5.9

1. Feb 2, 2019
    Finally a game where I can live my nostalgic childhood of games like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars. On top of the fact that maps can be created and shared across PC, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One. This game is also on PS4, but because of Sony's ruling, you cannot cross-play between the other consoles if you own it on that platform.

GAME PLAY The game play is spectacular. It plays like

GAME PLAY

The game play is spectacular. It plays like Advance Wars but with a few differences. For example, instead of your commander issuing commands in the background, they actually fight with you on the battlefield and are pretty OP at that. You have to be careful though, if your commander dies, you lose. The map creator allows you to create skirmishes, campaigns, puzzle maps, and scenarios. Unlike other campaign editors, though, this game allows you to create your own cut scenes.

SOUND

The music is pretty good. I find myself repeating the melodies throughout battle.

VISUALS

The visuals are what you would expect from a Fire Emblem or Advance Wars game but to me, I find it scratching that nostalgic factor.

Although, out of all of the good things this game has, I do however have a complaint here and there. You cannot save multiple games at the same time. You can exit and return to where you left off but that is it. This can be fixed in updates or mods in the future, though. You, also, cannot pick random AI or pick a difficulty for AI either for skirmishes. Again, this can be fixed in future updates or mods.

Despite these couple of cons, I give this game a solid 9/10 or if I could, a 9.5/10. For $20 (with a %15 discount right now if you have Stardew Valley or Starbound on Steam), this game is a must have for anyone.
  2. Feb 8, 2019
    Basically a modern day advance wars. An overall solid game at a relatively low price.
  3. Mar 14, 2021
    A remake of Advanced Wars, but in fantasy setting.

Good: - it's a sold TBS with good controls - graphics are pixelated and look nice - online multiplayer and map editor So-so: - I personally don't like that essentially for each unit there is a table how much dmg it would to every other unit type. Such a system is just not elegant in my opinion. Though I understand that for most
    A remake of Advanced Wars, but in fantasy setting.

Good:
    - it's a sold TBS with good controls
    - graphics are pixelated and look nice
    - online multiplayer and map editor

So-so:
    - I personally don't like that essentially for each unit there is a table how much dmg it would to every other unit type. Such a system is just not elegant in my opinion. Though I understand that for most players is okay or maybe even great
    - I may be too old for it, but I didn't the cliche story and how it was written. I can't recall the story in Advanced Wars - maybe it was similarly kids-targeted. I think they should have made it more like a parody of RPGs to make it funnier and fit better with the art style

Bad:
    - nothing really. Well, it feels unoriginal but that's the purpose, as it's an intentional remake for the Advanced Wars audience.

A fantasy remake of Advanced Wars with multipalyer and map editor - a gift for Advanced Wars fans and still a TBS worth checking out for other TBS players.
  4. Mar 19, 2020
    Wow, I'm not sure why so many people are bashing this game so hard. People who are Fire Emblem fans should embrace every game of this genre, as well as the differences they have from their pioneers. Keep in mind, Wargroove is an indie! It is not an AAA multi-million dollar budget masterpiece. The story and gameplay is very solid and manages to maintain the heart of the genre.

Wargroove

Wargroove has its own interesting story and a good mix of different characters with their own set of missions. The graphics are perfect and the game is optimized. There is a fairly good amount of missions in the game, which should last you a good week or so of active gameplay. This game is rather well-made, so I recommend anyone who can't get enough of this genre to at least give it a try.

Now then, the primary issue with this game is balancing. The default difficulty is Hard, which means that both sides inflict the same amount of damage. This may sound fair, but halfway through the campaign, enemies start with significantly more troops and funds than you, making it impossibly difficult to beat them. You have to rely on trial and error, which is tedious since you constantly keep losing. I dropped the difficulty to Medium because the game just wasn't progressing, and after I did that, the game felt a lot more balanced.

On the other hand, near the end of the game when navies and dragons become available, they are incredibly overpowered and the AI doesn't know how to properly deal with them and doesn't act logically when it comes to protecting their base, so missions are a lot easier than they should be. Again, balancing.

DOUBLE TROUBLE DLC - 7/10
    A free addition to the game; this DLC adds nine* extra missions for you to play (*excluding the tutorial). To access it, you have to go into Co-op and not the default campaign. You can play it solo just fine.

The main issue with this DLC is, as you can guess, balancing issues again. The tutorial provided is a walk in the park, and then you're simply thrown to the wolves with missions that range from hard to impossible. Definitely not family friendly.

As a solo experience, I would give this DLC a 7/10 for being a decent way to juice a bit more out of the game, although it doesn't really introduce anything new. As a co-op experience, I suggest just not bothering altogether, unless you're willing to drop the difficulty to accommodate your partner's skill level.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 18, 2020
    For the fans of the admittedly niche genre of turn-based RPGs, Wargroove is quite a find considering its price and the amount of content it offers. If you have ever wanted to bask in nostalgia and step back into the waters of classic turn-based titles, Wargroove can offer you a trip back in time and a couple of dozen happy hours.
  2. Aug 23, 2019
    I’m an antisocial recluse and took no advantage of the features available by connecting to the Internet, but the presence of such things in addition to the core experience means Wargroove has an enormous amount of content. Even without going through all the internet-enabled content, this game has plenty of material to keep anyone interested in a tactical experience invested. It’s not a game in which every element is effective, especially for those who demand a powerful narrative, but Chucklefish has made something worth investigating for those thinking Nintendo has let Advance Wars sit around without a follow-up for too long.
  3. Mar 27, 2019
    Wargroove goes further than Advance Wars, with a map editor and a more permissive campaign. With a strong gameplay, neat animation and beautiful art, it’s difficult to find any true flaw to Wargroove.