 4 was compared to the previous Fallout games but... I would choose it over The Outer Worlds any day of the week.

After finishing the game and having completed every single bit of content it offers (in 32 hours), I can't think of anything remarkable enough to remember the game for it. Honestly, it felt like I wasted my time trying to like something I could not.
  4. Oct 26, 2019
    I would say decidedly average. I came into this game excited based on the initial 20min gameplay video thinking this would be on par with fallout writing. Coming from a respectful company who wouldn't be excited?

I gotta say though. That I got disillusioned pretty quick. There is a lack of overall art direction, interiors which could have had a more vivid inspired art style went with safe and functoinal. There's this weird mish-mash of different lifts from different video games.

Floating damage numbers from Borderlands? Check
    Robots/machines extolling virtues of a product in a Bioshock kind of way? Check
    Text selection almost exactly like Fallout (including the awful role-play tunnels of 1. Yea that sounds great 2. aw you shouldn't have! 3. Well, gee I dunno, I guess?

There's no option to be mean in some of the interactions! When you play the old fallout/crpg games, you could get in a whole lot of trouble over the things you said... in this one? You can almost spam any option and get to the end with no worries. It's too cookie cutter.

I gotta say the level pacing is too off kilter too. Getting a level isn't really a reward, it's more of a 'alright, more points time'.

I will say that I appreciated the setting and the premise for the story seemed promising, but I am having an awful time liking my companions and am not really feeling 'wowed' by the landscapes/graphics so far. It's a hard sell to continue! Makes me wish some of the good old crpgs came back but those were a product of their time/makers. Back when computer games were made mostly by the same demographic that played them. There's too much candy crap in this. I don't feel tough when I'm trying to defend someone's feelings in a video game and there's no real meat and potatoes to this.

I'd hate to give it a 5/10, I'd say 8/10 for overall premise but 5/10 for how I felt after a good amount of time in it. Meh.

In a 2019 game characters speaking with the visual quality of oblivion, or the weird janky art style that exists between
  5. Nov 3, 2019
    The Outer Worlds is NOT Fallout: New Vegas in space.

The comparisons I keep seeing and hearing about this are just unfounded. There is no sense of exploration in this game, no wonder or awe. The bounds of each area are so claustrophobically close to one another. The combat is drab, and more reminiscent of an MMO than anything else. NPC factions don't clash with one another (unless
    The Outer Worlds is NOT Fallout: New Vegas in space.

The combat is drab, and more reminiscent of an MMO than anything else. NPC factions don't clash with one another (unless scripted to do so), and it feels hollow. Monsters have LEASH ranges (as in MMOs) which allows you to cheese fights, trivializing content. The actual pool of enemy types is dreadfully small (Sprats, Primals, Raptidons, Mantisaurs, Mechanicals, and Humans - woo. :/) Fighting these things is never interesting or exciting. The "difficult" encounters can all be trivialized in the same manner - kill/leash everything you need to, then TTD blind, maim, and cripple your "hard" target and then finish it off. Rinse repeat.

The items are uninteresting - there are 3-4 different variations of items that do the same thing, but last for a few seconds longer. This bloat feels intentional, to try and mask the shallowness of the system. Furthermore, using these items doesn't actually increase the value of skills you've already got maxed out so you can't, for example, have maxed out Mind/Intelligence and use the "MIND+1" item to further boost the related skills.

The dialog system, while admittedly populated with some well-performed content, is very hollow. Some save-scumming reveals that MANY "choices" are outright lies - leading to the same conclusion regardless of the route the player takes.

The art direction feels... lacking cohesion.

The scores above 7 sincerely make me wonder if these people have actually played this game for more than a few hours.

At 2 hours in, I was smitten.

At 3 hours in, I started to see the cracks, seams, and boundaries

At 5 hours in, I noticed that "choices" really often didn't actually matter.

At 10 hours in, I stopped reading terminals (realizing that the game tracked everything that mattered anyway)

At 20 hours in, I just wanted to be done

At 35 hours in, I abandoned everything but main quests and started killing everyone who looked funny at me.

On beating the game I just feel like I wasted a bunch of time on a sub-par, overhyped and derivative game that has done nothing to push the genre further - nor has it adequately paid homage to the games that came before it.

1/10. Hollow experience. Don't waste your time or money on this.
  6. Oct 27, 2019
    This is a strange one. It's different, not original, just different cause it's derivative of numerous other intellectual properties. It's clearly a Fallout 3/NV type of game, except instead of open world it's got hubs on various planets like in Jet Force Gemini, uh, I mean Mass Effect. The visual design takes some inspiration from Bioshock and No Man's Sky. A lookalike of Rick from Rick &This is a strange one. It's different, not original, just different cause it's derivative of numerous other intellectual properties. It's clearly a Fallout 3/NV type of game, except instead of open world it's got hubs on various planets like in Jet Force Gemini, uh, I mean Mass Effect. The visual design takes some inspiration from Bioshock and No Man's Sky. A lookalike of Rick from Rick & Morty is the first character we meet, and HAL 9000 is chilling in your ship. Obsidian makes it all come together due to a high level of polish and a determination not to take itself seriously.

This is a silly game. The story is about a cartoonishly evil yet wacky corporate dystopia in space where all the women look like boys. You can do basically anything with no consequences, which somewhat makes up for everything being very ugly and cluttered, so I don't even know what to say right now. It seems to have a shockingly adequate amount of stuff in it. It's barely an RPG yet there's lots of factions and dialogue. It hurt my eyes the first time I played but I'm ok now.
  7. Oct 27, 2019
    This is no where on par with New Vegas. It starts off setting up this detailed and immersive world, then just never delivers. I really wanted to love this game, but I couldn’t. World is bland and empty. You get the illusion of depth and content, but once you actually start exploring you realize there isn’t actually much there. Choices don’t actually matter. Companions are automaticallyThis is no where on par with New Vegas. It starts off setting up this detailed and immersive world, then just never delivers. I really wanted to love this game, but I couldn’t. World is bland and empty. You get the illusion of depth and content, but once you actually start exploring you realize there isn’t actually much there. Choices don’t actually matter. Companions are automatically loyal with little to no effort; this feels a bit forced. Armor and weapons look exactly the same except for the science weapons, which are a fun novelty for a few kills then get boring. The navigation map is a bit misleading. It looks like you have a slew of planets to explore but you don’t. They’re inaccessible. The “beating heart” of the colonies, Byzantine, feels empty and small. The story is way too short. I did almost every side quest, all of the companion quests, and am pretty sure I explored every building. I still got less than 25 hours play time. I don’t feel like I got something worth of 60$ at all. I’m still a bit shocked at how short it was. Suddenly I was on the last mission and I was so baffled. Graphics are okay to me. Decent. Voice acting is very good. Bugs are minimum. Very little technical problems, but the content is just completely lacking. Dialogue and in game messages can be pretty funny. Expand
  8. Oct 29, 2019
    This game is overrated. The main problem is the fact that it is extremely shallow. The world in which the game is set actually has a lot of potential but sadly most of that potential isn't realized very well. In the aspect of depth it doesn't match up well with games like Fallout NV. You can still have fun, especially if you like the overall setting, which I think is executed fairly well.This game is overrated. The main problem is the fact that it is extremely shallow. The world in which the game is set actually has a lot of potential but sadly most of that potential isn't realized very well. In the aspect of depth it doesn't match up well with games like Fallout NV. You can still have fun, especially if you like the overall setting, which I think is executed fairly well.

The people calling this a good RPG are in my honest opinion - delusional. As a game I can get away with calling it average, as an RPG however I have to say it is complete garbage. People who praise this as a good RPG must have never actually played RPGs beside heaps of burning trash like Fallout 76.
  9. Oct 28, 2019
    It's okay, not great. By piggybacking off the coattails of previous games of a similar genre, The Outer Worlds is able to gain a hyper hype following by unsuspecting fans but is only an incomplete ersatz FO4 style adventure. While the user interface and gameplay mimics familiarity, it is unexciting, to say the least.

TOW is a shell of previously successful games from 5 to 10 years

TOW is a shell of previously successful games from 5 to 10 years ago. It might be worth a discounted price on Steam next year, or 1 dollar promotion at Microsoft's store for a month to try; however, it's not worth 60 bucks.
  10. Oct 27, 2019
    It is an interesting game. Starts out a bit clumsy but the middle parts were quite enjoyable. I felt at the end that I barely accomplished anything.

The writing and dialogs were great. Not too chatty, sometimes whaky and there was an option to my liking almost always. The companions were fun. Adding a face to the ship's computer was a great idea. The gunplay was okay, never felt

The gunplay was okay, never felt underpowered or overpowered as I played on the lowest difficulty for the story.

The game seems to generate a lot of guns, armor and helmets but I never cared for them much. One can "upgrade" existing items for a price. Also I never cared for the food and stim items (could be nice for a food build though).

There are choices, skill-based options but other than arranging an alliance between two settlements, one has to decide for one or the other side. I decided to talk most my way through.

The graphics was okay, but running with very high on my system frequently caused FPS drops at the bigger locations. Nothing devastating. The NPC faces were odd and felt very New Vegasy, even though the engines are completely different.

One disappointing thing was the price, €60 (which is quite steep considering exchange rates to my local currency) for a AA game from the Epic store with 20-25 hours of playtime. Were it like €45, no complaints.
  11. Oct 26, 2019
    Very, very average.
    Very, very average.
    The combat is mediocre and becomes very boring quite quickly. It's not really much of an RPG, it leans more heavily on being a shooter which is not good as the gun play is lackluster. All of the perks just give a percentage bonus and all of the non-combat skills just buff combat for some reason. The story is not very engaging. I wouldn't call this game bad, I just can't find anything to say about this game that stands out as good or great. It feels very dated and like something that would have come out early on for the PS4/XBONE, Wait for a sale if you really want to try it.
  12. Oct 26, 2019
    The Outer Worlds. I was expecting to live out my dreams pretending to be in Firefly. I ended up in SparkNat. I understand the appeal of this game for someone who is new to RPG's; but for the hardcore fan in will fall very short. Your skills are quick to develop, with little sense of achievement for hitting a Level goal (that you constantly seem to be ahead of anyway.) Combat that isThe Outer Worlds. I was expecting to live out my dreams pretending to be in Firefly. I ended up in SparkNat. I understand the appeal of this game for someone who is new to RPG's; but for the hardcore fan in will fall very short. Your skills are quick to develop, with little sense of achievement for hitting a Level goal (that you constantly seem to be ahead of anyway.) Combat that is painfUlly shallow, uncomfortable, and icelike, and a bloat of uninteresting dialogue. As well as dated graphics, and gameplay in general. There is definitely a good story in there. But it's buried under so much fluff, and out if place comedy. To the Skyrim fans out there, you'll love this. To people who are more partial to something like XCOM, or Kingdom Come Deliverance. You'll likely be very unimpressed with TOW Expand
  13. Oct 28, 2019
    First I must ask. Are the people giving this a perfect 10/10 playing the same game? This game is far from perfect. In fact it is far from even being a good game. Nowadays all it takes is for a game to be good is to not have too many bugs and micro transactions. The Outer World doesn't have micro transactions and there are very few bugs (one game breaking bug on the last mission) but thatFirst I must ask. Are the people giving this a perfect 10/10 playing the same game? This game is far from perfect. In fact it is far from even being a good game. Nowadays all it takes is for a game to be good is to not have too many bugs and micro transactions. The Outer World doesn't have micro transactions and there are very few bugs (one game breaking bug on the last mission) but that does not make this a good game.

It starts out somewhat interesting when you are a fresh adventurer and don't know where the story is taking you. You start imagining an amazing world and hoping that it keeps getting better. As you progress you suddenly realize that it isn't going to get better and never will. I won't put spoilers but lets just say that there is no payoff for anything you do. You can complete a main quest and your reward is just more of the same boring things you already have. There is never anything amazing that happens in this story either like the first time seeing Liberty Prime in action in Fallout 3. Nothing that will "wow" you.

My biggest gripe is the writing. I found myself physically cringing at some of it. If you are a certain type of person you may enjoy the cutsie playful dialogue and the constant sarcastic statements that your main character makes, along with pretty much every character in the game but I couldn't stand it. If you are looking for a serious story that will intrigue and immerse you then this is NOT the game for you. You may think "oh its finally getting serious" then the next set of lines have you wise crack like something an immature grade school. Its downright awful.

The gameplay is nothing to write home about and barely worth mentioning. There are only a handful of guns and they are all unsatisfying to use. I went the entire game with the assault rifle just spraying bullets at everything because sniping and the charged weapons just didn't feel fun in my opinion. Melee is a joke I didn't even bother with it. You have heavy weapons which I didn't bother with either as I didnt see any point. The game is so easy it doesn't matter what you decide to use or how you spend you skill points and perks. Speaking of which pretty much amount to a bunch or percentage increases. There is nothing fun about any of it. You will mostly fight the same type of enemy because there is no variety. I can count the number of different enemy types on my hands.Armor feels like an afterthought and the skills seem like they were placed on pieces at random. There doesn't seem to be any thought process that went into designing armor so I just used the set with the highest armor rating. There are only 2 pieces of armor by the way chest and helmet.

You have companions and companion abilities but they are pretty much meat bags used to distract the enemy. The companion abilities force you into an un-skippable 10 second cut scene every time you use an one so I abandoned them quickly and just shot everything to death. The whole thing is a boring unorganized mess. By the last missions I was disinterested to the point where I didn't bother killing anything and just ran past the enemy. At that point there was no reason to loot anything or explore because the game is so linear that there is nothing to explore.

I wasn't a fan of the artstyle, the characters, story or gameplay. The only reason I finished the game is because I felt obligated to having been swindled into thinking this would actually be good. The trailer said "from the original creators of Fallout and the developers of Fallout: New Vegas" is also false advertising. They are only the same in name. The original people who made those amazing games no longer work for the company. Overall this game is barely a 4/10 below average.
  14. Oct 29, 2019
    What is wrong with you people? Have you become so jaded you wouldnt see 'exeptional' or ' greatness' when it hits you in the face? This game is as bland as sucking on pasta. No depth. No characters that steal the show or make you want to become emotionally involved. Its a 'shooter' or bash and slash (if you want). Virtually no puzzles, nothing complicated to figure out, and just AI thatWhat is wrong with you people? Have you become so jaded you wouldnt see 'exeptional' or ' greatness' when it hits you in the face? This game is as bland as sucking on pasta. No depth. No characters that steal the show or make you want to become emotionally involved. Its a 'shooter' or bash and slash (if you want). Virtually no puzzles, nothing complicated to figure out, and just AI that have pretty decent aim so you better learn to dodge/ take cover.

Honestly haven't been this disappointed in a Cain production in a while. Oh how the mighty hath fallen.

TL;DR: You dont have to bring your brain or heart along for this bland ride.
  15. Oct 29, 2019
    Feels like a good Fallout 3d game. But it is too linear and just too short. Feels like you get rushed through the game halfway through.

Flow of the story feels like Dragon Age 2. Very linear but your companions regularly want you to revisit old places.

Paying 60$ for this game is too much. For the 1$ game pass it was a nice weekend distraction. But not the glorious comeback I expected
  16. Oct 26, 2019
    Disappointed. I will not be replaying this game, unlike similar games which I continue to go back to every so often.

The bads Its a good game but nowhere near what I thought it could have been. They have a beautiful world, they put lots of plants and other onjects into the game but dont do anything with them. 90% of the buildings you cant enter. Enemies are dumber than dirt, I have

The bads

Its a good game but nowhere near what I thought it could have been. They have a beautiful world, they put lots of plants and other onjects into the game but dont do anything with them. 90% of the buildings you cant enter. Enemies are dumber than dirt, I have this on the hardest setting and it was rough before I got my companion and a decent weapon but after that I stopped even using the slowmo abilty. Along with that when you are snipping enemies they will run after you and then stop halfway and run back, even when I am still shotting them they will run back to where they started. Was hoping this game was more Open World, once you realize that you are pretty much on a track its hard to get over. I have no problem with them park games, I actually use to prefer them but when you give the illusion that your game is Open World I want the game to be open world. Also the game is completely instanced which is just a slight disappointment ontop of everything.

The goods.

Now just because there is a lot of bads doesnt mean I dont enjoy the game. There are many things that I do enjoy. I enjoy that you can level up a single piece of gear the entire game to keep up with you, this is a great aspect of the game. I really enjoy this, I just dont understand the reason it cost bits and not armor and weapon parts, which you are breaking apart all the time if you care about that aspect anyway, but whatever. I love all the witty banter and team cohesiveness, companions actually seem to be decent in my opinion compared to other games I have played. I like the stat allocation part of the game which then go into just skills. Its an interesting way of doing things and it makes it easy, after you get skills to 50 it makes it kinda worse but its still not bad. The quests are short and fun, you dont even have to be on a quest to complete it which is nice, many games require being on a quest to pick up quest type items or information.

Honestly, I thought the good list was going to be much longer but I cant think of anything else I liked. The game had so much potential. Maybe with a few updates and DLCs it will be a complete game.
  17. Oct 27, 2019
    Amazing writing and story, plagued by a lack of game. It has to be said.

The good: -The story is incredible, the lore is fun to listen to and follow, I would have really loved to see more of it which is a big shame. -Mostly bug free, only had a few hiccups but nothing that caused me to CTD -Fun weapons, in my opinion the weapons are fun to use, sometimes feels a tad underpowered even
    Amazing writing and story, plagued by a lack of game. It has to be said.

The good:
    -Mostly bug free, only had a few hiccups but nothing that caused me to CTD
    -Fun weapons, in my opinion the weapons are fun to use, sometimes feels a tad underpowered even with upgrades.
    -Graphics are pretty good, turned to ultra, the environments feel "alive" and the towns feel detailed.

The Bad:
    -Role Play is meh, elaborating, it's too easy. You can just lie, persuade, and intimidate your way through the entire game. It feels like the game pushes you to be a "jack of all trades" and there's no pros, only cons, for building your character a specific way.
    -The perks are all boring, not to mention, when I completed the final quest, I was only level 29. Huge shame. I was incredibly disappointed to see that it was the final quest, and I felt like I wanted so much more to do. Compared to games that this is competing with, you are level 70 when you are nearing end game in the others. Level 20ish is supposed to be early game. Such a shame.
    -Armor is terrible, unmemorable. Nothing cool about them at all, some of them can't even take mods which is dumb.
    -Speaking of which, mods are also not that great, you can't stack them and the difference they make on guns is negligible.
    -The questing falls flat on it's face. If you pay attention, the main story line TECHNICALLY only has 4 long standing objectives. That's it. There's a few side quests I enjoyed, but some of them were also just basic fetch quests.
    -The game is just all around too short. The worlds feel way too small. There's no reason to return to them. Honestly if you really think about it. The main "meat" of the game is on Monarch. Terra 2 feels like a tutorial town. And was incredibly disappointed to find out that Monarch was "pretty much it". My advice, if you had about 5 or 6 Monarch sized planets, this game probably would have got bumped into 8/10. The length of this game is it's largest glaring problem and why it gets so many points taken off.

Overall: 5/10
    It pains me to say it, because I did in fact like the lore, I loved the characters, and I wish there were more adventures to go on, many more planets to visit, more towns to visit, and etc. If this game gives Obsidian the money to make a Outer Worlds 2, I hope they take what I, and many other "constructive critics" have been saying. Needs to be longer. Needs to be bigger. More things to do. Take this lore and expand upon it ten fold. But then again....kinda feels like a one off game. Storyline has a wrap up and everything, didn't really leave it very open ended at all. It's a big disappointment because you can see the potential in front of you, you can see that the game could have been something spectacular that would have shaken up the RPG realm. Unfortunately, we ended up with a miniature sized world, lack of leveling and RPG aspects, and some lackluster quest lines, but, with impeccable story telling and a lore that I just so dearly wish could have been more. :(
  18. Oct 25, 2019
    There's a lot of hype on here which is mostly hysterical excitement by the fact a game of this genre is actually trying to be an RPG again, which hasn't really happened since Obsidian's last effort in Fallout New Vegas. I am also excited by this but not so much that it'll blind me to the reality that it is a very mediocre game.

The pros: - Actual skills and perks that actually make a

The pros:
    - Actual skills and perks that actually make a difference to your conversations
    - Having charisma checks in conversation
    - Broad variety of weapons, armours, companions, enemies, and biomes.
    - Entertaining characters, with entertaining dialogue.
    - Doesn't take itself too seriously.
    - Is a complete game, not parts of a game gutted for DLC's sake.
    - Opening hour of the game is fantastic.

Cons:
    - Combat is uninspired, and weak. Gunplay is poor.
    - Choices don't actually matter, because you'll always end up in the same place everytime.
    - It tries a bit hard to be funny at times and misses the mark. Tries to be quirky for quirkiness' sake, rather than actually being legitimately quirky.
    - Not so much a con for me, but I can see people finding issue with it - it doesn't look like a game released in 2019. It'd have fared better in the early days of the PS4/Xbone generation.
    - It doesn't really do anything original, or standout.

I've rated it 7/10. It's still amusing but I expected more from Obsidian. Definitely worth a play at least.
  19. Nov 6, 2019
    Very average game - be quite honest. It looks like a game from 6 years ago or more. It looks and feels like Indy Game, like low budget Elex - far, far worst than today's games. Water animation it's a joke, lava animation it's a same joke, whole world looks just weak and optimization sucks like hell! Gunplay is weak (off-centre crosshair on a PC game - srlsy?) and content (guns, armors,Very average game - be quite honest. It looks like a game from 6 years ago or more. It looks and feels like Indy Game, like low budget Elex - far, far worst than today's games. Water animation it's a joke, lava animation it's a same joke, whole world looks just weak and optimization sucks like hell! Gunplay is weak (off-centre crosshair on a PC game - srlsy?) and content (guns, armors, items) are very limited by design - Rage 2 beats this game two or three times in this case. This is a bad year for Game-biz, and TOW is a confirmation of that.
    Someone wrote here, and I quote: "try to make a bad looking game with Unreal Engine, that's some real talent here" - exactly!!!
    - People are hyping it abit more than what it deserve.

EDIT: After finishing the game, I lower my rating from 6 to 4.The story is shallow, linear, boring and i had to force myself to push through to the end.
    - Also, I just realized (looking through user scores and reviews), we have here a serious chinese BOT storm!
    You don't have to take my word for it, check it out yourself, 80% of 10/10 ratings are bots with weird names, always with weird avatar pictures and with review for 2-3 weird sentences - with a rating of THIS ONE GAME ONLY! Accounts created, just to give 10/10 on TOW!
    I think this is an Epic job - they have good motivation.
  20. Jul 5, 2020
    I didn't take to this game, at first. I started playing at launch and, about eight hours in, simply lost interest. The review I wrote at that time is below.

Nine months later, I've given the game another chance, playing it through from beginning to end. It's more engaging and more satisfying than I had thought. I've come to appreciate that the story is modest in its scope and ambition, entirely self-contained (no sequel-bait here), and reasonably well crafted. I'm just not sure it will linger long in my memory.

The game mechanics, visual style, and exploration potential of the game are serviceable.

With this revision, I'm also changing my rating from 5/10 to 8/10. It's a good game, though I don't think it's a great one.
    _____________
    Previous review:

The best thing I can say about The Outer Worlds is that it is no less than a competently constructed RPG. The very worst I can say is that it is no more than a competently constructed RPG.

It looks okay, all the various mechanics work as well as they need to, but it somehow fails to engage the imagination. Eight hours in, I'm having trouble finding the motivation to continue.

There isn't one big reason for this, as far as I can tell, but a number of little things that are pushing me away, preventing any kind of immersion or emotional engagement:

- the overall look of the game is flat and dull; it's not actually ugly, in that brownish-greenish New Vegas kind of way, just not very interesting;
    - related to this, the landscapes and buildings are small and spare, almost to the point of being simplistic; there's nothing here that calls me to explore, nothing to inspire wonder;
    - the style of the architecture, clothing, and technological devices is cute, but entirely derivative; it comes across as a strange mix of Bioshock Infinite and Firefly; the dining area on the Unreliable is a ringer for the dining area on Serenity, and - with all due respect to the voice-acting talents of Ashly Burch - the character of Parvati is essentially a discount Kaylee;
    - possibly major characters are introduced in off-hand and perfunctory ways, and we're given no reason to really care about them at all;
    - the story is a paint-by-the-numbers corporate-dystopia affair, even more broad and ham-handed in its satire than the Fallout franchise - or even the Borderlands franchise; again, there's little here that's novel or compelling or revelatory;
    - choices do seem to shape the story, but the writing is such that I never feel the weight of them, perhaps again because I'm given so little reason to care what happens to any of these people.

To weigh in on the inescapable comparison, I found Fallout 4 to be in many ways less competent in its execution than The Outer Worlds, but far, far more engaging. I happily poured hundreds of hours into romping around the Commonwealth, bugs and wonky mechanics and all, but I'll have to grit my teeth to get through 30 hours in the Halcyon Colony.
  21. Oct 26, 2019
    Was hyped about this game, but... It's just not that engaging...
    Many are saying it's what new Fallout should be - no it shouldn't. I got a lot of fun with Fallout 4 right from the start. And with this game I have very mixed feelings.
    Graphics quality is tolerable for a AA game, but it's priced as a AAA, so I expect it to at least not stutter... Worth a try with an Xbox Game Pass, but
    Was hyped about this game, but... It's just not that engaging...
    Worth a try with an Xbox Game Pass, but definitely not for a full price.
  22. Nov 2, 2019
    I can't help the sense when playing this game that I was playing a fundamentally outdated product....Like this exact game could've been made ten years ago, and it might've been a decent game back then.

But in today's world, this game has been done, and it's been done way too much. It is the same game you've played a bunch of times if you've played Fallout 3 or Fallout 4 or Fallout: New Vegas or Bioshock or Deus Ex or System Shock.....and it is in many ways inferior to all of those titles. The combat is vastly inferior to Bioshock and most of the rest of those games. The story is inferior to Deus Ex and Fallout 3 and System Shock and New Vegas. The dialogue options are linear and unchallenging. There is always a way out of consequences through a dialogue option. The moral choices in the game are frustratingly superficial and don't feel emotionally weighty. The tone of the game doesn't work with the serious subject matter. The environments and terrain do not produce wonder at an alien world and are surprisingly bland.....There are no weather effects.....The characters are lifeless and boring and don't have very interesting personalities. This is not a very good game and it is totally bizarre how people can give it a 10 or even an 8. A 10 is a perfect score people!

It wouldn't be a problem if the game just borrowed from elements of other games as all games do that..... But it doesn't borrow them particularly well or really add anything new. It just doesn't improve on anything it is using which makes me wonder why I'm shelling out money to play a game I've definitely played before. Personally I've gotten completely bored with the whole model of this type of FPS RPG that has been used by Bethesda/BioWare/Obsidian for years. It is badly in need of a sea change reboot to make the experience less stale, but they won't do that so long as people keep buying the same basic game..... This game is the opposite of that needed change; it feels like several steps backwards in fact.

This is a mediocre game obviously done on the cheap....The world's you "explore" are very small. This is not an open rpg as advertised it is very much on rails and there is very little actual exploration to be done beyond a few quests that send you to fetch things on worlds you've already fully explored in an hour or so....Which just leads to a boring sprint or fast travel to pick something up pointlessly. You aren't really travelling to "planets" here as your area of operations is so confined you're basically confined to maybe a few acres on each planet with less than a dozen things to do there before you've completely exhausted any point in going back. Combat is laughably easy even on the hardest settings because the AI is so dumb. I finished the whole game including every quest in under ten hours and felt no need to replay it.

It's definitely not worth $60, so don't pay that. Thankfully I played it through the xbox app otherwise I would've felt totally cheated by these reviews. What game did these other reviewers play?

I just get the sense reviews are being manipulated and inflated by bots at this juncture to make people buy games that aren't very good. People are going to figure that out and stop buying your products soon, good and bad, because you keep misrepresenting the product to them. I'm giving this a 0 not because I think it deserves a 0, I think it deserves a 5 or 6 objectively but there are so many people giving this a 10 who are just so obviously inflating the reviews I feel compelled to balance it out.
  23. Oct 27, 2019
    A good writing and voice acting, not so good everything else.

A good writing and voice acting, not so good everything else.

Lets start by stating, that good writing doesn't make it a good game on its own for me, because game has so many more elements to it that add up to overall experience. I will also note, that there will be lots of references to Fallout games since these games have a lot on common and are very alike in many areas. Oh, and it's relatively bug free. I've had to reload only one quest.

Having that out of the way, lets start from good stuff, which is as I already said is just writing and its expression thru voice acting. It is very well done for the story as well for the character and voice acting is extremely good. The dialogues are well put together and there are so many options within them and ton of them are not quest related - you can talk about opinions, you can talk characters past, etc. It's just solid in every way and I don't think many people will be disappointed with the writing.

Now sadly, it's where the good thing end. I will start from least bad things and progress as different game aspects get worse and worse.

Role play is really bland for me. Sure you can shoot everyone you please and be done with that character, however - if you're solving matters in more civil ways - it all kinda falls apart because how easy is to pass all checks if you smartly place skill points and balance companions. You literally become god of all trades: lie - no problem, persuade - no problem, charm - no problem, use medical expertise - no problem, etc.. You pass the check for every single character trait and because of it, it doesn't feel like you are building a unique character and what's worse - with how the game and everything play out - game puts strong incentive to be all around character. For example, if you rush persuasion to 100, all you'll do is wasting skill points, because such high persuasion won't come into use until last parts of the game.

Then we have combat and gear. Armors and weapons are quite dull and boring for the most part. There is no excitement in finding basically anything. Then the gunplay is just barely okayish, shooting feedback and how guns sound are just mediocre at best and while time slow feels better and more interesting than VATS, rest of the gunplay is really worse than Fallout, especially worse than Fallout 4 - which is like 3 years old game by now. It's not the worst I've seen but definitely one of the worst in a game with 60€ price tag (I know you can get it on MS game pass, but the retail price is still 60€).

Now a bit about the quests. Some are great, most are good, but there are also typical fetch quests that lack any substance and any feeling of importance whatsoever and this is very disappointing honestly. It really does fill like filler content at times - it's like "oh, this area feels a bit empty in activities, lets throw in some generic quest to fill this gap" and this really distracts from otherwise great writing and good story progression.

Finally we a arrive at graphics and overall - it looks dated, very on budget and rather bland in general. Now the best in all of it are settlements, some look pretty good and the building interiors look alright. But boy, when you go outside into wilds (or how do I call it) - it's nearly dreadful. It literally feels like No Man's Sky - from terrain, thru vegetation to animals. Especially animals are so ridiculously bad, almost like those toys you people buy to swimming pool (funny looking purple reptile and similar nonsense). It's just bad and it gets even worse with the extreme color palettes - on one side it's very tiresome on your eyes because of extreme levels of saturation and on the other side it blends everything - especially humanoid enemies. And if that's not enough - with how mediocre and dated it looks from graphics perspective - it also has some severe performance issues - from certain areas heavily tanking your average fps by significant margins to occasional stutters on any hardware (even top end PCs) and in some rarer cases persistent micro-stutter.

Summing up - if you can ignore most of the game aspects quality and are able to focus purely on writing - go and buy it, but if you value all game aspects being on pretty good level - you may be very disappointed, because it's just not that good as some praise it to be. Also, I feel like this game lacks unique identity, because too many times it just feels way "too Fallout". 6/10 is top I can give and even that is pretty generous with all the critique I've put up.
  24. Oct 29, 2019
    Trying to be humorous too hard, quite delibetate. Pity, could be much better.
  25. Oct 26, 2019
    This game isn't that good, and in terms of an RPG, it's rather lazy in it's delivery. Hacking just requires you to hold down a button, same as lock picking. If you juice up dialog skills you always get what you want. If you get caught stealing, you just say F off and the characters just accept that. Xray vision is always on and the A.I is average to bad.

The game is not bad, its just

The game is not bad, its just mediocre/average in every element. The fact that people are praising this game as great, says more about the current state of the games industry than the actual quality of this game. Gun play is average, A.I is average, the worlds are way to small (more like levels) and there is very little to explore, zero innovation, you can max out your character to be good at everything which defeats the purpose of it being an RPG, and the quests are boring generic fetch quest after fetch quests. It's 2019, can no one come up with any ideas to make missions in games more than go here, pick this up, bring back to me I am glad I only paid $1 for a one month xbox pass, as it's not worth $90.

Fallout New Vegas kills this by a long way, which is odd as New Vegas is over 9 years old. Get it on a cheap xbox sub, but don't pay AAA prices, it's not worth it.
  26. Oct 26, 2019
    Lackluster.

A good word to describe this game. It creates an amazing atmosphere and world but completely ruins it but using weak characters and not fully fleshing out other aspects of the game. Your choices dont really matter, and dont really effect much in reality. Theres only like 10-12 different guns you can actually use and only 3 different ammo types. The characters are
    Lackluster.

A good word to describe this game.

The characters are very uninteresting and i didn't care for a single one of them.

The atmosphere and the world building is great but its worthless if i dont like the people in it, or atleast find them interesting.

If you want a poorly executed Mass Effect / Fallout clone, this is it.

So much missed potential, its a shame.
  27. Oct 27, 2019
    I think this is one of the worst RPGs I have ever played. The developers took shortcuts where we should have depth. While I'm not surprised this was launched as a $60 product, please consider trying it with a Microsoft Game Pass for $1 this month before you buy.

Don't get me wrong, we need more games like The Outer Worlds. We need a champion in a time where game developers are bound by producers interested in nothing more than the shortest path to profit. For the past 5 or so years we've been abused by early access titles and micro-transaction laden games to the point where anything other than that is seen as a diamond in the rough.

However, this game cannot be my champion. The Outer Worlds is one of the most simplified RPG experiences I have ever had. Beyond the extra dialogue options you get for pushing the correct arrows on the 8 or so starting stats, what does this game offer? I can certainly say it doesn't do anything cutting edge... but that's not always necessary. We can't expect to revolutionize features for a genre every year. However, can we at least expect the game to not take steps backwards in features and depth?

Here's a quick list of what I see as the biggest problems with the game.

1. Too many static items in the game environment that should be lootable. I'm doing a melee playthrough, I walk into a hospital bay and see a giant surgical saw.... and it's a static item. I'm not asking to be able to make a spoon collection, but I think a happy medium can exist between everything being lootable, and almost nothing being lootable. Right now it seems like way too much stuff is bolted to the ground.

2. Player equipment limited to two slots - Head, Body. Puts a huge damper on customization. Where are my legendary rings? Where's my bracers that allow me to block attacks with my fists? Where are my gloves of stability for long range weapons?

3. "Instance" style mapping excuse for lazy game world. Simply put, the planetary exploration teleportation is awful for an RPG. No world has been built for players to explore. What you get is a bunch of map fragments to teleport back and forth to chasing down quests. Legendary enemies are not discovered, they are encountered on the linear beaten path every one of us will be forced to take. This is very much the "Dark Souls 2" bonfire teleporting system that was a downgrade from the previous version of the game.

4. Perks tree is a **** of flat % upgrades. Move % faster, gain % health... I could have designed the perks trees in one afternoon in a boardroom with 3 people. Where's my blood mess? Where are my unique perks that make my build differ from everyone else?

5. Simplified hacking, simplified lockpicking, simplified terminal interactions. Simplified weapon types, simplified ammunition types. All of the mini-games have been turned into "Press the action button"

All of these concerns yell at me "shortucts" forced on developers by production. I don't see the depth we have come to expect from the traditional RPG genre. I don't see character development that's going to differ or be unique, the perks that are worth taking are obvious. In the coming weeks, I think you are all going to discover this experience is lacking significantly in uniqueness. We are all going to end up with the same perks because a very limited set are actually good. We are all going to have the exact same enemy experiences, because the maps are linear.

With all that said, if you are enjoying the game please don't let me rain on your parade. I don't plan on hanging around this community for X weeks after launch to tell everyone to stop enjoying the game. Hell maybe it's just me. I see ZERO other posts on the front page criticizing the game... maybe I'm crazy.
  28. Oct 27, 2019
    I had very, very high hopes for this game, and as soon as I saw the solar system with all its planets, I got very excited thinking the game would be long, with a ton of locations. I was very, very wrong. There are about 3 or 4 planets and each has such a small map, you are typically surprised that you found everything. Only took me a few hours to discover everything that was worthI had very, very high hopes for this game, and as soon as I saw the solar system with all its planets, I got very excited thinking the game would be long, with a ton of locations. I was very, very wrong. There are about 3 or 4 planets and each has such a small map, you are typically surprised that you found everything. Only took me a few hours to discover everything that was worth seeing. After 20 hours, I was reached "the point of no return" for the end-game, and literally was in shock. The game is beautiful, but how can a company release a game at $60usd that only takes a long weekend to play through? There weren't even enough unique things done that make the game replayable. I am very, very disappointed, and I feel like I was scammed out of $60. Shame on Obsidian, and shame on Epic. Had this launched on Steam, it would have flopped with the live feedback. Expand
  29. Oct 26, 2019
    We're gonna show you how to make a real scifi RPG, they said. It's going to be nothing like Bethesda games, they said. Yeah, okay, true dat, with all the looting-shooting, tired jokes, emotionless NPC faces, crap visuals (try to make a bad looking game with Unreal Engine, that's some real talent here) it feels like Borderlands. I don't get all the people who gave this a 10/10 just to stickWe're gonna show you how to make a real scifi RPG, they said. It's going to be nothing like Bethesda games, they said. Yeah, okay, true dat, with all the looting-shooting, tired jokes, emotionless NPC faces, crap visuals (try to make a bad looking game with Unreal Engine, that's some real talent here) it feels like Borderlands. I don't get all the people who gave this a 10/10 just to stick it to Bethesda, Bioware and the likes, trust me, it's not worth your time or money more than F76 or any other recent AAA scifi RPG f-up. Expand
  30. Oct 27, 2019
    This is the most mediocre game I have ever played. While nothing is directly offensive, nothing is actually good either. It is so thoroughly bland that I actually stopped playing it and that is saying something since i practically always finish games I start. If I had to say something positive it would be that there are some compelling ideas in the game but unfortunately none of them areThis is the most mediocre game I have ever played. While nothing is directly offensive, nothing is actually good either. It is so thoroughly bland that I actually stopped playing it and that is saying something since i practically always finish games I start. If I had to say something positive it would be that there are some compelling ideas in the game but unfortunately none of them are executed well. This isn't a modern New Vegas, it's a slightly more competent Andromeda. Expand
  31. Oct 25, 2019
    In one word, average. The game is not bad, but it is definitely not great. There is nothing here that particularly stands out or attracts you by presenting something that is unique to itself. No, instead the graphics are average, the writing is average, the story, gameplay, atmosphere, sound, everything is just average. In an age where the old-school RPG genre is finding itself a littleIn one word, average. The game is not bad, but it is definitely not great. There is nothing here that particularly stands out or attracts you by presenting something that is unique to itself. No, instead the graphics are average, the writing is average, the story, gameplay, atmosphere, sound, everything is just average. In an age where the old-school RPG genre is finding itself a little barren, this game may very well seem like a beacon of hope, or a pillar of video game craftsmanship. Unfortunately, i do not find this to be the case.

My largest issue with the game, however, is not the graphics per se, but the art direction itself. The game does not try to adopt any sort of idiosyncratic look. It takes on the color palette and style of No Mans Sky. This issue is further exacerbated by the terribly lackluster character creator that has every character looking either generic or just ugly. This point made ever more salient by the fact that every female character looks like she manages a blog for a living. For example, there are 30 hairstyles, shared across both sexes, and only 2 of which are medium length, none of which extend past shoulder length, and all remaining 28 are either short or pulled up hairstyles. Yes, very progressive. Can't have objectification via long-hair or attractive people in a fantasy sci-fi video game.

Now, a game does not need good graphics to be good. I do not subscribe to this belief, but it must have some sense of style that does not seem to pander to the "woke" narratives that Western game developers fixated upon.

For you Xbox GamePass players, give it a try. It is an okay RPG that is reminiscent of what feels like a lost genre. For everyone else, I would not spend the $60 on the game.
  32. Oct 27, 2019
    Played for approximately 10 hours before I couldn't bring myself to play it anymore. I realize that it might get better eventually or towards the end but as I said; I did not feel motivated to continue after a while.

Pros: - Mostly very good dialogue and dialogue choices. - Good voice-actors. - Interesting setting and world-building. - The music sounds good and fits the settings

Pros:

- Mostly very good dialogue and dialogue choices.
    - Good voice-actors.
    - Interesting setting and world-building.
    - The music sounds good and fits the settings and environments.
    - The humor.
    - The game really makes you have to consider your choices morally and feel somewhat impactful.
    - The Unreliable.

Meh:

- Graphics and world design.
    - Weapon and armor design.
    - Sound effects.

Cons:

- Game feels outdated, not a lot of new innovational ideas.
    - Clunky movement and combat.
    - A lot of female characters feel identical to each other and are hard to tell apart. 80%+ of them goes with the tomboy look/attitude and has the same side-cut/short haircut making them all feel either obnoxious or uninteresting. An unexpected and unnecessarily overwhelming androgynistic approach overall.
    - A lot of armors are just reskins/changed color palette.
    - Inventory management is also clunky and a lot of different vendors follow the quantity-over-quality formula, making vendor-visits less interesting.
    - No third person view, even though you are able to edit your character visually at character creation. The only time you see your character is in the character screen or when AFK when the camera orbits around the player.
    - Uninspired enemies (generic bandits/wildlife/robots). There's not a lot of interesting with the adversaries the player faces (backstory and motive).
    - I was missing the overall sandbox feeling, the game was surprisingly linear at times.
    - No modding support (and it definitely could've saved my motivation for this game).
    - Some characters are just plain annoying.
  33. Oct 28, 2019
    Very bad game with a simple scenario, flat world, empty characters and boring gameplay. Literally there is no openworld, you have a road that highlights you a way, short main line, stupid rep system where you can genocide entire villages and be a good guy at the end.
    And mention dialogs in game, they are very very simple and a lot of time there is no choice, just different variations of "yes".
    Your companions are boring and cause no feelings in you, they just giving bonuses to skilles and that`s it.
  34. Oct 31, 2019
    The expectations were much higher than what we got. Obsidian games used to be deeper, more impactful, more complex. Plus you have legendary names like Cain and Boyarsky adorning the box. Everything about this game is bland, safe, chirpy, fluffy. The tone is all wrong - it's like Futurama trying to dabble in serious societal critique. Plus the critique part has all the depth and nuance ofThe expectations were much higher than what we got. Obsidian games used to be deeper, more impactful, more complex. Plus you have legendary names like Cain and Boyarsky adorning the box. Everything about this game is bland, safe, chirpy, fluffy. The tone is all wrong - it's like Futurama trying to dabble in serious societal critique. Plus the critique part has all the depth and nuance of an American college student's idea of things like corporate culture, inequality and the world in general. The plot, quests and writing is shallow, predictable, bland and boring. However if you care mainly about gameplay there is fun to be had in TOW, I guess. Provided you can stand the garish, eye-straining graphics where everything is pink, red or purple, garish enemies blend with the garish environment and the non-human ones look like colourful inflatable beach toys. I for one couldn't. Expand
  35. Oct 26, 2019
    While interesting at first the social dialogue 'save the people from the corporations' type thing gets a kind of tired after a while. Dialogue and writing is a bit too cute at times and there is no real choice only to use your special skills/traits for certain options. Listening to NPCs without a cancel button can get a bet tedious at times, although it is necessary because the game isWhile interesting at first the social dialogue 'save the people from the corporations' type thing gets a kind of tired after a while. Dialogue and writing is a bit too cute at times and there is no real choice only to use your special skills/traits for certain options. Listening to NPCs without a cancel button can get a bet tedious at times, although it is necessary because the game is essentially on rails. No really memorable characters, even the old guy I forgot the name of already. Combat kind of sucks, the open areas and monsters are a bit generic. The graphics have this awful haze-like quality like you're looking through a camera. I like the load screens (my favourite part is the load screens actually) and the opening cinematic is quite good. Not quite the Fallout alternative the Bethesda hate train will tell you it is. I'm glad we finally got this one out of the way. Enough of the hype! Expand
  36. Oct 27, 2019
    Long story short. The game is far inferior than Fallout 4 and definitely New Vegas. Combat resemble Borderlands on the pace and visuals but much much worst. The story is...how can i tell it ... blaah blaaah. No real choices no real consequences. You can play the first hour without reading a single line of dialogue or occasional computer messages and the story would proceed as normal. TheLong story short. The game is far inferior than Fallout 4 and definitely New Vegas. Combat resemble Borderlands on the pace and visuals but much much worst. The story is...how can i tell it ... blaah blaaah. No real choices no real consequences. You can play the first hour without reading a single line of dialogue or occasional computer messages and the story would proceed as normal. The score on this site would be much different if this game release date was close to other similar games. There is no point to comment the beautiful and diverse graphics because if there is not a good story to back it there is no point. You dont believe me take a look at youtube videos and imagine. Expand
  37. Oct 25, 2019
    People are hyping it abit more than what it deserve.

People saying choices matter, it really don't. You will have around 3 choices in each interaction and all choices always ends up with the same outcome. Pretty much all quests are fetch quests. World is small and instanced and npcs static (they don't go on about their daily lives to create the illusion of a living world) If you
    People are hyping it abit more than what it deserve.

People saying choices matter, it really don't.

If you just focus on the mainstory it's around 10h long with sidequests/exploration to push it to around 20-25h max.

It's a 7/10 game from a small studio.
  38. Oct 26, 2019
    Better than Fallout 4 but worse than Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

This game is one of those games that starts strong then the layers peel off once you start to get into the game. I can't recall a single characters name because they were so boring. Inventory is clunky. Leveling kinda sucks. Perks kinda suck. Options kinda suck. Weapon and armor modding kinda suck. No grenades. Look I'm
    Better than Fallout 4 but worse than Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Look I'm impressed with the lack of budget they were able to make something this solid. But I found myself playing this more like it was doom or something since I didn't really care. I eventually gave up all together once I hit the third world because I was just so bored.

The weird SJW motives forced into the mix on top of this just gross me out. For instance the default character is a black lesbian woman, which I'm sure is the majority or gamers playing their game obviously so it just makes sense for them to try to appeal to that large portion of the market. Not only that but there's this awkward forced in side quest where for 30 minutes you have to assist a lesbian in pursuing her sexual interest.
  39. Oct 25, 2019
    Runs smoothly on high settings even on older beginner hardware, looks beautiful and I didn't encountered any bugs. That's how a game should be released.

The stories are as good and complex as expected from obsidian. The gameplay is easy to understand, good to handle and the right amount of complex. The extremely good dialogue is perfectly voiced. The interface clean and intuitive. Sadly,

Sadly, the world looks a bit bland and dead. No daily life, no happenings, rearly any movement, no kids and often the same dialogues of by standing npcs. That's why it doesn't feel alive, if you aren't involved in a quest or dialogue.

All in all its a great, interesting and motivating game.
  40. Oct 26, 2019
    Do NOT believe the hype. I too was excited to play the much anticipated "The Outer Worlds", but it wasn't long till I found myself severely disappointed. After 12 hours of playtime, EVERY mission has been a fetch quest - save person a, get item b, kill outlaw c. The dialogue seems like something out of bottom tier Netflix shows, the animations are incredibly dated, the sound is lacking inDo NOT believe the hype. I too was excited to play the much anticipated "The Outer Worlds", but it wasn't long till I found myself severely disappointed. After 12 hours of playtime, EVERY mission has been a fetch quest - save person a, get item b, kill outlaw c. The dialogue seems like something out of bottom tier Netflix shows, the animations are incredibly dated, the sound is lacking in fidelity and punch and the story feels unbelievable pointless. What do they want to say with this game? Bohoo, capitalism is bad, we live in a society and everyone not sporting blue hair and buzzed sides is a masochist! Everything about this game has been done to death, and might I add - a lot better by the very same developer 10 years ago. On the plus side, the visuals are good and at times even great, but that is the only noteworthy thing about this tired rehash of a game. If you have NOTHING better to do - and by nothing I really mean nothing as going for a nap will raise your pulse more than playing this snoozefest - then "The Outer Worlds" could be your plan C. If you have anything else to do, stay away from this massive dissapointment and save yourself 20 hours of pure boredom. Expand
  41. Oct 25, 2019
    When it comes to mechanics, the game resembles games from Bethesda. Everyone wondered before the premiere whether the game would be as good as Fallout New Vegas. I could write to you: The Outer Worlds is even better than New Vegas, better than Fallout 4. It's a real RPG, not an adventure game with RPG elements. Obsidian showed Bethesda how to do role-playing games.
  42. Oct 25, 2019
    10/10 Pure Perfection, it's Fallout but better with a bit of Bioshock. Congratulations Obsidian great work! GOTY CONTENDER.
  43. Oct 26, 2019
    The only reason why I'm not giving it a 10 is the lack of a third person view. Don't take me wrong, the game is amazing as it is, but with the 3rd person view this would be an absolute legendary masterpiece.

I love the universe, the skills and perks, the weapons, the characters, the music... everything in this game is impregnated with that magical touch that only Obsidian can have. Last time I felt so nice when playing a space RPG was with KOTOR 2.

Thank you, Obsidian, you really met my expectations. Not fully, but I forgive you for the lack of 3rd person because the game is so good.
  44. Oct 28, 2019
    The Outer Worlds definitely lives up to its spiritual predecessor, Fallout: New Vegas in many ways. Player influence on the world around them is immense, there are too many interesting characters to count, and the writing is excellent.
    The Outer Worlds was announced and came out at a perfect time, a time when confidence in Bethesda's Fallout franchise was at an all-time low and long-time fans of the series desperately desired a worthy replacement.
    I really do hope The Outer Worlds launches a franchise, because we need a new Fallout.
  45. Nov 9, 2019
    PROS:
    Different setting and story, many dialogue options and multiple ways to tacke the objective, great gunplay for an RPG, the Fallout game we needed.

CONS:
    Graphics aren't as good as other newer titles, main story is a bit short.
  46. Oct 25, 2019
    Not flashy, but made with soul for the fans. If you miss when Bethesda made good games, this one is for you.
  47. Oct 25, 2019
    This is what I wanted from Bethesda for Fallout 4. True RPG fans are going to love this game.
    Also after 5 hours of gameplay I have yet to encounter a bug or crash to desktop. Well done, Obsidian!
  48. Oct 25, 2019
    This was long over due. Game is great, full of story and adventure. I am so happy i get tears when I think about how long its been since we got a really good game to play. I actually like interacting with NCPs and asking questions, to figure out if I can persuade them or get more information out of them. The overall map is small, but I think that's what makes is so great. It is not anThis was long over due. Game is great, full of story and adventure. I am so happy i get tears when I think about how long its been since we got a really good game to play. I actually like interacting with NCPs and asking questions, to figure out if I can persuade them or get more information out of them. The overall map is small, but I think that's what makes is so great. It is not an empty world where you have to travel boring terrain and go far distances for quests. Best of all, you don't have to spend $60 to play the game. All you need is a Xbox subscription Expand
  49. Nov 11, 2019
    As a long-time fan of Obsidian (and Fallout) games, I came into this with very high hopes given the generally very positive reviews, including several glowing ones. Boy was I disappointed.

The game really drops the ball on several key components of a great RPG, and in the end, seems like it was rushed out about two years too early. The story is okay-ish; I'm not even bothered by the

The story is okay-ish; I'm not even bothered by the fact that "dystopian future run by corporations" is a bit of a cliche at this point. It's a big part of the zeitgeist of my generation and, let's face it, probably going to happen. The problem is that neither the overarching plot nor the side stories are developed at all. Several questlines that seem promising resolve themselves in one step by basically confronting somebody and deciding whether to kill them or not. Choices don't really seem to matter much; for example, you might pick one side over another on a certain planet, or reconcile them. But the planet doesn't change much either way, and in any event, there's no reason to ever go back to that planet to experience the "new" version, under new leadership etc. Part of the problem is that the game is less than 30 hours long, but still contains several major planets with numerous quests on each one. So each quest tends to be very short. They are also not interconnected in any meaningful or very satisfying way. The most involved quests are probably the companion quests, which basically involve planet- and fast-travel-point hopping to fetch this or that or talk to somebody, and your enjoyment of those will depend greatly on whether you like that companion.

The dialogue itself is kinda hit and miss, there are some clever and/or funny bits, but there are also some cringe-worthy lines that would never be spoken by a real human being. I may be being a bit harsh here, but again it seems disjointed and rushed, even if there is some good writing to be found in spots.

Another key RPG component is player progression, and the game misses pretty badly in this department. You never get new abilities (well, maybe with the exception of being able to hack robots, which I never used). Basically everything is a passive upgrade. I never felt more powerful on level-up; it's more like bumping up the numbers to be able to pass more skill checks. Never felt like I needed to just get two more levels for some sweet, fun ability. Boring. Also, you can basically put plenty of points into everything, unless you want to be great at both melee and ranged weapons (I went ranged).

In a similar vein, there are no classes and very few possibilities for different builds. I went conversation-and-tech-skill heavy and still had plenty of points to put into guns. I could do a second run as melee bu that would be the only substantial difference, and the thought of doing the whole game as only melee is...not enticing. You would think there might be a stealthy build, but not really. Someone else might have a different experience, but the levels are just not designed like Deus Ex or Dishonored, with vents you can crawl through or alarms or traps you can shut off. Although I didn't try particularly hard to be stealthy, after a few failed attempts, it really seemed like the game was designed with "guns blazing" in mind. As a result, replayability is very low, unless you wanted to do something like a "kill literally everyone" run.

Combat is ok, in the exact same way that combat from Fallout 3, 4 and New Vegas is ok. The shooting is not as good as a true shooter, nor does it allow you to use and customize extra abilities like, for example, Mass Effect.

Crafting and itemization is also only ok. On the plus side, you can change the damage type of any weapon you find, which makes for some nice freedom and interesting combinations. There are also a good number of weapon types, and most seem effective. However, most of the other crafting you can do just makes the weapons or armor slightly better. Also, you have access to almost every weapon type very early, and then later you just get "Shotgun 2" or "Assault Rifle 2."

Finally, while I liked the art design, the graphics are very dated from a technical standpoint. Like 2011 kind of dated. Something like Borderlands 3 gets away with that (also on the Unreal Engine) by going full out cartoony, but Outer Worlds still tries to look semi-realistic. Notably, fabrics on characters' clothing look great in conversation closeups, but environments look very 2011.

Anyhow, while the game is decent enough for a single run through, especially if you go in with low expectations, nearly every aspect of the game seems half-baked and could have used a LOT more time in development. It's like they took the skeleton of a game that should have covered 90 hours and tried to fill it with 30 hours worth of content.
  50. Nov 14, 2019
    I played this on the xbox game pass for PC, and I'm glad I didn't outright buy this game for full price.
  51. Nov 7, 2019
    I already knew it would have been a small project, not a very long main quest line, not a lot of content in general... Ok, I am fine with that. The real problem (at least for me) is its core gameplay : in just one word, BORING. I was expecting instead more creativity and fun mechanics to play around, but no. Basically you can just slow down time and that's it. And it's not even that usefulI already knew it would have been a small project, not a very long main quest line, not a lot of content in general... Ok, I am fine with that. The real problem (at least for me) is its core gameplay : in just one word, BORING. I was expecting instead more creativity and fun mechanics to play around, but no. Basically you can just slow down time and that's it. And it's not even that useful either.
    I appreciate restriction based on a level cap, but I am not really impressed with quality and quantity of the perks system. To cut it short, there is not enough variety to me for justifying making another character, so it falls short of the definition of being an RPG.
    Yes there are a lot of beautifully written scripts and conversations.
    Yes there is a lot of stuff to loot around.
    BUT I still couldn't bring myself to play for more than 5 or 6 hours because the game it's just super boring.
    Come on Obsidian, you can do way better than this.
  52. Jan 1, 2020
    among the most tediously boring games i've ever played. very little action. gameplay is all tedious dialogue choices with an uninteresting story, little action, a lot of item management, lots of travel, collecting minuscule amounts of ammo and zillions of worthless items to sell. missions/quests are generally something like travel back and forth slowly with long transitions just toamong the most tediously boring games i've ever played. very little action. gameplay is all tedious dialogue choices with an uninteresting story, little action, a lot of item management, lots of travel, collecting minuscule amounts of ammo and zillions of worthless items to sell. missions/quests are generally something like travel back and forth slowly with long transitions just to collect an item or make a single interaction with a character that's hard to find sometimes even going back and forth several times. it's just horrible and boring. Expand
  53. Feb 5, 2020
    The game doesn't allow you to create a normal-looking female character, they all look like men, and I cannot play the story on console because the game is very poorly optimized for consoles and doesn't include a 60fps mode giving me headaches, for a game with 2010 graphic fidelity.
  54. Jan 6, 2020
    Очень быстро приедается из за "рельс" по которым приходится бегать между заданиями.
  55. Aug 11, 2020
    Short description: Boring, mundane, unappealing, not fun.

Scavenging-based game, which doesn't appeal to me. It seems to be a futuristic Fallout-type game. Not what I was expecting. And this game takes stuff like that to the extreme even - where they put a ridiculous amount of containers and lockboxes (almost all with just/mainly junk items) to rummage through. I'm at the first
    Short description: Boring, mundane, unappealing, not fun.

I'm at the first decision of where to revert the power and the choices are both bad and unappealing. Making me lose interest in any of these missions/story lines. And the other side quests are so mundane that they are entirely unappealing as well. The storytelling isn't good enough to make you want to do those side quests, or even the main quest.

Plus, having to sort through all this gear seems like such a waste of time. If the majority of the game is rummaging through containers and then my inventory, reading stats to try to figure out what to sell, that is not a good use of my time. Especially after you've already played a game like that. One seems like enough.

The game doesn't even look good enough for it to be worth it. And so far, the weapons aren't fun to use either.

Modding and workbench is pretty complicated.

The setting of being on these other wild, unique planets in the future is appealing. But the quests and storyline, and even gameplay, get mundane really quickly.

Overall I would say it's like a really bad version of Mass Effect. It takes elements from a variety of other games, such as Borderlands and Dead Space, but has an increased amount of all the worst, most tedious and boring aspects, and a decreased amount of any of the appealing aspects.
  56. Feb 1, 2020
    UNMODDABLE OFF-CENTER CROSSHAIR

Everyone else has done a good job of talking about how flat and stale the game mechanics, stories and worlds are. Personally, the game's off-center crosshair makes the game nauseatingly unplayable. I played for less than 10 hours before giving up. There is no option to center the crosshair. There are no mods to center the crosshair. There has not been
    UNMODDABLE OFF-CENTER CROSSHAIR

Personally, the game's off-center crosshair makes the game nauseatingly unplayable. I played for less than 10 hours before giving up. There is no option to center the crosshair. There are no mods to center the crosshair. There has not been a peep from the devs about patching the crosshair. It is simply off-center and if you play a lot of FPS games, it's *never* going to feel right. It felt like I was fighting my own hand and brain performing simple actions. I have never before in my life felt nauseous playing a video game; The Outer Worlds really accomplished the impossible by shooting itself in the foot with some hardcoded nonsense that nobody asked for.
  57. Jan 19, 2020
    Garbage soundtrack, garbage story execution, garbage gameplay.

Even the eye candy is garbage on character models and indoor designs. The story itself in general idea is fine but thanks to the execution of it it is full of unlikable, unrelateable and worst of all illogically designed characters, Will not draw out this one so here is the very first expression this game made on me, *
    Garbage soundtrack, garbage story execution, garbage gameplay.

* Walk into cantina on edgewater, discover that the workers are overworked and all of them are brainless bots by design.
    * Clean out cantina by killing everyone. While looting corpses a bunch of new workers spawn inside walking on dead bodies as if it is normal.
    * OK. The game just died for me but lets honor the story, go to tower for more clean up, everyone acts as if nothing happened altough I literally cleaned up the entrance just a sec ago.
    * Bite my tongue get through all the bs. Now I arrived on space station. Killed the first guy right in fron of me with a grenade launcher and people literally staring at the incident does not give a f.k but then I go take a bottle nearby, armies are summoned.

U N I N S T A L L E D

Cant play as a mop em up (bad combat, joke melee), cant play as an rpg (see reasons above), cant play as fps (constant uninspired, badly executed story showing down throat).
  58. Jan 19, 2020
    Not worth the hype. Obsidian did a good job for a RPG the rest of the game is just blahh.
  59. Feb 4, 2020
    Interesting concept, unfortunately drag down by lackluster combat, shallow character progression and completely uninteresting loot and characters.
  60. Jul 2, 2020
    way over hyped ended up being mediocre at best. The story is boring, barley any meaningful choices, gun physics are bad.
  61. Jul 5, 2020
    Dull soulless world. Fills like plastic. Distracting humour - makes world looking like stage in some satiric play. Ugly characters.
  62. Jan 18, 2020
    TL;DR - A refreshing game in a while considering I'm not really someone who enjoys playing Open World Heavy RPG games. The Witcher 3 was the last RPG game I completed and even though the writing and mission flow never really reached that level of depth; there are some really good beats sprinkled throughout.
    Strong start, a meandering mid and a slight let down for an ending The Outer
    Strong start, a meandering mid and a slight let down for an ending The Outer Worlds manages to be a competent game that is a good experience but would be an excellent one if you can get it during a sale. The endless replay-ablility of the game including all the difficulty levels and multiple ways to go about the missions almost makes it worth full price.

The Good
    Art Style was really interesting, beautiful sky-boxes littered through out do a good job making you feel you are in the far flung parts of the Universe. My favorite part of the game's writing was the Companion Story Lines, I finished the game with just 4 Companions but every story-line succeeded in making me feel for them as a part of my crew.
    Gun-play/Mechanics was decently varied with light RPG elements, this kept me going through with relative ease and enjoyment at Normal difficulty with only a few deaths in early stages and one or two near the end; altogether a very breezy and fun play-through. One of the least-glitchy games I have played in a while and I really appreciated it, aside from a few small ones the game was smooth. Mission Flow could have used a little more attention and polish but still do a good job of interlinking the Main Plot with smaller side jobs effectively negating that feeling of stopping the flow of the story to do a side mission.

The Bad
    Sadly a lot of small things here and there start building up, the perk system, two limit companion on missions, the weird skill point system managing to be confusing as well as overly simple at the same time, enemy variety, melee game mechanics; all these things and then some could have used quite a bit of polish and finesse .
    Even though the Main Story line on paper seems like you are changing the fate of your Star System playing through does not really feel like it, it lacks a sense of enormity and weight of your gameplay decisions.
    A meandering middle section of the story where the pacing seems to slow down but then all of a sudden you realize that you are actually near the end. The final few missions were a little bit of a let down. I was so sure that there was some major twist coming in the story since the story really stays a little bland and simple throughout, this could also be because of The Witcher 3 and the intricacies and excellence of the Story/Mission flow has probably ruined other games for me.

A good competent game nonetheless despite all of it's middle of the road choices.
  63. Feb 12, 2020
    Скучно, вторично, безвкусно. Изо всех сил пытался получить положительные эмоции, но не смог, хоть и поначалу были какие-то надежды. Это не уровень Obsidian, это проходной продукт с целью заработать денег под брендом Obsidian. Больше говорить не о чем.Скучно, вторично, безвкусно. Изо всех сил пытался получить положительные эмоции, но не смог, хоть и поначалу были какие-то надежды. Это не уровень Obsidian, это проходной продукт с целью заработать денег под брендом Obsidian. Больше говорить не о чем.
  64. Aug 11, 2020
    What a disappointment.

The potential was there, but everything falls short. The story could have been fantastic, but the delivery is crap, just doing simplistic missions where you really feel zero engagement. Combat? Absolute crap. Both ranged and melee have zero feel to it, damage is completely disproportional, just feels like a basic shooter for kids. Ambience, side quests, theme,
    What a disappointment.

The potential was there, but everything falls short.
    Ambience, side quests, theme, exploration... so much potential, all of it left at superficial level.

There's no depth, whatsoever, to this game.

It's like you take a bunch of good ideas and give it to someone who's never done a game before. Execution matters. Execution failed.
  65. Sep 9, 2020
    The aesthetics of this game initially intrigued me, which look really good in the game. It also plays bug-free. Beyond that, the Outer Worlds plays and feels like a 20 year old game updated with new graphics. The quests are completely linear and mostly scavenger hunts. The NPCs have generic personalities and dialogue, and play no active role other than modifying your group stats andThe aesthetics of this game initially intrigued me, which look really good in the game. It also plays bug-free. Beyond that, the Outer Worlds plays and feels like a 20 year old game updated with new graphics. The quests are completely linear and mostly scavenger hunts. The NPCs have generic personalities and dialogue, and play no active role other than modifying your group stats and occasionally making comments. The various baddies are generic, limited in variety, and really don't add anything to the immersion. Corpses look the same even after looting their armor and clothing, which just adds to the antiquated gameplay feel. Although beautifully rendered, the environments are two-dimensional and repetitive. The first-person only player character, linear story, and separate, disconnected worlds are a huge disappointment for me as a long-time player of open-world third-person games like Skyrim and Fallout 4. Overall, the game is very short and feels very outdated. Expand
  66. Jan 26, 2020
    Nista posebno cak na trenutke izuzetno dosadno. Kraj je uzas Bozji bukvalno oruzjan nisu orginalna ni najmanje itd. uglv nikad vise
  67. Oct 11, 2020
    What a disappointment. I had great hope for this game but it turned out to be a chore.
    Color palette is to make your eyes bleed.
    Gameplay is meh. Companions are mostly the way. For some reasons you cannot remap the ',' key which is stupid and frustrating (has been my reload key for as long as I remember) But to top it all, it's a Marxist story full of insufferable characters, an SJW's
    Color palette is to make your eyes bleed.
    Gameplay is meh.
    Companions are mostly the way.
    But to top it all, it's a Marxist story full of insufferable characters, an SJW's wet dream.

Today, after months, I tried to finish the game. How terrible could it be?
    Answer : a lot. I've uninstalled this awful piece of **** forever.

Obsidian, do you think I'll ever buy anything from you after that? Dream on.
  68. Apr 18, 2020
    This game is pretty good, but to me, it is a bit over-hyped.

--Some things I like about the game are-- Has a good dialog system (How a dialog system SHOULD be) Has very decent graphics and cool things to check out and see Time dilation mechanic is awesome. Has a good level and perk system, although a bit LESS customizable then i'd like --Some things I don't like about the game
    This game is pretty good, but to me, it is a bit over-hyped.

--Some things I like about the game are--
    Has a good dialog system (How a dialog system SHOULD be)
    Has very decent graphics and cool things to check out and see
    Time dilation mechanic is awesome.

--Some things I don't like about the game are--
    Kind of trying to be like Boarderlands a bit too much.
    The enemies are SO dumb, is almost not even fun battling them.
    A lot of the women in the game are trying way too hard to be men.
    Pretty simple and linear quests.
    Npc's are a bit bland, and the voice acting is sub par.
    Feels like they were going for a little kid demographic.
  69. Jun 6, 2020
    An interesting idea, gameplay, but a terrible and very short story, unfortunately 6.
  70. Aug 9, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just can't play this anymore without getting a deep depression! I have no idea why I feel like this but everytime I play I feel miserable even getting to the loading screen!

Played since launch and the gameplay is just so bland and unfun! The combat is repetitive and meh... The gear system is stupid and just leads to me to using 3 guns the same as before but with a different name and I spent all my time on one planet getting lost and dying to mechs! I was one of the first 100 people to beat the game and I beat it on the same day in 9 hours using a speed run strat I made up! I hated the ending of we haven't heard from earth... Like we never asked and i didn't even know we were meant to be caring about earth because they never mentioned it. I found the companions to be unbearable and horrible except the girl at the start and the priest but then we get the weird moment in the engineering labs with her and I avoid that at all costs, because its just cringe.

Me and my friend played together and i hate that people keep mentioning FNV because they are nothing alike! If you have to keep mentioning a game that has nothing to do with this then you are grasping at straw! Obsidian didn't do much work for FNV, all the hard lifting was Bethesda and they just wrote a decent story and added some cool things to it! Mostly I only play FNV with mods, so the community is what made it. Most of the FNV team at obsidian is gone and they were during the hard times at obsidian during like 2012...can we just count this as a loss and go on and hope for a good TES Or Fallout Game? Like this is making borderline depressed just talking about it!
  71. Sep 29, 2020
    I waited so long to play this game only to be hit with massive disappointment in what it turned out to be. If you took the companion system and the branching storylines of Mass Effect and combined it with the open-world mechanics of Borderlands, you get The Outer Worlds. It seems like a good recipe.

However, I didn't include "story" in that description, and that's where I was really let down. The game starts off strong but quickly deteriorates into something that lacks any feeling. It was obvious that choices were going to influence the game, but those choices were made about people I'd either just met 30 seconds before or about people whom I'd seen a handful of times in the game. To further ram home the disappointment, I never felt like choices were going to affect me as a character, and I was simply pulling the strings on something that I wasn't part of. The missions felt fairly uninspired, with side quests not feeling very significant to much of anything. Add on the fact that I somehow completely missed a companion character and the whole game seemed very clunky.

Combat was lackluster at best, and seemed more of an obstacle to quest requirements instead of something you could get involved in. I completely forgot about the time-dilation feature many times, and when I did it didn't serve much of a purpose at all. It just slows time and nothing else, but if you want to watch a reload animation while you get shot at half-speed then that's a great feature.

Thankfully the story was relatively short, because after a while I had a hard time starting the game up to just run through mindless quests. I finished it, however only to not have an unfinished game hovering over my head.
  72. Oct 26, 2020
    I was really let down by this game based on the hype that followed it.

The game has no soul, charm or flavor. The writing is bland and uninteresting. Everything is generic. Everyone talks way too much and has way too much to say, but you won't want to hear any of it. The combat is...there! The leveling and progression system is not impactful/seems pointless/dont feel progress
    I was really let down by this game based on the hype that followed it.

The game has no soul, charm or flavor.
    The writing is bland and uninteresting. Everything is generic.

The combat is...there!

If i can save just one person, honestly, skip this game. I came out of my way to leave this review because I am like in disbelief at how bad it is based on the hype surrounding it for the past year.
  73. Sep 16, 2020
    Outer Worlds is set in a nightmarish, dystopian future where every quest is a fetch quest, and every enemy is exactly the same.
  74. Sep 28, 2020
    Incredibly disappointed even on though I got it on sale. The mechanics and abilities are shallow, the dialogue and story is boring and cliche - there is a distinct lack of "soul" to this game. Didn't even finish it, couldn't be bothered. Save your money.
  75. May 25, 2020
    Very shallow RPG and a bad shooter, marketed with the original Fallout team to lure old school players in a boring corridor RPG filled with American leftist pandering.

Even modders don't care or try to save that garbage, this and the exclusivity deal the game got, it's probably the most insulting RPG scam from the last years and of course the gaming press is totally accomplice.
  76. Nov 28, 2020
    I was keen to play this game given the hype, however hype always should come with a warning and this is true for Outer Worlds. It's an overly ambitious indie darling and this should be remembered when playing it.

The graphics of this game are very curious, in that it wasn't until I explored some side missions that I found more diverse and enjoyable backdrops to explore. The main story seemed rather drab and one-dimensional in terms of colour palettes. I found the enemies a bit lacking regardless of what juncture I took, as they ranged from tiny dinosaurs to mechanical terminators that I couldn't distinguish between. A significant issue I had was that I struggled to identify enemies during gunfights and even when exploring. The compass is far too vague and the clash of colours meant that enemies blended into backgrounds quite easily. This could be a problem unique to me, though.

The story of OW is very hit and miss. I like zany and eccentric characters, however OW seemed to be trying too hard to one-up Borderlands for the humour and quirkiness of characters. This leads to an impression of OW being a cheap carbon-copy of AAA games. I also discovered the hard way that ignoring side quests makes the game incredibly short. This may seem like a moot point, but OW's main quests lack anything that interests me. It goes for some sort of dystopian anti-establishment theme but again this is hit and miss.

A key feature of OW's is branching storylines and choices, however I found this was undermined substantially when I discovered that there were basically long and short methods to complete missions. The long method often involved fetch quests so this motivated me to use quicker methods such as killing characters, making some choices moot and unrewarding.

The gameplay of OW had me perplexed right until the end. The menus were messy and I had a lot of information thrown at me very early in the game instead of being introduced gradually. I also found that increasing the difficulty caused me to die very quickly and enemies became bullet sponges. What further confounded this was that I found melee attacks much more effective for about 60% of the game until I got what appeared to be better guns towards the end of the game.

However there were two intertwined elements that really marred OW for me. These are the loading screens and the vacuous sandboxes. The game is supposed to encourage exploration, however I didn't find much enjoyable to explore and environments were filled with endless junk to collect which felt like literal filler. What this led to was me using fast travel a lot, and that's where loading screens came in. I don't understand why loading times are so long for this on my PS4 Pro. It wouldn't have been half as bad an experience otherwise.

Overall, they just tried too hard with this game. By trying to give AAA publishers a middle finger, Outer Worlds lacks its own identity and brings with it the good but also the worst aspects of Ubisoft and Bethesda AAA garbage games. Having said that, AAA publishers have a lot to answer for, as their over-saturated releases are what have burned me out to the point I find genuine efforts such as Outer Worlds aren't as enjoyable for me. It's good to see that OW got the attention it deserves, however I also think it got far too many overly generous reviews. My review may be harsh, but 10/10 and 5-star reviews are ridiculously biased and blind also. Having said that, I would welcome the publisher's next game or sequel with open arms.
  77. Jan 19, 2021
    This game is the definition of meh. It's not bad, but not good. There's some moments where it shines, but also lots of moments where it is really lame. I made it close to the end and just couldn't continue. I'm not interested enough to figure out how to get past the overpowered enemies. I just don't care. I nearly finished the game 3 or 4 months ago and lost interest. I came back and haveThis game is the definition of meh. It's not bad, but not good. There's some moments where it shines, but also lots of moments where it is really lame. I made it close to the end and just couldn't continue. I'm not interested enough to figure out how to get past the overpowered enemies. I just don't care. I nearly finished the game 3 or 4 months ago and lost interest. I came back and have even less interest than before. It's a real shame for an Obsidian game. I guess we should stop judging games by the reputation of their studios (looking at you CD Project Red). Disappointing. Expand
  78. Dec 30, 2020
    In terms of stories, quests and characters, I simply could not believe how emotionally empty it was. I did not connect with any character from the game nor cared about them.
  79. Oct 27, 2020
    Outer Worlds is a miserable, shallow failure. How does a game like this get a free pass with critics and gamers, then? Well, critics can be bought with ads and they hand out hype for big names for future clout. And gamers are on some weird SJW trip against Bethesda, Microtransactions and/or Epic exclusivities.

I understand both, but don't mistake this game for an RPG or even an "action

I understand both, but don't mistake this game for an RPG or even an "action RPG". It's a short looter shooter with laughable characters and a story that only really exists on paper. You might want to focus on the main story in absence smart, diverse side missions but beware: The game is then over in less than 15 hours. The ending is hasty, and dumber than Quake 2 and Crysis put together.
  80. Nov 16, 2019
    I played for many hours with gamepass on PC. (I wouldn't recommend paying over £15 for it) Its quite amateur. The looting and gun play is Fallout but more outdated. This could have been released several years ago. Its a shallow game. The character movement is under developed. No ability to mantle, ladder use is not animated in any way, moving between environments isn't natural as it is aI played for many hours with gamepass on PC. (I wouldn't recommend paying over £15 for it) Its quite amateur. The looting and gun play is Fallout but more outdated. This could have been released several years ago. Its a shallow game. The character movement is under developed. No ability to mantle, ladder use is not animated in any way, moving between environments isn't natural as it is a brief loading screen instead of being seamless. Exploration is limited - there's invisible barriers at water and certain other places. You cannot climb low lying rocks.
    All this leads to a lack of immersion.
    Its basically cheap fun for a bit, which is fine if you haven't paid for it. Looks quite nice though.
  81. Nov 18, 2019
    It would be a solid 5/10 for a unknown developer, but for studio that claims to be the one who made F: New Vegas and claims this game is a spirit successor of NV, well.... NO. It's not in any way you'd choose: the storyline is terribly boring and short, the quests are repetitive and ununique, the NPCs are insipid and poor-written and lore is just cr*p. Even the graphics look like it's someIt would be a solid 5/10 for a unknown developer, but for studio that claims to be the one who made F: New Vegas and claims this game is a spirit successor of NV, well.... NO. It's not in any way you'd choose: the storyline is terribly boring and short, the quests are repetitive and ununique, the NPCs are insipid and poor-written and lore is just cr*p. Even the graphics look like it's some student's home project made on a free engine. Maybe it was one? Expand
  82. Nov 5, 2019
    The first world was interesting, the RPG stat systems robust, companion stories written with care, and enough mystery to keep me intrigued. However, what you're going to read here is that there was a TON of things in this game that became increasingly more annoying the longer I played.

The camera. This was the very first thing that I didn't think was a big deal at first bothered me more and more the farther along I progressed through the game. What was the point of all the gear I upgraded and looted if I can't admire how badass my character looks (Even if the same armor models are reused/reskinned a ton)? That's kind of part of the whole RPG experience. The decision to exclude a third person camera is puzzling.

Character models. Again, at first I thought this wouldn't be a big deal, but it bothered me more and more as I progressed through the game. The lip synching is near non-existent, the character animations are stiff and unrealistic, and for the life of me I can't bring myself to ever like the appearance of anything I've made through the character creator. And it's not for a lack of trying, I spent hours trying to make my ideal character before just giving up and settling for my best effort. Which to my dismay was meaningless, because THERE'S NO THIRD PERSON CAMERA. At no point did I ever get to have a glimpse of my character that I spent so much time creating. Even FO4 got this part right, and their character models were BARELY acceptable then (Which was FOUR YEARS AGO)

The loot. Every weapon was decently cool the first time around, until I realized that I was basically reusing the same weapon and armor models throughout the entire game. Progression through numbers and not appearance is wholly dissatisfying to me, especially when I got to the point that the gear I was using was better than everything I looted, which made me wonder if there was any freaking point. You get a bunch of crap that is just fodder for breaking down and repairing your vastly superior weapon, I could barely bring myself to spend any time scouring every nook and cranny for loot at the end.

The dialogue. Oh my god, the dialogue. At the beginning I was taking my time reading through everything with hopes that I would be immersing myself in the lore of the world, but jesus christ I felt like I was spending more time reading through pointless dialogue than actually playing the damn game. It doesn't help that it feels like the lore building of this game seems like it was more of a proof of concept for a starting point where things would be expanded later. I found myself skipped most of the dialogue in the later half of the game simply because most of it wasn't actually telling me anything useful.

Sound design. Primarily with the weapons. This is a little bit of a nitpick here, but again, it bothered me more and more as I progressed through the game. My weapon category of choice was long guns, mainly an assault rifle and deadeye assault rifle. It's not as noticeable with the single shot weapons, but fully automatic weapons sound like the audio of the weapon runs completely independent of the animation of the gun itself. Even when firing off single shots by tapping the trigger, it sounds like it's just about to fire that second shot before abruptly cutting off. This made my fully automatic weapons feel like they had absolutely no weight to them.

World design. Outside of the predetermined waypoints given to you by the game, there is literally zero reason to explore. The world has NO STORY to tell you outside of what it guides you through, which makes exploring entirely pointless. Even with the smaller maps, the worlds feel bland and empty.

No new game plus, no post main story content. After finishing the main story, I'm at a complete loss of words for this one. Pretty much EVERY RPG that has come out in the last year has had SOMETHING to keep you playing after you completed the game. This game has absolutely nothing, and since the dialogue system was such a slog on the first playthrough that I'm really not interested in doing it all over again, even with the different choices I know I could have made.

While the game is mostly solid with a few bugs here and there, it still feels like a half-baked product that could have used another year or so of development for a larger quantity of content before release. As it stands right now, my $60 feels wasted; not that I hated the story, I think the writing was mostly pretty good. It's just pretty much everything else in the game got old really fast, and there simply isn't enough content to garner my interest for another playthrough.
  83. Nov 16, 2019
    Very mediocre game with big premises that never delivers. It adopts many solutions from games like Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect but in a very limited way. Weren't that the case, I would gladly give higher score but the overall experience i would sum up as buying a pair of cheap abibos shoes, but in this case for a full AAA price which is really too much. I also feel fooled by criticVery mediocre game with big premises that never delivers. It adopts many solutions from games like Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect but in a very limited way. Weren't that the case, I would gladly give higher score but the overall experience i would sum up as buying a pair of cheap abibos shoes, but in this case for a full AAA price which is really too much. I also feel fooled by critic reviews here and I'm wondering if we played the same game.
    PROS:
    - Nice worldbuilding with retrofuturistic vibe.
    - Clever sneaking mechanics albeit too easy

CONS:
    - The plot opens with a good premise but then spirals towards a really unsatysfying ending. The promise of "many endings" is just marketing; in fact you have 2 endings - goody-two-shoes one and stupid one.
    - 9/10 of games' guests are MMORPG-ish fetch quests that are boring and repeteable. We visit 3 planets to collect crap from monsters here for one quest -hm I thought colony is dying? Wouldn't the resources be scarce, including fuel? Hell no, our vessel is supposedly fueled by solar power because we can freely roam back and forth for peanuts.
    - Speaking of dying colony and peanuts - people are supposedly starving, but there's a ton of food lying around not to mention food vending machines on every corner. Kinda like in Fallout 3 when 180 years after the war there were stil full-stocked fridges and cartons of cigarettes in trash bins.
    - Combat is really simple and your main oponents would be canonfodder - "marauders" that are supposedly transformed humans (?) but now uncapable of normal speak and behavior. Still capable though of wielding specialized weapons including flamethrowers and full armor, capable of camping at every road nook in Monarch - without any financial aid and organization... yeah bro.. that adds up, I guess...
    - Humor is near to nonexistent; in fact its limited only to funny adverts and occasional sarcastic remarks by your ship's AI. There is no situational humour, no absurd, no slapstick, no witty remarks from your companions. Most of the game feel boring.
    - Companions themselves are also nothing special. Game tries hard to evoke sentiment for Normandy, where crew had often something meaningful to say between the missions. Here companions angage in mindless chatter about tv series and baseball games.
    - Fractions doesn't matter in this game. The attempt to adopt system from Fallout: New Vegas was a fiasco. You can have good rep with all the fractions in the end and let's say it doesn't change much.

To sum up, I wouldn't reccomend bothering with this game. In a hindsight I could play much older games, from which Outer Worlds draws inspiration and it would be definitely time better spend.
  84. Nov 17, 2019
    I don’t understand the critics on this one. This game is so shallow. It has the facade of a Fallout game but none of the substance. No crafting, no customization. Modification is generic and uninspiring. The loot is just 4-5 tiers of the same gear, over and over again. The special weapons aren’t fun to use, the unique weapons are immediately obsolete damage wise and don’t have any specialI don’t understand the critics on this one. This game is so shallow. It has the facade of a Fallout game but none of the substance. No crafting, no customization. Modification is generic and uninspiring. The loot is just 4-5 tiers of the same gear, over and over again. The special weapons aren’t fun to use, the unique weapons are immediately obsolete damage wise and don’t have any special characteristics. There isn’t a single special item in the game for you to get excited about. The attribute system is generic. The perks are bland. Expand
  85. Nov 12, 2019
    Good dialogue, trash combat. Average overall.

Mediocre game focused on story telling, lacking a lot on the gameplay department. Trying to be humorous too hard, quite deliberate. Pity, could be much better. I think this is one of the worst RPGs I have ever played. The developers took shortcuts where we should have depth. While I'm not surprised this was launched as a $60 product,
    Good dialogue, trash combat. Average overall.

Trying to be humorous too hard, quite deliberate. Pity, could be much better.

86. Nov 6, 2019
    I've read a lot of reviews so far and the negative ones are spot-on. It's such a disappointment, it would barely be comparable to games from the early 2000's in terms of depth.

If you like exploration, this game will drive you mad. Hundreds of buildings, most of them boarded up and serve as nothing except to obscure a predictable container with ammo behind them. Invisible walls mean you spend the first X hours thinking "Oh hey I wonder if I can jump up there?" and bouncing up on containers to only get blocked by thin air, then falling 5 feet and losing half your health. Then eventually you realize that everything is confined to corridors and whoever was in charge of map design took their cues from the Bioware school of level design and you give up trying to explore.

The world and levels are so small and uninteresting, the map is nothing more than a means to separate the NPCs you're forced to talk to rather than being an enjoyable aspect of the game. None of the set pieces or objects are interactive. I cannot overstate how disappointing and even maddening this is when compared to other games in the same category.

Not that exploring and stumbling across the hidden treasure stash would yield anything exciting, given that the loot situation is surprisingly awful. You have a helmet and a suit of armour slot, and the armour that goes in those slots are inconsequential and cookie cutter, there's nothing to look forward to or work for or be delighted by. You can tinker and waste your money on increasing an items stats but it doesn't change your experience in any way.

The weapons are as morbidly inconsequential as the armour. Since you're funneled down corridors, the choice of weapon doesn't matter. You just get herded into the groups of variants one of maybe 15 mobs in the game and hold down your trigger till you can move on.

In terms of RPG aspects, after a while I realized I could just click every dialog option, every terminal option and it didn't matter. In games of this nature you can often anger an npc and suffer some consequences or just affect them somehow, but this is not a game that allows you to do much of that. Basically your stats are spent on ways to make your experience more economical, rather than changing or supporting how you play the game. Even your character choices doesn't matter in any appreciable way, your sex choice for example serves as nothing more than NPC's addressing you as "ma'am". There's nothing to it.

Then there are oodles of just pointless systems or functions that give some sort of hint at depth but don't amount to much. For example
    - There's a factions system, but aside from affecting merchant pricing there's not much to it - I can't even tell what it would take to get BAD faction standing with any of the factions.
    - There are beds to sleep on to pass time, but there's nothing that depends on time, there's not even a day or night cycle.
    - NPCs stand in the same spots for their whole existence and I'm pretty sure they don't change poses until you talk to them.
    - The planetary system is nothing more than a container facade for a half dozen zones of any consequence.
    - Your companions pretty much have little impact on the gameplay, although I think their interactions between each other is done well.
    - The time dilation feature is exactly that, just slow motion for a couple seconds.
    - Science weapons are not something you'd use when you can just kill something quickly instead.
    - Stealth and theft are just absolutely stunted. Stolen items are not missed and aside from stealing something directly in front of someone, there's no danger. But see the notes about loot being uninteresting, there's no joy from picking a lock to a hard container for example, it just holds the same boring gun you can loot from any mob.
    - Speech and charm basically just get you a couple extra lines of dialog or help you avoid wasting time shooting someone.
    - I'm not offended by the gender-provoking or sensitivity trend in games but this game intentionally mutes any typical masculinity or femininity to a point of feeling insulting.
    - And last but most important, there's nothing at all to do aside from the quests and tasks, so the game is basically a checklist interrupted by gunplay and meaningless dialog choices.

There are so many things that are lackluster about the game, I would have been livid if I paid retail price for it. It's not TERRIBLE, there's just not a whole lot that is fun or interesting or delightful about it.
  87. Nov 6, 2019
    -pros

1) I found absolutely zero bugs, this is to be commended.Also the game didnt crash for me at least not even once 2) Great visuals,you do feel like you are in another planet,really beautiful -cons 1) Boring story 2) boring companions The list could go on,in an age where bad games are all around a bland-mediocre one gets 7.7? Nah dont think so,if you find it for 15-20 bucks
    -pros

2) Great visuals,you do feel like you are in another planet,really beautiful

-cons
    1) Boring story
    2) boring companions

The list could go on,in an age where bad games are all around a bland-mediocre one gets 7.7? Nah dont think so,if you find it for 15-20 bucks at some point grab it,otherwise skip it.Even with all sidequests you are looking at a 4-5 day game worth of time tops if you play 4-5 hours tops a day.
  88. Nov 5, 2019
    Assuming I don't like arrogance, I found the entire Outer Worlds marketing campaign a little too over the top, in a negative sense.
    This is not an heir to the old Fallouts, it doesn't come close to New Vegas or even the third. The fourth really amused me more.
    I was bothered by many things in the game, first of all the fact that I find the whole design is anonymous, flat, boring. The game didn't make me fall in love with the characters or even the setting. It almost seems that they have built an action fps rpg on the lines of a classic rpg but forgetting that a rpg in the first person needs one thing: the immersion and beyond the roleplay you can do in the dialogues is not present this factor.
    I don't even want to talk about the shooting which is horrible but I wanted to dwell on the tedious and lazy character editor:

15 face preset with ugly face and perhaps the worst choice for hair, which really looks like plastic (like the rest of the game, by the way). I wasn't even able to make a character that I liked! Also 15 presets for all the npc of the game.

The plot? I don't really care and it didn't excite me

is a real step backwards for Obsidian (I loved Pillars of eternity saga 1-2 and especially Fallout: New Vegas).
     I hope for a better future sequel thanks to the acquisition of Microsoft

Final comment: thank goodness there are the mod
  89. Nov 7, 2019
    Sub-average RPG. well polished but it doesn't have a soul. combat mechanics are horrible, why do companions even have an special attack when you never need it?

It's literally too easy in every aspect, dialog choices don't matter because you always have a skill good enough to meet some check, world feels empty. UI is horrible. you get spammed with quests and you lose track. Weapons

Weapons and inventory are sub-par, there is no real difference between the kind of ranged weapons, and all the loot you can pick up is mostly useless except for selling.

In general i really had the feeling "why am i playing this" while i'm avoiding NPC's because of the nonsense they're telling, and i really didn't care anymore.

Stats and perks really don't matter. you can just choose whatever you want and you'll do fine anyway.

I don't get the high review ratings, this is just a dumb RPG shooter designed for people who do not want to think, explore, get excited when finding a unique item, or want to have a challenge.

Shame on you Obsidian. i'm reinstalling Fallout: NV just to get this bad taste out of my mouth.
  90. Nov 4, 2019
    Just thought I would give my two cents. In a nut shell, Meh!. I really had high hopes for this game but honestly, it didn't really stand out. It was a good game, but nothing that made it stand out as a great game. As for the game itself, it was polished and well made. I ran into no bugs or crashes or anything like that.

Obsidian seemed to rest in their laurels and stick the familiar

Obsidian seemed to rest in their laurels and stick the familiar instead of taking chances. This game has so much potential that they just let slip by. The leveling wasn't anything that excited you (after the first few levels). The skills were standard and the perks didn't really seem to make a difference in overall game play. So, after a few levels it was more a chore than a gift to level. I even found myself continuing to play on well after gaining a level and not bothering to go in and assign my skills/perks..

The weapons and armor are sparse, no real variety, no real "uniqueness". Likewise, the "special" weapons were far and few between and again, didn't really offer anything unique. Overall, I ended up picking a weapon I liked and just kept Tinkering it up (you see if you play the game). Likewise with weapon/armor mods. No real variety. The same mods applied to the same armor whether it was Heavy, Medium or Light armor.

Dialog and characters were pretty much standard and derivative. Again, forgettable for the most part. And I developed no real attachments to Companions. They were alright, but nothing special. In the end, they were mostly there to draw aggro for me.

The world was well done, but too similar between different planets/locations. And, just for the record, this isn't an open world game in the sense as say the later Fallout games. It's zones/maps (which makes sense as it's built on the Unreal engine) and a handful of planets/locations, which are the size you would expect for an Unreal Engine game.

And short! I finished the game in like 20 hours (on normal). I was kind of shocked when I reached a point in the game and was like "wait, this is the end battle already?". It came up quick. Now that said, I didn't complete every little side quest, but I did complete the companion quests and a bunch of the side quests in addition to the main quest. Also, I see nor real replay-ability in this game as well.

My verdict, wait until it goes on sale, or, if you have an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription (like I do) you can play it on Xbox or PC (I played it on PC) without buying it, per se. I'm glad I did play it on Game Pass instead of buying it outright on Steam (like I originally planned to) because that would have capped off my disappointment of this game.
  91. Nov 21, 2019
    4/10 Very very overly hyped, extremely mediocre game. I'm glad i got this for free and didn't have to pay 60e only to get super disappointed. I would suggest you wait until you get it for 10-15e on some discount later on.
  92. Nov 5, 2019
    I've now completed the game and the best way to summarize it is: competent, yet average.

After the hype surrounding the comparisons between Bethesda/Obsidian, I was hoping that The Outer Worlds would be healthy competition in the open-world RPG landscape. Unfortunately, this was not to be. Pros: +Looks stunning on the PC +Adequately polished game play (and seemingly bug free)

Pros:
    +Looks stunning on the PC
    +Adequately polished game play (and seemingly bug free)
    +Passable story-line
    +Humorous dialogue and good voice acting

Cons:
    -Lackluster characters and development of said characters
    -The end of the story seemed to be a huge afterthought (rushed)
    -Variety of enemies and NPC are limited/bland
    -Uninteresting weapons variety
    -There are consequential actions, but these actions mostly don't effect the environments/towns.
    -Not open world

I'd say it's worth a play through, just don't expect anything groundbreaking.
  93. Nov 25, 2019
    Writing in general is fine and you kinda have freedom of choice, but there is no spice in dialogues. Everything feels too safe. Sexual stuff is a no-no, everyone's too polite and conserved. It's filled with strong females, guys here almost always either corrupt or dumb or gay. SJW agenda all over the place. No shockers, no surprices. The only surprice is how unintresting the game isWriting in general is fine and you kinda have freedom of choice, but there is no spice in dialogues. Everything feels too safe. Sexual stuff is a no-no, everyone's too polite and conserved. It's filled with strong females, guys here almost always either corrupt or dumb or gay. SJW agenda all over the place. No shockers, no surprices. The only surprice is how unintresting the game is considering such high praise and scores. It feels like creators were beeing overly cautious about what they say and what they show, and that's boring. Sometimes art should be provocative and uncomfortable. Expand
  94. Nov 15, 2019
    Honestly, it's boring. I was a big fan of Fallout 3 back in the day, less so Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4, Fallout 76 didn't interest me. I jumped into this expecting a better version of FNV and I guess that's what this is, but the thing is - this game plays exactly like a game from 2008.

The combat is boring, enemy AI is as simple as see enemy>run towards in most direct route>attack. The AI perception is god-awful. I was sprinting around in full heavy gear and I could walk right up within 15 feet of an enemy without stealthing as long as they were facing the other way. Gun mechanics are bland and most combats are ended quickly with good aim, usually within seconds.

The NPCs are bland and boring, they simply stand around and wait for you to interact with them, completely ruining immersion. It's like something out of Morrowind!

The soundtrack is also boring, you'll basically be hearing long, slow drones repeating in the background constantly.

The story so far is uninteresting, I find myself avoiding interaction with NPCs in favour of wandering the wilderness and seeking out combat and loot. I was able to skip a portion of it by travelling a "dangerous" planet by foot to the other side, at least that was fun - finding loot 10 levels above my own.

Everything in this game feels like it was designed to be "safe" and to not take any risks. In other words, not to deviate from FNV in any significant way.

I got this game via game pass, but if I paid full retail for this game I would be mad. It's worth trying on game pass since it's so cheap but I cannot explicitly recommend it.
  95. Nov 19, 2019
    straight up im gonna say to whoever is reading this. I do not recommend, very mediocre. (summary at bottom) Like most i got in expecting it to be like fallout (and ik it isnt, but thats not the big concern). right off the bat, I could tell that you really dont have any sense of direction in this game, quests are very unclear on specifics. Something else thats annoying is if you killstraight up im gonna say to whoever is reading this. I do not recommend, very mediocre. (summary at bottom) Like most i got in expecting it to be like fallout (and ik it isnt, but thats not the big concern). right off the bat, I could tell that you really dont have any sense of direction in this game, quests are very unclear on specifics. Something else thats annoying is if you kill someone that's part of a city and you don't know. tough **** Everyone in the city will start attacking you next time u go there, even if there were 0 witnesses to you killing that one random guy. The whole main questline is just so bad. Idk how to say it, it's very unclear on what it really is and it is just not captivating, modding weapons is lame too. Things you kill are either too easy or too ridiculously hard (like **** mantiqueens), no satisfaction in killing, most of the time you don't even need to kill you can just run past everything until they de-aggro. Nothing cool to collect really like bobble heads in fallout. A huge thing for me is how boring and unsatisfying lockpicking and hacking is. u just get a bunch of ''magpicks'' and if something needs like 5 magpicks to open, u use 5 and u just hold ''e'' for 5 seconds. super lame, no skill in it, no satisfaction.

TL;DR: -Not clear on where to go for quests or any specifics
    -Mainquestline is boring, uncaptivating and just unclear, it doesn't make you wanna play it, but then exploration is also scuffed
    -If you kill someone important in some random place, the big city that he comes from will just attack you on sight next time, even if they have no witnesses of you killing that person and you didnt even know he was part of that city.
    -modding weapons and armor is pretty lame, the mods arent really that cool
    -things are either too ez or too hard to kill, not satisfying at all
    -nothing cool to collect like bobbleheads in fallout
    -Lockpicking and hacking is so... goddamn... boring, its not like in fallout where it make it a bit entertaining, u just hold ''e'' for 5 secs until it opens
    -lockpicking uses lots of ressources so u have to be picky but u dont really know if something is worth picking so that sucks
    -companions die instantly constantly, u need to upgrade ur skills to make ur companions do any stupid thing which is just unfun
    -i get this is post-apocalyptic but the map is just bland and distasteful
    i just don't recommend at all, at least i used xbox gamepass to get it, bc buying wouldve been a waste of 70$. Very disappointed and I can tell they put a lot of effort, but all in the wrong things, like dialogue is cool but they spent too much time on that compared to other stuff that needed work. Waste of 16 hours
  96. Dec 1, 2019
    this should has been a DLC for Fallout4 for quarter of it's price.
    combat is way too easy, and all the rest if very familiar. we've seen this before many times. not worth the money
  97. Nov 5, 2019
    This is not the game you probably anticipate if you played previous Obsidian games. It's not bad, but it's not good either - it fails to meet the high bar previous games have set, it's short with uninspired locations, subpar characters and absolutely no discovery. There aren't any good looting mechanics either, there aren't any challenge and the quest lines are somewhat average in writingThis is not the game you probably anticipate if you played previous Obsidian games. It's not bad, but it's not good either - it fails to meet the high bar previous games have set, it's short with uninspired locations, subpar characters and absolutely no discovery. There aren't any good looting mechanics either, there aren't any challenge and the quest lines are somewhat average in writing quality.

The saving grace of this game is a very good menagerie of options in the quest lines, and some-what successful world-building.

It's biggest sin is removing all wonder you feel when exploring, providing you with absolutely linear experience.

The inevitable DLCs may make this game better, but as it is right now it's painfully average.
  98. Nov 6, 2019
    It was obvious to anyone watching the PAX 2019 east demo that this was going to be a bit of a trash fire. It's mindboggling to me how the people who delivered Fallout: New Vegas could come up with a script as incoherent and a world as boring as this, but then again, I guess a lot can happen in ten years.
  99. Nov 2, 2019
    This is a game that seems to want to be a combination of Borderlands, Fallout, and old-school Obsidian RPG. It's fine. It's not amazing. There's nothing particularly bad about the game, but there's also almost nothing particularly great. The overall story is decent, though not terribly good. The characters are cliche and interesting, when they're not outright annoying. The one bright spotThis is a game that seems to want to be a combination of Borderlands, Fallout, and old-school Obsidian RPG. It's fine. It's not amazing. There's nothing particularly bad about the game, but there's also almost nothing particularly great. The overall story is decent, though not terribly good. The characters are cliche and interesting, when they're not outright annoying. The one bright spot is the brilliant voice acting, which should come as no surprise with the likes of Ashly Burch on the roster. The decisions made during the game don't feel all that impactful, aside from epilogue at the end of the game.

The aesthetic of the game overall seems a bit lost and confused. It looks like it wants to be Borderlands, but it lacks any real direction or cohesion, and struggles to really find its own identity anywhere. The character models are simultaneously good and awful. Good, in the customization options and attention to detail, but awful in how stiff their animations often appear, and even worse in color options. Everything is dark, and limited to a very narrow range of appearances.

For game mechanics, the gunplay feels good. Everything else is bland and uninteresting. Want to hack or pick something? Just walk up and hit a button. The perks are uninteresting and very poorly balanced; some are obviously and massively superior to others, but most seem so insignificant they hardly seem worth the time even assigning points. Consumables are nearly meaningless across the board, at least on normal difficulty. I never needed to buy ammo (I ended up accumulating almost 7,000 heavy rounds, despite consistently using an assault rifle for nearly half the game), never needed to dismantle guns for repair parts, and never needed any kind of buffs. I just kept tossing all my health consumables in a box on the ship, (including basic healing adrenos) just to reduce my carry weight. The equipment upgrade system is uninspired where it is not outright annoying.

The weapon selection is beyond terrible. People complained about lack of selection in FO4, but that game had vastly more useful weapons than this one does. Science weapons, which could have helped here, are vastly underpowered by the end of the game compared to anything else, and by the end the only guns that are really worth using are the top tier assault rifle, light machine gun, and shotgun. Everything else is vastly inferior in damage. And to make things even worse, of the limited selection that exists, many are just version 2 of a previous lower-level weapon.

Perhaps the biggest reality check for me was about halfway through the game when I realized I really didn't care about any of the characters and wanted it to just be over.

Overall, this is a fine game, but IMO not at all worth $60. If it had a retail price of $30, it would feel a lot more compelling. Even then, I would've wanted to buy it at a pretty steep discount myself. Thankfully, I hadn't yet used my $1 xbox pass on my PC, so I used that to play through this game in a few days. That was sufficient for me, as I have no compulsion to replay the game. I'd rather just go back and play through FO4 again.
  100. Nov 6, 2019
    A solid basis for a game that is let down by absolutely ham fisted writing without a hint of subtlety.

There are no nuanced choices. Either you choose the moral option or you take the most absolutely evil route possible (for no reason at all). In previous Fallout games you often had to make the choice between the lesser of two evils, you had to weigh quest rewards and the ease of completing a quest against the consequences of your actions. Now you just say "save everyone because I'm nice" or "Murder all the children because I am evil". No reason for either other than that the option is there.

This game is trying too hard to be Borderlands. There is no tension or immersion because everything is painfully self aware and ironic. An RPG where you don't care what happens because nobody seems like a real character. Just a stereotype of one.

If you want borderlands with some more dialogue, go for this. If you're expecting Fallout among the stars you will be disappointed.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 30 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 16, 2020
    The problem with this isn't that it is a bad game (far from it), but the fact that it failed to reach its true potential… or maybe the expectations were simply too high, because there's nothing here that anyone can point to and say that it is terrible. Sadly, there's almost nothing that's great either, apart from the role-playing element and the quality of writing. The gunplay? Ok. The exploration? Decent. The plot? Fine. The dominant feeling here is of a game that is good enough so that you won't hate it, but also not as good for it to be the flawless classic that it could definitely be - but again, that's probably those darn high expectations speaking, because flaws or no flaws, The Outer Worlds shouldn't be missing from any RPG collection.
  2. Dec 9, 2019
    An excellent effort from Obsidian, and though The Outer Worlds doesn’t surpass its predecessors by offering a world worth visiting over and over, the adventure it presents is more than worth the time spent.
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Dec 6, 2019
    Usually, a planet has just one or two settlements and a bit of wildlands to explore. But that’s for the best – instead of exploring miles of filler content, Outer Worlds keeps you moving from planet to planet, from one tense situation to another. [Issue#241, p.34]