• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Aug 15, 2012
6.5

1. Sep 7, 2012
    This is a game with a STEEP learning curve. GR:O is almost completely reliant on tactical game-play, teamwork, and unit-cohesion to win games. Currently in open beta at the time of this review, Ubisoft is doing a fantastic job moving Ghost Recon: Online in the correct direction.

This game is DEFINITELY worth a try, especially given it's a free to play game. Most players will attempt it, not understand it, and get frustrated. It's not your typical CoD knock-off shooter, and takes some adaptation and patience to really be competitive in-game.
  2. Jun 17, 2014
    tl;dr: Gameplay+Meta is awesome, economy/progression+bugs/glitches are terrible.

I've played Ghost Recon Phantoms (originally Ghost Recon Online) since the closed alpha days. And believe you me, it's hooked me. It's still one of my favorite games to play, but that's mostly just because I know a decent amount of the veteran playerbase, and I've been able to accumulate my gear before the economy went all to heck midway through open beta. I'll start off with the positives, which are the only reasons why I'm giving this anything more than a 1.

First off, the game is highly technical. I've been playing for two years, and I'm still learning about specific spots in the game's maps, different techniques and tricks to use, and the like. The endgame is pretty intense; it's at a level a bit below those "hardcore" (by hardcore I mean entirely technical) shooters like Quake Live, but your performance in the match relies a decent amount on your skill. I say decent, but that's one of the most glaring problems.

I will say I haven't been around the gaming realm a lot, but I've played a decent amount of games from varying genres and the like. Anything from Korean MMO's to Quake to U.S. racing games to first/third person shooters. I have enough experience to see the economy and such that go into the range of games. And, in that regard, this game fails miserably.

Any weapon, upgrade, armor, or the like in the game can significantly improve your ability to fight. SIGNIFICANTLY. I've been around long enough to gather everything in endgame, and the difference even between "weapon tiers" is sickening sometimes. The worst part? In-game earnings are often drained by anything from armor repair to consumables, making it difficult to stockpile enough earnings to get a higher tier weapon, let alone a higher tier armor or something similar. However, drop $50 on the game, and you can hook yourself up with endgame gear. Plain and simple. The game completely disregards what they state is "forever free to play". Maybe they meant, "It'll take you forever if you're free to play."

Either way, that's the most glaring issue. If you download this game, you're probably going to have a lot of fun in the first few matches of the beginners bracket, but the second you step out of the beginner's bracket, you're thrown in with people who have no problems spending $150 on a game right out of the bat, who will tank entire magazines from your low-end weapon and one-shot you with their own.

Other than that, the other resounding issue is that there are bugs and glitches that have been in the game since closed Alpha that have still not gotten fixed, despite consistent requests from the community. There's little to zilch communication between the team and the playerbase, as compared to other games. If you find a glitch or see broken cover somewhere, good luck seeing it fixed in the next few months. It probably still won't be.

Clan systems are there but not overly developed. It's a page in the menu that shows a clan, the rankings of those in the clan (soldier, officer, leader), the name, and a avatar that you can give for your clan that looks incredibly generic. Don't expect much if you're a clan guy. Fireteaming is pretty easy, but clan match searches are non-existent. You have to search out the people to challenge them to a clan match. It can be done but it's not the most fluid of experiences.

But yea. I love the game, but there's a lot of problems with it that are far too detrimental to the playing experience. You're constantly getting bombarded with subliminal messages saying "Buy this!" from anything with the auto-set-to-purchase-with-GC store, to the terrible matchmaking that sticks in lowbie gear with endgame gear.

Would I recommend it? With all honesty, I wouldn't. If you have deep pockets or extreme patience, go for it, but you're going to either see your patience stretched extremely thin once you go against seven newbies who all dropped $100 on the game for a single class or once the gun you buy is shown to be ineffective against a new weapon that's released a week later that's far stronger.

The gameplay is awesome. The metaplay is awesome.

The economy is terrible. The bugs are terrible. The clan systems are mediocre at best.

If you're up for grinding through the downsides, go for it. It's a fantastic game in the sense of the actual playing of it, but it was ruined by greedy hands and deaf ears on part of the developers. Good luck.
  3. Dec 19, 2014
    Alright this reviews are out dated. game is completely changed from A to Z. specialy graphics. because it looks perfect right now. also gameplay is still unique itself. i really enjoying with this. its not pay to win but if you pay like around 50-60 dolar you can start with better weapons and gears etc. BUT the fact is at some point a free to play player can reach that level too (10 levelAlright this reviews are out dated. game is completely changed from A to Z. specialy graphics. because it looks perfect right now. also gameplay is still unique itself. i really enjoying with this. its not pay to win but if you pay like around 50-60 dolar you can start with better weapons and gears etc. BUT the fact is at some point a free to play player can reach that level too (10 level = 3 or 4 days depend your activity) and this is not a mmorpg game so gear doesnt mean everything. SKILL > MONEY this is another fact. so give a chance and play. trust me this game is fun. Expand
  4. Jun 28, 2014
    Probably the best tactical shooter ever made. Outstanding! Everyone should give it a try. Even people that usually dont like TomClancy games (as i ) should give it a try. Especially movement and cover functions are very unique and unseen in shooter games.
  5. May 8, 2014
    This game is amazing!! Until you reach lvl 8
    GO TO THE STORE
    SELECT A WEAPON
    TRY IT OUT
    THIS GAME IS JUST THE TRUE DEFINITION OF PAY 2 WIN
    Im doing 17 damage from mid range with a tier 3 support weapon...the other guy kills me in 3 shots with his PKM a guy that has More Hp Damage mitigation etc..... DO NOT INVEST MONEY ON THIS CRAP
  6. Aug 12, 2014
    This game, free to play, it might be the successor of Counter Strike; tactical and teamwork based. Controls and graphics are really nice.
    Recommended.
  7. Aug 31, 2014
    I'm writing this because I am absolutely appalled at the level of money-grubbing and content-splicing in the current state of the game. Phantoms has by far the worst implementation of micro-transactions and "DLC" I have ever seen. Let me list a few brief reasons:

1. GC costs per gun are completely out of control. For example, a Tier 7 assault rifle costs roughly 1800GC. 1800GC is 8$. For ONE gun?! Please ask yourselves if this is reasonable because I can't see how it could be.

2. Your "DLC" is nothing but more microtransaction packs which, in my opinion, are grossly overpriced at $19 and $25. Usually DLC includes actual content such as maps or new game modes. I'll remind you that the last letter of DLC stands for content. Start making some and we'll support it.

3. AC sinks such as armor repair and grenade replacements. Completely absurd and pointless; you are making us pay for grenades and durability as if this is an MMORPG.

4. The amount of cash shop elements on the front screen which includes a button that flat out says BUY AAA (a monthly subscription service that offers absolutely ZERO value unless you enjoy being able to pay for new guns first!). It’s almost subliminal in how shameless it is. Other pointless cash shop elements: item storage (this is a tactical shooter?), cash shop button on main screen, random treasure chests for 3-4$ (hope you don’t get special ammo!),cash shop links within inventory menus , first in-game screen says “GET YOUR AAA PASS” in large text, cash shop link in scrapyard menu, etc. Please grow some respectability and a sense of subtlety.

5. There is actually a $99 “DLC” bundle. Worse yet, they claim it contains $180 worth of items. Are you out of your minds with this one? This game is not worth $180 I’m sorry to inform. Plus, this $99 bundle isn’t even the complete package; you know more guns are coming in future.

Once again I have to say that I really like the game and play it often and also I did put a bit of money into it. However, I do not honestly feel satisfied with that purchase because $25 gets you basically nothing in this game.

One last thing: this game IS PAY TO WIN: you can buy “special ammo” that does more damage, you can buy a tier 7 gun and attachments from the start, and you can buy better armor from the start. Finally, you can’t buy everything with the earned (not paid-for) currency and I hope you earn 5,000 points a game because if not, you’ll be waiting a while to unlock basic things.
  8. Jan 5, 2016
    This game is heavily P2W, even looking at the leaderboard and the store(to buy other P2W stuff) cost money, quite ridiculous.

On a completely unrelated note, the servers are a ghost town now these days, but even if tons of people were playing I would still give this a 1 due to the insane amount of P2W this game tries to shove down your throat.
  9. Feb 16, 2014
    Alongside all the other issues addressed in other reviews (P2W, ridiculous gun prices, terrible matchmaking, lack of maps, campers, etc.). The game servers are possibly the worst ones I have ever encountered, you get randomly disconnected during the middle of a round (not client internet problem). The game acts as if you were the one who rage quit and it penalizes you for no reason. YouAlongside all the other issues addressed in other reviews (P2W, ridiculous gun prices, terrible matchmaking, lack of maps, campers, etc.). The game servers are possibly the worst ones I have ever encountered, you get randomly disconnected during the middle of a round (not client internet problem). The game acts as if you were the one who rage quit and it penalizes you for no reason. You have to pay for armor repairs, you lose XP/RP, and you also lose your match completion streak. It's absolutely ridiculous for this to be happening, it would be almost laughable how terrible the servers are if it wasn't so frustrating. Overall, the game had the potential to become amazing, but it has become obvious it has been thrown away. Truly a shame, being a Ghost Recon fan since the original, it saddens me to see what this series has come to. Honestly, get your sh*t together, Ubisoft. Expand
  10. Apr 17, 2014
    This is not the Ghost Recon we grew up with. I remember Ghost Recon having expansive maps with planning and strategy being a must. That kind of creative game design merited the original GR a "Game of the Year" award from several industry-leading publications.

Today, the series is nothing more than a cash grab for Ubisoft. In Phantoms, teamwork is nonexistent, and matches just become

Today, the series is nothing more than a cash grab for Ubisoft.

In Phantoms, teamwork is nonexistent, and matches just become a camp-fest for snipers. After being slaughtered several times as a support character, I switched to a recon with a sniper rifle loadout and immediately killed 5 in a row. After experiencing that, plus the notion of pay to win, I'll be switching back to CSGO now.
  11. Apr 21, 2014
    Well the idea is really great, and i played for couple of days and I really enjoyed it. But the first thing i noticed, autobalance is awfull. It might be true or not but it looks like a marketing idea in these f2p games. So here it goes - automatch is always unbalanced so you would think that gear is esential to wining (and it obviously is) so then you would spend money if youre hooked upWell the idea is really great, and i played for couple of days and I really enjoyed it. But the first thing i noticed, autobalance is awfull. It might be true or not but it looks like a marketing idea in these f2p games. So here it goes - automatch is always unbalanced so you would think that gear is esential to wining (and it obviously is) so then you would spend money if youre hooked up on the game. By unbalanced I mean ( i have played less than 100games) theres always one team who is winning/owning other team. And no comeback was seen in all of those games i've played, sometimes i was in the winning team sometimes it was opssosite.

This is the only thing that completely and i mean completely let me make up my mind and stop playing this game which had a great potential amongst player who would like a bit more tactical shooter than games these days in the market. Because it is great run and gun does not work, i''ve tried many tiems and failed many times, slow tactical approach using covers is what you need to succeed. Customization is great, i really liked the idea that oyu can try any gun or attachement in the firing range prior to buying it, that was really great idea.

Maps suit the game, but variety was awfull all i did was played in 3 or 4 maps all the time, and they are completely symetrical. Graphics are not good, and it was lagging on my laptop, but i guess its just getting old.

My score is not great though i wont give it horrible score also, because I did enjoyed the game for a few days. 5
  12. Oct 21, 2012
    I can see this game applying to a very small demography of players, this does not include me. Horrible bugs from when I did play, unable to tolerate some of the things that did happen. Camping is encouraged on some maps and getting away from campers is all but impossible. Oh lets not forget that many players prefer to play a sniper, so the teams are typically sniper oriented. Assaults areI can see this game applying to a very small demography of players, this does not include me. Horrible bugs from when I did play, unable to tolerate some of the things that did happen. Camping is encouraged on some maps and getting away from campers is all but impossible. Oh lets not forget that many players prefer to play a sniper, so the teams are typically sniper oriented. Assaults are mostly gimp, machine guns with some of the map layouts make it easier to camp. Etc, I cannot give this game a positive review, I can say their minds are in the right place but their execution is not. I can recommend the original ghost recon, but not much else. Expand
  13. Mar 19, 2014
    Big fan of Ghost Recon. Biggest hater of this game. How on earth do they even dare thinking that this game would work ?

That's pretty simple, basically, in this game, 99.9% of the "players" I've met in my 3 hours playthrough think "Scr*w the objectives, they just help me camping." AND THAT'S IT. There is no fun in this game. And the worst part of it is that I didn't see anyone

There is no fun in this game. And the worst part of it is that I didn't see anyone playing with free weapons ! If you just think you will play for free, you'll see your progression not advancing (at all), and the best you'll get in a headshot is 37 damage at close range ??? WTF ???!!!

If you have a minimum of self-love, or reason, or both, just say no to this piece of junk. Seriously, you'll be doing yourself a life saving gift.
  14. Feb 20, 2014
    Pay to win design.

Pay to receive half health, and deal quadruple damage.
    They charge you for each grenade (seriously, not even kidding).
    Bought the top tier equipment? They release a higher tier of equipment for you to buy to stay competitive.

Want to earn it by playing? Expect to put in years into this game.
  15. Apr 16, 2014
    Ok so lets just start off by saying that someone put "some" effort into making this game half way decent. However where this game falls super short is it's over the top pay to win structure. This game is fun, but has very little maps, the tactics are non-existent. The game becomes boring very fast because of the lack of upgrades. Honestly the menu system and selection of items you can getOk so lets just start off by saying that someone put "some" effort into making this game half way decent. However where this game falls super short is it's over the top pay to win structure. This game is fun, but has very little maps, the tactics are non-existent. The game becomes boring very fast because of the lack of upgrades. Honestly the menu system and selection of items you can get are very small and seems like it's still in beta. Also I've noticed that 80% of players go recon because they like to cloak, pop up, and snipe people the whole game. This makes the game a bunch of snipers behind cover popping shots back and forth, there really isn't an aggressive push for objectives without playing with people you know personally. I'd say the biggest thing this game has going for it is that it's free, the thing that it has holding it back severely in my book and many of my friends who are veteran shooter players is the pay to win system. It's just too outright annoying to put up with and I won't be a part of it anymore. I'm annoyed to no end. I've played every Tom Clancy branded game out there, and this is a shame to his name. Don't waste your money, for the love of gaming. Expand
  16. Feb 10, 2013
    So, when I first started off playing this game I thought to myself "how can they possibly make a game this fun?" The cover system was like nothing I had played before and the matches seemed even. That was the first three games. The following few days playing this I had a different experience, being camped. Virtually everyone plays a sniper toon and camps in one spot. So badly in factSo, when I first started off playing this game I thought to myself "how can they possibly make a game this fun?" The cover system was like nothing I had played before and the matches seemed even. That was the first three games. The following few days playing this I had a different experience, being camped. Virtually everyone plays a sniper toon and camps in one spot. So badly in fact that any assault type character has no accuracy while approaching and can not hit them. I think you will see by the other reviews that this is becoming more and more common. Prepare to play teams who don't mind losing every match as long as you are mitigated to only capturing one objective and sitting there. So sad, this game could be one of the greats in my opinion if the assault/specialist characters could fire their weapons accurately and have a chance against the campers. So close yet so far. Expand
  17. Feb 2, 2014
    First I'll discuss the problems, then discuss what makes the game unique.

First I'll discuss the problems, then discuss what makes the game unique.

The problems with GRO include things like the pricing. I looked at the rate of earnings and cost of these items and determined it would take years to build up to the most advanced weapons and devices. 2, 3 maybe more, based on playing about 2 hours per day. They've several times increased the grind that must be done. The earliest players played before a new "tier" restriction kicked in that made it much easier to get the best weapons for less, so if you start this game now, which is VERY VERY much pay to win, you will face not only those who've mastered the mechanics, but who already have high end gear. And the best weapon gives a big boost over it's immediate 2nd best. Yes, the gear you have makes a big difference, sometimes ridiculously so. Many complaints about people "sniping" with the SPAS shotgun. The guys who have the best gear have nothing more to worry about than buying grenades, 20% damage boosting magnum rounds, and armor-boosting inserts for the most part.

As far as nades go, they basically turned the game from a strategic game into a grenade simulator. Especially on the chertanovo level, when people get on the capture point, they can expect multiple players from the other team to throw a grenade storm upon them. Grenades often can not be run away from, and it can be hard to know where they are. They often result in immediate death. They should be limited in how often they can be used (like twice per round), but instead you can use 2 per respawn as long as you have some in your collection. Perhaps this is due to hoping to entice players to put real money in the game for more kills. It may not seem an excessive quantity if you are used to action games, but in a game where you frequently must stay in a specific area, it becomes ridiculous.

One problem I've seen is that people can often come around corners, and before you can even think "there's an enemy" it is like you die and then they show up, or you died as soon as they came around the edge. I don't know if its something to do with programming for lag compensation or hacking. If you wonder, my internet speed is 20 Mbps and I'm no stranger to pings of 20ms. There was a hacker that had many many players reporting him, even on the official forums, but for many months or a year or more nothing was done about him, but he did get banned after forever. If only the programmers built in a demo recording feature, we could really learn a lot about what really goes on as far as hacking in this game.

If you want to spend a few hundred dollars on this game, boost my rating to a 7. If they deal with grenades and you have a few hundred dollars, give it a 10. Otherwise, with the grenade spam and excessive factor $$$ plays into good gear, it's not really a game a serious competitive gamer would take seriously. If you play it you play it for fun, you don't come here expecting fairness and the best gamer to win. Grenade luck and good gear just affect victory far too much.

---

This game features a level of significantly gameplay-affecting weapon mechanics I have not seen elsewhere that create a more strategic and uniquely fun experience. There are around 8 different weapons per category of sniper rifle, shotgun, and machine guns. Here's the significance of it all (and it is very important):

Ready time: How long it takes before your gun is ready to shoot after certain actions like stopping from a sprint (you can not shoot while sprinting), proning...

Control: the range your crosshair will jitter around when you shoot

Accuracy: How accurate the bullet will hit where your crosshair is

Might be some more stuff, but there's also attachments that affect clip size, muzzle flash, silencers, and whatever I might've forgotten.

You can take cover in this game by pressing a button near a wall. Cover will boost your weapon's control and accuracy.

The team tactics usually involve little more than people using their microphones to announce enemy locations to others.

The game has 2 unique devices per class, but only one can be equipped at a time (can be changed upon each death). Recons can scan a large area for enemies that show up through walls even on their teammate's screens, or become invisible. Assaults can run extra fash with a shield to knock down enemies for a couple of seconds or they can use microwaves to nearly immobilize enemies in a large area. Specialists can make a forcefield big enough to protect several teammates (you will often die quickly from nade spam at this point), or they can use blackout to nearly stun enemies and reset their device meter.
  18. Jan 31, 2013
    Don't let those tom clancy fanboys fool you. This has got to be the WORST game design I've ever seen in my life (speaking as one involved in game design myself). It is a model of creating levels in a game but ignoring them for match making purposes, pitting low levels against high levels, and a steamroll in nearly every match. Once in a blue moon there is a good game that is somewhatDon't let those tom clancy fanboys fool you. This has got to be the WORST game design I've ever seen in my life (speaking as one involved in game design myself). It is a model of creating levels in a game but ignoring them for match making purposes, pitting low levels against high levels, and a steamroll in nearly every match. Once in a blue moon there is a good game that is somewhat close. But the fact is, higher level characters will faceroll you on every factor. There is no balance whatsoever until you reach level 30, which will take eons if you started playing the game after beta, because those who already started can 1 shot you with a p90 for 150 dmg noncrit in the toe, insta-killing you before they even decloak, meanwhile your lmg, ar, or shotguns do 1-2 dmg per shot in the head due to their massive armor mods which you cannot counter until you reach higher levels since higher level equipment is insanely superior to lower level equipment. No balance though they claim there is balance between the stats. But the stats on equipment are not weighted properly at all. Since you cannot get kills, you cannot gain xp, and hence you will be stuck for a long time grinding those levels. Unless you enjoy sitting there and getting slaughtered without actually being able to play, avoid this game. Lag issues are so horrible, more than half the time you seem to get shot through walls before the enemy has shown themselves yet. In addition, only less than 35% of projectiles even show up on max settings. So often you will die from invisible fire you didn't even know were being shot because the visuals (including impacts on the wall) and sound neglected to initiate. Had high hopes for this game, but was a let down in every conceivable way. Expand
  19. Jun 25, 2013
    This game has an incredible intuitive interface and the best way to use cover I've seen yet in an FPS. The problem herein lies in how impossible it is to contain camping and produce a satisfying game continuously. The main problem here is that matches are nearly never full, meaning the maps that would be great for 20 people, just become a flanker's paradise with 12. Add in the fact thatThis game has an incredible intuitive interface and the best way to use cover I've seen yet in an FPS. The problem herein lies in how impossible it is to contain camping and produce a satisfying game continuously. The main problem here is that matches are nearly never full, meaning the maps that would be great for 20 people, just become a flanker's paradise with 12. Add in the fact that soldiers have far too many hit points, and this becomes annoying. It takes 3 sniper body shots to kill assault class guys and I've lit up people with 6 bullets only to die quickly. Given its free to play nature as well, some of the higher level guns will just eat you up once you arise out of the beginners ranks.

Basically, it needs a more tiered system, but doesn't have enough players to even fill normal matches at this point. If you have a fireteam of 3 friends that you're voice chatting, it can be great, but just know that an enemy right over the wall that you shoot 5 times may be harder to kill than that guy crawling across the map.

Final verdict: Worth it if you can play with a couple of friends, but needs tweaking to become a great game otherwise.
  20. Mar 21, 2013
    This is by no means Ghost Recon, at least not the one you're used to, except for the name. First is the pay to win, yes there is other options to win, but you can fast track yourself with real life money. You have to pay for grenades with in game credits and you earn more guns over time through play (unless you fork over some cash, then you get it early). I'm impartial to this.

The bad

The bad part is, that it is essentially a Ghost Recon themed Call of Duty. You can get powerups that for example puts a shield around you and your team that stops bullets. Now there are some minor powerups that are perfectly okay, but adding things like Juggernaut from Call of Duty is not really the Ghost Recon I know or at least no Ghost Recon I've ever seen.

Ubisoft is going the same was as EA.. Pay to win and attract the crowds instead of the fans. This game seriously tarnished the Tom Clancy reputation.
  21. Apr 14, 2013
    Alright. I have to say it, I am going to give this game a 4. Ghost Recon Online has quite some style in it. I've been playing for a couple months now. Game play is decent, as well as the cover system which isn't very common in most f2p shooters. However, the biggest concern I have for this game is very POOR matchmaking. Seriously, beginners are being overpowered by vets, when they haveAlright. I have to say it, I am going to give this game a 4. Ghost Recon Online has quite some style in it. I've been playing for a couple months now. Game play is decent, as well as the cover system which isn't very common in most f2p shooters. However, the biggest concern I have for this game is very POOR matchmaking. Seriously, beginners are being overpowered by vets, when they have only played and won 4 or 5 matches. They immediately get thrown into the advanced player base. Secondly, LACK of MAPS. Can't stress this enough. With this game still in open beta, it lacks a ton of maps. Warframe has a ton more maps and it is still in open beta. You'll be finding yourself playing the same 6 maps over and over and over again with bratty annoying voice comm players telling you what to do. You will get sick of it. Also you cannot choose your own map to play on. It is all based on GRO's matchmaking system. I would hate to predict that Ubisoft will start updating their maps and game modes in the next 3-4 years. They have made very little advancement in this f2p.

Thirdly, weapon prices are ridiculous. If you are a casual gamer and play for free, it will take you FOREVER to get the last couple guns even after you have reached level 30. Ubisoft is secretly trying to make you pay with Ghost Coins. Anyways, if you do plan on playing this game for a very long time, everything said here will apply. Good luck fellow gamer.
  22. Feb 21, 2014
    A lot has changed with this game in the past few months. And not for the better.

First, Ubisoft begrudgingly acknowledged the existence of a speed exploit, the "FSB" exploit as it is called. Many of us knew this existed already, despite many months of Ubisoft denying or downplaying the idea - while happily taking people's money of course. The ensuing FSB discussion led to everybody knowing how to do it, and do it they do. It has been suggested that it can never be fixed, being coded into the heart of the game engine. Ubi makes vague noises about banning these people, but their numbers only grow.

Around that same time (coincidence?) the game became blatantly Pay To Win. Cover based game? LOL, it used to be. But who needs cover now when you can just go to the store, kit up for 100.00 and walk around the map with near impunity? Ridiculous P2W armor and weapons have destroyed what was once the best tactical teamplay shooter around. Players who support the game should get some advantage, but the advantage afforded here is laughable.

It used to be that your play and your skills could swing matches. That you could, as a Recon, sneak up behind that heavy and headshot him from behind for a kill. No more. Now you will magdump his head, his paid armor will absorb most of the damage and he will turn around and kill you with a 50 dollar gun. It used to be that teamwork could swing games, not so any more. The matchmaker puts Big Boys (based on equipment and rank) on each side of the match, everybody else is just filler for the team, if your best equipped guys suck, you lose, no matter what you do. You are no longer rewarded for getting into perfect position and making the perfect shot, you are rewarded for buying a SPAS from Ubisoft.

I've put money into the game, more than I care to admit to, but it has simply gone too far - I don't want to win games in the store.

This is the company that destroyed the original Ghost Recon series, so no real surprise here.
  23. Apr 15, 2014
    Oh my god. This game - I so wanted to like this game. It killed; it was everything I could've hoped for in a multiplayer shooter - it was tactical, smart, you had to rely on teamwork more than your own firepower. It emphasized skill and strategy. It was amazing. It starts you off in a beginner bracket, so that everyone from ranks 1-7 is playing together, and everyone is still figuring outOh my god. This game - I so wanted to like this game. It killed; it was everything I could've hoped for in a multiplayer shooter - it was tactical, smart, you had to rely on teamwork more than your own firepower. It emphasized skill and strategy. It was amazing. It starts you off in a beginner bracket, so that everyone from ranks 1-7 is playing together, and everyone is still figuring out the game like you, while getting better. Those first couple of hours were some of the best multipayer shooter experiences I've ever had, especially with my friend. Probably one of my best free-to-play experiences, period.

But then, when your class gets to rank 8, you now have to graduate into the "veteran" bracket. There is no in between. So now, you're dancing with these level 30+ guys who can floor you on their own. However, you're also trying to compete with pay-to-winners, because the equipment you can buy can make you nearly invulnerable to just about anything, and the guns... Well, they get ridiculous. You can test them all in the firing range, and trust me when I say that some of those guns are just flat out horrendously overpowered. They are very obviously trying to take a snatch at your wallet, as these weapons cost ridiculous amounts of AC so that you'll probably never be able to earn them, but hey - you can fork over forty bucks and with that GC you just bought, get this assault rifle with the power of a sniper, control of a sidearm, and the power of a close range shotgun - at any range.

Also, they say the new matchmaking takes equipment and level into account now, but because of how few people are playing, this doesn't make the slightest difference. You will have to fight whoever is available.

So, because of vets who may have actually earned their equipment and the pay-to-winners who buy everything without developing any real skill, the game devolves from one of the classiest and most advanced tactical TPS games I've ever played, to basically CoD, with impervious tanks-of-a-man's strolling around, poppin' caps and takin' names.

It is truly sad, as this game looked like it originally was really meant for the real fans, but then became a game that is appealing to the standard shooter demographic of people, specifically the ones who don't "have the time to build up skill", who want to just show up and light up.

If the game becomes more pupulated, and matchmaking evens out, and you are TRULY getting paired by equipment, so that every match is fair, and the teamwork aspect is brought back, this game will get an 8. Maybe 9. But as of April 15, 2014, for me, this game isn't worth the download, as the sudden shift out of advanced, ghost recon multiplayer tactics into formula shooter just leaves you wanting more, and makes you sad that you can't get more because you can't go back.
  24. Dec 28, 2013
    At first G:RO was a really nice addition to the pool of free 2 play games. Playing it felt good, it stood out from the rest and gave the genre of third person multiplayer shooters a revival. Then the devs decided to go a way that hurt that game a lot. Severe bugs not fixed for months, lack of content, lags, etc.
    Now a few months later (and a raging community) they fixed some of the long
    Now a few months later (and a raging community) they fixed some of the long overdue things (e.g. weapon flinch), some smaller bugs and brought some new content into the game.
    What still needs to be fixed is the poor performance on some machines, the terrible matchmaking and the very bad economy. Currently GRO is just a big big grind with exclusive p2w items for paying customers. RP players are left behind.
    I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone who is not willing to spend a dime. Without spending at least 10-20 bucks a month you will have a hard time playing it.
  25. Feb 8, 2014
    I rated this game a 4 because it has great graphics and controls. GRO could have been an amazing f2p game, but it has many issues.
    []
    People complain about campers, but i feel like the map design and cover system were thoughtfully developed in a way that turns the traditional run-and-gun style shooters on their heads. It makes you carefully plan out what cover you're moving to next, and gives a whole new dimension to the use of suppression fire. The straightforward maps force opposing teams into choke points, and only teamwork will get you through.
    []
    This style of gameplay is what drew me into GRO, but after a month or so of playing, i've called it quits. I completely agree with other reviewers when they say that the matchmaking is terrible. Noobs get matched up against pros, and oftentimes teams' numbers will also be unbalanced.
    []
    The absolute worst part of the game is the blatant pay-to-win arrangement. Most FPS' try to keep weaponry somewhat balanced, to make things sporting and fun for all. If you play GRO, you will realize very quickly that the higher-tiered weapons are completely superior. Anything you can earn within a reasonable amount of time without paying can't hold a candle to the purchased guns. Almost every match in GRO is completely one sided, and the winner is inevitably the team with more pay-to-winners.
    []
    It's too bad that a game with such potential had to go this route. I play a lot of f2p online games, and I have spent plenty of money on them, but not until they have earned my respect with their free features. GRO did the opposite. The complete disregard for the free experience made me NOT want to spend any money on it.
  26. Mar 7, 2014
    Mega broken FPS shooter, you can't play this if you dont pay 300 euros for month, this is not FREE shooter, this is payed shooter masked like Free-FPS-online-shooter. But it's not, if you dont pay, they ban you. if you give opinions they ban you. Ultra broken game graphic, FSB exploiters, hackers, full with pay2win users.
  27. Sep 7, 2012
    This is an absolutely superb PvP shooter, with really strong weapon handling/performance, map design and movement and cover mechanics. It is also very well-managed and not pay-to-win. It's not for everybody, though; hardcore, steep learning curve, much humiliation until you get in the groove. Best online shooter, either coop or PvP that I've played in years.
  28. Sep 7, 2012
    This game is an unbelievable amount of fun. When you get a good team (and good opponents), a Control Points match can become a heated battle that gets your heart racing and forces a smile onto your face, and in Attack and Defense there is rarely a sure thing. Everything goes so smoothly- sliding into cover, activating a device, pole vaulting over a bit of cover- the animations are smootherThis game is an unbelievable amount of fun. When you get a good team (and good opponents), a Control Points match can become a heated battle that gets your heart racing and forces a smile onto your face, and in Attack and Defense there is rarely a sure thing. Everything goes so smoothly- sliding into cover, activating a device, pole vaulting over a bit of cover- the animations are smoother still. The graphics are high quality but don't require a high-end PC. The sound is great (nothing quite as satisfying for the ears as gunning someone down with an SMG), although in-lobby music is boring and repetitive. Fortunately, thanks to a growing player base and recent work on matchmaking, you won't have to stay in the lobby for long. As a game, it's great. Weapons are fair, gameplay is objective focused, and while there are few maps (so far) they all allow for everyone to play in their chosen style.
    Unfortunately, it's these chosen styles that can turn a potentially great match into a dull one. Many people decide their play style is simply to camp. This is made all the more easy with powerful sniper rifles being available at a cheap price. This means that people can just hang back while a small handful of soldiers move forward to capture the point and get into actual, incredibly satisfying fire fights (thankfully though, I've noticed less and less people camping in recent times).
    All in all, a great game with great gameplay, that is occasionally (albeit very rarely) let down by camping soldiers, sitting at the back and expecting their team to finish the game. Thankfully, when people aren't camping, this can be one of the most intense and satisfying games that I have played in a long time.
  29. Sep 8, 2012
    This is easily the most pleasant online shooter experience I've ever had. The gameplay is smooth, weapon balance is good, maps are well crafted and work well for both teams. There is a lot of challenge to do well and the rewards system is carefully crafted to reward and encourage team play.
    Players new to tactical shooters will find they have a lot to learn, but supporting your team and playing aggressively without being careless will see you winning matches fairly regularly.

The game is still in its early days and could do with a few more maps and a firing range to try out weapons and attachments before purchase, but on the whole I've found the entire experience to be very rewarding.
  30. Dec 30, 2012
    Mechanics, shooting and everything is fine, but this game has worst matchmaking I've ever seen. No matter if you just started playing you will fight with vets with 500 hours played, clans etc.
  31. Aug 31, 2013
    been playing from closed beta on... and stopped 2 play it... now, one year and several patches l8er i have to see...it became more pay2win then any other game i know o0...shame on this game...
  32. Mar 3, 2014
    This Game makes a lot of fun!!!! Perhaps you came (like me) from shooters like Battlefield or CoD. Because then this Game will teach you tactical game-play and it will have you fun at this.
  33. Feb 14, 2014
    It’s the worst gaming experience I've ever had in a game. While the game looks promising, its poorly design features only serves to frustrate and disappoint. For example, it’s quite counterproductive when you score a head shot on the enemy and they don’t die but instead have their health reduced to about 10% giving them a chance to hide behind cover as their health regenerates. While thisIt’s the worst gaming experience I've ever had in a game. While the game looks promising, its poorly design features only serves to frustrate and disappoint. For example, it’s quite counterproductive when you score a head shot on the enemy and they don’t die but instead have their health reduced to about 10% giving them a chance to hide behind cover as their health regenerates. While this doesn't happen all the time it’s frequency is noticeably annoying. You would think the effects of a head shot would be obvious. Another disappointing factor about the game is that some of the weapons for the assault class have the same kill range as a sniper rifle. It can get a bit alarming for sniper players to be killed by an assault rifle at a range that is commonly thought to be reserved only for sniping. These are NOT bugs but horrendously built in features that were somehow green lighted (or overlooked) and they’re not the only ones in the game. Also, while spending money on premium items in the game doesn't make you a better player, which is fine, they don’t offer any real usable bonuses either other than a petty attempt to look unique. Under the weight of the horrible experiences provided by such a disappointing game I had to quit and was glad I did. Expand
  34. Apr 14, 2014
    Pros:
    Free to Play
    Small download Nice mechanic set-up for a shooter with a few interesting slide and cover choices Cons: Many Hackers encounter 4 so far out of 8 matches Gun balancing is terrible Straight up players who have payed to advance to full kits will dominate you even if you play better Maps are checkpoint corridors of chokepoints Personal problems ARs were pointless
    Pros:
    Free to Play
    Small download
    Cons:
    Many Hackers encounter 4 so far out of 8 matches
    Gun balancing is terrible
    Maps are checkpoint corridors of chokepoints

Personal problems ARs were pointless in comparison to most guns, SMG and Shotguns dropped you or your enemy in insanely little effort, Hitboxing I felt was clunky, small bushes in ceramic pots block your shots, graphics are average at best for 2012 and No match making what so ever to speak of.

Also with matches you capture one point hold it for the rest of the game and win, no need at all to push any further forward easier to hold and just farm enemy team or it will happen to you.
  35. Jan 13, 2014
    Ghost Recon Online is a high quality title for a free to play game. One of the best Free to Play games I have played. The game is not your typical free to play, boring snooze-fest of uninspiring work. This game changes that and brings hope to the Free to Play genre itself. I do not understand how people can say that this game has a steep learning curve. I have played some previousGhost Recon Online is a high quality title for a free to play game. One of the best Free to Play games I have played. The game is not your typical free to play, boring snooze-fest of uninspiring work. This game changes that and brings hope to the Free to Play genre itself. I do not understand how people can say that this game has a steep learning curve. I have played some previous Ghost Recon games before, but not for a while. When I played GR:O, of course I was not a straight veteran MLG pro quality player, but I felt right at home when playing this. It is a personal interest, a game that is right for me.

Starting with the aesthetics, the game looks great. A very well polished game overall, perhaps the (second) most polished F2P game other than Team Fortress itself. Animations look great, not absolute perfect AAA quality, but near there. Better than some AAA blockbuster games though. One thing about the game are the guns. The guns also look very nice, they feel and handle well, all feeling unique as well as having a nice variety to spray your enemy with lead. You can customize your weapons to your liking, most attachments are side-grades. There are also 3 types of each gun, each having their own trade offs to suit your style and different situations as well. Personal customization isn't the greatest, but it's still there if you care enough about it. The biggest issue about the game is the new tier system they offered. This system has almost ruined the game and made it a grind. Before this system, you can rank up your character, and buy any gun as long as you were high enough in rank and credits. With the new Tier system, you have to buy every single gun below that tier, in order to get the gun that is the highest tier. A major turn off for everyone. You will be spending more credits on guns you won't need than the guns you do need.

Gameplay is very solid, as compared to any other F2P game, it is superb. The game is cover-based which adds a large amount of tactics required. It is recommended that you stay close to your teammates as they usually provide extra perks from their upgrades. You can see thins "futuristic" beams that pair you with your teammates, a nice design to implement. Character speeds feel just about right, your speed also varies on your armor and which upgrades you have installed, same with the guns. You can choose between 3 stances, the typical, standing, crouching and prone; you can also toggle these different stances while taking cover, each providing more cover than the other, depending on the situation, as well as more accuracy and control for your gun. To add more tactics to the game itself, there are 3 classes: Recon, Assault, and Specialist. Each having their own unique and strategic advantage.

As a Recon, you are an infiltrator, or a sniper, you can either cloak or detect enemies (Oracle).

As an Assault, you push the front line, you can charge with your shield (Blitz) and bash enemies over or use your microwave emitter (Heat) to damage enemies in cover and prevent them from being able to attack.

As a Specialist, you provide that special ability to either shield yourself (Aegis) as well as your friends from taking damage (unless enemies are inside the shield) or you can disable enemy components (Disrupt) and charge in to make a push and clear enemies.

When using your gun, you can either hip fire, or aim down sights. The game is in third person, but the transition between third person and first person is very well executed.

As far as I know and have been playing, there are only 3 game modes available:

Conquest - which is similar to Attack/Defend of Team Fortress, you must attack one point and which ever team captures it will change the maps progression.

Onslaught - This game gives both teams the opportunity to attack or defend each round. There are 2 points that one team must defend simultaneously , when both points are lost, the defending team must protect the 3rd point which becomes active.

Holdout - There is only one capture point that both teams must fight over, which ever team has the point at the end game wins.

When you begin your game, matches are the best, they are downright fun (at least I have found them to be). Like other games, once you are no longer in the novice rank, you will be put up against skilled players and matches become frustrating when your team is constantly getting wiped on the battlefield.

The maps are very linear, resembling Team Fortress's style, which is not a bad thing. The reason why this is good is that a well designed linear map creates a front for a team to fight on; a war-zone where the team must work together and push as one. So fights are more organized and aren't a death pit such as Call of Duty as well as other games.

Overall, this is a very well polished Free to Play title. If you like tactical shooters, this game is definitely worth giving a try.
  36. Apr 12, 2014
    Ghost Recon is an amazing game if you enjoy a good tactical shooter. This probably is one of the best free shooters on the market at the moment. Overall 9.5/10.
  37. Apr 23, 2014
    Back in early 2012, this game was pure awesome-sauce. Today it's a collection of bugs with new paint on a game engine from 2006, that has been heavily modified till late 2011 and since then, it remains untouched.

Critical bugs, a faulty communication policy from Ubisoft and a massive amount of ignorance and censorship on Ubisofts side kill all the fun of what could've risen like a phoenix from the ashes of F2P shooters.
  38. Apr 17, 2014
    The facade that this is "skill based" or "free to play" is insulting at best, you have to invest a ton of cash to even compete with the opposing players. This is the only shooter I've encountered where paying more money, makes your bullets do more and their bullets do less. Earning anything overtime is unreasonable, as they charge you the in-game and real money to buy grenades and to keepThe facade that this is "skill based" or "free to play" is insulting at best, you have to invest a ton of cash to even compete with the opposing players. This is the only shooter I've encountered where paying more money, makes your bullets do more and their bullets do less. Earning anything overtime is unreasonable, as they charge you the in-game and real money to buy grenades and to keep your "armor" intact. Just to reiterate, you have to pay money (and not just a little), to do as much damage as the opposing players, there's no way around it. To encourage spending, the guns with the higher prices, are of course better, as well as the armor and abilities. Expand
  39. Jun 8, 2014
    This game is subpar even for a F2P, it's not worth your time. Graphics are terrible, options for said graphics are even worse and there is no support for 1440p resolution unless you go manually change it in the files. Even the sound assets make your ears bleed, it feels like they were pulled from a FPS in the 90's. It's like they made a horrible shooter, slapped a Tom Clancy's logo on itThis game is subpar even for a F2P, it's not worth your time. Graphics are terrible, options for said graphics are even worse and there is no support for 1440p resolution unless you go manually change it in the files. Even the sound assets make your ears bleed, it feels like they were pulled from a FPS in the 90's. It's like they made a horrible shooter, slapped a Tom Clancy's logo on it and tried to milk as much it as much as possible. This is typical Ubisoft crap, just like Watch_Dogs. Expand
  40. Apr 12, 2014
    This is a game for the tactical, thinking team. If you like to be strategic, analyze the situation, coordiante with your team and WORK TOGETHER, this is the game to end all games. Two thumbs up!
  41. Apr 19, 2014
    A lot of these bad reviews don't give this game justice. Many people here aren't understanding what free to play is.

As a game its got really really smooth and flexible controls. The defaults are a little weird but you can change them to what you want. The gunplay is solid and has some good mechanics. Like giving a slight critical shot bonus to players aiming without moving. So their first shot has a chance of dealing cortical damage. This also prevents quickshotting close range snipers. A sniper acts like a sniper but he can help his team with a scan or choose closed instead to help his team flank around somewhere. Each class can have a cool ability thing that can help the whole team. For example the assault can have a riot shield which has about a 2 second deploy time then you sprint forward fast and knock people down on the ground while your team shoots them all lying on the ground. Or take a shotgun with you bash someone down swap to your shotgun and blast the hell out of them.

The cover system is great too. Spacebar by default is the cover button which I don't like (I play RO2 and spacebar is the vault button). But you can change it to whatever you want. But you can be in 3 stances while in cover which is awesome. Going prone in cover looks cool.

The camera can go a little funny sometimes and not be where you want it that needs a little bit of polish.

The graphics look good for how well it runs. It run so bloody well. Many people have been complaining about graphics. This is a competitive game and competitive gamers don't care about graphics. Though it still looks rather pretty for how it runs.

Pricing wise its cheaper than planetside 2. You can also unlock every gameplay related its with earned currency. Only things like camo or helmets cost real money. But $5 can get you a primary weapon, a secondary weapon and a helmet. And if you are good you can get the in game cash pretty fast. They also give you a generous amount of starting cash and starting equipment. Level up once and you will get a few more items.

Also the matchmaking problems that many have been complaining about have been fixed.

This is a hardcore game relying on tactics ad proper thinking instead of mindless shooting. If you are some mindless Cod player who pushes two buttons to win you are gonna get thrashed in this game. It has a learning curve. Its not for whiny children.

And its in no way pay to win you can do perfectly fine with the starting gear. And unlock things easy.
  42. Apr 23, 2014
    Great tactical shooter games.You cant win a round without team play and you have to use the cover system .(no run and gun) There're 3 classes and each one having 2 different devices.you have to use at the right time and move forward.Play it and decide.
  43. Apr 24, 2014
    Hands out the best game I've ever played it has the FPS feel but its a TPS I've never loved a game so much until now. For a game to be free, its really good and I would recommend that you play it, you'll be addicted to it
  44. Apr 27, 2014
    Don't be fooled by this game claiming to be free to play. The pay-to-win nature of this game is blatant and just flat out egregious.

For example, I was shooting people in the head for 40 damage while they would shoot me in the body for 40. They nickle and dime you unabashedly. You must pay for grenades and pay to replenish them as you use them. You must pay to repair your armor.

People may claim that you are free to play without paying. But that is an extremely disingenuous assertion. Not paying puts you at a severe disadvantage where other players will steam roll you and once you reach a certain level, most players would have paid. Match making does not differentiate between paying and non-paying players.

Ultimately, you will have two choices when you play this game. Either stop playing because you are out-competed or start shelling out tons of cash, and I mean tons of it. Everything in this game is extremely expensive.
  45. Aug 4, 2014
    Lots of potential, ends up to be a great 3rd person shooter only to be ruined by the pay 2 win system and the lags/glitches! You basically can't afford anything unless you play 24 hours a day or buy your guns online. I'm still waiting for the next rainbow six...
  46. Dec 5, 2014
    ______Despite it's (quite enjoyable) playability Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Phantoms fails horrendously to actually define itself as a game. It would be more accurate to describe it as a free "Demo" with an enormous amount of DLC which you have to pay for.... $$$$$$$$$
    ______And let me tell you, it ain't cheap either, if you want the next weapon upgrade from the one you start with you're looking at paying at least £5 for the "Ghost Coins" which you will have to purchase (with real money) because nearly all of your earnings from playing called "Athena Credits" will go towards repairing your Body Armour and purchasing smoke grenades; frag grenades; HE grenades. Which you will have to buy if you want to compete effectively....
    ______Don't get me wrong here, the Ghost Recon Player vs Player experience is A LOT of fun, however when you consider how much you end up having to pay for it to be on the same level as most of the other people playing it's value runs very low in a very short amount of time. If you want to spend over £100 to £200 just to get to same point as most of the players who just killed you, then this game is definitely for you! Oh and don't forget your £7 a month subscription to "Athena Armoury" (Entirely Optional but generally required, if you don't want to constantly repair your armour). Remember however that the weapons WILL NOT WORK the same way in a game against people as they do in the firing range. Firing range weapons work perfectly (and your targets don't move either...) in game weapons miss MUCH more of the time, I've found them harder to aim, Significantly lower on damage and in general not at all what you expect from when you've tried them in the firing range.
    ______The discrepancies between firing range and in-game could be argued to be due to player body Armour upgrades and/or lag interference, but even if this is the case i don't know how the gap can be so huge.
    ______Unless of course the game is programmed to fire almost perfectly in the firing range...... now who would want that unless you're giving them real money for the next weapon up?............ Surely not the developers of the game?...
    ______When you try a weapon from the shop and it works absolutely perfectly, compared to the weapon you're used to using... and not achieving the results you're expecting. Would you be more inclined to upgrade now, rather than waiting until you've played another 1000 games? (Which btw, will take you 20-40 minutes each on average)
    ______ Apologies to all for the extensive use of dots in my review ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... . (Also i would like to add ______ is the start of a new paragraph.)
  47. Jan 5, 2015
    Game ghost recon online was perfect 9/10
    Game ghost recon phantom is total **** 1/10 (p2w **** as all new ubisoft game)
    I played this game 2 years but now terrible.
    And support by ubisoft terrible. 0/10
  48. Sep 7, 2012
    Ubisoft has genuinely come up with something different. For anyone who likes tactical shooters this is a very good game with slick controls & spot-on audio. It's a team-based game so lone-wolves need not apply, and when the teams are evenly balanced it's tense and exciting. Hopefully more maps & content will come as they move to full launch.
  49. Sep 7, 2012
    Fans of GRAW and GRAW 2 will be reminiscing some awesome moments in this free to play, third/first person shooter. The game is still in beta, but already is showing polished mechanics and an excellent cover system. This is a tactical shooter and requires heavy collaboration with team members to be successful. They have a great VOiP to make this seamless. They are currently addingFans of GRAW and GRAW 2 will be reminiscing some awesome moments in this free to play, third/first person shooter. The game is still in beta, but already is showing polished mechanics and an excellent cover system. This is a tactical shooter and requires heavy collaboration with team members to be successful. They have a great VOiP to make this seamless. They are currently adding content as we speak and new arctic maps will be out shortly, this game seems to be managed on the lines of an MMO and carries over some of those characteristics. This will likely be a big hit with pro-gamers or anyone that likes intense FPS and likes to use their smarts to out-wit the enemy. Expand
  50. Sep 8, 2012
    I recommend everyone at least try this game out (it's FREE.) If you are having trouble early, keep at it. Pretty steep learning curve. Playing with a group of friends is the best way to have fun, it is extremely team/tactical based. This is the farthest game from being p2w, everything you can buy with money can be bought with the free in game currency, and you get to keep all weapons andI recommend everyone at least try this game out (it's FREE.) If you are having trouble early, keep at it. Pretty steep learning curve. Playing with a group of friends is the best way to have fun, it is extremely team/tactical based. This is the farthest game from being p2w, everything you can buy with money can be bought with the free in game currency, and you get to keep all weapons and armor you purchase, it is not rented. As more content is added, I can see this being a real competitive game. Expand
  51. Sep 8, 2012
    Awesome game. No Pay2Win... You need good tactics and skills to win... There gonna be so many new Updates for example a Snow-Map-Mod and new camouflages! GJ Ubisoft
  52. Aug 31, 2012
    Very nice TPS, very tactical and smart, you really should try, it's free ! ;) The content it limited but it will be more in a few time (they are only 4 maps and no armor customisation yet)
  53. Nov 11, 2013
    No other shooter provides such a good team experience. The cover system is incredible and the game is really tactical. It's hard in the beginning, but then super rewarding.
  54. Nov 23, 2013
    If you start out playing it...Good luck, there are so few beginner players that you are forced into playing with experienced players that have a of guns and equipment, that you will get killed in a matter of seconds.
    Sure the game-play is good, but the amount of you have to take while playing the matches is unbelievable.
    Not to talk about it still takes forever to find a match while
    Not to talk about it still takes forever to find a match while you are playing against experienced players
    You will mostly end up with 3 kills and 16 deaths or so, because nearly everyone is just running around cloaked with sm-g's and shooting you from behind.
    Or they will sit at the same spot for the entire match and snipe people.

And your team mates aren't good for They all just run around in their on little way, while the enemy team is killing us 1 by 1.

Now the Free2Play part is not wonderful either, most of the gear is really expensive both with in-game and micro-transactions. Making it a pay2play game really quick, as alot of the items also are micro-transaction only.

Also at the fact that you earn in-game credits at such a slow pace, you will mostly never experience anything else than the start weapons.

Play something else is my suggestion
  55. Feb 7, 2014
    One year ago this game was awesome but now it is a terrible pay to win carbuncle of a game with rampant hacking and outrageous prices. Imagine paying 15-20 euros for a gun... This game can easily cost you 150 euros or many years of game play to get to the top level gear. The matchmaking is terrible with people often leaving games at the start making sides unbalanced. The communityOne year ago this game was awesome but now it is a terrible pay to win carbuncle of a game with rampant hacking and outrageous prices. Imagine paying 15-20 euros for a gun... This game can easily cost you 150 euros or many years of game play to get to the top level gear. The matchmaking is terrible with people often leaving games at the start making sides unbalanced. The community staff are corrupt and vindictive and the community itself is very small. Expand
  56. Sep 8, 2012
    I so like this TPS, many articles of customization and weapons, only 4 maps but the fun is here! (and one more map on the Septembre 12th :D) Can't put a 10 beacause nothing is perfect (like MK16 = sniper...)
  57. Sep 8, 2012
    This is one of the best Free2Play shooters I've played to date, and it helps that it was designed exclusively for PC (with plans in the future for WiiU). The controls and camera feel perfect for a PC system, and the cover system is extremely polished.

It's not a Pay2Win game at all, and the map designs work very well with the existing game types. The game encourages high levels of communication and teamwork, though the learning curve is quite steep. If you're a player that likes to concern themselves with Kill:Death ratios than expect to have terrible ones when you first start out. The game rewards players for playing the objective, not just for killing the enemy team (unless you're exceptionally good at killing the enemy team).

Not rated 10 due to the current lack of content, and a few more issues that need to be polished. Unfortunately the game hasn't been advertised as much as possible either, and due to this the game is currently lacking in population. I highly recommend checking out this game though, the more players it has the better it will get!
  58. Sep 7, 2012
    This is a fantastic free to play game that is the least pay2win f2p ever. The game play is fast and fluid and the guns are varied and fun. With the new arctic pack coming out soon this is game that you must play.
  59. Sep 7, 2012
    GRO is a breath of fresh air in the shooter genre. Too many games focus on destructible environments, vehicles, and bucket loads of bloom. Ghost Recon Online focuses on the most important thing that too many games today forget about until a month before launch: The Gameplay. What it may be lacking in the number of bullet points under its features list, it more than makes up for with highGRO is a breath of fresh air in the shooter genre. Too many games focus on destructible environments, vehicles, and bucket loads of bloom. Ghost Recon Online focuses on the most important thing that too many games today forget about until a month before launch: The Gameplay. What it may be lacking in the number of bullet points under its features list, it more than makes up for with high standards and quality of what really matters.

People claiming it's a "camping game" don't understand cover-based shooters. It's not camping if you're advancing from cover to cover while assaulting an objective; it's tactical. Most people I've met who didn't like the game didn't stay with it past a few rounds. The game has a steep learning curve and you either push yourself to learn to play or you load of the latest re-skinned enumeration in the CoD franchise and plug yourself back into the meat grinder.

This isn't CoD. Don't expect it to be. You need to work as a team, communicate, and focus your effort on the objective. If you just want to drop MOABs on people and run headlong into claymores after instantly respawning, then this probably won't quench your thirst.

But, if you're sick of CoD and its bajillion clones, then you're probably hungry for something like GRO to sink your teeth into.
  60. Oct 29, 2012
    Ghost Recon Online is a very in depth tactical experience. I (as a paintball lover) found this to be just as tactical and unforgiving as a competitive paintball match. I do reccomend to play with at least one person you know, for a solid reliance upon each other. As far as camping goes, teamwork eliminates that problem (if anyone wants to work together). The F2P system is the best I haveGhost Recon Online is a very in depth tactical experience. I (as a paintball lover) found this to be just as tactical and unforgiving as a competitive paintball match. I do reccomend to play with at least one person you know, for a solid reliance upon each other. As far as camping goes, teamwork eliminates that problem (if anyone wants to work together). The F2P system is the best I have ever seen, allowing anybody who has the patience to understand the game to be rewarded. Yes, run and gun will get you killed, so if you love COD and it's the best game in the world, avoid this game like the plauge. Any real fan of Ghost Recon Future Soldier will enjoy this due to it's numerous combat improvements and it's . I highly reccomend this game for any paintball player or a serious tactical gamer. If you are new to the genre, be patient. You will learn to love it. Expand
  61. Sep 8, 2012
    Game is **** Devs have a hard-on for camping and sniping. Map design? lol oh, you mean the hallways? Learning curve? lol for some...sure. Weapons are extremely imbalanced.
  62. Nov 12, 2013
    Tons of fun, excellent cover system, superb team play experience, unique class abilities, great maps. Cool weapons/ customizations, great community, A get-away from COD and Battlefield, a free triple A title. What more can you ask for...This game is the next big thing for shooters!
  63. Apr 11, 2013
    Extremely smart and engaging game, with a higher skillcap and better teamwork mechanics than any other shooters I've played. My only real concern with the title is that it's so completely not pay-to-win that I have no idea how Ubi is going to make any money with this exceptional free-to-play.
  64. Oct 27, 2012
    the game is like ghost recon future soldier but free 2 play .Also graphics, combination in weapons, equipment is fantastic. a very good imitation of ghost recon future solder. one thing i have to say for this game....excellent job GRO team...
  65. Feb 13, 2013
    FINALLY a good multiplayer tactical shooter. The shooting mechanics in this game forces you to take a tactical approach to every situation. It takes a lot of time to become accurate when aiming down the sight so you can't just 360 quickscope. Because of these mechanics you have to have people who do cover fire for those who try to push back the front line. CoD style run and gun will notFINALLY a good multiplayer tactical shooter. The shooting mechanics in this game forces you to take a tactical approach to every situation. It takes a lot of time to become accurate when aiming down the sight so you can't just 360 quickscope. Because of these mechanics you have to have people who do cover fire for those who try to push back the front line. CoD style run and gun will not work in this game, you have to use teamwork. The weapon customization is also incredible. You can fine tune every gun you have as much as you want. And these weapons feel GREAT. None of them feel like peashooters. Great game, try it, it's FREE. Expand
  66. Apr 19, 2014
    Cool animations, decent gunplay, and decent graphics. Decent, right?

Nowp, because its 100% pay to win. More than WarZ, more than Dota. More than Real life.
  67. Jul 22, 2013
    Okay, where to start.
    I find GRO a fun concept, its core mechanics executed pretty well. It's fun to run around and shoot things, levelling is fun, weapon customization is fun, different classes are fun, level design is (with exceptions) good enough and it should be a good F2P title, especially with amazing music taken from the first Ghost Recon, right? Right?
    Well hell no. The absolute
    Okay, where to start.
    Well hell no. The absolute gamebreaker is one: small playerbase and two: the existing playerbase is already levelled up so high it's nigh impossible to even scratch them, as they basically kill you instantly. The disproportion is incredibly awful, almost every match is a slaughterfest that will make you ragequit as you get killed over and over again because your level 5 character with his basic assault rifle can't hit a target from 50 meters and oneshot him instantly and the enemy has a pewpewgun that will rip you to shreds before you'll be able to even blink. The beginner matches for low levels I found really fun! Balanced, everyone had similar levels, no big differences in power. But when you hit level 5 (as far as I remember) you can't play the beginner matches anymore and you must play against everyone else. And basically everyone else has their characters maxed out and with some sweet 1337 equipment that makes your character look like a poor man's militia, not a soldier. It's because the balance between low tier and high tier equipment is, well, non-existant. High-tier dwarfs everything and when you jump into the non-beginner fray with your still brand-new shiny starter assault rifle you will get squashed, remains scooped up, put into a cannon and shot into the sea. The level design is not helping with it, camping spots are frequent and for well-equipped players on an underpopulated map (what happens always) it's a child's play to just take out the targets one by one as they are struggling to even leave their spawning spot. I played this game couple months ago and tried returning to it now. Nothing changed. And I have a feeling nothing will change in the future. Pity, because this game had a chance to become something really, really great. Try Firefall instead.
  68. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is definitely worth a try! And not to mention it is going on Steam soon and its F2P !! You will get addicted by the gameplay as it differs from the normal FPS shooters of today.

Highly recommand it if you are a fan of shooters!
  69. Apr 14, 2014
    With its launch, Ghost Recon Phantoms is now the best tactical, team based shooter in the online market.
    This game needs planning and communication among team members. It makes you feel you are part of the multi-player team rather than just an individual in an online shooter.

Definitely a worth investment, and way ahead of its past (70 metacritic is out of date!)
  70. Jan 14, 2014
    GR:O is a good online shooter, especially when it's free. The cover system is well designed and the maps are very innovative. The money (RP) system is a little frustrating because everything in the shop is just so expensive, so "they" are pretty much just forcing you to empty out you're wallet to buy the best weapons in the game.

But when it comes to raw gameplay, this game definitely

But when it comes to raw gameplay, this game definitely cut's it. It's easily addictive, after you past level 5, you'll just wanna keep advancing and keep playing.
  71. Apr 13, 2014
    muito bom o jogo, tem a captura de base como o bf e ainda contina com elementos da serie
    alem de ser free-to-play tem graficos excelentes e muito bem detalhados
    em fim, acho q pra quem é fan de games fps esse é indispensavel!
  72. Apr 13, 2014
    Game is good so far and has a ton of potential. Only a few maps so far but they are well laid out with numerous ways to get to the same area allowing fair game play and layout stops campers from picking people off. This is a game that will get better as time progresses.
  73. Apr 22, 2014
    Great game, Great gun and cover mechanic. I have spend over 50 hours on it. However beyond level 10 is basically unplayable due to the pay to win system. It doesn't matter how hard u grind you will never hav the similar level of kid against similar level player who spend hundreds of dollars on it. you will get so frustrated being constantly punished for not mistake of your own butGreat game, Great gun and cover mechanic. I have spend over 50 hours on it. However beyond level 10 is basically unplayable due to the pay to win system. It doesn't matter how hard u grind you will never hav the similar level of kid against similar level player who spend hundreds of dollars on it. you will get so frustrated being constantly punished for not mistake of your own but extremely overpowered pay upgrades and expensive guns. good game, but completely let down by the lack of balancing and levelling up structure. match making systems also rubbish, often placing multiple players with much much higher level kids against low level kids players. try this game if you like being raped by rich kids, otherwise avoid this disappointed. Expand
  74. May 23, 2014
    This game has very good concept but when it comes to execution,it has one of the poorest.Match making system is so flawed,there are two levels one is beginners (till lvl 8 ) then rest of the pack.so if start matchmaking after lvl 8 you may end very high level players with far far strong weapons and armor and they will just kill you like an insect.then there is another thing as this is F2P,This game has very good concept but when it comes to execution,it has one of the poorest.Match making system is so flawed,there are two levels one is beginners (till lvl 8 ) then rest of the pack.so if start matchmaking after lvl 8 you may end very high level players with far far strong weapons and armor and they will just kill you like an insect.then there is another thing as this is F2P, devs will sell weapons forged in asgard,which are impossible to beat.we all will be taking cover and those people will walk like a beast and kill you,then server crashes,freezes frequently but no one bothers to fix it.players keep reporting issues but developers just don't do anything.In-fact I had a hard time believing that there is a F2P game from ubisoft and thought UBIsoft has changed but once you get inside the game then only you will know its the same money sucking Ubisoft. Expand
  75. Apr 14, 2014
    Just 5 maps and they are too short, pathetic graphics, the gameplay is really bad and you need too much money to get gold points...

Go to hell ubisoft, i spit in your **** game
  76. Jul 11, 2014
    Ghost Recon: Phantoms doesn't know what it wants to be. The mobility system has you leaning against walls, under barricades, rolling around corners, and even firing while you slide across the ground. Sounds good, until we talk about the accuracy system. Accuracy is severely diminished in a "realistic" or "simulator" type fashion. It doesn't make sense to mix the gears of war style cover +Ghost Recon: Phantoms doesn't know what it wants to be. The mobility system has you leaning against walls, under barricades, rolling around corners, and even firing while you slide across the ground. Sounds good, until we talk about the accuracy system. Accuracy is severely diminished in a "realistic" or "simulator" type fashion. It doesn't make sense to mix the gears of war style cover + run and gun mobility systems just to slap huge accuracy penalties on mobility.

The game also relies heavily on micro-transactions. The type that give you silly advantages some would refer to as"pay to win" or "pay to be competitive.' The first five or six levels will have you fooled, as the matchmaking algorithm is pretty good about matching you with other newbies at that level. Around level 8 or so, you will learn that the player with the biggest wallet has the best score, every round. Micro-transactions are tied to fancier gear like grenades, and even arbitrary things like reload time. That's right, you can pay to reload your weapon faster. Some of the purchasable gear is outright ludicrous and will make you feel as if you are shooting at people with an airsoft gun. This game had an image and an idea, but lost it somewhere along the way. Still, these pay to win type games have shown success in the past, so I wouldn't doubt it if Ubisoft is turning a profit from this game. Continuing the way it is, no legitimate gamer or competitive league will ever take this title seriously. It's a shame there isn't some "Vanilla" game mode, where equipment is normalized. The core gameplay is quite satisfying, despite the movement and accuracy systems contradicting one another. It's a shame greed got in the way of what was once a promising title.
  77. Apr 1, 2013
    This is coming from an unbiased perspective and not really being a fan of the whole Tom Clancy thing, But wow does this game deliver in fresh tactics guns that actually have important stats like the time your gun is ready to shoot when coming from a slide. The map design although many are criticizing it is actually the best map design I've seen in a long while. The maps don't point outThis is coming from an unbiased perspective and not really being a fan of the whole Tom Clancy thing, But wow does this game deliver in fresh tactics guns that actually have important stats like the time your gun is ready to shoot when coming from a slide. The map design although many are criticizing it is actually the best map design I've seen in a long while. The maps don't point out perfect roots to flank from or buildings and cover to camp from. No instead you have to find it your self which I very much like. The graphics are some what above average. Average being compared to Halo 4 and Call of Duty. The community is very good in this game too. in most public games you will have people willing to strategize over a microphone instead the average game where people shut up and play. It also features a well rounded cover mechanic which just helps to keep the imminent strategy. I strongly recommend this game. It is only a multiplayer game, and is a free to play, you here that 60 Dollar Call of Duty free-to-play! Expand
  78. May 16, 2013
    Ghost Recon Online has to be one of the most polished TPS games I have played in quite some time. The amount of bad criticism I have seen has been quite surprising. I will try to cover a few topics I have heard issues with. Also this game has not had an updated review since the newer patches have been released as there is new content available.

First, The newest patch 0.11.0 of Ghost

First, The newest patch 0.11.0 of Ghost Recon Online has helped to dramatically reduce the amount of sniping in the games. Earlier reviews told of sniper camping being one of the main issues with this game and I can assure you that problem has been addressed in this patch. Beforehand the twitch shooting on sniper rifles was a big problem. Being able to quickly pan the screen with no sway on the rifle while zoomed was a big issue for anyone trying to change positions while under sniper pressure. Now when a sniper quickly pans over while aiming there is residual sway on the scope making it hard to twitch fire accurately. Also camping players in cover with the sniper rifles has become harder with the sway being increased while aiming. You can no longer hover your reticule over a players position waiting for them to pop out for a clean head shot easily. The sway constantly keeps the reticule moving so (without some skill) it is difficult to keep that reticule exactly where it needs to be. They have also gotten rid of the "Sniper Dance" exploit which is a big complaint from many that have played this game and with the countersniping. Many snipers were able to change from prone or crouch to a standing position while aiming with no movement in the reticules sway. This made it easy to line up a shot without having to worry about being sniped, easily pop up and shoot. Now there is a large amount of sway in the snipers reticule when switching positions. I believe that covers most of the basic problems with snipers.

Secondly, the amount of maps have been increased. There are now 6 regular playable maps, and 3 different game types. Also you can now (if you are in a clan) create a Clan Match to test out 3 beat maps that are currently still in development to give input on them while the mapmakers finish them. This lets the users give their insight into how they would like to see their maps look and feel. You are still not allowed to choose what map you play on unless you are creating a Clan vs Clan match but this is all part of GRO's matchmaking system. As a whole the maps are well balanced and you will always play at least 2 rounds as the teams switch sides just to make sure to keep it on an even keel (3 rounds when playing the "Holdout" game mode). These maps are well polished for a F2P game.

Third, the matchmaking system could use a bit of an update but all in all is not overly flawed. It gets quite annoying when you are not matched with players of the same skill level but that happens in any game you play. You are able to run a Fireteam with up to 3 other players of your choosing to help even the odds of the matches that you search for. At times the other players that you are paired with may not be of the same skill level as yourself which makes for a bad experience but should not be the overall consensus of the matchmaking system. This system is designed specifically to be as random as possible and to keep from making 8 player teams that specifically rule every game they play. Imagine if you were allowed to choose an 8 player Fireteam and you had to continually come in contact with 8 of the best players there. This would not be a very good experience either. This matchmaking system is there to improve your play not hinder it.

Lastly, the weapons in Ghost Recon Online are not as unbalanced as some have previously stated. The pricing is higher as the weapons get better and better which is, quite frankly, to be expected. In what game has a higher level weapon with a higher damage output and better control than a starter weapon not been much more expensive than a lower level weapon that you may be able to purchase after a few hours of play. This is not a uncommon occurrence. You must actually PLAY THE GAME in order to attain a higher level of weaponry. These weapons are not basically given to you because this is a F2P game. This game was not free to make and is made for the sole purpose of profit. Ubisoft spent time and money into this game and im sure they would enjoy to see profits in the end. Just because a game is free to play does not mean it is free to make. The "Ghost Coins" are a there to help other players that do not have the time to put in to attaining the amount of Requisition Points to attain some of the weaponry to essentially buy their way up. This is money for Ubisoft and helps the players this is not to destroy the gameplay but to help Ubisoft make a profit from a very respectable game.

All in all this game is a must for any seasoned veteran in the shooter genre. This is no run and gun COD shooter so please don't rate it as such. Tactics reign supreme in GRO
  79. Oct 6, 2013
    Truly a gem among online FPS experiences. Game play, graphics, UI and especially audio are slick and considering the game is still in early beta, getting better with every release. Game play mechanics favour strong team coordination and tactics and when executed properly, the game is exciting and rewarding. Lone wolf style play can work but many find it frustrating. The game features aTruly a gem among online FPS experiences. Game play, graphics, UI and especially audio are slick and considering the game is still in early beta, getting better with every release. Game play mechanics favour strong team coordination and tactics and when executed properly, the game is exciting and rewarding. Lone wolf style play can work but many find it frustrating. The game features a level based and tiered equipment system with a set of class specific qualifications and awards to unlock. Equipment and gear can be bought with earned points or with cash. Despite this, the stats between the lowest tier and highest tier Expand
  80. Oct 20, 2013
    Loving it. At first I got a little frustrated because you know, its a Pay to Win game, but then I found out that you can buy all the same stuff just with the points you get from playing (they do cost a bit more but not all that bad). Best of all, they appear to be infinite (not like combat arms where you would buy a gun to use for say, a month...). The game is really well made, has decentLoving it. At first I got a little frustrated because you know, its a Pay to Win game, but then I found out that you can buy all the same stuff just with the points you get from playing (they do cost a bit more but not all that bad). Best of all, they appear to be infinite (not like combat arms where you would buy a gun to use for say, a month...). The game is really well made, has decent graphics and is fun to play (oh ya, and its FREE). Yes it still does help if the other guy has tons of money to spend on guns but because of the point system you can still get better guns w/o paying) truly, I'd give it a 9.7 but that's not on the scale. Expand
  81. Feb 20, 2013
    This is a very nice tactical shooter with linear map design. However, they suit the style of gameplay well and don't detract from the overall experience very much. I always enjoy cover-based games like Mass Effect, so when I saw this game I was very stoked. The shooting mechanics are very nice, and it has a steep learning curve. This game is NOT P2P at all. I absolutely destroyed many ofThis is a very nice tactical shooter with linear map design. However, they suit the style of gameplay well and don't detract from the overall experience very much. I always enjoy cover-based games like Mass Effect, so when I saw this game I was very stoked. The shooting mechanics are very nice, and it has a steep learning curve. This game is NOT P2P at all. I absolutely destroyed many of my opponents with the default weapons. Tactical flanking is encouraged, so long, boring firefights are not common. Pick this game up, you won't regret it. Expand
  82. Nov 5, 2012
    This is a tactical shooter that uses active cover as a primary mechanic of the game. That being said, if you are a COD run and gunner, this game is not for you. If you try to run and gun, you will find your untimely death quite fast. Now, if you enjoy a more cerebral side of combat where squad tactics, stealth, and cover and concealment are a key part of success, then this is your game.This is a tactical shooter that uses active cover as a primary mechanic of the game. That being said, if you are a COD run and gunner, this game is not for you. If you try to run and gun, you will find your untimely death quite fast. Now, if you enjoy a more cerebral side of combat where squad tactics, stealth, and cover and concealment are a key part of success, then this is your game. Each of the 3 classes are very well matched and have their own strengths and weaknesses. To put it bluntly, there isn't a single class that is dominant. As you read the negative reviews, if you see keywords like camping, then you know they expected to be able to run and gun and got handled. It is free, give it a try. Expand
  83. Aug 27, 2013
    All I can say is this game is phenomenal! No words can describe my joy and satisfaction while playing this game. This is the only shooter that raises my heart rate, It is packed with action and the fights are really intense.

I played a lot of shooters in my life and Ghost Recon: Online just stands out from the rest. It is unique and mega-fun gaming experience that will keep you glued in your seats for hours. An amazing achievement from Ubisoft to have it on PC bringing back hardcore pc players.

What I really like:
    1. Solid gameplay and cover system
    2. Encourages team play and coordination (You can create/ join clans and fire teams)
    3. Outstanding weapon and character feel
    4. Great visuals with superb audio
    5. Map design is very good
    6. Friendly community

Why I gave it a 9:
    1. They need to release the full version!
    2. Match maker needs to be improved
    3. Rampant leavers
    4. Few cosmetics and character customizations
    5. No female character models!
  84. Apr 17, 2014
    This is a great game in a lot of way. its combat is fun and rewarding. game play is smooth and makes its self unique and distinct from other shooters. seriously was a blast to play up to about level 5. this was around the time I started seeing people with higher tier guns that they had purchased to unlock early. normally this is fine with me. if you want to invest to have a slightThis is a great game in a lot of way. its combat is fun and rewarding. game play is smooth and makes its self unique and distinct from other shooters. seriously was a blast to play up to about level 5. this was around the time I started seeing people with higher tier guns that they had purchased to unlock early. normally this is fine with me. if you want to invest to have a slight advantage early on please do. the problem is in Ghost Recon you do not pay for a slight advantage you pay and then are able to rape everyone. this game is the definition of pay to win, thus i give it a 3, simply because if a game is pay to win it means it is clearly a broken game at least from a free to play perspective. Expand
  85. Dec 31, 2012
    Its no doubt "UBISOFT" is one of top developers. Its first F2P title from them and its worth playing. Its best TPS ( third person shooter) right now and better then many FPS (first person shooter). And if you havent played yet why are you thinking its FREE!!!!! It aint gona cost you a peny
  86. Jun 23, 2013
    ghost recon onlin is best game online and he is free gameeeeee yeah freeeeeeeeee ******recon *****assult ****spesalist come to play this best game i love ghost recon online
  87. Nov 6, 2012
    Good game, But lags some times because of its peer to peer connections.
  88. Sep 10, 2014
    When did Ghost Recon become Tron with guns? This isn't Ghost Recon at all but rather a slick futuristic shooter with the Ghost Recon branding pasted over it. I have no problem with Free to Play games...when they're done right but this isn't done right at all. The graphics also need work. They don't look as spectacular as they could. This is a PC platform we're talking about, Ubisoft. ThereWhen did Ghost Recon become Tron with guns? This isn't Ghost Recon at all but rather a slick futuristic shooter with the Ghost Recon branding pasted over it. I have no problem with Free to Play games...when they're done right but this isn't done right at all. The graphics also need work. They don't look as spectacular as they could. This is a PC platform we're talking about, Ubisoft. There are other F2P shooters that look and play a million times better than this game and they've been around longer. What does that say?? Ubisoft had to wait until Tom Clancy was dead so that they could rape the Ghost Recon franchise and turn it into this abysmal pile of garbage because if he was still around, he wouldn't have signed off on it. Expand
  89. Aug 22, 2014
    The number 1 most realistic military shopping sim, where your spending can turn the tide of a battle. With full USD integration and a true bonus for wasting your cash, you'd be hardpressed to get a more realistic AAA wallet-trap anywhere else!

"WTF?! MY PROFITS?! WHY, UBISOFT? WHY STEAL MY CONCEPT?!" -Whoever the hell made Farmville
    "We've got to have... MONNAYE." -Various YouTube Poop
  90. Apr 15, 2014
    this game is great for a free game. If you somewhat grind you can upgrade weopans. each game gives you 1000 credits, and it'll take 12000-24000 credits to buy guns, and around 10000 to fully upgrade. so if you play a days worth, you can actually buy and upgrade a pretty sick gun. Great potential for team work, i say this cuz u need to play with people you know to have teamwork, nobodythis game is great for a free game. If you somewhat grind you can upgrade weopans. each game gives you 1000 credits, and it'll take 12000-24000 credits to buy guns, and around 10000 to fully upgrade. so if you play a days worth, you can actually buy and upgrade a pretty sick gun. Great potential for team work, i say this cuz u need to play with people you know to have teamwork, nobody talks. It's a 10/10 because i can find nothing wrong with it, it's not pay to win, and its not a huge grind to get things either, its the perfecrt middleground for microtransactions. if you like tactical gameplay and not just running and gunning, this is the game for you. cover system and camera are very good. Expand
  91. Sep 16, 2014
    They may as well call it Ghost Recon: Rich vs Poor (and good games vs bad games)
    In all seriousness, this game is headed downhill just like every other pay2win game that this industry is shoving down our throat. The gaming community will fail because of games like these.

We have to go back to the roots... release a full length quality game for the regular price of $59 with no DLCs or expansions or annoying micro-transactions.

I cannot believe people pay so much money on video games... makes me sick.
  92. Apr 24, 2014
    Great game! If you play any 3rd person shooters, you will like this. With some time and effort you will get it down in no time! this game IS all about COVER! really it is...Maps are ok, they seem to be a bit unbalenced. some at least. customization is awesome, and controls are great. even if you play with a controller! always you can make it to the way you play. the game is very slow paceGreat game! If you play any 3rd person shooters, you will like this. With some time and effort you will get it down in no time! this game IS all about COVER! really it is...Maps are ok, they seem to be a bit unbalenced. some at least. customization is awesome, and controls are great. even if you play with a controller! always you can make it to the way you play. the game is very slow pace at first, and when the snipers come out, oh boy, are you in some heat. take your time and master a class you want to really use. it is then then perks of that class come out. some time to get ahead...you still need to pay to play tho!! You dont need to be greedy! show some support and give them your money.. $14 bucks can go a long way. which really should be the price of the game.... but w.e. Expand
  93. Jun 15, 2014
    Terrible game featuring terrible lag (both ping and FPS) that encourages camping by allowing people to prone on borderline miniscule maps while also managing to fail immensively by not having a proper match-making in place.

The game may turn to a viable source of enjoyment if one partakes in the pay-2-win elements and significant amount of time-spending but other than that, it can be considered a complete failure.
  94. Jul 13, 2014
    2/10. Why?
    This WOULD be a refreshing game, and an honest to god working model for the vegas 1/2 style of cover/shoot fps hybrid that Ubisoft has been developing (rather poorly). and for about an hour, it is! Until you really start looking into what's going on.
    Because eventually you're going to meet the pay to win crowd. The people who will shell out 100 bucks to have a
    2/10. Why?

Because eventually you're going to meet the pay to win crowd.

The people who will shell out 100 bucks to have a basically untouchable build out on the level. A person you will empty a mag into and **** literally bounces off. Then they turn around and execute you.

There are glaring bugs that ubisoft are completely and utterly ignoring, exploits and downright cheats.

I don't even care about that. it's ubisoft's business model that sucks so bad, that this game is nearly un-enjoyable after an hour, after leveling your character past 5-6. They literally took a nice, balanced game, and **** all over it, if you pay tons of money. It's a piece of dog **** And what actually pisses me off, is it could be brilliant.
  95. Aug 4, 2014
    This game is fun until you are level 8 or higher because then.... it´s stupid Pay 2 Win game... I recomended to all gamers... don´t download this parody for game
  96. Oct 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has a HUGE PAY TO WIN WALL after you leave the beginners server. The matchmaking is random and the game pretty much FORCES you to spend real money if you want to keep up. They have new guns coming out all the time that are a little better than the set from the previous week. never any new maps though. The clan games are pointless. you can never find 2 clans ready to play. The way they sell you items is a huge scam. you get so many multiples of crap items. you never get your moneys worth..dont bother reaching out to UBISOFT for support or complaints with this game as it is hosted in signapore and not the Normal US branch so customer service will do nothing to help you and are rude. they will take money out of your in game wallet bcuz they feel like it. no money back. play CS:GO instead. at least the items you buy in that game you can turn around and sell for real money Expand
  97. Jan 28, 2015
    PROS:
    - I cant remember any.
    CONS: - A very few maps, all of them are just corridors. - Everybody are camping and sniping on the same places all the time. - Paying customers are hugely privileged with ammo, damage, armor, etc.. (Pay to Win!) - To get anything you need to play same three maps over and over again, because retarded children always vote for most sniping friendly
    PROS:
    - I cant remember any.

CONS:
    - A very few maps, all of them are just corridors.
    - Everybody are camping and sniping on the same places all the time.
    - To get anything you need to play same three maps over and over again, because retarded children always vote for most sniping friendly maps...
    - Graphic looks like from year 2000.
    - No advanced graphic settings.
    - No adjustable FOV.
    - Very low res textures.
    - Horrible weapon sounds.
    - No memorable music.

The game while presented "free to play", is definitely just "pay to play" or "pain to play". It is just a quick cashgrab.
  98. Jul 20, 2014
    Great controls. My only real gripe is people get bogged down in shoot outs but thats ok cuz ill run up on them and bunker them good. Great graphics and not hard to earn free credits to buy the guns. Not really pay to win though it looks like it from the onstart.

gg
  99. May 7, 2014
    Coming from a Rogue Spear/Raven Shield background. I demand a little more from shooter games, hence I installed this game. Had my reservations (nearly all modern games, i.e. all hype and no substance have shaped this cynicism) and I was not wrong. Played for about 3 mins, uninstalled without a moments hesitation.

I won't tell you why this game is piss, because that would require a lot

I won't tell you why this game is piss, because that would require a lot energy, something this game doesn't deserve.

If you demand more from games and have a shred of self-respect you will know this game is terrible. If you are a child without a brain and think everything is "awesome", then you will no doubt find something good here (I think this kind of sums up the mainstay of the current gaming market given all the 10/10s - I mean wtf is wrong gamers these days? How can so many people just hand out 10 like they're **** candy? Unless they're just seriously stupid, easy to please, or working behind the scenes - now there's an old thought.

Bottom line:
    If you liked Rogue Spear, Raven Shield, Counter Strike stay the **** away from this dribble. The only reason it gets a 2/10 is because it's free and uninstalls really quickly.
  100. Sep 18, 2014
    This game is very similiar to Gears of war in its gameplay alltho this one has slightly superior one. I have had such an amazing time playing this game and I honestly dont think this is a Pay2win title while others do. Personally i have had no problem being top of the ranks and earning multiple MVP medals with just the tier 1 items. I can see that some weapons in the top tier are almostThis game is very similiar to Gears of war in its gameplay alltho this one has slightly superior one. I have had such an amazing time playing this game and I honestly dont think this is a Pay2win title while others do. Personally i have had no problem being top of the ranks and earning multiple MVP medals with just the tier 1 items. I can see that some weapons in the top tier are almost strictly better than your starting gear but I dont see too much of a problem in that because the matchmaking seems quite balanced during busy hours of gameplay and i rarely see any one hit kill snipers or other "super weapons". But when you do see that guy with pimpd out gear it does piss you off but those are rare and far between and they still die to your regular bullets unlike in free2play games like World of tanks where your only balanced bullets have to be bought with real money. I'd give it 10 but the limited game modes and maps (still many for a free to play) make it bit repetitive if you play it more than 2h in a day. Expand

1. May 19, 2014
    It's basically the same game as Ghost Recon Online but with not so many more maps: a third person shooter that aims to be tactical without being able to provide fun for more than a few hours. It deserves to be tried only because it's free and nothing else.
  2. May 16, 2014
    Classes and skills are well-balanced, and even though you’ll cycle through the small map selection quickly, they offer enough possibilities to stave off fatigue until Ubisoft adds more arenas. With more modes and maps, Phantoms would be a formidable offering, but it’s worth dipping into until then.
  3. Apr 30, 2014
    Considering this is completely free to play, Phantoms has a lot to offer in terms of tight controls, nifty cooperation and a neat ranking system. Given the fact that it will keep evolving, it looks like fans will have good reason to stay.