8.3

1. Nov 19, 2014
    Like every other survival game out there, I have to give this game a nil score.

How, exactly, with a simple metal working station did I make a shovel and crowbar? Think about it for a few minutes. It's not physically possible. I need forging equipment to do that. Tools don't last long enough and should be something you look for and find, not something you have to constantly make and
    Like every other survival game out there, I have to give this game a nil score.

Tools don't last long enough and should be something you look for and find, not something you have to constantly make and replace. That makes zero sense. Has no one ever used a crowbar before? In my time as a renovator I met people that had bought crowbars thirty years ago that they were still using, and they were using them a hell of a lot more than what you do in this game.

Why, exactly, does my rainwater - CLEAN WATER - need filters? Why would I need to set up the collector every time for this? You would just set it up once and let it collect as much as possible. This doesn't make sense. If the argument is that it is from a contaminated source, a filter doesn't do anything unless it is chemical contamination (which generally will not be a problem). The more pressing issue is biological contaminants, which means boiling, not filtering.

Why can't I use a brick, piece of wood or rubble as makeshift weaponry?

Are none of these books guides on how to make simple traps that don't require manufacturing?

I could go on ENDLESSLY. I have yet to test to see how the hunger mechanics work, but in real life it takes THREE WEEKS before your body shuts down from lack of food. Vastly more important? Water; without which you will go into kidney failure in three days.

The makers claim to have lived through a warzone? Sorry, I'm not buying it. There is far too much that makes no sense for that to be true. I'm a practiced survivalist and this game made zero sense to me.

How is it that you can't go outside during the day, but some random idiot that wants to trade can?

Why are people showing up at my door and NOT telling me what makes them useful in order to convince me it's a good idea to let them in?

Why can only one guy go scavenging at a time, even though in real life that would be nearly suicidal?

I just don't see it. I didn't feel like I was in a war zone: I felt like I was in a bad game made by people who have zero understanding of survival. The fact that this game gets a good score shows the ignorance of the gamers and the reviewers. This is not an immersive game nor even a good game. This is a bunch of pandering and nothing more. I read a claim that the makers had actually been in a warzone. I'm calling BS. If they had been, they'd know everything that I'd just questioned over the immersion.

This game is, like all other survival games I've tried, absolutely terrible and a prime example of why I don't pay for video games until after I've tried it. This game was so bad that I should have been paid money to play it.
  2. Jan 7, 2015
    This game is boring, I don't know why it gets so many good reviews, you basically do the same thing every play trough. It's not interesting or fun unless you like depressing games where you feel powerless to do anything. This game is not worth 20$ maybe it would be worth it at 5$, not enough content to be interesting
  3. Dec 26, 2014
    The 2 biggest problems with this survival sim are:
    1) The game will force its idea of right and wrong upon you and if you try to stray from those morals for even a SECOND, you will get curbstomped into the ground until you comply.
    The 2 biggest problems with this survival sim are:
    2) There's not that much content. The gameplay is artificially extended by forcing you to do the same actions over and over again and there's nothing past scavenging and crafting a few things.
  4. Dec 28, 2018
    Although it's a great game, one of my characters died at the 29th day (night) due to poor game mechanics issue: I was armed with a gun, had bullets, helmet and had valuable stuff with me and I was stabbed to death because the **** character couldn't shoot the bloody thug. Clicked on the icon like hell but poor dev work made the character numb and dumb, waiting for unnecessary death. So allAlthough it's a great game, one of my characters died at the 29th day (night) due to poor game mechanics issue: I was armed with a gun, had bullets, helmet and had valuable stuff with me and I was stabbed to death because the **** character couldn't shoot the bloody thug. Clicked on the icon like hell but poor dev work made the character numb and dumb, waiting for unnecessary death. So all the devs may go to **** themselves with their "your choices and death is permanent" **** Unfortunately, a survival game must not **** have such a **** glitch - if the character is unable to **** shoot and move, I'd have left him home sleeping. SO this is how a quality drop looks like from 9.5 to 1, even after playing long hours and hours with it (29th day means it's long). I've just refunded the game; basically because lousy-ass devs, DON'T WASTE MY MOTHER**** TIME! Expand
  5. Nov 16, 2014
    Wow what a depressing limited game, the actual game play elements are ok but you need to gather so many mats to build items and doing this you need leave your home and scavenging with very limed carrying space when you have filled your limited backpack you go home, this imo is where the game falls down ever more as it becomes totally RNG, and out of your hands..,

Gathering resources

Gathering resources items from around the map, avoiding other scavengers and what you do with this items is in your control
    but the night time change over isn't..

Let me explain, each night a random thing will happen, sometime nothing, but mostly you get attacked, this can be reduced
    by boarding up windows and making weapons, basically using up stuff that you need to make other stuff with..

Well that's fine and after a few times and resets you get the hang of it, but as the day go on and food, bandages etc get very limited the night time RNG get worse..

on the second night one of my guy was slightly wounded, so I bound him and kept him in bed, he would never recover, just stayed ill an got worse and worse, I kept on trying to heal him, feed him, but nothing.

And everyone was sad due to this.. The RNG night-time info screen told me the sick guy and some other guy had a fight, now the sick guy was already terminal , so this new outcome change everyone's mood from sad to depressed and even with the radio, Cigs and Coffee, they just wouldn't stop being depressed, then on the next time, the terminally ill guy that everyone was worrying about, that couldn't barely walk, robbed us and took all the food and medical supplies, this was too much for the girl of the group and just become " Broken " and wouldn't move...

This guy couldn't of ben stretchered out let alone rob us

Games are meant to be fun, this is like sitting is an ice cold bath, slowly cutting your wrists with a rusty razor,

-- Uninstalled-- terribly made game.

So TFFP
  6. Sep 9, 2016
    Overrated pretendious garbage. Totally unrealistic and shallow gameplay. Low production values, which is to be expected from an Android port.

People hype it because "it is like real war", only that it isn't. And even if it was, this doesn't mean it would make a good game. Low production values (it is a game that is playable on our phones, after all). Just don't bother. If you

Low production values (it is a game that is playable on our phones, after all).

Just don't bother. If you really have to get this, get it on your phone/tablet.
  7. Nov 18, 2014
    I love war stories, books, and games. This War of Mine starts off sort of interesting but even after a few hours becomes really dull and flat. Just like being a survivor in a war torn town - it is a struggle and boring. The people in this game are really like old Sims (flat) and the game has so many limits to it. For example you can only send one guy out to scavenge even if others areI love war stories, books, and games. This War of Mine starts off sort of interesting but even after a few hours becomes really dull and flat. Just like being a survivor in a war torn town - it is a struggle and boring. The people in this game are really like old Sims (flat) and the game has so many limits to it. For example you can only send one guy out to scavenge even if others are ready to go. When you are at home others come to the door to trade but you can go out until night. The developers never really throw you a bone and let you "discover" or do anything other that just get by. So as the game drags on you seem to get caught (and killed) while you are out. If you kill someone then everyone is depressed and your characters even become broken. Just save your money and buy a game that is fun. I am old and boring and still I got way bored by this game. Expand
  8. Nov 19, 2014
    An interesting idea that does not translate into a game worth playing. Tedious movement, resource management, and crafting.
    Somehow the player is supposed to empathize with the non-combatants trying to survive this war. What you get is annoyed with how they move, the limited interaction options, a 'realistic' side-scroller (and oxymoron itself), limited choices, and stupid decisions the characters make when left on their own.
    Rubble and rebar everywhere but don't expect to be smart enough to make good use of them.
    Again, a commendable idea but should have been executed using gameplay similar to State of Decay. I must admit the side-scroller idea alone knocked off 3 points for me.
    Give it a try if you don't care much about graphics and like games that are more like work than games.
  9. Jan 30, 2016
    They broke their game with an update and then abandoned it to focus on the consoles. The game is poorly balanced, and the modding community saved it. But, since they broke the modding tools with the last update, then refuse to communicate at all with the community, I suggest you stay away from this awful game.
  10. Jan 9, 2015
    2 Huge Flaws:

1. Can't relocate. Player Characters come across obviously better homes with less damage & safer areas. The game needs a Relocate choice added to scavenge/guard/sleep menu. This option would select all player characters at once for relocation (greys out all other choices). Then they have the option of where to move too, and as a team attack & take over a new
    2 Huge Flaws:

This option would select all player characters at once for relocation (greys out all other choices). Then they have the option of where to move too, and as a team attack & take over a new building & make that the home base. The benefit is a new home base, the cost would be each player can only fill up their backpack. Everything else is left behind and lost. This is a huge flaw as it would be silly for player characters to stay in a bad building if better buildings can be taken.

2. No attack ability on wandering traders. No deception from traders just showing up and shooting your characters in the head.

Lastly, having characters commit suicide too easily - if they are just 'hungry' and 'tired' - some consideration should be given to the character's total overall condition.

I traded to finally get ahead of the hunger, having a character well fed, with a remaining food supply, well rested & actually running a profitable still business - only to have him hang himself. He was supposed to be fighting to be reunited with his wife & children outside of the city ! I could understand how starving & exhausted characters might randomly suicide. But well fed & rested characters should get a protection bonus against self termination.

Fix these three problems & add in 8 more houses... cities are very large - abandoned shops, banks, and other types of buildings are misding from the game and must be added in. (And it would be great for characters to move into non-house buildings !)
  11. Nov 19, 2014
    This is one of the buggiest games I have ever played in my life. Good luck playing for more than hour without your game crashing, and your progress getting completely jumbled up to the point where it ruins all the fun if you care about continuity for your playthrough. Often times the game will resume on a day 2 days before but give you random items for both days.

Even leaving the game

Even leaving the game through normal methods (which is far more rare than the game just involuntarily crashing you out) the game NEVER properly saves your progress, I'll meet a new character and have them join my party, just to leave through voluntary menu actions, come back and I'm on the entire day before. It's a joke of game to be released and not still considered beta, or I would argue even alpha.

Even if all the bugs were fixed, it's still a mediocre game with a good message. Probably a 7/10 if the bugs ever get fixed. It's just your run of the mill unoriginal crafting and trading system mixed with some elements of terraria and dwarf fortress.
  12. Nov 16, 2018
    Вообщем игру делали поехавшие леваки, которые на войне никогда не были. Ниочем.
  13. Jan 24, 2020
    En un principio el juego me llamó la atención con la ambientación y la propuesta que trae, hacer el papel de uno o unos cuantos sobrevivientes que deben arreglárselas para, valga la redundancia, sobrevivir en una ciudad asediada por una guerra. Esto se logra bien, ya que el juego está inspirado en la cruel Guerra de Bosnia, un despiadado conflicto civil que puso en jaque a gran parte de laEn un principio el juego me llamó la atención con la ambientación y la propuesta que trae, hacer el papel de uno o unos cuantos sobrevivientes que deben arreglárselas para, valga la redundancia, sobrevivir en una ciudad asediada por una guerra. Esto se logra bien, ya que el juego está inspirado en la cruel Guerra de Bosnia, un despiadado conflicto civil que puso en jaque a gran parte de la extinta Yugoslavia.
    Búsqueda de recursos, crafteo de materiales, mejorar el refugio, y pasar por entornos muy hostiles... La verdad tiene lo que se necesita para ser un juego de su estilo.
    Pero por qué la calificación?
    La verdad, NO TIENE TODO lo que se necesita para un juego de su estilo.
    La mayor parte del tiempo te la pasas crafteando y crafteando, y crafteando. Y esto no sería malo si al menos todo eso tuviese una utilidad real, que aquí la veo que el juego se basa en eso.
    El refugio... Cumple, sin embargo, no veo libertad de interacciones como lo puedo ver en otros juegos... Que vamos, Los Sims tienen más libertad...
    La ambientación, muy buena, y es acorde a lo que quiere transmitir el juego, pero eso se rompe con que todos los personajes tienen acciones muy limitadas, y sin contar que el reloj pasa muy rápido, amen de todo lo que hay que hacer.
    No voy a seguir comentando los fallos que tiene, porque el juego me dejó muy mal sabor de boca, que hasta me deprime escribir esta reseña.
    Un juego que te impresiona a primera vista, pero que tras algunas horas de juego, es aburrido y tedioso hasta más no poder...
    Que los primeros RPGs de Famicom son más entretenidos.
    Un pésimo planteamiento para un juego con un excelente ambiente, y una vuelta de tuerca a los juegos basados en guerras.
    Solo recomendable si lo encuentras en oferta.
  14. Jun 20, 2020
    I was expecting heavily themed war game. Some story driven platforming, but I got the game that plays out on one screen, everything is behind a wall of text and was generally boring. It was a wasted money.
  15. Jul 10, 2020
    This game cannot be played at ps4 cos gg u encounter an armed man u get shot since aiming s too slow and hard.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 63 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 11, 2019
    For the price it is… I wouldn’t even say wait for a sale, I’d just say buy this game… it will challenge you, it will pull at your heart strings… but I think, especially in this day and age, we need games like this to remind us to care for one another and to point out what is really important.
  2. Mar 22, 2015
    A deeply atmospheric, emotionally compelling game that manages to treat war as a serious topic and examines the hard choices made by those caught in the middle of conflict.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Feb 9, 2015
    Not many games can claim to be "edifying." I think this one can. [Issue#257, p.75]