- Summary: Vampyr is set in early 20th century Britain as the country is gripped by the lethal Spanish flu and the streets of London are crippled by disease, violence and fear. In a disorganized and ghostly city, those foolish, desperate, or unlucky enough to walk the streets lay prey to Britain’s mostVampyr is set in early 20th century Britain as the country is gripped by the lethal Spanish flu and the streets of London are crippled by disease, violence and fear. In a disorganized and ghostly city, those foolish, desperate, or unlucky enough to walk the streets lay prey to Britain’s most elusive predators: the vampires. Emerging from the chaos, a tormented figure awakens. You are Jonathan E. Reid, a high-ranking military surgeon transformed into a vampire upon his return home from the frontline. Explore the darkly atmospheric streets of early 20th century London, and interact with a multitude of characters with their own identities and importance. Accept and fulfill the missions they give you, but don’t forget: sooner or later, you will have to feed, and make a difficult choice... who will be your prey? Absolutely all characters in the game are potential victims of your vampiric lust. Carefully study the habits of your next victim, his or her relationships with other characters, and set up your strategy to feed, unnoticed: seduce them, change their daily habits, or make sure they end up alone in a dark street… Be careful who you choose to hunt, as they will be gone forever, and their death will impact in a meaningful way the world that surrounds you. Feeding on human blood will not just keep you 'alive;' it will also unlock new vampiric powers to use. [Focus Home]… Expand
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Vampyr - E3 2016 Trailer
Jun 10, 2018An atmospheric, hardcore gothic narrative of high ambition. Dontnod’s direction and writing completely overshadow Vampyr’s technical and mechanical limitations, delivering a highly engaging, morally challenging interactive experience you will remember for a long time to come.
Jun 4, 2018What’s struck me most about my time with Vampyr is that it manages to turn you into a predator through its mechanics as much as it does with its storytelling. It does collapse under its own weight by the end, but the fact that it so effectively seduces you, almost trance-like, into roleplaying a villain makes it worth biting into.
Jun 4, 2018HISTORY
Vampyr already starts with an intense and heavy prologue to already let the player involved with the story, even though this mayHISTORY
Vampyr already starts with an intense and heavy prologue to already let the player involved with the story, even though this may leave him a little lost about how the game will be since the first hour of play is fairly linear. You take on the role of Dr. Jonathan Reid, a renowned physician who served in the war and has now been transformed and seeks answers and revenge from those who did this to you. The story is rather focused on the city of London, devastated by an epidemic.
The Vampyr universe is greatly expanded in terms of mythologies and cultures, creating space for various types of organizations and groups in the game, such as secret vampire societies, shady sororities, hunter groups, and high-class vampire societies that govern the region, as well as other things that you discover throughout the game. The game is full of characters, each with its own characteristics and missions. Although Vampyr's promotional images that show cities full of people moving and interacting are a deceptive advertisement, you really feel inside a living and functional place.
In the game you will need to know how to divide your bloodthirsty vampire side with your renowned doctor side, taking advantage to feed on these characters or helping them and improving the city. Your choices will affect the direction of the story of the game, as well as the direction of each city district and the destination of the characters that are there. As the game progresses (the main story takes 15 to 20 hours to be completed) the story is getting as intense as the prologue but leaving more room for choices rather than demotivating linearity.
A big problem of the game is to force you to have a certain personality and affection for a certain character, something that I as a player did not understand where it came from and I could not relate because of the choices I made in the game. The DONTNOD Entertainment team had done something similar and forced on Life is Strange and it seems they made the same mistake.
As Vampyr it is an RPG of choices, open world and full of combat, I will divide this session into two parts: Choices and Combat.
In terms of choices, the game has more effect on your actions than on dialog options. While it's amazing that you can just go on an NPC that would normally give you several missions, interact with the world around you and simply choose to kill him to quench your blood thirst (and gain a lot, but a lot XP with it), the dialogue options are almost always limiting and in the whole game only in 3 or 4 moments you will make big decisions because of these options. In some moments where you think you need to make a decision of extreme importance in the game, he chooses the destiny for you as well.
Whenever you sleep, that is when you can evolve, the game shows the results of your actions in each district, showing if the district has become healthier or gone into chaos. Depending on the level of the district, certain NPCs will act differently and may improve the status of some and in worse cases, leading to the death of others.
Already in combat, the game is sensational in every way. The combat is very similar to Witcher 2 and 3 (this is not going to be the last time I'll use Witcher for reference in this review), except that instead of being a hunter with equipment prepared to defeat a certain monster, you are the monster needing to watch out for hunters who know all their weaknesses. The game does not have a lot of variety of enemies (inferior vampires, hunters, monsters and vampires of high level), but knows to vary in the abilities that each one of them has as you get stronger in the game, which is great since, in a universe only of vampires, to escape of the pattern with enemies only to satisfy the will of the combat player, would be a negative point in the whole lore of the game.
Hunters will only start with swords, torches and silver pistols, but as you progress through the game, the same hunters will start to carry crosses, garlic, higher precision rifles and even flamethrowers! The same goes for lower vampires, who will be stronger and have some new abilities. High level vampires find you only in some areas of the game and will start to use more skills similar to yours.
Another thing the game has in common with Witcher 3 (not that this is Witcher 3's original or inspired by it), is the Witcher's sense. In the case of Vampyr, vampire sense. And it works the same way and is used by the game in the same way, you change your you change your vision to follow traces of blood or see enemies hidden by the map. Unlike the Witching sense, the vampire sense is not so charged to be used in so many missions and can be used more strategically by the player to avoid fighting or locating things hidden by the map.
Vampyr is a very, very good game.… Expand
Jul 23, 2020I've geuinely enjoyed my experience with this game. I thought the story was good, the combat was a bit iffy at times but it never bothered meI've geuinely enjoyed my experience with this game. I thought the story was good, the combat was a bit iffy at times but it never bothered me because this game excelled in its story, and the aesthetic for the game was spot on. Also, the music in this game is amazing, it really suits the theme perfectly.… Expand
Jun 9, 2018Who gives a damn about Graphics?? Sheez the **** about graphics are God damn annoying!! I am very glad that we have a Great Vampire game andWho gives a damn about Graphics?? Sheez the **** about graphics are God damn annoying!! I am very glad that we have a Great Vampire game and I give this game a VERY Solid 8 and 9-10 for overall ... Well done DontNod and Focus Home Interactive!… Expand
Jul 6, 2018Vampyr has some really good aspects and some not so much but overall the game experience was good. But I wouldn't pay more than $25 for it ifVampyr has some really good aspects and some not so much but overall the game experience was good. But I wouldn't pay more than $25 for it if I could. The game strength lies in it's writing so if you are not a fan of the talkie talkie, I would move on. It's weakness is the combat although not horrible it could use some tweaking. I also couldn't figure out how to target people with the K&M so I had to use the controller. I wish the game was a little more gruesome with the vampire bites as it seemed a bit tame. I also wasn't sure about the no fast travel in an open world setting. I mean, I understand why they did it. The game's full map is kinda small and having fast travel would have made the game a 15 hour game vs a 25 hour game. Game would have been more fun if it had a Nioh like combat and upgrade system. But definitely worth a peek.… Expand
Apr 29, 2019the developers should be ashamed of themselves to release such a poor game.
- tons of bugs
- no manual save, only 1 auto-save (and with thethe developers should be ashamed of themselves to release such a poor game.
- tons of bugs
- no manual save, only 1 auto-save (and with the constant game breaking bugs it's just impossible to play)
- enemies respawn all the time
- outdated graphics
Edit: I still quite enjoyed the game (after I created a script to automatically backup my save files so I can reload previous saves), so increasing the score to 5.… Expand
Mar 26, 2021One of the worst games I have played.
2. It is too boring to find some quest items without highlight. Why should I run around theOne of the worst games I have played.
2. It is too boring to find some quest items without highlight. Why should I run around the map repeatedly to find something?
3. Long load time. Especially when I enter a load by mistake, it wastes time to get out.
4. Useless options. Just eat them or feed them for eat.
5. MOST IMPORTANT why I cannot continue play after ending. All items collected and NPC fed is waste. Cannot select chapter or replay quest. It is ridiculous for a multiple event game that must start new save to experience.
6. Poor plot. There are not many things in main quest, it just is stuffed by a lot of setting.
Though I do not think it worth spoil
the sister Mary appears suddenly and just for kill her again. It is illogical. If she understands the thirsty of blood, she should not blame her brother, otherwise she does not need to worry about becoming vampire. And at the end there is no explanation about how exactly turn hero and why throw our hero into pit. If that blood ghost can appear everywhere why he can not just care about the process. And at end the knight also appears abruptly. And many characters are useless too. Like Old Bridge is only for adding more setting.
About game play, it is stupid to chop, chop, chop. Useless item and skill
I wonder how such a bad game can get high score.… Expand