5.9

1. May 12, 2015
    First and foremost I want to praise the outstanding soundtrack and art direction. They are a quite amazing feat, coming from a small unknown studio. If you like art games like Ico or Journey, you should feel right at home.

However, the gameplay could use a little more variety as some mechanics are very simple and the puzzles take almost no effort to finish. The combat would also benefit of some fine tuning as well as there are few enemies and you can just avoid them if you so wish. The boss battles, on the other hand, are very creative and fun, especially the final one. This is a game that starts out slow and just gets better as you progress through it.

The story, while confusing at first, seems to have something going for it. It may take a 2nd playthrough to understand all its subtext and because it's short (2 to 3 hours, I believe) it actually adds to its replayability.

I recommend to all those who like art game, puzzle plataformers or slow games in general. There are no AAA action packed sequences here so beware.
  2. May 12, 2015
    I got good feelings about this game, since the first time I saw it. IMHO a piece of art and poetry ina a game´s shape. Good history, puzzles and a lot of beautiful landscapes. Recommended.
  3. May 12, 2015
    You know when a game is good when Gamespot gives it a 5 or below. Gorgeous game in the ICO style, charming and simple. The graphics are great (no anti-alias) hoping the devs fix it, will try to see if I can get my nVidia card to FXAA. For the price it's a really good buy, I guess most reviewers (gamespot) are so tired from playing piles of crap for hours on end they dont know a good gameYou know when a game is good when Gamespot gives it a 5 or below. Gorgeous game in the ICO style, charming and simple. The graphics are great (no anti-alias) hoping the devs fix it, will try to see if I can get my nVidia card to FXAA. For the price it's a really good buy, I guess most reviewers (gamespot) are so tired from playing piles of crap for hours on end they dont know a good game when it slaps them across the face.

4. May 12, 2015
    Toren is wonderful , a beautiful game to watch, with a dense and captivating history , scenery and unique soundtrack, Toren has everything to be a classic for all ages
  5. May 12, 2015
    Muito Bom!
    História muito bonita, e gameplay divertida e simples!
    Lembra muito ICO...
    Audio FANTÁSTICO
    Recomendo a todos darem uma oportunidade ao game!
  6. May 13, 2015
    Uma experiência fascinante, parece que estamos jogando uma lenda, um sonho, é isso que toren nos trás, deixar de jogar esse jogo é talvez deixar de ter uma das experiências mais sublimes no universo dos games, com certeza esses que deram notas vermelhas jogaram de muita má fé, pois o jogo é um indie incrível.

A fascinating experience, it seems we're playing a legend, a dream, that's

A fascinating experience, it seems we're playing a legend, a dream, that's what toren goes on, not playing this game is maybe not have one of the most sublime experiences in the world of games, certainly those who gave red notes played much bad faith, because the game is an incredible indie.
  7. May 12, 2015
    To fully appreciate Toren you have to look it at the gameplay, story and sound as a whole. It is a game where every aspect works to build an emotionally engaging experience as you guide Moonchild through the peril of the tower and dream world. It doesn't try to keep you stuck with harder than life puzzles, monsters and whatnot, it keeps you in the flow of the story, it is crafted to keepTo fully appreciate Toren you have to look it at the gameplay, story and sound as a whole. It is a game where every aspect works to build an emotionally engaging experience as you guide Moonchild through the peril of the tower and dream world. It doesn't try to keep you stuck with harder than life puzzles, monsters and whatnot, it keeps you in the flow of the story, it is crafted to keep everything you do through the game in your memory by the time you finish it and really care for your little adventurous girl. Play this game with an open mind and you won't regret it. Recommended for sure! Expand
  8. May 12, 2015
    Toren is an experience authentic, beautiful landscapes, a soundtrack of breathtaking and a clever mechanic. Surely 10. It deserves to be played. Recommended.
  9. Woa
    May 12, 2015
    Great game at all.
    Must buy
    Toren is an experience authentic, beautiful landscapes, a soundtrack of breathtaking and a clever mechanic.I got good feelings about this game, since the first time I saw it. Recommended.
  10. May 13, 2015
    Positives:
    Graphics / Art / Atmosphere: Awesome;
    Soundtrack: Wonderful; History: very interesting, it seems like an old Indian legend; Negative Points: Bugs few, very few, not disrupting the game in any way, but it is quite possible to be noticed; Although the history is good the narrative is not as good, and makes a great story somewhat difficult to understand. About
    Positives:
    Graphics / Art / Atmosphere: Awesome;
    Soundtrack: Wonderful;
    History: very interesting, it seems like an old Indian legend;

Negative Points:

About Gameplay, though he is not fantastic or innovative, is not bad, delivers what it promises, then, unless u go play expecting a fps, u must like the gameplay.

So why all the qualities of this beautiful game, and considering being an indie, in my humble and personal opinion, I advise everyone to buy, a true work of art that can be compared to games like ico and the journey, respecting the proper proportions .
  11. May 13, 2015
    No one can honestly be disappointed with this game, art, ambiance and the soundtrack are better than most of the big games, big companies can buy it without fear, will not regret it.
  12. May 13, 2015
    Uma experiência maravilhosa, Toren nos imerge em um universo fantástico, não é perfeito, mas para um indie vale cada centavo, e seria injusto uma nota menor que 10.
  13. May 15, 2015
    Toren
    A beautiful adventure
    Toren is a mix of Journey and Ico minus the puzzles and combat ico has. Toren is all about the climb. The climb through life and the climb up a tower. The entire game is one giant metaphor. Toren starts you out as a new born and you gradually age as the game progresses. As you progress through the world you will enter dream sequences, some which are
    Toren
    A beautiful adventure
    Toren is a mix of Journey and Ico minus the puzzles and combat ico has.
    Toren is all about the climb.
    The climb through life and the climb up a tower.
    The entire game is one giant metaphor.
    As you progress through the world you will enter dream sequences, some which are hidden that will give you more insight and more pieces to the much larger puzzle.
    These dream sequences are just as gorgeous as the main game.
    There are a few secrets that can be found in the world of Toren, but only a few, this is a very small game.
    These secrets are for the most part missable, but not necessary.
    They will definitely help you out a little bit along your journey though.
    Toren is basically a platforming adventure like journey with little to no combat, and no real puzzles which makes for a relaxing time, something I can truly appreciate.
    A few challenges thrown at you, but nothing you wont instantly understand the moment you slip up.
    But handles and looks more like Ico.
    That being said, controls feel a bit stiff, and the game is a tiny bit buggy, nothing that will cause problems, but there are definitely a few noticeable hickups.
    Toren is a great journey and a beautiful game, but still I find it difficult to call this a game rather than an experience.
    However whatever you want to call it,
    Toren offers a 2 hour experience that is well worth your time.
    For what it is
    an adventure game 8.5/10
    overall 8/10
  14. May 16, 2015
    Toren possui uma ótima história, mas para aprecia-la deve lhe ser dada uma atenção considerável, pois é bem complexa, tanto que ela é uma grande responsável pelo fator de replay, pois é muito difícil complende-la na primeira visita.
    A ambientação é ótima, possuindo um bom nível de detalhes, tendo bons efeitos de luz, chuva e ventania; pórem em algumas partes o cenário demora para ser carregado, mas mesmo assim o saldo é positivo. As partes que se passam dentro dos sonhos da protagonista merecem um elogio especial, pelos seus ambientes estarem bem sintonizados com as mensagens passadas pelo jogo, um exemplo é o deserto, que reflete a renuncia dos sentimentos para se alcançar algo, outro está no sonho que se refere a beleza, nele é mostrada a verdade que existe por trás dela ( referindo-se ,principalmente, em relação aos ideários).
    A trilha sonora é maravilhosa, não há como se descrever com fidelidade a sensação que tive na última sequência do jogo.
    Às lutas contra o dragão são bem desenvolvidas e emocionantes, mas em relação aos outros inimigos .... era melhor nem existirem, aconselho aos produtores melhorarem esse aspecto no seu próximo trabalho.
    Em relação as sequências de plataforma, elas são boas, mas aconselho aos produtores que no seu próximo trabalho as tornem mais desafiantes, e acrecentem enigmas com uma boa dificuldade.
    Existem um bom número de bugs, mas não chegam a impedir o avanço no jogo, não tirando assim o seu brilho.
    Recomendo fortemente a compra para jogadores que gostam de uma história que trás boas reflexões, se só gosta de assisti-la também recomendo, mas se gosta apenas de jogos com bons combates e momentos eletrizantes, passe longe.
  15. May 17, 2015
    Gorgeous game, should be a contender for Best Art Direction and Best Music next year.
    Around two hours play time, but at seven bucks on GOG, it's cheaper than a movie and better than most. The only drawback are some bugs. I had to reload checkpoints a couple of times because of game bugs and that was a bit frustrating. But for an indie game, that's not surprising.
    This is a game to
    This is a game to immerse yourself in the world and music, not for rushing through. A work of art.
  16. May 17, 2015
    [DISCLAIMER: There will be some small spoilers up ahead. Also, I was a beta tester for some of the boss fights when the game was in it's development stage.]
    I really don't like scoring games over numbers, I feel this is a system that does not truly convey an interactive experience, nor I feel slicing a game on it's different systems is the way to truly say if a game is worth a look or not.

Rather, I like to look at the whole.

Toren is a game of simple mechanics. Perhaps 'subtle' is the word I am looking for, as in this is not a game defined by it's combo system Moonchild can do (despite having a sword at several points of the game and using it to actually hit and wound a Dragon), nor by the "salt the holy icons" moments the game have (which feel like a chore - both for us the players as well the character.)
    I'd argue these little mechanics help tell the story.

You salt the holy symbols because it's a purification ritual.
    You hide behind the statues because a terrible wind is blowing, and you do not want to fall down the platform.

The mechanics are there so you react and interact with the scenes and the story. Only when you confront the dragon there is a "fear", a "tension" that you might lose some short of progress (Well there are some platform/exploration that might end up resulting on your character death but those are uncommon).

So it's a game that doesn't want to train you or reward you for being awesome at platforms and most puzzles are basic - They often make sense in the logic of the world meaning they are really simple.

This leaves us with the center of Toren itself: It's story. It's message.
    Once you actually know that it's a story is about the cycle of reincarnation as seen by some gnostic sects, all the symbolism makes sense.
    All the concepts of the game match the mythos surrounding it, and the game ends with it beginning anew, as if you 'reincarnate' the experience to do all over again,

It's a game about learning 'truths' as seeing by said religious/cultural lens and navigating a beautiful world and having rituals that mark these learning experiences.

Which I guess makes Toren a "Narrative" game; A game where you do not play for it's sick jumping mechanics or kick ass sword combos, but by paying attention on it's muted and quiet story. Some reviews claim it's pretentious, yet all it does is take knowledge that exists outside the game and creating a symbolic experience for them.

If you wish to experience a story in which the gameplay helps convey some emotional moments for the experience, Toren is your jam. Take note it's a story that barely has any dialogues and it's marked by rituals. Trying to figure out said rituals was part of the fun for me, but your mileage may vary.

I truly feel even if you disagree with the game beliefs, seeing them executed in this form is interesting, unique even. I'd love to see more spiritual games like that being made, all sharing different point of views.

If anything I said here interested you, then take the game for a spin. It's cheap and in the short side length wise, you can beat it in about two hours and a half, perhaps more or less. But this game wasn't crafted to pad things up. It wishes to tell you a story, to show you a world, and then to give you the message that inspired the crafting of the story in the first place. And then it ends in a metaphor.
  17. Jan 16, 2016
    The bad : this game is short (2 hours), no replayability (no choice).

The decent : graphics, they get the job done, even a bit more since they fit the mood.

The good : ambiance, story, pad support (pc alright), music.

Rant : finishing this game was pleasant. It's short but cheaper (during sales) than going see a movie.
  18. Aug 1, 2015
    In this game you have a simple plot, climb the tower and save the world, but that's the part the make this game good, a simple history ,very well executed.
    You will se your main character grow , you will see beautiful environments and the most important, a beautiful story about a hero.
    But as every game, there's cons: -Poor animations -Feels strange to play in a keyboard As a

But as every game, there's cons:
    -Poor animations
    -Feels strange to play in a keyboard

As a indie game 10/10
    As a normal game 6/10
  19. Jan 4, 2017
    Estoy inflando la nota xd.
    Ahora en serio, por lo que he jugado y visto visual, y artísticamente es presioso 7u7.
    Me ha entretenido mucho y también divertido, que es lo importante en un videojuego.
    GG

Mixed or average reviews - based on 19 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 3, 2015
    Because it's such a small game, there isn't all that much to it; it's not a game with something for everyone. Still, even if you're interested, remember that the game is only two hours long, even though it's a very focused two hours, some people may feel they have overpaid for the amount of content they are given.
  2. CD-Action
    Jul 27, 2015
    Toren’s gameplay is so shallow and poorly executed that makes it more of a pretentious movie than a proper game. [08/2015, p.53]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 21, 2015
    This fairytale about the human journey to freedom is totally unfinished. It’s filled with technical issues and the gamplay is so terrible that even its great storyline can’t help the game at all.