8.9

1. Oct 13, 2013
    TellTale almost does it again. As with The Walking Dead, TellTale took what could have been a perfect 10 and threw it away by forcing the player to decide between blatantly right and blatantly wrong choices. These games were made and marketed for adults not children. The stories should play out assuming the player is an adult. Having played through the 1st Chapter twice now, makingTellTale almost does it again. As with The Walking Dead, TellTale took what could have been a perfect 10 and threw it away by forcing the player to decide between blatantly right and blatantly wrong choices. These games were made and marketed for adults not children. The stories should play out assuming the player is an adult. Having played through the 1st Chapter twice now, making different decisions both times, I can say with 100% certainty that TellTale has once again made a game that either rewards or punishes the player based on the decisions they make as opposed to creating a story that genuinely changes based on those decisions.

Remember the end of The Walking Dead when the owner of the ransacked car takes all the decisions you made during the game and crams them down your throat? Well do you remember how badly that ruined any sense of meaning or immersion the game held? The Wolf Among Us starts this process right out of the gate from chapter 1. I wont spoil anything but if you play through twice and pick different decisions for the obviously crucial choices this will become immediately evident.

I was hoping for an immersive interactive story that changed and played out in different but equally as engaging ways. However what we got here is another story that plays out essentially the same no matter what decisions the player makes with more or less rewarding outcomes based on whether or not the player makes what the developers believe to be the "right or wrong" decisions.

As an adult, I don't want "right or wrong." I want different. I want genuine choice and variety. TellTale has once again failed to deliver on this and wasted so much potential. As it is, It's still not a bad game, better than average. But it's not by any means the masterpiece everyone is touting it to be.

2. Oct 15, 2013
    they should've made this into an animated series rather than a pseudo game. storytelling is excellent but there's no gameplay as such(for a point&click game), and i bet your actions don't have any serious consequences this time around as well. around 2hrs long and dumbed down for the (console) masses... left me a bit disappointed. QTE... this is nowhere gameplaywise compared to monkey island 1-2
  3. Nov 14, 2013
    Let's see... Skyrim $50 for 603 hours play time, Wolf Among Us $25 for for 2 hours play time....

The premise is engaging but it feels like a rip-off to me!
  4. Dec 13, 2013
    game has nice art visuals
    detail
    female beauty
    retelling of fable series
    ~2 hour gameplay
    quick choice driven telltale usual
    nothing extraordinary
  5. Oct 13, 2013
    Only tho we have only been able to play the game partly it was easy to get lost in the game world. i often found myself REALLY caring about my decisions and being immersed in the different characters personalities.
  6. Apr 10, 2014
    This is an artistic 10/10. Brilliant feeling watching the whole thing but I bought this on Steam assuming I was getting at 5 episodes for the price (£18). Steam do not tell you at all that you're getting the single first episode on there. I actually spent 5 minutes trying to work out where Episode Two was after completing the first episode in just 3hrs.

Guys: fantastic vision, art

Guys: fantastic vision, art direction, animation and everything in "that" department but come on, 3hrs of a well executed but ultimately linear story is nuts for that kind of price. Surely there's a better way the devs there could have done that. A sliding scale fee maybe? £7.50/$10 for the first, £5 for the second or something? I actually find it hard to believe many people would knowing spend £18 and almost feel I've been cheated out the money.
  7. May 15, 2020
    Not a big fan of the telltale games, but this one had a lot of promise and is worth checking out

Generally favorable reviews - based on 45 Critic Reviews

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    Wolf Among Us is great, better than the original comic. Willingham, take notes! [Nov 2013]
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Dec 28, 2013
    Here's hoping the rest lives up to this stellar first episode. [Jan 2014, p.79]
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    A new benchmark for “branching narrative” games. The Wolf Among Us turns players into viewers by almost ditching gameplay, but you will enjoy watching this show.