6.9

1. May 19, 2021
    Slay the spire combined with XCOM. Several campaigns ranging from 60-240 minutes long. The right amount of punishing. Love it!
  2. Apr 13, 2021
    Incredible game. See my steam review: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198021782092/recommended/1038370/
  3. Jul 17, 2021
    Amazing how varied AND balanced this game is. I've had constantly fun for 50 hours playing this game and beating it on ''cataclysm 1'' is the most satisfying gaming moment I've had in a long time.
  4. Nov 26, 2021
    I enjoyed the deck building and card playing in the game, also appreciated the various different characters available for choose, with each having completely different playstyle. Graphic and effect are not good, stories and be repetitive after a few rounds, but overall it is an enjoyable game.
  5. Sep 28, 2021
    This game could have been so much better. The card based game play is great and there is a cool option to include your own character portraits and models. This is a must as the included character portraits are horrible especially for the warrior. It looks like a weird medusa like woman. However, bad unrealistic characters and bland repetitive story let this down. Graphics and effects andThis game could have been so much better. The card based game play is great and there is a cool option to include your own character portraits and models. This is a must as the included character portraits are horrible especially for the warrior. It looks like a weird medusa like woman. However, bad unrealistic characters and bland repetitive story let this down. Graphics and effects and pretty bad while the card art is nice. Feels like playing a game from the 90s in terms of quality and overall aesthetic. Again, excellent idea but very poorly executed. I hope they get a chance to make a sequel and improve on it. Expand
  6. Apr 11, 2021
    I used to love playing Magic The Gathering, but it become hard to keep up with the cards and find the time to play a game. I stumbled across this in early access and have been playing it over the past couple of years as the devs and the community shaped this into one hell of a game. It was great from the get-go, now it’s pretty much spot on. I must have put in 100 hours easily and everyI used to love playing Magic The Gathering, but it become hard to keep up with the cards and find the time to play a game. I stumbled across this in early access and have been playing it over the past couple of years as the devs and the community shaped this into one hell of a game. It was great from the get-go, now it’s pretty much spot on. I must have put in 100 hours easily and every time I play it, i learn something new, a trick, a new tactic. It’s immensely enjoyable and infinitely replayable. Expand
  7. Jun 12, 2021
    A outstanding game that is part Slay the Spire part Xcom, a lot of options and opportunities and the right punishment. A game that any Deck builder and Roguelike fan must play...

Generally favorable reviews - based on 15 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 22, 2022
    There are some rough spots with the UI, a bit of repetition with some overworld aspects, but nitpicks aside Trials of Fire was actually highly enjoyable both as a strategy game, and a deck builder. The fact the game has some strong Heroes of Might and Magic vibes going on is icing on the cake. The problem comes through that a single play (~2-4 hours) is about all it takes to get most out of the game. After that players likely won't be back.
  2. Jul 12, 2021
    Trials of Fire is a new legend for single-player strategy. Combining all the best of tactical board game combat, deck-building, and narrative, this game is a contender for best roguelikes available right now. It does have some flaws that keep me from recommending it categorically, but nothing that overwhelms the depth of strategy at play here. I have long been starved as a fan of turn-based combat, and Trials of Fire has finally erupted from the depths of the earth to satisfy that need.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Apr 22, 2021
    Even as playing boardgames in person becomes a reality once more, we suspect that Trials Of Fire's baggy charms will ensure it keeps us from the table on a fair few evenings to come. [Issue#358, p.110]