• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Sep 25, 2007
7.2

1. Apr 11, 2016
    It's a surprisingly competent little city builder. It's the last game from the Settlers franchise I played chronologically, being extremely disappointed with the 5th one (what a wreck) and The Settlers 7. I have to say that Settlers 6 positively striked my conciousness after few games in a row. Although it's not the Settlers game I still wait for, it's a strong enough title to keep meIt's a surprisingly competent little city builder. It's the last game from the Settlers franchise I played chronologically, being extremely disappointed with the 5th one (what a wreck) and The Settlers 7. I have to say that Settlers 6 positively striked my conciousness after few games in a row. Although it's not the Settlers game I still wait for, it's a strong enough title to keep me interested in for more than a few custom games.
    There's a lot to hate and criticise in Settlers 6: the overall art-direction, **** UI and camera movement, problems with structure placing and inability of your settlers to take care of themselves where you hit the greater amount of them and your town grows up to be a bigger city. The most glaring gameplay issue is the expansion and resource planning. Say goodbye to exploring the map and sending geologists into mountains. When you enter a new zone, you get all info on a plate - deers are here, fish are here, iron is here, stone is here. There's some cattle/ship. Build an outpost and get it all to your town. It surely spoils the game itself.
    Although the production chains are simpler than in the classic Settlers before the 5th, your settlers have demands - more of them with each development level of your city and with each promotion of your knight (a hero that grants small bonuses and a different active skill). Overall, you have enough to build and oversee to keep you invested.
    The military layer of the game lacks magic from Settlers 3-4, but in exchange you get siege equipment, torches which keep the things varied enough. It's not the Settlers 5's spam units or the AI will flood you and it's not the "click attack and see what happens" we got in the Settlers 7.

If you're looking for more classic Settlers, you won't find it here. But Settlers 6 are still decent enough on their own to grant you 20+ hours of entertainment.
  2. JoshF.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Not very good at all. It gets repetative after 2 skirmish games. I say buy it used or forget about it. I am cutting my lossed after buyig this dreck and the bug-ridden mess that is The Settlers 2 the 10 Anniversary.
  3. Nov 23, 2012
    Basically my first contact with the series and a rather unpleasant surprise. Unbelievably lame story and characters (so infantile) and the gameplay itself is kinda... after 10 missions I feel like i keep doing the same **** so I'm gonna drop this, this is a very weak 6/10.
  4. Oct 8, 2019
    There is no way but to compare as there are games of the same genre on the market and I was comparing it with the game of Anno series... Hands down, Anno is much better. The mechanics for development are not easy to follow, so you don't exactly know how many of each building you need to keep your town in balance; controls are fine, but I had to use a keyboard for moving around; the storyThere is no way but to compare as there are games of the same genre on the market and I was comparing it with the game of Anno series... Hands down, Anno is much better. The mechanics for development are not easy to follow, so you don't exactly know how many of each building you need to keep your town in balance; controls are fine, but I had to use a keyboard for moving around; the story is sort of meh. I haven't played Settlers series much before (tried one of the first very long time ago and didn't like it much) and wasn't much impressed this time. It's not bad, but not good enough for me to spend my time on it. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 19 Critic Reviews

1. PC Format
    It's the same old game with prettier graphics and a half-decent story. Settlers-heads will love it, but best wait for it to appear on budget. [Nov 2007, p.52]
    Despite being the best game in the series because of some lovely visuals and good gameplay enhancements, The Settlers: Rise of an Empire still manages to screw enough things up to be aggravating.
    Unfortunately, the creators of Rise of an Empire have managed to make a Settlers game so narrow in scope and so lacking in player control that it's only slightly more interactive than dropping fish flakes in with the Neon Tetras.