4.3

1. Dec 29, 2015
    Horribly optimized cash grab that feels like an alpha game. Same terrible, unfinished mess as before, but with the name changed to try to hide from the terrible reviews it got before. Do not buy this abomination, and do not believe anyone giving it a positive score as they are most likely paid off.
  2. Jan 23, 2016
    First of all this game is trash, even after the "re-release". Secondly and what made me want to even bother with this is to call out ZeusApollon. That account has only reviewed one game AND wrote a essay as to why this game is good. The studio topware has been called out now many times to use fake accounts promoting their game which is disgusting.

tl;dr: Don't buy it, almost all postive

tl;dr: Don't buy it, almost all postive reviews are from bots.
  3. Dec 17, 2015
    Well Talzola sounds like a Topware employee as I have played this game from start to finish and it is a complete waste of time. Was so encouraged to hear about it a few years back but after one dev studio was ripped off by Topware and then another, Reality Pump, bankrupted by Topware during its' creation - it is no wonder why this game is such a sad and dismal piece of work. The writingWell Talzola sounds like a Topware employee as I have played this game from start to finish and it is a complete waste of time. Was so encouraged to hear about it a few years back but after one dev studio was ripped off by Topware and then another, Reality Pump, bankrupted by Topware during its' creation - it is no wonder why this game is such a sad and dismal piece of work. The writing and voice overs are so childish it sounds like a school kid did them and that is just for starters. If you can get past the poorly written and directed dialogue and story then you have to deal with the terrible combat, horrible frame rates and character art that looks like someone from an 80's artist reunion created. I mean come on - how cliché can it get with every women looking like that chick who used to show horror movies back in the day. What could have been great is sadly a worthless piece of crap and they even changed the name when it is the same game with patches. Expand
  4. Nov 26, 2015
    This is still a terrible game and I cannot stand games that have DRM when the overall quality of the game is terrible. Like I'm a thief for buying your game legitimately while playing through such a poorly optimized terrible game.

Also the developers are suspected (May or may not be true) of posting false positive reviews on Steam and Metacritic about the game to trick people into buying this.

This apparently was supposed to be a 'New and Improved' version over the god awful Raven's Cry and although the improvements are there. It still doesn't change this game from still remaining terrible

Optimized? - for £35 pound, how dare you expect such an effort(?!)
    Graphics - They're alright but everything is just so dark
    Gameplay? - Uncomfortable at best

This game is a complete waste of time, money and effort. Developer, Publisher and Customer alike. Move on and maybe one day we'll get a really great Pirate RPG but this isn't it at all
  5. Dec 7, 2015
    So Topware Interactive fired most of the Reality Pump team - then instead of making a new game - they just patched the old game and changed the name to walk away from the terrible reviews.

This is an old fashioned money grab from Topware and I am writing metacritic to get the review from Raven's Cry posted onto this game as it is the same game that is now somewhat fixed, but is still completely awful.

On top of that they barrage Steam with fake reviews to try and make a quick buck from unsuspecting users.

Shame on you Topware
  6. Nov 29, 2015
    One of the worst game ever published in human history. This is the remake of the already abysmal "Raven's Cry", a literally broken game. Beware of fake reviews on Steam.
  7. Jan 23, 2016
    After playing this "game" I wished only for the soothing embrace of death. I feel dirty for trying it. My soul is black and the PTSD is strong. Kill me. Please. Kill me.
  8. Mar 14, 2016
    This game seems to have a lot of potential. Pity:

No quest locator, which wouldn't be so bad if you could *climb over barrels or minor obstacles* - which you cannot. So everywhere you turn you are hitting walls of barrels, bales and timber that my 3 year old could climb, yet you cannot. I encountered an invisible wall in the first 2 minutes of escaping from the tavern - told to
    This game seems to have a lot of potential. Pity:

I encountered an invisible wall in the first 2 minutes of escaping from the tavern - told to escape the town, tried to jump into the jungle, bam, invisible wall.

The penultimate weird thing is, in the keyboard mapping menu, there are TWO entries for most of the skills, like 'heal' and 'fear' are both bound to 4. Typically, pressing 4 does nothing at all.

The most amazingly bad thing is, both the characters pointing *and* the map rotate on the mini map, so you never know where you are going. Basically the exact opposite of what a compass should be.

Disappointing, as the game looks like it could be really good, like a modern version of Sea Dogs. Pity it was, like most poor games, apparently play tested by the people who made it, thus unable to spot or critique themselves correctly.

A modern version of Pirates! this is not.
  9. May 20, 2016
    No idea why people rate it so bad. I really enjoyed it, most bugs of the original game have been fixed and there isn't really anything to complain about. For me, as a pirate game love it was absolutely enjoyable.
  10. Nov 27, 2015
    First of all I have to say that I never played the old version Raven's Cry before it was "enhanced", but waited til the new Vendetta: Curse of Ravens Cry came out. So my review is about the end product of this game, and not about the old Raven's Cry.

I just have to start with that I really like this game! Sea battle is great, beautiful graphics, nice voice overs, funny and very good soundtrack and nice quests. The land combat system takes a while getting used to, but when you master it it's working good, and is different from the standard click fest of games like Skyrim, and many of the modern RPG's out there.

The feel of the game/atmosphere reminds me a bit of a combination of Gothic/Risen, Two worlds 2, The Witcher 1 in how it plays out. But in the same way totally different, with sea battles, trading of good etc...

There has been much raving on the forums of this game about both false positive reviews and false negative reviews (from old sacked co-workers from the dev team), but I don't think that should be what you are judging this game from.

Is this a very good european RPG? Yes it is. Do you have fun playing it? Absolutely! Does it have a good story? Pretty decent. Nice graphics? Wonderful. Bug free? Not totally bug free yet, but haven't experienced and game breaking bugs so far, and the ones that is there will be patched out soon as I have understood.

I just think it would be such a shame for people being talked away from this great game, just because some people are angry of the old Raven's Cry. It's not right, because Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry is a great game!!

As I see a user under me have given it 0 out of 10 (which is just a shame, and based of the old Raven's Cry in many ways) I'm bumping my score up from 8 to 10 to even it out.

When a developer have worked hard and done right by the end, they deserve to get credit for it.
  11. Mar 14, 2016
    I don't get it.. People just write "The Game is bad" without giving any reasons. Stuff like "its bad because the previous game was bad" is just stupid. Seems like most of the reviewers didn't play the re release at all. Play it and build your own opinion. BTW: No one paid me to write this, it just seriously annoys me that people rate based on their experiences from a previous version.
  12. Oct 19, 2020
    I am for real. I don't know how, but it looks amateurish. But if you look through that, this game is so detailed. There is something interesting to see on every square meter. You can go in pubs and these pubs are so atmospheric. there's a band playing music. There's so much to see. These developers put a lot of effort in the game world. I give it a 8. Don't always try to look forI am for real. I don't know how, but it looks amateurish. But if you look through that, this game is so detailed. There is something interesting to see on every square meter. You can go in pubs and these pubs are so atmospheric. there's a band playing music. There's so much to see. These developers put a lot of effort in the game world. I give it a 8. Don't always try to look for professionalism. This is unique. Expand
  13. Mar 16, 2020
    A poor game. Average graphics, cliche story and bad combat. Not worth the time and better alternatives out there.
  14. Jan 3, 2018
    There has been a sort of resurgence of the pirate game recently, with indie studios at the helm of said comeback. Games like Winward, Tempest (also very cool!), Sea Dogs and obviously (not an indie but still relevant to the conversation) SM's timeless epic, Pirates!, have kept digital caribbean plundering alive for the past few years. Yet, while these are all brave efforts, apart from ACThere has been a sort of resurgence of the pirate game recently, with indie studios at the helm of said comeback. Games like Winward, Tempest (also very cool!), Sea Dogs and obviously (not an indie but still relevant to the conversation) SM's timeless epic, Pirates!, have kept digital caribbean plundering alive for the past few years. Yet, while these are all brave efforts, apart from AC Black Flag (and that other multiplayer cash grab Ubi's working on), I can't think of any other AAA Pirate-themed game to have come out recently, and it is with that hunger for open sea adventure that I have approached this flawed gem of a game. Topware may not be an independant studio by any stretch of the imagination, but this game's development history and budget surely place it in a category closer to the realities of indie development than those of a juggernaut such as Ubisoft. The comparison is drawn simply because of the veritable similarities in design and style, and the fact that the are both contemporary and target the same audience. In any case though, I honestly think that if given a shot, Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry might grow on you, and as it happened with me, you might actually end up loving it.

I found myself desperately wanting to play a Pirate-themed game recently. I have tried pretty much everything that has come out on PC over the past 20 years or so (not many Pirate games in two decades), and due to horrible scores and a despicable reputation, I had decided putting Vendetta off until I really needed my Pirate fix. I bought it fairly soon after launch, but just yesterday, as the gods of gaming answered my calls for digital piratey goodness, Steam notified me that a few days ago a new patch came out for this game, and people were actually enjoying it.

So I Installed it and here I am after a 12 hour gaming binge pillaging throughout the caribbean seas. I was not expecting a Skyrim-like session coming from playing such a globally hated, and I mean despised game. But dare I say it, this thing is excellent. And. Yes. I even like it more than AC Black Flag. I won't waste time explaining why, but lets just say that Black Flag needed to be its own game...away from the AC cash machine that fathered it. Where that one was rich in visuals, it was limited by the legacy of its forefathers and a bunch of stuff was included that really break the pirate experience. Vendetta on the other (poorer) side of the spectrum, has less booty, but a lot more heart, and truly scratches that itch I had for something pirate-flavored.

Open world, dynamic trading, crew hiring and management, ship upgrades and ship upgrading from sloop to galleon, awesome ship combat and boarding, great and immersive music, beautiful graphics and very stable (on high end machine), sea exploration, land exploration (treasure hunting!), cool taverns, immersively populated towns and cities (and world), decent voice acting, a story that so far has me intrigued...everything that is needed for an epic pirate experience you might think, and while all of these features are developed with true indie quality (with all the good and bad that may entail), Vendetta is more about atmosphere and evoking the feeling of being in the tattered boots of a mercenary Pirate captain, rather than in the cloak of a high seas jackie Chan...and then there is the sword combat system. I'll be blunt, if you do not invest in it seriously, and I mean flight sim level seriousness here, trying to figure out the system's complexity (and clunkiness), will lead you to believe, just as thousands of others, that the combat is disastrous. And there is so much of it, most will give up the hunt before the treasure is even revealed. This is probably the main reason behind all the hatred since it is not fluid and spectacular, but iut is not automated either and poses a real challenge. Stick with it. After a while you'll understand it's weird, unintuitive and unforgivable timing patterns and once you're there, you may realize its actually fun(ish), and not nearly as bad as you may initially may have thought. Vendetta must be experienced as the sum of it's parts, and then you might see its' well hidden charm and appeal.

But a few will brave Vendetta's murky waters, and those patient enough to do so, may actually be rewarded with one of the most complete and epic pirate games made in recent memory, that is, if Sid Meier's Pirates! has run it course in your gaming library, or if the AC part of Black Flag sunk that ship for you. If you like pirates, exploration and have the patience, give it a go. It truly is a great pirate game.

Real score: 8.5 (I will give a 10 to affect the average)
  15. Jul 29, 2020
    Having played it for a couple of hours today after watching Jim Sterling play it on Youtube from a few years, It's alright few quirky bugs like i was suddenly one hitting people from a distance with the sword. Idea behind it is actually alright. Im actually having fun with it which is basically only reason i play games. The combat seems pretty straight forward but there is a knack to it.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic Review

1. Feb 26, 2016
    This unnecessarily drawn out, dull revenge story will bore you to death before it reaches its predictable ending — even if you have been longing for a pirate adventure.