6.1

1. Jan 12, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was very disapointed i bought the game for £2.99 on steam the plot doesnt make any sense at the end a monster gives you something and you stab your son the monster looks terrible as your looking for your son in a park you go around on amusment park rides not scary at all the only good bit was the hansel and gretel bit near the start if you are instersted its probably worth £1 because £10 for the most boring 70 minutes of your life is wayyy to much. Expand
  2. Aug 16, 2020
    لا يوجد سبب يدفعك للعب هذه اللعبة، بالرغم من قصر فترة تختيمها إلا أنها لا تملك شيئا جيدا إلا المغزى من القصة الذي يركز على جانب الأم وتعاملها من طفلها غير هذا الأمر لن تجد أي شيء حيد فالقصة عادية ونظام اللعب سيء والرسومات عادية إلأى ضعيفة وهكذا هو الأمر لباقي الأمورلا يوجد سبب يدفعك للعب هذه اللعبة، بالرغم من قصر فترة تختيمها إلا أنها لا تملك شيئا جيدا إلا المغزى من القصة الذي يركز على جانب الأم وتعاملها من طفلها غير هذا الأمر لن تجد أي شيء حيد فالقصة عادية ونظام اللعب سيء والرسومات عادية إلأى ضعيفة وهكذا هو الأمر لباقي الأمور
  3. Jun 28, 2018
    Horrible game company that tends to suspend their players at random and refuses to give players a reason (Except: Sorry, its extremely busy we can't answer)). I highly recommend to not deal with this company.

Funcom games are also in general extremely buggy but every game does has its unique flavor. Its just that the company is too horrible that I can't recommend any of their games.
  4. Nov 21, 2017
    The Park is a first person horror walking simulator made by FunCom, the makers of The Secret World. The game is about Lorraine, who returns to the titular park to search for her son, Callum, who has run off into the park in search of his teddy bear.

Well, maybe. This is one of those games that relies rather heavily on mind screw, and at the end, it isn’t really clear what is real and

Well, maybe.

This is one of those games that relies rather heavily on mind screw, and at the end, it isn’t really clear what is real and what is fake, or even what actually happened. The protagonist is clearly going crazy and being messed with by The Park, but in the end, the whole thing feels slightly pointless – you walk around the park in a disguised linear loop, but while you see stuff and get to know Lorraine a little bit, ultimately I was left feeling cold. Why should I care? What greater context is there? Some bad guy built an amusement park on bad land and something bad happens as a result. All of the horrible stuff doesn’t really touch me because I’m left wondering why I should care about any of it; there’s no greater connection to the world, and Lorraine isn’t a particularly sympathetic protagonist.

As a walking simulator, the only gameplay is walking around and clicking on stuff; there’s a few dozen interactive objects within the game, including a few rides that you fade to black to get into rather than organically climbing into them for whatever reason. There’s a couple weird scenes that feel kind of inconsistent with everything else and make little sense until you get towards the end, and even then, you might not realize what it meant unless you think about it (I didn’t realize what a certain scene involving electricity meant until I was writing this review).

As there isn’t really any gameplay, and the story is confusing and kind of hollow, I’m not really left with a whole lot here. The game looks nice enough – the parking lot at the start of the game looks nice, as does the park at times (especially when first entering), and there is a nice “blood running down the walls” effect, but the game is a rather generic haunted park, and while some moments are nice visually, on the whole there’s nothing particularly memorable about the game.

As a fan of The Secret World, I did enjoy the nod towards that game in the ending, and indeed, the whole game takes place in a location in that game (or at least an analogue thereof), but, really… I just couldn’t bring myself to care about this game.

My recommendation? Avoid this.
  5. Aug 24, 2016
    Good story with good voice acting and an amazing atmosphere with beautiful virtuals.
    Yes and yes the game was too short and should have cost less at release. I picked it up at a discount and it was so damn worth it. It was much better than watching a movie. I enjoyed it very much at evening and it took me about 50 minutes to complete it. I was satisfied for the 6$ I payed.
    I prefer

I prefer quality over quantity, because most of todays games is open-world and they are pure crap with brainless story and repetitive gameplay as hell makes you waste hours for nothing.

I would really love to see another game like this form this developer. And I hope it will be at least 2h long that would be enough as long as its good and have reasonable price.
  6. Jul 3, 2016
    A Shooter on Rails without the shooting.
    And without the enemies.
    In fact without anything of interest. The trailer gives the misleading impression, "The Park" is a Horror game. But its clearly not. Its just another walking simulator. With no pay off or big twist or even anything interesting happening, and a really, really bland and "story". Stop advertising your "artsy
    A Shooter on Rails without the shooting.
    And without the enemies.
    In fact without anything of interest.

The trailer gives the misleading impression, "The Park" is a Horror game.
    But its clearly not.

Its just another walking simulator.
    With no pay off or big twist or even anything interesting happening,
    and a really, really bland and "story".

Stop advertising your "artsy experience walking simulators" as games already!
  7. Jun 5, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly I’m trying to think of one good thing about this game to provide, it’s not terrible it’s just utterly forgettable. Think of it as a mixture of PT and Five Night’s at Freddy’s mixed with a dash of the incomprehensible twist building of M. Night Shyamalan. The problem is the twist they keep building seems like it’s going to go one way and have the game make sense, but then the game hightails it in a direction that doesn’t have anything to do with everything they just built.
    There were moments when I was truly invested in the story with the main character trying desperately to find her child.

Sometimes, when the game played it right, my heart truly ached for the character and I found myself hoping that she would find her son alive and well. Even when I knew she wouldn’t and the events in this story were all in her head.

There were moments, like repeatedly beating you over the head with the story of Hansel and Gretel and the fact that the main character clearly needed medication, that you believed that in a fit of insanity and desperation she killed her son and cooked him. That would have been a truly terrifying experience to get to the end only to realize it’s just her trying to rationalize with herself what she had done to her child. Instead the “twist” ending we find out that she killed her kid at an abandoned amusement park.

I don’t know what this random a-hole in a chipmunk suit, or the freak in the top hat had to do with anything. They really didn’t add much to the story. Apparently they belong to another game, which shares the same connected universe as this one, and I’m sure if I played that one I would understand. But if you’re going to throw to random characters into a game to promote another one could you at least give us a little background on them first so we know what the bloody blue hell is going on?

In the meantime, we’re distracted by a walking simulator that goes from point A to point B, with a semi-coherent story with nothing else to add to it but the occasional jump scare. Other than this woman prattling on and on, that is.

Perhaps I am judging the game just a bit too harshly, but I love horror games and so when a friend recommended "The Park" I was very excited. Knowing that it wasn't a "AAA game" I didn't expect it to be overly long and complicated; what I did expect however was a thrilling and disturbing tale. Right off the bat the game lets you know that it will "mess with your sanity." However, all it “messed with” was whether or not I was fully invested in the story or cared. By the end the constant change of pace and tone only caused me to progressively hate the main character and her whiny attitude more and more.
  8. May 6, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Park is a narrative psychological horror game that focuses on storytelling and exploration. It was developed and produced by Funcom.

The Good

The Park quickly draws you into the small world of a woman named Lorraine and her son Callum. The story begins at a local amusement park called Atlantic Island Park. They had spent the day at the park, but Callum forgot his teddy so Loraine returns to retrieve it. Upon reentering the park, Callum decides to run off, and so beings the nightmare. As you make your way through the amusement park you frequently find evidence that you are right on Callums trail.

Throughout your exploration you will encounter lots of well timed background noises. These are especially noticeable if you are wearing headphones. Though kind of long, I did enjoy the Hansel and Gretel boat ride. Dim the lights for extra realism!

The Park does a great job at making you feel like you really are inside the mind of Loraine, dealing with the stress of losing a child. Throughout most of the story, you are "teased" with quick glimpses of Callum, keeping you on your toes. One thing that I really liked was how there wasn't much build up before a scary moment. Even though most of the really good stuff was jump scares, it got me pretty much every time.

Right when you think there might actually be light at the end of the tunnel, you find your self even deeper into both your disturbed down-spiral of thoughts and fears. The best part of The Park really happens in the last half-hour of the game. If your are at all familiar with P.T., this part of the game will seem really familiar. I didn't really expect the story to go where it did at the end, but that's not a bad thing. Personally, I think the direction the story takes is left for interpretation.

The Bad

Very short.
    The best parts of the game don't happen until the last 20-30 minutes.

The Achievements

Most of the achievements in The Park are story-line related and will unlock regardless as long as you finish the story. If you are going purely for achievements, The Park is about a one hour completion. If you are having any trouble with them, be sure to check out our Achievement Guide.

Final Verdict

Overall, I enjoyed the story, but the game is very short. Even if you spend the time reading and examining everything, it should take no more that two and a half hours to finish the game. I think The Park did what it set out to do, and is worth picking up. The launch price is $12.99 (launch promotional price for PS+ and MS Gold Members is $11.69).
  9. Apr 30, 2016
    Well, I thought It was too short for the price. I've never played a game so fastly. The graphics are beautiful the story a cliche, but you'll be hypnotized by that lonelly scary world.
  10. Nov 14, 2015
    could be a decent game, but the lack of keyboard binding options makes it absolutely unplayable. the lack of rebinding options is absolutely lazy and something that is not to be tolerated in this time and age
    also the bonuses given to the secret world players make that game now a pay to win and it's unacceptable
  11. Nov 9, 2015
    A psychological horror game. It`s different then then many other horror games, as it do not try to use jump scares to make the horror alone.

It`s more like a journey of discovery and rely on the player to find the clues them self. So not so much hand holding and you can easy miss clues and even jump scares. It got a simple WASD control and some other moue button controls, so that

It got a simple WASD control and some other moue button controls, so that part is simple and good.
    If you run through the game, then this game might not be for you.

The horror and understanding on of the end, rely on you getting the clues to the story - and have something between your ears.
  12. Nov 6, 2015
    For the price, game is great, but also a little short. You have to make sure you explore all areas and just doesn't run through the game. That way you will miss out on a lot of good references and story, and the game will be much shorter. And you might not understand what you are suppose to in the game. This is very important to enhance on the experience. Atmosphere is creepy and pretty,For the price, game is great, but also a little short. You have to make sure you explore all areas and just doesn't run through the game. That way you will miss out on a lot of good references and story, and the game will be much shorter. And you might not understand what you are suppose to in the game. This is very important to enhance on the experience. Atmosphere is creepy and pretty, though there should be more areas to explore and more interactivity. Also it would be cool if you could die. All in all an 8/10 but I give it a 10/10 since some people here are rating it 1 because of stupid things like keyboard binding options. Expand
  13. Nov 5, 2015
    This game have a exciting Story with a cool graphic and the game is really creepy. Just as you would want :). The idea is cool, too but I will not spoil it. The game costs 12'99 $ on Steam. I find the end was a little bit predictable.
  14. Nov 3, 2015
    The Park is an excellent 1.5hr romp, and I hope Funcom makes more games like it (preferably still set in the TSW universe).

I give the game a solid 9.5/10. No game is perfect, and The Park has some minor details that could have been improved upon. That being said, read on. I don't normally review on Metacritic, but with the hordes of people not understanding the underlying reason for

I don't normally review on Metacritic, but with the hordes of people not understanding the underlying reason for Lorraine's flitting between frantic mother and melancholy musing, I have to help my fellow humans out.

You'll notice throughout the game (provided you are wearing at least a decent set of headphones) that the audio quality of the dialog vs the narration is different. Dialog is affected by the environment (echoes et al), while narration isn't. Pro-tip: consider the fact that you're experiencing the game through Lorraine's eyes, and therefore her mental state.

Hopefully this little tidbit helps others see the well-crafted story, setting, and open-ended possibilities for what they are: brilliant--instead of assuming that it's disjointed or haphazard.

More protips: This is the team that brought us The Secret World, so remember that. Subtle-yet-chasmic-depth is their trademark. Every word in the dialog is chosen specifically. Blonde guy probably doesn't have two jobs. Pay attention to the book-cover descriptions. Think outside the box.

Where is your god now?
  15. Nov 2, 2015
    The single-player short offering from Funcom falls very short of expectation, particularly given all the hype around this supposed "game" from the troubled games company. It's not a new concept, it's not particularly innovative and it's definitely not worth the price of admission.
    Graphically, the game looks pretty good, but you do need a super-optimised system in order to run it. Gameplay-wise, it's all on rails and is basically an over-glorified storybook told from the perspective of a protagonist who's behaviour and monologues aren't consistent with a woman looking for a lost child. Shouldn't she be running around looking for her child instead of going on rides and being nostalgic???? Hard to buy into her story.
    Really disappointing given that this is the same company that had created The Longest Journey, a comparatively much superior and well thought-out product.
    To Funcom management, do us fans a favour and go beg Ragnar Tornquist to come back and start producing amazing games again, not those lousy MMOs that you have been making lately and certainly not shameless promotional tripe like this.
  16. Nov 1, 2015
    It's alright..
    It's alright..
    The Park takes place in an abandon amusement park, with the mascot coming after you as you look for your son. It's a neat concept, but it didn't work as well as you would think. The game focuses on the story, and does a good job at building suspense, but it just doesn't work. The jumpscares are predictable and cheap, so the game unfortunately falls under that trap. But easily, the weakest part about this game is the Shout mechanic.. it's completely useless. The entire game directs you in a single direction, and the hidden pages and hand-written ones are badly placed. However, there are some redeeming qualities to this game. The graphics are very nice, a great use of the Unreal Engine; poor optimization, but still a good-looking game. It's a short game, but sometimes that's not a bad thing; most horror games suffer from a long game-period, and The Park only lasts one hour, and while the ending does feel unrewarding, this game is still short and sweet.
    Overall, The Park is a solid horror experience, but the execution of what the developers wanted the game to be didn't work like they wanted. 12.99 does seem a bit too much for this, but if you're looking for a good scare, this game will work, for the most part.

The Park gets a 6/10.
  17. Oct 31, 2015
    A fantastic psychological horror game. The devil is in the details. Taking in all cues is essential to understand and appreciate the game. Fantastic work from the devs@Funcom.
  18. Oct 30, 2015
    The technical aspect is perfect. Game runs well, and everything is nicely polished. Graphics and animations are great and the game world and objects are nicely placed and interesting.

The story on the other hand is quite bland, and the game length is much too short.
  19. Oct 29, 2015
    6/10 ... it is enjoyable - but not without (quite some) faults.

Visually it is fine - with a good design of darkness and light. An abandoned fair that - for some reason is still supplied by the electric company is always as creepy as clowns. I loved the first ride (swan ride) - with excellent storytelling and an ending with a twist - and the little scare. ... But from there on - the
    6/10 ... it is enjoyable - but not without (quite some) faults.

But from there on - the suspense became more and more a matter of progressively cheaper jump scares that - after the 10th or so - one does not care for anymore.

Due to - in my opinion - a fairly poor optimization - i had to play the game on a rather low resolution (1024x768) - on medium settings. Why is that relevant? - because i pretty much missed all the little notes. They became unreadable.
    In the end - i was a little surprised by the ending - surprised means... i had no idea what it was about. I guess i missed a little too much of the background story.

All in all - the unreal engine 4 does a good job with its light and shadow effects. Many figurines gain a wax quality though (at least that is what i call it - they look like wax figures with the very striking highlights and sharp shadows)

I do not mind that it was a short game. I do not mind that my involvement in the game was pretty irrelevant. I am rather amused that the game offered me options to interact (running/shouting) that had absolutely no effect whatsoever.
    But i do mind that the story itself was not of an appropriate quality. The good voice acting was strangely cut together - with the character sometimes casually rambling away after she had just had a near heart attack due to some scare.
  20. Oct 29, 2015
    Langweiliges Horrorspiel lohnt sich nicht unter 1 Stunde durch Null Spannung da gibt es bessere Spiele!Story ziemlich wirr und langweilig eindeutig Fehlkauf...
  21. Oct 29, 2015
    I wish I had a lot to say about this game, but it's not really a game.
    There's no fail state, there's no choice, there's no real player interaction.
    This game would be the exact same game without players, with just automated walking. It's a walking simulator, and not a very good one. Let me tell you why. I'm a long time TSW player and loved the previous takes on adventure games from
    I wish I had a lot to say about this game, but it's not really a game.
    There's no fail state, there's no choice, there's no real player interaction.
    It's a walking simulator, and not a very good one. Let me tell you why.

I'm a long time TSW player and loved the previous takes on adventure games from Funcom so I was actually "hyped" about this. I guess that in part my expectations were what killed this product for me.

So, as you start the game you are given an objective: grab that brat and take him back. No backstory, no character introduction at all. The kid was crying about his toy and then just runs (supposedly) into a closed park.
    As one enters the park, the first "this is going to be awkward" alert rang. An earthquake or similar, a complete change of environment and the main character reacted by... oh wait! The main character didn't react at all. Kinda weird for a "narrative" story in my opinion, but sure, I'll take it, after all there's a small, fast commentary about it at the top of the stairs (and that's all).

The "shout" mechanic is completely useless. That is supposed to be the mechanic that gives you the correct direction and can highlight intractable items, but it's completely unneeded since there is Zero alternative routes. You follow the path and that's it. Hidden objects (pages with lore) are badly hidden and some of them (the hand written ones) are completely impossible to read on lower spec. configurations.

By the way, let me say that this is probably one of the worst optimized walking simulators I had the displeasure to submit my rig to.

Have you player The Secret World extensively and were interested by it's lore/story? Then you might find some of all this interesting. If you haven't, then just forget it. There's nothing for you here.

The main character is completely impersonal. The shouts reveal a complete different emotion from all the rest of the voice acting (voice acting is great tho.) The scared lady giggles and laughs about some of her thoughts and newspaper pages she finds while looking for her lost kid with shouts that transmit desperation. It's just too bipolar to be believable.

Want a mystery? Not here. The plot (if you can call it that) is obvious from the start.

The main mechanic: Walk to a park ride. Enter the ride. Spend a few minutes locked down to your sit (sometimes facing nothing but other sit) with your camera locked on a 90º angle of freedom while "scary" stuff happen. I say "scary" because without freedom to move, look at, interact with anything, the stuff thrown at you can't be really scary.

The last part of the game consists in going through the same rooms again and again... and again.. and again (with slightly different assets thrown at each scene). You have a complete notion that nothing can hurt you and "lore" objects start repeating. Dull!

Looks pretty, if your computer can handle it without bursting into fire and if you're a TSW lore fan this will give you a happy nerd moment at some points. The feeling doesn't stay with you for a long time tho, since the dull move-to-another-ride will be at the next corner.

Oh, there is a couple of jump-scares. Jump-scares that feel like they were done by a first timer indie dev.
    As lame and predictable as they could be.

Also, a small hint for Funcom's future walking simulators (I hope they drop the idea of walking simulator and go full adventure game, but here's the hint nontheless): Don't break immersion on a story that has nothing to it except the immersion, with huge MMO looking load screens. That last ride entrance was awkward. Not that I was very immersed in the game at the point, since the character doesn't allow that very easily, but that load screen got awarded with a facepalm.

The best thing about this game has to be the sound. The sound engineering gave this game 98% of it's feeling. It's not innovative at all, but it's well done and sounds great.

At the end, I congratulated me for being able to spend almost 2h in this game, watching paint dry on a very bland and dull painting.

Want a good Part horror story? Try the MMO.
    This one doesn't has any value. TBH I think the The Secret World costume set and items are more valuable than this game.
  22. Oct 28, 2015
    It's and hour long! Really guys? An hour long game? I got all 14 achievements in an hour!

10/10 Would play again

...............................
  23. Oct 28, 2015
    The Park is a superb horror game. It's personal and psychological, sure there are jump scares but the deeper you get into the game the more you begin to dread the things you suspect rather than the external threats. If you consider the cost of a movie I think the cost of the game is reasonable for it's length, it certainly delivers a better horror experience than most horror movies.

The

The game echoes Silent Hill 2 and PT at times, but that's a compliment as those may be the best two horror games ever.

People who have played The Secret World will get more out of the stories than newcomers, but the game should be understandable for all, and hopefully some newcomers to the setting will be drawn into the deeper story of the MMO.
  24. Oct 27, 2015
    Some people say it was too short. I strongly disagree. The developers made it clear from the trailer just a few weeks ago it would be short and focus on the story, rather than the length of the game. Everyone should check the length of a game before buying it if they're unsure of it's quality. It took 1½ hours for me to complete it and it was a perfect length, I'd say. The price isSome people say it was too short. I strongly disagree. The developers made it clear from the trailer just a few weeks ago it would be short and focus on the story, rather than the length of the game. Everyone should check the length of a game before buying it if they're unsure of it's quality. It took 1½ hours for me to complete it and it was a perfect length, I'd say. The price is acceptable and is similar to Gone Home and Dear Esther. Two games that are also pretty short and very good.

The story was incredibly well written and it really got to me. I won't spoil it for you but it was told in a very beautiful, yet scary way. If you interact with all optional things and read as many papers as you can find, you are in for a treat. The Park has some really crazy history and you'll be able to witness this amazing new story.
  25. Oct 27, 2015
    The Park relies heavily on story. It does a good job of building mystery and has some good jump scares. But everything is overshadowed by a sudden, arbitrary end which renders your formerly interesting journey meaningless.
  26. Oct 27, 2015
    Amzing game. I really recommed playing it. Quite a unique experience. The atmosphere, sound, story, setting is top notch. Its a scary game in a diffrent way than many other horror games, and not diffrent in a bad way. Hope Funcom does more of these games.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 25 Critic Reviews

1. May 4, 2016
    While the first half of The Park tends to lean a bit too hard into the horror tropes of a spooky carnival, the final act does a really great job of developing a character with the pathos that comes from being a mother who’s having a tough time dealing with the impossible stress that comes from being a parent. Sure, it’s some of the same ground that Silent Hill games have covered in the past, but that doesn’t diminish its effectiveness.
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 12, 2016
    Norwegian horror walker drowns in overused clichés but has some really scary moments. [13/2015, p.57]
  3. Dec 29, 2015
    The Park feels like a typical soulless tie-in game, only it promotes a MMORPG instead of a summer movie.