8.9

1. Nov 26, 2011
    Few other games have even come close to achieving what this little indie game has in it's 4 hour long gameplay period. To the moon is a sort of game which makes you howl with laughter one moment while making you weep the next. It uses every single pixel on screen to mesmerize you and astonish you as to how much emotion can be portrayed using a 16 bit look. The story takes the supremeFew other games have even come close to achieving what this little indie game has in it's 4 hour long gameplay period. To the moon is a sort of game which makes you howl with laughter one moment while making you weep the next. It uses every single pixel on screen to mesmerize you and astonish you as to how much emotion can be portrayed using a 16 bit look. The story takes the supreme precedence in this adventure/RPG game (though there is almost no RPG elements- apart from a very humorous jab at jRPG early in the game). The creator uses the game mostly to paint a wonderful story surrounding love, adventure, life and death. Some might not like it since gameplay takes the back seat, but I assure you that this is the kind of game which makes most of the movies and tv shows look petty. While the gameplay elements are pretty straightforward for anyone to pickup quickly, there are some small challenges along the way concerning the number of moves to complete intermittent puzzles.
    The game does falter a little bit towards the end, making use of tedious chasing sequences at one point but that is small enough to be forgiven.
    All in all this is a game which raises indie gaming to a whole different level in terms of its storytelling and the thoughtfulness of its premise- I might say as good as Braid and Limbo.
    Do yourself a favor and play this game.
  2. Dec 3, 2011
    Found the game when browsing for something new on Gamespot... OH MY GOD! All the good storytelling of the old adventure games and a deep and immersing experience for 11 bucks... it's just amazing. Thank you free bird games and please port to iPad and release future games on iPad / touch / iphone as you will have a hit on your hands and this game would play perfectly on the platform! IFound the game when browsing for something new on Gamespot... OH MY GOD! All the good storytelling of the old adventure games and a deep and immersing experience for 11 bucks... it's just amazing. Thank you free bird games and please port to iPad and release future games on iPad / touch / iphone as you will have a hit on your hands and this game would play perfectly on the platform! I would buy it again for iPad just to be able to play on the go / in bed! Expand
  3. Nov 26, 2011
    I was excited to see this game release from when I heard about it awhile ago. It borrows from the style of the 16-bit video game generation of yore, and shows the story of a man on his deathbed, who signs up for a program that can help him relive his life in order to achieve his wish.

His wish? He wants to go to the moon. If you're anything like me, you're going through the first two

His wish? He wants to go to the moon.

If you're anything like me, you're going through the first two hours of the game, basically at the brink of bawling like a baby (don't clump me in with those emo kids), with the last thing on your mind having anything to do with the moon. It's a complex story, and the culmination point of it seems farfetched until you let the entire story play before you, and you recognize the beauty of it all.

Let me tell you something. Beauty is a perfect word to describe it. The storytelling is masterful, and complex, and charming. The characters are lovable. You play as the two scientists who assist the man in the pursuit of his dream, and often act as the comic relief for emotionally tense situations. Other times, they show as glimpses of characters who themselves have dark and secreted away emotions and struggles.

The graphics show how aesthetic and detailed something can be when you focus that graphical attention on a style which is otherwise considered to be outdated. If you can masterfully produce something in 16-bit graphics, then you can see it as masterful as someone who built a complicated 3D system. The difference is that you have a much harder time showing a masterful presentation in 3D that ages well, since the medium is constantly being updated. The odd place of this current-day 16-bit presentation looks easily as masterful as the most detailed presentations of 16-bit classics.

In short, I loved it.

So, here's the part where I provide some criticism. The game looks very much like an old turn-based RPG classic. It plays like a point-and-click adventure, and much of the actual 'gameplay' is a set of sliding puzzles. The intent, it seems, is to focus much of the attention of the player to be on the story (which, as previously stated, is a strong point worthy of being pointed toward), but after all is said and done, one wonders about how necessary it was to have the title called a 'game'.

Could the presentation have survived without the gameplay mechanics? The sliding puzzles, certainly, but one of the best things about a video game over, say, a book or a movie, is that you have the ability to interact with the world to get the most out of the storyline. There were a few things that I admired that could have only been done through use of gameplay- notes which get altered by untrustworthy narrators, and the like, but beyond that much of the exploration is required to progress the game, and the interactivity between the player and the environment is slim.

In fact, the game 'reads' much like a visual novel. You do macguffins, and it makes story happen. But they jokingly acknowledged it several times, and clearly made an effort to keep it at a necessary minimum. To be fair, the turn-taking RPG itself stuff itself with macguffin'd tasks and elements. I dare you to tell me that the actual 'gameplay' in a Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior game is good. Enjoying the battle element out of a turn-taking RPG is like liking calculators and Excel spreadsheets for the thrilling gameplay. You do a thing, which makes you feel like you're progressing.

But, gamewise, is there a better way to include gameplay into a title which wants to focus as much as possible onto the story? Because of the detective-like elements of gameplay, and the articulation of the scientists would be better utilized with some of the elements which made Phoenix Wright into a game. I mean, sure, I don't know anything more about law than I did when I started playing the games, but I sure as hell felt like a lawyer. Some of the clues to the mystery of the man you are helping might be better solved if a gameplay mechanic forced the player to draw some of the conclusions itself.

The end of the game was a clear and complete story of the man whose life you explored. But what is opened to you is a very interesting world, prime with opportunity for further exploration. So long as the charm of the two scientists is not over-explored early on, I expect myself to be able to enjoy the sequels that the game's conclusion certainly seemed to be hinting at. Hopefully I can man the hell up before I play them.

Extra Note: I want to give special commendation to the game To the Moon for including a character who has special needs successfully into the story. I won't be too specific, since every single thing about this game should be experienced through the game itself, but all I want to say is that it was amazing to get a realistic human characterization without getting the 'a very special episode' feeling. Bravo.
  4. Sep 14, 2013
    I just couldn't stop playing it! It's firmly an adventure game, which is a genre I don't often enjoy, but the story was so gripping...I had to keep going...

Granted, it took less than 5 hours to complete, but it's great!
  5. Jan 2, 2013
    This game made me cry all night :'S It's good to feel that I'm not made of stone after all. Beautiful game!! You couldn't have done it better, a truly masterpiece!
  6. Aug 25, 2013
    Melhor experiência que já tive com um "game" no decorrer dos 26 anos da minha existência. Simplesmente fantástico. A história, a trilha tudo excepcional, nunca imaginaria isso de um "game" feito no rpgmaker. Merece a atenção de todos.
  7. Aug 1, 2013
    Don't play this game around other people. Play it alone. It will be a very personal experience, and one that you won't want to share. Emotions you feel will be reminiscent of Final Fantasy 7. The writer/developer is a master storyteller, and the music/song complete the artwork. Well done.
  8. Sep 3, 2013
    -To The Moon's story is the best I've ever encountered in my 25 years of gaming. It deals with mature themes that make you think about memories, regrets, life, love, and what it means to be human. At times, it can get very melodramatic, but Gao balances that perfectly with some great comedic moments. The dialogue is witty, and the characters, and plot are well developed.

-The soundtrack

-The soundtrack is excellent as well. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really like how Gao uses one song as a motiff that perfectly fits the story at hand.

-The graphics are a throwback to the 16 bit era, although to me it looked like an early PSX rpg game since the color palette exceeds the 256 on screen palette of the SNES. The graphics are really lush, and fit the story's purpose. I really hate it when people say that retro 16 bit graphics are bad. That is just a stupid notion. Would you say that Picasso's paintings are bad? Of course not. It's just a different style.
  9. Nov 26, 2011
    The ending of To The Moon actually made me cry. Real tears. Then again like half an hour later when I made some connections that needed some mulling. I can't even remember the last time a story touched me like this game did.
  10. Nov 26, 2011
    The music is very powerful. I liked the gameplay concept. Amazing, just amazing. Really inspirational and heart warming. Would love to see more games like these around, but then again having the same idea is never really much of a good thing.
  11. Nov 27, 2011
    This game is quite an experience. It is fun and engaging. Those who like visual novels would probably like this, as well as those who don't. The story is great and the game is definitely worth it.
  12. Nov 27, 2011
    To be completely honest, i was just expecting an everyday RPG that almost everyone tries to create. I ended up getting a heart felt masterpiece. Best classic rpg ive played in a long tong Im hoping that freebird games actually consider the possibility of creating more games like this and or if not just make more games with our two lovable characters the good DRs.
  13. Nov 27, 2011
    To The Moon's highlights are its story and soundtracks. You'd definitely be touched after playing this 5 hours amazing story. The story couldn't been any better and sometimes you'd wonder how possibly people thought of such beautiful story.
  14. Jan 4, 2013
    I think that players of this game come in about two different categories: The humans who love it, and the inhuman machines who don't. I, in particular, am a human. The main things it is bashed about is the lack of gameplay, immersion, and the writing. For me, the lack of gameplay wan't a bad thing because I get to spent more time thinking about what's going on with the characters. If youI think that players of this game come in about two different categories: The humans who love it, and the inhuman machines who don't. I, in particular, am a human. The main things it is bashed about is the lack of gameplay, immersion, and the writing. For me, the lack of gameplay wan't a bad thing because I get to spent more time thinking about what's going on with the characters. If you say that the game had no emotional impact on you, then you are inhuman. I personally liked the writing; there was a good balance of cheesy, but entertaining, jokes and serious dialogue. The thing is that if you pride gameplay above all else, and care little for a game's story, then you won't get much out of To The Moon. Have a good day. Expand
  15. Jan 24, 2013
    This is basically an interactive movie, and the "gameplay" essentially consists of walking around and moving the characters through the story. There's no actual challenge anywhere, you can't "lose", and you can't do anything to affect the overall outcome. Still, despite all of this, moving through the world of To the Moon, and watching this particularly story unfold....well, it's simplyThis is basically an interactive movie, and the "gameplay" essentially consists of walking around and moving the characters through the story. There's no actual challenge anywhere, you can't "lose", and you can't do anything to affect the overall outcome. Still, despite all of this, moving through the world of To the Moon, and watching this particularly story unfold....well, it's simply beautiful. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll never quite look at a paper bunny rabbit the same way again. :P Expand
  16. Apr 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This story made me, a 17 year old guy, start crying. The story is so moving and so well written, that months later, i still think about it.

I laugh, i cried, i stopped and thought, i was angry, and i was happy. It. Was. AMAZING.

However, don't go into this story thinking its a game. Its not a game. Its a Story, and nothing more.

But it is quite simply the best story ive ever had the privilege to read.
  17. Sep 13, 2013
    Beautiful, lack of gameplay but the most immersive heart warming stories I have ever seen in a video game. You might complain there is a lack of depth and gameplay itself, so if you are one who expects all that then please this is not a game for you. All I can say is that this has made me appreciate the values of memories and love to a whole new scale, please, just give it a go, you won'tBeautiful, lack of gameplay but the most immersive heart warming stories I have ever seen in a video game. You might complain there is a lack of depth and gameplay itself, so if you are one who expects all that then please this is not a game for you. All I can say is that this has made me appreciate the values of memories and love to a whole new scale, please, just give it a go, you won't be dissapointed. Expand
  18. Apr 28, 2013
    I just finished the game and it's just amazing, when I first read about the game in my head I really thought it was going to be a very serious game, but it actually really had its funny moments and I loved that. The story turned out beautifully and the music is also really nice. Loved the game!
  19. Feb 17, 2013
    It takes a lot of courage to create a game that has a primary focus on story. It takes even more courage to limit your gameplay because of that same focus. To the Moon apparently has a lot of courage. Is the story of To the Moon strong enough it to stand on its own? Short answer, yes. Yes it is.

Now, let me get something out of the way. No, this game does not have revolutionary graphics. No, this game lacks gameplay mechanics of a traditional adventure RPG. There is no combat. There is no leveling up. To the Moon is not that kind of game. I wouldn't even call it a game, really. To the Moon is an interactive story. And it was intended to be. And yet I can't explain the story without ruining it. This is an experience that cannot be told. If you want to understand why this story is worth telling, you're going to have to pay your money and watch it unfold with your own eyes. The soundtrack to this game is also extremely emotional and is one of the more memorable scores. Piano segments seriously brought me to tears at some points in time, simply because of the pure emotion behind every keystroke. Every song matched the mood it was trying to portray. I have never really been moved by a soundtrack quite like this one. Now, unfortunately, there are some flaws that keep this game from being perfect. Some parts of the game have pointless comedic one-liners from Dr. Neil Watts, who can ruin a mood in an instant. He makes a wisecrack in almost every scene. Mind you, there are some times when his interactions are actually needed and enjoyed. But the number of bad interactions outweigh the good. However, I must say that his personality straightens out in the final half of the game, so he's not all bad. Also, the puzzles in the game seem to be quite out of place. I don't think the game was extremely hindered by them, but at the same time they shouldn't have really been there. All in all, To the Moon is not a game. It's a story. It's an experience. And what an experience it is. There are a couple hiccups down the road, but the sheer amount of emotion put into this game's story and music completely makes up for the flaws of the game. There are few original games out there nowadays, and I'm ecstatic to say that To the Moon is an experience worth enjoying. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll most definitely fall in love with this game just as I have.
  20. Mar 21, 2013
    Pleaso read it all. I am not judging "To the Moon" as a game because that would be a mistake. I am judging it for what it is. I'll explain...

I've cryed four times during this game. I can't tell at which parts whitout spoiling it, but, what I can say is basically I suffered something very similar to what the main character did. I will argue for days with people that say that "To the Moon"s story lacks of depth or originality. George R.R. Martin himself sayi that, these days, is not about telling a original story, but about telling a story in a way that has never been told. "To the moon" told me a story in a way that I was never told before. I would not call To the Moon as a game precisely, it's more of an interactive novel, with a few puzzles, very simple ones by the way. To the moon is a piece of art for me. It's basically a story told in a very beautiful way. I was sincerelly touched by this "game" and if you ever lost someone dear to you, I promisse you will be touched too.

This is currently 3 bucks at Steam. Please don't draw yourself away from this game just because somepeople are complaining about graphics or not allowing themselfs to be touched by simple things. Anyway, that's my opinion
  21. Aug 1, 2013
    To tell you what makes this game so good, would be a spoiler. Now, don't watch any trailer of To The Moon, just go get the game and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  22. Oct 12, 2013
    Discovered the game thanks to a friend who said me to try it.
    Incredible work: so beautiful, touching, sublime, just perfect... I swear i've never cried for a book/film/videogame, but this game changed myself.
    poor gameplay, but the soundtrack and storyline are so amazing.

Hands down, the most beautiful and emotional love story EVER.
    An unbelievable masterpiece. try to believe
  23. Oct 20, 2013
    To the Moon does an amazing job telling a poignant, complex story without becoming convoluted. Music was absolutely fantastic, setting the mood and truly enhancing the dialogue. I cannot wait to play more from Freebird.
  24. Dec 7, 2013
    To the moon was an amazing game with a beautiful story and soundtrack. Despite the relatively weak and repetitive game play. Overall it is a absolutely fantastic game.
  25. nop
    Nov 16, 2013
    Rating of 11 should be reserved for games with story as masterfully crafted and written, as this one. Music is top notch too. Maybe some people will say "this is not game", and call it "low-tech interactive movie" or something like that, but who cares? It's still awesome.
  26. Sep 8, 2012
    Everything MarkDarkness says is absolutely true. I PERSONALLY felt the comedic relief was a little too much sometimes. Certainly not the best GAME I've ever played, it probably could have been done in movie form and had just as much of an emotional impact. All in all, it was very sad, and the soundtrack is definite fire.
  27. Sep 22, 2012
    Really enjoyable story and a very touching ending are the best words to descrive this piece of art. However, this is the issue I had at the start and probably some gamers are complaining or might complain: this isn't really a game, but a piece of art, and some people might not like this kind of "games", although it's mostly a "2 sided" fight which nobody will win and, personally, I don'tReally enjoyable story and a very touching ending are the best words to descrive this piece of art. However, this is the issue I had at the start and probably some gamers are complaining or might complain: this isn't really a game, but a piece of art, and some people might not like this kind of "games", although it's mostly a "2 sided" fight which nobody will win and, personally, I don't care who is right, as long as we enjoy the software, game or art that is. With that big detail, my biggest complains on the game are mostly three: dialogue, length, and replay value. Now, the game has a very well told story (minus some issues to understand), but I'm probably not alone when I say that the dialogue of the 2 characters, for the most part, are unnecessarily funny, and I mean unnecessary. Sometimes the characters tend to put on jokes on jokes that really won't make you laugh, but just facepalm thinking "this wasn't really needed". The problem here is that the unnecessary funny dialogue RUINS the atmosphere, which is very serious and sometimes even dark, and doesn't help at all, luckily the story hooks you in so you'll easily ignore those dialogues and focus on the plot. The length of the game also is very short, clocking in about 4-5 hours tops of gaming to reach the end...not a big deal if it wasn't that other games like this that can last much more (like visual novels). Also there isn't many puzzles (and a small action scene) in this game and that means that there aren't obstacles stopping you at all. This issue can be a big problem, especially when we can find flash games that lasts for double the time, but it's also unfair to compare games of different genres. Still, hope for some more length...especially when there's also issues with the replay value. Now, the game isn't costy, which means the cost won't stop people, but the game has almost no replay value because, unfortunely, there aren't many choices to do in the game: the story is EXTREMELY linear and, unless I'm wrong, there is no other ending. Add the 4-5 hour length, you'll easily get a good "game" but that probably won't be played again for a while, which is a pity because adventure games and story driven games (visual novels, again), have at least more than one ending, which gives us more longevity and more ways to experience a story. I'm still giving a 8 because not only it was a very touching game and a bitter yet sweet story, but also because the concept is "kinda" original and I can't wait to see this concept amplified and to see what other stories we will see like this. It's still a game to try and to enjoy despite everything: even with flaws, the rest of the game will easily make you enjoy the money spent, even for a short time: it's definitely a story to enjoy and I can't find a reason to avoid it or tell people to not play it, so... see you to the moon! Expand
  28. Jan 3, 2013
    This game moved me to tears. Once the climax starts and the entire story unfolds, you will feel for these video game characters like you never have before. The soundtrack pulls you into the story. This game reminds me of the great Chrono Trigger in some ways, and yet is all its own. The Characters are so beautifully written, you fall in love and never regret it. I haven't been thisThis game moved me to tears. Once the climax starts and the entire story unfolds, you will feel for these video game characters like you never have before. The soundtrack pulls you into the story. This game reminds me of the great Chrono Trigger in some ways, and yet is all its own. The Characters are so beautifully written, you fall in love and never regret it. I haven't been this emotionally invested in a game since Final Fantasy 7 with the Mass Effect franchise falling closely behind. I will eagerly await the sequel to this game. The gameplay only felt slow to me once, and very shortly at that. I believe that it fit into the game very nicely, it made it so you focused on your surroundings and does not draw away from the story at all. This game falls very nicely in the "games are art" category. Please do yourself a emotional favour and buy this game. I very much doubt you will regret it. Expand
  29. Nov 29, 2012
    This is by far one of the best games I've ever played. It's so deep and moving. It really can't be passed up. This isn't for everyone, as it's not really a "game." It's more of a beautiful interactive short story. It isn't too long and not too short. It clocks in at 4-5 hours, which really is perfect. To The Moon will stay with you for quite a while after you finish it. It tugs at yourThis is by far one of the best games I've ever played. It's so deep and moving. It really can't be passed up. This isn't for everyone, as it's not really a "game." It's more of a beautiful interactive short story. It isn't too long and not too short. It clocks in at 4-5 hours, which really is perfect. To The Moon will stay with you for quite a while after you finish it. It tugs at your heartstrings and never lets go til the end. I ended up crying myself to sleep the night I finished it, just from recalling the ending. It's THAT good. Do yourself a favor and pick this up right away. Expand
  30. May 28, 2012
    Beat it over a year ago. I still get emotional when I think about it. Such a beautiful game. A major studio with a $100 million dollar budget couldn't have done any better.
  31. Oct 1, 2012
    To The Moon is really **** good, very emotional and will keep you involved the entire way through as long as you're not some butt who doesn't think it has enough snipers of 360 noscopes. For a game all about sad, the banter between the protagonists is awesome. At first Neil seems like a nut and he's just there to be retarded, but you find out more about him too and he progressively takesTo The Moon is really **** good, very emotional and will keep you involved the entire way through as long as you're not some butt who doesn't think it has enough snipers of 360 noscopes. For a game all about sad, the banter between the protagonists is awesome. At first Neil seems like a nut and he's just there to be retarded, but you find out more about him too and he progressively takes his job more seriously, as Eva takes it less seriously. It all balances out in the end and I really enjoyed the plot twists. Shame it's so short, only about 4-5 hours. But I'd say it's worth it. Expand
  32. Dec 13, 2012
    This is a game/story that is well worth experiencing. I'm not a game snob and am not scoring this highly because it's the "in" thing to do. This is simply good. It has a story that makes you want to see it through. I got started today and couldn't stop playing until I got to the end. maybe 7-8 hours later. The interactivity with the characters has some surprising empathetic moments ofThis is a game/story that is well worth experiencing. I'm not a game snob and am not scoring this highly because it's the "in" thing to do. This is simply good. It has a story that makes you want to see it through. I got started today and couldn't stop playing until I got to the end. maybe 7-8 hours later. The interactivity with the characters has some surprising empathetic moments of game play - you might be surprised at your responses. The "horse" scene came closer to conveying "joy" in a game than anything I've seen. The music is especially on point in facilitating the story - and the story has complexity that keeps you pushing forward to unravel what's going on. I don't give many 8s, but this is very well done. Expand
  33. Feb 23, 2013
    Stories in most games are pretty much actions and adventures, but this game has the most lovely drama. This game will make you enjoy storyline instead of gaming experience. I guess it is what indie game is. I know graphic is old, that makes the game sorta lame in the beginning, but when you start to get in to the storyline, you will be watching a movie.
  34. Sep 8, 2012
    I had heard about this for a while and it just came out on Steam. This is not really a "game", it's more of an interactive story (or movie) and an absolutely brilliant one. Once I started playing I couldn't stop until it was over, I just HAD to see what was going to happen next. If you're considering getting this know that it will steal your heart and soul and may change the way youI had heard about this for a while and it just came out on Steam. This is not really a "game", it's more of an interactive story (or movie) and an absolutely brilliant one. Once I started playing I couldn't stop until it was over, I just HAD to see what was going to happen next. If you're considering getting this know that it will steal your heart and soul and may change the way you look at "games".

11/10 story wise, freakin amazing
    9/10 because there isn't much gameplay but perhaps it's better that way
  35. Jul 5, 2013
    Amazing, beautiful, brilliant. Riveting storyline. Very easy to become emotionally attached. Heart wrenching.

It takes a person who can appreciate art, who is not overly serious all the time. Some people might not consider it a 'game', because it plays more like older RPGs without the battle system (and just the town exploration/social stuff).
  36. Mar 12, 2013
    Brilliant narrative. Lately I have been getting sick of the go go go, kill kill kill games mixed with sparse storyline. This game is pretty much just story with small puzzles along the way. This game is definitely not aimed at those who are still in the young and invincible mindset, as the primary focus is on mortality and exploring the memories of one man throughout his life, so if youBrilliant narrative. Lately I have been getting sick of the go go go, kill kill kill games mixed with sparse storyline. This game is pretty much just story with small puzzles along the way. This game is definitely not aimed at those who are still in the young and invincible mindset, as the primary focus is on mortality and exploring the memories of one man throughout his life, so if you have not yet acknowledged the reality of death and the uncertain, tragic and beautiful nature of life, then they will not enjoy this game. Ignore the negative reviews, play it alone and with headphones late at night. I am not the type who cries often, but this title brought tears to my eyes at a few points and really makes you look at your own life, and your own memories of past and future. How everything was linked together was done in an incredible matter, especially the use of objects to tell a story in how things change, but yet some things always remain the same. Brilliant game, well written story. It's $2.99 on Steam, buy it and support the developers. Expand
  37. Dec 15, 2012
    Jesus this game was amazing. It was original, well written, the characters were like-able and relate-able, its soundtrack would add just the right feeling to the scene, adding to what the scene was already giving you... this game is just great. Aside from a few bugs that emerge from the games engine, such as getting stuck or accidentally getting glitched somewhere, this game is basicallyJesus this game was amazing. It was original, well written, the characters were like-able and relate-able, its soundtrack would add just the right feeling to the scene, adding to what the scene was already giving you... this game is just great. Aside from a few bugs that emerge from the games engine, such as getting stuck or accidentally getting glitched somewhere, this game is basically perfect in what it tries to do. I can't really say much more than that. Expand
  38. Mar 5, 2013
    It doesn't offer very much in terms of gameplay or graphics and it's not a very long game either, but the story telling is just amazing and very touching. There are very few games out there which manages to cause intense emotions like this game. This is perhaps the most valuable game I ever played.
  39. May 10, 2013
    Let me just preface this review by saying, I had never heard of this game nor was I fully prepared for what I was about to embark on.

Alright with that out of the way... This game is amazing, the story is by far the best aspect. Accompanied by the music and dialogue you have one of the best adventures you could possibly have in a video game. You're constantly enthralled, and the

Alright with that out of the way...

This game is amazing, the story is by far the best aspect. Accompanied by the music and dialogue you have one of the best adventures you could possibly have in a video game. You're constantly enthralled, and the simplistic game mechanics only lend your mind even further into what's going on in the story as opposed to the gameplay. Most people would think this would be a bad thing, simple game play and an emphasis on story. But if you're a true lover of a great epic such as this then you need to play this game. It has a perfect culmination of flowing storyline that will keep you guessing until the very end.

It can make you laugh, it can make you cry, and it can make you angry. Everything a good "Role Playing" game should be. Kudos Metacritic for showing me this amazing game. I will never forget it.
  40. Jul 12, 2013
    This game may not be fantastic in a graphic way, but it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL I haven't heard such an emotional and immersing story in a long time. The main characters are incredible. You play as two scientists who give dying people a last wish, Joey's wish is going to the moon, the two main characters have to accomplish that wish. You go into the mind of Joey and starts when he wasThis game may not be fantastic in a graphic way, but it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL I haven't heard such an emotional and immersing story in a long time. The main characters are incredible. You play as two scientists who give dying people a last wish, Joey's wish is going to the moon, the two main characters have to accomplish that wish. You go into the mind of Joey and starts when he was around 50 and it ends when he was 5. During the story you go taking objects that all have a relationship with his memories, discovering his mysteries, the main reason of his wish of going to the moon, his family problems, and what has to change in his memories so he could go to the moon.

The controls are pretty obnoxious, you control the game with both keyboard and mouse, but instead of using the "WASD" keys, you use the arrows, and it makes you be in weird uncomfortable position. The puzzles aren't challenging, point and click.

The OST is one of the most beautiful i have ever heard, it has a really deep, sad piano music, that go just in the right moment when its most needed, which make this game more engaging.
  41. Aug 11, 2013
    Best game I have played in a very long time! It connects with the player and shares a bond with the player in the game, and is exciting and funny and sad, its a must.
  42. Oct 28, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic story that will likely remain with me forever. Beautiful music, witty dialogue, well-crafted story. You simply must experience this. One day I'd like to see this adapted into a book or movie.
  43. Oct 22, 2013
    If you are looking for an emotional story, nice pictured but not that deep characters and a story that keeps you guessing till the end look no further. This game has it all.
    Yet there are some aspects you should know before starting this. It is more like reading a novel then actually playing a game. The few gameplay parts are pretty standard and repetitive Sequences where you are looking for pieces of memories that will let you continue in the story. Which means you are running around ingame trying to interact with every object there is which is maybe the weakest part of the game.

Yet the story is just brilliant. Exploring the life of a person and finding out which events lead to other events is just so much fun.

At the end this game left me with a deep sense of satisfaction and some sadness as the story finally unwinds.

In my opinion this is a must play.
  44. Nov 2, 2013
    A pixelated game that can make you cry is saying something. This game had phenomenal music and story. So much more than you would expect. Highly recommended for anyone who likes very story centered games.
  45. Nov 20, 2013
    Sometimes a novel, movie or tv show resonate on such a personal level. Not everyone will have the same experience with the same pieces, but I imagine most people can name a small handful of their own. "To the Moon" is certainly in that handful for me. An interactive story with some minor puzzle/game pieces and a fantastic original soundtrack, the characters' history is revealed slowly,Sometimes a novel, movie or tv show resonate on such a personal level. Not everyone will have the same experience with the same pieces, but I imagine most people can name a small handful of their own. "To the Moon" is certainly in that handful for me. An interactive story with some minor puzzle/game pieces and a fantastic original soundtrack, the characters' history is revealed slowly, building into major inflection points. Things that initially seem silly become critical and emotional.

It is hard to praise this game enough without either seeming platitudinous or spoiling the things that make it great.
  46. Dec 23, 2013
    Seeing this outranked by things like "Gone Home" just doesn't make me want to live on this planet anymore.
    This masterpiece is the greatest video game love story ever told, and you will cry. End of story.
  47. Dec 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In To The Moon you are very much the vessel for a wonderful storyline that may border line on cliché in parts but with the soundtrack setting the backdrop on rather simple yet elegant graphics, I couldn't care less. The story really delivers this powerful story perfectly in my opinion and as a whole it may be one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played purely based on the way it made me feel throughout the entire storyline. If I am looking for more action based games or with more to do this is not a game to play, but if you want a great story above all else this is the game for you. The game delivers many moments of sheer brilliance, my favourite of which may be one that doesn't strike much for many in when Jonny plays his wife the song "For River"... I can't help but give this game the full 10/10 as for me its one of the greatest games I've ever played. Expand
  48. Dec 4, 2016
    Ilyen érzelmeket ritkán vált ki az emberből egy RPG Makerrel készített játék, mint amit a To the Moon váltott ki belőlem. Fantasztikus történet, a szerelem olyan szintű megjelenítése, amihez foghatót játékban ritkán látni és... Egyszerűen szavakkal nem tudom leírni, hogy milyen csodálatos élménnyel gazdagodtam, mikor befejeztem a játékot.
  49. Nov 26, 2011
    I am 26 years old, and in a gaming world well to be truthful, its a lot. So I often find myself felling not to thrilled about a lot of games cause lot of them are essentially the same thing but with much better cosmetics. So I decided to try something radically different and TTM looked interesting. But before everything else I wanted to play something that has SUBSTANCE! And TTM deliversI am 26 years old, and in a gaming world well to be truthful, its a lot. So I often find myself felling not to thrilled about a lot of games cause lot of them are essentially the same thing but with much better cosmetics. So I decided to try something radically different and TTM looked interesting. But before everything else I wanted to play something that has SUBSTANCE! And TTM delivers just that. Nice concept, dialog between characters is extraordinary funny. Main story line has depth and is meaningful. Soundtrack blends with main story into a masterpiece. This game is a proof that going back does not mean devolving, but rather picking up some long forgotten elements that not many new games have and building on it a new experiences for gamers. Thank you Freebird! Expand
  50. Feb 9, 2013
    Perhaps it's only as you get older that this game resonates so much. Do you risk messing with loving memories, even if it's to get rid of painful ones. Lovely story, brought tears to the eyes.
  51. Dec 22, 2011
    To the Moon was mentioned on a podcast I was listening to and the person explained the premise a bit about doctors going into a dying mans mind to give him his last wish of going to the moon. It was not a very in depth explanation, but for some reason I can't explain I knew I had to experience this game. When I finally purchased it and launched the game the extremely beautiful theme songTo the Moon was mentioned on a podcast I was listening to and the person explained the premise a bit about doctors going into a dying mans mind to give him his last wish of going to the moon. It was not a very in depth explanation, but for some reason I can't explain I knew I had to experience this game. When I finally purchased it and launched the game the extremely beautiful theme song started playing and I knew I was in for something special. There is not much game play but it really doesn't need much the story and the music are the stars of the show. You might ask yourself why does it need to be a game then. It's because the 16 bit graphics adds to the charm of the characters that might not be there if it was any other way. It's also a tribute to how well the writing is that so much emotion can be conveyed through these 16 bit sprites. If you appreciate story or music in any way shape or form you owe it to yourself to experience this masterpiece. Expand
  52. Aug 22, 2013
    This game holds a special place in my heart. This is one of those games that is truly unique. There are no points or lives or enemies to battle. It's a game driven purely by the storyline. And the story is both interesting and well-told. I can't remember if I cried when I played this game the first time, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think another reviewer said it best whenThis game holds a special place in my heart. This is one of those games that is truly unique. There are no points or lives or enemies to battle. It's a game driven purely by the storyline. And the story is both interesting and well-told. I can't remember if I cried when I played this game the first time, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think another reviewer said it best when describing this game, "I can't tell you what makes this game so great without spoiling it." This game isn't for everyone. You have to value storyline over button-mashing, and you probably have to be an adult to appreciate the themes addressed in the story. A truly remarkable game. PS the music is awesome. Expand
  53. Nov 27, 2011
    This is a beautiful game, the soundtrack backs the story perfectly. The game is around 4 hours long and will make you laugh and cry without relying on cheap plays.
    Ive recommended this game to everyone I know, and everyone has enjoyed it so far.
    Play this game.
  54. Nov 28, 2011
    This game is short, you can finish it in about three hours. This game looks old, with a visual style resembling the SNES era. If these aspects drive you away from this game, you sir are a fool. This game has one of the most compelling and heart-breaking stories in recent gaming history, backed up by a superb soundtrack that fits every scene perfectly. The gameplay is very simple, but thisThis game is short, you can finish it in about three hours. This game looks old, with a visual style resembling the SNES era. If these aspects drive you away from this game, you sir are a fool. This game has one of the most compelling and heart-breaking stories in recent gaming history, backed up by a superb soundtrack that fits every scene perfectly. The gameplay is very simple, but this is by no means a dealbreaker. I've been playing games since 1994, and as you can imagine I've played tons of PC games. And this is the first and only game that has made me cry. No kidding. Play this now. Expand
  55. Nov 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely fantastic game, it was the first time I cry in a game. Freebird Games show us again their capacity to make games that really touch with a simple, but brilliant game, with deep and unforgettable characters. Expand
  56. Sep 12, 2012
    This game is beyond brilliant. It is not really a game but more so a game/movie/book. Play for a lovely story and you will be beyond satisfied. It is easily one of the most powerful stories I've ever experienced.
  57. Oct 17, 2012
    Calling this a game is a wroong, this is an expriance. I have never felt like this playing a game in my life. If you want something diffrant, soulfull and powerfull this is the game. If you are action man youll be bored out of yuore mind.

This is the most intresting interligent game i have ever played. Pure love.
  58. Nov 24, 2011
    To the Moon is one of those rare game that doesn't have much game-play but everything else about it make it a touching game. In some sense it remind me of Bastion except the game-play is a mixed of classic game that was minimized so that you can enjoy the story and music. Overall for a game that barely cost anything, and will support autism this game is a must buy for those who is fond ofTo the Moon is one of those rare game that doesn't have much game-play but everything else about it make it a touching game. In some sense it remind me of Bastion except the game-play is a mixed of classic game that was minimized so that you can enjoy the story and music. Overall for a game that barely cost anything, and will support autism this game is a must buy for those who is fond of a good story but be warn as this game is not that long and will make you cry, for those emotional people, and to some it will be boring. Expand
  59. Nov 23, 2012
    This is not really a game, it's more of an interactive story. That being said, it's the best interactive story I've ever played. It has the benefits of a movie (the sights and sounds help draw you into the experience) combined with the benefits of a book (doesn't have to be over in 100 minutes, so you get lots of extra character development and storyline). As a book, I probably wouldThis is not really a game, it's more of an interactive story. That being said, it's the best interactive story I've ever played. It has the benefits of a movie (the sights and sounds help draw you into the experience) combined with the benefits of a book (doesn't have to be over in 100 minutes, so you get lots of extra character development and storyline). As a book, I probably would have given this about a 7 out of 10, but they did the "interactive" part so well (it draws you in rather than getting in the way) that if you enjoyed the story even a little, you really can't give it anything other than a 10/10. Expand
  60. Dec 13, 2011
    I've never given a 10 to anything before, solely for the reason that no game is ever perfect...
    This game is as close to perfect as you could ever get. The graphics may be old style, but they didn't need them to tell a phenomenal story. This game had me crying from both joy, laughter and sadness. No game, book or movie has ever done that to me before. Easily my favorite game of all time. Amazing soundtrack too. I loved this game so much - I can't say it enough.
  61. Nov 27, 2011
    There are a lot of games out there--and I'm talking about professionally-developed games, put out by big-name studios--that don't live up to the title "work of art." To The Moon is not one of those games. This game transcends "work of art," supersedes "classic," and sits somewhere up there in the realm of "masterpiece." And it does it all without relying on any of the gimmicks or tricksThere are a lot of games out there--and I'm talking about professionally-developed games, put out by big-name studios--that don't live up to the title "work of art." To The Moon is not one of those games. This game transcends "work of art," supersedes "classic," and sits somewhere up there in the realm of "masterpiece." And it does it all without relying on any of the gimmicks or tricks the you see a lot of games get by on nowadays. Sixteen-bit graphics. No stat system. No equipment system. No combat. No player death. There is nothing to distract you from what this game is really about: One of the best stories I've ever read.
    To The Moon is the story of two doctors who set out to fulfill an old man's dying wish by changing his memories. Through his mind, they embark on a journey that spans a lifetime, stepping backward through the years from old age to childhood to discover why their patient wants so badly to go to the moon.
    With breathtaking visuals and a moving musical score, this game is practically guaranteed to put a tear in your eye. This is why I play RPGs. For games like this.
  62. Dec 4, 2011
    Excellent game! This game will make you cry and it will make you re-think your actions in life. I highly recommend this game.A+++ from me. Looking forward to more games from this developer
  63. Nov 8, 2011
    To the Moon is a game that attempts to merge story-telling and game-play. Often one gets the impression that the developer included only as much game-play as could be included without holding back the story in some way. Typically this would not be forgivable for the medium, but the game-play that is present is integrated well and in service of an amazing story. The story is told throughTo the Moon is a game that attempts to merge story-telling and game-play. Often one gets the impression that the developer included only as much game-play as could be included without holding back the story in some way. Typically this would not be forgivable for the medium, but the game-play that is present is integrated well and in service of an amazing story. The story is told through sometimes funny, sometimes poignant dialogue that combines with simple, yet effective graphics techniques and some of the most memorable and touching music I've experienced in games. The way that the story is told and the plot threads are tied together made my 5 hour play-through feel meaningful in a way that no other games do, it felt like it enriched my life. With stronger game-play components that maintain the level of story-telling future incarnations in this series can take adventure games to the next level. Expand
  64. Dec 11, 2011
    Ah...... A trip down the memory lane. Don't get fooled by the cartoonish-retro looking graphics. This game has the BEST STORY of 2011..... hands down. The soundtracks are on per with the likes of Skyrim and Shadow of Colossus. After finishing the game you will pause for a moment and think about your own life and your own past and future....... guaranteed. This 4-5 hours of game deservesAh...... A trip down the memory lane. Don't get fooled by the cartoonish-retro looking graphics. This game has the BEST STORY of 2011..... hands down. The soundtracks are on per with the likes of Skyrim and Shadow of Colossus. After finishing the game you will pause for a moment and think about your own life and your own past and future....... guaranteed. This 4-5 hours of game deserves every penny of the 12$ price tag. Expand
  65. Feb 18, 2012
    I utterly love this game. Graphic reminds me of good old times (dunno why people complain about it) sound design is a masterpiece - I will never forget this feeling during hmm "warning" parts and main theme piano is mesmerizing as well. But what makes this game unique is story, a really touching love story. There's also lots of humour in the dialogues which even make everything moreI utterly love this game. Graphic reminds me of good old times (dunno why people complain about it) sound design is a masterpiece - I will never forget this feeling during hmm "warning" parts and main theme piano is mesmerizing as well. But what makes this game unique is story, a really touching love story. There's also lots of humour in the dialogues which even make everything more realistic as even drama is not all about drama, is it? Oh and HIMYM reference was great, didn't expect to see something like that in a here :) Expand
  66. Nov 25, 2011
    This game deserves Oscar. You just must play it, if you love good books/movies. Whole game toke about 5 hours. But the emotions were priceless. I just could not resist to not shed a tear.
  67. Nov 26, 2011
    A true Masterpiece that deserves to be played by everyone that REALLY likes a good history, a good piano soundtrack and some tears; A blast of a game.
  68. Feb 27, 2012
    One of the most ambitious stories in gaming. In fact, if this was a film I can imagine it being "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" kind of great. Yes, it looks like a snes game. Yes the gameplay is poor at best. And yes, I give this a 10/10 purely on it's ambition. Which consumes and overwhelms everything around it. Negatives be damned, this is a masterwork. A private, intimate, masterwork.
  69. Nov 26, 2011
    To the Moon is a fantastic game that tells a story that really sticks to you. The game lacks in any real game play elements but makes up in an engaging story. The idea is that a company comes to you on your death bed and makes your one dream come true within your memories. In order for them to do that they must follow your memories back as far as they can seeing many major events thatTo the Moon is a fantastic game that tells a story that really sticks to you. The game lacks in any real game play elements but makes up in an engaging story. The idea is that a company comes to you on your death bed and makes your one dream come true within your memories. In order for them to do that they must follow your memories back as far as they can seeing many major events that occur in ones life. The events are what really pull you in and make for an extremely emotional tale. The random comedy tossed in really helps keep a sad story up-beat but comes to a very good ending. This no name indie title is worth your time and money, and I am looking forward to the next one. Expand
  70. Nov 28, 2011
    I am not a huge fan of video games, I'll admit it.
    My boyfriend made me play this game with him yesterday. The game play feels more like you are in a movie with no fighting or side tasks or straying from what you are supposed to do.
    I am not a huge fan of video games, I'll admit it.
    But that is the magic of the game. The dialogue is entirely amusing form the get-go. I thought the story was lame at first; I cracked so many jokes at the main character's wife. As the story became clearer and clearer my cynicism escaped me. At the end I was bawling like baby for a good twenty minutes.

The music is incredible and the pixelated scenery is rich in colors. The combination of those two things and the story line will have you hooked.
  71. Dec 5, 2011
    Best story-driven RPG that I have played in a long time. Excellent score. It made me laugh and cry. My only complaint would be that it's too short 10/10
  72. Aug 1, 2013
    To me, a game, a book, a piece of music, or a movie they are all the same. Although technically different, they are nevertheless products of the human creativity. We can create and enjoy it however we want it to be. If I were blind, a book to me is not much different from a song: they are just thoughts and emotions brought to the inside my mind. If I can play a game that its song is soTo me, a game, a book, a piece of music, or a movie they are all the same. Although technically different, they are nevertheless products of the human creativity. We can create and enjoy it however we want it to be. If I were blind, a book to me is not much different from a song: they are just thoughts and emotions brought to the inside my mind. If I can play a game that its song is so beautiful and its story is fascinating, that it makes me a better person, despite the boring game-play, or a 90s-graphic, I would still give it a 10/10. That's what I think of To The Moon. Expand
  73. Dec 19, 2011
    To The Moon has the most heart-breakingly sad/happy ending in any game, ever. No game I have ever played has came close to matching the story here, it is simply superb. There is very little gameplay in the game, but the little there is you want out of the way as quickly as possible so as to get back to the story. I've been touched for life by this game.
  74. Feb 25, 2012
    Any game that someone calls a '10' should be a superb experience that offers something truly unique and breathtaking, and To the Moon does just that. The story is a heartwrenchingly beautiful tale that feels as though it was lovingly hand crafted. The music is breathtaking, and invokes emotions from tears to genuine dread. To the Moon is a story that i've never really seen told before,Any game that someone calls a '10' should be a superb experience that offers something truly unique and breathtaking, and To the Moon does just that. The story is a heartwrenchingly beautiful tale that feels as though it was lovingly hand crafted. The music is breathtaking, and invokes emotions from tears to genuine dread. To the Moon is a story that i've never really seen told before, it's themes have been used, but not in the way that this game uses them. An amazing experience, one that all should partake in. Expand
  75. Sep 15, 2013
    The best indie game for me.
    I love this oldschool-graphic game. I love this story very much and I hope that Freebird Games will make second chapter soon.
  76. Nov 30, 2011
    It was just by chance that I saw this game and gave it a try, and believe me it was well worth the investment. I have never experienced a video game of with this caliber of story telling since Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. With that said the game is very basic where there is really nothing complicated or confusing about it which allowed me to follow the whole story from start to end. TheIt was just by chance that I saw this game and gave it a try, and believe me it was well worth the investment. I have never experienced a video game of with this caliber of story telling since Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. With that said the game is very basic where there is really nothing complicated or confusing about it which allowed me to follow the whole story from start to end. The 16-bit sprites seem to have been the best fit for this game as I could not see this game using 3D polygons and what not. This is a very charming game that I would love seen made into an anime or live action movie. This game will tug on your heartstrings all the way through. Expand
  77. Nov 24, 2012
    To The Moon fits fairly well into the genre of a Visual Novel - aside from the plot, it doesn't offer too much in the way of gameplay. However, the story alone is well worth the price-tag - if you're willing to shell out 12 bucks for a 2-hour movie at the theaters (or 20 for a DVD/Blu-Ray), do yourself a favor and get this game. But be warned - it will, most likely, cause you to breakTo The Moon fits fairly well into the genre of a Visual Novel - aside from the plot, it doesn't offer too much in the way of gameplay. However, the story alone is well worth the price-tag - if you're willing to shell out 12 bucks for a 2-hour movie at the theaters (or 20 for a DVD/Blu-Ray), do yourself a favor and get this game. But be warned - it will, most likely, cause you to break down into tears at some point. For me, that moment was when you do finally find out why the old man, Johnny, wanted to go to the moon to begin with. The moments after that were more of a denouement after that emotional high-point, but seeing as I've spent the past day mulling over that moment... well, suffice to say that it works. Expand
  78. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a bit late to the party, but I just recently 'beat' the game and thought it was great overall. I do have some (hopefully) constructive criticism to share in hopes to make it, or the next episode, an even better game:

• The music was, imo, stellar and was the driving force of the game. I can't even listen to any of the songs without getting all misty eyed and I'm not ashamed to say it. ^_^ So please keep that the main focus!

• The humor was a welcome surprise and really helped give contrast to the game so you weren't just constantly having your heart strings pulled to exhaustion. Please consider that balance for the next episode but I encourage the developer to include more 'mainstream' references for the non-gamers who will inevitably play your game.

• The pacing of the story and revealing of key plot points was done rather successfully, but I had hoped there was some additional information for those who seek it. Not story line essential info but 'extracurricular' information for the ones who were curious about various details. Maybe further flesh-out characters with optional details that are not important to the story line as long as it didn't risk muddling the flow of the main story.

• The ending wasn't obvious (thank you) and was one of the most bitter-sweet I've experienced. But I admit that the 'action sequence' near the end (with the zombies) felt out of place when juxtaposed with the rest of the game. I guess you could say it felt a bit rushed, I felt that too much was happening 'behind the scenes' to get to the ending and should have had a bit more player interaction (with the story line itself, not zombies).

• The game was categorized as a 'Role-playing game', which I realize nearly every game you 'play' a 'role' in the 'game', but most gamers were expecting a bit of what was joked at (final fantasy style battles). To The Moon was more of an interactive story that, frankly, I'd love to see be made into a feature-length movie to both expose more people to this wonderful story but also raise awareness about autism and other personality effecting disorders.

• The game-play was perhaps it's 'weakest link'. I understand there's only so much that can be done but I did find myself a bit frustrated in a couple points of the game. Finding some of the clues/memory-links felt a bit tedious, maybe adding a visual cue (a glow or sparkle) would help, or incorporate it into the story by adding an in-game 'scan' option that the main characters have access to (while they're in someone's thoughts) that the player can choose to use if they want to.

• The 'flip puzzles' were both difficult and easy. Some were painfully obvious, others I just got lucky. An effort was made to point out the "ideal" number of moves but the puzzles lacked some sort of reset button if you messed up, and was there wasn't any obvious benefit or prize for actually figuring out the puzzles within the ideal range anyways. The 'overall' counter seemed like the only score in the game, yet it was quickly forgotten about near the end of the game. I think these puzzles should have been optional for those who aren't keen on puzzle games, which brings me to my last point...

• The difficulty of the game, while subjective to everyone, seemed to be all over the map. The casual point-and-click stuff was obviously very easy, the puzzles were hard, the (only) action scene near the end of the game could be very difficult for non-gamers, etc. I would suggest to add in difficulty options, ranging from "Tell me a story..." which automates the action sequences and removes the flip puzzles (leaving only the point-and-click stuff), to some sort of a 'hardcore mode' that turns up the difficulty on the puzzles, etc. (for those who like a challenge)

• The graphics may be a turn-off to some, and while those people may be somewhat shallow for judging a book by it's cover, it would be a good investment to try and improve on them a bit. Personally I enjoyed the 16-bit style but I'm also over 30 years old and grew up on SNES games. I liked how the lack of detail allowed people to, more or less, imagine what the main characters looked like so it was more to their ideals. Perhaps they even linked the likeness of the characters to people they know in their actual lives. So while better graphics would be a boon to the game overall (especially in inspiring interest probably more sales) don't let it get in the way of other more important things, like the story music.

Thanks for reading.
  79. Jan 31, 2012
    This game is almost entirely story based. The style reminds me a bit of the Longest Journey, amazing story, amazing music, minimalist gameplay to progress the experience. It's a movie with one further step into immersion.

Oh, and it's like being punched in the heart by a lumberjack.
  80. Mar 15, 2012
    Great writing, great story, great music. At times it's a little bit unclear what you're supposed to be doing, and this leads to more trial-and-error item hunting than I would like, but it's a relatively minor complaint about an otherwise beautiful game.
  81. Mar 25, 2012
    I always feel compelled to write something on metacritic when I really enjoyed a game. The indie scene has just been amazing. Dear Esther and now 'To the Moon'. It's a mushy love story that you can't help but become involved - interactive fiction at it's best. This 'game' will not leave you feeling flat once completed. Very uplifting, definitely a 10 in my books :)
  82. Apr 12, 2012
    This little game is a nice change from what I'm used to. It's hard to really call it a game as there is very little interactivity at all, but with a story like this it held my attention. The story is both sad and happy throughout the game play till the very end. The complexity of the story and what happens really made me stand back and consider my values. Not usually being a fan of indieThis little game is a nice change from what I'm used to. It's hard to really call it a game as there is very little interactivity at all, but with a story like this it held my attention. The story is both sad and happy throughout the game play till the very end. The complexity of the story and what happens really made me stand back and consider my values. Not usually being a fan of indie titles I was considering giving this an 8.. but seeing that its probably the best indie game I've played it deserves at least a 9. Expand
  83. Mar 24, 2012
    Excelente juego, es como la vida misma, dejando de lado los gráficos, es inmerso, atrapante, y te da que pensar, quizás el hecho de tener cutres gráficos, sea lo que te concentre totalmente en la historia, y en las distintas disyuntivas por las que atravesamos a lo largo de la vida.
  84. Nov 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've only played it for one hour. That was enough. The evil people behind this game hooked me with this simple game and I will now have to buy it. Shame on you for the great soundtrack and well designed story. - POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT --
    If you liked Inception (the movie, yes) you may find the premise of the story related to it but do not let this review put you off if you didn't like or didn't watch that movie. Now, to find my credit card...
  85. Nov 27, 2011
    I have played very few indie games that are worth a try like big time titles like Mass Effect, The Legend of Zelda, or Grand Theft Auto. To The Moon is definitely a MUST BUY! This indie title consists of a four hour adventure that takes you through the mind of an old man named Johnny. You live through his life all over again and experience his hardships through life and why he would likeI have played very few indie games that are worth a try like big time titles like Mass Effect, The Legend of Zelda, or Grand Theft Auto. To The Moon is definitely a MUST BUY! This indie title consists of a four hour adventure that takes you through the mind of an old man named Johnny. You live through his life all over again and experience his hardships through life and why he would like to go to the moon. It's one of the most emotional experiences you will find in any title on the market. The game play is not very innovative but is used well with the story but the soundtrack and story make up for that. The soundtrack is one of the best I've heard this year. (Props to the creators for getting Laura Shigihara for working on this project) To The Moon is worth playing and is up there with titles like Limbo. I wouldn't be surprised if you see it come to Steam, XBLA, or PSN in the near future. Spend that $11 in your pocket right now because this is a masterpiece you rarely see these days. Expand
  86. Nov 28, 2011
    This has to be one of the best stories i have ever heard/seen. I am a 22 years old man and i have not cried since i was 9 but this game managed to steal a couple of tears from me. The music count for 50% of the feelings it causes. Great game.
  87. Dec 1, 2011
    Yet more proof that the best games on the market are found in the indie section. To the Moon has, I dare say, probably the best written story of all games in existence and it's not about saving or even changing the world. Accompanied with a beautiful piano soundtrack, you will be led through the life of a dying man who has one last wish: to go to the moon. You play as two doctors, Eva andYet more proof that the best games on the market are found in the indie section. To the Moon has, I dare say, probably the best written story of all games in existence and it's not about saving or even changing the world. Accompanied with a beautiful piano soundtrack, you will be led through the life of a dying man who has one last wish: to go to the moon. You play as two doctors, Eva and Neil, that set out on a mission to make his wish come true, though only in his mind. Eva and Neil make a very interesting pair, being extremely funny when they can be and serious when they need to be. It's unbelievable that in this day and age of high-tech graphics, To The Moon can convey so much feeling through so few pixels. It plays like a point-and-click game and can be controlled completely with the mouse, but this is not recommended. The only slight downside about the game is that some of the puzzles feel unnecessary and flow-breaking. Still, this is just nit-picking. â Expand
  88. Dec 29, 2011
    I've registered to metacritic to give this game a 10. Who would've thought that a 16-bit game can touch you so deep ? The thing about this game is that you don't really play it, you discover it and go along the story.
  89. Jan 1, 2012
    A spectacular piece of media. Can't really call it a game, it's much better than that. It breaks the boundaries. A strong story proves that great graphics simply aren't needed - I'm pretty sure I have never been moved to tears by anything resembling 16-bit graphics, this is certainly the first time. Zero bugs or quirks, the app ran perfectly start to finish in a single sitting (whichA spectacular piece of media. Can't really call it a game, it's much better than that. It breaks the boundaries. A strong story proves that great graphics simply aren't needed - I'm pretty sure I have never been moved to tears by anything resembling 16-bit graphics, this is certainly the first time. Zero bugs or quirks, the app ran perfectly start to finish in a single sitting (which took around 5-6 hours, with some RL distractions in there). The pacing is great, the puzzles are not a distraction - the first two or three might be a little difficult, but quickly your brain will become accustomed and you will see solutions before even starting, allowing you to proceed to the story without wanting to shut down the game and come back later due to a difficult puzzle obstacle. The puzzles just help you to feel like you're involved somehow, just the right amount for a story like this. They're such a small part of the game, it's better to really look at this as a digital story told using game mechanics. You should not pass this by. Expand
  90. Jan 8, 2012
    I registered an account just o give this game a 10. Rarely a game can touch your heart in such a way. It's a game with little gameplay but very good story and music. If you have been playing Skyrim or WoW like me, why not take a break and play this indie game, you will certainly not be disappointed.
  91. Jan 13, 2012
    So perfected and blissful to play. The game had me hooked with the opening song. It is about a 4 hour experience, and it plays backwards through a man's memories. It is the most gut-wrenching and beautiful story that I have ever heard in my life. It is about death, love, regrets, nostalgia, and secrets. I bawled like a 1 year old throwing a tantrum.... twice. The rest of the time ISo perfected and blissful to play. The game had me hooked with the opening song. It is about a 4 hour experience, and it plays backwards through a man's memories. It is the most gut-wrenching and beautiful story that I have ever heard in my life. It is about death, love, regrets, nostalgia, and secrets. I bawled like a 1 year old throwing a tantrum.... twice. The rest of the time I was either holding back tears or laughter. The humor is genuine and good, and the beautiful sadness touches you in ways no movie or game ever has before. Expand
  92. Feb 15, 2012
    Absolutely a hidden gem. To The Moon does more than tell a story it brings you emotionally into the game. For anyone that has children beware it made me ultra sad!
  93. Feb 19, 2012
    Without a doubt a great experience if you like the storytelling of the old rpg's from the Nintendo golden age like Final Fantasy Adventure / Mystic Quest.

This came clearly has a very simple gameplay. You just search for objects, click on them, solve a picture with moving tiles and move on. So it's more like an interactive movie.The funny thing is that this was something that was absolutely ok for me and the reason is the storytelling.

This came has such a beautiful, well told story. It is very interesting to follow the clues, think about motives and than realize what's behind all this. It's also quite moving. The music is good and fits into the game perfectly. I also think that one of the advantages of this game is the play time of about 5 hours. I don't need games which I can play for 50 hours. I need games which trigger emotions and where i can follow the story easily and do not listen to lots of dialogue which is not important after all.

The game is getting a little bit of track in the end and there are some "action sequences" which were not necessary, but in the end it was worth playing and worth the money. I still think a lot about some of the situations and actions of the main character and his wife. After all this game is a full recommendation for grown up gamers who just want to experience a great story. A story which would be perfect for a movie. Play it.
  94. Mar 11, 2012
    excellent game - great story aided by laura shigihara's even greater musical score (as well as music from the creator as well). the story was interesting and gripping, the only real negative was the limiting engine, however the graphics were nicely suited.
    it's going to be difficult for the sequel to continue such a quality plot.
  95. Feb 9, 2013
    When I booted up this game I had high expectations because of reviews. It started off really well with beautiful music playing in the menu. However, because of the terrible controls and movement combined with annoying and unnecessary puzzles and weird sense of humour, I was soon apt to quit the game. But I persisted and it was well worth it. The game does an outstanding job of pullingWhen I booted up this game I had high expectations because of reviews. It started off really well with beautiful music playing in the menu. However, because of the terrible controls and movement combined with annoying and unnecessary puzzles and weird sense of humour, I was soon apt to quit the game. But I persisted and it was well worth it. The game does an outstanding job of pulling you in, empathise with the characters and feel all kinds of emotions. I couldn't stop playing, had to finish the game in one sitting. The writer knows how to emphasize small things and make them stand out in emotional importance. Expand
  96. Apr 1, 2012
    Freebirds has created a small gem. To The Moon is a work of adult and touching able to thrill as only a good book is capable of doing. However, because of it, presents a unique and linear that sometimes leaves more space to the plot than the phases of the game, so make the most of passive readers to active players. So if you are looking for a dynamic and interactive way, you should lookFreebirds has created a small gem. To The Moon is a work of adult and touching able to thrill as only a good book is capable of doing. However, because of it, presents a unique and linear that sometimes leaves more space to the plot than the phases of the game, so make the most of passive readers to active players. So if you are looking for a dynamic and interactive way, you should look the other way, but if you want a story full of emotions, accompanied by an excellent soundtrack and you're willing to accept some compromises in terms of gameplay, then it you can certainly leave it to escape. Expand
  97. Jan 20, 2013
    I absolutely love this game. Fantastic Storytelling, an emotional plot. This is one of the few games I would classify as "perfect". As in I couldn't find any flaws with this game. For 10 dollars you could do a whole lot worse.
  98. Dec 1, 2012
    I've heard of this game from a friend who had already finished it so i bought it. At the beginning the lack of voice over was very awful but after the first 20 minutes of playing the story just begun to be awesome and i couldn't stop playing so i finished it in one time... the game lasts about 4 hours and I've been crying for 2 of them... surely one of the best stories i have everI've heard of this game from a friend who had already finished it so i bought it. At the beginning the lack of voice over was very awful but after the first 20 minutes of playing the story just begun to be awesome and i couldn't stop playing so i finished it in one time... the game lasts about 4 hours and I've been crying for 2 of them... surely one of the best stories i have ever read/played/heard of Expand
  99. Nov 23, 2012
    An amazing little indie game that cuts down on gameplay in favour of a beautiful, memorable and touching storyline, I even found myself tearing up in certain scenes with the help of the top-notch soundtrack, and i'm the type of guy that cries probably once or twice a century. If you get this game make sure you play through the entire game before making your judgement, it's well worth it,An amazing little indie game that cuts down on gameplay in favour of a beautiful, memorable and touching storyline, I even found myself tearing up in certain scenes with the help of the top-notch soundtrack, and i'm the type of guy that cries probably once or twice a century. If you get this game make sure you play through the entire game before making your judgement, it's well worth it, and IMHO better than the majority of movies released nowadays. beautiful beautiful beautiful! Expand
  100. Nov 28, 2013
    Its much better then I ever expected. I expected some kind of asian RPG game. But its a great story, told by the tools of an old RPG like game. I couldnt stop playing it untill I finished it. Its a real treasure, I would really miss the experiance if I never bought that game.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 26 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 27, 2012
    To The Moon is one of those games you instantly fall in love with. With it's simple, but elegant design, incredible writing, and thrilling, heartfelt tale, To The Moon is more story than game, but what a story it is.
  2. Oct 23, 2012
    To The Moon's charming sense of humor and unabashed ease with tossing around pop culture references (from Dr. Who and Animorphs down to Dragon Ball Z) kept the serious, and at times quite gloomy overtones from feeling too self-serious. And so, with John and River's tale being told, restructured and sent to the moon in a heartfelt and memorable way; I am able to walk away from To The Moon satisfied, and looking forward to the next installment in this world.
  3. Sep 3, 2012
    If you're into having your tears tugged at, this will definitely be a change from nights spent curling up on the couch spectating those romance flicks that no one else gets. If you're someone who winds up stuck with the aforementioned individual, originally promised beer and tricked into the awkward Kleenex duty, no guilt will be harbored from missing out.