3.7

1. Dec 5, 2010
    I enjoyed playing the original HAWX. So i invested 50 bucks in this game. I am a bit disapointed. Good: Nice gameplay, i really enjoyed the night vision levels, where you are flying a gun high in the sky and protecting the land troops.(Also seen in Modern warfare). You also get to take of and land in this game, which is pretty exciting to do. Important to know that if you want to enjoyI enjoyed playing the original HAWX. So i invested 50 bucks in this game. I am a bit disapointed. Good: Nice gameplay, i really enjoyed the night vision levels, where you are flying a gun high in the sky and protecting the land troops.(Also seen in Modern warfare). You also get to take of and land in this game, which is pretty exciting to do. Important to know that if you want to enjoy this game you should really use a joystick or gamepad.
    Bad: It looks like i bought a beta version, there are still a few bugs that can really annoy you. For example: the Ubisoft security system does not allow the game to be played when you are offline, so every time my wireless connection drops the game is paused, and restarts from the last checkpoint when i reconnect to the internet. I am not really sure that it is my internet connection or the ubisoft server that disconnects.... still that doesn't make it less annoying. Especially when you are almost through a difficult stage of the game. Secondly i found it very difficult to use my gamepad in this game. I had to restart the game and sometimes even my whole pc to be able to use the joystick. Final complaint is the long loading time when you start the game. The security system that is build to prevent piracy is now actually making it more attractive to play an illegal copy of this game. Not a very smart move from Ubisoft in my humble opinion.
    When an update arrives that solves the problems i would probably rate it higher.
  2. Dec 1, 2011
    More polished graphics and a story plot extended to other nations and the terrain is also detailed and based off real world locations. But, the good really ends here. This is a obvious console port. This game unlike the original HAWX has bugs that need to me worked out, and the added game launcher just adds additional issues. The sounds and music have not changed which is sad since theMore polished graphics and a story plot extended to other nations and the terrain is also detailed and based off real world locations. But, the good really ends here. This is a obvious console port. This game unlike the original HAWX has bugs that need to me worked out, and the added game launcher just adds additional issues. The sounds and music have not changed which is sad since the original HAWX still had poor quality music and sound effects. The overall game play mechanics have not been improved. The HUD is also overly done which can be visually obstructing. Plus the unrealistic flight characteristics of the enemy including large bomber pulling off fighter plane maneuvers will leave you asking... what? But, it is still fun to play if you love to fly and dogfight, just dont expect a real life experience. Expand
  3. Dec 4, 2010
    This game is pathetic. Controls are jerky even after numerous adjustments. Storyline is horrible. Gameplay in the original HAWX was much better. Heat-seeking missles can't seem to find heat sources. If you have the original HAWX, don't expect this game to be similar. Instead of giving an enjoyable gameplay experience, Ubisoft made this game a chore to play. I will be uninstallingThis game is pathetic. Controls are jerky even after numerous adjustments. Storyline is horrible. Gameplay in the original HAWX was much better. Heat-seeking missles can't seem to find heat sources. If you have the original HAWX, don't expect this game to be similar. Instead of giving an enjoyable gameplay experience, Ubisoft made this game a chore to play. I will be uninstalling this pathetic attempt at entertainment. It reminds me of Operation Flashpoint 2 (Dragon Rising) trying to make money off of Operation Flashpoint's success. Expand
  4. Feb 11, 2011
    I really didn't realize you could make any flight sim more boring (and broken). MS flight simulator is more interesting than this turd.

The story got copy pasted out of cliches. Controls are jerky. Missions are boring at best and broken at worst.
  5. May 6, 2011
    Not an enjoyable play. As others have mentioned story is weak, controls are marginal at best. If you have to play this one, definitely wait for the bargain bin.
  6. Dec 4, 2011
    This is a very broken game. I can't imagine Ubisoft would make such an incomplete title. As the only good *entertainment-grade* modern aerial warfare game that can be played on PC, HAWX was a fair title for its price and the Tom Clancy brand, so I've waited for HAWX 2 and let's see what we've get: a ridiculous beginning as if you were playing Condition Zero: Deleted Scenes or any otherThis is a very broken game. I can't imagine Ubisoft would make such an incomplete title. As the only good *entertainment-grade* modern aerial warfare game that can be played on PC, HAWX was a fair title for its price and the Tom Clancy brand, so I've waited for HAWX 2 and let's see what we've get: a ridiculous beginning as if you were playing Condition Zero: Deleted Scenes or any other absurd modern warfare game coming out from nowhere. Bad, lazy, obviously low-budgeted cutscenes and menu. Supposedly-should-be-better-but-actually-awful graphics. Maybe you've got disappointed in Ace Combat 6 but got a slight hope from HAWX, but HAWX 2 would definitely let you down till the deepest of abyss. Please, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. A refund should be worthy, though. Expand
  7. Dec 5, 2011
    I signed up for metacritic just to write a bad review for this game. I paid $10 for this poor excuse for an arcade combat flight sim and I feel cheated. The first thing a publisher should realise and you will notice when and if you can get this game working is that the primary idea should be to make the aircraft an enjoyable thing to fly. This is a lame console port with no effort orI signed up for metacritic just to write a bad review for this game. I paid $10 for this poor excuse for an arcade combat flight sim and I feel cheated. The first thing a publisher should realise and you will notice when and if you can get this game working is that the primary idea should be to make the aircraft an enjoyable thing to fly. This is a lame console port with no effort or testing put into the end product. The plane is simply frustratingly boring to fly. The controls are awkward. It does not have a fluid motion to flight at all. It feels more like a old arcade game for 50 cents in the early 90's than a game that was made in the 21st century. Junk. The graphics are only marginally better. My machine can run them at max (I have a moderately fast computer) and they look dated and tired. Low res textures on the ground, moderate **** graphics, and the airplane isn't that great to look at either. The 2 parts I actually liked and I gave it 2 points for each were the mountains/terrain and the variety of missions. The terrain gives you some fun under the radar flight, until you remember the poor controls. They also take you out of the **** and thats a nice change. I could find nothing exciting about the story line at all to comment about. Tom Clancy should not endorse product like this. That name brand has really taken a hit as of late with some poor titles and this one really takes the cake. Can I get a refund? Maybe in store credit please?! Expand
  8. Jan 1, 2012
    This game was a huge disappointment. The fact that you cannot change your plane during the first play-through is just stupid and frustrating. Not being able to change the plane load-out until you gain xp with that plane is also stupid. The worst part are the missions that take place behind a UAV or a mounted gun...yeah I bought a flight game to not fly...genius. I hate the wholeThis game was a huge disappointment. The fact that you cannot change your plane during the first play-through is just stupid and frustrating. Not being able to change the plane load-out until you gain xp with that plane is also stupid. The worst part are the missions that take place behind a UAV or a mounted gun...yeah I bought a flight game to not fly...genius. I hate the whole bombing thing too, I see some ground targets and think "cool I get to go fly low and take these things out" but no, switch to autopilot in the middle of a mission to aim and shoot... The missions objectives are just ridiculous sometimes, I find myself fighting against the game just to complete the objectives. After all the updates the game is still broken, lots of bugs. The graphics are barely an improvement over the original, maybe not even improved. Most missions I don't even use the "flight assistance off" because they don't really provide a situation that warrants its use. I got this game for 7 bucks on steam and feel ripped off. I feel like developers did not even try. If you want to enjoy the HAWX universe, just play the first one. Expand
  9. Nov 14, 2014
    Okay... Hawx 2... i remenber i was thinking of buying this game since i got my eyes on it,because it looked similiar to Ace combat,and at the Time it was the only game that followed that on this aspect,and as i had already Hawx1 that was an Good game for me,i was willing to give it a shot.

So,is this a good game or not?! ern... yeah... in some aspects. First let's focus on the

So,is this a good game or not?! ern... yeah... in some aspects.

First let's focus on the History:

Blah Blah Blah of every single war game... Russians getting betrayed and a coup d'etat happens... with a bit of Middle eastern terrorists in between... so NO, The History is definitively a Con to this game. The creators could do Much... Much... MUCH MORE with the history. i'm tired of seeing Russia as only the Bad Guy in every single game... and i think you all know that i LOVE the Sukhoi jets... so,kill them makes me Very,very,very sad. it is a Step Backwards in my opnion,because i liked the history of HAWX 1, the Antares Plot and Everything... it made me feel that taste of Corporate wars i didn't in quite some time(ACE 3 JP)... but then,UBISOFT and Tom Clancy Slap this Generic History in my face,that i've seen a million times... for me, a good Arcade Flight simulator has to have an original history. and this Fails in every level. the only good thing is that i got to fly with the Russian Pilot... for a total of 3 Missions... and only in one i could use a SU-27... Shame on you Ubisoft.

Okay... i ranted too much... History... History... but what about the Gameplay?! is it as good as Hawx 1 or the Ace series?!
    On this aspect i'm glad to say that YES. in every aspect the Gameplay has evolved. I can now actually control my plane the way i always wanted... even stalling strategically without the need of that annoying OFF System,and even trough it exists, it is now Completelly Optional. i Finished the game without using it,and this control beign optional is Better for it. you can now land and take off on a dime,what i thought should be a default since Hawx 1,but it is a Nice Addition,and it made the game for the best. The Weapons have more realistic Loadsets,so you might want to make sure that every shot counts,or you will see yourself without missiles and relying on the Machine-gun to take that fast enemies... not a pretty sight i must say... but you can land strategically to rearm and repair your plane,what is a good add (it even made me remind of Ace 4 and Assault horizon as i land in the middle of the battle) but this landing system needs polish... because some times i'm sure i fully stoped my plane,but the Idiots on the Ground Crew don't come to rearm and Refuel me,while i'm being Murdered from above. so Ubisoft might still need to pack this up. but i got to mention as a F*ck up at release.

Okay... Music?! Generic Battle themes repeated over...and over... and over... and over again... so don't expect project aces sond quality... you'll not find any memorable music... hell... sometimes i've put my own tracks on the game.

and of course the AC130 and Drone/Glide Missions... meh... But it's there,and adds to the game.

My final Veredict: 7.5/10
    if you looking for a game that looks like Ace combat,Give it a try... but be warned of what i've said to you.
  10. Dec 31, 2010
    Great game, poor format. You cannot play unless you have internet access and it seems ubi's support is less than sympathetic for resolving issues. First HAWX was great. That is why I wanted HAWX2. Unfortunately, digital download means if ubi's site is running poorly, you can't play. I asked them for a dvd to play the game independent (for $54 you should get something!) and theyGreat game, poor format. You cannot play unless you have internet access and it seems ubi's support is less than sympathetic for resolving issues. First HAWX was great. That is why I wanted HAWX2. Unfortunately, digital download means if ubi's site is running poorly, you can't play. I asked them for a dvd to play the game independent (for $54 you should get something!) and they refused, saying they believe it's a better "gaming experience online". They threw a bunch of high tech chatter at me, telling me it was a problem on my end, but I am not a computer guru and shouldn't have to be just to play a game. The way I see it, you pay your money and play the game. That's the way it should be. So...don't purchase the digital download of this game unless you are a high tech computer guru that has the knowlege to alter your computer settings before playing the game. And don't expect ubi to resolve issues. They only respond when they feel like it. On the other hand, when the game does run, it is great. It has all the characteristics of the first HAWX plus now you get to take off and land on many of the missions. The graphics are outstanding, too. Expand
  11. Feb 16, 2011
    This is a MEDIOCRE game! The 1st HAWX was ok and you had ERS for targeting. Now ERS is no longer ERS and used only for stupid landing and refueling??!! HORRIBLE! Cheap! And what more, in many missions, the brain dead programmer let the BOT planes have UNLIMTIED Flares? So you are stuck playing a stupid "machine gun" canon game with a stealth fighter, LOL? This game deserves a NEGATIVE score!
  12. Jun 25, 2011
    Definately THE, BEST, air warfare game. After spending years on IL-strumovic, this is now my favorite Joystick enabled game. I use Logitech Attack 3, defaults work great! This is so enjoyable, the grafics is awsome,the AI is very respectable. Thanks so much the the dev team, the project managers and Ubisoft for such a great title!!
  13. Jun 1, 2011
    - online mod is buged
    - stupid enemy KI
    - missing wingmen control like in HAWX 1
    - missing Ubisoft Game Launcher in the Steam version
    - missing hangar from Hawx 1
    - sometimes weapon choice doesn't fits to the mission (Air-Air weapons in a mission where 90% of the targets are at the ground... lol)

- bad copyright policy
  14. Jun 27, 2014
    This is a prime example of where Sequels burn up in a fire and die. I remember playing the first H.A.W.X. and loved it, but this was so damn annoying. They added some new features like landing to resupply, but half the time, if you do this, you run out of time and fail the missing. The forced planes are even more annoying. I swear I flew the **** Harrier for half the game.

The game

The game lacked almost everything that made the first awesome. I remember playing the last mission on co-op, if was so **** and not even worth it (even funnier, my friend crashed during the final cutscene).

I wish I could have gotten my money back.

Oh yeah and online play, just go all guns. Players can dodge your missiles without even trying. I just rolled an A-10 with all the possible machine guns and took them head on.

A game stripped of it's glory in every way. I barely remember it anymore, that's how long ago I stopped playing.
  15. Feb 20, 2013
    I got this game from Steam for £8, what a bargain! A shame there's no mention that a uplay account is needed before you can play it! I've had no problems with bugs as mentioned in other reviews, the controls (with xbox-pad) are very sensitive, and take a little bit of time to get a feel for them, (compared to the original Hawx) but I thought the gameplay was a good example of gameI got this game from Steam for £8, what a bargain! A shame there's no mention that a uplay account is needed before you can play it! I've had no problems with bugs as mentioned in other reviews, the controls (with xbox-pad) are very sensitive, and take a little bit of time to get a feel for them, (compared to the original Hawx) but I thought the gameplay was a good example of game "evolution". This is NOT a sim, if a faithful reproduction is what you're after, try DCS A10C or similar, but this (IMHO) is a very enjoyable "arcadey" game. Yes there are parts when you're a gunner on a Spectre gunship or an operator of a drone/satellite, but I don't recall many complaints when this was done in COD4, and it just brings a little variety. Overall pretty good gameplay and not bad graphics, especially if you're running it in DirectX 11, for me a definite step up from H.A.W.X. Bargain for less than a tenner (£10) Expand
  16. Dec 4, 2014
    Game includes always-on DRM. An internet connection is required for singleplayer mode. This review must be 150 characters long, so here is some padding.
  17. Dec 22, 2012
    First things first, Uplay is a JOKE.

This is one of the most unstable, buggy game I've ever seen, can't quit the game properly, it choose to stuck in my memory for no reason. I have to reboot to get rid of it from my memory. Controller don't work, I have a flight stick connected and it choose to use my keyboard instead, way to go UBISOFT, you suck at PC resales. And you wonder why
    First things first, Uplay is a JOKE.

Controller don't work, I have a flight stick connected and it choose to use my keyboard instead, way to go UBISOFT, you suck at PC resales. And you wonder why PC version don't sale as good as console? Because you don't put efforts in it that's why. Your game don't worth my money, it doesn't even matter how good the game itself, technical side don't work and the game don't work.
  18. Dec 22, 2012
    This game is completely broken. Its a piece of **** and a waste of time. Once you have finished the 6GB download from steam it takes an additional hour before you can play, and then all the graphics are broken and none of the mission objectives appear.
  19. Aug 17, 2013
    Hugely dissapointed as the first game was miles better. This game is pathetic. Controls are jerky even after numerous adjustments. Storyline is horrible. Gameplay in the original HAWX was much better. Heat-seeking missles can't seem to find heat sources. If you have the original HAWX, don't expect this game to be similar. Instead of giving an enjoyable gameplay experience, Ubisoft madeHugely dissapointed as the first game was miles better. This game is pathetic. Controls are jerky even after numerous adjustments. Storyline is horrible. Gameplay in the original HAWX was much better. Heat-seeking missles can't seem to find heat sources. If you have the original HAWX, don't expect this game to be similar. Instead of giving an enjoyable gameplay experience, Ubisoft made this game a chore to play. I will be uninstalling this pathetic attempt at entertainment. Expand
  20. May 20, 2017
    Sadly, a slip in quality from its predecessor (itself a mediocre yet crazy-fun action game). The designers hedged their bets with some flight-sim-ish features to the game like take off and landing, which ultimately detracted from mindless-action it should be good for.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 12 Critic Reviews

1. PC Format
    Mar 18, 2011
    Some fun to be had in amongst the tedium. [Apr 2011, p.102]
    So even though HAWX 2 is a step forward when compared to its predecessor, it's brought down by an almost empty multiplayer, despite the numerous options, a boring single-player and a pretty "dense" AI when it comes to allies, while the enemies do their job very well, ironically. So well, in fact, that you'll be tempted to stick a fork in it and finish the story in co-op, which ultimately is a good thing. Too bad this decision is encouraged in such a brutal manner.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 11, 2011
    Fun without the fundamentals, a simpering sim with irritating copy protection. [Feb 2011, p.58]