8.3

1. Sep 26, 2015
    I was honestly wondering why this game was getting such high scores. From screenshots & gameplay it didn't really seem all that amazing. Well, this is one of those games that you really can't judge by it's cover. It's got so much more to it than what's present on the store page. I urge you to NOT go too deep into learning about the game because spoilers will probably ruin it for you. IfI was honestly wondering why this game was getting such high scores. From screenshots & gameplay it didn't really seem all that amazing. Well, this is one of those games that you really can't judge by it's cover. It's got so much more to it than what's present on the store page. I urge you to NOT go too deep into learning about the game because spoilers will probably ruin it for you. If you enjoy RPG's, a great story, great gameplay, multiple endings or just a damn well polished good game it's a must have. Games like this just show that you don't need a AAA budget for AAA quality. Expand
  2. Sep 16, 2015
    Clever, fun, and full of heart. The closest comparison I can think of in tone are the Mother series, and the games of Yoshirou Kimura. The type of game that uses weirdness, humour and innocence to teach you something about how you approach games and maybe a little bit about yourself.
  3. Sep 26, 2015
    Never do I feel that there is a wasted moment in Undertale. Not in the writing, characters, etc.

Never.

This game is so undeniably pure, that you just have to stop and admire it.
  4. Oct 5, 2015
    This may be one of the most important games you ever play. It's a horror game masquerading as something cute and funny.

Reading some of the negative reviews, it's clear these reviewers either didn't touch the game or didn't give it a second glance. This game managed to move me and humble me and horrify me, and I am forever grateful for the experience. For the introspective soul, this

This game managed to move me and humble me and horrify me, and I am forever grateful for the experience. For the introspective soul, this is a title that will both warm your heart and keep you up at night. It will make you laugh, it might make you cry, but most importantly, it will make you think.

It also features some of the best boss fights I've ever had the pleasure of being pummeled by. While I don't recommend you "have a bad time," as it were, you're certain to run into what has to be one of the creepiest bosses since Giygas, only to unlock an even darker story underneath. The game is packed with absurd game design choices that will both surprise and delight.

This is my new favorite game. I cannot recommend it enough. And it's only $10. You don't have much to lose!
  5. Sep 26, 2015
    This game serves as 3 things: A great source of nostalgia for anyone who's ever played a Mother game, a middle finger to all of the AAA titles who spent more time on open world than creativity, and one of the greatest rpgs ever made and a clear case for game of the year.
  6. Sep 26, 2015
    This game is beyond perfect.

This game is beyond perfect.

This game is a giant middle finger to everything made since the dawn of gaming. It's...the standing RPG that I will judge all future "Story" driven games by. And, in my own personal opinion, Chrono Trigger doesn't come close to comparing to Undertale. Undertale does more to your look on life in an hour and thirty minutes than an entire series of games can try to do.

Strange, is it? I honestly don't think so. Undertale is the story of when Man becomes the Monster's monster.

You're a human child that falls down into the banished realm of the monsters. Every single thing you decide to do affects the lives of everyone around you. But not just them. How you are represented within this, too.

It's hard to really talk about the story, as, amazingly enough, the internet unanimously avoids spoiling the game. I will continue that gesture by not furthering your knowledge of the game. Instead, I will talk about what first caught my attention about this game.

The combat system.

You have "Fight"___"Act"___"Items"___"Mercy"___ at your disposal. Your fight option mechanic consists of timed button presses to do more damage than you should.

Items is self explanatory.

Act...and Mercy...

They are your non-combatant routes of dealing with foes. You can, in a strange idea, stop a monster from attacking you by telling a joke, stealing their hat, or getting close to a tsundere plane...but not too close.

You can choose to spare your foe, or flee altogether with Mercy. When a monster no longer wishes to fight, they will be able to be spared.

Although...You're not forced to stand still and take damage, unlike in most other RPGs. In the Mario RPG style, you're able to do actions to avoid ALL attacks. You can go through this entire game without being touched, although that'd take ridiculous amount of skill...Instead, you dodge attacks via bullet hell style. For those of us who have played games like Touhou and the sort will be in their zone. Although, the game is able to teach players who haven't played them (or like them) on a perfect difficulty ramp.

One of my favorite things about games are bossfights.

My opinion on Undertale's bossfights? Absolutely perfect. Each boss brings an entirely new dimension that is explained by subtle hints that the player WILL undertstand quickly. All of the bosses in the game deserve high, high amounts of praise, but there's a particular one that puts Touhou bosses at their very knees in comparing. I wish I could mention it here, but if I do, "you're going to have a bad time."

This is also the only game I've given 300% of my ****s given for the characters. Every single one of them I cared for, cried for, cheered for, and was pissed off at (in a emotional way.)

The game time is all over the place for people. Some people complete their first run in six hours, some in fourteen.

The music is godlike. Beyond the levels of talent of those like ZUN and Two Steps From Hell. These songs are not "Song Walls Of Heroes" that you'd hear. Every single track in the game is built more for the moments, and play right when it's needed. There's over 100 songs that are unique, and none overstay their welcome.

The humor of the game is just as perfect as the rest of the game, but I won't spoil them here.

Not only this, but the game is aware of itself. It knows your actions, beyond multiple playthroughs.

I highly reccomend this game to the highest degree. It's the first game to be "Perfect."

As highly opinionated as that word is, that word is fact for this game.

If I was forced to choose experiencing any game, and that'd be the final game I'd ever get to play, I'd be perfectly alright with this being the finale of games that I'd ever play.

If you pirate this game, you're beyond cruel. For 10 US $, it's much cheaper than a AAA 60$ "experience."

Many morals will be learned.
    You will learn to live.
    You will know pain.
    You will know sadness.
    You will know happiness, beyond the walls of the game. Is it even a game anymore? No. It isn't. It's the finale. Perfection.
  7. Oct 5, 2015
    This game is a masterpiece, right next to Half-life and all those other highly praised games.
    When I first saw this game and its graphics I thought the game was a joke. But then I tried it. At the first 30 seconds I realised how good the game could be.. and it supassed my expectations. I'm not any fan of RPG's I usually get bored and quit them halfway through.. The same as the bullet hell genre, I never really played any bullet hell extensively.. Somehow.. This game doesn't fit in those? It's more a narratively driven game game.
    People say this game is 5-7 hours long, but they forget the fact that the game doesn't end at the endings.. The game is bigger than itself. It's all just a matter of interpretation. So don't google up this and just buy it because knowing more may just hurt you. The music is fantastic. The graphics are clever, the gameplay is variate, the story is one of the best.
    This one is on the best games that I have played in the recent years.. And could easily win against all the AAA titles that have been released this year so far. Undertale knows very well when to joke and make you cry. It also knows everything.

So don't play Undertale.... Let IT play you.
    And then.
    You'll look at all other RPG's differently.
    Stay determined.
  8. Sep 26, 2015
    theres just something about this game, its enchanting in a quirky and unassuming sort of way--yes it looks like potato graphics but it doesnt matter, the person who wrote this was obviously a deep and interesting sort--just like the game. somehow, it manages to suck you in and get stuck in your head.. the music is incredibly good and the whole experience is just weirdly compelling.
  9. Oct 6, 2015
    The first thing you need to understand about Undertale, is that it is an experience, more than just a game. While the game itself is definitely entertaining, with a lot of influence from bullet hell shooters like Touhou, being at the forefront of examples. Beneath this, is a powerful narrative driven by -your- personal choices, rather than those of the protagonist. You're not a ride along.The first thing you need to understand about Undertale, is that it is an experience, more than just a game. While the game itself is definitely entertaining, with a lot of influence from bullet hell shooters like Touhou, being at the forefront of examples. Beneath this, is a powerful narrative driven by -your- personal choices, rather than those of the protagonist. You're not a ride along. And the game makes it very clear it is aware of this. The fourth wall is a plot device, and one that works really well in the given narrative. Buy this game. Play this game. Date a skeleton. Save the world, and feel really, really bad when you do. Expand
  10. Oct 6, 2015
    I just wish to say you can ignore most of the negative reviews on this game; They're almost entirely people hating on a game they don't find visually appealing at first glance.

(90% of them probably play CoD religiously and fancy themselves a critic because they can sign up for a website and type some stuff.) tl;dr Good game well worth the price.; Don't listen to the haters that

tl;dr Good game well worth the price.; Don't listen to the haters that think any sprite game was made in "Rpgmaker" because it's cool to have an opinion everyone else does on things.. 90% of the bad reviews are people that probably didn't play the game at all.
  11. Oct 6, 2015
    Game was great. Not by any means a 10/10 game, but still so childishly charming. Somehow I remember a lot of the games characters really well. Maybe they were that memorable.
  12. Oct 6, 2015
    A fantastic deconstruction of traditional JRPG tropes. I absolutely adore this game. Great twists and turns, fun non-standard "combat" mechanics, and some very meaningful choices and easter eggs.
  13. Oct 14, 2015
    And this is why we play video games. This right here is what its all about. I can't imagine the sort of people ho give this a negative score. I could understand mixed maybe or even just a little on the positive side, but this game is far above what we've seen in a long time.
  14. Sep 26, 2015
    The review trend is the sort of thing that would make me suspicious. Tens everywhere, people saying I CAN'T TELL YOU ANYTHING BECAUSE IT'D BE A SPOILER, but for once I'd say it's justified.

It's not a perfect game. The graphics, while stylized well, are fairly simple. Depending on who you are the humor may fall a little flat or be grating -- but the sheer breadth of work accomplished by (largely) one person is astounding. It has the most entertaining battle system I've seen in an RPG since the Mario & Luigi games, and the soundtrack has quickly become one of my favourites. the number of possible outcome scenarios that the game successfully accounts for in any playthrough is both impressive and amusing. And when all is said and done, it's actually made me stop and ponder the sorts of things I take for granted with the deeply ingrained gamer mentality that applies to almost any other game.

I laughed, I cried, I was caught off guard repeatedly, I had a barrel of fun, I felt things that no other game has made me feel, there wasn't anything about it that struck me as particularly underdeveloped or aggravating, and for those reasons it earns a 10 from me.
  15. Sep 20, 2015
    Undertale is the kind of game that comes once every few years that is TRULY a masterpiece. It has witty writing, loveable characters, and amazing music to say the least! The game never treats you like an idiot like most modern games do, though the characters themselves might treat you that way! Every single interaction has been put together so perfectly that you'll find yourself smilingUndertale is the kind of game that comes once every few years that is TRULY a masterpiece. It has witty writing, loveable characters, and amazing music to say the least! The game never treats you like an idiot like most modern games do, though the characters themselves might treat you that way! Every single interaction has been put together so perfectly that you'll find yourself smiling and laughing during the highs, and feeling genuinely sad and empathetic during the lows.

The game is also FULL of little secrets and special interactions that players are still just scratching the surface of. Depending on how you play, the game itself changes drastically. You can spare or kill EVERYONE in this game, and actually have to do both of those things for the True ending and Genocide ending respectively. Though be warned, if you go the genocide route and then do other routes, you can never have the "true" ending. So if you want to see that, you HAVE to do pacifist!

Either way, the game is so wonderfully crafted, and filled with so many loveable characters that I can guarantee you that you will not regret playing this game ever. It will be the kind of experience that you'll remember for a lifetime.
  16. Sep 26, 2015
    Fun game, I cannot find a single thing to complain about. the way the battles play it is always interesting and fresh, little secrets hidden everywhere and choices changing things make replays feel more fresh.
  17. Oct 8, 2015
    Essentially perfect.

Clever gameplay, amazing writing, and masterfully scored, Undertale is a dark horse candidate for best game of 2015.

I could say more, but it'd spoil the game, and why would I do that to you? At only 10 dollars, it's worth skipping a fast food lunch.
  18. Oct 11, 2015
    Undertale is a game where you don't have to kill anyone. On the the other hand, you can kill everyone. Or you could do something in-between. And all of these options will change your experience. If you kill just one enemy, the game will remember. And it will remind you. The game also features fun and refreshing combat, with a mix of traditional RPG combat with bullet hell. I'd recommendUndertale is a game where you don't have to kill anyone. On the the other hand, you can kill everyone. Or you could do something in-between. And all of these options will change your experience. If you kill just one enemy, the game will remember. And it will remind you. The game also features fun and refreshing combat, with a mix of traditional RPG combat with bullet hell. I'd recommend this game to anyone who's looking for a fun game to play. Just... don't have a bad time. Expand
  19. Oct 15, 2015
    Amazing character development with a great OST to back it. Combat is decent. There are unique dialogue options for every enemy in the game. The endings left me with goosebumps and a feeling of sadness since I won't be able to experience this for the first time ever again.
  20. Oct 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me start by saying: this game had no right, NO RIGHT, to be as good as it was. It released the same month as several major AAA releases, sold for only $10, and this is what you got. It had no right, it just waltzed right in, barely even noticed among these other AAA giants... and then blew my expectations out of the water. Not to say I had expectations, but what this game gave me was an experience I will never, ever forget as long as I live.

So Undertale is an RPG in the same vein as Earthbound, in fact many parallels can be drawn to the Mother series such as the art style and mood of the setting. But anyway it's an RPG where you play as a child that fell into an underground world populated by monsters who were driven underground many years ago by humans. But not all of these monsters want to kill you, in fact many of them are quite amiable and have their own lovable personalities, but then that's where the main mechanic of the game comes into play: you can either kill or spare these creatures. I never thought I would say this, but there legitimately is a "wrong" way to play this game in my opinion, if you play any way other than full pacifist route then you are cheating yourself out of the greatest video game experience I have ever felt. Going the aptly named "genocide" route, while an option, I feel will rob you of its intended themes: friendship, awful jokes, and how nobody is beyond redemption, no matter what.

Combat revolves around either taking turns attacking "enemies" (if you wish to do the genocide route), while dodging their attacks by a wario-ware esque bullet hell minigame, or interacting with them to defeat them by...other means (for the pacifist route). Truth is the writing in this game is actually funny. Granted people find different things funny but this game got me laughing the whole way through (when it wasn't making me cry my eyes out). And that's the other thing: this game knows when to be funny, it knows when to be creepy, or when to be dramatic and it knows how to do all of those things very well.

The soundtrack, like the game itself, had NO... RIGHT... to be as good as it is. Although they are simple 8 bit tunes for the most part, with some special effects at just the right moments in the game, the soundtrack is just phenomenally well done, and I frequently catch myself humming some of the delightful tunes you will hear throughout the game.

Where do I even start with the story? As mentioned before you can either choose to kill enemies or "spare" them, going through the game without killing a single character grants you access to what I can only describe as the most fulfilling, intense, heartwarming and adrenaline pumping final boss battle I have ever witnessed in a video game to date. And I've pretty much played all of them, trust me on that one. The visuals mixing with the highly emotional and dynamic music along with the heartwarming dialogue really, really impressed me, and opened up entire new avenues for interacting with the player's emotions through the story. I simply cannot stress enough that if you are a gamer, this is something you NEED to experience at least once. The following conclusion is so heartwarming, if you don't at least choke up a bit, then you have a heart of steel... and I envy you!

The retro style graphics might be turn off for many gamers, particularly with the prevalence of half-hearted indie games flooding the market, toting "retro graphics", but although Undertale uses these visuals as well, it does try some interesting effects and after a little while, you tend to forget about how simple the visuals can look at times.

I shouldn't be giving this game a 10/10 because no game is literally perfect in every way, but since I can't give it a 9.9 I'll round it up to 10 because this game deserves it. It deserves every bit of praise it gets, and it deserves to be remembered for years to come, if not for its wonderful story that tugs at all the right heart strings, then for being an undoubtedly pure video game experience, crafted with love and meticulous attention to detail the likes of which only show up once in a very, very long time.
  21. Sep 17, 2015
    A brilliant and engaging tale that keeps surprising! The enemies are fun and varied and the game even breaks the 4th wall. Really unique and punny! The combat is simplistic but fun but might put some people off
  22. Oct 14, 2015
    I'm absolutely flabbergasted by this game. I already knew what I was getting into just by the demo alone -- astounding soundtrack, cutesy pseudo-retro graphics that call back to games of yore and are riddled with slightly more modern references (Toby Fox is a Homestuck alumnus, after all), and a plot that promised to be full of meta references and acknowledgement of the player's power to,I'm absolutely flabbergasted by this game. I already knew what I was getting into just by the demo alone -- astounding soundtrack, cutesy pseudo-retro graphics that call back to games of yore and are riddled with slightly more modern references (Toby Fox is a Homestuck alumnus, after all), and a plot that promised to be full of meta references and acknowledgement of the player's power to, well, play the game.

I certainly wasn't expecting how deep the rabbit hole would wind up being, nor how interesting the combat mechanic of the game would be once it was fully explored. This was the best money I've spent on a video game in quite some time, and I would recommend to anyone that loves video games to give this game at least one chance to see what kind of experience they get from it.

Kind of like how we always joked about the NetHack dev team having thought of everything, I think that Toby Fox definitely thought of everything when he put this game together, and I'm very happy he did.
  23. Oct 10, 2015
    Honestly, I can't even explain how this game made me feel.

Honestly, I can't even explain how this game made me feel.

The character depth, the story... I don't know how they managed it but I couldn't find even ONE character dislikeable. Each had a unique charm and personality to them which served well in making a lot of the scenes memorable. Even the comic reliefs possessed flaws and traits that made them more than just a comedy insert. It also convinced me to try and view people from a different perspective, to find the good in anybody.

It left me changed and maybe attracted to a skeleton. Sure to tug at your heartstrings, leaving you feeling satisfied or proud of yourself. Only if you didn't take the genocide route though. That makes you feel horrible. I don't recommend that route.
  24. Oct 2, 2015
    Undertale, where do I start.
    This game is bloody(or less bloody if you choose so) genius.
    It's been inspired by Earthbound. It's full of silliness and witty jokes, also dogs. The mechanics are simple yet the developer manages to pull of some great and unique stuff with these mechanics. For one you control a heart in a small box while dodging projectiles while you fight. Well I have
    Undertale, where do I start.
    This game is bloody(or less bloody if you choose so) genius.
    It's been inspired by Earthbound.
    It's full of silliness and witty jokes, also dogs.
    The mechanics are simple yet the developer manages to pull of some great and unique stuff with these mechanics. For one you control a heart in a small box while dodging projectiles while you fight. Well I have seen this small sequence turn into platforming, bullet hell and frogger.

The story, not gonna say a thing because of spoilers, but it's really charming.

The soundtrack, it had me up in tears quite a few times, it's just that heartfelt.

This game is one of the prime examples why I love indie games so much, this game proves yet again that you don't need a big budget to pull of a great game.
  25. Oct 8, 2015
    Undertale is the revival of the Mother games, bringing back quirky humor and heartfelt stories while remembering every moral decision you make. I can't bring myself to give this game anything less than a 10/10 - the perfection of it places it as #1 in my list of favorite games.
  26. Oct 4, 2015
    Fantastic game that deserves all the praise that it's getting. Music is stellar and despite the main character sprite being a little iffy, the rest of the art and design in the game is spectacular, as is the gameplay, which is classic earthbound-esc RPG with shin megami tensei style talking to monsters and touhou meets warioware defense.

All around very entertaining, though I'll admit

All around very entertaining, though I'll admit it's not for everyone, as if the writing or characters doesn't appeal to you, much of the game will fall apart.

Still, as someone who felt the opposite, this is easily one of my favorite games of this year.
  27. Oct 6, 2015
    After the art style caught my interest I decided to buy this game on a whim. I'm glad that I did not read up on the game before playing it because the less you know about Undertale before going in the more you will be able to appreciate the gameplay and writing it throws at you.

The game is very much it's own thing and is a fresh take on the turn based RPG and adventure game genre. Where action commands in combat has been used before, Undertale takes it up another notch and creates something entirely unique to itself for solid (and sometimes humorous) encounters with the monsters you face. Never before have I played a game where the non-violent approach has been this fun.

The world of Undertale has a colorful cast of personalities. The main cast has a lot of layers to them, and it really feels like your choices matter as to how you decide to interact with them. Groan-inducing, chuckle-worthy, tear-jerking, genuinely terrifying; the characters made me fall in love with them time and time again. It is worth noting that some jokes and references require familiarity with internet subculture though.

The overworld is not very big, but the game fleshes out locations nicely and it feels like almost every screen is memorable in its own way. Despite that, it can be a slog to walk through areas to make sure you have seen everything there is to see. There are some fast travel options, but there are at least three other places that could have benefited from similar functions to backtrack from dead-ends and what-not.

In the grand scheme of things, the game delivers a fulfilling experience where there is a lot to discover about both the geography and population of the small world it creates. Your actions have genuine consequences that radically differ from one another, something that feels rare in games these days. There are points where it feels like corners had to be cut (like a certain boss fight in one of the paths) but they are hard not to forgive when the rest of the experience is so complete.

Stellar game, one of the best I've ever played.
  28. Oct 6, 2015
    As a lifelong gamer, I have experienced gaming highs and lows. I have played games and made me jump out of my chair and exclaim "AWESOME" and games that made me weep like a child. Games have become an important part of who I am and I can say without reservation that Undertale is a game like no other.
  29. Oct 11, 2015
    I have never had an emotional response to a video game. However this game really **** me up. Especially the end. Not to mention the well crafted characters and genius humour. This game deserves all the credit it gets.
  30. Oct 7, 2015
    This game is just a Big middle Finger to the AAA Industry. You can make amazing things with Just a great story! amazing characters, unique gameplay and you date a Skeleton!
  31. Oct 7, 2015
    After reading reviews that the game was "uninspiring" and that it was just another trend (despite the good reviews this game was getting), I became curious and decided to try the game out for myself.

So, after I played the game and got the best possible ending, I started to wonder whether those people actually finished the game at all (or even played). This game is more than just a

This game is more than just a "game". It dissects and comments on rpgs as a whole and even made me question my own morals and decisions.

Even though others may not like it, Undertale is my game of the year.
  32. Oct 8, 2015
    One of the highest watermarks in gaming, easily rivaling that of masterpieces like Earthbound.

Sublimely unique, laugh-out-loud hilarious, and heartfelt. Masterfully combines genres and tone while responding to your choices. Also revels in its ability to break from expectations to create surprises. An incredible work. Also, the ending is... wow. Let's just say I have never felt more

Also, the ending is... wow. Let's just say I have never felt more alive playing a video game.
  33. Sep 24, 2015
    I cannot understate how clever this game is. It taps directly into what made me enjoy things like Earthbound, and then takes every opportunity to subvert my expectations. I appreciate that the author appears to have understood exactly why people enjoyed all those 8-bit RPG's in the first place, and more importantly, understood just how to build off of that to make an engaging story onI cannot understate how clever this game is. It taps directly into what made me enjoy things like Earthbound, and then takes every opportunity to subvert my expectations. I appreciate that the author appears to have understood exactly why people enjoyed all those 8-bit RPG's in the first place, and more importantly, understood just how to build off of that to make an engaging story on modern hardware. One that holds up (and even evolves) on multiple playthroughs. Expand
  34. Sep 26, 2015
    Went in not expecting much but ended up with one of my favorite games. The gameplay is fun and stands out from other turn-based RPGs by having you actively avoid enemy attacks during your turn in a bullet hell style minigame. The cast of characters are very likable and the game's world is full of secrets to help expand on the story. There is a free demo available on the game's website ifWent in not expecting much but ended up with one of my favorite games. The gameplay is fun and stands out from other turn-based RPGs by having you actively avoid enemy attacks during your turn in a bullet hell style minigame. The cast of characters are very likable and the game's world is full of secrets to help expand on the story. There is a free demo available on the game's website if you want to try before you buy, but try to avoid spoilers and go in to the game knowing as little as possible about the story for the best experience. Expand
  35. Oct 7, 2015
    A game that provides an emotional experience above and beyond any other games I've ever played. It's story is simple, yet through your choices it changes wildly. The characters are lovable, the graphics are simple and work well within their established aesthetic, and the music is phenomenal.

Please play this game. It is an experience that cannot be conveyed in any other medium- it has to be played to truly understand what it is about. There's a demo on the developer's website, so try it. You won't regret it.
  36. Oct 9, 2015
    Your actions in the game change the whole plot, and the game remembers your actions even when you start a new save. Game-play is clever but the strongest part of Under tale is the characters in it. My GotY so far.
  37. Oct 9, 2015
    this games deserves its high score.

most of the low or medium scores appear to come from people who have not gone through half of it. there is no randomness, the characters are very well design and I can't even begin to fathom the work required for all the dialog options and the trickery involved with them
  38. Sep 24, 2015
    This single greatest game I have ever played.
    I pray it gets more attention, because the developer deserves the money, and more gamers deserve to experience this magic!
  39. Sep 26, 2015
    I find it very sad there are people who put multiple bad scores just to make a obviously great masterpiece like Undertale much lower rated than it should be, there really needs to be some sort of rating moderation system to review if a negative rating is made for bad reasons.

Undertale is a game that has a lot of very likeable characters, a lot of the game is pretty funny and at other times it's really dark, it has a pretty awesome story, All of the music is well made, the battle system is very fun a lot of the enemies feel like an original experience when battling, once you near the ending of the game is when it really gets epic, its the type of game that you have to play multiple times to really get immersed in and it's fun that way. It's absolutely one of the best games I've ever played and i don't really prefer indie games as much as a standard one.
  40. Sep 18, 2015
    I just finished the pacifist side of the game and i have to say, it was god damn BEAUTIFUL! To me this game is a masterpiece of a game that few will ever surpass or even come close to. Im not good at explaining things so ill just say that i was so attached to every character i met and i will miss them all when i kill everyone to see what happens on the genocide side of the game ; p
  41. Sep 25, 2015
    An absolutely stellar RPG/bullet hell hybrid with great writing and an unforgettable soundtrack. Was advertised as a 6 hour game, yet I'm clocking in at over 24 and *still* don't feel like I've found everything. Can't recommend it enough.
  42. Sep 27, 2015
    Wow...I can honestly say that this game is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. The game has not only captured emotion that is hard to find in this medium, but it also emanated pure joy. Playing Undertale is kind of like going to school for the first time and making friends. You feel a bit uneasy and confused about where you are going, but over time you and your friends seem to findWow...I can honestly say that this game is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. The game has not only captured emotion that is hard to find in this medium, but it also emanated pure joy. Playing Undertale is kind of like going to school for the first time and making friends. You feel a bit uneasy and confused about where you are going, but over time you and your friends seem to find your ways. This sort of childish wonder and joy is what Undertale feels like to me. It runs to gambit of emotions from start to inevitable end from joy down to sadness, loss, anger, and a bit of fear. Seriously, play this game. Expand
  43. Oct 6, 2015
    I registered a metacritic account to review this game. The game actually lives up to the hype. I'm not sure if it's for everyone, or if its literally the greatest pc game ever (probably not), but it is fun, clever, emotional, hilarious, has terrific music, and is incredibly engaging. The graphics are charming though clearly a bit cobbled together in parts. The true ending gripped meI registered a metacritic account to review this game. The game actually lives up to the hype. I'm not sure if it's for everyone, or if its literally the greatest pc game ever (probably not), but it is fun, clever, emotional, hilarious, has terrific music, and is incredibly engaging. The graphics are charming though clearly a bit cobbled together in parts. The true ending gripped me in a way video game plots haven't in a long time, likely because the characters are really good and memorable. You definitely should play this game. Expand
  44. Oct 10, 2015
    This game is amazing, from the character to the game play. I haven't loved a game this much in a long time. I not only recommend the game but also the soundtrack.
  45. Oct 11, 2015
    This is a game that swaggers up to the plate, points its bat to the sky, and delivers an astonishingly precise homerun. Toby Fox knew what he was doing every step of the way, and expertly executed a brilliant concept.
  46. Oct 7, 2015
    I've always been a sucker for cute indie games, but Undertale was honestly one of the most heartwarming and genuine games I've played in a long time. Reminiscent of the games I loved from my childhood with its fun, original and engaging gameplay, as well as some great ways of guiding you through decision making. At first I was completely fooled by its simplistic game design, but itI've always been a sucker for cute indie games, but Undertale was honestly one of the most heartwarming and genuine games I've played in a long time. Reminiscent of the games I loved from my childhood with its fun, original and engaging gameplay, as well as some great ways of guiding you through decision making. At first I was completely fooled by its simplistic game design, but it actually opened up a lot of depth once you figure out what the game is actually about. Please do go and give it a chance! :) Expand
  47. Oct 9, 2015
    Finally, an RPG that makes combat actually fun. I wanted to encounter each monster and explore every inch of this game. Combining mini game dexterity challenges into turn based combat is genius. It's a great game, I would love to see more from Toby Fox
  48. Oct 20, 2015
    That is my favourite game, great BSO, nice pixel art graphics, a wonderful history, if i played this game in my childhood probably will be my favourite game ever and ever, but not cares, because for real its my favourite game
  49. Oct 12, 2015
    I look at the few negative reviews this game has received, and it leaves me scratching my head.

The main things I see nay-sayers complain about, are the music, the game play, the humor, and the "hipster-ness". First off, the music is fantastic. It combines lovable tunes from the games of old, with newer elements of the modern age to create a unique and catchy soundtrack that I still

First off, the music is fantastic. It combines lovable tunes from the games of old, with newer elements of the modern age to create a unique and catchy soundtrack that I still cannot get out of my head.

The gameplay is unique in a sense that it goes where no game has gone before. The story, while whimsical at times, ties in with the game at its very core at such a level that it reminds me of the dark-souls series in terms of awe inspiring depth.

Yes, the game has a humorous element for the most part, but the fact that it can still make the player feel strong emotions in its few times of seriousness speaks for its self.

I dislike hipster-ness to a great extent. I think hating something just because its popular, and liking something just because it goes against whats popular is stupid. Undertale is flat out, a good game, regardless if its "hipster" or "indie" or any other label you want to put on it.

Honestly, if you gave this game a bad review, you either didn't give it a fair chance, or you're just being salty for a stupid reason, because there is absolutely no legitimate reason to rate this game as poorly as some of the other reviewers have. There are opinions, and then there is just being flat out wrong.

Before you unjustly click that 0/10 button, consider that your reviewing ability might be put to better use on games like Call of Duty or Assassins Creed, because this game is obviously too much for you to wrap your head around, or simply too deep for your shallow mind to perceive or appreciate.
  50. Dec 6, 2015
    The best Bullet Hell RPG i've ever played. Its beautiful. The storyline and everything, Sans, Papyrus, Well written characters and three endings, "Chara", "Frisk", An incredible soundtrack, How can i say anything else more about this game? Its a masterpiece, enough said.
  51. Sep 24, 2015
    This is the most immersive game i played in a long time and it looks like a snes/nes game.
    If there ever was a shining example, of the fact that games dont need impressive grafics, or famous voice actors, and an orchestral Hollywood score to make you feel something, and care about imaginary characters, than this is it.
  52. Sep 25, 2015
    One of the best games I've played this year. Heavily inspired by the MOTHER series, this title is sad, funny and heartrending. Full of surprises, this short RPG has already became one of my favorite games of all time.
  53. Sep 26, 2015
    The amount of depth this game has is astounding. From start to 'finish' I was having a blast getting immersed in this interesting story and characters hijinx. Honestly the best game Ive played in a long while.
  54. Oct 6, 2015
    If you don't fall in love with the wonderfully fleshed out characters, the fun music that comes with each boss, the ability to play as a pacifist or mass murderer, the humor displayed in every piece of dialogue, or the touching story about this human that the monsters need to be free and their adventures through the underground, then maybe this isn't the game for you. This game has thingsIf you don't fall in love with the wonderfully fleshed out characters, the fun music that comes with each boss, the ability to play as a pacifist or mass murderer, the humor displayed in every piece of dialogue, or the touching story about this human that the monsters need to be free and their adventures through the underground, then maybe this isn't the game for you. This game has things for anyone to enjoy from challenging attack dodging to puzzle solving to the NPC conversations. Before I bought the game I thought it looked quite simplistic, but the game goes far deeper than I would have thought. Each character has a unique and interesting story. Even the enemies and bosses have stories and backgrounds (Except for Jerry, no one likes Jerry. Poor Jerry). I cannot get enough of this game. I haven't even finished it yet but it has already blown my expectations. This game is a fun adventure that everyone, whether human or monster, deserves to enjoy. Expand
  55. Oct 3, 2015
    Modern Earthbound, probably the greatest RPG of the decade. Perhaps the art might not be your style, but give the game (or the demo!) ten minutes of your time, if you're not too tired from laughing, you'll have yourself a great game.
  56. Sep 25, 2015
    I can't say I've ever played an indie game that's left this profound an emotional impact on my. creative writing, lovable characters, unique gameplay, make for a truly unique experience. Takes all the right pages of inspiration from the Mother series while maintaining its own unique atmosphere. Highly reccomened
  57. Sep 26, 2015
    This game throws up many surprises. It's so simple and yet great fun. This game is a throwback in the graphics and sound but it all works and I love it. I highly recommend this.
  58. Sep 26, 2015
    It's strange that something created in GameMaker can feel more open and fluid than the most ambitious AAA sandbox. Undertale accounts for every choice the player can make to the smallest variation, and changes in gameplay and story to present a vastly different experience every time.
  59. Sep 27, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I know people are gushing about the atmosphere, charm, humor, etc. And this game has it in spades, as well rocking music and great visuals. I think that's been sufficiently emphasized already.

But the thing is the game can be picked the f*** apart. Whenever I think it's just a generic (though well executed) plot development or world element, even with the ending, if I explored a bit, looked for all the item descriptions, interactions, endings, gameplay variations, how and when you save your game, you find a whole bunch of **** about the background story, subtle character details, the nature of the world and how it relates to the game itself reminiscent of Elder Scroll's Chim, or Homestuck (which for obvious reasons I imagine is a more direct inspiration). IT's all stuff you enjoy finding more than having it blatantly presented to you- and the innocent, whimsical and whacky veneer just makes it that much cooler that this stuff is at its core.

Regarding the morality system, even though the "true ending" is [spoiler] the one that absolutely ideal morally, all the mixed endings have those aforementioned small details that still make them worth playing, or at least reading about/watching to give a little bit more depth. And they all relate to each other in world as well- [spoilers] basically time travel. And while this isn't a totally original concept for games dealing with saves/newgames, and there aren't nearly as many little tidbits regarding this overarching story, it's some of the more interesting stuff, as it relates back to a single trio and a mysterious force, that one can gradually trace back to a large portion of the games happenings, as well as the nature of an unexpectedly judicial entity throughout all of them, with enough digging.

But the biggest impact is what is essentially the alternate route, genocide- note: IMO you should DEFINITELY do this after getting the true ending. It has drastically more difficult bosses (I don't think you should play Undertale if gameplay is a HUGE priority for you, it's more of a sum of it's parts kind of game. But if you are looking for a challenge from this game, definitely aim for this route at some point-note, it's not necessarily just killing every enemy you see). A lot of plot points won't make sense. The persistent save that allows the "timeline overarching" story elements will permanently alter the true end (in a small, but significant way)- but most of all the effect of doing it after playing through the world as you know it once was makes the impact that much greater.
    I don't want' to spoil the effect, but the route essentially does what very few games, let alone simpler indie ones, accomplish- being entirely evil does not feel like failing to be the games hero. It feels like successfully being the apocalypse. And this route is incorporated seamlessly, not only into the worlds lore, but also back to the aforementioned three central figures. And the difference in tone is so well and subtly executed it actually made me queasy, which in this case is a plus.

This is pretty long, but I really wanted to capture some of the really unique, but not immediately evident qualities of this game, b/c a lot of people are essentially writing it off as tumblr/meme circle jerking. And I sort of know what's provoking this reaction, as it does lie very heavily in that area of the internet tone/humor spectrum, and these tropes are very often abused or self absorbed mutations passed around a la the circle jerk that spawns them. But let's not pretend that all communities and all individuals aren't capable of doing that with any kind of humor/tone, nor that there aren't legitimately GOOD ways of executing and presenting these qualities that inspired the abuse to begin with.

But even disregarding kneejerk reactions towards the lingering scent of your "outgroup"- know that people who like games, classic games, niche games, are playing this because it has a certain substance to it, that if not objectively good, or even something you enjoy, is at least something that you appreciate it exists. This guy put in work, he didn't advertise himself or blatantly appeal to a key audience. This game is crafted. Not necessarily for you, and therefore there will be those who dislike it, and those who don't have positive experiences. That's to be expected.

It's not a cash in. That's outright ignorant. To those who say it is a failure of x-genre, or y-precedent, it more often than not is trying to be x or y. By my interpretation anyway.
    That's my response too most extremely negative reviews.

As for the positive ones- they might be a bit too glowing, to the point where they start to lack credibility, and play into the whole "it's just a dumb fad" perception many detractors have. But they do come from a place I agree with. It's a good game. It's been a while since I've gotten so into one, not because it's necessarily deeper than the rest, but b/c its simplicity draws you in unexpectedly.
  60. Oct 6, 2015
    One of the most heart-warming games you can play in this generation. The concept of what an RPG is suppose to be is challenged by this game, making you ask instead, "what CAN an RPG be?" An immersive battle system with challenging and fun min-game'esque events put the idea of turn-based-combat in a retirement home. There has never been another game out there that has made me genuinely careOne of the most heart-warming games you can play in this generation. The concept of what an RPG is suppose to be is challenged by this game, making you ask instead, "what CAN an RPG be?" An immersive battle system with challenging and fun min-game'esque events put the idea of turn-based-combat in a retirement home. There has never been another game out there that has made me genuinely care for the characters I was meeting of fighting, and this all lends to the clever, sharp-whit writing that the game boasts proudly.

I have nothing but praise for this game. Thank you Toby Fox and everyone who helped bring this genuine smile to my face. The worth of this game is priceless~
  61. Sep 23, 2015
    Undertale is a special game one that is not afraid to mess with you or do the unconventional. It has innovative and fun gameplay and tons of humor spread around a beautifully crafted world which at some points is a bit creepy. The game knows how to play with your emotions too. The soundtrack is great and the choices you make decide how the game ends.
  62. Sep 18, 2015
    An instant classic, an ambitious yet successful attempt at knocking every other indie game out of the competition. Not much I can say about the game without ruining it, just that it merges many different genres and combines them with great humor and music.
  63. Sep 24, 2015
    This game has been an unbelievable experience for me. One of, if not, the best games I've ever played in my entire life. The game has an incredible story-line that can't be missed. Don't let what (at first) appear to be really cheap visuals and style steer you away from this game. Typically, I'm all about games with lots of pretty graphics, so I didn't think this would appeal to me atThis game has been an unbelievable experience for me. One of, if not, the best games I've ever played in my entire life. The game has an incredible story-line that can't be missed. Don't let what (at first) appear to be really cheap visuals and style steer you away from this game. Typically, I'm all about games with lots of pretty graphics, so I didn't think this would appeal to me at first. I ended up giving it a chance and I'm so glad I did. This game manages to be hilarious, serious, playful, depressing, and even at times a bit creepy/scary. Go into this experience without letting too much be spoiled.
    (Also, you might want to start with the pacifist playthrough (kill absolutely nothing))
    It's a beautiful game that cannot be missed by anyone.
  64. Sep 24, 2015
    I adore this game. As a non-backer, I don't have the emotional investment prior to the game that creates bias. However, I can safely say that this is without a doubt one of the best games I have EVER played. I recommend playing a full pacifist playthrough to begin with!

Combat is very interesting, and the writing is superb. Soundtrack is (of course) fantastic, and graphical style is unique enough to grab attention.
  65. Sep 24, 2015
    Undertale quickly had me hooked by merit of it's charm, expressive NPC's (despite the aesthetic choice of 8-bit inspired graphics), and quirky humor.
    As I continued, however, I realized that what looked like a light and simple game on the surface was deeper than I could have imagined. Characters would remember and remark on things I had done before reloading a save. The game had me make choices, and they mattered. These choices weren't easy. Sometimes, they made me examine who I was, and what my limits were.
    And the consequences of these choices are still staying with me.
  66. Oct 6, 2015
    I'm honestly against a lot of indie games nowadays. Mostly because they're all the same thing. 8 or 16-bit graphics, and some sort of RPG where you're stuck somewhere. But god damn is Undertale isn't one of the best games I've ever played in my life.
  67. Oct 7, 2015
    One of the most complete games I've ever played. Everything feels right. Everything I felt, felt true. The truth about this game is it was made with true DETERMINATION and will certainly be remembered through the years.
  68. Oct 7, 2015
    Excellently put together, flawlessly executed, and marvelous in its structural makeup; one man with a little help put this game together, people! This RPG is one of the richest experiences you will find in all of gaming and I applaud Toby Fox for his painstaking attention to detail. I have no problem including UnderTale on a short list alongside Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.
  69. Sep 25, 2015
    This is honestly one of the best games ever made. Everyone should play it because you only needs a keyboard and speakers for it. If you have ever enjoyed any single-player video game experiences, you will enjoy this game. There's nothing else to say really.
  70. Sep 20, 2015
    Finally, a game with a world that's truly immersive! Without spoiling much, this game has it all; humor, drama, unique elements, engaging gameplay, true fear, a fascinating world, and of course a lasting impact. This game is so good I registered *just* to leave a review. Every character is dynamic and enjoyable, even the enemy NPC's! Every character in the game can be interacted with, andFinally, a game with a world that's truly immersive! Without spoiling much, this game has it all; humor, drama, unique elements, engaging gameplay, true fear, a fascinating world, and of course a lasting impact. This game is so good I registered *just* to leave a review. Every character is dynamic and enjoyable, even the enemy NPC's! Every character in the game can be interacted with, and your actions affect not only the story but the way the game itself feels. Gameplay and story and constantly integrated in such a smooth way that every battle feels like a puzzle, or an entirely new game, and you'll never feel tired or frustrated during any point in the game. Without saying much, this game goes out of its way to make you feel like a true part of the story, and it's something that I've yet to see any game pull off in such a powerful way (plus that 4th-wall breaking is something of note, too). If you're a fan of the Earthbound/Mother series, bullet hells of all kind, deep stories, immersive universes, beautifully simplistic artwork, unique game mechanics, tragically sob-inducing epics, deconstruction, and humor... Then this game is exactly what you've been waiting for; this is what gaming has been leading up to. To know that this game will probably never get a sequel... Leaves a gigantic, Mettaton-shaped hole in my Mettaton-shaped heart... Expand
  71. Sep 21, 2015
    Wow, the game seems like it wouldn't be that enticing, but the writing and design is top drawer. IF you are on the fence at all about it, buy it. Go, now. I'll wait.
  72. Oct 3, 2015
    When I started playing this game, I found it to be very charming and smart, but wasn't sure if it could live up to the hype it got from some people.
    When I finished it (for the second time) I was nearly tearing up.
    This game is for me one of the best examples of passionate gamedesign I have ever witnessed, there is just so much love packed into it. And to be honest, there is no better
    When I finished it (for the second time) I was nearly tearing up.
    And to be honest, there is no better way to describe how I feel about this game, then with this one word: LOVE
  73. Sep 24, 2015
    This game on the base level is a very fun Earthbound-like, but once you play more you realize it gets waaay more deeper. Undertale is the first game I've every played where every time I play through the game again it's still as interesting and as fun as my first time playing. I think undertale might also be the first game where it makes you feel extreamly bad for deleting your save file.
  74. Oct 4, 2015
    Undertale takes everything wrong with traditional JRPGs (bloating, grinding, mind numbing combat that relies heavily on pressing the same button over and over until special enemies or bosses come around) and turns them on their heads. The game is relatively short, but in this short amount of time, every character is fleshed out making every little decision you make that much more important.
  75. Oct 1, 2015
    THIS IS NOT A GAME, THIS IS NOT A WORK OF ART EITHER, THIS "THING" IS THE BEST CATARSIS ANYONE COULD FEEL. IT SHOULD HAVE A WHOLE NEW CATEGORY JUST FOR ITSELF. Really, the emotions of fear, laugh, mercy and lots and lots of happyness I had with this masterpiece of 8-bit design will probably never get reached with anyother creation in my life. This is for real, I mean it.
  76. Sep 24, 2015
    Probably the best RPG I've ever played. Incredible depth, great reactivity, wonderful humour, touching sadness, and a powerful message, combined with one of the best rpg combat systems I've ever seen.
  77. Sep 24, 2015
    Sadly, it's easy to forget how good a video game can be. Too often are they discarded as a worthless distraction that beeps and boops just long enough to keep people entertained. Undertale comes at the player with soul that would enrapture even the most jaded of gamers. Words fail to describe how wonderful this little indie game is. If you've ever believed that a video game can be moreSadly, it's easy to forget how good a video game can be. Too often are they discarded as a worthless distraction that beeps and boops just long enough to keep people entertained. Undertale comes at the player with soul that would enrapture even the most jaded of gamers. Words fail to describe how wonderful this little indie game is. If you've ever believed that a video game can be more than just a distraction, then you owe it to yourself to play this game. Expand
  78. Sep 25, 2015
    I can think of very few games that have ever made me laugh as much as Undertale. There is a similarly small number of games with a cast of characters I've grown to love as much as the monsters in Undertale. Perhaps most importantly, there isn't a single game that has ever made me as genuinely happy as Undertale. The game has small flaws here and there, but if you would like to be happyI can think of very few games that have ever made me laugh as much as Undertale. There is a similarly small number of games with a cast of characters I've grown to love as much as the monsters in Undertale. Perhaps most importantly, there isn't a single game that has ever made me as genuinely happy as Undertale. The game has small flaws here and there, but if you would like to be happy too, Undertale is something you absolutely must play. Expand
  79. Sep 25, 2015
    Make friends with a slime. Pet a dog. Have some pie. Pet another dog. Buy a spider donut. Pet a dog. Enjoy the fantastic soundtrack. You don't have to kill anyone.

aware of dog
    pleas pet dog
  80. Sep 24, 2015
    A small, short adventure with some decent gameplay, that manages to stay fresh and change just enough to keep it entertaining to play.

Certainly a very emotional story and extremely reactive, utilizing the video game medium to a very large extent.

The game is ugly as sin, but that hardly matters when it's all said and done. Highly recommending, but wait till it's 5 bucks.
  81. Sep 25, 2015
    Undertale has been the most heartwarming, heartbreaking, touching and intense video game I have ever enjoyed. There was not a single character that I did not fall in love with. I have never been so full of emotions over something so short and sweet. Its almost too much.
    If you love monsters, puzzles, music, laughing until you cry, crying until you laugh and bittersweet tragedy, I can not recommend it highly enough. If you treat yourself and get it, please enjoy.
    (And be good, won't you?)
  82. Jan 10, 2017
    Looking for a valid, non-terrible and non-biased predisposed community opinion about this game is as difficult as discerning why I could possibly give this game a zero, because zero means there is no worth. Why are you here reading this, anyway? Are you getting your jollies by seeing the same exact opinions in the 10's and 0 reviews spammed? How about you just play the demo before thinkingLooking for a valid, non-terrible and non-biased predisposed community opinion about this game is as difficult as discerning why I could possibly give this game a zero, because zero means there is no worth. Why are you here reading this, anyway? Are you getting your jollies by seeing the same exact opinions in the 10's and 0 reviews spammed? How about you just play the demo before thinking about purchasing this game, because if you don't and you end up hating it, you're stupid, just like the many others who can't figure out how to use google and find the game website. Expand
  83. Sep 24, 2015
    Absolutely, without question, in my opinion at least, the best, kindest, most brilliantly human game I've ever played. Even if you don't get the clever and delightful in-jokes, even if you don't have a gamer background to catch all the references and the postmodern playing-with-expectations - it's more than simply a clever game, more than a deconstruction of roleplaying games. If you allowAbsolutely, without question, in my opinion at least, the best, kindest, most brilliantly human game I've ever played. Even if you don't get the clever and delightful in-jokes, even if you don't have a gamer background to catch all the references and the postmodern playing-with-expectations - it's more than simply a clever game, more than a deconstruction of roleplaying games. If you allow it to, it flowers into a triumphant reconstruction of innocent wonder and joy that drove us towards games in the first place. Undertale is a masterpiece in the realm of media, not just gaming, and proof that artgames don't have to be aloof and opaque, and that games shouldn't be afraid to try to touch our hearts, that games can sometimes trust their players, can confidently hide their secrets in the negative space of what's left unsaid.

Stay determined.
  84. Jan 21, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is nothing to say............................................................................................................................... Expand
  85. Dec 30, 2015
    I didn't read anything about this game before playing it, merely saw that it was an ugly game with overwhelmingly positive reception. I bought it expecting it to have great writing, characters, plot, or gameplay, and was disappointed when all of those things turned out to be sub-par as well. Reading the reviews after playing the game, I couldn't believe them.

The author tries to be cute

The author tries to be cute and quirky and comes across to me as annoying and puerile; he acts as if breaking the fourth wall and being self-deprecating is the height of wit. The characters are cliches and shallow caricatures of people he seems to know in real life. The combat is boring and frustrating. The one interesting idea in the game, "monsters are people", can't single-handedly carry the entire game. Before the end I couldn't wait for this, one of the least enjoyable gaming experiences of my life, to be finally over. The ending was a perfunctory deus ex machina.

The huge disconnect between my opinion of this game and the average opinion has made this a psychological puzzle, more interesting to me than the game itself. I believe I understand the problem. The game's payload is a single emotional experience. The emotion is guilt; it relies on a plot twist, and its effect is increased by making the people in the game cute and familiar. I didn't identify with the guilt trip as much as some--the payload was so underwhelming for me, that it didn't even occur to me that it might move someone enough to like the game.

If you want more about guilt, play Planescape: Torment or Star Control 2 or read Crime and Punishment or an Ayn Rand novel. If you're looking for a cheerful, benevolent RPG (as one might expect this one to be based on its description), play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. If you like having the choice between being good and evil, play Planescape: Torment, KOTOR 1 & 2, or Fallout 1 & 2. If you like Undertale's characters, look into Baldur's Gate (I don't like either, but like Jar Jar Binks they're similarly silly and annoying and beloved by people who baffle me).

On an ironic note, Undertale is a game about guilt whose fans en masse downvote useful negative reviews while upvoting useless positive ones. I believe this game's lesson is: if you treat cutesy things harshly, you will feel guilty. Players consequently find it impossible to criticize the game, and try to make themselves feel like good people by singing its praises. That's why it makes sense for fans to say that people who criticize this game have no soul. Undertale guilt-trips players into giving it positive reviews.
  86. Jan 15, 2016
    Easily the most overrated game of 2015. The pros are that the writing is rather down to earth, easily connects with the player, a fairly entertaining multi ending story depending on the play style you choose. But, as graphics are not an important factor for me, this game severely lacks any artistic direction. One of the most lazy attempts for a pixelated rpg in recent memory. The plot doesEasily the most overrated game of 2015. The pros are that the writing is rather down to earth, easily connects with the player, a fairly entertaining multi ending story depending on the play style you choose. But, as graphics are not an important factor for me, this game severely lacks any artistic direction. One of the most lazy attempts for a pixelated rpg in recent memory. The plot does seem rather alien and boring at first, but it progresses to be somewhat of a shocker, but leaves no room for attachment to any of the characters you meet. One of the lines in this game was a pathetic attempt to make the player feel guilty for taking the most destructive path.. "Brother Killer". It failed to drive any emotion for me, whatsoever. Earthbound reminiscent combat was definitely a plus for me, but did little to actually make me feel like my time was a worthy investment.

Hipsters blindly praise this title because it became a movement, a bandwagon, not because it's a legendary achievement. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GAME IF YOU'RE EXPECTING AN EPIC RPG EXPERIENCE. The weight of decisions in this game aren't as heavy as people would make you think.
  87. Sep 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay. first off, I have to say that while I recommend this game, I didn't liked it as much as other people do. The reasons are lying in details. So I will do like this: Point out the game srongest points for people who have not played it aand my personal net picks for people who have played it. By no means I think this game is overrated or not so good (after all, not each game is capable of curing deppresion or change your life) , but there are some points that I would like to talk about. Here we go.
    + Combat is very original. I really liked negotation system in shin megami tensei series, but this gamee has one of the best interpritaions of it.
    + The cast is memomerable and likeable, also there is a lot of character development.
    + Jokes are very very funny and original as well.
    + Replay value is very high
    + Boss battles are super fun and origignal. Too bad that tere are no boss rush mode.
    + Replay Value is high, although it depends from your position towards the game's message
    + Exploration and backtraking are rewarding, wich is good because I really like to backtrack if some of the location design has changed later on
    + I personally think that game is not that short, because you really should try to rush it throught to complete it in 6 hours.
    + While I persinally think that it is hared to listen soundtrack outside of the game, it's awesome and fitting to any moments.
    In fact, there are a lot more positive points, but these are done their best to catch an eye

Now let's talk about things that I personally dislike. There is high chance that you will not notice them, but I have.

[spoiler] - The game really likes to strip your choices at some points, especially toward your cell. I found the telephone number of some monster but the game tells me "You decided not to call". Royal Scientist upgraded it so that I now connected to the social net, but I can't use It! There are only 3 characters I can call, wich is Toriel, Papyrus and Undyne. To make matters worse, Toriel will be available only at the very begining and the very end, while Papyrus and Undyne are united into pair so I can call them oonly at once, and, basically, they are only characters who can provide moral support.
    - Silent protagonist. There are a lot of moments where I wanted to see his reaction, but alas.
    - The story gets really really confusing towards the end.
    - 4th wall breaking moments are confusing as well.
    - I have not cried at all. Yes, there were moments of sadness, but because game so likes to throw jokes on you, at some points it hard to tell, whenether it wants to make you cry or laught or scared.
    - Lore is unecessary complicated
    - True ending.
    Now let's talk about last aspect more detailed.
    1) While other people during the final battle were crying, I personally almost commited suicide with facepalm. Who ever thought that fusing Flowey and Asriel into one character was a good idea? I was shouting like Konstantin Stanislavski "I don't believe it!" Asriel was presented as a mild and likeble character but Flowey is just opposite. And there is a very bad explanation about Asriel's changing of attitude. I can't take it seriously.
    2) So, everyone is having fun while Asriel doomed with eternal punishment? Okay, I understand that I can not save him, but why the hell I can not at least make other characters pay there respect for it? And I don't care that it will broke their hearts, just let me do that, game!!!
    3) A lot of plot holes are risen because of that ending. Why Asgore and Toriel have not ralised how evil was their adopted human son? How the body of their (by the way, why everyone refering to Chara/Frisk "They" and not "Him"?) is mystically warps form the village to coffin to ruins? Why Chara's soul decided to corrupt Frisk and not other fallen humans? Is Frisk is so special? Or what? [/spoiler] If you dont't agree with me, feel free to bash me with dislikes, but I was have to spoke all the thoughts that I had in mind.

Anyway, again: If you have not played this game -- I can safely recommend it to you. Like all others.
  88. Sep 26, 2015
    Reading through the positive reviews, people seem to attributing profoundness to things that just aren't there. A few random bizzare events does not equal excellent humour. It does not have anything to say on the state of modern video games. It did not invent meta references. It doesn't even try to be heartfelt or touching.

The Stanley Parable deconstructed gameplay mechanics and the

The Stanley Parable deconstructed gameplay mechanics and the nature of player decisions in a far more meaningful way.
    Spec Ops: The Line had more to say and contemplate on senseless killing than a genocide run of Undertale.
    To The Moon ACTUALLY explored themes like love, loss, joy and sentimentality.
    Braid provides a much deeper analysis of gameplay tropes and philosophy.

Yet these are things reviewers are claiming Undertale has in spades. Normally when I dislike a critically acclaimed game, I can at least appreciate why people loved it, I just can't seem wrap my head around this one, it all feels like some social experiment or joke that I'm not in on. It doesn't help that negative reviews are being downvoted and deleted.
  89. Sep 28, 2015
    I have to state that i rather prefer role playing games that are a lot more visual. I have not grown up in the old computer days with NES or Atari - so i do not feel the nostalgia or so when encountering those games.

Now - the most important part of a RPG is most certainly the characters and their story - and the game delivers ... very well! I do not know how it works - but there are games where you instantly feel a connection to the characters ... you actually instantly kind of "like" them - and care for them. (even the evil ones) ... and then there are games where you simply never feel the connection (and of course there is the in-between).

Untertale ... well... for some reason i instantly liked the setting and character(s) - even if they are presented in utmost ugliness.

Here is also where i draw the line. It may sound (and might actually be) superficially - but i do not think that the art-style is beneficial for the game. I can see the game made in a low res art-style ... but not in Atari 2600 era style - but rather a low res VGA style. So it seems like the art team was simply not able to provide.
    Visuals are an important part of a RPG - which is kind of a visual novel with more interaction than what nowadays goes for "visual novel" i guess. So .. great character(s), great story - and an easy 10/10 ... but for ME ... the presentation brings it down a significant notch. (on the basis of a low budget game that is ... if it was a AAA title - even the story would not be a 10/10 - cause i expect more complexity from such a budget)
  90. Nov 26, 2015
    I bought Under tale the first Day it was Released, because it ended up in my Steam Queue. When I first played the game, I was far from impressed. In fact, I was bored. The bullet-hell is very repetitive, a five year old could play it. the Soundtrack is okay, but it always sways away from it's pixel-like music switching to some sort of instrumental that just..doesn't Mix too well. TheI bought Under tale the first Day it was Released, because it ended up in my Steam Queue. When I first played the game, I was far from impressed. In fact, I was bored. The bullet-hell is very repetitive, a five year old could play it. the Soundtrack is okay, but it always sways away from it's pixel-like music switching to some sort of instrumental that just..doesn't Mix too well. The Story however. seems a bit unique, But the endings are just absolute Horrid, They try to make the game original as death, with Endings that Just don't make any sense that your average gamer, wouldn't know to pursue, which to me feels as if it's for gamers who think outside of the box, who get the feeling that there's more to a pacifist ending (True pacifist ending?) Which seems like they're just canceling out a majority of people.

* People use guides to complete the game
    *The story lacks character Depth, honestly you're just a kid but the dialogue past Toriel Say's otherwise.
    *The music starts, and ends in a downward spiral.
    *repetitive Children's bullet-hell that lacks authenticity
    *This is not hideo kojilma. this is some guy who Knows a bad game from a good game.
    * It takes many of its aspects from Earthbound. Which could be why it's so popular, Regardless, nothing about this is special.
    In conclusion, Under tale is a Game that's repetitive and Dated, Lacking in a plot, Treating you like a solider out on patrol Serving A dead set purpose That get's annoying by the day. While it is an indie I can give it this much for trying. But they focused more on game-play, Music, and Incompetent Character depth which is never good in this business, They even have the gall to Put their music on sale. What more could you ask for? Such good compensation. I demand a Refund.
  91. Oct 21, 2015
    The hype around this game is completely undeserved:

-The pace of the game is disturbingly slow, sometimes you're spending 4 minutes just to read 4 lines of text due to "tension building" -The game numbs down "the real experience" by making non-combat approaches the best ones and the flash-player combat is about the only thing slightly redeemable in this game. - The graphics seem to
    The hype around this game is completely undeserved:

- The graphics seem to originate out of gamemaker, which would not be a problem at all if the gameplay was top notch, but it isn't, so it results in a bad game with bad graphics.
    - The game is literally just a cesspit of memes, which is apparently something to admire nowadays...
    - The $ - Hour comparison is WAY OFF, even if you played it twice or even three times to get the "good ending"

This game was just way overhyped by media like tumblr and such for its "quirkiness and level of alternativity" and it's supposed creative art style and the PC focus of combat being bad.

2/10 would not play again, would even go back in time to unplay it tbh.
  92. Oct 15, 2015
    I don't get it. the graphics are awful, the gameplay is dull. The dialog seems to be written by a 14 year old. I could only take it for about an hour. I didn't particularly like the combat. But it has wonderful reviews, I mean, overwhelmingly wonderful reviews, so I should like it, right? Well, I tried, and I didn't, and that makes me sad.
  93. Nov 27, 2015
    This is a very boring game or very low quality. I have no understanding how people rate it highly. Maybe if it was made in the 1980's it would have been a good game. But it wasn't. It is just plain bad.
  94. Jan 14, 2016
    This game is funny and clever, and at most it's OK. It has, however, sparked some sort of baby's first philosophy boom that created a fan base so rabid that I'd rather hang out with CoD-bros than these frothing dimwits who will spout on and on about the PURE GENIUS of this game at the drop of a hat. Avoid it like the plague.
  95. Dec 15, 2015
    I mean, I get the appeal of this game but c'mon guys, this game is pretty overrated. Sure, the combat system is unique and the different endings really make you feel differently about the way you play but honestly besides that, the game is just... average. There has been a ton of pixelated indie games this year and even though this is admittedly the best, the whole pixelated indie gameI mean, I get the appeal of this game but c'mon guys, this game is pretty overrated. Sure, the combat system is unique and the different endings really make you feel differently about the way you play but honestly besides that, the game is just... average. There has been a ton of pixelated indie games this year and even though this is admittedly the best, the whole pixelated indie game trend is getting a little bit old. The amount of positive reviews that this has gotten is just sad in my opinion. Not to mention that it's about to be crowned best game ever... Expand
  96. Oct 7, 2015
    It is mediocre at best. And only one word can describe this game: Uninspired.
    If you played Mother games you might like this game since it appeals heavily to your nostalgia.
    What I liked about it: -It's short; It didn't felt like a chore to finish it, but I also was not the least bit entertained by this game. -It has a certain charm; What I disliked about it: -The humour; It
    It is mediocre at best. And only one word can describe this game: Uninspired.

What I liked about it:
    -It's short;
    -It has a certain charm;

What I disliked about it:
    -The humour;
    It relies on being "random" and forced, which ends up being cringeworthy. "So bad that it is good" can describe what the creator of this game was trying, but all "jokes" and "quirky remarks" fell flat. It's very childish.
    -The writing;
    It's like a bad fan-fiction. It tries too hard to make you feel something, all the emotional parts felt forced, there is no character development or depth, everyone is as shallow as they first appear. What connection do you have with those poorly drawn anthropomorphic character? None. The game just tells you "here, feel this".
    -The music;
    Uninspired. It's like every single old RPG music, I can't think of one that is "good" or memorable. Music is an important part of the game.
    -The characters;
    Cliché, cliché, cliché. If you played even one JRPG, you know how cliché and uninspired Undertale's characters are.
    -The gameplay;
    Too easy. Bullet hell is supposed to be tricky and this game is just corridor walking with bullet hell. There is not a single battle where you must "think", it's all just muscle memory.

The game is not bad, per se, but it also isn't this masterpiece people are saying it is.
    It is just another "flavour of the month" indie game. I would also hardly call this a role-playing game.
  97. Oct 21, 2015
    Something very funny is going on here. This is my second review of the game. The first was negative - and has been deleted. Other users have reported the same thing.

This game is just not very good. The puzzles are awful - in one you explored a room step by step, never knowing when you were going to fall through an "invisible" hole. Once you did, the hole was marked on the map, and you had to climb back upstairs and go through the room again trying a new step in a different direction - until the entire floor is explored. Sound fun? It isn't. Graphics are mediocre, combat is one one worst systems I have ever seen (You stand in a box and "bullets" fly at you and you dodge them. That's it.) and the sound is also so so.

So why is it getting so many high reviews? I don't know. It's almost like someone is performing a viral marketing experiment. The system seems to be being gamed. Negative reviews are being deleted. I wonder how long this one will stay up?

Giving the game a zero. It just isn't any fun at all. I was bored within minutes.
  98. FPJ
    Nov 25, 2015
    I played this game once. I know that's not all the content, but I don't think I could stand to again. The characters have no depth, requiring players to seek out other content to supplement the flat, entirely trope based characters. When you do not bring in that knowledge the attachment needed to care about the "decisions" isn't there. I want games to be fun. This one is work.
  99. Dec 11, 2015
    Quite simply one of the worse games I have ever played. Saw this banded around and due to the high scores and gave it a try. Don't bother! Graphics that look like a NES game and in-coincidental story that is borderline ridiculous makes this game painful to finish.
  100. Sep 26, 2015
    I had a lengthy review here last night that's now deleted. Two other negative reviews I had seen that were on this website are also gone. Something weird is happening to written negative and mixed reviews for this title.

Not doing another lengthy writeup in case this is deleted again... so tl;dr - uninspired graphics - half-decent soundtrack - dull gameplay that rips all of its

Not doing another lengthy writeup in case this is deleted again... so tl;dr

- uninspired graphics
    - half-decent soundtrack
    - dull gameplay that rips all of its ideas from Magnavox Odyssey titles
    - Earthbound references for marketting purposes when the game has no similarity to Earthbound aside from a blatant attempt at ripping off some Giygas art and behaviors for the final battle in this game

1. Jan 16, 2017
    Undertale is absolutely unique. It's a RPG masterpiece full of weird characters and a moving message.
  2. Mar 4, 2016
    With multiple endings based on how you choose to play out your run, set pieces that can play out very differently based on your actions and so many incredible moments that we’d love to share but daren’t do so for risk of spoiling anything, Undertale is easily one of the indie standouts of last year.
  3. Feb 23, 2016
    Through a combination of often relaxed but sometimes tense gameplay, a dreamy atmosphere, and genuine characters that feel like they’re actually alive and all living together in this isolated society of longing, Undertale transcends its medium and becomes a genuinely moving experience I would recommend to anyone who is open to a sometimes sorrowful, sometimes hilarious, always bizarre and engaging emotional journey.