7.7

1. Jul 21, 2021
    Was a hard game to purchase despite the reasonable price tag. Paper Mario art style does not appeal to me at all, but I gave it a shot and I'm glad I did. Quite a fun distraction in a form of RPG. Characters grow and develop their own stories through randomly generated events under an overarching nemesis. I did like 3 campaigns and did get bored, but those campaigns are quite memorable! IWas a hard game to purchase despite the reasonable price tag. Paper Mario art style does not appeal to me at all, but I gave it a shot and I'm glad I did. Quite a fun distraction in a form of RPG. Characters grow and develop their own stories through randomly generated events under an overarching nemesis. I did like 3 campaigns and did get bored, but those campaigns are quite memorable! I think this is a great concept for a game, and only way it could be improved is maybe having a more interesting artstyle (16 bit?) and more variety in the random events. Just keep making more and more events to make the fresh campaigns more engaging! Expand
  2. Jul 15, 2021

AAA publishers should look at this game and weep.

To be quick about it: this game is a triumph. The writing is bittersweet, goofy, and surprisingly deep in equal measure. Seriously, after suffering through the cringe-worthy writing in FF7 Remake, this game is food to a starving man. The storytelling is fantastic and at a quality level that I thought would be impossible in a procedurally generated game.

The combat seems simple at first, but it is surprisingly deep. It plays like a really good tabletop strategy-RPG board game, which is saying a lot. Those types of game normally far outstrip the quality of strategy video games.

Overall, it is a game that must be experienced. The art style, the music, the writing, the gameplay, the plot lines, the randomness...it all pulls together in a brilliant way. I am as impressed by this offering as I was when I fist picked up Hades.
  3. Aug 8, 2021
    In the world of small indie RPGs, Wildermyth is a standout. Certainly a lot of major studio releases costing four times as much have been less satisfactory.

That said, if you need something that stresses your equipment, brain, and reactions to the breaking point, this isn't it. But the stories are interesting, the relationships complex, the battle tactics rewarding, and the replayability outstanding. The game bends over backwards to give you all the help you want, so your energy goes into figuring out what to do rather than puzzling over how to do it.

For the money, it's hard to beat. Following are comments from a relevant reddit thread:

Is Wildermyth actually deep and replayable?
    I’m thinking about buying the game, but I’ve noticed something kinda strange about the reviews for Wildermyth. Most people are saying that it has amazing procedural storytelling and you can play it endlessly.

But then there’s a handful of official reviews saying that it gets old after a single campaign, and some of the most upvoted steam reviews are saying that you’ve seen everything after only 10 hours.

Just wondering if there’s any truth to the latter opinions.

Edit: Thanks everyone. Sounds like most of the negatives I heard weren’t as bad as I thought. Definitely gonna pick this game up soon.

In the sense of Civilization being deep and replayable or a roguelike being deep and replayable. Each campaign has a similar high level arc and foundational strategies. The events that happen are random, with each campaign experiencing only a fraction of them. The evolution and stories of the characters are random, though somewhat guided by you.

I've played through most of the fully scripted story campaigns and a few fully procedural campaigns; there are still several major possible events I know about from this community that haven't happened. There are a few others I've seen 3+ times.

In my second campaign I saw a bunch of repeated events, which led me to think I was rapidly seeing everything there is to see. But I think I just got unlucky - in the several campaigns I've played since I have seen almost all new events.

I do think that the combat gets pretty stale rather quickly as there is really just one dominant strategy - move forward, kill everything in range, new monsters advance in but weren't close enough to attack, repeat. BUT this is mostly due to playing on too low difficulty AND there are a ton of mods by Smoker which greatly expand the items, abilities, and re-balance the combat a bit. This has immensely improved my enjoyment of the combat system. And I'm sure there are more mods coming to continue this process, adding new events or even new entire campaigns.

You should only buy it if you like playing amazing games.

I’m not sure what your expectations are for a $25 game but I’ve played about 30 hours and when I consider the value of a game I compare it to a $10 two hour movie. Given that, I definitely think it’s worth it. I’ve been playing RPGs for decades and I found a lot of the narrative to be really heartfelt and the experiences very original. Events tend to repeat now and then but I wouldn’t say it takes away from the game enough for me to review it negatively.

I’m really looking forward to some of the fan made content (and DLC?) and will probably try my hand at making some myself :)

I have 50 hours and have done 5 or 6 campaigns. I am someone who hates repetitive gameplay or stories, but in this game it hasn’t gotten old. Even though events repeat, a. I’m still getting new ones at 50 hours, and b. the ones that do repeat are still interesting because it’s happening to new characters, or with different interactions or choices made.

I think it is a perfect secondary game. Something you don't binge, but rather play though a campaign every couple of weeks. I usually play I in between games or if I need a break from my primary game.

I've got nearly 40 hours and I've only seen a few repeat events happen so far. Thing is, for those events that repeated, the dialogue wasn't the same because the characters either: had different personalities that changed the dialogue, or they were rivals/lovers that also altered it as well.

You definitely could play it 'endlessly', but it won't be 100% unique events every single time. But different choices do change the outcome of the event, especially if you fail an event's roll which also has a different outcome for your characters.

[I would have just given you the link, but apparently Metacritic won't allow that]
  4. Jul 7, 2021
    This game is not for everyone and it can take 2hrs to get exciting when more stories, equipment, combat/strategic elements get introduced slowly. I'd describe the story as similar to Duck Tales. It is not a very serious story but it can get as epic as your imagination. The transformation system is very fascinating with the results sometimes character build-breaking in a bad way. They areThis game is not for everyone and it can take 2hrs to get exciting when more stories, equipment, combat/strategic elements get introduced slowly. I'd describe the story as similar to Duck Tales. It is not a very serious story but it can get as epic as your imagination. The transformation system is very fascinating with the results sometimes character build-breaking in a bad way. They are very interesting and there are some strategic planning required as your party will get old and retire so you need to train up new party members to finish the campaign. min/maxing stats and gear farming are not the focus of the game. It is more of a choose your adventure RPG. The combat can be brutal as your the guy who has been with you for 3 chapters can get 2shot and mained. don't expect Divinity 2 here but this is a unique fun RPG experience.

I didnt get invested until about 3hrs in after my waifu got turned into a warewolf, my best friend transformed into a rock and my son got turned into a crow for talking crap.
  5. Jul 11, 2021
    Your characters grow on you. You start with a party of a warrior, a mage and a ranger and from there their character evolution is a mystery. Will they get to the end untouched? Will they bear scars that never fully heal? Will they fall in love ? Every player will have a unique experience, this game is simply a masterpiece and I'm hoping to see future updates.
  6. Jun 24, 2021
    One of the best games I've played all year. I never would've imagined that I'd feel such attachment to procedurally-generated characters, but the combination of leveling up, gearing up, and gradually evolving your character through random events creates a brilliant uniqueness for each character, one that feels much deeper than it has any right to. I've faced moral dilemmas when forced toOne of the best games I've played all year. I never would've imagined that I'd feel such attachment to procedurally-generated characters, but the combination of leveling up, gearing up, and gradually evolving your character through random events creates a brilliant uniqueness for each character, one that feels much deeper than it has any right to. I've faced moral dilemmas when forced to sacrifice a prized veteran to win a seemly impossible match. I've felt incredible relief landing a winning blow with my last standing character when failure seemed all but certain. I've felt incredible highs when luck turns my way, and I've felt dreadful lows when an unlucky event maims a key character. After three campaigns and 30+ hours of gameplay, I'm still learning new strategies, discovering new events, and facing new enemies. I've played with dozens of characters, no two the same. And I know I have hundreds more hours of adventuring to complete.

As insane as it sounds, this may be my game of the year. I doubt any other game will grab me like Wildermyth has or make me feel all the feels quite the same way.
  7. Jul 12, 2021
    This is far away from my usual type of game, preferring Simulation and Management games. I saw it on Steam and thought i'd give it a chance.
    I haven't stopped playing since purchase.
    I haven't stopped playing since purchase.

Music: Non-Invasive, adds to the atmosphere of the game and gets intense or mellows at the right parts. I'm working from home at the minute and have played this during quiet times, however have just left the game running when things pick up and had the music playing in the background and it didn't get annoying.

Graphics: Simple, customisable characters, reminicent of Fall Out in someways. All the skintones you need to really put yourself into the game and with Workshop access, the skys the limit. The characters are endearing, the worlds solid and the foes interesting but not grotesque.

Story/Writing: At times snarky, at others emotional, overall you can tell the writing team (or person initially) has put effort into their work and curated it to be "just right". The game is dialogue heavy at times, however combined with the gaphics and the engaging stories and the multiple-choice outcomes, it doesn't feel like a slog.

Overall: If you like TTRPG's, if you enjoy a more gentle approach to your gameplay but with exciting elements (akin to Stardew, but more action heavy), if you enjoy (customisable) storydriven gameplay...heck if you played Neopets way back when and were obsessed with KeyQuest, you will enjoy this game.

Just under £20 on Steam at the moment, not heavy on storage (2GB atm, developers are planning DLC in future), well worth the price for the amount of fun and engagement you'll be getting from this game.
  8. Jul 9, 2021
    What a great game, the best rpg I've played since Disco Elysium. I did not believe in the game premise, but it works pretty well
  9. Jul 5, 2021
    Maybe missing some variety in TBS battle part. But still probably will be a game to remember for years to come.
  10. Jul 7, 2021
    Easily my favourite game of 2021 so far. The story building is incredible. You will start with generic characters who you will grow to care about as their story develops, which will be unique depending on their two key personality characteristics they start with, who else is in the party and the relationships they form with them (rivalries, friendships and romances), as well as whatEasily my favourite game of 2021 so far. The story building is incredible. You will start with generic characters who you will grow to care about as their story develops, which will be unique depending on their two key personality characteristics they start with, who else is in the party and the relationships they form with them (rivalries, friendships and romances), as well as what happens to them or others in combat (friends or lovers dying, or being maimed and losing a limb). There are also opportunities that come up that can completely transform a character into a magical hybrid creature amongst other things.

The combat is great if you like turn based tactical gameplay, and there is meaningful skill progression which unlocks a wide array of abilities.

Overall I couldn’t be happier with this game.
  11. Jul 2, 2021
    its a story of love n friendship n rivalry . story of fallen soldiers
    story of epic battles
    its wasteland but a D&D rpg

11/10 masterpiece no doubt
  12. Aug 1, 2021
    The writing is bland and doesnt make much sense. The graphics are cardboard cutouts that bounce up and down. No voice overs or much in the way of sound effects. Very little in the way of initial customization. This could have been a good game but there are much better indie titles out there in a similar style.
  13. Jun 30, 2021
    Sluggish gameplay. It’s got it’s elements but I just can’t get into it. It’s not for gamers like me who look for a Zelda type story and gameplay in games.
  14. May 4, 2022
    Interesting concept spoiled by a very boring storyline and extremely verbose characters!

A time came when I just couldn't care about the story or dialogues. Started skipping through them. The only other remaining gameplay was the turn-based "strategy" which I found to be dull and boring. Also, recruiting a hero seemed impossible because the game didn't give me that option more

Also, recruiting a hero seemed impossible because the game didn't give me that option more than once.

Overall, a very unsatisfying game!
  15. Dec 1, 2021
    Wildermyth is something special. Not all about looks, but about stories. Stories that the players makes, with their own choices, building up their characters over time.

Your characters will not live the same adventure as mine, nor will they react the same way. If I could wish for something more from the game, it would be a larger diversity of events, and a larger diversity of skills.

If I could wish for something more from the game, it would be a larger diversity of events, and a larger diversity of skills. Just.. more of what is already there. So that the feeling of mystery, of adventure, that it so greatly explores, feels fresh for a very long time.
  16. Jul 13, 2022
    The art for this game is gorgeous. If only the gameplay could back it up. Turn based combat feels so empty in this game. See X-Com for where turn based combat can leave you screaming in joy or pain at the screen. I never once felt that level of emotion with this.
    Procedurally generated characters leaves them feeling empty and lifeless, like they were generated by an algorithm. Probably because they were generated by an algorithm. I saw through this facade so easily, because it's right in your face when you encounter the next procedurally generated character option, six hours into the game, that you've already seen. The art for this game has so much life and creativity. Why is everything else so lifeless?
  17. Jan 4, 2022
    No game has ever gotten me so emotionally attached to randomly generated characters. It also evokes such amazing feelings of adventure, that I've only previously felt while playing pen and paper RPGs with my friends.
  18. Jan 3, 2022
    The first 10 hour experience is phenomenal. After that you will find events become repetitive and less and less enjoyable
  19. Jan 17, 2022
    절차적생성으로 이 정도 즐거움을 준다는게 놀랍지만 한번 그 패턴이 눈에 익히기 시작하면 질리기 시작하는 한계점이 빠르게 찾아온다....
  20. Jul 4, 2022
    I have finished the first 3 parts of the game. About 13 chapters. Adventure difficulty. Enjoyable turn-based strategy. But it repeats itself a bit. The storytelling and variety of the game is nice. It's good to see the characters we created especially in this story. I didn't like the inventory system very much. There could have been a wider bag system for items. The game generally has aI have finished the first 3 parts of the game. About 13 chapters. Adventure difficulty. Enjoyable turn-based strategy. But it repeats itself a bit. The storytelling and variety of the game is nice. It's good to see the characters we created especially in this story. I didn't like the inventory system very much. There could have been a wider bag system for items. The game generally has a simple gameplay in adventure difficulty. If you want a comfortable gameplay and are new to turn-based games, I recommend this game. Expand
  21. Oct 23, 2021
    This is worth picking up for fans of turn based strategy who can get past the visual aesthetics.

If you are a fan of turn based rpg's this game is very good if you give it a chance. I was initially turned away by the appearance of the game (which seemed childish), but after playing it for many hours the gameplay kept me coming back. Also worth noting that there is a degree of challenge and reminds me a little of darkest dungeon with having to replace lost characters. The only things that bother me or I believe would improve the game is a change of visuals and some changes in the main story. In the end a fun game.
  22. Dec 24, 2021
    Fun game, and a fresh take with the comic book style making it feel like you are writing your own story.
  23. Jul 24, 2022
    Simplistic and cute. Some of the stories are really deep. This is a rare example of the game with a soul. "Something in the woods is very strange..."
  24. Jun 13, 2022

Generally favorable reviews - based on 22 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 17, 2022
    A beautifully styled roleplay experience that takes the best of both tabletop and computer gaming worlds. Heroes age, time goes on, but there are always monsters to be slain. Join the fun.
  2. Dec 14, 2021
    Wildermyth is trying something very few other RPGs do, and it's cool to see how well it all comes together. I find it to be technically impressive and remarkably novel, but unfortunately, the end result is not as interesting as I hoped it would be. Still, with a great aesthetic and a solid enough combat system, it is an earnestly made game unlike much anything else.
  3. Oct 29, 2021
    Wildermyth is a fun storytelling game with a ton of possible variance between playthroughs. The stories you make with the game can be very interesting, though it has a tendency to repeat itself a little too frequently.