6.7

1. Jun 2, 2017
    Five Word Review: Great Souls-like, love this game.
    Favorite Thing: The combat, it feels great. Body part targeting and being armored or unarmored adds a nice dimension.
    Least Favorite Thing: I wish the world felt more like a single entity. Instead it's a bunch of disjointed zones. Date Completed: 2017-06-02 Playtime: ~ 40h (100% completion, 2 playthroughs) Enjoyment: 10/10
    Five Word Review: Great Souls-like, love this game.

Date Completed: 2017-06-02
    Playtime: ~ 40h (100% completion, 2 playthroughs)
    Enjoyment: 10/10
    Recommendation: Yes, I wish I were playing it right now.
  2. May 18, 2017
    Really enjoying the hell out of this game. I wish there was a bit more diversity in the level design and enemy types, but in general its very enjoyable to play. The combat feels fluid and fair, the weapon types are great, and the theme is refreshing. If you're a Darksouls / Bloodborne fan, you'll probably really enjoy this game.
  3. May 18, 2017
    The Surge is a refreshing take on the *Souls formula, it joins Nioh in that regard and forges its own path towards something quite unique and extremely interesting -- it's a definite must-own game for *Souls fans and could entice new players with its gritty sci-fi setting.
  4. May 24, 2017
    Updated. For me it's a VERY good surprise. Graphics are above average (quite goods). Runs really well average 89 Fps. It could be more polished, sure (Deck 13 must not have the workforce of From, nor the ressources) and it lacks multiplayer support. Controls are good (playing with Xbox one elite controller). It's a bit weird to respawn (in Dark Souls it made sens) but the added counter toUpdated. For me it's a VERY good surprise. Graphics are above average (quite goods). Runs really well average 89 Fps. It could be more polished, sure (Deck 13 must not have the workforce of From, nor the ressources) and it lacks multiplayer support. Controls are good (playing with Xbox one elite controller). It's a bit weird to respawn (in Dark Souls it made sens) but the added counter to retrieve your scraps add a good pressure. It could be a major game and a step to a new fun and excitng IP. It's better than many recent released games (DOW 3 still a big disappointment to me, uninstalled it and gone back to COH2). Hope that it does well and that we can have a second iteration and what the hell, some DLC for this one. I'm not done with it yet, and at 40 hours, i still have to finish the main story (i've took my time to experiment different weapons, armor, upgrades, implants .... This is a must buy for people who love scifi, DS, rewards after difficulty ... The only downside, it could have used a bit mope diversity (some area are real mazes and it's hard to go back since it kind of all looks the same, but also making a real coherent universe). Well done Deck 13 ! Expand
  5. May 19, 2017
    Should you buy this game?

Yeah, if you are a souls fan, buy it. If only to experience the beauty that is the level design of this game. I am not talking about beautiful visual setpieces, or breathtaking panoramas. No, I am literally talking about the design, and how much thought went into it. You think DS1 had beautifully interconnected level design? You consider that the peak of
    Should you buy this game?

You think DS1 had beautifully interconnected level design? You consider that the peak of clever map design?

Think again, because this game makes DS1 level design look like its **** amateur hour. There are, as far as I can tell, only 6-7 respawn points IN THE ENTIRE GAME. And its a big **** game, trust me. And it will never, ever bother you, because the entire map is interconnected. It feels like an actual superfactory made by an actual master architect designed for fast navigation. The second map literally has something north of 15 shortcuts, and ever last one of them meaningful and effective.

On to the gameplay: The gamedesign is tight. Narrative and gameplay are perfectly intertwined. Everything in the game makes sense within the gameworld, especially the way progression works. Combat feels good. Its sharp, impactful and fair. Stamina system could be better; it functionality seems out of place; and with that I mean how the more stamina you use, the bigger the delay will be before it recharges. Very. ****. Annoying.

Now, the enemy design; there are 2 types of enemies; the humans, and the robots. Both of these require a radically different approach and you will find yourself being smashed on by the robots often early game due to how different they fight from the humans. The humans fight like you; they will try to work on reactions if they are still thinking and just try to thrash you if they are brain fried. You just try to chain combos and use your reflexes to dodge their strikes. They are very souls-ish, and if you played souls, they will feel familiar.

The robot enemies, and by extension 80% of the bosses, are a completely different case: Their attacks are brutally abrupt, and it is impossible to trade with them. If you try to fight the bots like you fight humans; with the git-gud philosophy of dark souls, well, prepared to get smashed several hundred times. I see many **** about the boss design, but there is nothing wrong with them;

To win over robots, you must exploit their AI; it is designed to be extremely predictable. You can basically make the enemy do whatever move you like if you get to grasp the AI, and then abuse the end-lag of their attacks to sneak a hit in before setting up the next bait. Bosses are the same. The second boss for example; it has this fast leg smash attack with one of his 6 legs that can very quickly chip you down if you keep getting hit. The trick? The AI trigger happens the moment you step in range, but it doesn't track nor adapt, so if you dodge immediately to the leg next to it, the bot will just smash where you were half a second ago and you get to punish the hell into it. Its great design, not bad design, and is designed specifically to require even the most ruthless of soul vets to do it over multiple times.

The main downside of the game is that weapon progression basically stops being a thing a quarter into the game. Now, all weapon catagories feel amazing, have great animations, and it really just allows you to play your style. But, there is always a clearly better weapon in each catagory; internal variety is non-existant. They all have the same movesets, all do comparable damage, and the real difference between them is their impact, their skill income and their energy gain, and between these there always tends to be one that wins at all of them anyway. Then you also have the drone system which feels completely useless to me because in a game like this, energy is much better spent on executions and energy heals.

Compare this with no multiplayer, completely fluid character progression that can be completely redone at will, and the ability to grind every upgrade currency basically at will, and you do end up with a regretable lack of replayability.

nevertheless, its an amazing experience, and I am giving it a 10 just because, must like the souls games "It is a diamond despite its flaws".
  6. Aug 31, 2019
    This game had a lot of potential. The intro scenes were excellent and the player control and graphics are good + gameplay entertaining. However after about 20 mins it becomes far too challenging to continue. Need to spend a significant amount of time leveling up before you can make it further which is annoying so I simply gave up.
  7. Aug 11, 2017
    Incredible game, and strangely underrated. I almost didn't buy it because of the reviews, but I'm glad I listened to my instincts (sci-fi Dark Souls? yes please!). I just finished it after 31 hours of play (I play slow and methodically). Combat is insanely fun and rich - I spent hours grinding for tech scrap to level up and had a blast the whole time.

The game is good in ways it doesn't

The game is good in ways it doesn't even need to be - audiologs, NPCs, all with really good voice acting - and the story is appropriately interesting and grim. It also has fantastic level design. There's only one checkpoint per area and as you progress you open up new shortcuts to get back to it.

I really hope this sells enough to warrant a sequel, because this is one of the best games I've played in years. Can't wait to dive into NG+.
  8. Jun 30, 2017
    Just finished first playthrough, just over 50 hours. I love this game.
    I have been a gamer for 30 years and this game ranks right up there for a thoroughly enjoyable and satisfying experience. I almost didnt buy it due to the comparisons with dark souls (which I didnt enjoy) but I was pleasantly surprised and have been solidly addicted since.
    I loved the level design and the enemy
    Just finished first playthrough, just over 50 hours. I love this game.
    I loved the level design and the enemy attacks, learning the layout of each level and every enemy's attack patterns and weaknesses was very satisfying. The first time you encounter a new enemy they seemed impossible, but as you learned their moves they all got easier, to the point where I was clearing out whole levels without returning to medbay by the end.
    Tag a limb, block, parry first attack, jump back to dodge next attack, then dash forward into high low high combo, to finisher. Next victim.
    Then, just when you get comfortable and cocky destroying those enemies, you move on to the next level and have to learn a whole new set of moves and remember a new map layout.
    I loved nearly every minute of it (I nearly rage quit on the fourth boss fight, had to use google's help to get me through that one}.
    Seriously, I see all these bad reviews and it just obviously didn't click with some people.
    If you are good at memorizing complex patterns- like learning a new song on a musical instrument- and you are a focused and detail oriented sort of person like me, this game is a gem. If you need the GPS in your car to get to the milkbar and back, and you think the only way to beat an enemy is go back with a bigger gun, maybe look elsewhere.
    I'm off to start new game plus!
  9. May 18, 2017
    Cutting to the chase this game stands out on it's own, even compared to the obvious Dark Souls. The combat is unforgiving but extremely rewarding to master, fast paced but methodical and fluidity is all there providing a truly visceral experience. the setting is part Dead Space and part Deus Ex. A must have for any Sci-Fi fan and especially fans of games that do not hold your hand.Cutting to the chase this game stands out on it's own, even compared to the obvious Dark Souls. The combat is unforgiving but extremely rewarding to master, fast paced but methodical and fluidity is all there providing a truly visceral experience. the setting is part Dead Space and part Deus Ex. A must have for any Sci-Fi fan and especially fans of games that do not hold your hand.

10/10 for me.
  10. Jul 3, 2017
    First of all, the game was far too easy to be mentioned in the souls-like game area. The first playthrough took me roughly 6 hours and the boss fights weren´t even the hardest fights. I got this game for about 40€, but within this 6 hours, i havent felt i spent my money well on this game. The weapon system featured a lvl system, which enhances your dmg the higher your lvl with said weaponFirst of all, the game was far too easy to be mentioned in the souls-like game area. The first playthrough took me roughly 6 hours and the boss fights weren´t even the hardest fights. I got this game for about 40€, but within this 6 hours, i havent felt i spent my money well on this game. The weapon system featured a lvl system, which enhances your dmg the higher your lvl with said weapon class is (5 classes overall: one-handed, two-handed, stab, one-side attached and two-side attached). So after spending the major part of the game (the first 70%) with one-side attached, because i havent found one single weapon which might surpass my current dmg, i havent felt the urge to lvl another weapon class for another 4 hours, just to find out that it actually sucks and i waisted time. The story was ok at best, but the lack of enemy variety and difficulty havent got me play the ng+, and the fact that almost nothing would´ve changed in the next playthrough, according to the most walkthroughs i found.
    Even though the combat system was new to me, i still dont think it is worth mentioning,
  11. Nov 8, 2019
    I tried to like this game. I really did. I had a somewhat good time in the beginning hours, but soon enough you'll see that deck 13 just can't make good games.
    Even though this is not nearly as bad as lords of the fallen, it has so many flaws that it is still not worth your time.
    The bad decisions in game design make me wonder if the devs ever played a video game before. Better yet, if they ever played a souls game, the series that they so clearly are trying to mimic here.
    Let me run you through of some the frustrations you'll encounter:
    Stats are unclear. You don't know what exactly what is the damage of you weapon or the protection your armor has. They mix a numeric scale with a scale from very low to very high to describe stats. who was the genius behind this? how do I know the damage I do? 30dmg times "high" equals what?
    Maps are very dull and it look all the same.
    The amount of branching paths in the last hours of the game is laughable.
    Your health bar means nothing. half of the bosses attacks will one shot you. The other half will two-shot you, but the first attack staggers you so the second will always hit.
    Don't even get me started on the hit boxes. On every boss fight you'll get hit by invisible hitboxes, so your only option is to memorize them by trial and error.
    Lots of cheap deaths. enemies can easily two shot you, especially if you try to run pas them.

This game had a lot of potential, but by the end of it all you'll think of is "please just end already".
    Don't play this game. You won't have fun with it. At least no enough to justify all the frustration.
  12. Dec 9, 2019
    Pros.:
    - story (reminds of Half-Life, Prey, System Shock 2 and so on);
    - game design is nice; - sound effects and secrets. Cons.: - the same enemies over and over again; - the game pushes you to craft that I hate. If you don't craft or kill enemies thousand times to have more scrap, you'll lose on the second location already; - versatility is not high enough; - cheaty enemies.
    Pros.:
    - story (reminds of Half-Life, Prey, System Shock 2 and so on);
    - game design is nice;
    - sound effects and secrets.

Cons.:
    - the same enemies over and over again;
    - versatility is not high enough;
    - cheaty enemies.

I finished half of the game and then deleted it. "Played" on youtube after. I rarely do this.
  13. Jun 25, 2019
    Overall this game is just really mediocre, gameplays smooth but kinda boring, I like the idea of chopping off the body parts. The areas are all really samey and confusing to go through and pretty lame aesthetically. Side quests are meh, There are so few bosses and the only truly good one is the final one. Wouldn't recommend but it's alright.
  14. Oct 4, 2019
    Многие механики этой игры нагло взяты из Dark Souls (Demon souls), но над ними провели действительно отличную работу. Поэтому играть в неё приятно. Так же здесь отлично сделаны анимации, приятный хоть и совсем небольшой саундтрек, и особенно я хочу отметить лор игры. Из неприятного можно припомнить баги и некоторые несущественные мелочи.Многие механики этой игры нагло взяты из Dark Souls (Demon souls), но над ними провели действительно отличную работу. Поэтому играть в неё приятно. Так же здесь отлично сделаны анимации, приятный хоть и совсем небольшой саундтрек, и особенно я хочу отметить лор игры. Из неприятного можно припомнить баги и некоторые несущественные мелочи.
  15. May 16, 2017
    This game is decent

Pros: Decent Graphics a 4k Runs great Smooth it a good mix of Darks Souls and Lords of the Fallen with a touch of The Technomancer. It has a slight learning curve but not nearly as hard as Dark Souls. You will get used to it fast. Using Xbox Controller and very comfortable with it. Combat is great if you like Dark Souls kind of feel but a little easier. Menu
    This game is decent

Pros: Decent Graphics a 4k
    Runs great
    Smooth
    Using Xbox Controller and very comfortable with it.
    Combat is great if you like Dark Souls kind of feel but a little easier.
    Menu is simple

Cons:
    Audio Voices seems a little low
    Story could be more developing but still good.
    There could be some more graphics menu options
    FOV especially and Controller isn't slow but could use a sensitivity adjuster, but there is a Camera Adjuster to clarify.

Worth $60 for sure.
  16. May 16, 2017
    Combat is ok by itself. Though in comparison with similar games it has some major flaws and is below average. Regrettably, the combat is already the best thing about this game.

The rest of the content, activities and other game elements are best described in as few words as possible as 'thin' and 'just barely enough to not be bad'. After the novelty of the combat wears off, the game

After the novelty of the combat wears off, the game offers very little in terms of motivation to finish it or even to play it again.
    Worse, the flaws in the combat and the supporting systems become glaringly obvious after a couple of hours, destroying even the last bit of incentive to play.

Ultimately, this game is ok to buy right now if your really enjoy 3rd person action combat but don't care about anything else (i.e. story, plot, characters, level design, balancing, other activities than combat...)
    If you have standards, but still want something new to play with, buy this once it's on sale.
    For anyone new to the genre, this is definitely not worth full price, probably not even worth getting on a sale.

17. May 16, 2017
    -awesome graphics
    -Sci-Fi industrial setting
    -intriguing story
    -epic crafting system and upgrades to the exoskeletons
    -keyboard controls are fantastic
    -I love the combat.
    Also, I love the epic soundtrack!
  18. Oct 16, 2019
    Criminally underrated game. It's really too bad how cancerous the community on this site has become. This game is perfect for fans of the genre. Hardcore action RPG game with lots of spectacular hidden mechanics, lore, real estate and gear to uncover. Not a game for everyone but those who appreciate the genre will love it. Helps if you have experience with dark souls. If not check out aCriminally underrated game. It's really too bad how cancerous the community on this site has become. This game is perfect for fans of the genre. Hardcore action RPG game with lots of spectacular hidden mechanics, lore, real estate and gear to uncover. Not a game for everyone but those who appreciate the genre will love it. Helps if you have experience with dark souls. If not check out a primer on the combat mechanucs. Expand
  19. ABR
    Nov 30, 2018
    After first level you will understand one thing, this game is bad. Same bosses, same dark levels, same useless level up system which gives none. Play DS Remastered instead.
  20. May 16, 2017
    First off, the intro is worth at least $10. Without spoiling it, you start the game confused because you're a handicapped dude, not some superhero. Then you're treated to a scene that can only be described as the wolverine creation scene on steroids. The intro was very immersive.

Runs wel on max settings (3570K RX480 average system) the mechanics are cool, the fighting is cool, unlike just about every console port action rpg released in the last 10 years it doesn't hold your hand.

The game isn't perfect, but it's a load of fun and i'm giving it 10/10 simply because it's so refreshing to have a dev respect their audience, it's not dumbed down to thesame level as witcher 3, batman games or just about every other action rpg console port, in this the AI actually puts up a fight, unlike the witcher 3 or batman you CAN and WILL die if you screw up.

just about every other action RPG you can chew on your mouse, roll your face over your keyboard and your guy will beat the enemy with all kinds of crazy moves, you don't make those moves, you aren't playing, games play themselves these days.

This one, you play, just for that it's brilliant, devs don't do that anymore, they think we want cutscenes and games that play themselves.

So thank you guys for making a game and not a movie with some minor interactions.

Screw you batman, witcher 3, mass effect andromeda, if i want to watch a movie, i'll take my wife to the movies. The surge beats all 3 of you because it lets ME play.
  21. May 16, 2017
    the game start pretty well but become super borring after 5/6 hours playing, every area looks the same, no real diversity, even with the trash mobs, all the same except the stuff they have, the story is just meh, at the end the only thing fun in the game is grinding for new stuff, not worth buying imo, 4/10 but with the opmisation being so bad, it's a 3.
  22. May 16, 2017
    Don't really know what to say. The combat was okay felt a bit arcadey, the level designs are trash and the enemy/boss variety is pretty bad. Its just a very generic mediocre game.
  23. May 17, 2017
    Terrible game, does nothing new, full of bugs and glitches, only 5 boring and easy bosses, the environment is always the same, no creativity, 90% of the game mechanics are copied from Souls, shameless thieves. Don't waste your time on this garbage game.
  24. May 16, 2017
    Honestly this company has finally hit its stride. I knew they were capable of something great and this game is it. I am not even half way through and I sincerely hope there are sequels and dlcs to come.

Combat takes a well known and tested formula of Dark Souls and makes it, its own. It flows clean and feels so right. Graphics and visuals are two things. Unique and beautiful to say the

Graphics and visuals are two things. Unique and beautiful to say the world they created is something truly special is an understatement.
    Story honestly like I said I am not far enough in to truly say much but so far I've found it extremely captivating and the intro sucks you in so hard and never lets go.

I truly hope this company is just hitting its first home run and I hope they turn into the next big name in gaming. (Although let's hope they go the CD project red route and stay true to themselves in the process)
  25. Apr 17, 2018
    A boring, grinding chore of a game. Gameplay mechanics are slow and clunky. Dead enemies respawn in areas you've already cleared, so be prepared to kill the exact same enemies over and over and over again. It was so awful that I refunded it.
  26. May 29, 2017
    Couldn't decide between 4 and 5 but went with 4. If you buy this game expecting a sci-fi Dark Souls as I have, you might be severely disappointed. While it is an "okay" game in it's own right it just feels lacking to me. Enemies don't click with me at all, the way combat works does not make sense to me, I feel like they tried to go for a fast paced combat like Bloodborne? But it's such aCouldn't decide between 4 and 5 but went with 4. If you buy this game expecting a sci-fi Dark Souls as I have, you might be severely disappointed. While it is an "okay" game in it's own right it just feels lacking to me. Enemies don't click with me at all, the way combat works does not make sense to me, I feel like they tried to go for a fast paced combat like Bloodborne? But it's such a lower quality combat that I just wish I was playing Bloodborne instead. Bosses feel gimmicky so they kept that going from Lords of the Fallen (which I consider a superior game to The Surge). Characters or places have no feel to them, like I finished the game last week and I can't recall what the places or characters were called while I can recite every single zone and character from DS1 that I haven't played in over 8 months.

Overall, if soulsborne never happened it would be a great game, but that series just reigns supreme and nobody comes even close when it comes to this type of games and their depth.
  27. May 30, 2017
    The combat is engaging and interesting, enemies do way too much damage so you are always under the constant threat of being killed instantly due to one wrong move. Theres a lot of weight to every action you decide to take and the game gives you a lot of leeway into letting you play however you want. If I was to rank the combat system alone, it's definitely more engaging then darksoulsThe combat is engaging and interesting, enemies do way too much damage so you are always under the constant threat of being killed instantly due to one wrong move. Theres a lot of weight to every action you decide to take and the game gives you a lot of leeway into letting you play however you want. If I was to rank the combat system alone, it's definitely more engaging then darksouls combat, but definitely not as smooth or interesting as nioh's combat.

However, the combat has one giant flaw. The way the lock on system works in this game makes fighting more than one enemy at a time an absolute nightmare, it's a seriously annoying process to lock on to one enemy, completely drop the lock on, then hope it locks onto the right enemy, then focus on his weakspot, the entire action of doing that can take several seconds. The way the game deals with this is rarely ever forcing you to fight more than one enemy at a time, and making all the enemies very similar. It's no lie to say that 80% of the enemies you fight are functionally identical with different armor. Theres some robot enemies, but they are never frequent or interesting enough to break up the monotony of the actual 50th human enemy in a row.

Grinding is literally required. Gears come in levels, and in order to complete an area you basically need the gear level of that area. If you were already doing no-weapon fatroll only challenge runs in darksouls, maybe this won't bother you, but if you want to enjoy the game, you are expected to do a fair bit of grinding for grinding sake.

Everything is unpolished, it feels like nobody playtested the game, or they tested everything in isolation and then were like "it works." and never tested how it works in each situation. Enemies frequently get stuck on objects, unable to move or attack. Enemies frequently hit weird bumps in the map and start uncontrollably vibrating. Whenever you enter an elevator if you walk in too fast the elevator wont register that you are in it, so you need to leave the elevator and walk back into it. Whenever you approach a terminal to use it, there is for some reason a small area in which it'll tell you that the button is a button instead of using the button. (seriously) So you'll have to walk a bit closer and try again. The Drone companion misses far too often for a mechanic you have absolutely no control over. (When you take out your drone it'll wait a bit then do it's attack which you can't aim or effect after you take it out, if the enemy is at a brisk walking pace it'll often miss.)

This list goes on and on. Nothing works just as it should, everything is just a little bit buggy for the entire duration of the game.

The areas are all on giant factory, and look nearly identical to eachother, no one area stands out as a particularly well designed or different experience. Often the direction the game wants you to go is completely hidden in a web of identical hallways. You'll go far far too long without reaching a shortcut, and the shortcut is always free of enemies for the most part. Often a single short cut will force you to wait through three to four psudo loading screens. (wait for the elevator, wait for the exolift)

The game is 6 areas long, theres 6 bosses, the game did literally laughably so theres almost no chance of it getting DLC/Expansion/sequel. Which is too bad because theres just not enough content in t his game. The souls-like difficulty, the loss of tech scraps don't feel like a fun or planned mechanic (Even thoughthey were) they feel like padding to keep you playing a hilariously short game for longer so they could say it's 20 hours long instead of admitting it's got 8 hours of content.

The bosses are the best the game has to offer, enemies that are completely unique and different, and... they kinda suck. It's really too bad. There's absolutely no indication of how exactly you are supposed to deal with any boss when you first meet it. In most games, even the hardest of games, your healthbar is forgiving enough or the bosses give you enough room that you can scout out the situation, get a feeling for what the boss is going to do, or what moves it has, where it's weakpoints are, and when it'll let you hit them. IF they have a pattern, or whatever.

In the surge every boss has a fairly in depth process of picking at it till it dies, some bosess even have multiple phases with it's own specific process, and good luck figuring out what they are, you are trapped in a very small room and they will kill you in one or two hits. You can die several times upon meeting a boss without learning a single thing about the boss or what it does.

5/10, it barely justifies continuing to play it to the end.
  28. May 17, 2017
    - clunky combat
    - fked up and even worse than in DS2 hitboxes
    - everyone 2 shots you in _any_ armor, sometimes even 1 shot, lol
    - unpredictable robot bosses due to a bad design, clunkyness just making these fights harder than they should be
    - bad enemy placement
    - looooong levels, longer then they should be
    - boring and repetitive "music"
    Overall: ugly DS copy from EU
  29. May 16, 2017
    The Surge
    Robot Souls
    The Surge is a souls like rpg all about the grind Here you play as either a technician who’s agile and quick or a brute who does more damage but is slower, Each have their own advantages and disadvantages of course, I chose to play as a brute. I was surprised how much I initially enjoyed this game… This game is definitely challenging but not quite at the level
    The Surge
    Robot Souls
    The Surge is a souls like rpg all about the grind
    I was surprised how much I initially enjoyed this game…
    This game is definitely challenging but not quite at the level of the souls game or nioh…
    The maps are fairly self-contained and compact here…
    This makes it very easy to memorize enemy locations when it comes to the grinding and crafting portion of the game
    the combat with regular enemies is pretty decent and feels fair.. at least when its one on one…
    you can lock onto them and target specific body parts to attempt to saw off certain gear…
    Sometimes you’ll get new gear like weapons…
    but mostly you’ll just get parts along with other scraps to craft armor from schematics you find in the world…
    there’s really no true loot system here…
    The scraps are essentially your souls..
    And like in the soul’s game if you die you have to go recollect them...
    But you are able to bank them in your medbay which is where you go to heal, level up, install new implants for added perks like consumable health, craft new weapons and armor, upgrade them, and refill your consumables…
    Leveling up just requires scraps while crafting and upgrading requires scraps as well as random items you have to pick off of enemies based on luck of course…
    and also like the souls games, going to this room respawns every enemy you’ve killed which is a gift and a curse..
    A gift because you can grind...
    worlds are small and bosses are brutal…
    youre definitely going to grind for levels and upgrades...
    a curse because once you do finally make it to a boss theyre all in your way trying do some damage to you before you even get there…
    But before we get to the bosses..
    There is definitely some cheapness going on outside of them…
    Things don’t really start getting cheap until the 2nd section of the game… here you get a drone friend which is nice… though to use them you have to fill up your energy bar a bit, but by time that happens you’ve usually already killed the enemy.. So it’s pretty useless…
    but this is where enemies start using ranged gun type weapons that you can’t do anything about but take the damage and push forward...
    And there are no health pickups here... youre relient on your implants to replenish your health except for the extremely rare refill stations... and by rare I mean like 1 in a map…
    But still it was fun to push forward, grind, find alternate paths, unlock shortcuts like demons souls so when you do die you can skip giant sections of the map to get right back to where you died
    These cheap moments were annoying and unfair... but I still didn’t mind them.. At least not as much as the boss battles…
    The bosses here aren’t hard by themselves...
    Theyre pretty simple and easy to figure out...
    the difficulty comes in the games design both level and combat…
    For starters.. Enemy attacks go right through solid objects... there is no hiding behind beams…
    That aside, This combat system was not designed for the boss battles... at least not with both classes in mind…
    the 2nd boss in the game is where I stopped…
    And I did so not because it was a tough boss…
    I knew its patterns, I knew how to defeat it...
    the problem was, as a brute... maybe this is just a brute problem…
    But as a brute the problem was the timing of this bosses attacks…
    Enemeis will telegraph their attacks..
    Give you some time to get out of the way
    But you’re locked into animations here...
    You’re able to dodge in combat, but only when you’re not attacking…
    And this boss demands quick hits and dodging...
    And this just isn’t possible to do efficiently as a brute…
    don’t get me wrong, I’d definitely get lucky and have a flawless first stage of this battle… but the 2nd stage when you have to attack it from underneath is when things really start to get unfair because your character doesn’t get out of animation fast enough for you to have time to dodge the near insta kill slam this enemies does when you’re underneath..
    Cause theres bad hit detection
    Both from enemies as id randomly lose damage during fights without being touched, and from you as your attacks will do nothing at times especially to bosses…
    Based off of what I saw though, The Surge is still a good game…
    its addictive in the way the souls games are… But at moments it falls into the category of unfair more than it does challenging and that sours the addictive and great moments that are here too I give The Surge a 7/10
  30. May 29, 2017
    Much as I wanted a sci-fi Dark Souls there's too much wrong with this game for me to enjoy.

Every single weapon type just feels wrong, the combos are wonky as hell no matter which weapon type I used and there are only like 5 different weapon types to pick from. Every weapon just didn't have the the impact or the flair of Dark Souls weapons and there's no magic or Ranged weapons to use for when your melee weapon isn't cutting it, all you have is a terrible drone that does god awful damage. The grind to upgrade gear really gets boring as the game goes on and most significant upgrades are locked behind doors that you have to progress to get through meaning even if you do grind you can't over-level the content. Armor is basically useless as everything hits you like a truck and the level design tried to be like Dark Souls but failed pretty terribly. Sometimes you'll open like 5 shortcuts in a row and other times play for hours straight without unlocking a short cut leading you to have to backtrack or fight through the same enemies over and over if you die. The controls are pretty terrible as well forcing you to activate Damage boosters as you fight but having them be in the same category as your healing items, so not only do you have to pay attention to the fight but you have to scroll through all your consumables while you're fighting. With no way to bind healing and damage buffs onto different keys. (In Dark Souls for example, Estus could be bound to always being 1 button and consumables being a different one)

Where as in Dark souls you have abilities at your disposal to deal with multiple enemies. (AoE spells, Grenade consumables, etc) the only thing you can do in the Surge is abuse the pathing, try to pull one enemy at a time and if that doesn't work pull them till they turn around and go back then hit them in the back. Which just leads to annoyance when dealing with multiple enemies as the lock on system is basically required for your character to not move like an idiot but he can't dodge 2 enemies for **** while locked on.

I never really cared for the aesthetic and would've preferred a more Warhammer 40k type of Sci-Fi Dark Souls over this futuristic Construction Worker art style. The story is given to you insanely slowly and it's not open to interpretation like Dark Souls, it's just a rather bland Post Apocalyptic setting with not much of a twist and lacks any interesting characters.

As bad as Lords of the Fallen was I actually enjoyed that a lot more than this. Hard Pass from me.
  31. Aug 7, 2018
    Painfully disappointing Dark Souls-esque game with primitive mechanics, bad linear design and immediately obvious lack of creativity. Not to mention this game respawns your enemies in the exact same spot it hits the cringe in the right place.
  32. Jun 12, 2017
    surprisingly uncreative and lacking variety...combat is dull after 1 hour

punishing difficulty and lack of save only makes you quit faster...i played to the end with god mode trainer on and even so it was a total drag

a lot more could have been done here, such as ranged weapons
  33. May 17, 2017
    cant lie this is one of the most boring games i have ever played, it is so repetitive with barely any armor sets and weapons. i had to delete this game half way through due to how boring it was lmao, definitely one of the worst games i have ever played, cant remember the last time i deleted a game due to how boring it was.
  34. May 21, 2017
    I have terrible feeling from The Surge!

- Graphics is just good enough but game content is bad.
    - There is no Mission/Quest panel to track or maps system at least.
    - Poor level design and gears system.
    - Useless conversation system from NPCs.
    If you Google any info about The Surge, less people play this game.
  35. May 26, 2017
    Average combat, extremely boring exploration, unfair difficulty. There is nothing here for souls fans. Better go replay Dark Souls because this game is is ****
  36. May 29, 2017
    First, the game leaves a positive impression. Finally a Dark Souls like game not in a fantasy setting. Now we have Sci-fi, which is refreshing in the genre. The game is not gloomy at first, she is actually quite bright, but we quickly moved to the nondescript walls of plants and there all becomes quite sad. The problem with this game is the monotony. In all. From the opponents to theFirst, the game leaves a positive impression. Finally a Dark Souls like game not in a fantasy setting. Now we have Sci-fi, which is refreshing in the genre. The game is not gloomy at first, she is actually quite bright, but we quickly moved to the nondescript walls of plants and there all becomes quite sad. The problem with this game is the monotony. In all. From the opponents to the design. Enemy types are few and their design monotonous, as they are boring. Opponents are not interesting, but hit you very well on any level hero. In General, the second location, the difficulty of the game increases. If the first location I was killing enemies in seconds, but since the second group starts dancing around the enemy: hit, jump, hit and jumped all the way up the strip xp of the enemy is at zero. Sadly. Here saves the combat system is excellent and not boring until the end of the game. The game is very dynamic, the hero moves briskly, even a rolled up. But one of the main innovations of the game is dismemberment, cut off the enemies limbs is very nice! Sometimes you do it to pick up the enemy any detail, and sometimes, to once again see a spectacular dismemberment.
    The Surge friendly game. Hero mobile, quickly uses first aid kit, and managed perfectly well with mouse and keyboard. Schedule does not cause excitement, but she well, don't, just average, although the game looks quite nice. The design is good, but, as I said, monotonous. Bosses also do not vijavat admiration. They do not surprise their design is also not surprising ,they are not original, not interesting. You bistor understand how to kill the boss and then start dull gameplay to reduce strips of xp from the boss, and bosses can kill you with just a few strokes. One mistake and you're dead. and again, the half hour to circling around the boss. If the combat system works fine with regular enemies, but bosses have just sadly beat.
    This game is a typical example of games for sale. Now the price is too high. But to buy the game is worth it! If you had your fill of Dark Souls series, then this game is for you. If you have not played Dark Souls, then try The Surge, to destroy the enemies is a pleasure!
    I want to praise the Deck 13 and Focus Home Interactive. For them, this game is definitely a new level of quality.
  37. May 19, 2017
    Good Graphics, Game feels like a rebranded ps1 game,.. just with superior graphics and physics, Somehow aids hitboxes and bad designs on alot of AI :( Sorry but i give it a 5. i would love to give it a 4, but these who just follow up new games and havent played since 1993... well Enjoy ur stupid ratning... Combat and Graphics aint EVERYTHING.
  38. May 20, 2017
    A failure of a well established formula. Game mechanics not adequate explained, with a tutorial that's abrupt and confusing. Worthless run around to bloat the runtime especially after the halfway point. Every area looks the same so it's not uncommon to get lost. Bosses with unclear mechanics and an exceptional amount of trial and error to finally beat them. Unfortunately Deck 13 hasA failure of a well established formula. Game mechanics not adequate explained, with a tutorial that's abrupt and confusing. Worthless run around to bloat the runtime especially after the halfway point. Every area looks the same so it's not uncommon to get lost. Bosses with unclear mechanics and an exceptional amount of trial and error to finally beat them. Unfortunately Deck 13 has failed, just like with Lords of the Falllen.

Don't waste your time. Even if you're a fan of the FROMsoft games, and looking to scratch that itch, just avoid this abomination.
  39. May 22, 2017
    Better than Lords of the Fallen, but not by much. Main idea of the combat system is interesting, but not enough. Other aspects of the game are awful. Bad level design, bad hitboxes, bad enemy placement. I don't know why you should play this game in the world where Dark Souls exists.
  40. Jul 26, 2018
    This isn’t a bad game, but it isn’t a great game by any stretch. The people giving this 10/10 are probably the same kind of people who enjoy dental surgery and plucking their nose hairs. The Surge is like buying a really good replica of a Rolex, after you’ve owned a real one. All the parts are there, and at a glance, it appears to be genuine, but upon further inspection it becomes clearThis isn’t a bad game, but it isn’t a great game by any stretch. The people giving this 10/10 are probably the same kind of people who enjoy dental surgery and plucking their nose hairs. The Surge is like buying a really good replica of a Rolex, after you’ve owned a real one. All the parts are there, and at a glance, it appears to be genuine, but upon further inspection it becomes clear that it’s not quite right. That’s the formula here, they took the things made the Souls games great and tried to reproduce it. Problem is, those games are greater than the sum of their parts, and Deck 13 just doesn’t quite understand how to make it all work together. It’s like they looked at the Souls games and said, “people like them because they’re hard, they have a weird story, the levels have lots of cool shortcuts, and they die a lot. Let’s do that”. Well, they’re wrong. The Surge suffers from so many stupid problems that it just ruins the entire formula. Souls games are rewarding because they’re hard, but they’re always fair. Not here, the Surge is chocked full of cheap deaths, horrible enemy placements, and horrendous difficulty spikes. The levels have lots of shortcuts, but the levels themselves are a confusing mess of claustrophobic hallways that make combat a nightmare and shortcuts that will leave you constantly disoriented. Then there are the falls that will have you throwing your controller at the wall when you drop down to what appears to be a floor but you just fall right through it and die, or the terrible clipping in some spots where it will appear there is a floor, only to plunge to your death. And of course, I would be remiss if I left out the constant, painful grind for parts and scrap. Be prepared to run the same annoying levels and enemies over and over and over and over again. Between constantly dying and having to grind, you’ll have ample opportunity to hate each and every level. I found myself ready to uninstall this after about two hours (just past my refund period on steam) so I used a trainer after about eight hours in to give myself infinite scrap and infinite life on the more absurdly difficult spots. That was the only way I could salvage something from the money I spent on this hot mess, or I would have uninstalled and cut my losses. The Surge is absolutely not worth the time and frustration it induces. I’ve put hundreds of hours into each and every one of the souls games and walked away feeling an immense sense of accomplishment at the end. Not with this game. When it was over, I felt no sense of accomplishment, only a sense of relief that it was finally over. I’m rating it a 5 just because I like the concept (dark souls meets dead space), there are some pretty neat looking bosses, and there are a few bright spots where I found myself having a decent time, but they’re few and far between. If you decide to punish yourself with this game, make sure you invest in some paint and spackle to repair the controller shaped holes in your walls when you’re done. You’re going to need it. Expand
  41. May 31, 2017
    Firstly it's inevitable to compare The Surge to the Souls and Bloodborne because it borrows so heavily. While the combat is well done, the graphics are very well done and it boasts a smooth frame rate it is missing certain things and there are certain design decisions that make this game more of an exercise in frustration and a feeling of cheap deaths that make it one that should only beFirstly it's inevitable to compare The Surge to the Souls and Bloodborne because it borrows so heavily. While the combat is well done, the graphics are very well done and it boasts a smooth frame rate it is missing certain things and there are certain design decisions that make this game more of an exercise in frustration and a feeling of cheap deaths that make it one that should only be purchased on a deep sale.

it's a shame that the story is buried under such frustrating design decisions. There is no attempt to explain your respawning after death; no "homeward bone" to use to return to save point, requiring the installation of an implant to be able to see enemy health, extremely poor environmental cues for finding your way in a level. And then there are the deaths that simply feel cheap. As a Souls Like if you will, this game is far inferior to Nioh, another game that borrows heavily from the Souls series.
  42. May 26, 2017
    For me who don´t like the Souls games , this one catched me . There is room for much improvements. But looking forward to a DLC or 2. part . People say the story isn´t good , i must disagree . It could be presented better . Maybe it´s because that there is a possibility that this can really happen with a bit of bad luck , i dont know. Great Game Deck 13.
  43. Aug 4, 2017
    A very good installation in terms of optimization, visuals and controls - as well as content - sort of.

But ... i found it to be quite boring after too short a while. The positives: - great optimization - runs amazingly well on low end computers - great customization/options - clear UI with most informations readily on screen - very good combat mechanics with enemies signaling

But ... i found it to be quite boring after too short a while.

The positives:
    - great optimization - runs amazingly well on low end computers
    - great customization/options
    - clear UI with most informations readily on screen
    - very good combat mechanics with enemies signaling attacks in a mostly fair way
    - good death mechanic with real punishment
    - excellent salvage mechanics

the negatives:
    - it felt VERY repetitive - not only because the game is a huge trial and error run - but also because a lot of enemies require very similar tactics ... and the enemies are not exactly spaced much. So i felt like fighting like 10 identical dudes with 2 handed hammers one after another in very similar environments - which of course - became rather dull quickly.
    - grinding - yes, there is a lot of grinding involved that is not the best kind of grinding....
    - unimaginative upgrade system - and the upgrades offer no real feedback in terms of increased power (usually they just remove a little more health from the enemy per hit)
    - very little variance in visuals - but maybe it is cause i did not get THAT far in the game. I would have loved to see more enclosed or even fully enclosed exo-skeletons, armor parts with more utility gadgets
    - no ranged weapon (aside from a drone pea-shooter) .. yes, that was a great disappointment for me. So the game does not allow sneaking or sniping - nor real tactical movement. If you want to get from A to B ... and there is an enemy in between - you pretty much have to melee it.
    - no character customization ... i do like to pick gender and looks of a character. But if that is not offered - i am usually happy if the character is at least somewhat exciting. (and i do not mean in a heroic way, but maybe he should not look like a 90s janitor on pain meds and acute depression)

My conclusion:

Technically good - and those that enjoy the melee are well served. There is not much variation though... ( pull, dodge, hit, dodge, dodge, hit - repeat)

If you want a little more free will and possibly a greater focus on story - this is not for you.

For me personally - it is average ... but not more.
  44. Jul 9, 2017
    This is a git gud game hard difficulty, lots of weapons and different kinds of armor, though only a few of them are really worth having, Heavy armor could use a buff and staffs a nerf, but other than that great game.
  45. Aug 18, 2018
    Im late to the Party I guess so I might have missed bugs, difficulty spikes and optimization issues, but let me tell you, if you suffer from what I call "Dark Souls fatigue" this game might be what you need.

Instead of the same scenaries the fourth game in a row, you get a Sci-Fi/Industrial environment, some places dark some places bright. Instead of outdated graphics, where you can

Instead of outdated graphics, where you can find PS2 looking textures if you look down at the right spots, you get a good looking and well performing game.

The surge offers fast paced and rewarding combat were every enemy can easily kill, but you can also obliterate them if you choose to attack weak spots and use the stagger mechanic.
    After the first level, an upgrade can be found that actually shows the "stagger bar" of the enemy allowing you to know when to attack further and when to back out.
    There is a finisher mechanic and a drone with special abilities, both using energy which is gathered by beating up enemies.

The game itself feels very Dark Soulish, if you die, you lose you xp, and it has a very open and loose quest design.The conversations are more interesting and you can actually store gathered scrap (xp/souls) if you don't have enough to level up and it offers switchable "implants" as an upgrade system.

Grinding is needed if you are not good enough, but it is not mandatory. Grinding itself however, is very fast (if you know what you are doing), you won't need to grind more than half an hour to get strong enough to be able to beat the next boss without major trouble.

The level design is good, but often very linear, there are no "multiple next levels" to choose from. A big pro for me is that the levels are very confusing and surprising the first visit, but very memorable, so there is no problem navigating through already visited areas.
    A downside is that a lot of the enemies are just humans with different weapons which can be boring and I did not notice any interesting enough piece of music in this game.

All in all this game feels refreshing and original enough to entertain me.
    If you like Dark Souls, but want some actual change, you should give it a try.
  46. May 30, 2017
    un juego genial no entiendo que le ven de malo llevo como 20 horas jugando el combate es muy similar a la saga souls pero aun asi es muy bueno y rapido
  47. May 23, 2017
    Trading souls for scrap.

Trading souls for scrap.

The Surge is a surprisingly successful Dark Souls clone set in a Sci-fi dystopian future. Attempting to emulate one of the most unique and loved (equally hated) RPG genres is a huge undertaking and for the most part The Surge succeeds. Dark Souls games are known for their brutally difficult combat, immersive environments, and unique self-overlapping level designs. For two out of three of these items The Surge hits the nail on the head. The same nerve racking, slowly expanding exploration you’ve come to expect from a Dark Souls game is duplicated to near perfection. New environments can be brutally tough until you’ve run through them a few times. The risk versus reward factor in exploration is clearly present. Developers Deck 13 interactive also created a beautiful and intriguing dystopian world. In slight contrast to Dark Souls, where the environment merely sets a tone, The Surge uses it to continue the narrative introduced in the opening cut scene. While playing Dark Souls I continually find myself captivated and equally horrified by the enemies, environments and overall tone of the game but I’m driven by Soul greed and completionist desires. With The Surge I’m also compelled by the storyline. On the less successful side is The Surge’s combat. While fast paced, challenging and fun there is an overemphasis to emulate Dark Souls style combat. Some weapons and attack animations seem artificially weighted. Ranged combat is also severely limited. The Surge is also missing a multiplayer component which has become both a saving grace for brutally difficult boss fights and a major dose of anxiety for when you are invaded, in the Dark Souls titles. The Surge does however successfully incorporate some of its own nuisances into the scrap heap. Rather than multiple classes to choose from, The Surge only has two. You can however dramatically alter your stats by swamping implants at the medbay, The Surge’s equivalent of a bonfire. When leveling up rather than locking in Stats such as Strength, the Surge has only one option, upgrade your power core. This increases the maximum amount of power available to apply implants and gear. Implants can greatly alter the way your character plays. You can alter your energy and health levels, change your consumables and apply other skills by changing your implants. While exploring I would generally alter my implants for a prolonged survivability build, using skills such as regaining health during kills. Then I would alter my implants for max health or damage for boss fights. This gave me an exciting degree of customization not found in the Dark Souls games. Ultimately the Surge is an exciting and successful addition to the Dark Souls Recipe. With that being said, if you don’t like the Dark Souls series, you won’t enjoy this game.
    Matteo311 Review score 7 out of 10.
  48. Nov 16, 2020
    It`s amazing game. A authentic souls like. Good combat, good upgrade, good arsenal. Maybe could be more development the history.
  49. Aug 7, 2020
    +Понравился стиль
    +Довольно отзывчивое управление
    -Задолбало наворачивать круги по локациям, если у тебя топографический критинизм - тебе ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    -Хорошо что не взял DLC и так поднадоело
  50. Dec 29, 2018
    I've tried Dark Souls. Hated it. This however is properly paced, awesome feel to the different weapons, and oh so polished. Haven't seen a single bug 32 hours in. Don't get this for the story, though. It's all about the gameplay.
    Edit: Second playthrough now, and boy is it still good! I'm upping it from 9 to 10. I think this is on my all time top 3.
    Edit #2: On my third playthrough and
    Edit #2: On my third playthrough and I'm retracting my story statement - the story is really cool if you pay attention to it!
  51. Apr 12, 2020
    ISt afora kao dark souls samo nekako meni totalno nezanimljiva iskreno. NEma mape to je jako smaracki borba je onako leveli su mejzovi jebote naporni faozn. Stv nema nista da privuce cak sta vise jako je naporno i dosadno. Nzm ja ne bih igrao ovo nikad vise. Kad sam ja odustao na pola igrice sve ti jano. 4 puta sam crkao jer padnem dok napadam lika jer su im leveli debilni fazon.
  52. Mar 9, 2020
    Short - The first game in over 7-8 years that has forced me to bring Cheat Engine out with insistence on poorly designed enemies that only gets more egregious as the game goes on. Do not recommend unless you're a masochist.

I'm currently I think towards the end of the resolve biolab area, I'm putting this in now because by this point I've already seen enough to warrant the semi-verbal castigation of Deck 13 and The Surge. Enemies that don't play by the rules that the Player does, erratic/semi-random enemy behavior make it impossible to really learn like you can in a half-way decent souls/soulslike game. A small list of things that I've already encountered.

-The four legged robots. They can knock off half your health with a backflip which floors you, and it's a coin toss if, by the time you get off the floor, they immediately screw you for the other half of your health with their heatseeking lunge attack. I say heatseeking because I've literally baited it, ran around a 90 degree corner, only for the robot to jank itself around the corner and hit me anyway.

-Poorly designed "stability" poise system. I can't stagger a single-rigged enemy out of their attack (like the Hammer guys through Area 2) but enemies can very easily stagger me if I reverse the situations. General rule of thumb, if you need to ask "Am I going to get staggered out of my attack" in the moment, the answer is yes. The reverse also applies, "Can I stagger the enemy out of their attack" in the moment, the answer is usually no.

-The box robots throughout the Biolabs that can literally slow you to a crawl, and god forbid you're low on stamina because some how COOLANT results in your stamina regen stopping(?!)

-Enemy attacks frequently have no wind up. Take the hammer guys again throughout the second area. If you don't proceed very cautiously, their first move is going to be knock you into the air for 40% of your HP, depriving you of the ability to dodge, block or heal, before they slam you back down with the second hit, taking off another 50%-ish percent.

-Obnoxious targeting of limbs. It's a catch 22. If you only target unarmored limbs, you won't get upgrade materials or schematics. If you target armored limbs, they can very easily wombo combo you through your attacks, again displaying the fact that the only good poise system was Dark Souls 1's.

-Tying the player's healing estus flask analog to a **** equippable. Even things like healing with energy or the injectables you get to start do very little to stop the insane amount of damage enemies do anyway.

I've tried many kinds of weapons and many kinds of rigs (Lynx, Rhino and Liquidator), and while the numbers may change, there is very little in terms of real difference.

Overall, 3/10. If your tolerance for bull**** is good, I recommend. If not, maybe pass and go play something less frustrating, like trying to fight a bear.

I'm revising this to a 0. Everything else I've seen in the final areas, Black Cerberus fight, and now the nanite masses that can do the following.

-Kill you in a rapid 3 hit combo and there's nothing you can do if you get caught.
    -Stun you so you cannot heal, block, dodge, or attack, while removing 1/3rd - 1/2 your health
    -Launch a giant rock at you that will take off 1/2 your HP
    -Multiply
    -Heal
    -Suddenly need a special execute that you have never had to use a single time in the game to that point.

So poorly designed this game, and yet people love it. I think we might need another Video Game crash to get Dev's heads back on straight.
  53. Jun 11, 2017
    The Surge After I don't expect much because this is the game half the team (Deck 13),
    who created the Lords of the Fallen.The LotF was OK, but nothing special.
    The Surge surprised me very positively, it's souls-like but it also has its ideas and new mechanics. Although the climate sci-fi isn't what I like most, but in this game isn't a problem for me. Level design is great and is
    who created the Lords of the Fallen.The LotF was OK, but nothing special.
    and new mechanics. Although the climate sci-fi isn't what I like most, but
    in this game isn't a problem for me.
    Level design is great and is comparable to Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne (great shortcuts).
    And the level of difficulty is appropriate after the disappointing level of difficulty
    in Dark Souls 3.
    I recommend this game because I'm having fun.
  54. Aug 20, 2017
    So this game is a little similar to Dark Souls, but Dark Souls didn't coin stamina based hack and slash games. If you're gonna go into this game, let alone rate/review it, I feel you need to go into it from an unbiased point of view; an open mind per say. Depending on your play style, combat can be a challenge to relatively simple; with a variety of different weapons you can switch amongSo this game is a little similar to Dark Souls, but Dark Souls didn't coin stamina based hack and slash games. If you're gonna go into this game, let alone rate/review it, I feel you need to go into it from an unbiased point of view; an open mind per say. Depending on your play style, combat can be a challenge to relatively simple; with a variety of different weapons you can switch among on the spot, whether you enjoy swinging a big hunk of metal around, or the quick style of poke in get out. It has so much to offer for however you want to play.
    Sure some enemies are difficult, and you may die to them several times, but that's how it is with so many games. You encounter a new enemy and you take your time fighting it; studying it's moves and what its weaknesses are. If you just rush right in expecting to beat it easily, then you have the wrong mind set. As with any game, your first time playing is going to be slower and more methodical because you're getting used to how it plays. Once you've mastered enemies' moves and weaknesses, then it becomes a bit easier on future playthroughs.
    Of course, this game isn't perfect; the one major case for me was that I got shot with a large projectile and it went through geometry it shouldn't have; and that was only once. Other than that, any time I felt cheated, I reevaluated how I went about certain encounters. Multiple enemies, try bringing them out one at a time; one enemy can two hit you to death; try again with different equipment and/or be more careful about how to fight them. No graphical glitches or anything like that, but even then, not every game is always gonna be perfect.
    If you're looking for a game that plays like Dark Souls/Bloodborne, then don't play this game; but if you're willing to go into this with unbiased eyes and give it a genuine try because you're interested in it, then get it and play it for all it's worth.

So from a majority of the lower ratings that I've seen, so many people are hard comparing this to Dark Souls. You've probably also done the same with Lords of the Fallen and Nioh. The problem is, these games are nothing like Dark Souls, so of course you're going to be disappointed when playing them. In my opinion, you have to look at the game(s) as a standalone rather than comparing.
    WARNING, below this I call out multiple reviews for giving poor reasons as to why they gave a low rating, and I counter their reasons with my own logic, facts, and experiences.

-"I can't recall what the places or characters were called while I can recite every single zone and character from DS1 that I haven't played in over 8 months."
    -Vilquar
    That's such a poor comparison because you've most likely clocked in hours to days of gameplay in DS1, where this game you probably stopped playing after the first playthough.

-"In this game, you've got a timer to get your **** back that can be very slightly refilled by killing targets, which is most likely just going to get you killed again, given the frankly heinous amount of damage enemies deal."
    -OberiousLocke
    Or you could just take the time to figure out the best way to defeat the enemies in your path so that they don't kill you so quickly. Also, as I've heard ENB say about Dark Souls (paraphrasing): don't worry about losing your souls, you can always get more. Plenty of times, on the way to recover your scraps in The Surge, you'll have collected the same amount you lost, doubling your scrap count. So there's no reason to rush to your death.

-"Bosses with unclear mechanics and an exceptional amount of trial and error to finally beat them."
    -Caliburn89
    Are you just not invested in playing the game then? Out of the other games you play that take trial and error, how long does it take to figure out the bosses weakness, and then follow through on actually beating them? I'm not sure how you examine boss fights, but for me, the weaknesses were pretty straight forward, it just took time to get into a groove and then beat them. Any game that has good difficulty and is a challenge is going to take time to examine and beat. If you want bosses that lay out their weaknesses right in front of your face and are a breeze to defeat, then you're in the wrong place.

-"...barely any armor sets and weapons. i had to delete this game half way through due to how boring it was..."
    -elitepredetor99
    I'm sorry, do you even know the mechanics of the game and how you get armor sets and weapons? I crafted all the armor sets and pretty sure got all the weapons; there is so much variety. As for "halfway through", how do you know you uninstalled halfway through if you didn't even finish the game? Also why are you rating/reviewing the game if you didn't finish? Wouldn't that mean your opinion is impartial since you don't know what "half" of the game still had in store?
  55. Aug 28, 2017
    Really good game, had a lot of fun. Looked pretty good, ran very stably. Difficulty was a bit spiky in places but after many hundreds of hours in similar games, I knew to push through it. I'm very glad I did, it was worth the time.

Had a number of 'wtf next?' moments as the game doesn't always do a great job of explaining what to do next. A few NPCs appeared to just disappear, maybe I just missed their questlines.

Not in any great rush to replay, as the enemies lacked variety towards the end, and it can be a little frustrating at times, especially the final area which is a maze. Still, an fun and different experience, all set up for substantial DLC or a sequel.
  56. May 9, 2019
    If you like running into recycled enemies of the same exact type every 10 meters while you run into recycled textures every 20 meters, then the Surge is for you. If you also like every enemy to follow the same exact principle, then go ahead and buy this... gem. You have 5 whole bosses to look forward to. Who all suck. Armour and levels don't matter, but they exist for some reason. You'llIf you like running into recycled enemies of the same exact type every 10 meters while you run into recycled textures every 20 meters, then the Surge is for you. If you also like every enemy to follow the same exact principle, then go ahead and buy this... gem. You have 5 whole bosses to look forward to. Who all suck. Armour and levels don't matter, but they exist for some reason. You'll get two-shot by most enemies whatever you wear though, so choose your **** looking yellow suit with pointless stats over the **** looking blue one if you want. It literally makes no difference. There is literally no reason beyond wanting to play a worse version of a type of game to choose this over the Souls franchise, Salt and Sanctuary, Ashen, Nioh etc. This is THE worst 'Soulslike' by far. Expand
  57. Jul 9, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played worse games. Namely, most games made by EA in the past 7 years. This game starts out pretty cool, the story seems unique and the game play seems like it might be cool for the fors hour or so, but that is when it stops. After spending 8-10 hours playing this game you notice how **** it really is. Thefame play loop is the exact same 3 moves, the enemies constantly scale up above your level s on no matter how much you level your character, you are always weak. Further more, if you die, you lose all your **** uh unless you can get back to your stuff without dieing a second time. I lost 4 levels worth of stuff because it suprise spawned me. Tthe mechanics are ****, the controls suck , the story is lack luster and the graphics are dated. I have played worse games, but this is at the bottom of the **** pile for sure. Expand
  58. Oct 22, 2020
    It's bad.
    It's so bad.
    Bad as in you get to understand why and how similar games like Dark Souls are good. The level design is horrendous and easily THE worst part of this unoriginal pile of junk. Maps are labyrinthian and paths more than often lead to dead ends, shortcuts to nowhere and severe migranes trying to figure out the way forward. The environments all look identical in every
    It's bad.
    It's so bad.
    The environments all look identical in every single area.
    BUT I GUESS DARK SOULS DIDNT HAVE A MAP SO THERES NO NEED FOR ONE THERE.
    Enemies are bland at best and absolutely horrible at worst and there's not enough blandess in there to patch out the awfulness.
    Bosses are just plain dumb with very little tells as to what attack is coming, where it's coming from and how fast it's going to hit you.
    Mostly it's either guesswork and/or facetanking until it breaks.
    Last boss just straight up goes from standing still to AoE damage in less than a second.
    Went for political commentary on overcorporatisation and climate change until it didn't and just decided to roll with a **** Terminator ripoff.
    Targeting body parts is to loot armor is fine i guess but when you have to fiddle with the controls for a good 10 seconds to target a leg before engaging it gets old real fast.
    CBA, went full caveman and bashed heads until the end of the game.
    Weapon proficiency is dumb AF and disincentivises trying out other playstyles.

Had to push myself to finish this **** and honestly, its not worth it.

Dont bother.
  59. Aug 3, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Я люблю souls-like игры, однако робосеттинг мне почему-то не зашёл. Вообще игра неплохая, хотя, конечно, не дотягивает до оригинала. Унылые локации, однообразные враги, да и в целом бои с роботами на мечах смотрятся смешно. Expand
  60. Jul 11, 2020
    A-
    "A sci-fi dark souls" can be used to describe this game.
    Gameplay is good, different weapons has different move sets and this makes each weapon type unique with its reach, move set, speed and damage. Dismemberment system is interesting and fun. When you need to upgrade an equipment of yours you need parts from enemies for that type of equipment. Boss fights are not hard but some of
    A-
    "A sci-fi dark souls" can be used to describe this game.
    Dismemberment system is interesting and fun.
    Boss fights are not hard but some of them has ways you cannot find out immediately to beat them and this makes you think that game is broken or something but no you just missed something.
    Recommended for soulslike fans.
  61. Dec 1, 2020
    Неплохая игра, отличительной особенностью которой является возможность бить по отдельным частям тела и отрубать их. Сама по себе игра короткая, из-за чего не надоедает и быстро проходится.
  62. May 4, 2021
    I liked: Juicy fights(sounds and visual), pleasant musical solutions(like a calm measured sound in the open space of a factory, or classical music in the administrative sector). Visually, the game is good, albeit sharpy-made. Especially I liked the light and foliage in the mentioned administration, it's a very beautiful solution. Excellent optimization... I really liked the idea ofI liked: Juicy fights(sounds and visual), pleasant musical solutions(like a calm measured sound in the open space of a factory, or classical music in the administrative sector). Visually, the game is good, albeit sharpy-made. Especially I liked the light and foliage in the mentioned administration, it's a very beautiful solution. Excellent optimization... I really liked the idea of ​​bringing something new to the soul's genre(techno, not the Middle Ages). The bosses were very good, interesting and different.
    I liked the general plot of the game. Well, I will not say that it was something particularly exciting, but it was interesting.
    ...
    I disliked: I was wildly enraged by the music in the save zone. An extremely unfortunate choice for constant listening, in my opinion. I really did not like the impossibility to disassemble the weapon. There is no game map(screens are almost useless). A drone is almost useless junk. All energy is much more relevant to spend on other things. Only two drones were interesting: defensive and laser (to lure out the enemy without wasting energy). I will not say that I especially noticed the difference in armor - one, two punches from almost all enemies are sent you to your ancestors. So it is not the characteristics that matter in 90% of them, but what bonus is given for the full set.
    And lastly: I didn't like the way the authors finished the game. The ending itself was interesting, but disappointing with what happened during the subtitles, and wildly laughing at the appearance of a wheelchair... How the hell could it appear there?! ...What is this a cheap trick, c'mon?
  63. Jan 7, 2019
    I'm not sure how to begin to approach my analysis of this game from a more or less fair and orderly point of view, so I'll start by saying something very direct, simple and visceral: The game has surprised me a lot, in a good way.

Well, now let's try to go through its different facets. Let's start with the playable aspect. I know, we're all fed up with everything being compared to

I know, we're all fed up with everything being compared to Dark Souls (or his father Demons Souls), but the reality is that it's a game that consolidated a template of design of levels, progression and mechanics on which other games later have been based in a way difficult to ignore. That template to which I refer, from my point of view and superficially, would come to define mainly two things:
    - A labyrinthine design of levels/scenarios, with checkpoints very far from each other, in which you will have to go finding and unlocking shortcuts to be able to go advancing by a zone plagued by individually very hard enemies to finally face a final boss that unlocks the access to a new zone.
    - Your character will go up in level thanks to the points that will be getting with the death of each enemy or the obtaining of various items. These points can only be redeemed for experience in the different checkpoints, allowing you to level up your character. If you die, you will lose all your points, that you had not previously spent, and you will have to arrive at the zone where you died to recover them, if you die before obtaining them, these points will be lost definitively. If you decide to return to the checkpoint in order to redeem the points, all enemies in the area will reappear.

Let's talk now about the atmosphere, for me the strong point of The Surge, together with the combat, which we will talk about later. The Surge situates us in the facilities of a great technological company at the end of the 21st century, in which a mysterious incident has occurred in which a large part of the employees, equipped with robotic suits in a style that reminds us of films like Elysium or Chappie, have become aggressive. We will not only have to focus on these employees, but also on drones and different types of robots. We will have to make our way from the outermost areas of the company to the company's most internal and secret facilities and laboratories. Although these areas may be visually somewhat similar, it must be said that they manage to create a very authentic and immersive atmosphere.

The story is presented to us, in a quite crumbled form, distributed between audio notes, videos broadcast by giant screens distributed by the facilities and through conversations with NPCs. The plot revolves around two mysterious projects (Resolve and Utopia) developed by this company, which supposedly aimed to save humanity from an advanced state of decadence and pollution in which it is submerged. As history progresses, it goes from having a more industrial touch to one more of science fiction.

The combat system would come to be a mixture of Lords of The Fallen (game developed by the same studio), for the heaviness and forcefulness of their melee attacks, and Bloodborne, since this time we are going to have to focus on dodging in a quite agile way (and occasionally block with the same weapon we use to attack). But in addition The Surge incorporates here a new dynamic, that is the possibility of choosing which part of the body of the enemy we want to attack, centering this way our blows on this zone and having the possibility of realizing a final attack that cuts off this part. In this way, choosing the different parts of the body of our enemies, we can get new weapons and armor for personal use.

The Surge is the opposite of a linear game, not only are the areas incredibly labyrinthine, but the adventure itself will force us to go back over previously completed areas to access new areas and continue with the adventure. The feeling of being lost and not knowing exactly where we have to go is present much of the time.

And to finish saying that visually the game looks great, and both the characters and the scenarios are made in great detail. In my case, it has taken me about 25 hours to complete it, without guides or help, but more than a fool going around in all areas to find the right way to continue. Once completed, the game offers the possibility of New Game+, so you can say that it is a game easily replayable.

And little more to say, I hope to have reflected in a more or less objective way my impressions and that has helped you to get an idea of what you can expect in The Surge.
  64. Apr 16, 2019
    good combat, everything else is boring.....................................
  65. Apr 21, 2021
    Excellent... Amazing...
    Awesome... MasterPiece...
    ❤️Thank You Deck 13❤️
  66. Dec 6, 2019
    The surge was a pleasant surprise for me. Unusual and exciting character leveling system. Well-designed and interesting levels. And most importantly for me: the atmosphere of Sci-fi and cyberpunk.
  67. Feb 5, 2022
    Imagine Dark Souls with non of the good features and most of the negative aspects of it given more screen-time.

That's The Surge.

Creo world DLC is good while the Wild West themed DLC is rather poor and a waste of time.
  68. Aug 6, 2021
    Геймплей с отсечением конечностей задумка прикольная и реализована неплохо. Но в игре вообще не понятно куда идти и это бесит больше всего.
  69. Jan 6, 2021
    It is NOT Dark Souls.
    Some "reviewers" here are saying that Uninstalled the game after playing "half" of it...maybe because it was a bit hard to keep going ahead,or maybe because there was no "demon" to deal with,or a fat mage that keep spaming spells against you.
    It is NOT Dark Souls.
    This is not a useful review but it is my opinion,i finished The Surge and The Surge 2 in New Game+ and it never felt repetitive or boring to me,because it is not Dark Souls bs.
  70. May 22, 2021
    Way better than Lords of the Fallen, too bad the bosses were just 5 and they kinda suck, but the rest is good.
  71. Jun 1, 2021
    This game starts with some great ideas:
    This game starts with some great ideas:
    Cutting body parts of enemies to build better equipment, explore new gear sets and implants to overcome stronger enemies, destroy big machine bosses with skill and good equipment. With all the ideas the first 3-6 hours can be fun. But the downsite of the game shows also very fast: The gameplay is very static, enemie routes are maybe 5 meters long, the most enemies do not move at all and prefer to bang their head against some wall, while grunting. Stealth mechanics are also pretty non existent, sure you can sneak in form of very slow movement to an enemy, but there seems no real crit system, there is no ability tree except for weappns and so on. The game therefore feels static and repetitive after some hours, no dynamic gameplay can eb found on the AI. Enemies arent warning each other, there are no alarm bells you can kill an enemy while another stands 6 meters away and stares at the fight.
    But the problems of static and dumb AI could be put aside, when the game would offer intersting points on some other side. Here the game also fails utterly: The story could be a reason to keep playing, but it is just a bunch of random story pics from classic sci-fi themes: mad professor who broke moral laws to save mankind? check. Human progression through technical implants? Check. Danger of technology in form of some virus, which took control of the enhanced robo humans??? Check. This goes so far, that mr.evilgenius even has to face the player behind some lab-window to talk the average mad-evil-genius-blabla as in thousands of games and movies before. And this is the point, where i have to say, the negative elements of this game destroy every good new and innovative impression i had in the start. Th gameplay feels static, the story is utterly garbage, the grinding was cool at beginning of the new millenia, but geeez we got 2020, we dont need no more eviolgenius scientists behind some glasses, static mobs and dumb AIs.
  72. Jun 2, 2022
    Nettes. Spiel es hat echt viel Spaß gemacht. Mehr davon! Nicht zu lang, nicht zu kurz. Genau richtig.
  73. Feb 26, 2022
    The Surge is an action role-playing game with the souls-like game mechanics. The souls-like mechanics are mechanics that make the player have to grind for the upgrading currency by killing the enemy or using the item, which will be lost if the player dies. However, the player has the chance to get it back once revived, but if the player dies, they lose it permanently. Moreover, this gameThe Surge is an action role-playing game with the souls-like game mechanics. The souls-like mechanics are mechanics that make the player have to grind for the upgrading currency by killing the enemy or using the item, which will be lost if the player dies. However, the player has the chance to get it back once revived, but if the player dies, they lose it permanently. Moreover, this game takes it another step further in terms of challenge by limiting the time for the player to retrieve it. The movement and action of this game are flawless, smooth, and precise. This game provides the mechanics of hitting the target body part, where a player could select the part that is vulnerable or the target part to cut. It is easy to control and understand, like moving your own arm and hand. Furthermore, this mechanic relates to the stamina status, which will be used on every movement you do except walking, and the energy status for special moves, so the player has to consider their actions and decisions wisely. In terms of challenge, players have low health, limited health restoration items, and the enemy will hit you very hard, even the started enemy. This forces the player to learn how to dodge and block the attacks, and they can't be careless or else the game will punish them very hard. With all the systems mentioned previously, this game is not recommended for the casual, impatient, or time-constrained player. This game's story and gameplay are very serious and brutal, so the player needs to have consideration and not have depression. The price of the game is reasonable with its impressive graphics in 2017. It is definitely worth the cost. The downside to this game might be the optimization. Because it's an old game, it doesn't have the boardless windows feature. Furthermore, it is possible that it will crash at some point. In conclusion, this game is very fun and highly recommended for challenge players and others. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 33 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 14, 2017
    Bringing a Dead Space-style SF horror atmosphere to a Dark Souls-inspired action game makes things interesting, and the speedy battle system, which includes cutting off body parts and crafting elements, is a success. However, the somewhat dull pace of the game results in the player dying a bit too often, leaving plenty of room for improvement when it comes to the game’s overall balance.
  2. Jul 23, 2017
    I wanted to say something about the story, but it is nothingburger… just like everything else in The Surge.
  3. Jun 30, 2017
    Despite some pacing and story flaws, the thoughtful, tactical combat is always engrossing. [Issue#263, p.58]