8.3

1. Nov 14, 2014
    Being a journo I got my final copy two days ago. Been busy with it ever since! At first I took this game as a gimmick, knowing about a concept since maybe April I perceived it as a very nice twist with a huge question mark for gameplay, replayability and actual story. While I still think that the devs a bit exaggerate their 'grieve' approach to war, casualties and such, I must say theyBeing a journo I got my final copy two days ago. Been busy with it ever since! At first I took this game as a gimmick, knowing about a concept since maybe April I perceived it as a very nice twist with a huge question mark for gameplay, replayability and actual story. While I still think that the devs a bit exaggerate their 'grieve' approach to war, casualties and such, I must say they have delivered an addictive game with strong mechanics. You've got crafting here, you've got exploring, time management, character developing so to speak, you've got resource management and a bit of randomness that adds a nice spice to the mix. So after a while you tend to forget all this bleak and suffering, and just enjoy your achievements, make bonds with characters, just immerse in the world and enjoy it. Especially I liked how the story is told: not to fast, you really focus on details, sharpen your attention, and enjoy small carefully polished details of the concept. Well done 11 Bit! Expand
  2. Dec 9, 2014
    #Soundtrack#
    Nothing to add...very realistic game. Something like'Sims but in this game I felt what those people fell !
    ...and now , when everybody know , the war is close ... Its good guide for us how to survive when everybody dies !
  3. Nov 28, 2014
    Without a doubt, This War of Mine has been one of my favorite games of the year. I purchased this with absolutely no expectations; I saw it on Steam for $20, thought it was an interesting concept, and decided to give it a go. After playing it for probably 10 hours in the past 3 days, I have to say that it's probably the best $20 I've ever spent!

The first thing you notice when you start

The first thing you notice when you start this game up is the very minimalistic design. The game plays out in very simple 2D environments that look almost like pages from a sketchbook. If you're anything like me, this might take you aback. Call me shallow, but graphics are important to me! They're not everything, but they go a long way in immersing you in the storyline. As the game unfolds, however, you realize that the simple, drab art actually matches the "survivors in a war-torn city" theme quite well. Before long, you're completely lost in this world.

Like the art, the gameplay mechanics are simple to grasp but far deeper than they appear at first glance. You start out in your shelter--a dilapidated, abandoned house--and you notice icons over the various things you can interact with. Click on a pile of rubble, and you find some wood and nails. Open a cabinet and you find a few pieces of jewelry and a lockpick. You'll need all of these things. This isn't like Skyrim where half the stuff you find is junk, and it isn't like Fallout where you can beat the game without even dealing with the crafting components. Here, everything you find has a purpose that can save your life. Those old electrical components will be used to construct a radio that will clue you in to what's going on in the city; that empty pill casing can you be used to make critical medications later in the game. Even stuff like old books are useful. Your characters can read them to stay entertained and happy (more on that later), you can burn them for fuel to stave off the chill of winter, or you can trade them for things you need. The challenge comes in choosing what to take with you. As the game progresses, you must venture out into the city to scavenge supplies, and your squad members have very limited backpack space to carry things in. Do you bring back the the gunpowder to make the bullets you'll need to clear out the bad guys in another area, or do you pick up the food that's as scare as it is critical? Finding the right balance is essential, and you'll likely have to start over a couple times before you know what works best.

No matter what style of play you choose, the game is always challenging. That's a good thing! In other games, you might just kill everyone you see and take their possessions until you build up enough wealth to coast through the game. Better them than you right? Not so here. Killing innocent characters or even stealing from them will cause your squad to suffer guilt. You'll see little thought bubbles appear of their head sharing their lament with you: "Those patients at the hospital are probably going to die because of me." Kill too many non-bad guys and one of your squad members may even commit suicide. Most other reviewers are using the term "pulls no punches" a lot, and that's definitely true.

The only drawbacks are in the minimalistic design. While it works well, you can't help but imagine how much better the game could have been with a little more depth. Since emotions play such a big role for your characters, it would be nice to have some kind of dialogue system you could use to cheer each other up, or maybe even ask for help from other non-team members. Also, there's a lot of room for the storyline to really develop and add to the emotional impact you feel. Even lacking this, however, this is still a great, challenging game. If you have $20 to spend and don't mind getting sucked into it for awhile, give it a shot!
  4. Jan 27, 2015
    Thank you developers for giving me such a wonderful experience.A must buy for sure.

Pros:Beautiful , choices really matter , hard ,makes you wonder about the suffering of civilians, stable game without bugs.

Cons:Should be random.After 3 tries you know which house harbours what , the dangers , etc.. and it becomes predicable.

Make room for mods!!This game has a lot of hidden potencial
  5. Mar 9, 2015
    This War Of Mine is an amazing game. This game is sad and depressing.
    It's a survival game. So you're trying to survive in war and not fight in it.
    It has a great replayability and the atmosphere is really good. You can craft things like shovel, crowbar etc... At night you go to scavenge to find supplies. You can steal from other people, kill them, but you will probaly feel bad about
    This War Of Mine is an amazing game. This game is sad and depressing.
    It's a survival game. So you're trying to survive in war and not fight in it.
    It has a great replayability and the atmosphere is really good.
    You can craft things like shovel, crowbar etc...
    At night you go to scavenge to find supplies. You can steal from other people, kill them, but you will probaly feel bad about it.

I really recommend this game. As I said it's amazing!
  6. Nov 9, 2015
    Intensely serious and dramatic, built on top of a game whose mechanics are very simple and mostly adequate. Taken as a pure game, it's nothing fancy, and arguably resembles a mobile game in just how simple it is to play. But with its rich sound and stark visuals, it really deserves to be played on a full monitor. Like many indie games, it doesn't set out to be a fun and addicting game, butIntensely serious and dramatic, built on top of a game whose mechanics are very simple and mostly adequate. Taken as a pure game, it's nothing fancy, and arguably resembles a mobile game in just how simple it is to play. But with its rich sound and stark visuals, it really deserves to be played on a full monitor. Like many indie games, it doesn't set out to be a fun and addicting game, but rather to create an experience and make you feel "there". It does this very well, with a sense of overarching dread and impending doom made worse by every little mistake. You never quite have enough food, or if you do, enough medicine, or supplies, whatever. No playthrough will ever be perfect and you'll be left to decide just what you can afford to sacrifice.

Combat is something you're generally supposed to avoid, though that's no excuse for how awkward is actually is. Seeing as the game autosaves whenever you do much of anything, you may end up losing a survivor to the strange mechanics, which is a frustrating experience. Other than that though, this is a bleak and depressing survival sim that's nonetheless very enjoyable to play even though it left me feeling pretty devastated. Most importantly, it portrays a situation that's all too real in the world, and is very good at inspiring empathy in the player that may well translate to real life. That the only DLC is a donation directly to children affected by war just reinforces the solid intentions of the developers.
  7. Dec 25, 2015
    This War of Mine - одновременно простая и гениальная игра про выживание мирных граждан в условия войны и блокады.

Плюсы: + Погружение в атмосферу войны. + Сложные моральные дилемы. Сможете ли вы дать лекарства для детей, когда этажом ниже на кровате отдыхает ваш товарищ? Или же помочь незнакомцу, которому нужно очистить завал в доме? + Простая и интуитивно понятная система крафта. +

Плюсы:
    + Погружение в атмосферу войны.
    + Простая и интуитивно понятная система крафта.
    + Несколько вариантов начала игры: 2 дома и совершенно разные группы персонажей численностью от 1 до 4 человек. У каждого персонажа в игре присутствует своя история и биография, а также они обладают своим уникальным характером. Так же вы можете создать своих персонажей.
    + В игре присутствует хардкор. Очень сложно грамотно распределять еду и правильно вести добычу ресурсов ночью.
    + Идеально подходящее под тематику данной игры графическе исполнение. Игра выполнена в тёмных тонах, с использованием эффекта карандаша.

Минусы:
    - Всё же в ситсему крафта можно было добавить больше предметов, а так же больше случайных событий в сам игровой процесс.

8. Dec 2, 2014
    The game makes you think of morality will you rob and pillage to support your survivors or will you bargain and trade? The game is very unforgiving and will make you feel like **** because some people live in these situations where they live day to day running from bullets and hiding from snipers.

The game can be hard but simple planning and being smart about your actions will save you.
  9. Dec 3, 2014
    This game is an absolute gem. Not only is it an absolutely great survival game in and of itself, it is furthermore the one and only true anti-war game with a really strong message I have so far run into. It is really challenging too, different more or less every time you start a new game and does give you many options to play your save and not right out making you fail just cause the gameThis game is an absolute gem. Not only is it an absolutely great survival game in and of itself, it is furthermore the one and only true anti-war game with a really strong message I have so far run into. It is really challenging too, different more or less every time you start a new game and does give you many options to play your save and not right out making you fail just cause the game was written in a way that certain stuff does not work. Granted, certain stuff DOES not work indeed ^^ but the fact is, that's just normal - there definitely is a thinking progress involved which adds a very nice touch to the overall experience.

Personally, I so far sank around 50 hours into the game (lotsa failures, there is no tutorial by design and I have np with that) and I can't get enough of it. All the various approaches to playing this game, one I only paid 17€ in total for on an aside, are simply put amazing.

What else can I say? The graphics suit the grittyness of the experience absolutely fine and the only little nitpick I would have is that the combat itself could be a little more fleshed out. That however is perhaps something to also think about again - while this is a war survival game, you're NOT controlling trained soldiers or so but civilians trying to survive in a war torn city. So even that can be overlooked for the most part (not that I'd like this to get some more dev love down the line).

Overall, like I said I can't get enough of the game and This War of Mine is simply a mature take on the topic war, no more, no less. This game is simply put amazingly fresh air to a very old game topic (war) and I hope we'll see more, much more of it down the line! I'll buy additional stuff in an instance!
  10. Dec 20, 2014
    This War Of Mine is a harsh, unforgiving and absolutely delightful game (easily among my top 3 of 2014).

You begin with a small group of ordinary people, each having their own skills and weaknesses and try to survive through a civil war that has left you with barely no resources. At it's core, the concept of the game is quite simple (yet innovative for all I know): during the day, you must make the best of what you have to organize your shelter in order to tend to the needs of your group while at night, you go scavenging for the resources you are in dire need of.

Where all this really takes off, is how the game mechanics have been fine tuned so that each and every day, the stakes are to the max. As it is the case for any realistic survival situation, every bits of food and material is vital and must be carefully managed, every step you make while scavenging can be deadly and have irreversible consequences - this is a rogue-like game: you cannot save and everything you do generally have irreversible consequences.

For instance: you must have water to cook food (per the game's mechanics, raw food is less nourishing) and given a group of four people, you hence might need a certain amount of water to feed them well. Let's say one day you forget to tend to your water collector, the raw food you have might then not be sufficient to nourish everyone in your group. Being malnourished, someone might get sick so that, on your scavenging night, instead of simply having to find a little amount of food, you now must find water, lots of food and some meds. Meds are usually rare and chances are you'll have to sneak your way in some dangerous place to find some (and perhaps even kill someone if you get caught stealing), all this because you forgot to tend to your water collector!

Add to this mix a bunch of unexpected, random events such as kids begging for meds at your shelter, a friendly neighbor offering you a batch of vegetables, your well crafted survival plans can easily go south in the blinking of an eye. This is, in my opinion, what makes this game so addictive, intense, frustrating and yet deeply enjoyable.

On the technical side, there are very few bugs. The graphics are a perfect fit to the game's spirit; the environments are diverse and not repetitive and while the music themes can be a bit repetitive they do create a very good atmosphere.

In all, if you like survival games for the sense of vulnerability and intensity they provide, if you appreciate rogue-like games such as FTL, you will definitively love This War Of Mine.
  11. Jan 24, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you like a post-apocalypse game, or a game that makes you managed limited supplies that has perma-death mechanic, this is a game for you.
    TWOM has you manage the survival of three people. At first, you'll only have very little amount of supplies in your base. But during night, you can go on a raid to loot crafting supplies, foods, medicine, etc. Some decision will be hard to make, mostly baed on humanity vs. your survival. For example, there was a one instance where i had to rob from old couple that wanted nothing but peace, and begged me to not take their stuffs. I decided to take only a little and leave a lot for them. Also, two children came knocking on our doors asking for the only bottle of medicine to help their sick mother. This was a tough decision for me, giving away the only bottle of medicine i had.

There's also trading with other npcs, and you'll have to decide how much of your supplies will you trade for things you want.
  12. Jan 24, 2015
    War is probably the darkest aspect of the human nature. Not that violence is exclusive to our race, but its the scale and perversity have no match in the animal kingdom. So it feel always bizarre the way as mainstream games tend to paint it in such a frivolous way. Spec Ops: The Line previously made a somewhat successful attempt on dealing with the serious of the matter without digging tooWar is probably the darkest aspect of the human nature. Not that violence is exclusive to our race, but its the scale and perversity have no match in the animal kingdom. So it feel always bizarre the way as mainstream games tend to paint it in such a frivolous way. Spec Ops: The Line previously made a somewhat successful attempt on dealing with the serious of the matter without digging too deep, or deep enough. This War of Mine takes things some steps further and put you in the most important, and conveniently ignored, role in a war - the civilian.

Mechanically TWOM it's just your regular survival/strategy game, with a straightforward crafting system. With night and day distinctly separating the way you play. During the day you manage your base and after night falls you scavenge the city.

What makes TWOM excel it's its heavy theme and the way as it makes your action relevant. There's no sugar-coating to war and the game implements brilliantly the repercussions of your actions. Murdering and robbing can apparently be the easy way out, but how will your characters emotionally react to that? And you? When you get into a situation where you have to decide between stopping a rape or face the risk of getting wounded or killed for doing so, how will you react after your decision? And if you enter a family house and after things get out of control you end up killing the family, how will you feel? In war there's the bad and the horrible... and TWON makes sure you understand that.
  13. Jan 31, 2015
    Really good game didnt expect at first as more and more survival games get released, but this one is different and in a good way. It gives a nice feeling of character growth but also the feeling that u are never overpowered so it keeps the tension intact. I would recommend it to any pc game fan.
  14. Feb 10, 2015
    Wow. What a bitter, relentless and overwhelmingly depressing game. Full of heart and character, but totally against what I've always been fed as gaming experiences to date. I loved it.
    There's something about it, when my last player commits suicide, depressed and alone, I still find myself starting again immediately. A sign of a great game.
    The game is in essence a
    The game is in essence a war-time-'The-sims' with a great atmospheric design and very well scripted characters. My first 5 - 10 play through s I didn't last long, choosing to instinctively steal & fight, paying the heavy consequences as my people started to resent what they'd become and especially those players that had murdered others. It's war I figured, and it's a survival game - think of number 1. In later play-through's I learnt the game plays on a fine line of balance and control. Don't take what you don't need, and when your back is up against the wall, only then harm the status quo.
    Also, later run through's I pushed my crafting much further, and it's greatly rewarding. But even with all the weapons and armour you can dream of, fighting soldiers still remains a decent challenge and tactical headspinner.
    The game has a few flaws, such as waiting for people to sleep off their tiredness can sometimes leave you watching 3 people in bed snoozing for 5 real-time minutes, but this seems a small price to pay for those fantastic nights of scavenging and stealing from under the enemies noses.
    If you see this game on sale - dont hesitate to buy it. I'd like to see an IOs and android release in the future as mentioned pre-release... as it's a game I could pick up for a train journey here n there
  15. Mar 7, 2015
    I am not a fan of survival games, but then I downloaded this game to play something different concept. First when I downloaded, I didn't believe this game, but then this game has given me a lot of relaxation. Thanks to the developers. I will ask developers to develop this game for android too, because I am eager to play this game in my galaxy note 2 ..
  16. Apr 7, 2015
    This game what can I say gave me a reason to write a review which I seldom do. It must be one of the
    best war game ever made. It made war comes alive in a real way, the suffering of civilians in war. When I
    first got the game , I saw the review and thought it cant be this good ... must be some sort of paid / controlled advertising. With that as I got into the game, did a few turns and
    controlled advertising. With that as I got into the game, did a few turns and died a few times .... made it
    challenging and interesting. I honestly wish the game could go on for much longer with more events that
    could occur during a war.

I did not expect the game to be so engaging and challenging ... very simple concept but very well design
    and executed. It's a must play even if you don't like such genre. You wouldn't regret it and the score is
    true.
  17. May 16, 2015
    First of all, forget that this is a game. It's a story being told.

First of all, forget that this is a game. It's a story being told.

The game was inspired by the siege of Sarajevo during the Yogoslavian civil war during the 90's (1400+ days of siege, the worst in history) and as such you take control over a number of civilians who are trying to survive in this hellhole. That is the goal: survive. Forget trying to become rich or save a princess - getting out of it still breathing is your only priority.

The game does an immense job of creating an immersion into this world, even if it just is a side-view game - the music, sounds and even pencil-scetch graphics makes the world look bleak, horrifying and washed out. It's perfect.

So the game is about survival, and how you must send one person out each night to look for food and materials to increase your chances. And this is a pain, but a good pain, because anyone you send out can't carry everything. The people you have at home are hungry, cold, and one of them is sick, so what do you take? All the food? Any medicines you've found? But if you do, will you be able to carry home any wood you need to make firewood so people won't freeze to death? It's a constant struggle to try to keep up with the demands of the people back at your shelter.

Add to that that you can be raided, wounded or even killed. It's a hard life living in a war zone.

It'sa fantastic, amazing game, and it became even better after they included the possibility to add your own characters and in some way, make your own map from the premade locations. That added a lot of value.

Now, the thing with the game is that it doesn't teach you anything. You have to discover everything yourself, and that is also something that adds to the first-time experience - even more so since you only have one save slot. And that is how it should be - if you leave all people asleep as you take one person out to find food, you might come back to a very nasty surprise, that you have been raided, things have been stolen and people been wounded. It can be a real gut-punch. And that goes for the characters as well, as they can become psychologically affected as well.

I mentioned at the beginning of the review that this is a story, not a game. And it is. However, the only reason I can't give it a 10 is because the combat is too damn hard (it's fast and unforgiving) and dependant on that you can swing a mouse well and precisely - the slightest the mouse gets stuck, you'll pay for it. However, avoiding combat is encouraged and the best way to survive.

All in all, I highly recommend this game, and also to give a few bucks to the charity War Child.

Because even if this is a game for you, it's reality for a lot of people.
  18. Jul 18, 2015
    It's a huge piece of great game. I've never played any survival games before but I know one thing- this one is extremely amazing. In "war games" we usually used to be soldiers. In This War of Mine we are civilians and we are trying to survive. Very good and fresh idea. Game has got really simple but nice crafting system. What about storyline? Well. There isn't any storyline! We areIt's a huge piece of great game. I've never played any survival games before but I know one thing- this one is extremely amazing. In "war games" we usually used to be soldiers. In This War of Mine we are civilians and we are trying to survive. Very good and fresh idea. Game has got really simple but nice crafting system. What about storyline? Well. There isn't any storyline! We are creating it by ourself and each one of us could make something different. Such a beautiful thing... Graphic... As for me- 10/10. Of course it's not like like Witcher 3 or GTA V but does it mean that it's bad? NO. It's charming. Really charming. Just play this game ;) Expand
  19. Oct 27, 2016
    This game takes so much emotional investment from the player. As you play, day by day, helping your characters survive, you begin to grow close to them. You worry, because any of them might die from injury, the cold, or disease. Your characters can become depressed, suicidal, and can leave at any time. This game, called "This War of Mine" is by far one of the best games I've laid my handsThis game takes so much emotional investment from the player. As you play, day by day, helping your characters survive, you begin to grow close to them. You worry, because any of them might die from injury, the cold, or disease. Your characters can become depressed, suicidal, and can leave at any time. This game, called "This War of Mine" is by far one of the best games I've laid my hands on. It puts you in the point of view of those affected by war- the civilians, not the military. It isn't action packed, it has no combat sequences or explosions. Instead, its the pure anxiety and emotional turmoil of trying to make these people survive for as long as you can. You scavenge for supplies by night, and by day, you make improvements to your house. You are constantly at risk for being robbed during the night, and have to put people on guard. When you venture out into the world, you can have the choice of robbing and killing people for supplies, making trade, or even taking people in. Its kill or be killed sometimes. The fact that this game has a DLC that donates to the War Child charity makes it even all the more better. If you like story driven emotional games, grab yourself a copy of "This War of Mine". Expand
  20. Feb 27, 2017
    I find myself drawn to the kind of atmosphere this title provides, insofar that it - and games like it - is able to capitalize on survivability as a feature well enough to give environmental dangers a nearly personified pressing and looming quality. The war and its dangers soak your continuous play sessions. Winter is always circling like a hammerhead. Everything is broken or dissected,I find myself drawn to the kind of atmosphere this title provides, insofar that it - and games like it - is able to capitalize on survivability as a feature well enough to give environmental dangers a nearly personified pressing and looming quality. The war and its dangers soak your continuous play sessions. Winter is always circling like a hammerhead. Everything is broken or dissected, elemental. It's a point-and-click craft-a-thon through a splintering and loose narrative with lots of access that ultimately seems to achieve a sum larger than its individual parts to deliver a shuddering 2.5D gaming experience. Expand
  21. Nov 19, 2014
    Absolutely fabulous. It's war. It's depressing. Civilians feel the worst. There is no magic, zombies, or witchcrafts. The only thing that is unreal is the aggression and panic of others trying to survive (and barely). This is the most depressing copy of The Sims you'll ever play.

The UI can be a little weird at time and the first patch fixed most of the little quirks. I hope there are expansions.
  22. Nov 15, 2014
    This game is a breath of gritty depressing fresh air. This War of Mine is one of a kind emotional survival game roller coaster. You really do get attached to your characters and are forced to do morally questionable things that make you feel bad. The game does a great job at guilt tripping you for robbing the innocent elderly couple living in a quiet cottage of all there food and medicine.This game is a breath of gritty depressing fresh air. This War of Mine is one of a kind emotional survival game roller coaster. You really do get attached to your characters and are forced to do morally questionable things that make you feel bad. The game does a great job at guilt tripping you for robbing the innocent elderly couple living in a quiet cottage of all there food and medicine. Or turning those children away from your door step asking for your help to save there dying mother. Survival of the fittest is the theme and this game shows the consequences regular people get to experience in there country in times of civil conflict. Mechanics wise the game reminds me of the crafting of Terraria, character management similar to The Sims and a little but of Don't Starve meets State of Decay. I hope to see content updates and mods for sure! Must buy. Expand
  23. Nov 19, 2014
    Innovative, dynamic, realistic and heart-breaking, these are the most visible characteristics of this game. You start as a group of civilians who only struggle to survive during the German and Russian oppression on Poland. I won't lie to you, the game is difficult, it will force you to make some decisions which you might regret ... first time I stole food from an old couple I started toInnovative, dynamic, realistic and heart-breaking, these are the most visible characteristics of this game. You start as a group of civilians who only struggle to survive during the German and Russian oppression on Poland. I won't lie to you, the game is difficult, it will force you to make some decisions which you might regret ... first time I stole food from an old couple I started to feel awful but what made it worse is the feeling of guilt that our "squad" had. Hardly ever has any game moved my heart so much and I still remember that moment after you rescue "the guy" in the sniper place ...

Personally, I believe this game deserves an award for the best indie game of this year hands down!
  24. Nov 20, 2014
    well i admit the game has issues, some can be fixed and others cannot, bet i cannot help but try to encourage the dev here, in hope of promoting indie games and somehow fight back AAA generic repetitive titles.
  25. Dec 11, 2014
    10 из 10. Просто 10 из 10.
    Одна из лучших survarium-игр.
    Приятно, что разработчики не приплели зомби-составляющую или еще какую ахинею.
    Только крафтинг и выживание, только хардкор.
  26. Nov 14, 2014
    This game reminded me of State of Decay, in a good way. Basically, you do the same things in these two games, with only three significant differences — setting, camera and the way the characters act. Side-scrolling perspective instead of SoD's classic TPS view. You survive (fighting included), scavenge for supplies and build various things. The main difference for me is how the charactersThis game reminded me of State of Decay, in a good way. Basically, you do the same things in these two games, with only three significant differences — setting, camera and the way the characters act. Side-scrolling perspective instead of SoD's classic TPS view. You survive (fighting included), scavenge for supplies and build various things. The main difference for me is how the characters act, though. For example, during one of my scavenge runs I stumbled upon some girl, panicked and killed her with a shovel. Then my character suffered of severe depression, and his mates were very upset about it too, even to insomnia. Next time I'll meet someone, I'll try not to kill him, cause there's an opportunity to talk to strangers, or to hide from them, instead of killing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    And of course, the setting. I'll just say, it's making much more sense than zombie apocalypse of SoD. You can imagine this happening to you tomorrow, and that's why I give a solid 9 to this game.
  27. Nov 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having read some of the reviews below, specifically the negative and mixed, I can't help but feel people are making a misconception of this game. I find that countless have pointed out the "lack of realism" or "quirky logic" behind how the game is played and survival is achieved. The past two days have been entirely dedicated to This War of Mine; specifically whenever I had the free time to get on my laptop and give it a whirl. You'll be pleased to know that I do not regret a single minute spent. There are several things I would like to clarify regarding the game, specifically points made that I consider invalid in the negative reviews by fellow players. I'll also give my reasoning as to why (and why not) this is a worthwhile game I score at a solid 8.

Having been a fan of survival-sandbox games even before they became an official genre, I have always fancied the idea of a post-apocalyptic hardcore survival game where decisions mattered. I often found myself looking towards The Walking Dead as a fix, since it gave me at least half of what I was craving, and even in games like Project Zomboid and State of Decay I found they were lacking everything I was looking for. TWoM, however, gives me what I wanted and more. While it is not in fact post-apocalyptic, it is a game which pioneers in a whole new theme: War. In my experience as a gamer, I have only ever stumbled upon survival games which either take place in the untamed wilderness, the ruins of a world ravaged by zombies, or as far back as the middle ages to the unknown future ahead of us. Instead, this game throws you into the perspective of survivors (who have feelings as normal human beings would) caught in the crossfire of a devastating war. It brings me back to learning about the siege of Leningrad in World War II, where people were boxed in by the military for years and suffered tremendously as a result. TWoM does a very good job at throwing your emotions into the mix, often pitting you against your own morals to make ends meet (it sure as hell did for me). In fact, my paranoia drove me to murder two innocent families, both of which included at least one elderly person in poor health that begged I let them go, to fetch supplies I thought I desperately needed (but in the end found out were unnecessary for my survival). That brings up another point: Unlike all other survival games I have played, there is an actual end-game goal to TWoM: You can survive the war. But it's not all that peachy, as the epilogue will find a way to make you feel just as bad for your characters as you did before (often sad stories as to their lives following the war) and giving you a sometimes painful recap of what decisions you've made, negative or positive.
    Now, I have noticed a lot of people picking at the realism behind TWoM. One complaint was, "Why would you need to filter rainwater? Can't you just boil it?" To my understanding, this would be a yes and a no. Think about the rainwater: The city is under siege, the skies smoldering with smoke and shrapnel. The pollutants that are surely in the air, as well as the trace amounts of toxic substances in the rainwater as a result, would need to be processed to some extent before becoming truly clean. Another complaint was the "constant need" to produce tools that would, realistically, be readily available for a longer time than the game represents; a crowbar, for example. However, if you think about the fact that the crowbar, hatchet, and shovel are pieced together from common household goods (components: duct tape, nails, scrap, etc.), it's miraculous that these tools even last you as long as they do. If you want to talk about realism, it'd make more sense that these tools broke somewhat sooner than they really do, because you'd think a crowbar fashioned from these goods would snap under the stress of prying open only a single locker or two and not the generous eight or so uses you're given. Another complaint was the combat, which while generic is reasonably so. The lack of complexity almost makes it charming, and forces you to think on a more basic level as these people would. You're no commander from XCOM, you are a survivor. There are no flashbangs, overwatch shots, or variations of cover: There is life or death, fight or flight. Some have complained of crashing, but even on a low-end laptop I have not experienced this on the highest settings (which looks rather beautiful for what its worth).
    My only complaints regarding the game are how easy it is for NPC's to misjudge a move you make, such as the Central Square traders for some reason accusing me of a hostile action and shooting me the first time I entered, therefore banning me from those resources. Another complaint is how much ammo is wasted when you are raided and leave some behind back home: oftentimes 7-10 bullets a raid, more than you usually make from a single run. Aside from that and it's replay value (maybe 1-3 replays for me), it's a solid game.
  28. Nov 21, 2014
    This a great game. I`ve bought it yesterday and managed to sustain my survivors till 21 day ... The game is brutal for newcomers. You have to completly change your view over war games and how to aproach some situations it this game. Yes it has some issues but they are a minor annoyances compared to other stuff some developers throw in your face which names I won`t speak at this momentThis a great game. I`ve bought it yesterday and managed to sustain my survivors till 21 day ... The game is brutal for newcomers. You have to completly change your view over war games and how to aproach some situations it this game. Yes it has some issues but they are a minor annoyances compared to other stuff some developers throw in your face which names I won`t speak at this moment *cough*cough*Ubisoft*cough*cough*. The best and strongest part of this game as I believe I make a real connection with those virtual persons you control and try to keep alive. Well that alone is nothing groudnbreaking as already there are plenty of survival games but the emotional and moral narrative brought into the game is great. Well done 11bit studios! Well done!

This game made me go sleep at 2:00 AM even though my alarm clock is set to 5:15 am. Great buy!
  29. Nov 29, 2014
    This game hit me right in the feels, like totally direct impact!

It leaves you with mixed feelings, asking yourself "What would I do in this situation" (IRL of course). You have to do whatever to survive by all means necessary, people will approve of your actions, others will disapprove. You can easily be guilt tripped in this game, it comes to something when the AI actually makes me
    This game hit me right in the feels, like totally direct impact!

You can easily be guilt tripped in this game, it comes to something when the AI actually makes me feel really guilty because of what I have done.

You start off with minimal supplies, a big part in this game is scavenging and obviously the key essential is survival of the fittest, people will leave you and die on you, this all will make an impact on your characters mental state (possibly even yourself).

Make sure you have plenty of food, water and heat! It's not nice to die from hypothermia.

Each playable character has their own unique "trait", make good use of it! I completely recommend this game to anyone who likes survival games, this one is different from your usual "survival" genre.

"During war, there are no good or bad decisions; there is only survival. The sooner you realize that, the better."
  30. Nov 30, 2014
    This game is not fun.

This game is not fun.

Now as your mouse moves toward that "Helpful? NO" button, wait. This game is not fun, but it *does not try to be fun*. In fact, it SHOULD NOT be fun. This game is about survival during a war, and survival is NOT fun. Anne Frank is not famous because her diary was a fascinating epic with interesting fleshed out characters, it is famous because it was a stark, unfiltered slice of World War II from a civilian standpoint. This War of Mine is a compelling experience for the same reason.

You will be struggling for most of this game, and you will fail many times in your attempt to survive the war. Most will never succeed in actually "completing" the game. Food is a constant struggle, and moral quandaries abound. Stealing will upset most of your characters. Sacrificing time or supplies to help those who show up to you door appealing for help will make them more content, *sometimes*. Your survivors will constantly be hungry, tired, sick, and more. None of them are trained killers--having to kill someone has serious, serious consequences on their psyche, and they can even commit suicide if it gets to be too much.

Ultimately this isn't a game I sit down to "enjoy". It's not a game I pull up when I'm looking to blow off some steam. It's a game that I play when I've got time and energy set aside to have a simply memorable experience.
  31. Nov 30, 2014
    Extremely engaging game! One playthrough is about 12 hours but it has huge replayability. The atmosphere of this game can only be compared to "I Am Alive". I wish there were more games of this kind. Superb!
  32. Dec 2, 2014
    I approached this game with an RPG/FPS logic. I patched up my base, looted the easier areas and built up an arsenal of guns and pistols. I then approached a family who wanted to trade medicine for food and when negotiations failed, I slaughtered them all and looted their home. That's how games work, right?

And then my characters one by one spiralled into depression and killed

And then my characters one by one spiralled into depression and killed themselves.

F**K.
  33. Dec 11, 2014
    In modern war… you will die like a dog for no good reason. The game begins with this quote from Hemmingway and perfectly sets the tone for this entertaining survivalist game. Made by 11 bit studios This war of mine gives the player a unique view of war, instead of running in guns blazing destroying everything in sight, you control a group of survivors in a war torn city struggling toIn modern war… you will die like a dog for no good reason. The game begins with this quote from Hemmingway and perfectly sets the tone for this entertaining survivalist game. Made by 11 bit studios This war of mine gives the player a unique view of war, instead of running in guns blazing destroying everything in sight, you control a group of survivors in a war torn city struggling to survive amongst the damaged mess. Granted we’ve seen more than a few survivalist/crafters lately but this war of mine has atmosphere, game play and storyline which sets it leagues apart from its competitors.

Beginning the game you fade into your shelter, a partially destroyed multi level building and your 3 or 4 survivors. The atmosphere of the game is dark and has a cold feel to it as you would expect in such a situation. You begin to quickly realize time is of the essence and set your survivors to work scavenging amongst the rubble and searching rooms for supplies before night comes. When night does fall the snipers who make venturing out during daylight too dangerous sleep and you get your chance to explore beyond your shelter to broaden your search for more supplies and equipment. Wood and tools will help you build workbenches, beds and other furniture to improve your shelter while food and medical supplies will keep your survivors alive and kicking not to mention firearms and ammo for defense.

The game encourages you to take care of your survivors because one wrong step while searching for supplies will leave you with a dead group member and having no save/load game option the choices you make are permanent and this adds a crucial dynamic that makes you take the game a bit more seriously, which after helplessly becoming a bit too much emotionally invested in my survivors and loosing a couple I began learning lessons very quickly, not to mention the negative morale effect this has on your other survivors as does most decisions you make, for instance your choice to rob people or turn away people seeking your help. Some will agree with your choices while others won’t, it can be difficult pleasing everybody and managing depression amongst the group can be a time consuming task.

My first attempt lasted around 9 days I’ve found the game can become a touch repetitive after around my 20th day but it’s usually broken up with a new survivor seeking shelter or gaining enough supplies to craft a new type of workbench opening up more options to create or build, for instance a certain type of workbench will allow your survivors to roll cigarettes which are valuable and can then be used for trade or smoked, depending on the smoking status on some of your group members. You also begin to realize at roughly this point the supplies you’re looting may not last forever and try to make your shelter a bit more self-sustainable.

Guiding my survivor in the stealth phase of night salvaging I loot what supplies I can carry, which is limited by the size of my backpack more often than not finding enough supplies to haul away my survivor. Marko is my professional scavenger so he is able to carry more supplies than others in my shelter. I click to the location I wish for him to move e.g. A doorway where I can peer through a keyhole, doing so will pierce the charcoal sketch effect which is the games fog of war, very artistic and refreshing compared to a simple black or greyed out area.
    In the distance I hear the familiar sound of war, the games ambient sound is spot on, gun shots an explosions ringing out in the background keeping me reminded of my situation, and music blends very well with the relevant situation you’re in. The control interface is a point, click and scroll, which blends well with the 2D layout.

I’ve found that after 5 or 6 decent slogs at this war of mine you begin to get the feeling you may be too much of a master survivor for the game. However it is accomplishing and satisfying to see that after a few games your progress of achieving certain milestones improves, what used to take me 14 days to achieve now takes me 7. Every new game seems to start you off with a randomly generated group of survivors although this doesn’t really change the basic strategy of the game.

Conclusion.

This War of mine is an addictive game that will unsuspectingly bleed hours from your life However when the apocalypse does finally roll around you’ll be glad you’ve got some experience under your belt from this highly entertaining title.
    Although based around resource management the atmosphere of this war of mine makes the experience so much more. The game will place you in situations and force you to make decisions that almost make you feel as though you’re in the situation yourself. Also 11 bit studios have teamed up with war child a charity that helps protect children from the effects of war together creating a fundraising partnership. A worthy cause, which gamers can get behind. For more information on the charity go to http://www.warchild.org.uk
  34. Nov 17, 2014
    When i first saw this game on youtube, i was like oh my god, this has everything i ever wanted on a survival game, no dumb zombies, no hearthless characters, no generic fps-craft survival, only a emotional and awesome survival game based on reality, dont mind those call of duty gen kids who give bad reviews to the game, they are just retard, awesome game 10/10 would buy it again!
  35. Nov 19, 2014
    Very interesting and thought provoking game. It provides a different perspective to war which was lost on many war related franchises along the way. But don't mistake it, this game is definitely not a fun one. It's very high on morals and often times, it can be quite depressing to see how your dudes react to it.

If i'd have one complaint it would be that ending the day should have a

If i'd have one complaint it would be that ending the day should have a message pop up to confirm you want to skip, many times i accidentally clicked on it when i tried to give my dudes a command.
  36. Nov 20, 2014
    This game is important. This is a quite succesful attempt to make a game that matters. The game that is not just for fun. The problems - well it may feal unfair and harsh, but your a civilian cought in a war, this is how it is supposed to be. And you are supposed to die. I give it a 10 mainly because of its significance, pure gameplay score would be 8.
  37. Nov 15, 2014
    I think its the Papers Please of this year. It combines equal parts of aformentioned Papers Please, State of Decay, and I Am Alive. It shows how war isn't a good thing. People die. People get hurt. Families are torn appart. War IS bad.
    It also has some pretty solid AI. Rather, the AI is random, per say. There is no set currency, no set money system, no set value. It all depends on who you are trading with.
    How the AI reacts to you is based on logic. An old person didnt attack me while i was looting his house because i had a knife, while a dude blew my brains out because I was near his ill mother.
    The base building is solid,too. This is my base. There are many like it, but this is mine.
    I really dig the graphics. Some times its a bit hard to make out stuff, but i love it for this all the more.
    Anyway, this is the short version. Maybe i'll add a longer version, but if you take away nothing else from this review, take away this:This game is one of the best games to come out this year. I wouldn't doubt it'll overtake any number of GoTY canidates, and it sure as hell did overtake mine. Sorry, Wolf Amoung Us
  38. Nov 17, 2014
    This is very neat indie time management, 2d side-scrolling survival game.

This is very neat indie time management, 2d side-scrolling survival game.

Player controls 3-4 characters. The focus of the game is to fortify and upgrade your house, while striving to feed and keep your poor inhabitants healthy and unfrozen during the day. And survive and loot during the night. The game executes it's core mechanics rather well and is quite addictive. Art style and atmosphere of the game is very immersive.

The game is rather hard until one figures out it's mechanics. When you know what to build, and what is valuable you basically cannot loose and don't have to take any risks. You don't have to steal or kill anybody. Therefore it doesn't have very good re-playability factor. It'll take player 20-30 hours to figure the game completely, after that it gets tedious and boring, especially during day time you start to question game design choices when you are done in few clicks, and can't skip to the night part (the choice is available), because you have to refill you water collecting machine. And you just have to watch and wait for 10 minutes for the day cycle to end. The combat system is very quirky and confusing. Because combat is very rare and you don't have the save/load option, it can be nerve wrecking experience. Luckily you can avoid this aspect of the game entirely.

Otherwise the game is well executed and leaves the player wishing for sequel, with more content, and more choices including rpg char development etc.
  39. Dec 1, 2014
    So bleak and depressing that I have to stop every few hours. So gripping that I'm back within 20 minutes.

Definitely not a feel good game (nor an easy one) but one you'd be a fool to miss.
  40. Dec 30, 2014
    This War of Mine is an interesting take on the popular but packed survival genre and it really stands out as a game that's unique, ambitious, atmospheric and touching despite being played out on a 2D side-scrolling backdrop. It's a very impressive title for what is a very simple concept.

The game sees you taking control of a three-man team planted in a safehouse in the middle of a war-torn and depressing city. The house is your safe haven away from the dangerous outside world. In the daytime; you control your characters to craft, sleep, scavenge and protect the property but when the night arrives; the game comes alive as you will prepare and take one of your team into the world to loot for supplies and liase with fellow surviors of the war. The map contains several locations you can visit from other houses, schools, churches, warehouses, hostpitals and even brothels. On your travels, you must use your time wisely to search for essential items and make tough decisions on stealing and possibly having to harm fellow humans in the same position as you. Bandits also lurk in these vast locations so you have to approach each situation and location with considerable care for your character.

If you survive your trip; you complete a 'day' in the game and return home to distribute your collected loot including medicine, crafting items, food, drink and other goods. Your character may be extremely tired so you can put him/her to bed and take control of a different person to sift through your scavenged stuff and prepare for the next night's trip. This is just one typical day of an ongoing cycle in which you must scavenge, survive and maintain the well-being of your team physically and mentally. As the days pass; loot can be harder to find, your characters may become more and more disillusioned with the trials and tribulations of war and keeping them alive within the difficult conditions and in respect to bandits roaming can get tougher and tougher. It all makes for a truly absorbing and challenging title.

This War of Mine isn't without it's problems though - there is no 'endless' mode so on completion; you may not feel motivated to play again as you've essentially beaten the game. The items available and crafting probably doesn't go deep enough either. The combat can be a bit cumbersome and in terms of the locations available to visit; there probably isn't quite enough. It is a big game that could keep you occupied for many hours but there is a chance you could have seen it all very early on in terms of everything on offer. Replayability is certainly questionable at this time.

Overall; this is a fantastic game at a very generous price. It's a survival game that distances itself from the typical zombie-oriented titles that plague Steam these days. Not only is this centralised around war as opposed to an outbreak; the artistic 2D backdrop is a truly unique setting along with the basic but easy to use mechanics. Longevity and content may be an issue but even if you get 10 hours out of this game; it's a fantastic purchase and a great concept.
  41. Jan 19, 2016
    This War of Mine does not show you the typical super soldier who can regenerate health after being shot at. Instead, it shows an aspect that is usually forgotten in video games, seeking answers for survival and humanity in wars.
  42. Nov 16, 2014
    Don't just think about this as a game but as a movie. Put yourself in one of the characters and do what you would do in the game. Can you look at the mirror after you play?
  43. Nov 21, 2014
    This is a great game, with many things in common with other rogue-like games in the line of dont starve. But with an amazing Serbian civil war environment. It s all about scavenging to make a better refuge for your characters that will describe it in some kind of diary.
    As a i read different reviews i see most of them focus on the sad outcome of the story. Characters who die, others that get depressed or ashamed for robbing. But that is not all there is. In my second experience i was able to make a comfortable refuge and the characters response is always about hope and escaping the horrors of war.
  44. Nov 29, 2014
    I rarely give a better score than 7 because most new games annoy the **** out of me!Said that, "This war of mine" is the most entertaining game in 2014 for me.Like any games here and there are flaws, but thats nitpicking.Lets look into it:

Visuals:Not much to say.For me personally the artdesign is just great.Everything blends into one unique style.This is not a bad looking game i think.Its dark with some spots of colour here and there.The mood of the game is really well presented and you feel and see when something changes.Youll see snow falling or rain for example your characters react to the situation differently.For example you can see when they are really tired or sometimes youll see them reading a book and stuff.Great!Some of the backrounds are really great!

Sound:Pretty nice!Not that much but i dont think thats because the developer is lazy.Its because it suits the situation.When there is music its always suitable and really nice.Nothing disturbs you from what is happening and the heavy things you are gonna have to do to survive.

Gameplay:The gameplay is simplistic and maybe you can bring up some critic!First of all, the movement is nice.You sneak with a single click or run with a double click.Running makes more noises, attracts bandits and stuff.Nicely done.What is really nice is the fact you can choose different paths of actions.For example you could shoot your way through a bunch of bad guys, maybe sneak around them on various paths or you use stealth to kill them off one by one.Great!!!Unfortunately the close combat is a bit of a pain in the arse.You need to click on a icon and with the weaker weapons the enemy will be pushed around instead of being killed instantly.That makes is hard to hit this button sometimes.On my first playthrough i lost a character this way, simple missclick.Besides that there are some levels with nice ideas.For example a map with a siper in the backround.You cant eliminate him as far as is know so you have to move from cover to cover and time your runnings to his (hopefully)missshots.Good ideas.
    I have some complaints about certain tools.Some are overpowered, others are useless.On 2 playthroughs i NEVER used a shovel really long.I tried the shovel, you safe time but for the materials you lose you could have build something usefull.The axe on the other hand is mighty as thors hammer!!
    You build the axe and you kill many opponents instantly while you can hack things to pieces and salvage wood and materials.I never run out of things to burn for the oven because of that.Another thing that i think should be rebalanced is the amount of things you need to upgrade you workstations.Sometimes its so expensive that the **** you can build after the upgrade will be less valuable than you think because you spend so much **** on the upgrade itself.On my playthroughs i never run out on things in the longterm.Every now and then youll find stuff that is useless for you, you can trade it in.Sometimes this is the better option.As far as i know many things are random when you start the game.Problem is, on my first playthrough i encountered some events in a quick succession and my characters were really sad in the early stages.There were kids that want medicine(i had none) and a beggar that wanted food(had non either).Both events had a really drastic impact on my team.On the second playthrough i was lucky, nearly nothing happened.So there is a bit of luck involed with these things.Its good for replayability but if you just want to play 1 or 2 times this can be frustraiting.

Final verdict:Great game!!!The best i played in 2014 so far.The things i mentioned are more or less nitpicking, they dont have a great amount of impact on the fun youll have.Or, and maybe thats the point, youll have no fun at all!!!!This game is not really about fun.Its about surviving and harsh decisions.Will you rob an elderly couple and let them starve to death afterwards?Think about the possible consequences.Will i help the woman that is about to get raped by a military?Think about the possibe backlash.I like that, 8/10 because of the minor things i didnt like.
  45. Nov 16, 2014
    Graphics, gameplay/choices and story wise is amazing. Truly good game that deserves the money. More fresh and more polish that a lot of AAA out there. 1000% recommended
  46. Nov 16, 2014
    "War never changes" but this time, this war showed by 11bit studio is very dramatic and difficult and I like from begining, and this trailer with zegarmistrz światła - EPIC!
    Like so much randomly started house arrangement, and always random characters in it. I've died 3 times, wanting so bad to happy end this game :) But it's very difficult, it's almost like a war, thank god I can only play this, and not expierence those situations...
    If u liked zafehouse:diaries or state or decay, orrr even the walking dead, buy it and play, this is like hell in comic book twd, but without zoombies ;)
  47. Nov 16, 2014
    Immersive, Innovative, Inspired.

I. I. I. I freaking love this game! It really does give you a gritty impression of civilians surviving as conflict rages around them, it has hunger, depression, injury, illness. You really feel a high level of empathy for your huddled survivors, and watch their evolving stories with fascination and worry. And the art direction ! It's really
    Immersive, Innovative, Inspired.

I. I. I.

I freaking love this game!

And the art direction ! It's really cool. The characters are photo-realistic, but the whole thing overall looks like a noir comic book or something. Really great.
  48. Nov 19, 2014
    I purchased this game on a whim. I was curious to see what it would be like. So far I have not been disappointed at all!

I have been playing it nonstop for a while now. It is insanely engrossing - you really feel like you're part of a band os survivors. For $20, come on? This game is so polished, and the value so high, it is ridiculous. Very well thought out and every time you

Very well thought out and every time you restart (and you will have to restart - lord only knows how many times I have seen my little guys go crazy/starve) there is a different scenario.

If it was a $60 game, it would get an 8/10 for me. But considering the price you'd be an idiot to not at least try it. If this game is your type of thing, that is.
  49. Nov 15, 2014
    It is for me something amazing to discover how hard it is to survive any conflict especially when we are talking about the most vulnerable such as children, women, old people and animals. It forms part of a current war in our world because is it not innocent people die every day? Greedy and bloody American politicians who cause conflicts non-stop! What they need even more - oil and gas,It is for me something amazing to discover how hard it is to survive any conflict especially when we are talking about the most vulnerable such as children, women, old people and animals. It forms part of a current war in our world because is it not innocent people die every day? Greedy and bloody American politicians who cause conflicts non-stop! What they need even more - oil and gas, and where people are living and how much it is worth! Expand
  50. Nov 17, 2014
    Simply addicting! Collecting, Craft, Survive are the 3 main goals, with added re-playability due to randomized team members and encounters..Must have for fans of the apocalyptic rpg genre.

If every Indie title had that amount of design and game-play i wouldn't need any AAA titles. Can't wait to see additional content on that title!
  51. Nov 16, 2014
    A dark, bleak game which emphasizes human relationships over the usual run and gun of modern shooters. Instead of portraying the military or even the rebels as an good force, This War of Mine portrays the people caught in between and views both sides of the conflict as equally bad. This game reminds me of State of decay mixed in with Mark of the Ninja. In the day time, you spend timeA dark, bleak game which emphasizes human relationships over the usual run and gun of modern shooters. Instead of portraying the military or even the rebels as an good force, This War of Mine portrays the people caught in between and views both sides of the conflict as equally bad. This game reminds me of State of decay mixed in with Mark of the Ninja. In the day time, you spend time building tools for night, feeding your people, responding to people knocking on your door, upgrading your base etc. In the night , one person in your party can go out and scavenge for supplies. The amount that one person can carry is extremely limited and the game doesn't hold back any punches.
    -Should you get bandages for one of your members injured in a raid or get wood to build an herbicide to make bandages?
    -Should you get food or get wood and hope that your people can go hungry one more night?
    -Should you waste 1 out of your 10 backpack slots for some sugar that you could use to make alcohol later or instead invest it in getting gun parts?
    This part is where the game shines, forcing you to make tough decisions. There are many tough decisions that tore me up such as choosing whether to kill an elderly couple for their food and medical supplies or risking another day without food. The combat is mediocre, it's essentially just clicking on the person your attacking. Eventually, you start to care more and more about your characters as they go through life changing decisions. An character you have murder an old couple might become sad, then depressed, causing the rest of your party to become sad as well. They might even kill themselves, depressing the party even more.
    The game holds no punches and constantly throws problems in your face, from your members always being sick to injuries that constantly get worse. It's hard to get supplies to upgrade and even harder to find food but when you do begin to thrive and survive, it feels amazing.

An Solid 9/10- The score is lowered because of a bit of repetitiveness and an mediocre combat system.

NOTE-Again, this game is not for the casual gamer, there is no save slots, just auto save. The game saves at the beginning of each day so if one of your party members die.....their dead.
  52. Nov 17, 2014
    Well this one is little hard to review from one side we got not to big map every day (or night) you do same thing (try to survive during war) but other side is really deep emotions while you need to steal from people (99% they will die because of it) or one (maybe all) of your group will die. Game is really nice i recommend it really play it!
  53. Nov 17, 2014
    If any game were to show how you would survive an apocalypse, this would. Not DayZ, not H1Z1, This War of Mine.
    The game follows an almost roguelike story of a group of 3 survivors trapped in a ramshackle house. A civil war rages, threatening to tear the city apart by the seams. But, this isn't part of your little world. You focus only on the survival of your pieces of 1's and 0's called survivors and the status of other 1's and 0's called NPC's. One problem: The game lacks ambience. The only sounds are the occasional gunshot or mortar blast in the background, or the characters droning on and on about the same thing.
    It may be odd how I mention that the characters are all pieces of binary, but it's because the game makes you so damn attached to them. You'll develop stories about how your obese crackhead drunk killed off 5 bandits with a pistol and a broken bottle, or how you saved a skinny 10 year old from starvation. The game immerses you in its situation like a black hole in a mirror. This game is hard to describe, so I'll put it the way I understand it best. If you've ever seen a player in DayZ, you know that there's a certain morality to the encounter. You think to yourself "Should I kill this innocent survivor for his tin of beans," or "Should I trade my spare medicine for a few precious Mosin rounds" or even "When should I shoot him and spend the day wiping the brain matter off his pack?" This War of Mine takes this, and amplifies it. Since you take the roll of a group of civilians and not crack military soldiers, your survivors are prone to what I like to call "PTSD Attacks". Say you kill a guy who notices you stealing his ganja. When you get back, your character will tell his friends "I feel bad. I had to kill a guy". This causes almost all of your survivors to enter a state of sadness or even depression, constantly saying "I know _____ HAD to kill him, but it still sucks" or "We're killing people now.. what have we become?" When this happened, I almost smacked myself in the face for even thinking of stealing from the man trying to nurse his ill grandparents back to health. This is everything about war except for war. It's like experiencing WWII from the perspective of a Russian civilian who has lost everything to the German offensive.
    Sometimes, your characters will be so deeply troubled by their actions that they'll resort to smoking or drinking to ease the pain. This game is subtly realistic with the consequences of these actions, and it never pulls any punches. I think the only problem with This War of Mine is on a personal standpoint where it literally hurt to play because I knew that one **** up could destroy that delicate stack of cards, and most would land in a fireplace and burn me house down. This is ESPECIALLY true if you lose a talented scavenger. The game can only get a 9/10 because it's TOO punishing. If you lose a Scavenger in the field, you might as well start save scumming or just reset, because you're **** You'll lose a member of the team who could work during the day, who could scavenge during the night, and the morale of your survivors will plummet. Most will become alcoholics or drug addicts, and you will almost NEVER recover from it. It isn't realistic, it's unfair. Beyond that, the rest of the game is nice. Combat's a **** the controls are clunky and stealth feels unusual. If this had used Mark of the Ninja's stealth system, it would be the renaissance of 2D stealth 'em ups. But, between the punishment for death and the high chance of death in the field, the game falls a bit short. You don't come for the gameplay, you come for the interactive story. It's like a book you can interact with, except the book will leave a permanent scar in your brain. Gameplay isn't bad, but the story is definitely the main man in this emo carnival of a depressing game.
    TL;DR A game of psychology where everything is out to damage your morality until you turn into a monster, physically, mentally and morally. One problem, though. The game lacks ambience, and the characters can get pretty stupid sometimes. I had a character put about 7 pieces of wood in the furnace to heat my guys up, and then he said "You could catch a chill it's so damn cold in here". 2 seconds later, he says "I'm glad it's not cold in here." I laughed so hard, until it happened about 9 more times within the next 2 hours. These are only minor, and take away very slightly from the immersion. But, if you can't get immersed to Terraria, how are you going to get immersed to a 2D game? It draws you in well, but you always feel like a spectator or a little imp on your characters backs telling them what to do. Still, a grand game that shows a Video Game's potential to deliver emotion on a Shakespearian level. To quote GLaDOS from Portal, "What have you become? You monster."
  54. Nov 18, 2014
    A very grim game that puts you into the feet of survivors which end up in the middle of a civil war. Moral decisions from stealing from bandits to killing innocent elders to get their food for your group well being. This game makes you witness all the horrors of the war that are not seen by the naked eye. Makes you think about your actions and shows you how each and every action will haveA very grim game that puts you into the feet of survivors which end up in the middle of a civil war. Moral decisions from stealing from bandits to killing innocent elders to get their food for your group well being. This game makes you witness all the horrors of the war that are not seen by the naked eye. Makes you think about your actions and shows you how each and every action will have some sort of reciprocation. You have to play it to witness it yourself.

Absolutely amazing art style and soundtrack (even if it can get slightly repetitive). Definitely a contender if not an early victor for the Indie game of the year! Absolutely astonishing.

9/10 in my books!
  55. Nov 22, 2014
    This game is a really great experience. It is dark, bleak, and honest. You must balance your group's very limited resources to survive, whether through violence, bartering, or stealing you need to do whatever you have to in order to keep going. Each group member brings a different skillset to contribute to the group and the random starting characters is a nice setup. It will take anThis game is a really great experience. It is dark, bleak, and honest. You must balance your group's very limited resources to survive, whether through violence, bartering, or stealing you need to do whatever you have to in order to keep going. Each group member brings a different skillset to contribute to the group and the random starting characters is a nice setup. It will take an initial play through to understand some of the mechanics, I wasted more than a few resources building an herb garden and a heater several weeks before I ever needed them. And some of the craft items are of very dubious usefulness, the cost of building an herb garden, plus the cost of fertilizer, and tons water will only yield a handful of herbs which then cost components to build junk cigarettes. So there's definitely a little bit of balancing improvements that could be made there. The game is easy to grasp and it lands the sweet spot, it's challenging but not aggravating (much unlike the brutal and similar title Gods Will Be Watching). The artwork is beautiful, but a little bit laggy, I had to lower the graphics setting even on my 2014 Mac desktop. This game is definitely worth the time and money. I hope to see more, and I think with a bit of extra work this could go from a solid game to a classic.

Like most minimalist style games there are more than a few vague interactions and my characters have paid a price for several misclicks. It's not always clear why I can open some boarded doors with a crowbar, but not others. And it would help if the various scavenging locations were randomly generated, right now they seem to always have the same basic floor plan, which limits replay-ability.
  56. Dec 2, 2014
    if you like survival games you have to pick this one. Music and atmosphere is great. Graphics are great too. You feel somehow attached to the characters after a while and their suffer will become part of yours during the journey which is good for a survival game. Its challenging, you'll have to deal with different situations and at a times make choices that will keep you thinking for aif you like survival games you have to pick this one. Music and atmosphere is great. Graphics are great too. You feel somehow attached to the characters after a while and their suffer will become part of yours during the journey which is good for a survival game. Its challenging, you'll have to deal with different situations and at a times make choices that will keep you thinking for a moment. Should you save the food or share? Would you steal? Would you kill a stranger to save one of your owns?

Some mechanics should be reworked like getting water and tools endurance. Another aspect that needs balancing is the good/evil "path". Taking one or the other could over-complicate things to the point where choices become more obvious.

Overall a very good and solid survival game.
  57. Dec 3, 2014
    There is no way around it. This War of Mine is fun. Until it isn't anymore.

There is no way around it. This War of Mine is fun. Until it isn't anymore.

The game is unique. I had tons of fun for a while. My only issue with the game is that I wish they put a little more work into it. The buildings I could raid/explore were limited. Having to feed your party gets tedious. They might as well have made the gamer have to relieve the survivor's bladders. Waiting for the days to end was tedious. Having to start with three random party members was unnecessary as it just causes the gamer to have to create constant new games until they get the party they desired.

In short. The game is fun but it felt kind of beta-ish. The devs need to add more options/items/locations. I'd honestly value this game at $10 - $15 the way it currently stands.
  58. Dec 8, 2014
    Simply masterpiece! Very original approached. I played it on day one and didnt find 1 bug. Got like 40 h in this game first week. Thats like full time job 40/h a week. Anyways i hope others will follow and create similar titles.
  59. Dec 20, 2014
    I 've played this game and i am ready to write about it. My preview will be short so nonetheless i am gonna write a preview how i've already said. The game convey feelings and fear of war. and it's enough to say it is impressive!
  60. Dec 21, 2014
    One of the best indie games i have played and i like of how unique it is. The game is challenging and the dark atmosphere really catches the point of what war does to people. I hope the developers add more things to the game like more random events and new places or just make an expansion.
  61. Dec 22, 2014
    There's nothing more heart wrenching and infuriating as having a survivor killed in this game as it pretty much cripples you in terms of being able to protect yourself against attacks. You will also get killed easily when raiding inhabited buildings, so don't bother getting into any skirmishes until you've got some firepower, and even then favour trade and thievery over direct contact.There's nothing more heart wrenching and infuriating as having a survivor killed in this game as it pretty much cripples you in terms of being able to protect yourself against attacks. You will also get killed easily when raiding inhabited buildings, so don't bother getting into any skirmishes until you've got some firepower, and even then favour trade and thievery over direct contact. However, stealing will have a negative effect on your mood. The other survivors out there are extremely paranoid and can turn on you quickly if you act suspiciously or annoy them. This game it intense, original, graphically gorgeous and will keep you coming back again and again as you know deep down how it's all going end up - in total carnage Expand
  62. Jan 1, 2015
    This is a hard game to review because this game is not supposed to be fun. Within this survival game, they force you to make tough decisions to survive. Like stealing from the elderly and killing people who were quite literally your neighbors before the war. It's a dark and depressing state of affairs within the game and, honestly, it sets itself apart from alot of other titles in theThis is a hard game to review because this game is not supposed to be fun. Within this survival game, they force you to make tough decisions to survive. Like stealing from the elderly and killing people who were quite literally your neighbors before the war. It's a dark and depressing state of affairs within the game and, honestly, it sets itself apart from alot of other titles in the genre because of that. The game is not afraid to show you the absolute horrors of war and things that might be seen as taboo in other games. It can be difficult to play this game for more than a few hours because of that. However, the gameplay here is good. You have to scavenge for supplies at night, while defending your shelter from attack, then build up your shelter during the day with those supplies. All the while juggling eating, sleeping, and helping the people around you. The graphics are both good and bad in my opinion. It uses a pencil shading technique in places you haven't seen yet, which gives it a comic book feel to it. However, the graphics themselves are not that good. I wish the game had been given a little more polish in that department.
    In the end though, the game is very powerful and will make you want to play it again and again to see the endings and maybe try it again with a different set of survivors. The game is very slow, however, and that's probably the biggest knock against it. The pace is not one suited for your typical CoD fanboy or anyone who can't sit still for awhile. But it's still a great game and one I would definitely recommend people play at some point, just to see the atmosphere that the game establishes. Remember that this is definitely not a fun game though. It's more about the overall experience than anything else.
  63. Jan 11, 2015
    This war of mine is one of the games that gives you a puppy lets you grow up with it and then cuts its throat open so wide you can see hell. It was fun, scary and all around a moral based game, that makes you choose how your group is if they will rob a old couple or kill a merchant, which I did one of those which makes me feel worse every second and so did the character that did it, inThis war of mine is one of the games that gives you a puppy lets you grow up with it and then cuts its throat open so wide you can see hell. It was fun, scary and all around a moral based game, that makes you choose how your group is if they will rob a old couple or kill a merchant, which I did one of those which makes me feel worse every second and so did the character that did it, in the end I retried 2 timed and raged quitted once. Loved it 10/10 Expand
  64. Nov 17, 2014
    This game's greatest and most noteworthy feature is being a survival game based in reality, instead of a practically impossible fantasy scenario, such as zombies.
    The game is challenging and surprisingly moving. The hard choices feel more real and much stronger compared to a zombie game, for obvious reasons. I found myself conflicted about whether i was planning to rob at gunpoint a helpless elderly couple for their food, or whether they were just a game's NPCs, and i was simply getting free virtual supplies in a virtual environment. I still decided against it. Feeling good for doing the right thing felt better than feeling good for "winning" the game. It's a shockingly valuable lesson no games has managed to provide so far, hence my high score for it.
    My only gripe with it is that character dynamics are unclear, which can cost the precious life and supplies of your scavenger. More than once, while simply exploring or attempting to trade with someone, i ended up being killed by them, apparently for "trespassing" on an invisible limit in their abodes. I wish the NPCs would warn you more clearly about when you are intruding on them.
  65. Nov 19, 2014
    Очень понравилась игра. И даже не хочется копаться в причинах столь позитивного отношения к ней. Просто по факту - поиграл, захотелось ещё и ещё.
  66. Nov 25, 2014
    A masterpiece of modern gaming that forces questions to which there are no easy answers. A must-own for fans of survival horror, and those who are sick of the Doritos and Mountain Dew approach to games about war. Check out my full review on YouTube at Ronin Media and I will tell you exactly what makes this game tick, and why it is so deserving of all the praise it's gotten. :)
  67. Nov 30, 2014
    An outstanding example of when video games are done right, they can be an incredibly powerful tool to teach. We all know war is THE most savage and destructive thing that can happen, and this game does such an epic job at conveying that atmosphere of fear and desperation. There's so much the devs can add as well, I can only imagine this getting better with time.

Resource management,

Resource management, stealth, tactics and action all come together to make gameplay feel so good. There isn't explosions going off in every direction, there isn't flashy colours or shouting, it's a slow-paced game told at a pace to help tell the story and the characters in it, which I love. I think the most tense I've ever found a game is this, when you're desperate for food, you've gone to a dangerous place to find some meat and you're trying to quietly search a house without the crazy bandits hearing you and killing you. THAT. IS. TENSE. Buy this game, it's an experience.
  68. Jan 30, 2016
    A moving experience and an enjoyable game. It has solid replay value and is definitely a different take on the survival, base management, rogue-like experience. A well crafted game.
  69. Nov 17, 2014
    I just can't understand people who always dissatisfied of games, movies, music, their girlfriends, etc. I suggest Metacritic to do a survey to get the average score of all reviews of these people, and I'm confident that the score will be somewhere between 1 and 3.
    This is a really good game, a new concept for games, realistic and exciting, you fight for every character under your control, good physics, atmosphere, etc.
    So, if you want to find something new in the game industry, and to find a really good thing, then buy this game, it's worth it.
  70. Nov 21, 2014
    Very good game. I definitely recommend it. Has an excellent art direction, game play, mood, and atmosphere. One of the most thoughtful games I have played in a while.
  71. Nov 23, 2014
    Finally a survival game without zombies. Sick of zombies. This game is addictive even though I can see several way it can be improved to make it even better. Hope for an expansion or even a sequel. Over all a lot of thought seems to have gone into it. I know some say things may not be realistic (like why not scavenge with more than one person) but I think all the "unrealities" were in theFinally a survival game without zombies. Sick of zombies. This game is addictive even though I can see several way it can be improved to make it even better. Hope for an expansion or even a sequel. Over all a lot of thought seems to have gone into it. I know some say things may not be realistic (like why not scavenge with more than one person) but I think all the "unrealities" were in the spirit of balancing the game and making it make sense form a play mechanics point of view. Say what you will but the game does give you a real sense of desperation and barely survival. Played it first to 13 days (failed), then to 21 (failed), then to 42 (survived to end) by the skin of my teeth. It fun to play over and over to see how much more you can dominate and maybe eve take over that military base. Of the 25+ games I played this year, many of which are AAA titles, I think I enjoyed this the most so far. We'll see if Farcry 4 or Assassin's Creed Unity changes that. Expand
  72. Nov 23, 2014
    Very good game! It reminds me of some great games back in the 90's. None of them had crazy visuals but were extremely fun to play due to great design, good story and immersion. I played this non stop for almost 2 days now, and even tho I only made it to day 19 so far, I am still learning the strategy and game always manages to throw a curve ball at you when you least expect it. Giving it 9Very good game! It reminds me of some great games back in the 90's. None of them had crazy visuals but were extremely fun to play due to great design, good story and immersion. I played this non stop for almost 2 days now, and even tho I only made it to day 19 so far, I am still learning the strategy and game always manages to throw a curve ball at you when you least expect it. Giving it 9 out of 10. If this was 5-7 years ago, I would it give this a 10 for sure! Expand
  73. Jan 11, 2015
    This War of Mine is a survival-themed strategy game where the player controls a group of civilian survivors in a makeshift shelter in a besieged, war-torn city. The main goal of the game is to survive the war with the tools and materials the player can gather with the characters they control. Most of the characters under the player's control have no military background or any kind ofThis War of Mine is a survival-themed strategy game where the player controls a group of civilian survivors in a makeshift shelter in a besieged, war-torn city. The main goal of the game is to survive the war with the tools and materials the player can gather with the characters they control. Most of the characters under the player's control have no military background or any kind of survival experience, and will require constant intervention by the player in order to stay alive. It is the player's responsibility to maintain their characters' health, hunger and mood levels until the declaration of a ceasefire, which occurs after a randomized duration. Expand
  74. Feb 11, 2015
    Nice to see a game in a war setting where you play as a regular person trying to survive. This War of Mine is a fun little game where you need to gather supplies, help people out, try not to get killed, and just generally survive through the war. Things get hard when people get depressed, sick, or bandits come in during the night and take your stuff.
  75. Feb 12, 2015
    A very good game, that you will enjoy playing, and make you think in the process.

The game is not perfect, and becomes very easy once you understand its mechanics. But playing it the first time was magical to me. I was stressed, cautious, sad. Some dilemmas really shattered me. It is a grand game. On the plus side, 11 bit studios is really engaged in making good by supporting an

On the plus side, 11 bit studios is really engaged in making good by supporting an NGO, Child War. Very refreshing.

I really hope 11 bit studios build on this success, and make a 2nd game, even darker, even more difficult, and very unpredictable.
  76. May 14, 2015
    This game should have a warning label, because it is addictive! I just can't quit playing. I think that, beyond the compelling gameplay and the strategy elements; the back story is of such high quality that gamers find themselves immersed in this other world. I mean, you can't just stop with the game. You might find yourself reading multiple books & memoirs of the real Sarajevo survivorsThis game should have a warning label, because it is addictive! I just can't quit playing. I think that, beyond the compelling gameplay and the strategy elements; the back story is of such high quality that gamers find themselves immersed in this other world. I mean, you can't just stop with the game. You might find yourself reading multiple books & memoirs of the real Sarajevo survivors like I did. And, there is no cure for that. As if that was not enough, the game has this art and music immersion that creates an atmosphere that locks you in. I can't recall another game where you can have the characters play guitars. The game literally sparkles with the human spirit! And, now they've added custom scenarios. The only thing missing is a sequel. Expand
  77. Nov 24, 2019
    Hello everyone! This is my first review but definitely not my first game. I came into this game without knowing so much as it’s genre, but what did I think? Let’s get into the review and see.

The first thing you see when you launch This War of Mine is an appropriate quote from Hemingway “In modern war...you will die like a dog for no good reason.” This does a great job of setting the feel for the game you are about to experience. This War of Mine is an atmospheric game that sets its dark tone very well and makes it easy to feel the dread of a civilian caught in a conflict with little hope. The game takes place in a fictional, seemingly Eastern European country stuck in a civil war. You play as a small group of acquaintances brought together by various circumstances that now work together to scavenge for food and materials hoping to survive.

Graphics/Sound

This War of Mine has stylized visuals and music that help immerse you into the environment. Everything is viewed as a cross section of a building, whether it be your own home, or a building you’re looting for supplies during the night. Your home has some warm colors but during the scavenging at night most things are grey and things that fall out of your line of sight are obscured in a haze, adding to the mystery of what you might find as you continue forward. The music in the game from the beginning gives ambiance setting a very bleak tone for the game. This is especially noteworthy while scavenging at night and helps to put you on edge when you find yourself in a tough spot.

Gameplay

This War of Mine is essentially a resource management game and is in some ways comparable to a worker placement game for the board gaming fans. As far as actual physical gameplay goes the left click is the only input you need, so mechanical skills won’t hold you back here. Simply left click to interact with whatever you’d like to grab or interact with, or double click to run to that location. During the day you will spend your time getting your group fed and improving your home. At night you can send one person to a location to scavenge and the rest will be left behind to either sleep or guard your belongings. There is limited time management needed during the day so most real gameplay is the scavenging, which can range from just using a crowbar to get through an abandoned house to sneaking through a building full of military personnel.

Pros/Cons
    Pros:
    -This game is immersive which makes it easy to get invested in the characters and your groups ultimate survival
    -The game mechanics are quite compelling seen through the weight of your options and planning your next move carefully to avoid unforeseen consequences
    -Given the context of the story you feel the moral weight of your actions if you kill or steal as do your characters
    -Because of the difficulty, every new piece of furniture or new meal feels earned and rewarding
    Cons:
    -The learning curve is steep and if you go in blind don’t expect to survive much more than a couple weeks your first couple tries
    - Sometimes decisions feel forced because you can become so strapped for resources
    - Because the controls are so simple, it can be very easy to misclick and put yourself in danger while scavenging

This War of Mine is a very well crafted setting that makes you really feel the importance of your resource management much more than many similar games. The first time I sat down and played I was immersed for the better part of a day. With that said, the game is incredibly unforgiving and the learning curve is steep. The scarcity of resources and the tough decisions add to the flavor of the game but are a bit steep from a gameplay perspective. Overall I would give it a 7.5/10. While it may be a bit daunting for the casual player, anyone who is willing to spend some time learning the game and especially those who enjoy survival and resource management will surely find this game well worth the price tag.
  78. Dec 14, 2014
    This game is certainly one of my favorite games in the past decade and has a HUGE replay-ability factor. Dont let the 2d fool you ... Excellent graphics, music, sound, etc. etc. Its not an easy game, and expect to die and restart a lot, but I promise you, you'll love the challenge and the list of characters and scenarios.
    My hat is off to the devs on this one: They really tapped into a
    My hat is off to the devs on this one: They really tapped into a creative vein on this one and created one hell of a game.
  79. Dec 23, 2014
    For a game which is essentially 2d and designed to be playable on smartphones, this one is really fun.

The survivor characters are quite distinctive and interesting. And the game-play and controls are well thought about. Your decisions seem to matter. As for disadvantages, the game has a tendency to crash. You only can have up to 4 characters per play (it would be fun to have more

As for disadvantages, the game has a tendency to crash. You only can have up to 4 characters per play (it would be fun to have more people in the house), and the gameplay is only 45 "days" long. Real wars don't end that soon and can last for years. I was quite disappointed when it turned out that you can win by surviving 45 days, instead of conditions getting worse and worse day by day for a long time.

Overall, this game has been much more fun than some hipped up recent releases
  80. Dec 28, 2014
    Intense and random, this game is rewards and punishes you with great magnitude. The atmosphere and immersion was fantastic. Not my kind of game so a 8
  81. Jan 1, 2015
    This War of Mine is an utterly wonderful game with a unique take on an otherwise popular premise.

Will definitely grab it again on iOS, but would love to see this stellar adventure come to PS4/Vita too. Given 11 bit Studios support of PS4 with Anomaly 2, I'm hoping it'll happen.
  82. Jan 5, 2015
    My personal game of the year, despite a few minor flaws; The game places in control of a group of war-time civilians who have taken up residence in a dilapidated house--your objective is to survive the conflict as best as you are able, while making moral choices along the way.

The game has a very distinct art style, using a sort of "greyscale motif" to drive the art and animation, reinforcing the game's bleak narrative. Characters and objects in the game are drawn with detail, but backgrounds and areas of the game map that are out of sights are "sketched over" with a fog of war. The result gives the game a haunting look, while remaining firmly entrenched in realism.

The game revolves mainly around resource management: Scavenge and trade resources to upgrade your safe house, purchase food and weapons, and basically give yourself the best possible fighting chance to survive the war. Survivors each have their own strengths and weaknesses to add to your strategy--do you send Boris into the ruined villa to have him deal with the thugs guarding the supply cache, or do you send stealthy Arica in to sneak around and pilfer their stuff, leaving them unmolested. A trickier approach, for sure, but one that might let you sleep a little more soundly...

It is the moral choices in the game that set this apart from other resource management games, and unfortunately, it's also where the game stumbles a bit. I very quickly discovered that while the game wants to put me in the moral hot seat, it's a very simple thing to use the game's engine to my benefit. Trader has a whole bunch of stuff that I can't afford? Send Katja, the trader to talk to him...she'll very easily rob him blind through unfair trading. Want me to think twice about killing people? Killing is one of the most lucrative parts of the game (which, to be fair, might say more about me as a person than it says about the game, but I wanted to mention it.)

This War of Mine is a great game with a strong sense of identity that will provide you with hours of enjoyment, provided you can keep into the spirit of the game's narrative, without meta-gaming too much.
  83. Jan 7, 2015
    I am a big fan of this game and will do my best to provide a spoil free review of this game:

Graphics: This is one of the weaker areas of the game for me. Saying that though I will also say that the art direction is good. It serves the purposes of the game well and works well with the game play of the game. I will say that overall it works very well. 7/10 Gameplay: The Gameplay is

Gameplay: The Gameplay is really strong. It is a real time based strat game. I like it a lot. But I am usually pulled to these types of games. The fact that the choices you make in the game tie in strongly to the story work very well. And I enjoy it that the gameplay does tie in to the story. 8/10

Story: This is the strongest point of the game to me. It does a wonderful job of portraying the story, and the ideas of the game. When you make choices it effects a lot in the game. And the choices are made within the moment of game play. Which I really enjoy. So sometimes you end up making choice even though you may not mean to, but I think that truly adds to the atmosphere. 10/10

Sound: The sound design is really strong as well. It bleeds into the enviornment. It is one of the few games in which I do not turn the music off in order to watch netflix on my second monitor. And this is saying a lot. 9/10

Overall: 8.5/10 One of the top 10 games I've played in the last year. Which is saying a lot. If you like games that portray a strong moral objective, or are more 2d strat based, I highly recommend!
  84. Mar 22, 2015
    Extremely challenging game (as there is no difficulty setting), but rewarding. Good gameplay mechanics, very few bugs, rich & immersive story plot. Lots of replayability potential.
  85. Apr 13, 2015
    This game is VERY hard, but extremely thought-provoking.

This game is VERY hard, but extremely thought-provoking.

It is perfectly balanced so that, if you are lucky and clever enough, you will have JUST enough to get by the day. There are risks worth taking, but fail and you will fall HARD. It really captures the hardships of civilians trapped in war zones, and it makes you look at current events like Syria and other hotspots in a whole new light.

At the same time, it is very rewarding gameplay and will have you coming back over and over to try new approaches and strategies. There are lots of hours you can get out of this, if you can take it. In addition, the visuals and soundtrack are excellent.

For those who believe that video games aren’t an art form, or believe that games can’t be enjoyable and thought-provoking at the same time, I implore them to look at This War of Mine.
  86. May 30, 2015
    It's an excellent game regarding its mechanics and basic concept. However, I find it falls short when it comes to various social commentary. Unless the social commentary you want to make is that even in war time, people behave like spoiled little brats. Because while horrible people all around are robbing, raping and killing, the biggest problem for my survivors was "We have no coffee" orIt's an excellent game regarding its mechanics and basic concept. However, I find it falls short when it comes to various social commentary. Unless the social commentary you want to make is that even in war time, people behave like spoiled little brats. Because while horrible people all around are robbing, raping and killing, the biggest problem for my survivors was "We have no coffee" or "We have no cigarettes". It made them sad most of the time. Boohoo. I purposely never gave them anything for being such damn cry babies. And when I killed a bunch of psychopaths who had mutilated corpses lying around and were about to attack my scavenging survivor and I took their stuff (Because why not? They were awful people and they're dead...), one of my survivors got depressed, the others who weren't sad yet got sad. I find the game very lacking in these regards because it made me feel increasingly detached from the moral dilemmas it portrays. Which I found to be the best thing about this game when I first started playing. Anyway... until one full play-through is accomplished, it is at least something interesting, refreshing and challenging. Expand
  87. Jul 6, 2015
    Not boring to be played repeatedly. The number of characters with different backgrounds and levels of difficulty which is quite difficult. Initially I thought this game would be boring, but it did not. Often we made should choose in difficult situations.

I have finished the game three times and finally tried the story itself. hohoho. Buy this game there are funds allocated for victims of war, so you can play while charity.
  88. Aug 9, 2015
    After hitting an initial wall in the first three hours, I initially wanted to write a scathing "F@#$ You" type negative review but I stuck with it....and i'm glad. It's an incredibly well balanced game and rewarding, but you have to push the brutality to the side and just roll with it. Don't let it get personal or it's going to get you down because it took me a third restart to finallyAfter hitting an initial wall in the first three hours, I initially wanted to write a scathing "F@#$ You" type negative review but I stuck with it....and i'm glad. It's an incredibly well balanced game and rewarding, but you have to push the brutality to the side and just roll with it. Don't let it get personal or it's going to get you down because it took me a third restart to finally nail it.

Problems: The fact that you can't cleanly save/exit when doing a night scavenge is frustrating. The fact you can't cleanly save/exit while back in your shelter is pure BS as well. And to make it worse, every time you load up the game it randomly generates a new condition in your shelter (raided, wounded, loss of bullets, theft, etc). This, oddly enough, is both a flaw and an exploit since you can exit/reload repeatedly until you get a favorable outcome.

Secondly, there were times when i was hiding from bandits and they got stuck in a twitchy pathing issue and wouldn't move. This is likely to cost you a character and needs to be fixed since every scrap counts BIGTIME. These issues (and there are a few more that i'm not going to harp on) need to be fixed, and is why it got some points removed.

Protip: Use a tablet or pen/paper to keep track of your nightly scavenging runs!! Upgrade and board up your shelter as a top priority. If it's too hard, choose to "write my own story" and you can setup a MUCH easier game for yourself.
  89. Sep 21, 2015
    In This War of Mine you play as a group of civilians trapped inside a city torn apart by war and have to try to keep them alive as they struggle with lack of food, medicine and the constant danger of hostile soldiers and civilian scavengers. With character deaths being permanent and tough choices having to be made constantly it provides a completely different perspective on war from theIn This War of Mine you play as a group of civilians trapped inside a city torn apart by war and have to try to keep them alive as they struggle with lack of food, medicine and the constant danger of hostile soldiers and civilian scavengers. With character deaths being permanent and tough choices having to be made constantly it provides a completely different perspective on war from the usual shoot first, ask questions later gameplay of other video games and makes for a tense and enthralling experience. Expand
  90. Oct 7, 2015
    Tuna. Moonshine. Shooting and stabbing defenseless old people to steal the supplies you desperately need, only to return home and find the person you just killed for has died or left. That is the war of surviving that takes place in this beautiful game. Each play through is different allowing multiply types of experiences as you play, the story is just surviving and learning about yourTuna. Moonshine. Shooting and stabbing defenseless old people to steal the supplies you desperately need, only to return home and find the person you just killed for has died or left. That is the war of surviving that takes place in this beautiful game. Each play through is different allowing multiply types of experiences as you play, the story is just surviving and learning about your characters as you go and try to fend off raiders, disease, and hungry. Enjoyably difficult and makes you hate your self when you have to gun down or shank some old man because you need his meds for Marvin. Great audio through the game with making it sound like a war is going on, like there is supposed to be. Several times I though I was going to get blow up from hearing motor fire. Good game and feels oh so good when you survive to the ceasefire. Expand
  91. Nov 30, 2015
    Great ambience!
    Game mechanics are addictive enough, with tough decisions all around in what location to explore, what loot to bring back, what to trade, etc.
    Great ambience!

Characters have some life, it is fairly important to know how to use the team you have. Their stories are not that impressive, but you fill in the blanks fairly well from their comments and interactions (namely when they fight each other)

It gets old quick once you figure out what everything does.
    It's my problem with survival games, either there's a wiki or there's absolutely no information. The internet becomes an annoying compromise that gives neither ambience nor clear answers.

It also, thankfully, doesn't try to get overly complicated. Which means that relationships between characters and the outside world are limited, as is interaction with objects. Makes it a simple good game. Not an excellent one.
  92. Dec 24, 2015
    This game is of moderate size, but is replayable.

This is the kind of game that you are going to reinstall on your computer once per year and go through it all again. It is that pleasant. The unique graphics are quite good and the grim look of the game reflects how difficult and horrible wars are, especially today. If you are looking for a game you will play each year, this is
    This game is of moderate size, but is replayable.

If you are looking for a game you will play each year, this is your game. It is simple and not too difficult like some other survival game. Remember that this game is to show how horrible wars are in the modern world (in general too).

You can also donate to a charity that takes care of children caught in wars on steam, which is a nice gesture and good idea on the part of the designers.
  93. Jul 20, 2016
    This War of Mine manages to be simple and yet full of content and replayability value.
    I personally don't love this type of games that much, and was actually rather disappointed at first, because when I bought this game I expected something a bit more story driven with more precise objectives and purposes.
    Not that what I found out instead wasn't good. This War of Mine is more of a

Not that what I found out instead wasn't good.
    This War of Mine is more of a resources management game, and your only purpose is to survive. How to do that? That's all up to you. The game will bring you to various situations and both moral and fatal decisions which you'll have to face.

The game doesn't explain much about WHAT to do, there's not really any sort of tutorial. You start right away. At first I was a bit pissed off by that, but soon enough I discovered that the gameplay grows on you and you can easily grasp it, and also, just like in real life, you sometimes can't be sure what you're actions will bring and what the consequences are going to be. So I've also had a few surprises.

This War of Mine would indeed make sure that you feel every consequence of every action you're going to do, and you can't escape that. For example, you have a possibility to steal from an old couple which cannot defend itself. This is an easy way of gathering food, and trying to find food at any other place would be very risky, and you can easily die. You won't get away with stealing because characters would start to be depressed and question their own actions. And, of course, you absolutely can't live without food to eat...

The game also manages to somehow create a strong emotional connection to the characters, albeit it provides very little back story and does everything in a very simplistic way. But that's probably a part of the magic, the minimal and poor environment, the melancholic tunes and feelings the game evokes in you.

I found myself feeling terrible after I made my characters die because of my choices, and on that moment I realized the game actually WORKS. And pretty well. So, even though it's not my cup of tea, I'm going to find out the rest of the content the game has to offer and would probably give it another few goes.
  94. Aug 10, 2016
    This may seem like a very boring game, but once you begin playing it you won't want to stop. I have played through the entire game three times, and it just gets better and better.
  95. Dec 1, 2016
    Survival, Strategy, Action, Drama and many more genres can be addressed to this great game. It's a game which really puts you in the place of the civilians during a war, who have to survive using any materials can find all around. The thing is that after some playthroughs you will get that every matterial is really useful, and none is better than any other. The bad thing about this gameSurvival, Strategy, Action, Drama and many more genres can be addressed to this great game. It's a game which really puts you in the place of the civilians during a war, who have to survive using any materials can find all around. The thing is that after some playthroughs you will get that every matterial is really useful, and none is better than any other. The bad thing about this game is that if you mange to find some mechanics to survive one playthrough you will probably survive every playthrough you will try again. I would like it a little more challenging and that's why i don't put a 10/10 score. It's a game that you have to experience and cant be described well using words. Great music, scenario and innovative gameplay Expand
  96. Jan 26, 2017
    Ein unglaublich geniales Spiel von 11Bit. Man wird ständig moralischen Konflikten entgegengesetzt und kann sich entscheiden zwischen Gut und Böse. Sehr emotional werden einem die Geschichten der Überlebenden erzählt und jede Handlung hat seine Konsequenzen. Mit dem neuen The Littel Ones DLC, bei dem man zusätzlich auch noch auf ein Kind aufpassen muss kann man sich noch besser hineinfühlenEin unglaublich geniales Spiel von 11Bit. Man wird ständig moralischen Konflikten entgegengesetzt und kann sich entscheiden zwischen Gut und Böse. Sehr emotional werden einem die Geschichten der Überlebenden erzählt und jede Handlung hat seine Konsequenzen. Mit dem neuen The Littel Ones DLC, bei dem man zusätzlich auch noch auf ein Kind aufpassen muss kann man sich noch besser hineinfühlen und ändert finde ich auch ein bisschen die Art, wie man sich entscheidet. Expand
  97. Apr 18, 2017
    This War is Mine is a very unique and dynamic game. It's refreshing to play a game as a survivor of an ongoing conflict. The game presents many challenges, encounters, opportunities and characters. The best way I can put it is this game feels very real when you're playing it.
    The only reason I wouldn't give it a 10/10 is because after playing it for about 10 or so hours you realise how much of a simple game it is, that makes it great but also a little short lived. I haven't played much of it nor have I played any DLC, but I think with just a little extra work it could make the game perfect.
  98. Apr 29, 2017
    What a great game. One of the best ever in building atmosphere and intensity. Visuals are really class and fits the atmosphere. It is fun and it also has something to say.
  99. Jun 23, 2017
    The most refreshing thing about this game is that realistically depicts what war is really like. Unlike the glorified COD which, incidentally, is funded by the US military. Go figure! Basically, war is hell. And so is this game. Its a struggle most of the time. And you have to scrape and save and muster and manage. And it is, quite honestly, very satisfying. Cross walking dead withThe most refreshing thing about this game is that realistically depicts what war is really like. Unlike the glorified COD which, incidentally, is funded by the US military. Go figure! Basically, war is hell. And so is this game. Its a struggle most of the time. And you have to scrape and save and muster and manage. And it is, quite honestly, very satisfying. Cross walking dead with a good strategy title and you pretty much have it. Well played developers. Picked it up for £3 on steam and im hooked. And so much replayability. I am a fan! Well done! Expand
  100. Sep 10, 2017
    Thoroughly enjoyed this one. This War of Mine is masterful at creating an atmosphere of sadness and desperation. This game has a very tough learning curve, and every mistake you make will progressively make the game more difficult down the road. Deaths are permanent. Everything is in short supply and no, you can't craft your way into a producing infinite amounts of resources. ThisThoroughly enjoyed this one. This War of Mine is masterful at creating an atmosphere of sadness and desperation. This game has a very tough learning curve, and every mistake you make will progressively make the game more difficult down the road. Deaths are permanent. Everything is in short supply and no, you can't craft your way into a producing infinite amounts of resources. This desperation forces you to do bad things just to survive. My scenario ended at Day 48 and it was a remarkable experience. It made me rethink of how I take trivial things for granted. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 63 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 11, 2019
    For the price it is… I wouldn’t even say wait for a sale, I’d just say buy this game… it will challenge you, it will pull at your heart strings… but I think, especially in this day and age, we need games like this to remind us to care for one another and to point out what is really important.
  2. Mar 22, 2015
    A deeply atmospheric, emotionally compelling game that manages to treat war as a serious topic and examines the hard choices made by those caught in the middle of conflict.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Feb 9, 2015
    Not many games can claim to be "edifying." I think this one can. [Issue#257, p.75]