7.7

1. Nov 15, 2013
    If you are looking for something to scratch that Metroidvania itch, this is your solution. It's a bit rough around the edges, but it will satisfy.
    The combat in this game is a blast. It is very fluid. At first, it felt pretty awkward. After I got a little bit of practice with the different abilities, I was hooked. The combat and the boss fights hit that balance between challenging and fun. If combat was the only aspect of this game, it would be an easy 10/10.
    Unfortunately, combat is not the only aspect of this game. It is chock-full of platforming sequences that are simply not fun. A lot of them have timers that are horridly strict and punish you for even a slight mis-step. The controls are also just not built for platforming. Lastly, the enemies themselves also frustrate matters since one hit in the air causes you to recoil until you hit the ground...sometimes setting you back 2-5 minutes only to have it happen again and again.
    I know that this game is not meant to hold your hand, but I'm guessing that it is meant to be fun. The platforming sequences are just not fun. They are tedious.
    The music is awesome. The combat is awesome. The controls are kind of spotty but good most of the time (and not built for platforming). The platforming sequences are not awesome, and hold this game back something fierce. The highest I can give this game is a 6/10, and I count myself as a metroidvania fan.
    A bit of advice: Get a controller for this game and you will enjoy it much more.
  2. Jan 10, 2014
    Great graphics and music. Lots to like about the game but the controls are inconsistent and counter intuitive. Gameplay design is baffling in that it seems designed to punish rather than reward the player. I uninstalled the game after maxing out my character and putting in countless hours when I realized falling from one ledge in a late stage required several minutes of backtracking.Great graphics and music. Lots to like about the game but the controls are inconsistent and counter intuitive. Gameplay design is baffling in that it seems designed to punish rather than reward the player. I uninstalled the game after maxing out my character and putting in countless hours when I realized falling from one ledge in a late stage required several minutes of backtracking. Honestly I can't respect a game that doesn't respect my time. Very close to greatness but controls and design are heavily flawed. Expand
  3. Mar 29, 2014
    First off, the game's art style is fine, but doesn't really seem to know what it wants all that much. The colourfulness and anime-ish drawing style is really nice, but it doesn't seem to connect with the more gritty/dark tone the game tries to convey.

The music is fine. Nothing about it ever sounds too repetitive or boring, and I'm always super-critical of music in vidya, so this is really a compliment. It's not Nobuo Uematsu but there is nothing about it that makes me want to silence the game. Sound effects are nice too, albeit again are a bit cartoony and don't necessarily fit the "Abyssal City" side the game tries to push in.

Story is delivered in a let's say somewhat successful way. You're not showered with over the top characters or ridiculous lines. It's gritty as it should be, Wyatt(who I'm playing with) does have a few witty lines and I didn't have a single character that made me roll my eyes or laugh at him.

With that said, that's pretty much all the story has been able to do thus far. Considering that I'm several hours in, it's quite disappointing and it reminds me of modern Final Fantasy type of stories where the mystery is kept for over 30 hours before being uncovered, only to reveal itself to be a predictable and absolutely uninteresting secret. I can't say that I'm sure of this since I didn't finish the game, but if it ends up being that the Abyssal City has some sort of magical stone or super-machine that can end the war between Angels and Demons, I will not be one bit surprised and the whole "let's ellipse our way through the game" storytelling is really going to come off as lame.

In a simple line, it does atmosphere quite decently IMO, but it stops at that. Storytelling seems to be nothing fantastic, even a bit meh sometimes, and nothing has piqued my interest yet.

Characters are also usually defined with a few lines like FF NPCs, and that just sucks. I can barely remember Wyatt's personality, the fact that the rest of the people around usually don't really bring much more really make you feel like you're going through a land of pixels with cardboard cutouts in it.

Best and worst part of this game is probably the gameplay.

As several people have said, the combat is fast, energetic and erratic as hell, reflex-heavy and made in full 80s spirit: you will have to die, and die, and die, before learning the bosses' patterns and how to beat them. It's very fun and the RPG system's complexity and freedom of use allows for a ton of personalisation and upgrading. Every enemy and boss has a pattern to learn and beat, whose complexity gives the game's fighting system its really huge potential. I won't lie, it's terribly frustrating and infuriating sometimes. The worst during your first playthrough is that you are "paid" with experience depending on how well you've beaten the boss. Meaning that you will go through 1 full hour of pattern-learning before beating a boss that takes 5 minutes, only to be given a measly 20XP that any grunt can give you!

That system does encourage excellence but it's a terrible pain for newcomers.

The other and worst part of the gameplay is the platforming, as everyone's said already.
    The controls are way too imprecise to do decent platforming. Jumping on the keyboard is binded to up, which is just plain stupid, but can be changed. Sometimes you will have to do extremely tight jumps on small platforms with controls that are obviously not meant for it.

Walljumping is too automatic, sometimes you'll go left, jumping from ledge to higher ledge on your left, and for some reason Wyatt will jump right and fall all the way down. This happens a lot and the opposite does too, you'll climb up ledges when you want to walljump because your inputs aren't mint precise. In a fast-paced game as this, having to slowly input everything under fear of hyperreactive controls is a really huge bother. But when this platforming is required for bosses like Treu, Magus, or Shu Gohth, you will scream in rage at the mad controls that are getting you killed!

The numerous speed platforming puzzles are just an incredible pain as they require extremely tight movement that the control doesn't help you with one tiny bit. I often thought of Sonic the Hedgehog, the original one, and how Sonic always has acceleration and slowing down to help him do precise jumps. Valdis Story does not offer that kind of precision at all and whether it's platform jumping, avoiding hazards above or aside of you or doing several jumps to avoid enemy projectiles trying to knockback you down to hell, you will suffer tons with this.

Along with all that, the lack of a world map makes finding your way very tedious as you will have to try every way out of an area to see the next area's map...and the area maps don't even tell you what the exits lead to.

As a whole, the game is very much worth trying at least, but only if you can get into a try-and-die spirit and are ready to face the horribly poor and frustrating platforming.
  4. Mar 20, 2016
    I'm giving this an 7 because there's a lot to do in the game, lots of options, and so on.

The problem is that it is sloppy, which makes it extremely hard. There's also a huge learning curve to play the game well. Way higher than most any Castlevania game. You can't play this casually and expect to get through. But, as other people point out, it relies so heavily on endless boring

But, as other people point out, it relies so heavily on endless boring timed puzzles that are unforgiving. At least those are for optional items.

You have no warning for bosses, and are then stuck in an endless loop of grinding to beat the boss. I'm not sure, but I think if you don't do awesome at bosses you don't get stat upgrades. So... how is that fair?

Jumping puzzles abound. HATE jumping puzzles. This trope was thrown out years ago for most games. But there are single-block cubes you have to land on. Enemies attack you, but if you attack them your character moves automatically and falls off. Oh, and performance issues make the game stutter at random moments, sometimes when I'm in the middle of a jump, and I mistime the jump. Ugh.

Having so many items and options is also a bit of a problem, too. It's very unclear which items to use at any given time and the spells are clunky to change. I stopped using spells altogether because of that, but this is the same problem one of the Castlevania games had.

Controllers almost invariably don't work. None of my Logitech gamepads are recognized. Apparently the Xbox 360 usb controller works well, but of course that's the one kind I don't have.

Still, there's a lot of high quality art, animations, and it's more or less a reasonably solid fighting engine. It's fun for a few hours, so I'm rating on the amount of enjoyment I got out of it. A good solid afternoon of fun. After that, I suggest giving up before the fiery Temple (or at the wizard with a sword) and moving on unless you seriously like grinding on jumping puzzles and unforgiving bosses. There's more pain then reward at this point unless you're really committed.
  5. Sep 13, 2013
    At first i loved this game. A metroidvania dream. Until i got further. Symphony of the night had a couple of tough acrobatic puzzles. This game consists from it. It's not just hard. It requires you to be absolutely perfect. One mistake and you either dead or running out of time. I like some challenge. But when the challenge is to overcome counterintuitive controls and make 10 perfectAt first i loved this game. A metroidvania dream. Until i got further. Symphony of the night had a couple of tough acrobatic puzzles. This game consists from it. It's not just hard. It requires you to be absolutely perfect. One mistake and you either dead or running out of time. I like some challenge. But when the challenge is to overcome counterintuitive controls and make 10 perfect moves in 10 seconds it's not fun at all. You just have to repeat over and over, until you master it. It may take 30-100 tries to solve 1 trick or to learn a boss. This is what this game is all about. So don't even think about getting it, unless you prepared sustain some extreme fffffrustration. Expand
  6. Jan 3, 2015
    It's a decent enough game and I didn't really mind the platforming puzzles but I find it disappointing that the game was released unfinished and over a year later, there still has been no update on the other content that was supposed to be there.
    Also, if I remember correctly, the difficulty is a bit all over the place, with a lot of fights being manageable while others are just insane. This has kept me from finishing the game a second time with the second character and on the highest difficulty. I got to the first boss just fine but then I was like "You got to be kidding!"
    That said - it DOES take a while to get through the game even just once, so depending on what price you pay for it, it is still absolutely worth it. I just find it unfortunate that it possibly will never be finished and I'm also not a huge fan of the art style. It looks more like what you would see from a hobbyist on deviantart rather than a professional game artist (even if it's indie games - just check out Bastion, Braid, This War Of Mine, etc.).
  7. Nov 9, 2013
    pretty good game the combat is fun the bosses are well made and there's even a rank system that grants you bonus stats depending on how well you did against the boss. The game however has 2 massive problems first off some of the puzzles later on are just plain ridiculous and need absolute precision to get through, second the game lacks a complete map all you have are maps of the areapretty good game the combat is fun the bosses are well made and there's even a rank system that grants you bonus stats depending on how well you did against the boss. The game however has 2 massive problems first off some of the puzzles later on are just plain ridiculous and need absolute precision to get through, second the game lacks a complete map all you have are maps of the area you're in which makes it annoying to find out where to go if you need to go somewhere aside from a town which each have transportation connected to each other.
    As of this review i've played about 6 hours of the game and there's a certain boss that teleports randomly and if he goes into a certain location the fight becomes impossible to complete because not only does it force you to preform the platforming puzzle to climb back up it's impossible to do so when said boss enters a certain phase and begins shooting lasers through the room which knock u off the platform.
  8. Apr 21, 2018
    I loved the challenge offered by this game and its creative combat. Don't get me wrong I love punching my self in the d-i-c-k ike any other guy when I play games like Dark Souls or Meat boy to learn patterns for hours in order to master the game. However, I was not expecting this kind of difficulty from Valdis when I saw it was advertised as a Metroidvania game. I was actually taking aI loved the challenge offered by this game and its creative combat. Don't get me wrong I love punching my self in the d-i-c-k ike any other guy when I play games like Dark Souls or Meat boy to learn patterns for hours in order to master the game. However, I was not expecting this kind of difficulty from Valdis when I saw it was advertised as a Metroidvania game. I was actually taking a break and wanted to relax with a fun Metroidvania game, but seeing as I don't back down from a challenge this game ended up taking most of my time to finish it all through S rank( Only on Veteran mode).It is the sole reason it barely got any attention besides a very very small handful of hardcore gamers. Heck, I don't even think 95% of the reviewers played past the first boss. I think if it was advertised as a challenging game on its own merits(similar to Cuphead) this game would have had a HUGE following. It is barely a Metroidvania game, as the maps are super small, and there is hardly any exploration early, besides a few tiny rooms here and there that are obviously marked on the map for after you get the acquired optional skeleton and divine keys.
    Anyway, that is my 2 cents on it. The only thing that bothered me about this game was its menu design and constant odd spell swapping. It looked like it was designed by an intern who just took his first day of game development class in college. Though besides the awful menu, and terrible advertising, I quite enjoyed the game. ** Wouldn't recommend it to a single friend who loves Metroid style games, but I would recommend it to everyone who is big fans of dark souls, super meat boy, cuphead, etc. **

Generally favorable reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 25, 2014
    A great and hardcore platformer with RPG elements that's been created by just two people. But actually, this information does not matter while playing. The important thing is that Valdis Story is excellent fun for plenty of hours.
  2. Mar 17, 2014
    If you’re a fan of Metroidvania games, or indie games in general, you should definitely check out Valdis Story. With multiple playable characters, an interesting world to explore, and engaging gameplay, there are few reasons not to give this gem a chance. It may not do everything perfectly and it doesn’t tread much new ground, but it delivers a great experience wrapped up inside of a beautiful package for a cheap price. Bust out your PC game pad and take Wyatt on his adventure in the Abyssal City.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 23, 2014
    One can’t really complain about the lack of platformers these days, but when you pick up Valdis, you can be sure of getting the highest quality available. [Issue#238]